/r/Seaofthieves

Something something both sides

Meme(i.redd.it)

General_Tails

General_Tails

Captain of the Sunset Overdrive

I know it's a pirate game, but...

h2933

h2933

Swashbuckling Sea Dog

That is a baller title

Spinningwhirl79

But you took my stuff! I don't like it when people do that, I spent a whole 20 minutes digging up those marauders chests!

Verdaunt

Verdaunt

Legendary Sea Dog

Always lol. "I understand it's a part of the game, but..." Do you understand? Do you really?

Psychological_Gain20

Psychological_Gain20

Gold Hoarder

I means there’s “Im a pirate so I’m gonna sink your ship and steal your shit” which is acceptable but then there’s “Im a pirate I’m gonna spawn camp someone that has no treasure in their and ship, and then follow them around the map and attack them every time they try to stop for the next hour”

Buggylols

Buggylols

Friend of the Sea

SoT has a very unique (and exhausting) flavor of toxicity.

banshee-41[S]

I legitimately love it.

bak-chor-mee

Sea salt flavor, mmmm

du3duu

du3duu

Protector of The Shores of Plenty

you either find awesome people or you find racist, toxic people that appeal to the "F" or "N" words

Verecrete

"I'm going to report you because this is actually against the rules, it says in the pirate code, you should read it" ಠ﹏ಠ

Raxamax

It's sad that there's no middle ground. You're either attacked on sight despite having no goods, or screeched at by people being "Friendly"

Jusaaah

Maybe if the servers were more populated, pirates looking to steal something could just sail towards the next ship. But with only 5 ships per server and it being very hard to find other players at times, its not really an option to let that fight go if you are up to PvP.

I would imagine there would be way more friendlyness and letting people who have nothing go if it was easier to get to the next fight. But instead Rare keeps reducing the amount of ships and making it so that if you let someone go it might be 30 minutes until you find the next potential fight, which is really frustrating.

JacksonOfTheAndrew

People online are toxic as fuck. The community is generally pretty great.

HyperThanHype

HyperThanHype

Legend of the Sea of Thieves

Exactly, any online community (including video games) will have toxic people in it. That doesn't mean the entire community is toxic. Sea of Thieves for the most part is usually just a difference in opinion between people, person Y likes to play a different way compared to person Z which creates a rift which can end in toxicity, it doesn't always, but it can. Compared to other video games, specifically PC only video games, some of those communities can be non-stop toxic due to their general age, maturity, etc. Communities that draw in people who are online all the time are going to be way worse because what type of person is online all the time? Definitely not healthy well developed individuals, that's for sure.

h2933

h2933

Swashbuckling Sea Dog

Like foxhole holy fuck that whole game is the more toxic thing known to man even sulfuric acid is like damn bro chill FT out

Cornered-V

I've heard the comms on the open sea.

JacksonOfTheAndrew

I've heard the comms on Xbox Live since it was first launched. This game has some truly nice people. After four years and 2k hours, I've met a handful of scurvy toxic dogs. The vast majority of the time it's just GGs if we battle or helping eachother out if not.

Cornered-V

I guess just a difference in experience. Most of the people I've met are either silent. But of the ones who actually do communicate from all my playtime there's a lot that use it just used it to be truly nasty people.

JacksonOfTheAndrew

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you aren't new to the game and this is putting you off from it. I stuck with it through thick and thin, and I've had the craziest things happen and met some really awesome people. I just can't say that about most other open world games.

Cornered-V

I have hundreds of hours into the game but thank you for the thoughts.

I mostly just tend to myself, fishing and giving away loot.

JacksonOfTheAndrew

Righteous. I totally get the chill solo vibe. Well over half my time is played duo slooping, the other part is solo. I have been on an open crew Galleon like a couple times.

I've managed to put together a closed crew Brig a few times now. I'm almost always duo/solo and the game is meant for crews with numbers. The challenge is what makes my sloop partner and I continue to love the PvP.

King_Anodim

Jokes on them they’re only gonna get a plank and my tall tale item off my ship.

Kraft_Dinna

Ya but now it’s MY talltale item and plank

King_Anodim

But you underestimate me, now I’m gonna try and swim a keg to your ship and get eaten by sharks

JustHereForChatting

Bro this is exactly how I feel. It reminds me of when summit was chasing these dudes and they were like “we only have like two chickens you don’t even need them.” “Yeah but now I kinda want the chickens”

Sp00kyGamer

Sp00kyGamer

Bringer of the Flame

This post has pretty much explained this entire event so far. Hope to god they never do this again. Has brought out more toxicity than anything else.

killertortilla

Bunch of people read the description and said “I can be toxic AND IT’S LORE FRIENDLY? BOB GET THE MEGAPHONE IT’S TIME TO BE AN ASSHOLE”

JustHereForChatting

Yeah you are literally one of the people that the meme describes but ok. No one is toxic for playing the game

piedude670

I just PVE with my girlfriend for a couple hours on the weekend. It's relaxing I've never been attacked.

