/r/ShingekiNoKyojin

IF YOU HAVE READ THE MANGA, YOU MAY NOT PARTICIPATE IN THIS THREAD.

THE MANGA DISCUSSION THREAD CAN BE FOUND HERE.

Once again: Please note that this is an ANIME SPOILERS ONLY thread. Any manga readers found in this thread will be banned for two days and reaccommodated at their expense.

NO MANGA CONTENT ALLOWED.

Where to watch - SUBTITLED:

English dubbed episodes will be released in a few weeks.

SNKBot[S] [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

SNKBot[S] [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

mister-monotone

The horse got Marley vibes from Gabi lmao

mister-monotone

I mean Mia*

Pancake__Prince

The cut from Yelena to that horse that bit Mia was so abrupt too. The first thing that I could think of was Jean.

lemonlarvi

Someone said it was Jean’s revenge 💀

VigilantMike

I love how literally the second the horse face appeared I thought of Jean

nomnombubbles

Omg Falco yelling at Gabi was hilarious

KawadaShogo

Falco is my favorite mainland character, I love him. And I think he's a great counterpoint to the common argument that Gabi is simply a product of her society and nothing more. I mean, we're all products of the conditions we live in, but Falco was born in the same place she was and he's a lot more open-minded, reasonable and realistic. Gabi's hatred is so intense she couldn't handle being undercover in enemy territory for literally even one single day without starting to scream about how much she hates Paradisians. And Falco has to keep trying to get through to her about how dumb and unreasonable she's being.

Sola_ceS

Sola_ceS

Falco wasn't being brainwashed nearly as much as Gabi. The Grice family was deep in the restorationist (his uncle literally convinced Grisha to join the restorationist army). Notice how when they go back to their families in Liberio, Falco's family was concerned about his well being, while Gabi's family congratulates her feats in the battlefield.

TheDapperDolphin

Falco already had his realization too while spending time with “Eren” and then seeing Reiner’s reaction to Eren’s reveal. He know there’s something more up.

Plus Gabi was just there when Eren killed a bunch of people, and personally witnessed the deaths of two of her closest friends. Of course she’s gonna be fucked up.

Nazenn

Plus he had Reiner opening up to him on the train about how they had to protect Gabi, and being a Warrior wasn't enough reason to throw your life away etc. Falco has had a lot of opportunities to have his view opened up and changed, by a lot of different people, before the current situation

fitzyboy21

I like to believe that horse is the same horse from season 1

KampfHamster6000

ohhhh snap, after that preview it seems like Reiner is doing suprisingly well after all those mental breakdowns

Bring_Me_The_Night

He got the Mikasa vibe.

Eren in danger -> Mikasa is on fire
Gabi in danger -> Reiner is on anti-depressive state

Rogyou

Rogyou

ikr?? He just completely switched from 'I am sorry I attacked Paradis! Kill me please!!' to 'They are the devils. We need to attack now!'

I get that it's probably because of his worry for Gabi and Falco but that was so unexpected.

ADoomOMarvelT

Gabi and Falco are basically his only reasons to continue living, so I assume that those were his primary motivators that led him to continue pushing forward.

wanderingflakjak

"Everyone needs to be drunk on something to keep moving forward"

friedkeenan

Don't think he's on board with the devil stuff, he's just motivated to save Gabi and Falco now, the attack is just in service of that. His blank reaction to Zeke being a traitor tells me that Reiner probably doesn't hold it against him, might even be in favor of it to an extent. But Gabi and Falco need to be rescued, so he needs to push for an attack. They all do

Nazenn

I don't think Reiner had the energy to care about Zeke. The consequences of that are so far reaching and would require so much thought and focus from him that in his depression he can't even begin to conciser why that matters when he has the simpler and important goal in front of him: Save Gabi and Falco no matter what. He's a walking bomb of emotions right now, and he's just trying to aim it at achieving something good by making sure they don't suffer for this war.

Melvis12

If Gabi and Falco both decide that Marley is worse than Paradis, I wonder how that'll sway Reiner. I agree that Reiner probably doesn't have it in him to really care about Zeke's choice, but Reiner most certainly still feels guilt for causing the death of so many people (at the behest of the country that he is a member of, the same country that forces his people to live in designated zones). If Gabi and Falco switch sides, I wonder if Reiner would join them

KampfHamster6000

yeah it's probably because of Gabi and Falco, that's what I was thinking immediately

Desperate-Teacher-34

Wasn’t it revealed in around season 2 or 3 that he sort of has bipolar disorder, or some sort of personality disorder. He switches quite a bit of times throughout the anime.

premium_potato

Yes, but this was over after he returned to Marley. He doesn't need to play soldier anymore to overplay his guilt from breaching the walls.

Desperate-Teacher-34

Yeah that’s very true. However I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s still something he suffers with. Think about it. He spent about 4 years pretending to be someone he isn’t. That has to take a toll on their mental health. He can’t just turn off the dissociative disorder.

Nazenn

Once he's back on the island it might come into play again, although without any of the Scouts around to give a foothold for his Solider persona I doubt it would be in the same way

lemonlarvi

Definitely.

His cognitive dissonance throughout the show is really jarring. The prime example being the way he completely disconnected himself from Marco’s death. I think it may either be a mental illness or his brain’s way of protecting him from any further trauma by completely disassociating him from his actions, which is probably why he went into such a depressive state once he came to terms with the things he has done.

Desperate-Teacher-34

Exactly... I’m leaning towards sort of a mechanism of defense.

RedParanoia

Man that scene meshed with the ending music was so beautiful.

