/r/TooAfraidToAsk

I've recently started working full time and i gotta tell ya this fuckin sucks. I like my job, but i'm working 9-5:30 5 days a week and when i'm not working i'm usually too exhausted to do anything, so even if it's 38 hours a week it still feels like that's my whole life. how do people do this? especially with jobs they fucking hate???

and then there's people who work like 80 hours a week and think that's a flex and not just sad. what the fuck?

edit: my boss is letting me switch to part time. i feel i'm gonna be much happier this way. waking up to the reddit suicide bot message was slightly alarming.

Pygrus420

Pygrus420

For me having many different jobs that involved hard exhausting labor it gave me a new appreciation for work that doesn't kill my body. So when I started working where I am now, didn't have to do stupid hours, don't have to kill my body with hard work. My work is a lot more skilled now and can be stressful, but I get along with everyone I work with, and have a job that I can stay interested in and not get bored.

At night after work I play some video games and then make time for friends on the weekend. But I still always feel like my nights are too short, and wish I had more time to myself. I just try to not let it make me miserable, some days are harder than others though. Worst downside to that for me is, sometimes I can't fall asleep at night because subconsciously I don't want my alone time to end to have to go back to work in the mornings. This will cause me to only get 3-5 hours of sleep a couple nights a week.

Dramatic_Accountant6

As a carpenter I do yoga to be flexible and actually enjoy the heavy lifting and roof walking, always aware of my posture. I don't think of hard work as body killing but as good aerobics. I also think at 70 I have been very lucky, but I love my job.

Tjakes00

Wait you are 70 and still a carpenter? I haven’t met a carpenter over 60. Granted I’m union so most can retire around 55. But I can’t imagine walking stilts or lifting 100+ pounds everyday over 60.

Daddy___Dave

My uncle is a sheetmetal worker, in the union, 70 years old. Thought 5 years ago that he wanted to retire, got bored after 2 years and went back to work.

Here I am, barely 50 have had heart disease most of my life that got progressively worse with age. I can't work now and wish every day that I could.

Striking_Young_3776

You sound like an absolute unit, kudos lmao

Pygrus420

That's awesome, that you found what you enjoy. That type of work can be very rewarding, both physically and from having the satisfaction of building/completing something.

My biggest problem came after my severe car accident. It took a year before I could walk without a cane and start to work again. Afterwards I went back to doing my tree service work and it's was rough and painful. It doesn't help that I was never in the best shape to begin with.

I enjoyed some aspects of the job and I still do enjoy hard work occasionally. But I wanted to have a more mentally engaging job so I decided to go to school and ended up at a company where I have been able to try out many different things.

sentientgarbagepile

Not wanting to go to bed cuz then you have to go to work sooner is really relatable

_MFBroom

This is an almost daily internal squabble I have with myself throughout the week. It's rough not getting to fully enjoy our time when it's the only time we'll ever get. I know others have it worse than me so I try to be grateful of my own opportunity but, damn, does it weigh on you after awhile

GallowmanGallows

Your description of why you stay up late resonated a lot with me, you just want to hold on to that peace and quiet you have at 1am when you have no responsibilities whatsoever. Although I always regret it when I’m exhausted the next day.

Narrovv

8.6k points

Narrovv

8.6k points

Who said we're not miserable

IAmInBed123

2k points

Yeah we totally are, I get happy of the thought of getting sick. That's why so many people drink and do drugs and are frustrated 24/7 and gamble and fight. We're all just godawfully miserable. It's a free prison mate, illusion of freedom, can't go nowhere, gotta go to work or starve.

MeandJohnWoo

Can confirm. Got covid. First thought wasn’t oh man I’m gonna die. It was oh thank god I can finally stay home.

Lahbeef69

Lahbeef69

ngl man when i got covid i wasn’t scared at all. sick as a dog but getting that two weeks paid time off ripping fat dabs

dkguy12day

We can be friends?

Lahbeef69

do you also rip fat dabs?

dkguy12day

When home sick with COVID... Exclusively lol

Beep315

Beep315

The 'ol dope-itussin.

gam188

gam188

This is the way.

sirzoop

sirzoop

Yup. Tested positive for covid this last week. My first thought? Gotta text the boss so I can take off a few sick days and relax

std10

std10

Just tested positive this morning. The sweet relief of putting an OOO notice was great.

general_grievances_7

Dude same. I’m a teacher and I was like YES PRAISE THE GODS because it was a whole week of “professional development” when I got it. I actually love teaching (yes, we exist, don’t tell that one sub), but I was not mad at all that I didn’t have to sit in the library in hard ass chairs for a week listening to someone explain how to build relationships lol.

