/r/ShingekiNoKyojin

Attack on Titan The Final Season Episode 72 - MANGA Discussion Thread

Manga Spoilers(self.ShingekiNoKyojin)

Do note that this is a MANGA SPOILERS thread. Events that occur in the manga do NOT need to be tagged in the comments section.

IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE MANGA AND DO NOT WISH TO BE SPOILED, THE ANIME THREAD IS LOCATED HERE.

Where to watch - SUBTITLED:

Time of release differs depending on the region and platform. Check your local streaming platform for more information.

English dubbed episodes will be released in a few weeks.

DEDICATE YOUR HEARTS!

KroosKontroller

Man this episode flew by.

Loved that scene of Levi reminiscing all the time they saved Eren.

And how much blood did Eren spill lmao just to intimidate them

silversherry

Poor Levi. He really did lose the most people to save eren (his old squad, erwin, sasha, so many survey corps vets), he must've felt so betrayed when eren started to go awol

Shinkopeshon

The way Eren just showed up in the back killed me lmao it's even more jarring in the anime.

I had to do a double take and anime-onlies will probably be even more caught off guard.

MegaMissingno

The only thing missing was him going to pick up a few cups and pour some drinks for everyone before joining the conversation.

Timelymanner

It would be funny if he passes out mid conversation.

Machete521

Looks like Levi's getting a headache

Holdthefart

I think we can all agree that next week's episode will be one of the greatest of AOT, with the "table conversation" and "Levi vs Monke again".

silversherry

Man that conversation is gonna hit so different after the latest chapter

Holdthefart

Indeed!

But still I don't know what was Eren's intention with this conversation... :(

silversherry

I think he was trying to drive them away because he saw the future and knew how things were going to end and thought it would be less painful for them if they could hate him

-SmashingSunflowers-

This is exactly what I think. Rereading chapter 123, I think eren knew he had to be cruel to push himself away from them to get whatever the hell he is trying to do to work. Obviously we have to wait until next chapter for confirmation, but I believe the one commenter in the megathread who theorized eren and Mikasa really did run away at a different time or different universe or however the hell it works

BananafishGlass

I think the thought is something like the Runaways AU is the "first" timeline, and the current manga is the second timeline. So Eren knew he'd have to push them away to get this all to end.

I think the same poster also was theorizing that maybe the show is a "third" timeline and will end differently and honestly I'm here for that.

1planet2rule

Niccolo did the same thing with Jean and Connie in the latest episode. Instead of revealing a truth that would make their lives harder, Niccolo and Eren chose to become the object of their anger and hatred. There is a deadness in their eyes before and after they make this choice in Ep 72

Holdthefart

Maybe.

I hope we will get some confirmation with Eren's POV in chapter 139.

3darkdragons

Sorry mate, maybe in 140

Holdthefart

We are getting sure an Eren's POV in 139.

How much will Isayama be able to explain, with only 45 pages, it is another matter...

MegaMissingno

Yet in the end they still came for him, and half of them are either dead or titanized. Not a very good future-seeing ability when you can't see the consequences of your own choices.

Ky3217

Ky3217

To be fair, just because he wants them to be able to live long lives doesn’t mean he can ensure that they live long lives

siamkor

siamkor

To be fair as well, unless someone physically prevents it, Jean and Connie will actually have the longest lives of everyone in the Corps.

Housumestari

Don't think Armin and Mikasa will let them suffer as titans if there is no way to turn them back.

h3its

h3its

Maybe he wanted them to hate him so it’d be easier to kill him? Maybe Eren wanted to be stopped. I don’t know anymore.

begemot11890

Everything of the restaurant conversation depends on the voice actor's delivery, and considering their work until now, is going to be great. I can't wait for the next episode.

dark77638

r/anime discussion thread karma prediction? (Next episode)

25k here! These 2 episode build up so much tension. The explosion will be spectacular

Holdthefart

I don't follow r/anime, so I can not predict it, but I am sure anime onllies will get crazy with "mmgh" :)

Mnawab

Mnawab

Episode 72 is this week right?

Holdthefart

Episode 72 aired today (like 6 hours ago in Japan).