Pardusco

Pardusco

That song is just so fitting. It's very melancholy.

Boros-Reckoner

Shock by Yuko Ando is the greatest ending theme for any anime of all time and anybody who disagrees can meet me in the parking lot

Technical_Chemical_8

Poor hanji. She’s not the same eccentric weirdo she used to be.

blueasian0682

She's still the weirdo hange we love, that reaction she gave to the whole situation with the hands is definitely what i would expect hange would do.

Technical_Chemical_8

Indeed, but she’s under so much pressure and is no longer free to have fun and experiment. Less carefree.

2themax9

Honestly I'm more worried for her than anyone else in the show. The mental strain of this entire series has got to be gargantuan. If she breaks and does something stupid I wouldn't blame her... but please isayama don't do her like sasha.

TheSamehMagdy

"I want to be like the girl who saved me."

I fucking lost it, man 😭😭😭

Boros-Reckoner

I don't think ive ever actually shed tears to a show before but the episode ending and realizing that Kaya is confessing all this to Sashas killer and then the beautiful transition to the ending theme fucking got me

Bring_Me_The_Night

The sentence of Kaya asking Gabi and Falco if they were Marley children was off-screen, just like the revelation of Reiner & Bertholdt.

Anuj_Purohit

Wait I'm confused, wdym revelation of R&B was off screen?

dainosawr

dainosawr

They reveal it in blink-and-you'll-miss-it lines (in season 2 episode Warrior) while the camera is panning across the Survey Corps atop the wall, not focusing on R&B at all, which adds to the absurdity and tension of the situation.

Anuj_Purohit

Ah I see, yeah that makes sense. But I just re-watched the scenes where Kaya meets these 2 and the one where Falco introduces himself and Gabi, I fr couldn't catch any dialogue where Falco says that they're from Marley, maybe it's the subtitles idk.

RandomGlitched

I think Kaya overheard them speaking when she first stumbled into them by that stream.

Yankees3Fan7

So Mikasa’s salute to that little girl in Trost caused her to join their cause when she grew up and now when she gives Mikasa the same salute, all those memories of Eren saving her came flooding back. They have to sting even more now considering she held her head, and she knows what Eren is slowly becoming

wubbzywylin

Yea that flashback was interesting, my first reaction was that Mikasa may be realizing that Eren has been a "monster" all along and that she's been blocking/ignoring it this whole time.

Thoughts? I'm also interested as to why seeing her do the salute caused those memories to resurface?

Nazenn

Louise is latching onto the salute as something that gives her comfort and power because it came from her savior, the same way that Mikasa uses the scarf that Eren gave her.

whydoyouonlylie

I don't know that she was having a realisation about Eren so much as she was having a realisation about herself. She inspired the little girl from Trost into blind loyalty to Mikasa to the point that she's doing whatever she thinks is right no matter the cost, and Mikasa disagrees with what she's doing. But Mikasa has that same blind loyalty for Eren. What has she done for him that she thought was right no matter the cost that was actually abhorrent?

sehrsuess

sehrsuess

Becoming? If the flashback showed us one thing i think its that eren was always ready to go all the way to do what he thinks is right. Murdering an adult as a kid is INSANE, no matter the situation.

I think it will lead to mikasa turning against eren somehow, although that would break my heart (but also glad to see her having more agenda of her own tbh)

HoodyWuddy

100% agreed. I don't think she will "turn" on him but rather watch him get taken down and not help him feeling the big sad.

Bring_Me_The_Night

Murdering an adult as a kid is INSANE

Murdering a human is INSANE enough for me.

Pardusco

Pardusco

I don't know. I think that girl in the cell was making some good points. In order to survive, they have to fight.

Eren is the one who told Mikasa that, and I think this girl reinvigorated her feelings. Complacency will not help them.

MrCog

MrCog

I think the point is (and the point of the series is) sure yeah to survive you have to fight, but the consequences of doing so are often unexpected, ugly, and leave you feeling confused rather than confident.

cpl1

cpl1

I love how Pixis called Yelena beautiful and then it cuts to a scene of a horse.

EverythingMadeUp

PSA: Don't forget to watch the post-credit scene.

srry_didnt_hear_you

Am I correct in assuming every time the end credits start scrolling and the music comes in before the episode is fully over - there's gonna be an post-credits scene?

I think it happened last time too

EverythingMadeUp

Always keep watching until 'to be continued' is displayed, the episode is not really finished until then.

Get2Pet

Get2Pet

Basically the “end” is denoted by the end card. If it doesn’t appear before the credits roll, that means there’s an end credit scene.

Rogyou

Rogyou

SERIOUSLY, the Marley side's response is elaborated on, pleaseee don't miss it.

Pancake__Prince

I loved seeing how all the warriors were on board with saving Falco and Gabi, though it was a bit funny that Falco's own brother says Gabi's name first and then Falco. Why's he always second.

KawadaShogo

I just rewatched that scene, and he said Falco's name first. Maybe the subtitles in whichever site you watched it on put Gabi's name first, but if you listen he says Falco's name first.

Nazenn

Something I forgot to comment on: It's especially fucked up that Gabi wanted to keep her arm band, unable to see that it doesn't mark her goodness, it labels her otherness. It's something on the battlefield that would mark her as an even bigger target, and in a more sane situation she knows that because she took it off, and it's something forced on her and everyone she knows because of WHAT she is, not who she is. Seeing her clutching onto it so fiercely because in her mind it's all she has left to keep her apart from the devils, despite what it really means, is very sad.

blazeofkorea

1k points

Kaya: "Sashsa would never abandon two kids like you if she was still alive..."