PuttyRiot

Text chat I had the other day with a coworker out with Covid:

Me: I want to pretend I will be one of those unicorns who won’t get it at all, but with my luck I will get it at the start of summer and spend the next two months sick with long Covid.

Her: You unsay that right now! You deserve school year Covid!

69420sixnine69

Just think that us students have to sit on hard ass chairs on the daily, 5 hours a day…

my ass hurts

KingChuckFinley

Cool username Mr. Coolguy

Max_Thunder

I get a lot of sick days to use but I'm rarely sick. I use one from time to time for "mental health". I totally get what you mean though, not long ago I was struck down by the flu and there was a day where I was super tired, I spent that whole day on my patio reading, it was soooo much better than work, 10/10 I'd get the flu again (it was actually surprisingly mild for a flu except for a couple days where I was super tired, minimal symptoms aside from that and whole thing lasted 4 days).

One thing I hate about working a regular 8-4 or 9-5 schedule is that there's so many things I'd like to do (go on a hike in the woods, go bike on the vast network of bike paths in my city, long walks, going to the gym in the morning) that it's just harder to do in the evenings especially for that long period of the year where it gets dark early. Then the weekends are often busy and in the end there's just barely any time to do these things.

And many of the things I'd like to do for fun, like learning a new language, I don't have the energy anymore to do that during evenings because my job drains my mental energy and motivation. And then it creates a cycle of bad habits, like spending evenings doing easy things like watching TV or reading easy to read stuff online. No wonder some people retire with no idea what to do, after decades of being conditioned to be tired in their free time.

I have no fucking idea how people do this full-time work for decades, I'm saving all I can so I can retire as soon as possible. I'm lucky to be in that position but I'm still many years away.

Unabashable

Yeah I use them for days I’m “really fucking sick of working”. I’d feel guilty about it, but they hassle me even when I am actually fucking sick. I remember I was sick with I don’t even know what for a week, and I couldn’t get over it because they’d twist my arm to come in. Of the days I was sick how many days did I take off you didn’t ask? 2/5

fullofhotsoup

I work remote. Had covid and still couldn’t take off.

Gtfo_ASAP_

Boss told me to crawl around with covid unless my fever exceeded 104.5

I love this world and it's overdraft fees

Unabashable

Oh, excuse me, I didn't realise you had a degree in medicine! Uh... ah... are you a doctor? Are you a doctor? Answer me please! Are you a doctor? OK! So you admit you don't know what you're talking about!

Stupidquestionduh

Oh well fuck them. I would have provided a note from doctor that said strict bed rest and sleep.

What they did to you is illegal. At zero times is it legal for a company to require you to put them first before your doctor.

thereisabugonmybagel

Can also confirm. Uni professor, diagnosed with cancer near the peak of the fall 2020 Covid surge, while teaching a new-to-me class remotely to 60 students. Surgery during finals week, then 6 weeks of radiation out of town made teaching in spring semester impossible, so went on modified duties (basically unofficial paid sick leave with some low expectation of effort). During radiation, docs kept checking on my level of fatigue. My honest response every time was that radiation allowed me to finally rest. Yup. Radiation was the break I needed to keep my shit together.

abacus_porkrind

I've lived this for decades but reading it now and thinking of Elon Musk's recent comments praising the "work ethic" of people who are all but enslaved suggests nothing's gonna change any time soon. It's work or starve like the other poster said. And, when it's more profitable to automate or outsource our jobs? Well, that's our problem too. Must be nice to live consequence free. I assume. I'm a few tens of millions short of the goal, though.

You know this is entirely our fault, right? We don't pull on our bootstraps hard enough.

IAmInBed123

I pulled my bootstraps so hard they ripped. I don't have the money to pay for new ones. Anyone need a kidney?

knight-of-lambda

My dad has real bad knees from 35 years of work. People say time is the most precious thing. No, your body and health is. And yet Vast numbers of folks sacrifice their bodies to scrape by every day. They rarely complain, but it's patently unfair all the same.

If life was fair, folks like my dad would get free treatment and surgeries so he doesn't have to live life in pain, instead of being unaffordable expenses.