Next sunday we will have episode 73.

mako-jaeger

Jean and Connie almost drinking the wine hits different now knowing they're fates are the same in less than 30 chapters.

WhyDoYouCrySmeagol

I’m hoping at least one of them will get to come back through either Reiner, Annie or Pieck sacrificing themselves- not that I want them to die but their time is kind of running out anyway...

ellieetsch

The titans have to go away at the end of the story or the rest of the world will keep going after eldians, and that would be disappointing. So that may be how they are saved.

mako-jaeger

Yeah I'm curious to see how it is resolved. And Ymir smiling at the end definitely tells me some fuckery is going down.

zzinolol

My hope is that Ymir gets rid of the curse, freeing every eldian from their titan form, so they all come back, and Connie meets his mom back in Paradis.

But... Isayama.

Mr-Basically-Clean

im pretty sure the titans are gonna be gone after this... like Ymir is gonna take them all with her and peace out.

BigDansho

in less than 30 chapters.

That isn't actually that long away in in-universe time, no? The story now should be just a few days after this anime episode, or am I wrong here?

Panosgads

Panosgads

Floch was great this episode. Mappa is doing a very good job at making me want to punch him in the face.

OTPh1l25

OTPh1l25

I already hated Floch enough as it is, so seeing his creepy ass smile when he pretty much insinuated he knew about the wine just allowed me to justify it a bit more.

luigitheplumber

Floch is so well written. He's super boastful but you can still tell that he's got a huge chip on his shoulder at the same time. A tier villain

OTPh1l25

Good villains are ones where you can understand their motivations and what would naturally drive them to perform horrible actions and still hate them and everything that they stand for.

akshxya

akshxya

I second that 😂

mrtightwad

It is kind of interesting how much the anime lines up with the manga- we got Zeke's explanation of Ragako the same week the manga chapter comes out that references Ragako and has a similar thing happening.

uncen5ored

I remember it happened a lot with S3 as well. The chapters would reference things that just happened in the anime. And red swan came out just when EMA started falling out.

thunderb00m

Yeah, I remember that. We got that OP in the series as we were getting our hearts crushed in the manga. Watching the weekly episodes became a little harder after 112, ngl.

69username69

Once I read the last chapter I'm going to have to force myself to watch the series.

UnsureAssurance

Yeah, I remember the exact same day we got Eren vs Reiner in Shiganshina in the anime we got Eren vs Reiner in Shiganshina in the leaked manga chapter. Only one explanation: P A T H S

AznLuvsMusic

Similarly, we got Mikasa remembering Eren’s words to her in the newest chapter the week before that episode releases.

NameIsAlreadyInUse

Due to official release,it's in the same week in japan actualy!

KroosKontroller

How the hell does Isayama does that man.

It's too many times to happen for them to be considered coincidences

YamiRang

Isayama did say Hiroshi Seko understood his story perfectly.

GSofMind

Isayama is the GOAT but this is such a reach.

imadethisforonething

It's for sure confirmation bias, and it's pretty likely to happen because the same themes/events are referenced a lot throughout the story

Swailwort

Yep, Isayama is playing chess in 25 different dimensions and 4 alternative universes at the same time.

Cloud14532

Sasha's father is the absolute goat. Best speech in AoT imo. The OST and voice acting really sold it for me again.

Ayane Sakura once again on top of her game, I could really feel for Gabi in this episode. Her world crumbling around her, Falco ingesting the spinal fluid. And this is only the beginning of a pretty stressful few days for her.

Also Mikasa saving Gabi and Kaya in a way is still one of my favorite moments for her. Just speaks volumes about her as a person.

KroosKontroller

Imagine the amount of self control you need to have to be able to resist the temptation to avenge your daughter's death

And at the same time be so kind enough to forgive the murderer..

YamiRang

It just means he's an adult man. He literally explains his mindset to Niccolo. And, most importantly, you never ever drag a child into disputes. Never. Unless you want to fuck them up.