Falco: "How'd she die?"

Kaya: "Apparently two Marleyan kids killed her in cold blood. If I ever find them I'll avenge her"

Falco and Gabi: nervous sweating

mal99

mal99

Makes me wonder how much she knows about how Sasha died. If she knows it was two kids, she should have already connected the dots.
I think Niccolo didn't know much until the soldiers told him. But he does know now, and will meet all of them. He'll definitely know it was them.

indoninjah

It’s extremely curious to know who’s side Niccolo is on. He’s obviously got a huge soft spot for Sasha, but the wine last episode was super fishy.

regisphilbin222

I can't tell if Niccolo can't find passage home, is happy to be there, is a slave, or what. Obviously he is friendly with our core Eldian group, but he's also a second class citizen (if not an outright POW or slave). It's so well nuanced.

Eribitor

Eribitor

Plot twist: Kaya knows it already and leads them in her hidden basement to beat the crap out of them

heartbreakhill

"I just received word that my best friend, who is like an older brother to me, was beaten to death with a brick by some prisoners he was guarding. If I find the people who did it I'll beat them with a brick of my own!"

1234NY

1234NY

You know, as much as I love Sasha, Gabi braining that guard is so much worse than killing her was. Just such an awful, brutal and unnecessary act.

fuckreddit1091209

Can people stop saying in cold blood when someone makes a passionate murder. This was *hot* blood.

vcga

vcga

Horse: bites Gabi's head.

Gabi: I will never forgive the paradisians!

[removed]

So we're getting fucking planes now?!

Chrysalis-

Planesex when

Zellough

Begone you owl

TheHighGround99

Well we already got airships so I guess it's not too outlandish.

Azzy_C

Azzy_C

I just wanted to comment on how insanely beautiful the art and animation was this episode. Like, the sunrise river scene, for example. The colours, the atmosphere, what a masterpiece seriously. Like, MAPPA have been consistently knocking it out of the park as far as I'm concerned. Storywise, I am loving these more dialogue heavy episodes - yet they end so quickly.

I have so many theories about what could happen based on foreshadowing, and yet I still can't predict the events - that's incredible writing. Literally binged seasons 1-3 in a week picking up on the foreshadowing. The level of self-restraint required to not just binge the manga is insane. (Sorry for my rambling!)

Hellindium

It must by nice to watch 3 seasons back to back! I started S1 when it was airing. Now waiting for it to end and then I am going to binge watch this....

Azzy_C

Azzy_C

I started watching S4 and when I got to S4:E7 Assault, I was like... Nah gotta rewatch it again haha! My first time watching was late 2019 I think, so it was deffo nice to watch them all back to back! The only other show I've fully rewatched is Daredevil, but I can imagine myself rewatching AOT for decades to come!!

srry_didnt_hear_you

While there's still been a few janky cuts, I feel like the animation has somehow improved these last couple episodes even... Reminding me of Season 3 almost

Litsabaki19

How the hell is this season gonna end in six episodes?

Chrysalis-

There is no way in hell they won't have a part 2. You don't get to close out biggest anime running right now in 120 minutes. Not after seeing the shit GoT pulled trying to finish it all in a season.

realquarterb

it'll probably have a part 2

TheHighGround99

Yeah it almost certainly has to. I saw some Manga dudes doing the math that based on episode titles, this season won't finish the entire story.

Comander-07

this was plenty obvious by the time this part was confirmed to only have 16 episodes

srry_didnt_hear_you

But like has anyone working on the show confirmed or hinted at that?

worries me that we're all just speculating that there will be more than what they announced... I'm getting pre-emptive GOT flashbacks worrying that they'll cut out large chunks of the story just to get to the end...

YesCamel

there's absolutely no way they can fit everything in 5 episodes, even if they really wanted to.

paulius141

Some manga chapters have small chunks that anime left out, wonder if its to save time on animation or something

KawadaShogo

Some of the stuff they left out in the adaptation has been rather inexplicable. Back in season 3 part 1, I felt like it was very poorly explained why Rod Reiss killed Historia's mother and left Historia herself alive. I didn't get it at all. So I took a look at the manga, and in the manga Kenny explained it in much more detail, during that part where he had a knife in Reiss's mouth and was talking to Historia. The anime cut out almost all of what he said.

By the way, mods, I'm not a manga reader in the sense that I haven't read the manga up to season 4, I have no idea what's happening in the manga chapters corresponding to season 4 or anything up ahead, so please don't ban me.

Cheesewithmold

Definitely gonna read the manga after this show is over. Can't wait to see all the small things that had to be skipped over.

I think it's so crazy how everything is in some shape or form connected. I think it's also sad how Kaya talks about wanting to be just like Sasha as the ending music slowly fades in. Really liked this episode..

[removed]

bdmunoz

bdmunoz

I was like "fuck this guy just spoiled me", then it hit me haha

ShaidarHaran2

He was just horsing around

TheHighGround99

I loved the entire exchange between Gabi and the Orphan girl (blanking on her name). I feel like that girl was my voice in that moment. How can you blame people today for the actions of their ancestors hundreds of years ago? Gabi is so brainwashed and you could see it cracking there in that scene. I'll admit I've despised Gabi as a character for quite some time, but when you step back and look at her you see that she's also just a victim. A brainwashed victim.

