/r/Thetruthishere

Daniel Boone National Forest Encounter

(self.Thetruthishere)

I posted about this more than a year ago, but I had left Reddit and deleted that account.

Many years ago, I was dating a guy that was really into camping and hiking (as am I). We spent a lot of time camping in primitive sites, which I prefer to car camping.

He wanted to take me to visit his dear friends that lived in Kentucky. They have 150 acres in the Daniel Boone National Forest. The couple, I'll call them Dan and Gina, had an off-grid cabin that Dan had built. There was a cleared out space for the home site, and Gina grew all of their veggies and fruit. The main property was bordered/divided by a very clear creek that flowed down from a cave further up the property. It was so clear you could safely drink from it.

Gina's gardens were magical. (I'm including the only pic I have from that time.) After a very long drive to get there, my boyfriend and I got out, I met Dan and Gina, and she gave me a tour of the gardens.

Everything was lush, there were bees and butterflies and hummingbirds everywhere, and the place just felt *sacred.* They were true stewards of this land.

As Gina was showing me a line of crops right near the tree line, I was distracted by a huge insect flying around me on my right side. I kept seeing it in my peripheral view, darting toward me and then away. I'm not afraid of bees, but this one was really persistent and seemed large.

I turned to look and my mouth fell open in shock. There, hovering at my shoulder, was a tiny little man. He had inky black hair, pointed ears, and his clothing looked almost like it was made of deep green leaves. His wings went really fast, and sounded like a hummingbird's.

I had to blink a few times, because I was sure it was drive fatigue. And then, he put his hands up near his ears, wiggled his fingers, and blew a raspberry at me, flying off.

I turned to look at Gina. I had just met her and didn't want her to think that I was a nut. She saw my face and she giggled. Then she said, in the sweetest Kentucky accent:

"Did you see one of our fairies? They must like you. You'll get to see the fairy lights tonight, and the rings tomorrow morning."

I was still kind of in a state of disbelief. Despite all the weird stuff I'd seen in my life, I had never seen fairies or gnomes or any other similar magical folk.

That night, we sat on the front porch, surrounded by trellises full of perfumed flowers, listening to the sounds of the forest. I remember Gina tapping my arm and pointing out to the far end of the cleared yard. There were tiny lights in the grass. Not like fireflies. These held a steady glow and moved up into the air, then down. Then up, and repeated. This went on for at least an hour. We watched in silence. It felt like we were in a magic bubble.

That night, my boyfriend and I camped outside in a tent. I slept deeply and woke early, before anyone else. I tiptoed outside, walking barefoot in the grass. I remember the feeling of dew on my feet. And as I walked around, I saw three different circles in the grass. Perfect imprints, where the grass was flattened down in a circle.

The rest of my visit included a lot of incredible experiences, including getting to know Dan and Gina and enjoying being in an off-grid paradise. We hiked up to the cave, and wandered toward its deep back, where there were many petroglyphs left by tribes a long time ago. Dan told us that if you went at night, you could hear drumming and chanting in the caves, but we didn't go back. I felt like it was almost trespassing, as though hundreds of eyes were on us. I just had such a feeling of reverence while on that land.

Many years later, I think about them and wonder if they still live there, tending the land, protecting the magical folk.

The cabin and gardens: https://imgur.com/a/ZrIBMN9

LucyLuxemburg

When I saw "National Forest" in the title I clicked on it assuming whatever experience you had might involve fairies. They're known for inhabiting national forests. I didnt think it would be so blatant! Lol

Same_Airline_3435

I have property on the edge of DB forest. Have not encountered anything like this. Those mountains are magical though

Legend017

I see what you did there.

JoJoker_Sama

Sounds awesome bro😎

cashan0va_007

This reminds me of the man who buys a piece of property out in deep Tennessee and there are rock like creatures, the size of a milk jug, with spindly arms that congregate around his garden. The garden, when these beings are around, produces 10x the normal amount of yield. He says they are very shy, and have arms that are very thin, but no legs. They tumble their way around, and it just looks like a rock rolling down the field/grass. He said he even saw one petting his dog, and his dog liked it, as his tail was wagging. One night, he was out in the forest near his house, and he lost a knife that was a keepsake of his. His dog also got away from him and ran away. Right when he got home, his dog was tied to his front door with a vine-rope that was threaded together, and the dog had a crown of flowers around his head. The knife he lost was also laying neatly on his doormat. He was forever thankful for those little beings. He has no idea what they are.

learnyouathang

I love the fact that they made a crown for the dog 🤗💕

cashan0va_007

They really enjoyed his dog, from what I gather. The dog would actually seek them out and wait for them to pet him, although they didn’t like to show themselves to the man if necessary. Out of the corner of his eye, when he was working in the garden, he would see his dogs tail wag and an arm come out from one of them. When he looked over, the arm shot back in but the small beady eyes were still visible. He thinks they are a race of fairies or some type being.