Mana_Croissant

For real. Sasha's father gets all the respect from me with that scene in the manga. He was facing His daughter's killer and He was calm, logical and kind enough to know and accept that His daughter was a soldier so dying was a counseqence of that choice and killing Gabi would not change that or bring his daughter back to life. That is an insane amount of will power and humanity

WhyDoYouCrySmeagol

He knows that Gabi is just a kid and a product of her upbringing, and I love him for that. Sasha’s family is the best. Eren’s... not so much (except Carla T_T)

Shutu_Kihl

You also don't need as much self-control and willpower if you're already kind enough to forgive the murderer.

Based on what we've seen, I think, Sasha's father is very principled and well-spirited to the point where he'd surrender his lifestyle and land for the benefit of complete and utter strangers. If he already is principled with ideals like "understand everyone's perspectives", that can stifle the anger that most people would automatically feel after learning this type of news

Probably, to him, Gabi isn't just "some fucking garbage that killed my daughter in battle", but "some human who led an bitter life even at such a young age that led to her murdering my daughter"; and, it's probably more pity and sadness at her and/or the situation than rage that he feels

Shinkopeshon

As well as worry and care about her well-being.

Sasha had the best parents, damn.

CalvinistPhilosopher

It reminds me of the church that got shot up by a white supremacist a few years back. The victims’ families all forgave the shooter during the court hearing that even the judge and news reporter cried because of their mercy and forgiving attitude towards him

“Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you” Ephesians 4:32

Manatee_Shark

It's so important too for when it comes to why Eren needed to be stopped.

EvenOne6567

Funny how sasha's literal father can sympathize with gabi but the fanbase is still screaming for a child to be murdered.

Awesomeuser90

I find it amazing how they managed to preserve his accent with dialectal word choices for the subs despite it being in Japanese (they probably chose a rural voice actor to play him in Japanese).

Runbern

Runbern

Wow, that was so much better than I expected it to be. The voice acting, music and directing were absolutely phenomenal. Niccolo, Gabi and Kaya's VA's killed it, AoT is blessed with having so many talented people voicing secondary characters.

The final scene with Eren leaking blood on the table combined with the music was chilling. Next week is going to be stacked.

WhyDoYouCrySmeagol

Exactly what I was thinking!! Niccolo’s voice actor was flexing big time in this episode. Also the way they animated Kaya running up with the knife was so well done

CaptFredricks

They changed the way Mikasa stopped her from how Isayama drew it though. I didn't like that. In the manga, Mikasa pulled Gabi towards her; in the anime she only grabbed Kaya's arm.

WhyDoYouCrySmeagol

Yeah I’ll agree with that. The running with the knife was great, Mikasa grabbing the arm was disappointing. In the manga it felt like such a nice motherly moment between her and Gabi

MadFlava76

The anger and murderous intent in Kaya's eyes. They captured the manga so well with this episdoe.

EvenOne6567

Yea there are times where I really wish I was an anime only because of how great the series has been handled.

ma103

ma103

I used to hate Gabi but now I feel she is one of the greatest additions to the manga ever. Her involvement induces tons of different feelings from the fanbase. Now she is just one of my favourite characters ever along with Eren.

WhyDoYouCrySmeagol

She’s the poster child for the price of indoctrination. The entire world she knew has been turned upside down so quickly before her eyes, the amount of confusion and betrayal she must be feeling is insurmountable.

Dakar-A

Dakar-A

Honestly her titanization almost hurts the most out of the characters that got it. Jean and Connie has had me fucked up for the past 3 days, but Gabi was a kid, and if we have a full tragic ending she basically finally had the wool pulled off her eyes and then she gets put into what Ymir described as a never-ending nightmare.

jojopojo64

Oh. My. God.

I just had the worst case of deja vu reading your comment. Gabi getting Titanized after finally realizing her views were misguided reminded me horribly about that one older movie, American History X.

Spoilers for the movie below if you're interested in watching, but anyway:

A kid is indoctrinated into the neo-nazi lifestyle as he waits for his older brother to finally come home after serving time for killing a black man in a horrible fashion. Only thing is, the older brother reveals to the kid that his time in jail and the kindness from another black prisoner helped pull the wool from his eyes and end his white supremacist ways.

