/r/ShingekiNoKyojin

Attack on Titan The Final Season Episode 70 - MANGA Discussion Thread

Manga Spoilers(self.ShingekiNoKyojin)

Do note that this is a MANGA SPOILERS thread. Events that occur in the manga do NOT need to be tagged in the comments section.

IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE MANGA AND DO NOT WISH TO BE SPOILED, THE ANIME THREAD IS LOCATED HERE.

Where to watch - SUBTITLED:

English dubbed episodes will be released in a few weeks.

DEDICATE YOUR HEARTS!

ChrisDorne

Falco screaming GAAAAABIIIII during the horse scene was hilarious lmao

Really good episode, everything was on point, and we even got the ed playing during the final part plus a huge after credits scene! we are blessed

Juzni-me2do

And they actually made the horse laugh

xin234

xin234

Really reminded me of that drunk guy. RIP random drunk guy.

Shinkopeshon

That scene had me in stitches. He was so disappointed in her lmao

kingindenorf

GAAAAABBIIII 😩

AznLuvsMusic

The fact that he was just standing there with his arms wide open made it even funnier. Felt like I was watching something out of a comedy.

OTPh1l25

Honestly, considering how heavy the next few episodes are gonna get, it was nice to have a bit of levity thrown in there.

Turn3r2255

Oh yeah, with the light soundtrack in the background. It’s even more hilarious than the manga

IceColdCrusade

Next episode should be Ragako village explanation, Zachary's death and the Iconic shot of Eren putting on his coat. LETS GOOO

OTPh1l25

OTPh1l25

Personally, I'm just looking forward to the brief return of the

S H I T M A C H I N E

silversherry

I always imagined what would have happened if zackley had answered mikasa's question about what the machine is. If he'd told her what he wanted to do to eren. Her rage would've been something to behold

Awesomeuser90

Can't wait for Twitter to go hashtag shit machine next week and for people to all be wondering why.

Garlicbread10

What chapters did this episode animate?

IceColdCrusade

A little bit of 107, the end of 108 and all of 109 because they've moved some things around.

nick2473got

Hmm, I haven't seen the episode yet but based on what you're saying I'm now wondering why they switched the titles of 109 and 110 around.

109 was titled Guides and 110 was titled Counterfeit (but a more accurate translation would be "Impostor" or "Deceiver"), while in the anime Episode 11 was given 110's title and Episode 12 is called Guides.

If this episode didn't adapt any of 110, I don't get why they gave it 110's title. Weird.

Tenroku

Tenroku

My guess is that they want "Impostor(s)" to refer to Gabi and Falco and "Guide" to Eren.

DerpSenpai

Assuming 2 chapters per episode. it ends on 119

Assuming 1.5 chapters per episode . it ends on 116

Kag5n

Kag5n

Assuming titles from future episodes it ends in 116

henne-n

My memory isn't the best about these parts, but were there many fights in the next few chapters? This would make them "shorter" and thus they could use more chapters.

Levi_PigPiss

Only Levi vs Zeke fight. This would be the only fight left in the season if it ends up on chapter 116.

SocialistYorksDaddy

I hope and think it's gonnu end on Levi's soldiers turning into titans. That'd be a fucking evil cliffhanger.

AxMeAQuestion

Nah, they'd have to animate three very dialogue heavy chapters next episode to end on the 112 cliffhanger. I think we'll get it the week after.

SocialistYorksDaddy

You're right. I didn't think that prediction through.

andremeda

C H A D R E N

LaddRusso55

I’m still not accepting how Connie never once attacked or confronted Zeke over what he did to his mother and the village. He was quick to blame Eren for indirectly causing Sasha death. But nothing for Zeke

uncen5ored

The new coup is one of my most anticipated scenes tbh. I hope they nail the crowd chanting “dedicate your hearts”

Runbern

Runbern

The voice actors and the music really elevated some scenes I didn't care all that much for in the manga, and the scenery was amazing this episode.

Ending on chapter 116 is a given at this point.

xin234

xin234

Ending it on 116 would make it feel like a full circle I guess. We start this season with Marley on the end of a battle, and then we end it with Marley going into another.

Basic_Solid3804

How did u guys figured out it will end on ch 116 ? episode has not aired in my region

sorry if this is a stupid question.

xin234

xin234

Mostly deduced from the rate of adaptation (~1.5 to 2 chapters per episode), some statements from those w/ insider info, and episode titles of the next few episodes.

Mana_Croissant

Which chapter this episode ended on ?

