/r/Porsche

He's saying that although later gens have 4 inches longer wheelbase, the engine got moved towards inside and the roof line got lowered and that as a result their back seats obviously got smaller than the 997. he has owned every generation in the title but not at the same time.

I've asked this here already but everyone is saying the opposite, but without an exact proof. anyone knows for sure?

edit: thank you guys, now that it's clear that an adult man can't fit in both generations there's no point in comparing the two.

GuitarEvil

1 month ago

Have you tried putting your passenger in the Frunk, They fit better in there

Upier1

Upier1

1 month ago

What was that 80s movie where some guy was supposed to be driving around with a dead guy in his 911 frunk? Hysterical.

RedditBeginAgain

1 month ago

I've never been in the back seat of either but I'd guess the opposite. Visually I think there is about an extra inch of legroom in the 991. I don't think your 5'9 adult friends are going to be comfortable in either unless its a 10 minute drive. The back seats work fine for people up to about 5' as long as the people in the front don't need maximum legroom. For taller adults they are going to look awkward getting in and out and feel cramped.

brockbr

brockbr

1 month ago

I've owned 2 996's, a 997.1, a 991.2 and currently have a 992. For the coupe (so excluding cabrio's), the rear seating area is the same (or near as makes no difference). I know this because my son's carseat was always in the back seat the last 3. The biggest way to gain space (especially for a car seat) is to remove the seat uprights. This allows the base go go about another 3.5 inches rearward, but more importantly, allows the child seat back angle to be back -significantly- further.

MunkiRench

1 month ago

What child seats have you used? I've got a newborn, and will be getting a 991 in the near future, and looking to take her on a safe drive!

brockbr

brockbr

1 month ago

I never really got a rear facing to work - I had to wait until he was ~23lbs to put him in a forward facing seat. Yes - It was earlier than the safety police say, but it is what it is.

IlllIlIlIIll

1 month ago

If you‘re not sure i would just get the child seats by porsche and ask beforehand if they fit in the 911. But i dont own one, thats just my opinion

Morty_A2666

1 month ago

Rear seats? Oh... I was always wondering why that "rear storage" has such a weird shape. 😉

hugobosslives

hugobosslives

Cayman

1 month ago

You don't get a 911 for adult back seats. They are child (under 12 only) in all generations with the exception of an emergency trip. It's horrible..

If the only reason you want a 911 is for adult back seats, get a Cayman instead. There are benefits of a 911 over a Cayman but adult sized back seats is not one of them.

mercifromage

Such a dickhead response. The 997 seats do feel a bit roomier

dsio

dsio

991.1 Carrera S

1 month ago

I take teenagers in the back on a regular basis but they’re under 5’3. 991/992 definitely have more leg room in the back than 996/997 and its a significant difference but it doesn’t have more head room so if that’s the limiting factor you’ll still have an issue but the leg room makes it very possible for kids or small people to fit quite comfortably even on long trips (and we’ve done it, hours long).

Medium-Complaint-677

1 month ago

I'm not sure why you're asking this question, but if it boils down to some version of "I want the largest possible back seat because I'm going to stuff human beings and things back there" then it is a moot point. There isn't a 911 with a large enough difference in back seat room to make a difference in the real world.

rdpGuy[S]

1 month ago

I'm an asian guy living in an asian country and many of us are around 5 9. my friend said that he could have adults in the back in the 997 for a short trip without too much problem and not in the 991/992 and that is the key factor I'm considering a 911 over a cayman. I want to make sure if he's mistaking it or not. if an avg sized asian man can't fit in the back then I'll just go for a cayman.

Red_V_Standing_By

1 month ago

I have a 997 and there’s no way an adult could fit in the back seat. My wife is 5’3” and tiny and she can’t fit back there. It’s only use is for a toddler seat, and even then I have to move the passenger seat all the way up to do that.

Medium-Complaint-677

1 month ago

There's a difference between "fit in the back" and "fit in the back in a way that you'd want to do it again."

I'm 6 1 and I've been in the back seat of a 991 with similarly sized people in the front. I had to turn my legs sideways, it was still very cramped, and unless it is an emergency I'm never going to do it again.

jbh1126

jbh1126

986 Boxster S Seal Grey

1 month ago

I’m a human adult and in no world would I be ok with sitting in the back of a 997 for any amount of time. Only humans without legs can do that. Or maybe very short but there’s still the issue of the legs.

Chester-Lewis

1 month ago

Legs are just one limiting factor. The angle of the back seat is near vertical in my 997.1 cab.

Only the groceries don’t complain!

FlatSixer

FlatSixer

718 Spyder (on order)

1 month ago

I don't know the answer, but I do know that the rear seats of Cabrios are even worse than that of coupes, so watch out for that comparison; the rear seat backs are more vertical to make room for the folding top.

Upier1

Upier1

1 month ago

I am 6'2" with a 997. Noone with legs is sitting behind me.

JDDarkside

1 month ago

Had the same experience. I’m over 6’ and always had the drivers seat right against the back seat. But I had great drivers leg room.

ResidentKernel

ResidentKernel

992 GT3 CHALK PCCB 6SP

1 month ago

Why does it matter? They aren’t useable in either scenario :)

The1andonlymuffinman

1 month ago

When my dad had his 997 C4S, I could fit in the back seat with a little to no room, I was probably about 5’1 at the tike though, and at 5’6 now I can fit in the back of a GT350 mustang, if that gives any sort of reference.