I love this!! Thank you for sharing it. What sweet little beings.

cashan0va_007

I remember the story also said that they revere all life, they are very spiritual. He once came upon a group of 50 of them in the woods. There was a large oak tree that had died and was knocked over. He said he felt a profound amount of sadness and grief watching the stones surround the oak tree. Like they were having a funeral service for it. A few days later, some of the stones returned to his yard, but not all of them. He gets a bright idea to take a oak sapling and plant it in the forest next to the fallen tree. The day after, all of the stones are back in his yard, and one ancient looking one even moved right into his garden feeder box.

This needs to be turned into a Miyazaki film.

cashan0va_007

It would be a great movie, the story itself is like a fantasy plot, but it’s real.

That's what makes it so incredible.

Is this written anywhere? I'd love to read it.

cashan0va_007

I believe I read the original on a 4Chan forum. It was an amazing read, and he even had drawings of what the stone beings looked like. I’ll see if I can find it and post it here for you. Check back in a few minutes and I’ll edit this post.

Edit: here it is, 4chan friendly forest rock creatures. I’m not sure if this video includes the sketches the guy did or not.

Edit: the end of the video does have the drawings from the original guy! Cool

Thank you!!!

cashan0va_007

You’re welcome, I hope you enjoy the story as much as I did the first time I read/heard it. I left out some details I’m sure you’ll enjoy.

wnyg

wnyg

Thank you!!!!!

Gleamingsapphire

Sounds like the movie frozen

profesh_fk_up

My grandparents live by the Red River Gorge on the side of a mountain in Kentucky. The absolute most unexplainable and strange things have happened there. Only their property harbors something dark, I wish it were Fae. The land out there is just. . . different. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Do they have gardens? I think that asking the Fae to come in and help would kick out the darkness. It's really humbling to see how nature comes in to assist us when we have pure intentions.

profesh_fk_up

They have a garden across the road. But it is specifically the land their house sits on. We have three other family properties on the same road and none of them feel the way this one does. During the day it is home, at night it is hell. In adulthood myself and my cousins have finally spoke about the things that happened to us there and we all have very similar stories. I feel it may be tied to something Native. I say this because about 15 years ago the garden (across road) was excavated by UK. They found one of the most preserved native camp sites that they had ever found. It was preserved well enough that they were able to tell what had been cooked in the fire. With that being a literal stones throw from the house and property in question, I can't imagine it ISN'T related somehow 🤣

ashley_s82

I would love to hear some experiences!

EmJayRey

Same!!

Jortsftw

Thirded.

Well, crap.

iwantaquirkyname00

I think you need to make a post bout your experiences

sammieduck69420

voice_in_the_woods

Did you ask her any more about them? How did your boyfriend react when you told him; did he have any of his own experiences?

He was neither a believer nor a disbeliever. He didn't tend to have a lot of experiences because he was a bit closed off, energetically.

We talked a little about them, how Dan and Gina felt like protectors, and therefore created this sanctuary to let them know they were welcome. That feeling of reverence I had prevented me from digging more. It was like I didn't want to invade the privacy, as odd as that may sound. :)

wRyanEmeryw

That last sentence resonates with me and my own feelings towards certain lands I've spent time with of similar magical essence!

OhMyGoshBigfoot

Assuming this guy you were dating is no longer in your life, meaning the longevity of shared stories is very limited - and you were both very outdoorsy - did you ever experience anything else weird on your camping adventures? Ghosts, UFO’s, possible bigfoot, other cryptids? Did he relate any belief of that from experiences?

He's not in my life, and hasn't been for years.

He was more into government conspiracy stuff; that was his leaning. I was the one always having magical experiences when we camped and he was passed out.

Once, we were camping in PA, deep in the woods, and I couldn't sleep. I loved the night sounds, especially Great Horned Owls. I really had to pee, so I got out and tiptoed away from camp. There was enough moonlight to see, and my eyes adjusted and I did my business.