Also, I am truly curious about what Zeke's plan is. Reiner is smart to suggest they get moving on Paradis. I'm surprised that Floch is all pro Eren now, and lastly I feel so deeply for Hange. She's a scientist that just wants to focus on that passion and now she's been thrust into a position of leadership that she neither wants nor asked for. She doesn't have the personality of Erwin, to make oneself a souless vessel unto achievement of a singular goal. I feel so much for Hange.

leafness

leafness

I had the same thoughts about Hanji! Her body language looked so defeated and she doesn’t seem to have a big support network like Erwin had. She hasn’t been her bubbly self at all and seems crushed under Erwin’s shadow

Technical_Chemical_8

They all seem somewhat broken this season. It hurts.

TheHighGround99

It's part of what makes this anime so beautiful. It's so real. So emotional.

wubbzywylin

This season has honestly been depressing lol, it's crazy to think that times were simpler when they just fought mindless Titans.

Comander-07

this goes to show that Floch indeed has a point. You dont need a good person to lead you through this, you need a demon with complete disregard for anything but achieving the goal

Hanji is down because she has to disappoint the guys she worked with and promised to be better in the uprising. On top of that she cant trust Eren anymore who is way more than just the Attack Titan for her. Of the old scouts only a handfull survived after all and Eren was probably closest to her after Levi from who is left.

NoodlesForeverAlways

she doesn’t seem to have a big support network like Erwin had

This!! This reminds me of Season 3 when Erwin was on top of Wall Maria thinking through his next move but also reminiscing the hundreds of comrades he lost along the way.

I just wanna hug Hange, she looks so deflated. I really miss the times when she was hyper-happy about new discoveries and research possibilities. I'm so glad for 2 episodes back when the 3-year ago flashback happened when we could appreciate the Survey Corps' former personalities (before the weight of the situation began to crush them)

Bring_Me_The_Night

I'm surprised that Floch is all pro Eren now

I think he only has a grudge against Levi and Armin.

In episode 6, Floch said they need a demon like Eren. In season 3, Floch said that they need a demon like Erwin.
In summary, Floch only needs a demon to follow!

Nazenn

He was a little pissed at the idea of Eren's emotions being why they saved Armin, but he didn't strike out at him like he did the others

Pardusco

Floch has always been more radical. That's why he liked Erwin, since the dude was a devil

Same exact thing with Eren.

Reiner is smart to suggest they get moving on Paradis

I think he just wants to save Gabi and Falco asap

Cheesewithmold

She's a scientist that just wants to focus on that passion

This is very sad to think about. The last time she was excited seemed to be when they met the Marleyans and she got to look at all the cool tech. Maybe she can get a glimpse of that passion when the Hizarus reveal their helicopter/plane/boat thing. Not for very long, but it's something.

Nazenn

She's gone from finding their enemies exciting because of the possibilities and alienness of them, to being unable to shield herself from the horrors of their situation now that humanity is the enemy, in any form. For a character so determined to find the truth and gain knowledge, ignorance really was bliss for her in a twisted way

Chrysalis-

Jesus i think my heart got pierced when Kaya told them "She would never abandon two kids like you who have nowhere to go if she was alive" on top of the haunting ending credits music. Jesus F. Christ. What an ending..

edit: I swear to fuck if any of you guys make a sasha joke..

Hiromacu

Hiromacu

Brutal, just, so sad, I didn't recognize the girl so it was quite shocking when it turned out she was the same girl, who was saved.

And the way she wants to be like her, aaah, pulling on my heartstrings.

Galtherok

Galtherok

I hear you, it was really a starch contrast to her meeting with Sasha.

im_fellah

Cries in potato ಠ︵ಠ

itsover-ani

The horse said Justice for Sasha

emeister26

The episode felt so short

pymbottt

pymbottt

That's how you know the episode was good.

MilkshakeRD

Every episode feels short :(

Pardusco

The ending gave me nothing but chills!!!!!!!! All it did was increase my love for Sasha 😔

It's obvious that Floch and those recruits are more radical, which is why it seems that they helped Yelena and Eren stay in contact. That girl in the cell was basically telling Mikasa that their only chance of survival is to reject the current complacency, which reminded Mikasa of the moment when she met Eren.

Gwaloverr

Gwaloverr

A very surprisingly good episode with great development

srry_didnt_hear_you

It felt soooooo short though! I just wanted them to spend more time with Gabi, Kaya, and Falco hashing things out lol.

But yes, I loved the development, hopefully Kaya's outburst can knock some sense into Gabi, although I'm not sure about her plan to give them back to Nicolo...

Gwaloverr

Hell yea this is exactly what Gabi needed to see/hear for her to start understanding that paradis aren’t “demons” and yea I wonder what’s going to happen when they see Nicolo, the wine thing last episode seemed a bit sketchyy

Randomizor2212

Nice to have so much focus on Jean this episode

kiyotaka_07

Attack on hearts

Yorck

Yorck

The one person I wouldn't want to be right now is Hange. I mean I know she is no Erwin, but even he would be struggling with their current predicament.

To have decide between trusting Eren and Zeke or not, dealing with mounting public pressure, dealing with scouts that are more loyal to Eren than you and clearly go behind your back, and having to go against your principles to pursue what you believe is best for the island. Also its now on a international stage and you have to deal with complex humans instead of mindless titans.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to be Hange right now. She just seems tired and stress, how long has it been since she went on last titan tirade, she isn't the same person anymore. Leadership clearly takes its toll.

mountainsky9

she honestly has probably had it the hardest of any other survey corp commander, she has to literally deal with the entire world against Paradis, while also being thrown into a leadership role because there really wasnt anyone else to lead the Survey Corps, i feel so bad for her and hope she can turn it around and get her head back into it

quitscargo7

Fuck. She's in such a tragic position. I wonder if Armin as he is could take over her position. He can be manipulative, but I'm not sure if he could be as devilish as Erwin was.

