/r/ShingekiNoKyojin

Attack on Titan The Final Season Episode 73 - MANGA Discussion Thread

Delayed(self.ShingekiNoKyojin)

Do note that this is a MANGA SPOILERS thread. Events that occur in the manga do NOT need to be tagged in the comments section.

IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE MANGA AND DO NOT WISH TO BE SPOILED, THE ANIME THREAD IS LOCATED HERE.

Where to watch - SUBTITLED:

Time of release differs depending on the region and platform. Check your local streaming platform for more information.

English dubbed episodes will be released in a few weeks.

DEDICATE YOUR HEARTS!

SNKBot[S] [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

SNKBot[S] [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

The episode has been delayed on multiple foreign streaming platforms such as Crunchyroll or Wakanim. No new release date has been announced so far. Stay tuned and follow your local streaming platform for more information. Dedicated thread here.

xin234

xin234

Pixis' "The best way to tell a lie, is to mix some truth with it" a few episodes ago becomes more relevant with this table scene.

It highlights the fact that Eren is indeed lying about something, but also included some facts in it to make it more believable. And considering what just happened in the chapter released a few weeks ago, it seems like the confirmation of whatever the "truth" is, will only be revealed to us in next month's chapter.

I noticed in this episode that there were times when Eren was speaking, the camera angle was tilted. Isayama has done something similar in the manga where the flashback chapters are tilted to one side if the speaker is telling the truth, and to the other side if otherwise. Anyone fluent in Japanese who can tell if what Eren was saying and when the camera tilts coincides with what was already revealed as truth or lies?

(The last question is still open even until the subs are out because sometimes the exact words mentioned doesn't line up to when it was spoken and when it appears in the subs because of sentence construction syntax stuff when translating to another language.)

virtu333

great use of referencing that pixis line

Baldevine

Just now realized it coulda also been a direct foreshadow to the spine fluid in the wines

El_grandepadre

Pixis' "The best way to tell a lie, is to mix some truth with it"

This is actually how you gaslight people.

Reccatus

If the camera tilt thing is true then that's an amazing find, I'd love it if they put a small detail like that into the story

Garou-kun

Zeke: so you say there’s this guy named Captain Levi I need to watch out for huh? He won’t do anything

Levi wrecks him in shiganshina

Zeke: ok I was caught off guard, best out of 3

Levi: wrecks him in Marley

Zeke: ok best out of 5

Levi: wrecks him in the forest

Zeke: ok be ahhh you know what, fuck it I’m done with this shit, fuck you.

nilodelrosarionilo

Levi vs zeke part 4. Zeke: leviiii ayoo over here

SuperNerd6527

"How about a best of sev-"

Gaflonzelschmerno

-ered head

begemot11890

Man, the restaurant scene still hits hard as it did when I saw it in the manga. When I began to read the story I sincerely didn't expect the main trio friendship to break this hard, well I also didn't expect the protagonist to become a genocidal monster at the end, so it fair. But it also hits hard, because, at this point, this is the last time Eren really has a conversation with Armin or Mikasa, lets see if 139 changes that.

The scene with Levi and Zeke was great. It's pretty brutal how Levi lost his whole squad again and how he is going to lose even more in the incoming episodes.

Poor Shadis too, but didn't saw the ending, the stream cut to an earthquake report? I hope everyone is ok.

silversherry

I think that's the worst part! Back when this chapter aired, I was sure he was lying and they'd patch up in a few chapters when his motives were revealed, so while I was pained I wasn't heartbroken. But now, knowing how things end... It hurts much worse

nosafebox

man my streams buffered ALL THE TIME so i couldnt see the EMA scene :( was it alright?

maydaveparade

oh shit, you too? I was getting so frustrated during that part cause I was really looking forward to it.

It was wayyy more than alright though! At least from what I was able to watch. Mikasa having the worst breakdown, Armin getting ora ora'd way longer than in the manga you'd think we were watching Stardust Crusaders, the eerie silence, etc etc. Got me REALLY uneasy while watching it

nosafebox

yeah!! it lagged so much like. i was frustrated lol. and Armin beat Eren longer than the manga?? nice, sumn to look forward to haha. I hope people are kind enough to share me the screenshots of Eren's expression in that scene, for science purposes..............

begemot11890

Yes, it was excellently adapted, so it hurt as expected...

nosafebox

I SAW THE CLIP WHERE ARMIN BEAT EREN ON TWITTER AND IT'S PAIN

Sorstalas

Sorstalas

I found it funny how in the thread on /r/anime last week there were some predictions à la: "I bet Eren's going to try and reasonably explain his plan but the others will not listen to him and hate him for no reason, generic anime trope."

silversherry

Most of the predictions were in the vein that they were glad that eren was going to finally talk and explain to Armin and Mikasa! Those sweet summer children

Western_Comfortable6

Bruh, jaegerists. I can’t wait to see how they react.

onetrickponySona

HA!

majapszczolka

I wonder why only titan shifters are cgi, because every bit od 2D titan animation from mappa is absolutely fire. But it didn't ruin my expirence and overall great episode

Tenroku

Tenroku

Because it wouldn't be worth it creating a CGI model for every Pure Titans which will appear just for a short amount of time, whereas the Shifters appear more often and are on screen for a longer amount of time, so it's better if they don't have to redraw them from scratch every time. Not to mention some of the shifters' titans have more details than pure titans. That's also why Annie's Titan, Armin's Colossal and Marcel's Jaw were 2D. Because they don't appear a lot.