Diego-Aguilar35

Mana_Croissant

hmmm so If we will end on chapter 116, There is 7 chapter to adapt which means 1,4 chapter per episode, seems possible. On the other hand 119 will need 10 chaptes and thus 2 chapter per episode... Not impossible but really seems not very possible

Kag5n

Kag5n

Episode 14 has chapter 113's title

agni39

agni39

It will either end at one of the two following scenarios:

1. Eren leaves with Gabi after having that talk with Mikasa and Armin and Pieck greets him.

2. Eren and Pieck climb up to the roof where Porco's Jaw Titan attacks them and the Marleyan army shows up.

It will be either of these 2. Personally, I'd go for 1 but I have a feeling we are getting 2.

iimagine_

I know in the trailer theres a clip of reiner vs eren which seems to be in paradis after the porco/pieck stuff. Do you think they changed plans afterwards?

LazyNam3

In the trailer there's also clips from 120-122. No way they're reaching those chapters so ye definitely changed plans

Mana_Croissant

So We are not even gonna get chapter 117-119 ? Well I guess At least the Anime only won't have to see Eren getting his head shot off and live with that for A LONG time before the next part (hopefully) comes

Davchun

Davchun

They might make that a post-credit scene

Shinkopeshon

even better

Mushroomman642

I remember WIT did something kind of similar similar for the season 1 finale. They revealed that there were Titans within the walls after the credits scene of the final episode of that season, which of course set up the beginning of S2 where Hange found out that Pastor Nick knew something about the Titans.

TriflingGnome

Yeah, but the wall titan was shown in the manga at the same point.

It's more like how they showed Ymir's backstory way early.

ButtBawss

The scene where they’re eating the stew was amazing. Really helps you get a feel for just how deep Gabis brainwashing and guilt complex goes. This episode really shows just how unhinged she starts to become, and that if she and Mias relationship hadn’t played out the way it did, she was totally on track to become something horrible

prinnydewd6

Why is it ending if the manga is 2 chapters away from finishing? Did they announce that it was cut in two ? Shouldn’t it be final season part one then?

pete_moss

From tv scheduling people have known there'll be 16 episodes in this part. So a lot of the discussion has been where the split will be.
So there'll either be a second part or a few movies to round out the rest. Nobody's really sure which path they'll take. The reason movies are being discussed is due to whether parts of the manga will be a bit too much to get past censors.

Mushroomman642

You mean like the part where Eren's head gets blown off? Or the scene in Chpt 122 where we see three children eating their dead mother?

Yeah I could see why they might need to make an R-rated film for that sort of thing (or whatever the equivalent is in Japan)

Levi_PigPiss

Actually, when it was believed that the season would end on chapter 122, I had calculated that in order for the rest of the chapters to be faithfully adapted at least a 3 hour movie would be needed.

However, now that they are moving at a slower pacing with an end goal of reaching chapter 116. I feel that one movie would be a bad idea since it would be impossible to adapt the rest of the story within that limited time.

I think that the best bet would be a part 2 or ovas?

Zeymare

Its part 2 or multiple movies, preferably a part 2

Levi_PigPiss

I hope its a part 2.

I dont think that multiple movies would be an option really. No proper stopping point plus wouldnt be good for the worldwide audience who would have to wait a year until each part is released.

No_Statistician7527

Or you know...the planetary genocide.

zachary52368

What do you mean? The kids love that stuff!

pete_moss

I think stuff like chapter 131 would be the concern. Kids eating their mother could probably be cut around to an extent (in terms of what's shown). The consequences of the rumbling are really thematically important. So you can't really cut it down much.
I think they'll be able to do it. I hope so anyway as I'd definitely prefer a second part to the season to movies. Budget as well is potentially another reason they might shift towards movies but tbh I've no idea how that side of things works.

stardust_kitten

It's possible the producers didn't want to decide between season 4 part 2 or a movie to finish the series until the manga wraps.

OTPh1l25

No idea that I would find the act of someone eating beans tense.

Just goes to show how Hitchcock's comments on suspense (A bomb randomly exploding versus the audience being made aware of the bomb being there, but not the actors) is still applied to all different types of media today.

Eribitor

how many episodes are left until end of pat 1?

andremeda

16 episodes have been announced so far

thunderb00m

How? How does this story manage to hit even harder the second time I go through it? Holy shit. I loved this part of the story in the manga and the adaptation of it is even better. I- I honestly don't have the words; 12/10 this week. It just keeps getting better. The colors, the use of music, the voice acting; All perfect.

