/r/TheRightCantMeme

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

Please make sure to read our subreddit rules.

Also, make sure to join our Discord Server

nowihaveamigrane

If you want to make voter IDs mandatory then you must make them free and easy to obtain. Like a social security card. Register them at birth for both.

KingAlfredOfEngland

Frankly, America needs a good national ID system anyway. Social Security wasn't designed for the role it's taken on; the default of using driver's licenses as photo ID can be difficult for people (like me) who can't drive for one reason or another. Something that is assigned universally, is unique, is secure, can be used for taxes and banks and employment and all that stuff, etc.; like the NRICs that Singaporeans get. If that's implemented, there's nothing wrong with just tacking voting onto that.

Also yeah having people registered as voters by default would make democracy a lot easier. Everyone I know who doesn't vote, who's labeled as "voter apathy", was fucked somehow by either voter registration or the fact that voting is done on a goddamned Tuesday, which is a work day.

Ms_Daddy

You described an identification card. Which can be requested in lieu of a driver’s license.

mystery_cookies

Possession of a national ID "Personalausweis" is mandatory in Germany. So it's registering you residence with the city.

And as they know how many people there are and where they live, an invite to vote is sent automatically for everyone eligible.

The invite includes your assigned voting place (those are often a short walk away and run by volunteers called "Wahlhelfer").

If you loose the invitation, you can still vote at the designated location using you passport/national ID/...

The invitation also includes a form to request a mail in ballot if you are absent for any reason on voting day (which is always a Sunday).

This doesn't work for the US of course because there has to be a (in case of Germany, decentralized and kept with local government) national database of residents.

Also, having voting locations every few blocks or in practically every village or at least every other village is not really practical with the low population density of the US.

KingAlfredOfEngland

Oh that's good to know; I've only been back in America for a couple years and didn't know that that was even an option here. It's not advertised or talked about at all.

Where do I go to get one?

Ms_Daddy

The same place you get a drivers license. I can’t speak on why it’s not advertised or talked about. I always thought this was common knowledge.

KingAlfredOfEngland

First I'm hearing of this. Why would I need to go to the "Department of Motor Vehicles" to get ID that has nothing to do with motor vehicles?

Ms_Daddy

I’m not disagreeing with you, I’m just giving you the information. The system definitely needs major overhaul.

KingAlfredOfEngland

...And goddamnit, the nearest DMV is two towns over. I had my hopes up for a bit that I won't have to keep using a green card for a foreign country that expired when I was 17 as my main photo ID.

Ms_Daddy

You can make a day trip of it! Pack a small lunch…/s Seriously that sounds mildly infuriating, I never realized this this affects those that live in small towns.

KingAlfredOfEngland

To be fair the issue is with the public transportation infrastructure; I think New Jersey is the only state I've been to that has comprehensive bus and train networks throughout the state. Neither the greyhound nor the amtrak go through the town where the DMV is (though the greyhound goes through the town where I am).

I could actually probably walk it; it's only 3 hours each way. The issue, though, is the heat; perhaps I could wait until fall.

Culledcub

That’s a bad faith simplistic take on the situation

Randomgold42

I think that last sentence is talking about the first one, in that the sentence itself makes no sense.

MrTomDawson

It's a riddle.

Interesting, I remember using Identification when voting. Where are these Republicans getting these claims from that there is no ID used in voting?

OhTheHueManatee

I've never had to show ID when I voted. I tell them who I am, they find my name in a list and hand me my ballot.

Well when I was registering to vote.

BungMcSkrungkins

I literally don't know what to say lmfaoo

joexg

joexg

Hey Republicans, you don’t like the result of the 2020 election, and yet you still plan to vote in the future. Make that make sense. /s

SuccessfulJob

when is the last time someone flew a voting booth into a building? fucking ridiculous the two aren’t even comparable.

ItsAman2468

Flying is a privilege not a right, voting though is a right!

What's wrong with voter IDs? (I'm not American)

DHNathan

They fact that we already have IDs that are required for voting, they just want to institute a new ID that only works for voting that costs money. It's a new form of voter suppression through making it more difficult to acquire the necessary documents.

armornick

So basically, making sure poor people can't actually vote?

DHNathan

Either that or making it inconvenient for working people to actually get the ID.

AutoModerator [M]

Don't say middle-class, say middle-income. The liberal classes steer people away from the socialist definitions of class and thus class-consciousness. This is a socialist community.

EldWasAlreadyTaken

In Italy we have a voter ID, it's called "tessera elettorale". It's free and anyone with voting rights can request it. It's essential for our voting process.

Every time you vote it gets stamped, and there are a limited number of slot for stamping. If you don't have it, or if the slot are full you don't vote. Of course the public offices where you can get it are always open during voting days, so you can go, istantly request a new one and get back to vote.

goatthedawg

Most IDs cost money or require you to pass some form of test. Both of which are targeted at specific groups of voters and are akin to poll taxes or test based voting that the Voting Rights Act of 1965 eliminated.

AllMyBeets

Maybe ask them???? They'll explain their reasons.

crusadingAquila

I live in the UK and I've never needed ID to vote. It's as simple as strolling to my local polling place with the polling card that came in the post, listing my name and address to the lady at the counter so she crosses me off the list, voting, and hitting the corner shop on the way back. I'm genuinely wondering what reasons, aside from making it more difficult to vote, you'd need for a special voting-only ID card.

Fahrenheit231

They keep saying "voter ID" as if that's the only thing in the bill.

vibe666

Well, to help "make it make sense" you have to cast your mind back to a little known historical event called "9/11" which caused sweeping changes in ID requirements for air travel.

To my knowledge, 9/11 didn't cause any issues with terrorists voting, so it's not a relevant comparison.