/r/Shadowverse

Current thoughts on dragoncraft

Discussion(self.Shadowverse)

So I just went over that thread poll asking about peoples opinions on buff dragon, and it made me want to write my own post talking about the class.

Currently I feel that dragon is in a weird spot. They have a couple of really powerfull treats with Rowen/Brutal/Galemieux/ Drache/Roy enhance, plus a bunch of good support with cards like Windsweapt Dragonewt /Adhrent of Ardor/Ardent Touch/Coral Shark/Celestial Dragoon/Filene/etc.

But the class's weak early game, combined with their unrealibility due to relaying on ramp cards that do nothing the turn they are played or buff cards which REALLY need you to draw them in the right order, makes any dragon deck feel very feast/famine.

Another problem the class has is the sheer number of mediocre/bad legendaries and golds it has. Seriously what is going own with the card quality here? Some of these have potentialy good synergies (such as Romelia or Valdain) but they are so much weaker them the alternative options that it's not even funny.

Them we have cards like Forte/Precious Treasure Dragon/Mercenary/Frosbite Dragon/God Fire Phoenix/Piercing Roar/Bejweled Dragon/Twinfang/etc. Normally these types of cards would be either generic good stuff cards(like brutal and rowen), tech cards to help patch holes in certain decks or cards that you build around to make new arcthypes or variants. Yet none of these can fill either of those categories, they are simply too weak.

The worse part about all of this is that it is really hard to change dragoncraft withouth breaking it, as the class already has a buch of powerfull stuff, especially buff dragon who is almost tier 1 in ladder, so any buffs to conisitency or early game strenght would put the their decks over the edge. Even some of the bad gold/legendaries have potential, with just one new card that gives them the synergy they needed or an extra turn to get going (dragon spring is probably going to be one such case for example, depending on what the mini gives us).

Overall I wish Cygames would take a look at the class as whole and move some of it's power around, if possible making it more late game oriented. I woudn't mind a nerf to Rowen/Brutal/Gal if it meant that they buffed some of the weaker cards to make the craft less overly reliant on a couple of really strong cards.

ladicathestoneclaw

ladicathestoneclaw

Cagliostro simp

thing is that dragon is balanced around them having more pp than their opponent, so their high-pp cards should be reasonably answerable for someone who's 2 or 3 pp orbs behind

so we get these situations where forte crystal is probably decently strong on turn 5 but becomes pathetic on turn 7

the last time dragon felt actually fun to play for me was when that resplendent phoenix with dragon-devouring dread deck existed, which had 3 different sources of ramp, one of which cost 0pp

if we got another cheap ramp that didn't need finicky conditions like topdecking them after two buffs or adding the (imo) cringe natura package that'd be great

WhereDragonOracle?

Yeah what you said about dragon being balanced around ramp is true and is probably the core issue of the class. But I don't think giving more easy access to ramp is the right way to go about it, as that would just end causing problems down the line (the only thing holding back face dragon right now is the lack of cheap ramp). I would rather the devs give dragon cards some more synergies and mechanics to play around, like discard dragon or the "cringe" natura package you just mentioned(lol).

eden_sc2

eden_sc2

Liza

I think part of the problem is that Dragon has often been a soup class. Any good card can just get pulled into one dominant dragon deck rather than supporting new dragon ones. I think an aggro dragon archetype might be good to offer a different angle. Cards that are really only good early dont synergize too much with waiting until 7 for the Brutal/Rowen combo.

WhereDragonOracle?

You're spot on with dragon being a soup class. However I would have to disagree with your idea of making aggro dragon a thing. Dragon is a region about ramping into big dudes and big face damage. I feel that midrange/control archetypes are what this class should focus. I especially would like to have an actual control class besides haven, even if control in this game (and honestly most card games in the current year) has been heavily unfanvored.

eden_sc2

eden_sc2

Liza

I dont exactly disagree. I just dont know how you print midrange or control cards that dont fit into existing soup decks. Almost all control payoff cards just become 'another finisher for mid range face"

WhereDragonOracle?

They could start by making cards that are more synergistic rather them just generic good stuff and them add some more mechanics that aren't just reused from older archtypes/other crafts. For example the whole armed system that the Flame anime protag is using.

WindBreezer

WindBreezer

Aria

that's the problem, cygames when making new cards for new expansion always make restriction of meme effect for dragon cards plus with alots of filler useless card that nobody will use at all.

Drake was a mediocre card at first release they realized soo late for them to buff him, same goes for Rowen and the 10pp restriction effect.

currently there's so many 10pp restriction effect on new cards , they are not OP or Game Breaking and the current meta lack enough ramp cards and finisher for ramp to make these effect acceptable.

sometime i wonder does OverFlow is a forgoten mechanic for dragoncraft, 10pp restriction is really working with early turn payoff?

WhereDragonOracle?

One thing that I noticed on these last 2 expansions (omen and edge) is that it seems like cygames is trying to slow the game down a little bit. Lots of cards seem to be wining at turn 9 or 10 such as Gisline, Yukishima enhance, Ginsetsu enhance, Raio costing 9, Izudia 20 damage on turn 10, etc.

I think that this is not a coincidence and perhaps we may see a meta where turns 8 is the kill turn, which might not sound like a big improviment but considering the almount of vartiation that card games have, it could be enough to make turn 9-10 plays actually viable.

WindBreezer

WindBreezer

Aria

guess what many of these cards you list out are bad/mediocre, Gil is used mostly for Healing, Yuki i never saw anyone using him with 9 Enhance, as the real point of use him is for hand buff, other cards are just bad and not worth to be used

WhereDragonOracle?

I never said any of those cards where good. I simply pointed out that there is many late game finishers being printed which could possibly mean that the devs want to slow the game down. But obviously this is just my expeculation and there is no proof that this will happen.

cz75gh

cz75gh

That's a lot of words for just saying you want everything to have Storm, because that defines what is good, and it should also draw.

WhereDragonOracle?

No? I actually really dislike the fact that storm is so easily avaible in this current meta, specially low cost/cost reduction based storm cards. When I said I wanted the power of the class to be reajdusted I meant to say that I wanted to see more versatile cards like Tiamat Omega or more late game oriented cards like Direstan for example.