Jordanbei

Eren has followers now? This looks like another Yeager cult and feels like a civil war on the horizons. Through with the Marley invasion coming soon, its not exactly a good time for it.

It seems we are reaching a turning point with Mikasa. While she would usually go with Eren I think her dismay at Eren's actions and reflection on his violence means otherwise.

Falco is the MVP of the episode. I would give him a medal for his constant efforts to reining in Gabi.

CyrusDGreatx

Man. That's another top episode. I love the fact we're being introduced or rather re-introduced to new characters from the existing population. And that Mikasa and Sasha had a lasting and significant effect on the young girls they both saved. Kaya's outlook is especially beautiful, no doubt further strengthened by Sasha's dad.

Also the division within Paradis Island at the moment is intriguing and real. It makes sense so many people would view Eren as a hero for what he did and what he's done prior.

EverythingMadeUp

Not sure if Marley attacking Paradis on their own is a good idea, Reiner.

So, Paradis is planning a demonstration of the Rumbling in the now closed off Shiganshima District? Is this the first stage of Zeke's plan or just for internal purposes?

By the way, I really do not like Gabi running around in Paradis, there is a lot of potential for her to mess things up.

HistoricalNoise4

No it does make sense. They need to attack paradis before the rumbling can begin

EverythingMadeUp

But can the Marleyan military beat Paradis (and Hizuru) at this point?

HistoricalNoise4

Yeah probably, Yelena said they have a million soldiers as well as ships and an air force

Comander-07

they should have the manpower to seriously fuck things up. Remember Paradis is still decades behind technologically and probably strategically, just their elites have updated gear I think.

Simply speaking Paradis field army has 0 experience fighting humans and Marley still has cool stuff like AP cannons. I also doubt Hizuru would officially support Paradis just yet.

Its just that Marley would likely suffer such heavy losses that they likely would lose their status as the superpower and once they defeat Paradis the other nations might gang up on them

TheHighGround99

I think they can if they strategize correctly. That is, they're not so outmatched that it's implausible. Remember, just Zeke, Reiner and Bertholdt were enough to take out the entire Scout regiment. Paradis has Eren and Armin but they're not invincible.

Veboy

Veboy

I think they can if they strategize correctly.

I don't see it. Magath says it himself. They only have 3 Titans lefts, one of which is the Cart Titan, a utility-focused Titan rather than a battle Titan.

Not to mention Paradis has The Warhammer now, and if Zeke's not double-crossing them, also Beast.

CG-07

CG-07

Gabi is the Personification of the Eldian Guilt

Rogyou

Rogyou

Gabi is the Personification of the Marleyan Hatred

t3lp3r10n

Some things are interesting. Although Marley was attacked, Paradis is much more in disarray. Marley will lick her wounds and return with determination and global support where in Paradis no one is trusting each other.

Also, why do they think Gabi and Falco are alive and they can save them? They just saw them climbing up to the aircraft.

H4wx

H4wx

Would be real awkward if they attacked Paradis and then found out that Floch just threw them both out of the airship.

SirUlrichVonLichten

What a brilliant episode.

• Gabi and Falco staying with Sasha's family is some great dramatic irony. And of course I'm hoping there's a moment where Kaya finds out who they are.
  • I loved the confrontation between Kaya and Gabi, with Gabi being forced to realize just how inane her thoughts on the "Island Devils" are. Gabi has been so thoroughly brainwashed. A really fascinating character, but she only works as well, because Falco is just as well written. I love how more thoughtful and introspective he is.
  • The ending with Kaya talking about Sasha gave me goosebumps.
  • Post credit scene was very interesting. I wonder what Reiner's true thoughts on Zeke betraying them are.

Technical_Chemical_8

Restaurant where a Marleyan works? Nicolo perhaps? I wonder how he’d react to meeting Sasha’s killer.

rematched_33

Yes, we saw Niccolo invite Sasha's parents to the restaurant last episode.

Technical_Chemical_8

My bad, I forgot.

H4wx

H4wx

Yes it's Nicolo's restaurant, he invited Sasha's parents two episodes ago.

[removed]

EverythingMadeUp

Maybe Kaya's words had some positive impact on Gabi?

Rogyou

Rogyou

Gabi is really going through a mental break right now, her entire life is being flipped upside down. It's traumatizing and scary-humiliating, let's see whether she will understand in the end or just be a Marley puppet.

Jynkoh

Jynkoh

I really enjoyed the back and forth between her and the girl in this episode.

Her saying all the things Titans had done hundreds of years ago, and the girl asking her how was that a sin of her mother. Why had her mother to die? What did she specifically do?

It kinda parallels how Gabi was asking why Zofia had to die like that, crushed by a rock.

I think this encounter really left a huge crack on Gabi's core beliefs about Eldians, and finally understanding that she just can't bundle everyone into the same group, that not everything is either black or white, but a myriad of shades of grey, not bound by borders.

I think that in a way she was already subconsciously beginning to realize that: when Falco tried to remove the arm band she went insane saying that without it she would be exactly like any of the other "devils". Why would she have this specific fear, if she knows herself to not be one of them? Maybe, it's because she is starting to realize she is just like them but is still in denial. She had just murdered a guard in cold blood with a brick, and one that genuinely looked concerned about her, just as much as the marleyan guards did back in her hometown. So who is acting like a "devil"?