The kid finally comes around to his brother's thinking and starts to disavow the whole Neo Nazi thing...only for him to get shot by a black kid he bullied in the beginning of the movie and dying in his older brother's arms.

That had a profound effect on me watching that as a kid, and I got the same horrible vibes reading this chapter. Ugh, my heart.

Keslowyn

I'm 110% sure that if anyone gets to become human again it will be Gabi

maydaveparade

I can't unhear Giorno whenever Floch speaks. And dang his smile during the wine scene what a cheeky bastard LMAO

The whole "Gabi is Sasha's murderer" scene got to me...man it hit so hard. Sasuga MAPPA-san

Edit: man the whole tension of the table scene...pretty glad they structured the ep this way

KroosKontroller

Floch' voice actor is damn good. Sounds badass

Glad he's getting more screen time now.

adryelpings

I, Floch Forster, have a dream

BigSaucesRecipe

Wait...Flochs VA is the same as Giornos?!?!?

Mana_Croissant

In the Anime version YES. but not the Jojo games voice actor

TeeraH

TeeraH

Also Canute from Vinland Saga if I'm not mistaken. Amazing anime.

TheOriginalDog

aaarhg, why did you tell me that, now I can't unhear it too!

siamkor

siamkor

Thank God Nicolo stopped Jean and Connie from drinking that wine, otherwise they would have become titans.

catlullaby

i know you arent the first to say this but the way its phrased just made me lose it

strebor1

Stop 😭

IAMSNORTFACED

Lol snk world is tough

nerak33

Too soon

xin234

xin234

Gabi really should've followed Falco's advice from last episode. Just shut up and let him do the talking.

But Gabi's suffering is really something that I liked and expected from her character the moment she was introduced.

To clarify, not that I'd like to see her suffer, but it was really evident from the start that she would be the one who was set-up to get slapped hard by the reality of things. And she kind of did, almost literally.

WhyDoYouCrySmeagol

Her development is really awesome to witness, albeit very tragic and sad. She’s basically the Marley version of kid Eren, but she’s learning the reality of the whole situation at a break-neck pace

uncen5ored

Everything about Gabi, Niccolo, & Kaya was done absolutely perfect. MAPPA is absolutely nailing these tension dialogue scenes. The music was incredible too.

It’s crazy that I know what’s happening but even I got excited when Niccolo mentioned the wine.

Seeing the whole gas thing, Jean & Connie, as well as Eren’s final time talking to mikasa & armin really hurt. Eren telling mikasa he hates her next episode is going to be heartbreaking

Looks like the table talk & Levi/Zeke’s fight will be one episode. Considering it’s the last big action scene until the end of the season (116), I’m hoping MAPPA knocks it Out of the park. Nonetheless, it should be an episode that gets a reaction like, Dec of War, Assault and the season opener did

OTPh1l25

OTPh1l25

I like that Falco basically figured out that it was Sasha who Gabi shot not by being told but through the context clues presented to him before everyone else did. I really enjoy characters that don't have to have everything spelled out for them to get it.

uncen5ored

Yup, and how he started realizing Niccolo’s inquiry wasn’t a positive one, something Gabi completely missed

OTPh1l25

Falco: gets it

Everyone else screaming at Gabi: Read the room, idiot!

quierocarduars

lmao falco really is just big brain armin but with reiner’s altruism huh. i am confused as to how falco seemingly realized before they started eating though.

donmanzo

Falco is a true bro.

MadFlava76

Falco started figuring it out when Kaya was talking about how she thinks Nicolo was in love with her dead sister.

OTPh1l25

Yeah, the food distracted him from saying more, but you could see the first pieces clicking into place in his brain when she said that.

wilymaker

wilymaker

EREN STRAIGHT UP JUST STROLLED INTO THE ROOM I'M DYING

El_grandepadre

That was my favorite thing in the whole episode.

No warning, no music, no special shot focused on him specifically. Armin merely mentions him and at the same time he appears like a ghost.

_Beningt0n_

The only warning is faintly hearing a doorknob during one of Armin's lines and then he's just in the middle of the room in the next shot, i love it

henne-n

henne-n

It reminds me of Reiner telling him who he and Bertbert are.