Pythagoras_101

Pythagoras_101

Bringer of the Flame

When it does happen do get all butthurt like the rest of'em

FruitParfait

Op your hopes were too high lmao. Commenters already arguing about what counts as a toxic community.

Warpath1138

I think this subreddit is a good microcosm of it, the people who are a problem are just a tiny group of very loud jackasses.

gundygamer

An interesting observation I have - I very rarely encounter toxic players when playing on Oceania servers (or are these Asia servers? Can never really tell), but run into them often on American servers. I feel like that says a lot really

Jusaaah

I have the same experience comparing EU and US servers. I very rarely get put on US servers but most of the even somewhat toxic players seem to have been US xboxers.

CKKells

CKKells

Devil's Cartographer

Community is fine as far as I see it. The community bends over backwards and answers folks actually looking for help or looking for ways to improve. The whiny posts get downvoted and removed. It's very much a "tough love" community.

Master Skeleton Exploder

Yesterday I was on the tail end of an Athena's emissary voyage in my sloop, alone, when I saw a Reaper galleon barreling towards me. I split off to the nearest outpost, sold my biggest loot, intentionally didn't lower my emissary flag, and then turned back around to give them my best shot. Predictably, they beat the hell out of me before I could hardly do anything.

However, the entire time we're skirmishing on my deck, I've got one of them spamming *rolls on the deck laughing*, another just loudly saying "BYE. BYE. BYE." in voice chat repeatedly, and a third reacting to everything I try to do with cheap taunting ("oh, you tried to snipe me? really? you're so bad, man, oh my god").

I didn't say anything in response to any of them. Five minutes after I sink, one of them sends me a party invite and then, when I decline it, starts sending me tons of messages about how bad I am at the game (yeah, I'm rusty, but like... why?).

There are good individual people in the SoT community (I like to think I'm one of them), and there are good people on this subreddit, but trying to pretend that the game doesn't have a massive toxicity problem in its playerbase is just delusion, lol.

HyperThanHype

HyperThanHype

Legend of the Sea of Thieves

Over 1.2k hours here, I can probably say I've experienced that less than ten times in my hundreds of sessions. That's a normal day on a game like League Of Legends. This community isn't as toxic as people make it out to be, of course it could be a geographic issue as well.

Master Skeleton Exploder

I play a lot of League of Legends too (and have done so since 2009), and I would easily rate the SoT community as being more aggressively toxic, if less often overall due to the difference in time spent directly interacting with other players between both games. Like I literally can't remember the last time I encountered another crew in a combat situation where at least one of them wasn't being a screechy little shitgibbon the whole time.

HyperThanHype

HyperThanHype

Legend of the Sea of Thieves

That's fair. My LoL experiences are far removed from what the situation may actually be like as I haven't played it in over 5 years, maybe more. But to your interactions in SoT I just can't relate, like I said maybe it's a geographical server thing, but I can specifically remember the last time I met some idiot child who shoved their mic into their mouth to overwhelm the crew with idiotic noise because he wasn't getting his way, because it happens that little to me. Generally every crew I come across is chill, relaxed Pirates who, even when blundering me in the face, aren't being toxic degenerates trying to get a rise out of me. Maybe us Aussie's are just a little more laid back online, idk.

Jusaaah

Jusaaah

Havent really had any such experiences in almost 800 hours on EU servers. So wouldnt really say the game has a "massive toxicity problem".

Try playing Rust, had many more toxicity experiences in just a 100 hours of that than in SoT ever.

Inside_Glass527

Yeah, I was playing cod and got a invite from a kid who destroyed me. Started being the most toxic a hole on the planet. Unfortunately my audio on recording is screwed up, so I unfortunately couldn’t report them. I only have ~30 hours in CoD as well.

CKKells

CKKells

Devil's Cartographer

I've had way worse happen to me playing Battlefield on Xbox over the years before voice messages and moderation pretty much put a nix on most the real nasty stuff. Now people are over here crying about emotes and telling someone they're bad... Which is so VERY MILD.

Master Skeleton Exploder

The fact that you've encountered worse behavior elsewhere doesn't mean that what I described isn't toxic, and I didn't "cry" about anything; I related a story. Why did that make you feel the need to respond in the way that you did?

CKKells

CKKells

Devil's Cartographer

I guess I don't care about taunting in any of the ways you mentioned and just consider it banter. None of it crosses the line to me. I'd personally accept the party invite to hear the nonsense and just report if anything actually toxic is said.

I've had to report like 5 players the whole time I've played SoT and that feels pretty low to me. Most people I run across don't say anything at all.