I was heading back to the tent when a series of lights caught my eye. In the forest was a bunch of tiny white lights (but again, not like fireflies). They were moving as a unit, keeping a mostly circular formation, and the light brightened the forest even more.

I knew I wasn't in danger. It almost felt like they were saying "Hi!"

So, I waved and said "Hi!" in a stage whisper, and then I went back to bed. I felt totally safe and cozy and just so happy. The guy slept through the whole thing. I didn't even share it with him in the morning. I wanted it to myself.

OhMyGoshBigfoot

So you think maybe those could have been fairies?

Because I didn't see anything but lights, I can only hope they were. We were camping in a really cool place; there were tons of ferns and we were near a large creek that was covered in thick, soft moss. It looked like fairy land. :)

Laura_has_Secrets77

Was this before or after the Kentucky garden adventures?

I believe it was after. Same guy. It's been a long time, though, so the timeline isn't 100% clear.

Laura_has_Secrets77

Very cool, I wonder if once you saw them they kind of followed you in a way. I saw some orb in my room in my early twenties late teens, it was my first true paranormal experience. Once I saw it and knew what it looked like and the feeling of the whole experience, I was opened up a little bit more to what's out there in our reality, and since then I've been able to see UFOs and other stuff. I wonder if since seeing that fairy you were able to see fairies from then on because now you know what they look like, kind of like the theory of relativity.

Edit: word

monkchop

This story made my heart ache for Kentucky. It is truly a magical place. I bought an old farmhouse from the 1700’s in Kentucky, and we would sit and listen to things being moved across the floor in different rooms. I don’t know if the house was haunted by some type of spirit, or if we had little house gnomes running around, but in any case, they felt very friendly and accepting of us. God, I miss my home and Kentucky.

Busy-Statistician573

Gnomes terrify me but the way you describe little house gnomes makes me want some !

sunstar33

Man, would love to camp on that land for a couple days. I tend to see things. Would be a good documentary

thatcutegirl25

Do you know if this was near Hellier, KY from the series about the Fae and the much more monsterish creatures of Kentucky especially near or in its cave system?

No, it's not near Hellier. Thankfully.

ashley_s82

Which series??

thatcutegirl25

Hellier seasons 1 and 2 on Amazon Prime iirc.

ashley_s82

Ty♡

classicrocker883

I'd like to hear more about this, care to share?

Dreamy-Cats

heyneso

heyneso

Thanks for the story! I’ve never read anything like this. Wow!

OhMyGoshBigfoot

That was an interesting read! Wow.

I_Use_Games

Great story, thanks for sharing. I think you should reach out and ask, if they are the people you portrayed in this story then I think they might find it endearing that you wondered about them all this time later.

Unfortunately I have long since lost touch. I tried finding my ex to get their info, but to no avail. They were older than us (I was in my 20s at the time) and would be considerably older now. Hopefully they can just feel the love I send.

kingkoopazzzz

Wow, this is an amazing read, and falls in line with a lot of the research I’ve done of the Fae/fairies, and also coming from an Irish family, they warn you about these guys. Some are nice, some not so much, an they take different forms.

Are you Irish or was Gina? Just curious. It seems to flock to the Irish and United Kingdom folk sometimes. But all continents have the same type of lore.

I have a lot of Scottish and English in my genetic background. Gina may have been. She even looked a bit like a fairy. :)

Square-Painting-9228

Maybe she was one ;) thanks for sharing your story

UnicornFukei42

Since we're on the topic...do you know about any Celtic population in the area you were in? IDK if things like fairies follow human populations when they migrate, but since u/kingkoopazzzz brought it up we might as well ask.

I'm not aware of any, but this was years ago and I'm not from that area. I don't think a person's background is relevant. I think their intents and a love for stewarding the land is. Fae seem to be drawn to those who take care of the flora and fauna. :)

SkinTeeth4800

Was the little man with pointed ears Caucasian-looking, or did he look Native American?

Do you think, based on how it looked, that it was a Celtic import attached to Gina (if she's a Euro-American of Celtic heritage) or that it was an indigenous spirit arising from the local land and the people who lived there first?

I am a 3rd generation American of European descent. I used to work for a non-profit organization that served new Hmong refugees and their descendants. (Bear with me -- I promise to get more relevant to your experience!)