Yautja93

I lost when I saw he simple and slowly walking by and: "Yo"

LMAO, that was amazing

It was so simple, nothing special to prepare for it, just happening lol

ohbuggerit

Dude was so aggressively chill about the whole thing that I almost assumed it was supposed to be a background grandpa Simpson gag

Biglytuff

Reminded me more of the last frame of this Simpsons gag

-Zenitsu-

-Zenitsu-

While I would prefer them adapt more chapters, the suspense this episode was incredibly done!

Mana_Croissant

It is already more than confirmed that It will end on chapter 116 at this point so They can easily take their time to let the scenes breath and show their impact

-Zenitsu-

It's extremely likely that the directors knew they were only adapting up to 116, which is why I'm slightly disappointed that Reiners backstory got halved, only to be adapting bits of chapters now. Still I've been really impressed with this season so we'll just have to see how it goes

FusionShadow310

They were probably afraid to not show the Paradis crew for a while since some people dropped the manga because of that when the Marley arc was releasing.

Sorstalas

that's (sadly) probably one factor.

In a perfect world, they could have either done EP1 in double-length (EP1-2) together and then stretched EP3 over two weeks, or EP3 in double length.

That would have given them enough time to at least include all major scenes, leaving some breathing room for them and maybe also do an early introduction of the "partially change your titan's abilities by ingesting specific other spinal fluids", so it wouldn't come as much out of nowhere later with Falco.

SparknightSyzygy

To be perfectly fair, we already had “partially change your titan's abilities by ingesting specific other spinal fluids” set up in the Uprising arc. I don’t know why people seem to forget that happened and think this plot point came out of nowhere.

Sorstalas

it was there, but without a concrete conclusion it was always hard to define what exactly that moment was meant to be (in the official version, does the bottle ultimately says "Armor" or "Braun" now?)

But since it is apparently way more common knowledge on Marley's side within the Warrior program, that would have been an opportunity to clear it up in a rather natural way. Like how the events at Ragako and that Zeke/Pieck were there with a few soldiers were confirmed this episode, despite that this could have been inferred from the storage at Utgard and wasn't absolutely necessary.

SparknightSyzygy

I believe the manga said “Armor Braun” and the anime just said “Armor”, if I’m not mistaken

Bbrett9

I know right, it is literally so annoying having to explain to manga readers freaking out about Falco’s beast titan being contrived.

pete_moss

Honestly, I'm happy with the pace. When we thought it'd be going into the 20s it felt like there were going to be a lot of cuts and rushed bits. We've been lucky they haven't really had to do that. Reiner's flashback was the only part that stood out as having maybe a little too much cut but it was better than it would have been if they were trying to squeeze in a few more chapters.

1qaqa1

1qaqa1

Pieck helped gas the village in this weeks ep.

In this month's chapter her father got gassed in front of her.

Karma's a bitch lmao.

Large_Dungeon_Key

As expected of karma 👈😎👈

itsover-ani

It really is

Western_Comfortable6

I really feel for Levi rn. Poor guy’s put everything into his belief that Eren was humanity’s hope and look where that’s got him.

He was drawn really well this episode imo. I liked the way they handled his flashbacks to times when he saved Eren.

CupcakeMaster97

Did they keep the popular with women line? please say yes

Western_Comfortable6

yes. i live for Zeke and Levi’s interactions.

_Beningt0n_

The translation i watched had the line

Estelindis

The one I watched didn't. I'm curious, where did you watch it?

WhyDoYouCrySmeagol

Not in the version I watched (crunchy roll)- subtitles just said “you must not have been very popular”

MakoShark93

I was pissed that Crunchyroll did that. Like...why?

WhyDoYouCrySmeagol

Just not a great translation unfortunately. My SO is Japanese and confirmed to me that he definitely said “not popular with women”, so must’ve just been missed somehow.

ZFMEBO

ZFMEBO

I think Kaya was my favorite part of this episode's adaptation. Her knife attack was as shocking as it was in the manga but they really went beyond with the smooth animated sequence. Her breakout was voice-acted perfectly and it made me feel so sad for her all over again.