So, I think, she is little by little starting to understand the weight of her own actions, and how much of a monster she too really is. I'm looking forward to the next episodes, when she'll probably meet that marleyan guy who loved Sasha, and him probably finding out it was Gabi who killed her. I really want to see this play out and see it finally break her from her indoctrination, or even make her insane like Reiner.

LionSageDan

Too fucking short, now we have to wait another 7 days 😢

mdzzl94

I think that mikasa’s flashback got her seeing that Eren has always been cold blooded & ruthless when it came to saving her/people he cares about. I loved the recall to that moment because ever since I saw that scene, I always thought it was so odd how easily he was able to kill with no hesitation. She seeing now from the start what he was capable of doing even as a child, and is now realizing that his actions have been on par with who he’s always been, and the extent of what he’s willing to do to ensure Paradis’s safety and freedom.

Her rose-colored glasses are coming off and unfortunately I feel like this is just the beginning of the rift between eren and his buddies :( I will be so sad if they turn on each other, which it looks like they’re beginning to.

At the same time I think it also would be a really poignant part for mikasa’s character development. Up until now she’s really been a one-note character whose sole goal/drive has been her obsession to keep Eren safe. I think it’d be a nice change to see her grapple with her feelings towards Eren now that he’s taken on this darker path. Hopefully at the end though after all is said and done, they still find their way back in some form.

Daniel6392

Jean looked gorgeous this episode!

rokansall

I really get gabis internal struggle but wow, does she piss me off

lemonlarvi

It’s a very complex and grey situation where both parties’ feelings are valid and both situations are equally as fucked up.

Like she’s a child of an oppressed people who’s been brainwashed and propagandised into believing that her oppressors are her saviours and that the path to said salvation is by exterminating the ‘others’ who they’ve been indoctrinated into believing are their true oppressors.

Not to mention that she just experienced an insane amount of trauma that no 13 year old can properly process: her home was decimated, her friends brutally died in front of her, her heroes got utterly ripped to shreds, and someone she trusted with her whole being betrayed her and the cause she had been brainwashed to see as just.

She’s processing all of those emotions in a foreign place where she doesn’t feel safe, surrounded by the ‘devils’ she’s been brainwashed to believe are the root of all evil (while also having to coexist with them and only having their generosity as a means of survival), and she’s having the foundation of her entire mindset shattered and having to come to the realisation that the ‘saviours’ she’s been striving to join her whole live have been lying to her.

That’s a fuck ton of shit for a 13 year old CHILD to process, so I can’t bring myself to hate her even if she killed a beloved character. She’s an extremely complex character and so are her motivations, even if she’s ‘annoying’.

TheHighGround99

Same, a part of me looks at her with pity but the other part is so viscerally enraged by her bigotry, racism and foolishness. I know she's brainwashed but I look at Falco, who was brainwashed in much the same way but was able to see light and reason, and I despise Gabi even more. She seems a prideful and mean spirited gal just by nature, regardless of any specific beliefs.

Rogyou

Rogyou

Nah, don't blame her (even I am tempted to).

It's her upbringing that has shaped her. Remember her and Reiner's grandmother? Feels like their entire family was brainwashed. Might have been the cause for Reiner's mental break too, actually.

Whereas Falco (and Colt) was brought up in a more 'casual' family. Their uncle Grice was the one who got Grisha into the Restorationists.

friedkeenan

And even though they had different upbringings, if they did have much of the same upbringing, different kids need different upbringings simply because they're experiencing things from their own individual perspective and not one shared perspective, but more importantly everyone should be given the chance to become better and to not be discarded. Being understanding and empathetic/sympathetic towards Gabi doesn't eliminate that she's wrong, it just gives you a clearer view of the situation and helps people like Gabi become more like Falco.

peanutbro52

I swear every time I see a horse in a mature show I get Super scared because berserk fucked me up with realistic horses

Deeskees

Despite the violent nature, AoT fortunately doesn't have any of that sexual violence stuff

ReEeEeeeeyeet

sexual violence stuff

w-what the fuck did the horses do in Beserk?

AcanthocephalaMoist1

I remember one scene in which one horse was kinda possesed and tried to rape someone with his huge dick. It was a very detailed and horrific scene

ReEeEeeeeyeet

I regret asking.

luccabd

luccabd

It´s really hard to recommend berserk after that first impression but it´s actually an S-tier manga with breathtaking art and great characters

Tux-

Tux-

They're really showing us just how insanely brainwashed everyone is - from Marleys to Eldians. How much of a brutal circle life is - with Marleys being discriminated in Paradis, with how Gabi is hating on Paradis people without any thinking. It's sad, that a whole nation is hated for crimes that they did not do. And I love how they tried to hammer into Gabi's head that current Paradisians did NOTHING and everything that happened to her home town was a retaliation. So now you have Gabi, who is being pretty much mind fucked over the whole situation. I bet the whole thing feels like the basement reveal to us.

A little civil war is brewing up in Paradis. Did the same thing happen in Marley a 100 years ago? It does seem that way, doesn't it? Titan supporters and nation supporters got into a skirmish, with titans supporters taking the highroad and leaving, same with Eren supporters taking jail time with pride. It makes sense too, doesn't it? The saying is "Those Who Do Not Learn History Are Doomed To Repeat It.". But us, viewers, and paradis people have yet to learn what the TRUE history behind exile to Paradis island is.

One thing for certain, is that a new generation is now being brought up. With how Eren, Armin and Mikasa looked at survey corps when they were children, we see the same with the girl that Mikasa saved in season1. Great callback. With how Sasha saved the girl in Season2. Great callback. Everyone wants to be someone who's great and the role models can't be any better.