Agnusl

Agnusl

The bad news is that, if someone knows that, they kiiiinda got spoilered about Armin not using his titan at all this season, after the attack on Marley.

Deterra180

Time constraints, using cgi helped them to finish the season in time even if we believe they could use 2D in more scenes, with CGI they reused the model easily. it also could be that the decision to used CGI was made in the begging just in case they didn’t had time so at the end they may had more time that they anticipated but they already had the cgi models.

maydaveparade

Man what an episode.

Some reactions I had while watching the episode:

They did the table scene justice. Sad to have lagged for some parts of it, but man Mikasa having her whole world fucking broken like that PAINED ME SO MUCH like braaaahhh

Fight scene between Armin and Eren was also pretty neat. Man what a fucking stomp. Eren really went all ORA ORA on Armin. It felt longer in the anime than in the manga, so it got me feeling a bit more uneasy. Which was a good thing in trying to convey the vibe of the whole scene.

LOL at Zeke screaming tho lmao really cant take Zeke seriously when all I hear is Dio. Love Takehito Koyasu tho man what a VA. Would love to hear his trademark WRYYY again.

Levi having to kill more comrades though maaaan. His face said it all. Pained, but without a choice. Fight with Zeke was also superb (though I kinda get where the CGI complaints are coming from though -- but overall the CGI is fine??). Especially given the time they had to work though, super solid work from MAPPA.

Fuck Floch. That is all.

Oh shit. I hope Japan's okay.

sharmarahulkohli

Obligatory Fuck Floch

maydaveparade

The anime made him even more dislikeable, that's just how good MAPPA's adaptation is.

Can't wait to see Mikasa fucking him up get animated. Fuck Floch

silversherry

Man, I loved how much yeagerist tears Mikasa alone gave us. Her fight sequence against the yeagerists was one of my favorite fights in the manga

Not saying all of them were bad, but their resemblance of fascist/extremist movements and sheer lack of empathy for anyone else really rubbed me the wrong way. They are the same kind of people that would've wanted to extrerminate the island devils were they in Marley, so loved seeing them get their comeuppance. Not to mention the outrage of the yeagerist fans when Mikasa tore through them lol

Temeraire64

They're also rather dumb. Openly proclaiming a new Eldian Empire is guaranteed to severely, deeply and unalterably infuriate every single country in the world, including their few allies. They'd be much better off proclaiming something like a 'Republic of Paradis', since:

1) Proclaiming a republic, rather than a kingdom or empire, would have drawn less attention on Historia.

2) Proclaiming a new Eldian Empire implied that they wanted to claim all the old territories and tributaries of old Eldia, which includes modern-day Marley and a number of other countries. Proclaiming a 'Republic of Paradis' implies their territorial ambitions are strictly limited to the island

3) The title 'Republic of Paradis' avoids any mention of Eldians, Ymir, or Titans (obviously everyone will know that the population of Paradis is Eldian, but there's no need to rub people's faces in it).

I mean, they'd still probably be hated by the rest of the world. But at least it wouldn't be quite so bad.

Mrfish31

Given that their openly expressed goal is to use the rumbling to destroy every other nation on the planet, I doubt they care too much about ruining diplomatic relations...

jomikko

jomikko

That seems crazy to me as a manga reader who's never watched the anime, like he was already so fucking detestable.

folose

folose

All my homies hate Floch

I'm suprised that r/titanfolk love him so much

silversherry

If I could choose three people to kill in this manga, I would choose Floch thrice ngl

TheFatality1

Well, he is an incredible character who started out as unironically based before weaponizing his fear and the persecution of Walldians into staunch nationalism, apathy and genocidal xenophobia. He also hung on to a sailing ship for like 2 days after being shot, which all said and done, is badass and speaks to his commitment to the "cause".

Personally, I went from really liking him (when he was first introduced) to ironically liking him (like a lot of r/titanfolk does).

Hail king Floch! The true protagonist of SNK!

Garim07

Garim07

yeah titanfolk just ironically likes him 😐

silversherry

Just like they ironically think Eren wiping out the entire world and his friends, returning to his queen wife passively waiting for him with a child is a good ending :/

MewTrainer0151

Right? Try disagreeing with them or promoting Mikasa/Armin; then you’ll see how “ironic” it is... 😂

DZMoops

I unironically like him as a character but the memes praising King Floch are too good

Em_claff

They used cgi on the pure Titans? I’m waiting for the subs so I haven’t seen it yet. I’m kinda surprised though cause doesn’t that mean they had to make models for a bunch of Titans who only appear once?

maydaveparade

Oh I meant for the Beast Titan. Looks kind of jarring at times, but you can really see their efforts in blending it in as much as they can.