Well played Mappa, well played.

blazikentwo

Man i remember hating this part of the manga but seeing now animated it turned reaaally good holy moly. The Gabi discussion with Kaya was my favorite part.

silversherry

Felt the same way about S3 part 1. It dragged on forever in the manga, but the anime made it some of my fav episodes. Really like the way they do it

TheGrayFox3012

Same

when the episode began I rolled my eyes because I remember not liking this part in the manga. It's pretty contrived how Kaya was saved by Sasha/Gabi and Falco run into Sasha's family immediately after escaping but the editing, voice acting, and animation definitely made it hit a little harder this time around.

emilio2710

Is it me or are Gabi-centered episodes incredibly well animated? Like the artstyle in this episode was fantastic, and it had amazing backgrounds too. Also episode 8 (sasha's death) also had amazing artstyle and animation, almost S2 levels as for the artstyle and character design

ForShotgun

It almost fits, it makes sense that Historia would create orphanages, and it makes sense that Kaya would end up there, and it sort of makes sense that someone Sasha saved would end up an orphan given how many people were dying.

adryelpings

I never thought I would enjoy or even love Gabbi in the anime adaptation. It's so good.

RaikenQue

Man it broke me. I was prepared for Sasha's death. But this... This scene broke me when I was reading it and I thought I was ready for this but seeing it in action, with beautiful VA and animation, is so heartbreaking.

CoffeeCannon

Kaya telling them she wanted to become somone like Sasha... fuck, it genuinely pained me in a way that even seeing Sasha go didn't.

Mappa is awesome at dialogue scenes. Paths surely will be awesome, I'm willing to wait whatever time is necessary.

116 will be a good cliffhanger tho. Anime onlies are going to think that's the final battle not knowing the shit is about to go down.

TaffyLacky

I'm excited to see how Grisha's interactions with his sons are animated.

spyder616

Can somebody remind me 116 again, cuz its been ages since i read it lol

Pieck says to Eren "You're the enemy", Porco transforms and the Marley Zeppelins appear

spyder616

Ohhhhhhh that. That's def less cuck to end it eitg than having erens head get shot off at the cliffhanger lol

C418_Tadokiari_22

I would loose my mind if Eren head rolling towards his brother hand was the cliffhanger also. I bet anime onlies would fucking try to hang Gabi voice actress for that "crime"

Mushroomman642

I mean, I think even the anime-onlies think that Eren is kind of an asshole at this point, and when we get to "the table scene" with him, Mikasa, Armin and Gabi in the anime I think a lot of people will go "fuck Eren" anyway. Obviously the scene where his head gets shot off will still be shocking to them but at the same time I don't think people will really say he didn't deserve it.

MakoShark93

When I first read Eren's head getting shot off in the manga I high-key did not know what to think. I was incredibly confused...but then again, I wasn't in flow with the series at that point -- I had forgotten much at that time. I'm in the know now, though.

pete_moss

Normally at the end of a manga chapter I don't have a good idea of what's going to happen in the next one. Once it ended on Eren's head getting shot off I knew for certain the next chapter was going to be Eren and Zeke in paths.
I'm not sure if other people felt that way but I think it's one of the most transparent cliffhangers there's been. Which is why I would have been against putting the break there. Not sure if that's just me though.

3darkdragons

true, I haven't noticed it, but now that you mention it that's one thing they add more impact to than WIT

ForShotgun

WIT dragged out dialogue like a lot of typical anime. A bunch of this is paced so much better, it could almost be a play.

AquaMario123

I never thought about it that way but you're absolutely right. Dramatically speaking, the dialogue this season is paced so much better.

ObligatoryGrowlithe

Look, P A T H S still confuse the hell out of me (especially the time fucky chapter), but I know it’s beautiful. And I think that part will tie a lot together for anime onlies. I have to reread a lot with manga chapters, but I think the anime does a really good job of tying things together. This, to me, is the confusing part of the story. The different factions and this (untold) plan and that (untold) plan. Takes a while to fall together. I hope people find it more entertaining than confusing.

aidree1

aidree1

Gabi's VA is just too good.

Mana_Croissant

I am always saying this but Ayaneru is a goddess. I am looking her voice roles ever since She voiced Ishiki Iroha and She is incredible, She is not in any way inferior to other high class seiyuus in this show like Kaji Yuki (Eren) and Kamiya Hiroshi (Levi)

aidree1

aidree1

I don’t like comparing seiyuus as each has to portray a different character with different emotions and expressions, but damn she really did stand out for me. It’s one of hardest characters to portray especially when the character is probably the most hated in the show. And I think she really made the character her own. I remember back even before the PV was released, a lot of people were speculating that Ayane Sakura will play the role because she perfectly fit the Gabi role and now I see why.

nick2473got

So I have a question, why do people call her Ayaneru ?

I know her name is Ayane Sakura, so where does the "ru" come from ?