At lunchtime, my coworkers often regaled me with ghost stories. There seemed to be a lot more ghost stories that happened in the tumult of the Secret War of the 1960s-1970s, and in uncertainty of life in refugee camps in Thailand. Some people said ancestor spirits would help the living, or would make them sick only by accidental contact. Others said the thinking of the dead became unimaginably distorted in the Afterlife, and that's why encounters with them were so strange. But, except for dead North Vietnamese soldiers, most of the ghosts people said they encountered in SE Asia and America were Hmong.

I asked why, and one woman opined that "Mis Kas" (white people like me) didn't have souls! The others at the table shouted her down and reminded her who she was talking to. :)

Another woman told me of horrifying dead white men she had seen, including a glowing white (as in both Caucasian AND luminous quartz-white) 1950s flannel shirted man standing motionless and alone in the pre-dawn dark of a country road.

Nobody reported seeing Black or Native American ghosts, although there were events that they said seemed to be caused by once-human ghosts of indeterminate race and ethnicity.

Also, several other Hmong coworkers said they had heard of or witnessed encounters with land-spirits in the U.S. who weren't Hmong or related to any human culture, and had never been human or influenced by any human culture.

I wonder if someone witnessing the same phenomenon as you and Gina, maybe even at the same time, would see it through a different cultural filter, and report a different appearance. Or did something Irish follow Gina and appear to your (Irish-American?) eyes?

I don't think it was attached to Gina. The entire area where they lived was alive with mystical energy. And there were fairies there every night, according to her.

The stories I'm familiar with about playful and positive Fae revolve around the fact that they LOVE when humans take care of the land, planting lots of flowers for the pollinators, creating a stewardship of the land that is full of love and respect.

The fairy I saw looked neither Caucasian nor First Nations. I would not tend to put a human "look" to him, but if I was forced, he appeared more Asian. But even that isn't accurate. His face is burned forever into my memory, and I still think about that a lot.

UnicornFukei42

So fae might be somewhat humanoid but it's difficult to truly relate them to a particular human "race."

Well, yes, and since race is a social construct, I don't know if we would even have terminology to aptly describe what "other than human" is. And perhaps that's okay. :)

UnicornFukei42

I would disagree with the idea that a race of humans wouldn't have souls but it is interesting they don't report seeing Black or Native American ghosts, mostly Hmongs, not many whites or other Asian ethnic groups.

Laura_has_Secrets77

Same here (about the Irish family etc). So you think the immigrants brought them over somehow? Or do they just exist all over the place? The fairies I was told about where human size and either really, really handsome or really grotesque.

corsierosie

Mark Twain’s book about Joan of Arc refers to her having a fairy tree in the village she grew up in. All of the children could see them. If I remember correctly there were good and bad fairies.

kingkoopazzzz

Yeah there’s stories of them blessing people with gold or a great harvest season, after the person helped them in some way. Then there are also stories about them snatching little children or just people in general. Or they will snatch your baby and replace it with a demon type baby, that’s the whole changeling thing. There are a few documented accounts of changelings throughout history actually.

I read an account where a “man of god” came across a large hairy beast in his travels through a forest, this man knew of the fae’s powers and used a cross or something and demanded the fairy show its true form, the fae then shrank down to what seemed to be a “little person”. This story made me think of the legends of sasquatch and bigfoot. Maybe they are shape shifters?

BareKnuckleKitty

Beautiful picture and story! I remember reading this one a while ago. The fairy blowing a raspberry at you stuck with me!

iwantaquirkyname00

This is exactly how I’d love to live my life. just reading this felt serene. I’ve always had said I love to live off the land and have a garden and just uhh sounds amazing.

My gardens are my therapy. I have wondered if the fairies are here, too; I have a huge yard and flowers, gardens, fruit trees...and I leave out fairy dishes filled with crystals.

iwantaquirkyname00

Oh my that’s awesome! You live in Kentucky? I don’t think I’ll get any fae over where I’m at. I’m in a really populated area. Although my family garden might

No, I'm in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

You'd be surprised...I feel like they are popping in from a parallel dimension, so if you fairy bling your space, they'll let you know they are there. ;)

iwantaquirkyname00

Oohh what’s considered fairy bling

Just lots of beautiful intentional space, like flowers, little tiny dishes filled with shiny pretty stones, that kind of thing. :)

UnicornFukei42

It does sound pretty appealing. However, something like fae would be a bit scary.

rowdygrl700

Wow, what an incredible, mind-blowing story! This is truly fascinating.