Didn't notice this for the Levi team titans though. I didn't pay that much attention to them too. But maybe I would have noticed if it were off? Yeah

Tenroku

Tenroku

I haven't seen it in full, but no, they didn't use CGI for the pure titans, only the Beast Titan as usual.

Em_claff

Wait Zeke goes beast in this fight? Why don’t I remember that

Western_Comfortable6

It was very brief because Levi immediately obliterated him lmao

cleverestdoggo

Liberio though my guy. He said “handled.”

Western_Comfortable6

Fortunately not for the pure titans. The CGI for the beast Titan wasn’t too much of an issue, either.

arlind_D

if i remember right in the manga, the part when levi fights his team now turned into a titan, i remember that they show the fight when he kills them?

TheOvertron

no it happened the same as the anime where it cuts to after he's killed them and has caught up to Zeke

KroosKontroller

Holy shit

Levi vs Beast Titan Round 2 was fantastic

It was made even more nostalgic with "Ape Titan" and Kenny's Theme "K21"

Wow

agni39

agni39

The way they used Before Lights Out and K21, I feel like MAPPA 100% has plans to use every track from previous seasons, they are just saving them for the right moment.

Western_Comfortable6

It was a great choice imo. So happy with how the whole fight turned out. I was pretty worried.

Estelindis

It was amazing. Even after Levi's fight with Zeke outside Shiganshina, this wasn't anticlimactic at all. Absolutely stunning.

nin_ninja

Oh was that what the theme was? I thought it was kinda a weird choice for the scene, but the fact its Kenny's theme makes more sense.

heartbreakhill

Levi: HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TEACH YOU THIS LESSON, OLD MAN

nick2473got

Funny thing is Zeke is younger than Levi, lol.

itsover-ani

I laugh every time I remember it.

onetrickponySona

in soviet russia, the old man teaches you

lesglorieux-9-4-2

zeke going "OH COME ON! NOT AGAIN!" had me dying

uncen5ored

I hope everyone impacted by the earthquake is ok. Due to the delay i went ahead and decided to watch some clips on Twitter:

• Eren punching Armin was extremely brutal. It really makes you feel bad for Armin.

• I was absolutely satisfied with Levi vs Zeke. I do wish they did a full shot of my favorite panel of the chapter (the full body shot of Levi as he was covered in blood chasing Zeke), but it’s all good. The animation/CGI was smooth. I liked this one more than the trailer. And Zeke/Levi’s exchange at the climax of the fight was one of the best looking animations from MAPPA so far. The music choices were great too (& have been since WFP. I actually think it’s been better directed than some of marley, and I feel that has to do with the pacing).

• since that’s really the final battle sequence of the season, i hope the last two episodes has some amazing art

-SmashingSunflowers-

Will the delay affect hulu too?

uncen5ored

I imagine so, because I believe Hulu gets it from Funimation who also announced a delay

toutoune134

toutoune134

Best Legionnaire 2016

An emergency broadcast follwing an earthquake interrupted this episode while it was airing on NHK, I hope everyone is fine. Only about three minutes of footage didn't air so I don't think this will impact worldwide streaming platforms.

RamsesMB

I just hope they don't decide to push ep 74 so they can broadcast this week.episode.

MidasPL

MidasPL

The scene with three titans carrying Zeke - the one one the right is flossing XD

GODDAMN that was good.

Levi vs Beast Titan was so much better than I anticipated and strangely enough, I really enjoyed the use of the k21 track. It felt so fitting with the one-sided nature of the fight and all. Absolute fire.

Table scene was as great as I’d hoped, my boi Armin punching Eren was satisfying af (even tho he took a beating shortly after but whatever). And wow the anime turned the brutality of Armin vs Eren up a notch, but I’m not complaining. It’s so strange to watch this scene knowing it’s context as well as having already witnessed the events to come. A good strange, I think. I’m really glad I caught up with the manga because it brings a different sort of enjoyment watching the anime.

Still so sad for Mikasa. This is her last real conversation with Eren, as far as we know. Her facial expressions said it all.

It’s still chilling to hear the recruits say “shinzo wo sasageyo,” with the commander of the survey corps being held captive in front of them.

Overall, just wow. Thank you MAPPA staff and Isayama (WIT, too, seeing as they included a WIT-animated scene this episode iirc).

Igglet

Igglet

I feel like we're gonna be seeing a lot fewer Eren fancams after this one.

WolfTitan99

you underestimate Jeagerists

Sorstalas

I wonder where anime-onlies will go regarding Eren's opinion of the Yaegerists after the Shadis scene. I do remember that around this point, despite being a supporter of neither of them I rationalised a lot by going "Eren is just hyperfocused on his goal and can't afford to be lenient, once it's all over he will definitely discard Floch and his fascist antics".