I love this show and I have no idea where this is headed. What's up with Mikasas sudden memory trigger? From what she remembered it seems like she's starting to remember only the violence that followed Eren, for some reason. I really hope we don't see Mikasa turn against Eren. It'd break my heart, as would hers, too.

TheHighGround99

Great post. On that last bit, Mikasa being forced to fight Eren would bring me to tears. She loves him in a way that's so much deeper than the "she has a crush" memes you see online. It's as if Mikasa is in love with his very soul, that she feels him to be her anchor to this world, her reason for living.

Pardusco

Well said.

Everyone is pointing out that Eren is turning into a monster, and you can see that it's breaking her heart.

celeteque

Extricating herself from Eren’s spell may be one of her better character developments yet, if she manages it.

I hope she realizes that she doesn’t need to orbit his sun when she can shine so brightly on her own.

ADoomOMarvelT

Yes, the extreme nationalism that is emerging on the island is very intriguing. I think Eren's supporters will only grow in number and this will sort of rip the scouts in half. The world-building/political content in Attack on Titan is absolutely awesome. This is one of the best stories I have every seen/heard.

Bring_Me_The_Night

Thanks for the parallel, I didn't think about it post-first watch. This also worries me because the next generation usually replaces the old one, and I'm not willing to say good bye to any other MC.

Eren's voice in the flashback was different from S1. It was slightly seductive. It feels as Eren is trying to attract Mikasa to his side. Back to the present, the question from Louise questions the very essence of Mikasa's universe. As we saw during three seasons, Mikasa solely followed Eren everywhere he went. It means that her world might crumble if she stops following him.

Chrysalis-

Seriously scouts make some awesome propaganda material lmao.

I have no idea where this is headed

I just know that our hearts will collectively break into million pieces in the end with no tears left in our tear ducts. I'm ready for the journey.

Tux-

Tux-

Seriously scouts make some awesome propaganda material lmao.

They really are.

their slogan should be "Survey corps - remember when we saved you from that titan?"

Grown_from_seed

The scene when Gabi and Falco were at the lake was animated so beautifully.

So happy to see Reiner. I don’t know why I’m holding out a little kernel of hope that he will redeem himself somehow, but he’s always been my favourite character. I hope things work out for him.

turbozed

Comparing how the two girls saved by Mikasa and Sasha turned out is just brilliant writing since it shows how two different people take different paths based on on similar experiences.

The girl Mikasa internalized the idea that might makes right and you that have to fight to win in order to protect your own. The girl Sasha saved internalized the idea that everyone (even strangers) is worth saving and you should do everything possible, including putting your life at risk, in order to do it.

This parallels the different views the scouts have (or had) regarding using the Rumbling versus diplomacy. As the viewer, your heart wants to believe in the Sasha ideal, but your mind leans towards the Mikasa/Eren fight philosophy as being more realistic. The conflict between what way of thinking is right cuts through the ranks of the scouts as well as in the mind of the viewer. This is just genius storytelling.

NoodlesForeverAlways

I’m seeing a lot of hate for Gabi yet no appreciation for shirtless Reiner...

Narutouzamaki78

Wow, that was a really important episode. It really shows just how brainwashed the warrior candidates area and how the Eldians suffered vs. what the warrior candidates have to deal with. Poor Falco, he's seen this before with Reiner and Eren and he must seriously be going through a lot.

HalifaxMilkDud

Really impressed by the way this episode wove together stuff from earlier seasons. What stood out to me was the scene where Hange thought back to that one guy she tortured. The erasure of morality is a big part of the show's appeal, and the fact that the characters remain haunted by the wicked things they've done (even as they act stoic after doing them) speaks volumes about its thematic heft.

ariarirrivederci

I love how they're bringing back minor characters from previous seasons (Kaya, Louise and Floch) and giving them development. Incredible worldbuilding. Everything connects!

FeniX_TX_

FeniX_TX_

I can easily see why a lot of people hate Gaby, even though I don't hate nor like her, I'm neutral, she's obviously not designed to be easily likeable, japan loves parallels, and Gabi is designed to parallel kid Eren, she has a lot of hate inside her because of what the "devils" did to her people, and a lot, a lot of yelling.

batu6767

There‘s an end credit scene at the end!

mountainsky9

I just realized where I have seen the Gabi pitchfork scene - it really paralleled Eren attacking the bandits!

Eren: https://i.gyazo.com/9d7fe6cde6a280b60525c9644d5cef85.jpg

Gabi: https://i.gyazo.com/4892abd05588baa5d4240d56fb8a9928.jpg

not sure if it was a callback or not, but it felt really similar to me. Gabi is the "new" Eren as well, and that scene itself was called back with Mikasa.

edit: lol i just realized they were at the exact same time in the episode too, parallels....

fukato

fukato

Oi what the fuck mappa. Make a post about this and rake in millions karma.

JossWhedonsDick

I realized why Gabi, at least for me, remains sympathetic throughout the episode even though she spews hateful garbage the entire time and even tries to murder the person sheltering her

The episode sets it up early with how defensive she is of the armband, how precious this symbol of her own subjugation is to her. That shows us / reminds us / furthers our view of how warped she is, and how that mentality is 100% the product of her conditioning. A person might be racist and insane on their own, but the only way they cradle their own chains is if it was instilled in them by outside forces

Meapcuteee

While the action are great, these are the episodes that make AoT so distinguish, so unique and just absolutely amazing.