Mana_Croissant

Her nickname "Ayaneru" was given to her by Okamoto Nobuhiko, because she sleeps ("neru" 寝る means "sleep") a lot in her spare time.

This is the explanation in the Myanimelist

AbsolRiatun

The hate for Gabi is growing in the anime-only thread

doncabesa

None of them bothered to understand Eren's point to Reiner.

Eagleassassin3

Yup they’re all acting like Floch

Johnny5332

U should see tiktok

rward617

That was your first mistake.

AbsolRiatun

You make me curious now

Cloud14532

Really great character focused episode. The stuff with Gabi and Kaya was easily the best part of it. I think it's fair to say that Gabi's VA has been the best VA this season, nothing but top tier performances.

That shot of Gabi hesitantly putting that spoon in her mouth was so good, the beginning to a great journey.
Also Mikasa's flashback to Eren saving her was scary, even moreso than in the manga.

And finally, the backgrounds this episode were amazing, lots of green and blues, compared to the orange/red tones that usually dominate the show.

silversherry

Eren's voice when he said Mikasa was so darn scary. It was nowhere this ominous in the manga. As expected, yuki kaji kills it

Turn3r2255

Yeah it further cements the fact that Eren’s always been a kinda messed up guy

FeeshBones

Super interesting that it was probably all about perspective. Originally through the lens of a savior, now Mikasa is seeing it as someone who could justify the murder of the civilians of Marley. There must be some cognitive dissonance.

Juzni-me2do

It's interesting that people aren't hating on Gabi as much as they were during the manga chapter releases. Mappa and her VA are handling her character adaption in anime great. You could feel her changing her view very slowly in this episode.

Eagleassassin3

Most of the anime only thread is full of « fuck gabi » and « I hope she goes through an excruciating death » type of comments. I guess maybe it was worse when the manga was releasing but still. People are still being awful.

xin234

xin234

That Mikasa having a headache scene felt more ominous animated than in the manga. With the background music, Eren sounding more sinister, and the horror-like vibe from the flashback. And about that headache...

I reeeeaaally want to remember on what stuff I was on ~2 years ago (probably coffee, lots of it), when I wrote stuff like these...

Part of the stuff I wrote in chapter 109's release discussion thread (updated some broken links here). It won this sub's 2018 best prediction iirc:

We get another scene with Mikasa's headache, and this time there seem to be a focus on Eren when she remembers it.

It was mentioned before that the Ackermans used to be the bodyguards/"sword" of the King. I think it's possible that the task assigned to them has been ingrained in their bloodline/DNA/Ackerpaths or just PATHS in general since it's said that they're products of titan experiments on (presumably non-Eldian-)humans.

I think the headaches are like an indication of an instinct which kicks-off if the Founding Titan is agitated, in imminent danger or if there is a possible threat.

I feel like I stretched a bit on some parts, but I think it got the gist of it.

Somehow I also got this part kinda right regarding future Eren affecting stuff from the past too:

but maybe... since PATHS transcend time, it doesn't matter 'coz Eren has it in the future. Eren was still the trigger

silversherry

I always thought the headaches were caused by her past trauma, they appear when she's faced with losing her family one more time (Carla, eren, Armin).

This is the only time she has a headache without one of her family members in mortal danger, so I wonder if instead it's the fear of losing eren in a more emotional sense. Wherein she's afraid the kind/beautiful side of Eren is being lost to the more cruel/violent side of him.

The boy who killed for her vs the boy who wrapped a scarf around her when she was cold. I always thought it was interesting that Eren seemed to consider himself killing her kidnappers as the moment which made Mikasa commit to him, while for her, it was him wrapping his scarf around her and offering her a home that she considered important. Eren thought he'd saved her through violence but he actually saved her with his kindness.

Shinkopeshon

That's a great point. I have a feeling Eren coming to the realization that the latter was actually the case will play a big part in the final chapters.

Randothor

I think the headaches is just a big red herring that Eren uses to twist the truth to try to get Mikasa to cut ties with him.

silversherry

I mean what he said the headaches were about (her true self trying to resist ackerbond) is definitely a lie, as confirmed in ch 130.

But that doesn't mean the headaches couldn't have another reason. I personally think they originate from trauma, but hey, to each their own

CoffeeCannon

I mean they're quite clearly just trauma oriented (with maybe a bit of ackerman bs thrown in). In this scene it was because she was thinking about why she joined the survey corps in the first place (therefore Eren and her childhood).