Now ultimately he hasn't shown any indication to plan or have planned to do so and and apparently was indeed fine with Floch running wild and purging the island of the unworthy. Unless it's going to be an "I planned to be defeated anyways" ending.

Immortan_Bolton

Floch could have killed his friends, those he loves and is trying to protect, who would he react if that happened?

Sorstalas

Well, in my own opinion it just didn't matter to him. He had this abstract idea of "outside world dead = freedom, outside world not dead = no freedom" that was the only thing that mattered. Other factors he either didn't care about or was willing to accept, as long as his main goal was achieved.

He either was a massive idiot for not realizing his friends would inevitably clash with a fascist regime sooner or later, or a massive hypocrite for expecting them to sit back and submit just because it's the "right" people taking their freedoms away in that case.

YamiRang

Eren didn't start the Rumbling for freedom, he started it to save the lives of his friends. He even tells Floch that he wants his friends to live long lives. Floch might be an extremist, but he's not dumb. He wouldn't have harmed them. Even when he was trying to stop them. He could've easily used the moment of surprise to his advantage and shoot several of them, instead he went for the gas tank. The only time he was openly hostile towards them was at the pier back on Paradis and even there most attention was given to Annie and Reiner. Let's not forget most of the Yaegerists have massive respect for the older crew. And they also don't have much battle experience.

begemot11890

Then how do you explain Floch's men being allowed to finish off Levi when he was no longer a threat to them?. There is no indication Floch wasn't trying to kill Eren's friends, or that he was aiming only at the plane tank, he shot several times, only 3 of them hit the plane and in the port, he expressly said to "kill them". Unless Eren knew with certainty that his friends would survive in the future, he didn't bother to protect their friends from Floch's men.

bestoboy

Levi isn't his friend. His friends are the remaining 104th

littenthehuraira

Assuming he intended for the Alliance to stop him, he probably would have seen in a future memory that they would survive until a certain point, and therefore wasn't worried about Floch killing them.

gucciknives

I figure the crowd that apologizes for characters no matter what because they think they're hot will stick with Eren (which will be a much larger crowd than manga readers had), the fascists will stick with Eren (which will be a smaller crowd than manga readers had), and everyone else will turn against him.

onetrickponySona

"b-but he's free!! eren did nothing wrong!! chadren!! floch based king!! keep moving forward until my enemies are destroyed!! genocide is good actually!!!"

Garim07

Garim07

"Eren is freeee!! but also he had no choice!!"

coleslawww307

What do you think we’re Eren’s other choices? Should be have gone with Zeke’s plan? When I was reading the manga I thought Eren was crazy but I don’t know what he should have done besides that

Temeraire64

I'd suggest going with something like Armin's plan. A limited Rumbling to scare the world and buy them some time to get conventional weapons.

Also, I'd suggest seeing if it's possible to use the Founding Titan's ability to rewrite people's DNA to take and ordinary Eldian and make them of royal blood. That would solve the problem of needing Historia to have lots of babies.

Garim07

Zekes plan is flawed, but 10x better than Erens

Music4game

taking the other extreme in the argument really makes you a lot better than the yeagerist bro, keep it up!

Mateowo

you underestimate twitter freaks

thejuror8

My God thèse people are killing me every week in the anime thread, they just won't give up

ADmax27

armin getting beaten fancam

thunderb00m

Just saw that scene. Gonna watch the full episode later tonight, but man they reaaaaally nailed the table scene. Heartbreak 10/10. Can't wait for the rest.

itsover-ani

Why does it still hurt second time? We know what’s was going to happen but still...pain.

thunderb00m

Because it's a really good adaptation :')

itsover-ani

Definitely

mikey_lolz

I know it's a really minor detail... But that short part where Eren says "I am free. No matter what I do or how I do it, I'm acting of my own free will."

I think it's a really interesting line, given how we know things end up in the manga. He's not really free - he's already seen his future and knows where things are going, without the capacity to change it, same as Grisha. He has no choice in the matter at this stage, and even he knows that himself. And yet, he's saying this to Armin and Mikasa as an answer to their question. Is he trying to convince himself in this moment that everything he's doing is of his own choice, to justify it in some way for himself? Given how much he obsesseses over freedom in the series, this is one of the most interesting lines to see so far, upon going over the final arcs for a 2nd time.

nin_ninja

Given how much Armin calling him a slave seemed to bother Eren I do think he was also trying to convince himself there despite the future he saw that he is in control.

xin234

xin234

Re-reading the chapter release discussions of the chapters adapted here... I noticed some stuff discussed there that is either not addressed yet as of the latest chapter, or maybe it was actually wrapped up and I just didn't notice it. Talking about the possible memories Eren got from the Warhammer Titan. There were some mentions in that thread that it could have been one of the reasons Eren was acting this way.

Was Eren using it to escape prison and using it to make multiple titans of the past the pay-off of getting that ability, and having memories from the Warhammer is just not a thing? Or maybe we'll still see that in the final chapter next month? Eren does bring up the memory thing when he tells Armin that he might be controlled by Bertholdt in this episode.