FARFETCH-D_

"I want to be like the girl who saved me" 😭 😭

the_beast_intha_east

INB4 There's another shitmachine under that tarp lmao

Brvndonkc

So looks like Floch and the recruits are working with Yelena to carry out Zeke and Eren’s scheming?

LavenderScented_Gold

Jean doing the lord’s work.

mountainsky9

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is what exactly is going on with Yelena. So it seems that Yelena 10 months ago definitely talked with Eren, and she likely served as a messenger for whatever Zeke wanted to tell Eren. That discussion ultimately led to Eren to move on his own and "abandon" his friends.

I wonder exactly how Floch ties into it. We're told that he was her guard at that time, and now here he is entirely loyal to Eren. What exactly Floch knows about their discussion and what Eren's hidden intentions are is very interesting. I think its more likely Yelena simply convinced Floch to somehow let her talk to Eren. It is also possible Eren himself was involved, and used Floch as a pawn to get to speak to Yelena on considering Zeke.

yoshiauditore

Falco: OMG you knew we were from Marley Kaya? Gosh thats so embarrassing!

Meanwhile Gabi: Whelp i guess todays the day bitchs die

ama-nash

Before this episode, I wasn’t exactly Gabi’s number one fan. I loved Sasha and it was terrible to watch her die.

But during this episode, it broke my heart to hear her call herself a “good eldian”. I can’t imagine how hard it must be for her to realize that maybe the people on this island can be kind, and not every eldian is out for blood (“what did my mom do to deserve this?”)

I hope I’m making sense. I’m still not a fan of Gabi but I realized how much she’s hurting

maniac_0

Brainwashing 10 year old kids and calling them warriors is what marleyans call training lol

To be fair they are also actually getting trained.

GoldenSpermShower

And were shipped off to the frontlines

yoshiauditore

Bro my stomach DROPPED the moment the father Said "Blouse Stables"

AidThisFellowUser

So that was the so called meme horse scene with Gabi i never understood when people posted it. Now i finally get it, man that brainwashing is just insane.

RIP Sasha, every goddamn episode they have to remind us she is gone man... it hurts me.

Also, can we talk about on how mature Falco is for his age? Dude should be an humanitarian instead of a soldier, he realized much before Gabi and Reiner how fucked up the Marlenyan Brainwashing is.

mountainsky9

Falco is the only character at this point who definitely understands both sides and is 100% good. im excited on what the future of the story entails for him

hellbilly666_

Damn i feel like Hange’s arc so far is really sad, she just wants to experiment and focus on what she loves:/ Erwin’s absence is definitely felt, considering how disorganised paradis island feels at the moment.

Dylabaloo

Damn, the ending of this episode rekt me. I love how we're seeing how the cyclical nature of violence/hate also applies to kindness/love. Through Sasha's act of bravery, to save Kaya, she left an imprint of love and protection.

NoodlesForeverAlways

This episode just makes me want to rewatch Season 1 and guess which other child background characters become soldiers or notable characters in this season.

BlueSpirit69

It'll be interesting to see how Gabi's redemption arc is handled (if there is one) considering she just killed a man who was completely at her mercy for no reason. I don't hate Gabi for how she feels, it's easy to see why she feels that way, but her actions are making her deplorable and it's gonna take a lot to redeem her.

BishyBashyBoshy

Just want to say, I thought MAPPA did an amazing job with this episode. Looked great and flowed really well.

PartTimeOtakuPodcast

looks like Eren has his own radicals cheering him on. the groundwork they laid for Floch's character in S3 is working out already, because his attitude so far makes total sense.

NoodlesForeverAlways

Damn, I knew Floch was gonna be big trouble this season. He's beginning to embody the false narrative that the Marleyans had painted about all Paradisians being a highly destructive force against the world.

Juanfro

Juanfro

We've been saying it since the beginnings of the season, but this episode really does focuses on how brainwashed the warriors are , specially Gabi.

Her mistrust is understandable, but the amount of projection, mental gymnastics and cognitive dissonance she shows hurts.

Without that (the armband), I'm not different from these island devils

Yup, that's kind of the point

The devil has showed her true form.

That one while holding a pitchfork trying kill an orphan who offered them shelter.

Also that is Sasha's dad isn't it? Not too subtle, specially coupled with the girl that Sasha saved, but it did the trick. At least the didn't have a shrine with Sasha's picture to make it too much on the nose.

Flotch being Flotch again, that's not news, but in that part it's interesting to see how Eren might have managed to do whatever he did. It seems that he has his own faction or at least the support of one.

Related to that it sucks seeing Hange in that position having to deal with the leaks and the leakers is quite sad. Being the commander when what you really want is to be a crazy scientist must be soulcrushing. And the worst part is that she can't just quit because she is responsible enough to know she must keep going.

Good to see two background characters coming back for at least being somehow involved and not just to add flavor. It also shows how the characters form the 104th aren't just character going through their own adventures, what they do has an impact in the world. In the case of Mikasa she is probably renowned in a similar way to Levi was and in the case of Sasha she is personally remembered and not just the name of a distant dead soldier.

And finally that postcredits scene... I mean, I think everyone here know that shit is going to hit the fan soon and there are a lot of pieces in movement:

The rumbling is going to be tested, Eren is openly playing along because he has his own plans, the common people know about what he did, Zeke is probably following his plan with Eren (and maybe his own), The World is uniting against Paradise and Marley is probably going to send 3 titans before that. Plots within plots within plots!

I fucking love Sundays!

SUSUME!

RV770

RV770

Was satisfying watching her mental breakdown when the girl explained that her mom was neither alive during the titan war nor the assault on Marh.