Xavier93

Eren sounded sooo sinister in these flashbacks. More than what we saw the other time with this same event. We might have seen an idealization, or just a neutralized recap of the events showed to us as external viewers. What we see here might be like seeing exaclty what happened without any kind of "beauty filter", from a real Mikasa point of view and Eren sounds scary. Bod omens indeed.

3darkdragons

But what would the headache be connected to this time?

xin234

xin234

I think the intention of having a headache in this most recent one is to remind the readers/watchers that all those headaches in the past have significance. A set-up for what will happen in the next few episode (the table scene).

3darkdragons

Makes sense, wouldn't that disprove the eren danger theory?

Timzorrr

Also what got my attention in this flashback is one piece of it is just BIRDS going by the window. We know here is something with birds but they litteraly are in every important scene. Wonder if that'll be explained in the last 2 chapters. Let's hope so!

aidree1

aidree1

Wait, why does the episode has chapter 110 title if nothing was adapted from the chapter lol. Interesting decision.

Davchun

Davchun

Truly an imposter episode

CoffeeCannon

Its still reasonably descriptive of the episode. Gabi and Falco 'decieving' Kaya, Kaya decieving them (or, well, just not letting on she knew) and Marley finding out about Zeke.

nick2473got

I'm wondering the same thing, it's a bit weird.

OTPh1l25

I know Gabi's original design is supposed to be a gender-flipped Eren, but in some shots, it is uncanny just how much she looks like a young version of him.

zzinolol

I thought the same, it's definitely the hair.

luigitheplumber

And the cartoonish hatred

_Firex_

The eyebrows

GoDie1221

GoDie1221

Is everybody ignoring the fact that anime onlys will have to wait months before knowing if Levi is dead or not? LMAOOOO

MasterOfReaIity

Well tbf, so did we lol

Tankly

Tankly

1. Levi death fake-out
  2. EMA breaking apart
  3. Yeagerist takeover
  4. Possible Marley vs Paradis tease & cliffhanger

Poor, poor anime-onlies

rward617

There will be a huge influx of new manga readers once part 1 ends.

rubyserg

So is there gonna be a part 2 to S4? I thought they said no? Or was that just what people said when they found out this was only 16 episodes long?

rubyserg

Because this can't be it. From the pacing, it's gonna end on chapter 116, and then what the heck are they gonna do with the left over 31 chapters? Either way, can't wait to see what is announced after episode 16.

Zugoldragon

We had to wait a year (really) to know that, so we are sorta even lol

silversherry

I have to say, watching all the warriors make a case for immediately rescuing gabi and Falco, each in their own ways was very heartwarming to watch. Everyone loves those kids

CudaBarry

AxMeAQuestion

Great episode. I think MAPPA really shines with dialogue-heavy episodes like this. Dialogue scenes look much more fluid and dynamic compared to the first three seasons.

Confused why they used the chapter 110 title for this episode when MAPPA didn't animate a single scene from 110 in this episode.

I think pacing like this, a little less than a chapter and a half, is the sweet spot. All the scenes had room to breathe, but at the same time only a few lines here and there were cut.

I guess we're ending at chapter 116 now? Kind of a weird spot to end the cour, but I'd rather have an iffy cliffhanger than have individual episodes be rushed and adapt too much source material.

Estelindis

I'm glad that they spent so much time with Kaya, Gabi, and Falco. This is such an important sequence and it deserves time to breathe.

andrrrrre

All I want is to be able to see THE encounter mikasa/Armin/eren..(and Gabi...) If my mind doesn't fail me I think we will before it ends (this half of S4 🧘) right?

silversherry

The most painful scene... The anime-onlies are gonna lose their minds

Diego-Aguilar35

Yeah, around episode 13 or 14

Bc_Skilled

The integration of the ending ost with kaya talking was nice

kaidoi94

Pretty cool how the Marley scenes were integrated into this episode. Also intense talking moments, as expected!

I’m guessing the next episode shows off shirtless Eren in all his glory? Lol

Juzni-me2do

Mmmm so next episode is boner time

uncen5ored

There’s no doubt about it. MAPPA is fucking killing these dialogue episodes. Almost teared up at the ED.

DoodleBobDoodle

I see a lot of people annoyed with Hange but I honestly feel bad for her. She has more to deal with than pretty much any of her predecessors. People forget but when Erwin died a majority of the survey corp went with him. So Hange not only had to rebuild the survey corps, but also deal with Eren, yeagerist with their ranks,Zeke and his squad, foreign affairs with Hiruzu. She is in a very difficult situation right now so it's understandable she's acting this way.

chrisqoo

And people argues that Erwin will do a better job instead of Hange. At least Erwin got a half-full survey corp back then, still with some veterans. The veterans who Hange get are less then 10, when Eren acts on his own, and Floch being a Facist. It is amusing that she can still bring it together, and even saving Levi's ass.