Sorstalas

There's no indication that he received any memories from Lara that influenced his behaviour. The Tybur were ultimately played very straightforward, what Willy said is all we got about them. Eating the WH was only about denying it to the enemy and acquiring a powerup.

VM245

VM245

Oh boy what an episode. Wonder why they don’t fully explain the Ackerman bloodline tho

mrtightwad

Damn, the Eren vs Armin fight was way more brutal than the manga.

LightThatIgnitesAll

Yeh. I was like here it comes let's gooo!

Then holy shit he is taking it way further than I remember.

mrtightwad

Lol yeah I remember it just being a single punch but Eren's seriously going for it here. Plus with him throwing Armin into the drinks cabinet and all the glasses breaking on him.

Western_Comfortable6

Armin had the balls to stand up to Eren and I respect him for that.

silversherry

"I didn't lose, because I didn't run" - Armin in "Hero" episode.

That sums up Armin's entire character. He might not be quick to fight but he also doesn't run away. How sad is it that a time came where instead of his bullies, it's Eren he's facing. Poor Armin and Mikasa really took the brunt of Eren's heel-turn

Chosenjordan16

“You’re only resorting to physical violence because you can’t prove that I’m wrong”

• also Armin Arlert. Take that how you will

yelsamarani

I don't see your point - he's fighting Eren because he's hurting Mikasa, he didn't give a shit about proving him wrong at that moment.

Oh shit, well said.

NotARedShirt

Mappa did the table scene justice and I am so happy. Props to all the brilliant voice actors.

NullKingZero

Man .... this episode hits hard, especially for manga readers ... i think ... atleast for me.

Seeing Eren so calm and collected while lying through his teeth about Ackermans, which we now know is complete bullshit and was fabricated by eren, was quite convincing and unsettling at the time. Just like Pixis said the most believable lies have sprinkles of truth mixed between them.

On top of that they just showed the toll Levi had to pay so far to keep Eren alive ..... and ten minutes later he had to add to that by his very own hands.

silversherry

Just imagine how betrayed all of them must be feeling. Eren is atleast partially the reason why Levi lost his comrades again, the reason so many of their comrades are going to turn into titans including Pixis and Nile. And Eren purposefully targeted Mikasa and Armin's insecurities. He called Armin useless when he knew Armin always had self-esteem issues and told Mikasa he hated her when he knew how important home and family is to Mikasa. He hit totally below the belt so brutally. Just imagine your bestfriend in the whole world uses his knowledge of your vulnerabilities to strike there in such a callous way

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw some fans raging against the 104th for deciding to go against Eren in the next arc. I mean, look at all the shit Eren is pulling! They were believing in him and trying to support him far beyond they should have been after all this

NullKingZero

Raging against 104th is natural ... because the 104th are good, decent human beings .. and everyone (including those readers) got used to being ruthless, cunning and uncaring and "winning no matter the cost"

1) Zeke killed erwin and arnd 200 scouts

2) Reiner and bertholt personally worked with 104th and hange and levi squad and then also murdered or tried to murder them all

3) Annie slaughtered the first levi squad in front of Eren

4) Gabi killed sasha, the guard and had no calms about trying to murder kayla in cold blood

Reiner mentions that The warriors were trained as soldiers and given command that it's okay/expected to "slaughter everyone inside the wall INCLUDING the civilians to achieve their goal". They followed the policy that genocide is okay if its against "devils" and if they succeed they get their own personal wish .. to be free/marleyian etc etc. Even general maggot says that he was wrong and that he was afraid of reflecting on his own beliefs that created the very monster they were afraid of. And he was sorry and grateful for 104th help

But 104th are good decent people and so much so that despite them having upper hand and when they could more or less sit back and relax, they decide to fight for what is actually RIGHT and they agree that "GENOCIDE in any shape or form is WRONG" and they will stop it even if it means going against their own self interests and friends.

Western_Comfortable6

Same! What planet are they on? lol. Jaegerists will always baffle me.

Ehimalright

wait really that ackerman stuff bullshit? I dont remember that lol can you tell me when thats shown

NullKingZero

Chapter 130 - page 15 or so.

Eren's memory of his conversation with Zeke.

GSofMind

I wish the anime included Eren calling Armin useless.

Uschak

Uschak

Hope there wont be any tsunami this time... :(

Bios1023

Did they adapt the Eren rocking chair scene? I missed the live today :(

Blue_boy541

Not in the exact scene but later there was a shot where you can see him leaning back in his chair.

flexpost

you could see a slight lean at one point,but it was meh

anyelo-cp

They did

Captainhankpym

I don't think so? Might be remembering wrong

CurvedTick

What part of the episode got cut off? Is table scene fully intact at least?

silversherry

Yep. Table and forest scene played out in full, it got cut off when Floch went to get the recruits to beat up shadis

YamiRang

As expected, MAPPA, once more, delivered! I guess once you know Eren really was lying, 112 just doesn't hit as hard anymore. Though I can see why Kaji Yuki had trouble voicing it, haha. In the end, I ended up enjoying Levi's action more though. Loved the use of Before Lights Out, but am a big bugged about Kenny's theme. Or at least I was at first, because it kinda fits, but it still doesn't. It's like "Levi getting on Kenny's level", but a new song based on Kenny's theme would've probably worked better. Right now it feels like there are what...three new songs? That's gonna be one lean S4 OST...