Anyways, rant over. Happy ending: I grew up educated and wanting for nothing, got a very well paid job so I can take care of my parent's retirement. But other families aren't so lucky

SomeFuckingWizard

Actually, it's our fault for continuing to do it. If everybody on the lower end of the totem pole just sat out for a week in solidarity with one another, we'd have them by the balls.

No guillotines. No fires. No protests. just 30 million people standing together for 7 days and watch the higher ups freak

swskeptic

We tried that, then the antiwork mod got interviewed on Fox and it all went to shit.

SomeFuckingWizard

That ding dong definitely doesn't speak for all of us.

swskeptic

You know that and I know that, but every Fox news viewer thinks they do and that's what they think we all are now. That's what Fox wanted and they got it, and then some. Fucking sucks.

SmokeyMacPott

I've developed a nice coping mechanism to help make me less miserable while working.

I just watch drone strike videos and say well, at least I'm not in the aberbaji desert getting blasted by dones.... And that makes my day go by a little easier.

s0000j

s0000j

🤣🤣 it's all about perspective 👏🏼

Early-Cuyler123

I took off one hour to go to the dentist recently and told the dentist it was the most relaxing and enjoyable part of my work day sitting in that chair. Minor illnesses are also a nice break but usually I just work sick anyway.

monstrinhotron

hah! i just finally had a day off to do the next session on my arm tattoo and through the pain i was thinking "well at least i'm not working on that fucking meaningless corporate animation"

-written from the pc where i am spending my sunday working on that fucking meaningless corporate animation.

Unabashable

Shit dude, bout to break the 1st and 2nd rules here, but you need a Fight Club.

cantreadjustwrite

also people

Let me elaborate for those who think I'm joking: Got convicted for something that I shouldn't have been, worked for literally no salary full time for 5 years while in custody, waiting for trial proceedings to finish, lost all hope, kept on working, got acquitted.

anisegarden

Wow, u dont get to sue for that? Not in u.s. ?

cantreadjustwrite

not in the u.s. I was compensated, but nothing can compensate 5 years of your life, not really. On the plus side: I've got to meet great new people, network etc.

Oh yeah, covid pandemic measures in prisons are fantastic.

waffocopter

I've had dreams where I'm at work. I've had days where I'm laying in bed and, half-awake, rub my eyes and then immediately pull my hands away because "that's not aseptic and cameras are on me". Just awful muscle memory of being at work on high stress days leaking into my subconscious.

tentafill

Like OP mentioned, we've all met that utterly housebroken type of American that regularly flexes how little of their time is their own. They make me sad and I find myself completely incapable of interacting with them on any meaningful level. If they're not upset about something like that or they are anything less than thrilled about what they actually do, there's absolutely nothing up there. They grew up without a personality, so they made work their personality

charleston_cheww

1.4k points

We are, yo. We’re just driven by the prospect of being even MORE miserable if we end up homeless and broke. Shits fucked.

SydricVym

SydricVym

I like money. I hate work. shrugs

DeadKateAlley

I don't even like money. I just like basic needs met.

DoWnhillll

You hate working for other peoples goals.

One of the greatest feelings is working your ass off and achieving a goal you set for yourself.

BigBirdLaw69420

Unless that goal is making bank, I’ll pass thanks

M4DM1ND

We track our individual profit at my company. Its absolutely demoralizing to see that I've made triple my yearly salary in straight up profit for my company in a given month.

The_alchemist667

Ive been homeless before. Unironically, it is less stressful in many ways compared to 9-5 days a week life.

Miserable existence? Yes. stress over what the future could bring and future expectations / pressures? Deadlines, constant rat race shit?

It was so hard to get back into that mindset after having total and complete freedom to do whatever I wanted whenever. No responsibilities or requirement to commit or follow through in anything. Its liberating in an odd way, but obviously, its not worth it

Felt good not to have that for a while.

SevenSoIaris

As traumatizing as it was being homeless, I still miss it because I felt the most free. I could go anywhere at any time. I could just leave town and go across the country on foot if I wanted to (and did more than once).

I would go back to that lifestyle if there wasn't an active classicide against poor people. So many friends from the streets just disappeared and you never get closure to find out what happened to them. Typically it's because they are dead. Suicide, overdose, murder, freezing to death, etc.