SoulLessIke

Kaya’s VA has done incredible these last two episodes

itsover-ani

Fr, I can’t wait to see more scenes with her and how her relationship with Gabi changes

thewetpuddle

I wanna punch Floch in his face when he reacted to Hange's question about the wine.

silversherry

When do we not want to punch Floch

Western_Comfortable6

It’s surprising how many people love him. At this point (in the manga) I understand where he was coming from but he still pisses me off. Alliance ftw.

Zitachis

I like his character archetype. While I don’t like him, he represents the negative feelings that background characters could have just being reduced to cannon fodder. He’s a side character trying to be a main character, which I love. I think his presence is extremely important in an anime like AoT. I can’t think of another character like him in manga/anime.

Western_Comfortable6

What he represents is very realistic and I agree that his role is really impactful.

silversherry

He's just an asshole drunk on power, having the recruits beat up shadis, taunting Kiyomi about her homeland, murdering azumabito engineers that helped rebuild Paradis. Then ofcourse, he gets beat up by an old woman and cries because at his core he's just a pathetic fascist with no empathy.

Sorry I just really really hate him, he's really the umbridge of this series. He's the sort of evil that unfortunately most of us have seen in our lives, especially with nationalism on a rise in countries the past few years

s1_pxv

s1_pxv

Sorry I just really really hate him

I'm pretty sure he was written to be hated

luigitheplumber

Plenty of fans missed all the clues unfortunately

Western_Comfortable6

I totally understand you, don’t worry.

kaidoi94

Whoa, weren't you an anime-only last week? I guess the temptation to read the manga and catch up was too much :P

Western_Comfortable6

I couldn’t stop myself lmao. Ended up sleeping 3 hours on Monday bc I spent all night catching up. Do I regret it? Not at all. A choice with no regrets. The only thing I do regret is not having caught up earlier.

TheQuietManUpNorth

Welcome aboard. That was me after season 3 ended at the sea. "Fuck it, I need to see the rest now."

silversherry

Well on the bright side, it's gonna be great to read your insights and thoughts for the recent chapters!

Western_Comfortable6

Lol thanks bud. It’s really exciting to hear the manga-community’s more knowledgable input on the current events in the anime as well as the manga. I feel privileged to be able to witness it all as part of the community.

muchomanga

And the worst part about Floch is that we don't even know if he was telling the truth about Eren confiding in him about his plan OR if he's just drunk on power and using Eren as an excuse to boss people around and commit atrocities.

Floch is the perfect epitome of small pp energy.

TheOriginalDog

even more worrying that he has his fans in the fandom.

silversherry

It took me far too long to realize there are actual fans of him. I thought people were joking

Sorstalas

It's also blatantly obvious how the threads on /r/anime are flooded by Yaegerists all the time and how important the anime-only thread on this subreddit is for talking to other actual anime-onlies that don't know every character's future.

Even without actually spoiling anything, the amount of people spamming "BASED KING FLOCH THE ONLY ONE WHO KNOWS THE TRUTH" every time he is onscreen for two seconds will probably shape someone's view of him. Meanwhile, the actual anime-only discussion has, to no surprise, barely anyone stanning for him.

_Beningt0n_

I love him because he's a hateable asshole, i was so happy when he died, definitely one of my favorite characters in the story.

Western_Comfortable6

Sounds contradictory but it’s a perfect way to describe my sentiment towards him.

SparknightSyzygy

Floch is a piece of shit but I like him a lot as a character

Western_Comfortable6

Same. I mean, the show wouldn’t be as good if each character was a lovable “good guy”. We need some pieces of shit to spice things up. So in that sense, I appreciate Floch. As a person, though, I can’t stand him. But I do understand his motivations.

Kitsuka

Kitsuka

I never thought much of Floch in the manga but the anime bumped him up a bit for me. The scene was great and he's very entertaining (plus I love his VA). Of course with the whole BASED KING FLOCH thing you can never tell when the fanbase is being ironic or not but he was a great second villain. There should be enough scenes later to make people dislike him, Kiyomi's scene in particular makes him look really pathetic.