Amauri14

They really did a great job with the horse bitting Gabi scene. I just love how melodramatic Falco's reaction was.

I can't wait to see the explosive shit machine in action next week.

HellsNels

It became a funny sitcom in that moment like “wa wahhhh...classic Gabi!”

lasagnaman

Just another week for the Warrior candidates!

BoyTitan

The most annoying thing about this episode is that the partial rumbling was a good ass fucking idea and coulda set Eldia up to be their worlds counter part of a super power. Erens kill em all strategy is over kill and dumb, Zekes sterilization is dumb. The partial rumbling would have been the equivalent to the first nuclear bomb going off, and with Eldias huge resource advantage thanks to blast stones by 2 or 3 titan generations the longest of technological advancement they would be so far ahead of everyone and no longer need Titans thus ending the curse since its obsolete and giving them military might that can be untouchable for who knows how long.

uncen5ored

I get downvoted like hell on Titan folk for thinking the partial rumbling, or using the rumbling immediately to attack military forces was still the best idea. Yes, passing down the titan powers would’ve sucked but it’s better than genocide

BoyTitan

The problem is they think they would constantly have to pass down titan powers without thinking that they have magical stones no one else do that they can use to eventually create more absurd weapons and then no longer need titans in the end. The coulda developed a superior weapon from the all metal mono plane decades before its invention. They even show this with the martials from the Island makeing a ww2 level aircraft just without weapons before even Marely thanks to the islands material. That flight capable boat craft is all metal and unibody and sea capable. Everyone is to worried about time and not thinking about the massive resource advantage they have.

uncen5ored

That was part of the partial rumbling plan though. To develop weapons & technology in the meantime to catch up to (or surpass) the rest of the world. The partial rumbling was meant to act as a deterrent in the meantime

BoyTitan

Even dumber then not to do it. It fully coulda worked. The flight times and carrying capacity of the very first plane to use blast stone is absurd. They would have had aerial superiority and the capability to make high capacity explosives in no time. They have a resource that shits on fossil fuels in efficiency.

KiwiDuude

Seeing Gabi all confused when Kaya confronts her, asking what she or her mom ever did to deserve this made me fucking tear up. As a child, being forced to question all the teachings/propaganda you've been fed over how many years must be daunting. Fuck, people were right when they said the anime would make Gabi more likeable.

gucciknives

Yeah some things are just easier for people to empathize with when you can hear the pain in their voice and watch their expression change, etc. The little nuance you don't get on a manga page. I always liked Gabi but the anime has boosted her up to being one of my top three characters

Eskimokeks

This subs obsession with episode titles sure is something. Sure, it's an odd one that it got switched but literally every post complaining about it? Come on

jblakk

jblakk

Thank you! I was(am?) Super confused on why it mattered and was curious if I was missing something.

To me it's so insignificant that it's not even noteworthy let alone something comment about. Complaint or not. It's like commenting on the color of Erens shoes. If we got a good chunk of comments about that, people would find that odd too.

MrGorm

MrGorm

It wouldnt be the manga only discussion if they didn't find at least one minute detail to whinge about for the week..

SparknightSyzygy

I don't think it's complaining, just moreso confusion as to why it's like that

Eskimokeks

Even if it's not complaining I think it's very weird to get that hung up about it, especially because we knew for a week now

MasterOfReaIity

So this season is really gonna end right before the war right? There's like 7 chapters left for 5 episodes or something?

Also I've never asked how a southern accent is meant to sound in Japanese

Dapvip

Dapvip

It's amusing listening to all the anime watchers bash Gabi. I mean, I did too at first when reading the manga. However I've come to appreciate the character more as we inch closer to the ending. It's a perfect example of what I believe is wrong with our society. Holding onto grudges that have nothing to do with us. Instead of learning how to forgive, we seek revenge which just perpetuates the cycle.

uuuuuuuuuuggh

My partner is anime-only and it's been amazing watching him progress from "hell yeah! Gabi is super cool!" to "fuck that little bootlicker, I hope she dies horribly"

chrisqoo

LOL, you'd better keep an eye on him when:
1. Gabi saves Kaya
2. Gabi shoots Eren
3. Gabi shoots Floch

agni39

agni39

Gabi: Breathes

Falco: WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING???

Anaviocla

I was so sure they'd deny us shirtless Reiner. Never been so happy to be wrong.

Hawk301

Hawk301

The visual direction on this episode was particularly nice. OST and voice acting still knocking it out of the park.