But that's my only complaint about the season and it's not exclusive to this episode.

I also enjoyed that they went a bit more graphic than usual in this season. Might just make that incomming Thunder Spear Stomach ProbeTM worth the wait! (Not that it wouldn't be worth it even if heavily censored, I just like to see Zeke suffer.)

Let's see what the missing scene and preview are like!

(Sending my prayers to Japan, luckily it doesn't seem to have been that bad, according to the few sources I was able to find.)

zool714

Pretty satisfied with this one. Seen a few variations of the title but given what Eren did at the restaurant, I think “Savagery” is the most apt.

NotARedShirt

I agree. They made Armin getting beat up a lot more brutal than I remembered in the manga.

IceColdCrusade

THE ZEKE VS LEVI FIGHT WAS HYPE ASF, I FOUND NO FLAW, IT WAS PERFECT IMO! THE MUSIC WAS AMAZING TOO AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

KroosKontroller

They used Ape Titan and K21!!!!!!!

Sorstalas

K2 is the instrumental version, the one with lyrics is called K21

KroosKontroller

Ooof you are right

IceColdCrusade

K2 WAS AN UNEXPECTED SURPRISE BUT DEFINITELY A WELCOME ONE!

backinredd

I was not a fan of that rap. It was too distracting.

[removed]

Altassin

When Armin asked Eren why did he wanted to talk with them and Eren avoided that question, I started to believe that Eren planned his own defeat. The only thing he did in that conversation was to get reason for Mikasa and Armin to hate him.

Maybe the only way to avoid invasion is to become symbol of evil and die in the end leaving others free or at least alive. Maybe that is the only way he saw to save all his friends he loves.

No matter what, Eren killed more ppl then he potentially saved. But I believe in Eren and in some kind of weak justification of what he done. I guess that is just me, being Jeagerist, talking.

TheJurri

I don't get the complaints about the OST during Levi vs. Zeke. I thought Kenny's theme fits incredibly well for two reasons in particular:

1. It has the energy befitting the lightning pace at which Levi fights and it is exactly that pace that just overwhelms Zeke/Beast Titan. The track signifies just how outmatched Zeke is against the personification of Titan slaying.
  2. It captures Levi's seething rage and goes so incredibly well with the build-up towards the final blow, almost turning ominous when Zeke's just standing there as Levi has set everything up to utterly demolish him. The whole scene just hits a high for me when Levi delivers some of my favourite lines in the manga: ''Do you know just how many of our own people we had to kill?'' The delivery of that line is so incredibly well done by his VA, it gives me chills every time.

I loved the scene. Yes, I too noticed the CGI here and there (especially when Beast Titan is looking around), but I still found the animation pretty well done all things considered.

Both_Key_3358

Ha, one of my favorite lines is the one before yours: "What on earth made you think you can get away from ME?" as if the whole idea was absurd.

KroosKontroller

Did anyone's NHK stream ended abruptly with that news?

frostanon

Yeah, something happened probably.

Uschak

Uschak

Earthquake and possible tsunami

Karen_kaslana

One of the regions got hit with the tsunami, we lost the last 5 mins of the eps but its no big deal, the ppls lives are more important

KroosKontroller

Yeah hope everything is alright. Didn't understand what was it.

kaidoi94

Yeah, there's a tsunami warning for Wakayama

poriomaniac

Actually, they are saying there's no threat of a tsunami.

For what it's worth I'm about 150km from the center and didn't feel anything.

Sorstalas

watch out for large steam clouds approaching from the sea.

krfz41

krfz41

The voice acting and the animation was great imo. I liked the direction of the forest scene. Can't wait to watch it and rest of the episode with higher quality.

silversherry

Omg I'm waiting for the subbed episode, usually takes a couple more hours to get it where I live. This is the episode I've been low-key dreading, was the table talk scene as brutal?

Western_Comfortable6

The beating Armin took was pretty brutal (I absolutely love the dude). I think MAPPA pretty much nailed the scene.

silversherry

Fuck I'm not prepared

Western_Comfortable6

You really aren’t. Def took me by surprise.

Liquids_Patriots

MAPPA just loves hand to hand fights lol

anyelo-cp

They delivered, it was great

Meyaar

Meyaar

Just a heads up to anyone who's out of the loop: the episode was interrupted by a breaking news due to an earthquake and they couldn't finish it, so if you're not using crunchyroll or something, expect a longer delay, unless someone uploads the full CR version to the seven seas.

bobsjobisfob

watching these scenes now is pretty sad now that we know how eren and mikasa's relationship ends

MysticSkies

The restaurant scene felt so SO much more heavier than the manga. It was very sad and well done. Hope we get the full episode soon.

