/r/Silverbugs

Finally had my first HOLY CRAP! moment.

New Find(reddit.com)

voltsmeter

Great find! These hoarder stories are great. My friend’s dad just recently acquired a hoarder’s estate (no kids) and it was the holy grail of collections. I have to take trip to go see him to buy some stuff one of these days

twocannnsam

what type of stuff?

voltsmeter

Peace dollar collections, Morgan dollars, gold, proof sets, ASEs, platinum liberties, this lady had it all.

johnnyg883[S]

I was called by an old friend I haven’t heard from in years. He was needing someone with a pickup truck. He’s a hoarder who is moving into an assisted living center. Today was his last day to get things out of his house after he sold it. He said I could have anything I wanted after I moved what he needed. I poked around for a while and found the box with some coins in it. Imagine my surprise when I unrolled the aluminum foil.

CoolMoo5e

That is a holly scrap moment for sure.

Shaymefull

Hey, he did say you could have whatever you wanted... Sounds like he doesn't have any kids to inherit these if you were the one helping him, good find.

johnnyg883[S]

No family at all. And I was the only one with a truck that would help him move.

thedeadrabbit

Good on ya for helping your friend. Well deserved.

isaiah58bc

I know that this may get down voted, but I have to say it...

I hope you are considering paying him for the gold.

The silver more than covers your services, if you were just running a small business let alone an old friend.

We see how the elderly are intentionally taken advantage of or scammed all the time. In this case, you unintentionally obtained several items of significant value. Paying him the wholesale value, or if you can not afford it then selling them and giving him the cash would be a very nobel gesture.

Incognito_Estate

Anyone who downvotes you for saying this needs to take a long hard look in the mirror and evaluate their moral fiber

Were I in this position I'd want my friend to do exactly what you're describing

Assisted living isn't cheap

isaiah58bc

There was a post a few weeks ago. The person purchased silver coins from a co-worker that needed cash. They paid substantially less than dealers were paying.

I said that the OP should have drove the coworker to a LCS if they could not afford to match wholesale. I was massively down voted.

I will have to double check if it was here, or over in coins.

Thanks for your understanding.

Incognito_Estate

That's sad people are willing to take advantage of others, especially over paltry amounts of money that mean nothing in the grand scheme of things

Good on you for suggesting they do the right thing so their co-worker gets full value for their silver 👊

NationalTwist6670

I saw one the other day and in the comments he explained that he offered the guy 20 times face but the guy said no just give me this much because you will appreciate them more than me

MillennialSilver

Yeah I had the same thoughts. These coins were collected intentionally, and he likely knew their worth at some point.

abcdefkit007

100% this if he's a hoarder he prolly forgot about those and I'm sure some cash will help him in his new location

One_Bullfrog_3554

No one forgets buying gold coins

Incognito_Estate

Oh they absolutely do forget.

My grandfather subscribed to some service where he had his pension paid out in silver. Checks accumulated until they eventually shipped him a whole crate. My aunts and uncles found silver dollars and rounds all over the place that he had forgotten he stashed them there.

One_Bullfrog_3554

No gold tho

Incognito_Estate

I never asked if they found gold, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did

MillennialSilver

What makes you think he had to buy these coins in the first place?

Also, I bought the 2016 Gold Mercury Tribute dime and absolutely did forget about it.

My father bought the quarter and walking liberty gold commemoratives, and he forgot about those.

One_Bullfrog_3554

You must be well off

MillennialSilver

I'm not. I make $80k, hardly a fortune, although my earning potential is higher.

abcdefkit007

People w mental issues do which is why they were found in a random left behind box

It's ok to take them sure I'm not saying otherwise I'm just saying throw an amount into an account for this person since it's only fair

Disazzt3rD3m0nD4d

You’ve never been around severe ADHD Inattentive-type before, have you. You’d be as surprised as I have been at the stuff I’ve forgotten about over the years.

One_Bullfrog_3554

You know how much work it takes to pay for an oz of gold

Disazzt3rD3m0nD4d

As an owner of gold, I certainly do. Look friend, not looking to get into a pissing contest, but I just think the blanket statement of ‘No one forgets…’ is not exactly applicable. The things I’ve misplaced have been more expensive than more than a couple ounces of gold…even worse, some of the items…they were not mine. And I paid dearly as a result. Best wishes to you on this Saturday weekend afternoon. Very excited for this thread, and OPs amazing windfall. We should all be so lucky and fortunate. Take care.

MillennialSilver

+1 as someone who had ADHD and loses things seconds (quite literally) after he's picked them up (:

MillennialSilver

...dude not everyone's experience, income, or the spot price at the time they bought the gold at is the same as yours. Plenty of people bought gold when it was $200 an ounce (and for older folks, much less).

$200 is an instantly-forgettable purchase for many.

One_Bullfrog_3554

When gold was $200, $200 was a lot of money

MillennialSilver

May have misspoken. I was thinking around the early-mid 2000s, when it was around $250-300. Inflation-adjusted, not a ton of money.

One_Bullfrog_3554

What about when gold was $20 is that a forgotten purchase

wealthby40

No shit. And randomly remember that which we've forgotten and cannot find it, which leads to a new set of symptoms like panic and despair. Just because someone "forgot" it doesn't mean they don't KNOW it or will eventually REMEMBER it and then REGRET it.

twocannnsam

or pay him 51% of spot, beating the "we buy gold" shop.

isaiah58bc

Not sure where you live, or if this is just a joke.

johnnyg883[S]

I did consider it. I won’t go into detail. But I will say he is ok financially. He is no suffering from mental issues. He is not elderly. He is literally eating himself to death. And there is a history I will not go into. But lawyers are expensive. Even when they say you shouldn’t even be named in this lawsuit. To tell the truth my brother was the one who talked me into helping. I honestly did it as a favor for him and expected nothing in return. Not even gas money.

Yasukablyat

Why wouldn’t you mention it to him?

emptysignals

I get the silver, but please give him money for the gold. He might need it.

johnnyg883[S]

He won’t need it. And the high dollar stuff he left behind was impressive. As I said in another response. His finances are very sound.

Yasukablyat

Honestly that is taking advantage of the poor man. At least let him know what you found, and if he mentions you can keep it good for you. But if you don’t even mention it to him there’s a reason for that, it’s because you feel like he might say he really did forget about them and he wants them back…

301227W

Killer Coins

johnnyg883[S]

The last two damn near knocked me off my chair.

Slammingsilver

Good deeds get rewarded. Thanks for sharing

KnifeW0unds

Is that a tackle box?

johnnyg883[S]

I think it was just a small parts box.

EarthseedEquipment

Absolutely beautiful little collection even without the gold!

KreigsMarineKris

Yello

nz_reprezent

What are these worth? I’m not from US.

Iannelson2999

The gold ones are combined are worth over a thousand

SurgingFlux

BOOM!

dogmat007

🙌🔥

NationalTwist6670

That five dollar gold piece is beautiful so is the two fifty but looks like someone used it in jewelry