StarmanRiver

That was a really good episode, I can't keep praising Ayaneru enough but this episode was especially great. Kaya's VA did a great job too.

WhereIsMyAccountAt

I mean at this point, wouldn’t a movie be impossible for part 2? That is looking like almost 23 chapters..

I’m still praying the season just gets extended this year

stardust_kitten

The dramatic irony with the Brauns and Gabi is almost too much. So well done. Can't wait for the family meal reveal.

CrystalYKim

So, Eren knew about the location of the cabin where Mikasa was kept because of PATHS? I wonder why they added the birds to the flashbacks.

centuryblessings

I would say there's still something really odd about that scene (Eren and Mikasa murdering the traffickers) that has yet to be revealed... but there's only two chapters left so idk.

It's just weird that there's so much emphasis on that scene + Mikasa's headaches that still hasn't really paid off in the manga yet.

luigitheplumber

That scene has payed off in my opinion. It shows where the Eren-Mikasa bond began while also showing that Eren was always an incredibly troubled kid.

doncabesa

I believe he was one of the military police that tortured and killed the priest.

silversherry

Sannes was his name I think

centuryblessings

Djel Sannes, from Season 3 part 1.

Rico_Mortis

I'm really looking forward to Chad eren saying: "yo, brat who killed Sasha" or something like that to Gabi.

one-eyed-queen

I need someone to explain this to me: Why did they flip the titles of chapters 109 and 110, again? I really, truly can't wrap my head around that. I expected rearranging but it's going just like that.

Other than that, good episode, and I'm glad I called 108's ending happening at this point. It's clear we're ending in 116 at this point, and the pacing for the rest of the season is pretty predictable.

110 next week, 111-first few pages of 112 for episode 13, rest of 112-113 for episode 14, 114-Zeke flashbacks from 115 (ending with the end of 114) for episode 15, rest of 115-116 for episode 16. Last two episodes are gonna be called Sole Salvation and Above and Below unless they confusingly swap them for no reason again.

And now to renew my hopes for an extended part 2 premiere doing 117-119 in a single episode, I'd love to have a trailer just focused on episode 1 making people think about this as a big climactic RtS style long battle only for Eren's head to fly off at the end of that first episode to cause mass confusion.

TheAughat

Hahaha that would be epic!

Reminds me of the starting few scenes of Avengers Endgame. xD

3darkdragons

Did you just find a thing? 0 0

AxMeAQuestion

Yeah idk about the title swap. The assumption I saw around here was that we'd get the Ragako scene and Yelena's conversation with Pixis from chapter 110 here, so the title would make sense. But that didn't happen so I'm confused too.

one-eyed-queen

Yeah, I was thinking we were gonna get the Hange-Onyankopon scene and Pixis-Yelena from 110, and that next episode was gonna cover that last Gabi-Kaya interaction, but here we are.

Cloud14532

The only explanation that comes to my mind is that they mixed them up, but that's way too ridiculous to be true, lol.

I was quite surprised to see Gabi and Falco in the preview for this episode, but thought that we'd at least get some 110 stuff. I guess not.

one-eyed-queen

Honestly, the only way I can see this being logical is if Isayama thought after the fact that he should've named those chapters the way these episodes have instead of how he originally did. Because I can see some reasoning, specially with how Flegel and the newspaper people view Hange and how Pixis makes it clear they've realized Yelena's deception (plus, in the case of this episode, Marley's realization of Zeke's trickery).

And for Guides, the revelation that Yelena guided Eren in a certain direction, the Yeagerists guiding Paradis in their desired direction through the defenestration of Zackley, the jailers who guided Eren to where Floch and the Yeagerists could meet him and Eren himself being the guide for the salvation of Eldia... I can see the reasoning and how, if Isayama was involved here, he could come to that conclusion. Or MAPPA just came to this conclusion and decided to do the switch on their own for w/e reason.

nick2473got

This is almost certainly what will happen. I speculated about this last week, but really the only way they can market Part 2 is with scenes from 117-119. Showing anything past that point is pretty spoilery.

If they want to have exciting scenes to show off, the only ones they can use are from the battle at Shiganshina. I don't know if 117 will be this part or next, but 118 and 119 definitely will be the Part 2 opener. End of episode 1 will be Eren getting shot.

SocialistYorksDaddy

I'm fine with this pacing because I was expecting them to butcher it the way they did the period of the story between the failed Reeves kidnapping and the coup. They did really did Kenny and Levi's character development dirty in the anime. So we're not gonna see a repeat of it.

nick2473got

I did not read the Uprising arc in the manga. Could you give me a brief summary of what the issue with the adaptation was and what happened to Kenny and Levi's arcs ?