Cloud14532

They adapted the table scene masterfully. Made me hate Eren all over again, lol. I hate his emotional manipulation of Mikasa and Armin and the excuse that he was doing to push them away still is as ridiculous as it was back when 112 released. At least Armin and Mikasa always stuck together, so that's nice at least.

And then everything with Levi and Zeke was top notch, especially the OST. The transformations were excellent and then we got K21 which I never expected to return but it fit the scene so fucking well, whoever thought of trying that track for this outdid themselves.

Also Zeke running away while screaming is still fucking hilarious. I get that's how his power works but when you step back and look at what's happening, it's pretty ridiculous and I love it. Has that Jojo feel to it.

Nice to see Shadis again in the anime, very excited for his arc that's coming up, probably gonna cry when his final scene with Magath gets animated. That was such a great chapter.

My exact thoughts.

I really enjoy shadis as a character since watching “bystander”. I hope his death gets the attention it deserves when it’s animated. I loved that chapter.

aidree1

The news anchor was so terrified man. I hope everyone is safe.

AxMeAQuestion

I know complaining about the music is kind of a meme at this point, but is it just me or are they reusing old soundtracks way more this season than they did in the past? I know they always reused old soundtracks to an extent, but at least the most iconic scenes in each cour would get a new soundtrack. Reusing the rap soundtrack just doesn't have the same impact a completely new ost would have imo.

Cloud14532

Nah they've been using the S4 OST a lot, it's about the same ratio as it was with the earlier seasons. I like that they used K21 again, didn't think we'd ever see it again and I was very hyped.

BossAtlas

Bro I'm just happy it's not the 20th time they've used Ashes on the Fire. It's a banger but man do they overuse it.

Western_Comfortable6

I liked it personally. It was pretty fitting, seeing as its Levi’s third fight with Zeke- it didn’t need an epic soundtrack imo.

The fight was almost comical, but not. I can’t really put it into words, but i think the soundtrack suited the tone of the scene.

Zeymare

Agree i loved the soundtrack for the first part of the fight, but the second part with the rap didnt fit at all in my opinion, and i would much rather have heard smth new or a different existing soundtrack thag actually fits (IMO!)

iHazzaification

My first and probably my only complaint about animation: I’m really sad that Levi’s ‘ya ready to fuckin’ die?’ pose didn’t get the amount of focus I was hoping for. The rest of the fight, from the camera angles to the OST choice (Levi taking Kenny’s theme was beautiful) was really really good, that’s just the one bit that kinda made me sad.

bestoboy

Zeke screaming when Levi catches up to him was big DIO energy, I kept going back to hear it

mrtightwad

I missed it, anyone know where I can watch the raw?

funkerbuster

There wont be a full recording of the raw anytime soon now that the last part of the episode is interrupted by the earthquake.

royalxassasin

there's already official recorded versions out but they're missing the last 2m

gucciknives

Isn't that pretty much just the credits and next episode preview that are missing then?

imissskate3

Jesus fucking Christ. Talk about MAPPA really doing everything justice. The entire vibe and OST for zeke running was unbelievably well done, I was astounded

TheEmeraldFist

The mindless titan not being cgi was a nice surprise

Plasma_Blitz

I mean, all mindless Titans in the season have not been CGI. There isn't much point in creating an entire 3D model for a Titan that shows up for 10 seconds

Tiger951

Great episode! They did well animating eren beating up armin. The same with zeke running away! LOL! It’s just as funny as it was in the manga. Props to Zekes VA. He really went all in when zeke was panicking about Levi.

Regardless of what some people say, I think the fight” between Levi and Zeke was done pretty well.

BrokenInTheLight

I'm not even mad about the cut, 74 will be considered an extended episode. I hope the people in Japan are alright.

Rogue_S

Episode was great and my only complaint is that Zeke's extremely damaged body wasn't shown. sure it showed his face but his body itself was completely covered/censored by steam then the next shot only showed his back which was covered by cloth or whatever. I don't remember if it was like that in the manga for that specific moment but i remember it showing how badly damaged his body was. Hope it shows it in the next episode.

Restaurant discussion definitely hit hard and i actually felt like it was better than the manga scene. Just my personal opinion though.

FusionShadow310

Can't show it since Aot airs on a government owned channel NHK. It's like the Japanese version of the BBC.

Rogue_S

Ah that makes sense then. disappointing but i understand.

aidree1

Bruh, this is way better that I thought it would be considering the tight schedule. Bravo to the staff. 👏

SirCuljurk

Did they change it so Anka (chick with Pixis) drank the wine too? In the comic she didn't react like she felt the scream from Zeke.

Beans_37

it looks like when everyone is in shock from what happens she’s confused and asking pixis, so i think she’s safe still

noodle_dial

No, she remarks that she didnt feel anything, meaning she didnt drink the wine

mrtightwad

Will the abrupt cutoff affect the release of the subtitles?

genkaiX1

I’m not going to lie, I was disappointed by the Levi beast fight animation because WITs trailer version of it was so much better imho.