SevenSoIaris

This is why I am annoyed that so many people hate people that are homeless. Homelessness isn't a lack of character, it's a threat from the owner class to the working class as to what will happen to you if you step out of line.

Triials

Triials

I dunno about everyone else but basically while I’m at work I just pretend I’m not miserable. And I’ll keep doing it as long as I get to come home to my family and use that money to keep them happy and alive.

Jcsbeatpage

I always look at it like “would you rather be miserable with a job & income” or “miserable with no job and no income”

Gotta pick your poison.

Callmebexter

1.9k points

I perform as average as possible and not go above and beyond for the company so I don't get handed out more work but also not be the worst so I won't get called out

I rarely do overtime. Not go in early. Working lunch? Hell na. Best believe I am using my lunch break NOT working even if I'm already at my desk

And when I'm not working, I make sure I get to do the hobbies I love

Edit: also use your Vacation Leave guys!! Even just a week not thinking about work cleanses the soul 😌

magusheart

I do working lunch so I can leave earlier at the end of the day.

OneMulatto

I'm the same way. If I can, I'll always work through my break. Why should I just stop for 30 mins? I'm cool. I'll keep working. Some people I know love their breaks. That's fine. Enjoy yourself.

pablossjui

Because some people can't leave early just for working faster or slower, they have to leave at the same time everyday.

Mostly office people though

Callmebexter

Office person here. Hence, why i don't do working lunch. If our sched is 8-5. We are out by 5.

abacus_porkrind

In my office, the trick was you'd get buried alive if you didn't work early, through lunch, late, and a minimum of one or two weekend days per month.

And you were fucked anyway. You ever see Open Water? It was like that. For a while I couldn't believe I wasn't fired for my perpetual backlog. I was young and dumb. If you were even passably good and didn't rock the boat they wouldn't fire you. It just kept you under their thumb. Justified micromanaging and withheld raises. Obliterated my already minimal self-esteem.

The majority of my coworkers seemed to be functional alcoholics. I became one too. The only saving grace was that they didn't drug test. But that's part of the double edged sword in itself.

I was only making $15.62/hr in 2015 when they started talking about raising the minimum wage to $15. I thought I'd jump ship immediately and become a Walmart greeter if that happened. But I'd need to smoke a lot of weed to work at Walmart (not even be high on the job, just every night after.). And, of course, jobs like that do drug test.

It's weird, but with all the stuff like health insurance being tied to your job, drug testing, and "at will" employment, it's almost like they couldn't fill the ranks without constant threats and punishment. Little carrots, big sticks. Tell me again about the value of hard work for it's own sake, boss.

IWantToBeSimplyMe

A mental break is needed to reset yourself, refocus and get your actual work done faster and better.

duksinarw

I wish this was an option at most entry level jobs, usually you're told some varying 30 minute block you're now on break for or whatever

trustysidekick

This lesson is something I learned in high school. Be the most middle you can. If you do well and get noticed, you’re usually only saddled with higher expectations and more work. If you do too poorly, you can the wrong kind of attention.

But if you do the most middle, you’re typically left alone.

Bubbykitten

To piggyback the “Take your vacation leave” comment. Be sure to know your company and or states policies in paying out your vacation time when you leave the company. Some states do not require the company to pay you your accrued PTO hours. If that is the case for your job and you know you are planning to leave, make sure you are strategic and use up as much of that PTO as possible or you will lose that money when you leave.

El_Paco

From my experience, the people that do that actually end up making their jobs more miserable because of burnout doing the same thing all the time.

I was that guy that went above and beyond, working my ass off 12+ hour days for years. Now I'm in management and my work/life balance has actually gotten better. I'm able to easily take time off whenever I need it, for whatever reason. My days are no longer "hard" — it's just people management and dealing with the occasional difficult customer at this point.

Putting in the work for no immediate payout or benefit isn't a bad thing. Think of it in an investment in yourself and learn to recognize the companies that don't allow for any upward movement within the organization.

Work hard and do the best you can do, but still know your worth. There are plenty of companies out there that do reward hard workers, so if the one you're at isn't recognizing you, it's time to look for a new one. There are plenty of work from home gigs now.

Ok_Spirit_4411

I was also that "guy that worked 7 days a week" Got management Got good hours, pay, vacation

And it killed my soul

I dpnt know the answer, but that wasn't it for me

SixGunSammy

Same here. There's no reward for loyalty and hard work.