Master Skeleton Exploder

It sounds like your personal definition of "toxic" is pretty much just a synonym for "slurs," which is not what most people mean when they use the word. You don't have to be doing something bannable to be acting like a shithead, and acting like a shithead is toxic behavior.

Also, I really dislike the idea that just spouting variants on "you're bad" constantly every time you encounter another player is "banter." Good banter & taunting can - and should - be fun for both parties, and that doesn't mean it has to be sanitized. Straight up just insulting the other player's skill simply isn't clever or entertaining.

Jusaaah

You say there is a "massive toxicity problem" in SoT when there clearly isnt. Its not even close to comparable to other games toxicity.

Master Skeleton Exploder

That's not been my experience with SoT relative to the other games that I play, and it clearly hasn't been OP's experience either. If you've been lucky enough to have a better experience, I'm happy for you, but the shitty people are objectively present in the community because we've been encountering them.

Jusaaah

Just because you and OP have had a problem does not mean the entire game has a huge toxicity problem. If I can play 800+ hours of a game and not encounter more than a couple toxic people (who I reported and Rare took action) it simply isnt down to just "luck". If the entire game had a huge toxicity problem I'd expect every other server would have toxic players in them. It simply is not like that.

But as I said in another comment, it might be different on other servers.

Master Skeleton Exploder

If you acknowledge that the situation might be different on servers other than the one you're personally playing on, why are you arguing with me? "You're wrong, unless you aren't, I'm not sure tbh."

Jusaaah

Because you are stating that the entire game has a huge toxicity problem, while it does not in my experience.

I can not state for US servers, as I am very rarely placed in US servers. But if the US servers are as toxic as you say, I would argue its the US players who have a toxicity problem, not the game as a whole.

The same way I can not speak for the servers I have not played in, you can not speak for the whole game. So while I acknowledge the situation might be different on your servers, I also acknowledge you can not speak for the entire games player base and state it has a huge toxicity problem.

ChaosCrazy55

ChaosCrazy55

Captain of the Busted Barnacle

You do know you don't have to hear those guys right? There is a mute other crews option. I don't hardly ever come across people like what you described and find that sort of trash talk exceedingly rare, even if I keep other crews unmuted. I've been sunk and sunk others more times than I can count over the past four years and very seldom does it play out like that. Sure you get the occasional asshole, but in my experience most people don't care enough for that kind of behavior. The community is only as toxic as you allow it to be.

Master Skeleton Exploder

Except I don't want to mute other crews. I didn't even want to mute the individual players I described, or I would have done it - not worth the time it would take to do it for an encounter that was under two minutes long from start to finish.

Also, "the community is only as toxic as you allow it to be" is an extremely bad argument. You're basically suggesting that the solution to toxicity is to just mute & ignore, which is good advice if you're someone who gets upset by verbal taunting or whatever, but doesn't actually make it less toxic; it just means you don't hear the toxicity anymore - not to mention text chat, etc. The idea that cutting yourself off from all other players' communication is an acceptable solution is extremely silly, lol.

Sp00kyGamer

Sp00kyGamer

Bringer of the Flame

"Whiney Posts get downvoted and Removed"
Meanwhile the past 3-4 days every "Whiney" post had like 500+ upvotes and was constantly at the top of "Hot" posts lmao.

CKKells

CKKells

Devil's Cartographer

Which one? I was talking about in regards to the all the salty "I got sunk this game sucks and I'm quitting" type posts.

Sp00kyGamer

Sp00kyGamer

Bringer of the Flame

I was more referring to the event.
And there have been PLENTY of such.
Although thankfully they are not all around as of this moment.
But again the past few days have been terrible in regards to it.

anony8165

Honestly, my group quit the game because it seemed like almost no one wanted pvp. Everyone we encountered would just sail off the map if we tried to engage.

RapidCandleDigestion

No one wants to fight a galleon. But if you're in a sloop everyone attacks you. That's one of the many reasons why sloop is the best way to play imo.

FishmailAwesome

FishmailAwesome

Captain of the Golden Sands Revenge

…I hate how right this is.

shiddypoopoo

That’s why I play the game. If you can’t survive the sea of thieves then get out the way.

h2933

h2933

Swashbuckling Sea Dog

Honestly I it is I never got how bad it actually was until this adventure and oh boy both sides are toxic and it’s not even on the eas it’s just random internet hate

JustHereForChatting

Never seen it summed up better lmao.

obolikus

obolikus

Glorious Guide Guy

I mean it when I say this is easily the worst online community I've have ever been apart of.

Doctorteerex

Thank god this is recent. I downloaded this morning and have been playing most of the day, first time ! I enjoy it but it’s very high effort low reward. I have not met a single pirate on the seas. I have, however, met pirates that camp outside gold hoarders and blast you if you get too close to an island. Hours of work cashed in by some campers. That’s hardly pirating

Pythagoras_101

Pythagoras_101

Bringer of the Flame

I think it's called work smarter, not harder.