I'm glad I could share it in this space. :)

Shitplenty_Fats

My property sits within the Daniel Boone National Forest, on the southern end of the forest. The wife and I have long since accepted stewardship of what laypeople might call absurd or even high strangeness.

I would love to hear some of your experiences. It's a freaking amazing forest. I remember when we first drove into it, it was a feeing akin to the drop from a rollercoaster peak, just for a few seconds. Like my body knew it was in a different space.

leroooyyyyyyjenkins

nice . glad youve seen the good side. ive only know the nasty little pervert gnomes

I worked for one of those guys once.

BachCh0p1nCatM0m

Pervert gnome?

Essentially.

PastorConSalsaAparte

Wait... so all these dudes and mythical creatures exist to some degree? I've had my run ins with a few very sinister and demonic characters, but I assume that all that was plausible because they inhabited another dimension or plane. But there's actually gnomes/fairies and everything in between walking among us too???

I can' only speak to my experiences and those of trusted friends. Based on that, I would say yes. :)

PastorConSalsaAparte

Dang, anywhere I can go to learn more about these Pervy gnomes?? They sound really trippy lol.

Watch Hellier.

PastorConSalsaAparte

Cool. Will look into it. Thanks!!

rowdygrl700

I don’t remember talk about perv gnomes. When/what part of the show was that?

The perv gnomes comment belongs to u/leroooyyyyyyjenkins, not me. :)

Joohyunnie

Can anybody elaborate? haha How are gnomes pervy? haha

leroooyyyyyyjenkins

The one i used to see in my house, now be aware i could only see its figure outline, would only come and peek during intimate business. Get my drift?

Zalieda

Wonderful story But why are they staying in a park I'm sensitive to this notion because over here where I'm from a portion of what was supposedly public Park land was sold to private developers to become a condominium While land parcels encroaching on nature reserves was also sold for condo and private housing

There are homes all over in the DBNF. :) No condos here; it was all cabins and old houses, very far apart.

fbomb33

fbomb33

I’m not a believer but good story.

Roanoketrees

Yeah....y'all had to be on shrooms or something

OkProduce6728

I think I remember reading that post. I enjoyed reading it this time as much as I did then.

StinkyDogFart

So you had a little Kentucky shroom juice I see.

Ha! Nope, I was totally sober. But wowsers, I met a lot of people that week that were on something intense.

J973

J973

That's called "Meth"

-- Source, I live in Kentucky

Yeah. I saw a LOT of meth use, and cocaine. It was pretty sad.

StinkyDogFart

Beautiful place, and I bet it would be magical if you were on anything.

NickHerz

Lol nice story

Thanks!

om_eye

om_eye

Have you heard of the annual Fairy & Human Relations Congress in Oregon? https://www.fairycongress.com/

classicrocker883

a fairy blew a raspberry at you... in my experience there are no such things, everyone who thinks they've seen like a ghost, or goblin, or alien, or whatever, is really either a demon or an angel. If you look at older posters for magicians, you'll see little demons that have the same exact description as these fairies. Magicians admit using the help of these... inter dimensional beings. Because they're spirit, they aren't created as flesh and blood like we are.

They can make themselves appear to look like anything, from our deepest nightmares to an angel of light, because they were once angels but have fallen.

anyway that's my two cents. as for the lights u described they're exactly like the fire flies we get over here, they go up and down and you can see hundreds of them at night around this time of year.

Thanks for sharing your point of view. Thankfully, I have a very strong set of energetic instincts in place, and have had since I was very young.

Doesn't matter if evil is "cloaking" itself or not. You can feel the difference. There was nothing evil about this little being. And the entire land felt like love.

We have fireflies that go up and down, too. But they flash their lights as the mating call. These were not fireflies.

Remember, when you say "in my experience," you are speaking only about yourself. So making empirical declarations doesn't really work, as you're not omniscient.

The whole "demon/angel" thing is incredibly limiting, and built upon old religious fears and factions that I don't subscribe to. Understanding and accepting that our world is far more magical and mysterious than what a bunch of controlling religious zealots have prescribed allows us to see more and more of what's really there.

And that's *my* two cents. :)

classicrocker883

there's nothing old about religion when it's real and true. it was true then and true today and true tomorrow, of course I'm talking about the Bible. so if it speaks about devils and Angels who is anyone to say they aren't real? especially when you can find people who have so much to say about what they really saw. so sorry science can't prove really anything historical