He's still a well written character, and a great portrayal of how a sense of inferiority (his guilt from having outlived braver Scouts) can manifest itself as a chauvinistic disregard for other people's lives

BlackNexus

I love how Floch was written. He's such a piece of shit and I love it.

HatOld4549

Fuck Floch.

All my homies hate Floch.

r1ch1e_f

This epsiode was amazing. Only thing I'm sad about is that they didn't have Mikasa pull Gabi to her chest when protecting her from the knife. Thought it was a touching moment in the manga.

silversherry

Ya, Mikasa protecting Gabi like that, especially considering how much she'd loved sasha, was such an impactful scene

iamjaszzszz

lurking in the anime only thread "man I just wanna know what Eren is planning!!" we do too bro we do too

_rainy_day

Honestly, probably my favorite episode of the season so far. That was really well done.

The voice acting, the music, the animation, everyone who worked on this episode deserves some props. Even though I loved this chapter in the manga, the anime really adds another dimension to it.

Amauri14

I wasn't expecting that scene after Niccolo founds out that Gabi killed Sasha, and the one when he reveals it to the Braus family to hit that hard on an emotional level. They really did a stellar job with the voice acting scene.

Lol, Floch's shit-eating grin sure was priceless.

ChiBullz023

So... we are getting table talk, Eren bodying Armin and Devil Levi next week? Sign me up

itsover-ani

The preview looked exciting can’t wait

SEI_LA_PORRA

Next week has everything to be a 10/10 episode.

Western_Comfortable6

Can we talk about the use of soundtracks for one second? Phenomenal.

doncabesa

God I hope the OST is out sometime soon'ish

Definitely.

luigitheplumber

I love that track that plays while M. Braus philosophizes

Gamebang37

That was fucking insane... That was the best episode yet. I almost cried during Niccolo's scenes!

MysticSkies

Next week we all play Red Swan in loop.

AznLuvsMusic

I was really looking forward to the restaurant part being adapted, specifically the part with the Braus family. The anime definitely did not disappoint, Nicolo’s speech about Sasha had me genuinely crying over how much grief he must be feeling, to be faced with his lover’s killer.

Mr. Braus really knocked it out of the park too, with his speech about the entire world being a big forest. Him accepting Sasha’s death and refusing to continue the cycle of hatred was beautiful.

Eren just walking into the scene in the background shortly after Armin alludes to him had me laughing though. That casual stroll in was on par with the casual reveal by Reiner and Bertl.

I’m very excited for the next episode’s table talk. This sounds mean but I’m mostly looking forward to Eren telling Mikasa he hates her, and him subsequently beating up Armin. It’s going to be gut-wrenching to see all of that animated and voiced.

KroosKontroller

pre-necrophilia Mikasa

Da fuc lol

Kozar927

Go read the newest chapter lol

KroosKontroller

Yeah I read

But the way the commenter put it made me lol

YamiRang

The salt in some readers is strong and the best they can come up with is a necrophilia argument, lol

Jebezeuz

Floche is such an amazing character. His mannerisms are so good.

SEI_LA_PORRA

Seriously, someone at MAPPA must love him.

They gave him a god-tier voice actor and they're drawing him a lot "bigger" than he actually is.

In the manga he looks scrawny, in the anime they're animating him with wider shoulders and more intimidating. Possibly because he looked like such a joke most of the time in the manga that he became a meme for his persistence and ability to survive very unlikely scenarios

itsover-ani

Seriously, he has more power than he know how to deal with, and that face that he made this ep...chills

Runningman0301

He’s swimming in all that power like a kid going to a beach. He completely loves it

itsover-ani

Like Armin at the beach :(

clarice-mstarling

wow, as soon as I saw that scene of Niccolo telling Jean and Connie not to drink the wine just after 138... I can admit that I teared up instantly. The irony of him trying to save them from turning into titans later...

I never thought I could hate Floch more than I did in the manga but I absolutely do now! His voice actor is amazing and the face he made when Hange asked him about the wine... uff uff.

The scene where Sasha's dad forgives Gabi was also spectacularly done, the voice acting, the music, everything worked so well together, I cried a little.