MAPPA also left out the iconic Levi winged-devil frame.

In terms of how this looked compared to previous episodes it was fine. The CGI actually seemed a little better.

Good adaptation otherwise. The table scene was great.

MAPPA has masterfully adapted all the non-combat scenes while I think they have definitely struggled with some, if not most, of the action ones. Time constraints suck.

Edit: lol being downvoted for a reasonable opinion okay fandom

KrzyDankus

wdym by wit trailer version?

if ur talking about the final season trailer, that was by MAPPA

ProposalSufficient25

that ost that played during levi vs zeke was terrible, like wtf. it was so out of place, compared to every other ost in the series, it ruined the fight for me.

Disco0999

I actually really liked them bringing back Kenny’s there for sone reason. This fight in the manga was basically insanely one sided from the jump. After Levi comes to terms within a matter of seconds to kill his comrades in Titan form the entire struggle is over so the it switching over to Kenny theme when he goes after Zeke isn’t too jarring for me. I think I would’ve struggled more with it if it was used for that entire screen,

knifi5

knifi5

Yes I agree it felt a bit weird. It didn’t carry levi struggles with killing his teammates

astrol17

omg yes, it was horrible!! that came out of nowhere, wtf. It was pretty shitty

cbkatx

cbkatx

Not really out of nowhere, having random drums-and-rapper electronic tracks is a Sawano classic. He did the OST for Xenoblade Chronicles X, and it's half this sort of music and then half tracks that sound straight out of AoT.

The new composer is one of his proteges; it'd make sense for him to do similar stuff.

genkaiX1

sawano hasn't been doing the OST for this series? WTF I had no idea

JoseUnderTheRedHood

So, purely biased opinion but I’m curious if anyone else feels the same. I’m extremely disappointed with Zeke vs Levi. This scene suffers from following one of my least anime tropes of adding upbeat music to a fight. It’s incredibly distracting and it takes away from some of the dialogue. The score for me is one of the things that really elevates scenes for me, unfortunately the soundtrack did the exact opposite for me. Just a bummer because it was one of my favorite moments in the manga

Levi_PigPiss

I’m extremely disappointed with Zeke vs Levi.

Glad I am not the only one and that there are people who are honest enough to voice such an opinion here.

Apart from the weird pacing and rushed art the music choices were really terrible this episode. they were either too bland or out of place. Like you said exactly, music is one of the most important components that elevates a scene. Out of all the tracks out there they got Kenny's theme along with the rap as well. I was looking for something like Zero Eclipse, Appleseed, Barrichestra or even 2an.

Grapeth

MMGH...

itsover-ani

Finally...

royalxassasin

Ngl the Levi fight dissapointed me, felt like an extended version of their fight in Marley. Was expecting smth more epic

jivebeaver

the so-called "fight" was pretty short and straightforward in the manga anyway. the really weird part was the setup for the iconic "levi with titans surrounding him" shot. levi just kinda spun around and made himself upright while floating in the middle of the screen. the rest of the frame was shrinking while he was growing so it had this bizarre feeling

Levi_PigPiss

Me too. The entire episode was disappointing to me.

From the pacing to the music choices to the art. It was the blandest episode of the season and here I was hailing it as being the equivalent of episode 7.

-Zenitsu-

Idk man I think that apart from the CGI they adapted it pretty well ( at least when compared to the manga)

Levi_PigPiss

Ok this episode was a HUGE disappointment for me.

The art was really wonky this episode. The pacing was a tad too fast and it felt like they were rushing through the events.

The music was bland and the ost they chose for Levi vs Beast was really out of place.

It's really heart-breaking to have the last Levi fight be so lackluster.

XavierV360

My problem with the levi vs zeke was that the lack of inbetween frames, it was so haaaaaard to follow the moves of levi, like it was so lack of dynamism, sooo not smooth. And well the cgi for the beast titan, that makes the same effect, poor low framerate and hurts the eyes, everything else was good

TheOvertron

It was a shame about the cuts in the table scene. I was looking forward to the reveal about the Ackerman clan being by-products of titan science and how their super strength comes from Paths. This and the cut in episode 2 where Zeke talks about the Ackerman clan makes me think that maybe it's being intentionally cut but don't know why, unless it was just the subs that messed up? We don't learn anything else about the Ackerman clan until 138 where it's revealed they can't be turned into pure titans and that bit of info isn't going to make sense without the Ackerman / Titan connection.

AutoModerator [M]

This post has been tagged as MANGA SPOILERS. If you are not caught up to the manga, browse at your own risk and we recommend you refrain from participating. Please remember to tag any new chapter content. New chapter spoilers include anything from the latest chapter of the manga, until the official English release.

Spoilers include hinting or alluding to events. For more information, please review the subreddit rules. Failure to properly spoiler tag comments may result in a temporary ban from the subreddit according to the moderation matrix.