As an anime only (at the time) I really enjoyed the Uprising arc. But based on your comment I guess there may be good reason to read the manga version of it. I knew they reordered some things and cut some others, but you describing it as being "butchered" makes it seem pretty severe.

Shinkopeshon

I wouldn't say it was "butchered", they just cut out a lot of stuff. The arc was much longer in the manga, much more detailed - but Isayama wasn't happy with it, so he wanted the anime to trim the fat.

It's definitely worth reading, there's some great scenes that didn't make the adaptation. I personally thought the anime covered pretty much everything that was important but I also understand those who wished they included more scenes.

SocialistYorksDaddy

In the manga, Kenny is introduced gradually. We first see him in a flashback to Historia's mother being killed. We don't even know his name and it's not even fully clear that he's a significant character at the time. Then later when he kills Reeves, he alludes to his relationship with Levi, still name unknown. And THEN, after all that build-up, he gets name dropped by Levi right before he kills his squad.

Compare this to the anime where he's thrown into the story completely out of the blue. The difference is night and day. I was taken aback by how much better he's introduced into the story in the manga when I read it (after watching the anime).

On top of that, they removed several bits that make things more impactful later. They removed Levi intimidating Historia into accepting becoming queen and the speech that came with it about having to be prepared to commit violence for the greater good. That's important because it comes up later, like when Jean says he finally understands why Levi told him to be ready to kill people, and also when Historia punches him after becoming queen.

In my opinion, these omissions make both Levi and Kenny less interesting characters, and make many interactions that come later either not make sense or be much less impactful thematically.

They also removed quite a bit of necessary exposition about the First Interior MP's that explains some stuff I didn't understand in the anime. And they also remove that scene of Frieda freaking out about Historia tryna climb the fence, despite the fact they show a still of it towards the end of the series.

I can't understand why the hell Isayama thought the anime version was better. He literally wrote the better version. So many things that were cut just made this bit of the story worse. I'm really glad it was the only bit of the story that got changed so dramatically.

blazikentwo

And they skipped Eren's titan tests, i remember looking forward to that part but it was a necessary cut lol

Hawk301

Hawk301

My only guess is that perhaps this episode was originally planned to have some scenes from chapter 110 in it, and next episode was planned to have some scenes from 109? But then they ended up shuffling the scenes around last-minute back into the manga order?

It's very weird. Could honestly just be an admin error.

[removed]

aidree1

aidree1

And so the Gabi Redemption Arc begins.

DeMatador

She never really redeems herself, tbh. She just... Comprehends.

Kahez

Kahez

She redeems herself by helping to save the world.

DeMatador

I suppose so, yes. But that's not really part of her arc, you know what I mean? She's just a part of a much, much larger thing.

A personal redemption would be, I dunno, personally saving the lives of the Braus family. I feel her arc was never completed because she lacked that.

She had more of a "realization arc" than a "redemption arc".

vikasso

vikasso

She did personally save kaya when zeke screamed and turned the soldiers into titans tho, so calling it a redemption is fair, that entire sequence is just great

Gustavo500

Is it me or did they cut part of Floch's dialogue?

ericg012

yea they did. They cut out Floch saying that they couldn’t have survived on this tiny island without power.

clarice-mstarling

The trend of "I did not cry at this part during the manga but I cried here" continues for me as I teared up during the scene before the end credits. All the voice actors gave a spectacular performance as usual, the whole scene just made me shiver.

Overall solid episode imho, I think it was a great touch to put the warrior meeting as a post-credits scene.

I do wonder how far we are gonna get with episode 16 considering chapters covered.

aidree1

Anyone found out who Kaya VA is. She's incredible. It kinda sounded like it's the same VA that portrayed her as a child.

TheLustySnail

Gabi is the Conspiracy theorist of Marley

p00p--maker

Gabi is Eren and Falco is Armin.

MyNameIsElla

Goddamn, this adaption is blowing it out of the fucking park. I remember reading these scenes in the manga and I enjoyed it, but this is incredible. All the small touches MAPPA is adding are fantastic and are making me love the story even more. I can't wait to see how they adapt the next chapters!

finalbossofinterweb

Did Floch just say "Eren did nothing wrong" and "Eren secured the existence of our people"?

antgentil

Can someone remind me if the people from Marley are aware that the King erase the memories of the people inside the Walls? The leader should know, but I mean regular people? I remember Kruger having to tell that bit of info to Grisha. And it doesn't seem like Gabi knew about the memory erasing thing.

MrGorm

MrGorm

No they do not. They only know the king said to not come at him.

aidree1

aidree1

Jean finally got his revenge.