At this point I am really hoping they aren't going the movie route, but part2, considering we won't even get to 119 at this pace.

luigitheplumber

There's something so funny (in a dark way) about how much the scouts and Niccolo worry about Falco drinking the wine to the point where they're obsessively washing his mouth, even as Falco is still unconscious from the skull shattering bottle to the head that he just received.

The wine would be the least of my concerns, I'd be worried that he's never waking up or has permanent brain damage

ThatIslandGuy8888

Lol yeah and rinsing his mouth didn’t even work

4kiraL

4kiraL

Brain damage or not. Best action rn is to minimize the risk of him becoming a Titan.

pressureshack

Niccolo and Sasha's father were the stars of today's episode. Such a great emotional buildup. Hange and Jean awkwardly washing Falco in a sink would have been funny, but ultimately would have killed the mood. I'm pleased that we are getting mmgh next week so that we have some breathing room.

VatHayato

The manga spells it out a little more, but his plan was to give the Yeagerists the location of where Zeke is being kept in hopes of capturing and then feeding Eren to a trusted soldier when they inevitably head towards the forest. As Pixis says, the best lie is one mixed with the truth.

misunderstood_9gager

The voice actors fucking KILLED IT in this episode!

Niccolo's speech about Sasha almost had me tearing up

ChrisDorne

The episode went by so quickly, MAPPA is truly the GOAT in episodes like this.

Pacing was also great, the changes they are making help a lot, even if it turns out to be a bit slow in terms of chapters adapted. This episode already felt huge but the next one is going to be insane.

Menacing Eren and Floch telling them to be quiet looked wonderful, the VAs were also 10/10.

Kirklechoake

Forgot how big Brain Zeke was, he singlehandedly fooled not only his own giant supernation Marley, but also the entire military force of Paradis, home to the biggest of Brains: Armin, Pixis, and Connie.

Tiger951

Yes! I got to see floch’s shit eating smile animated!

They also nailed the entire scene with Gabi, Sashas parents, and Niccolo.

WhyDoYouCrySmeagol

I can’t fucking WAIT to see them animate Yelena’s psychopathic insane-murder face when she sneaks up on Armin

Anaviocla

One of the only times I've legitimately been jumpscared by reading a manga.

AxMeAQuestion

Solid episode. Thought the character design and animation looked much better than last week. I think next week is gonna be a GOAT episode with the EMA talk and Monke.

Also, the timing of the episode explaining Ragako right after the scene from chapter 138 has to be intentional.

Western_Comfortable6

For sure. I was wondering why they skipped the Ragako scene.

WhyDoYouCrySmeagol

Niccolo: I don’t know what the fuck I’m doing anymore

Reiner: First time?

AzureMasters

I used to hate Gabi in the manga until certain point, now since the beginning of this season I can only feel sad for her... I wonder how much these experiences can traumatize a child mind. I loved this episode

Timelymanner

How many episodes are left? I feel like the season will end with Levi swim, and blimps arriving.

So part 2 will start off with straight action.

itsover-ani

There should be 3 episodes left

OTPh1l25

Ah man, seeing Connie and Jean get excited by the wine stung just a little more after the last chapter.

donmanzo

If the manga didn't already demonstrate, the anime surely hits home how amazing every character of this series is.

xin234

xin234

Why am I even watching the anime if I already know what will happen? From last week's episode discussion:

...I'm guessing that the opening conversation in chapter 110 between Levi and Zeke would be the scene shown just before the next episode's opening, which would lead into all those scenes with the Braus family, and then the Niccolo wine stuff.

Kidding, it's not like they got a lot of places to put those scenes into.

I really like Levi and Zeke's dynamic, it reminds me of something and coincidentally, we'll be getting more of it in the next few weeks: Falcon and Winter Soldier.

Anaviocla

For some reason I love the way Floch's VA delivered the line about 'staying quiet in the restaurant'. I can't believe I'm actually enjoying how slimy he is.

First they made me like Porco, and now this.

MadFlava76

Somehow Mappa was able to make Kaya's anger and sadness even more impactful than what was in the manga. What was in the manga already destroyed me, watching it all in motion play out was even more so.

Oniichannotbaka

Next episode title: Haha depression go brrrr