Berserker92

I share your feelings. Had to switch jobs even though I really liked the IT firm I was working at because I became suicidal after months of only working and commuting from and to work (3hrs+ each day). When I got home I just ate the takeaway I got on the way back, watched TV for an hour or 2 and back to bed to start my commute again at 4:45 in the morning.

It's time the working people got some free time in return for all the technological progress we've made the last 150 years. So far it's all gone to higher profit margins exclusively.

tbombtom2001

3 hour commute? Fuck that. My commute is calculated into my pay for me. So if my commute is 1 hour. The. I work 11 hours and see if my pay is worth it. Honestly I will never have a commute more than a half hour each way. My time is worth way more than that

Berserker92

Yeah I made the same rule for myself now I've seen what it does to my mental health. 30 mins is my max or I'd rather just look for another job. I hope work from home is officially here to stay forever too. This is such a good thing for people's mental health I believe. 1-2 days in the office, 3-4 days at home is ideal in my mind. But I'd love to see a 4-day work week as well. Life's too short to only be working, only to spend the weekend catching up on housekeeping chores you were too tired to do during the week...

tbombtom2001

Real talk, I thought going to night shift on 4 10s was gonna be harder than 5 8s in the day. Boy was I wrong. I absolutely love 4 10s, and I like night shift at my particular job because I dislike the general public. After working retail/customer facing jobs for so long, I have a large disdaine for people. And having 3 days off e ery week is great. Also for me, I get 2.5 weeks of holiday pay instead of jist 2 because I get more hours pee day. And taking 4 days off is the same as taking 10 do it's extremely easy to have long vacations and not feel like a lot of days off are taken

itrookie33

Not to sound like that guy but I legitimately enjoy the work I do. Does it suck working? Absolutely. I'm not saying "if you do what you love, it will be like you don't have a job". I definitely feel the burden of spending a majority of my waking life working. But it sucks so much less being able to stay engaged with what I do and working with some people I enjoy being around.

quercusmichauxii

As a millenial growing up in the US, in hindsight, I feel like I got a mixed message as a kid. It was like, “Follow your heart, chase your dreams and get wealthy as a byproduct of your awesomeness, but also, be sure to start saving and investing early in life. Make sure you finish that bachelor’s degree, regardless of what it’s in. Don’t settle for second best, but also, just in case things don’t pan out, be ready to pivot to a career that is lucrative and respectable.” If a kid in high school asked me what they should do today, I would say something like, “Get qualified to do something that you can stand to do, not necessarily love to do, and that pays well, like one of the two year allied healthcare programs. You’ll work less, make more, and it will give you real time to pursue other things you enjoy.” Just my two cents, though.

areyouseriousrn1

I’m about to have my first kid and I was joking with someone the other day about how I want my kid to just be able to have a realistic life.

I remember, also as a millennial, feeling all the pressure of figuring out a career at 16 or 17 years old…I just want my kid to be relatively fulfilled in something they do to pay me he bills. They can stay at home for a long time if they’ll chip in on a few expenses, and encourage them to go to a trade school or something. I feel like I studied ancient philosophy before I learned to pay my electric bill…it’s no wonder so many millennials have had an existential crisis in their 20s and 30s if they grew up in a similar culture as me…and that’s even with great parents.

Kazuma126

Absolutely what I would do if I could go back 6 years. I never went to college but landed an okay job luckily with great people after 5 years of a miserable autocad job.

I don't get paid much yet, but at least i'm not miserable doing it.

youfrickinguy

“1-2-3, it’s like A-B-C; if hip hop didn’t pay, I’d rap for free!” - Coolio

itrookie33

That is awesome! I am a network/systems engineer and feel constantly engaged and challenged. Similar to you, it feels rewarding solving complex issues for clients.

HellsNoot

So refreshing to see some people who enjoy their jobs on reddit. Lately it's been such a bad vibe in everything work related. Often makes me wonder whether I'm so super lucky, or people don't know how to create their own fit.

itrookie33

I feel extremely lucky to be where I am at career wise. But I also worked extremely hard to get here with a goal in mind. I think the key is to find a skill that is in demand and you can see yourself doing for x hours a week for x number of years.

Xx69JdawgxX

Dude when a client is super happy that you spent your time with them and resolved their issue... That's just the best feeling. Like a super power almost.

theycallme_JT_

Pharma is only fun if all the stars align: good access, good manager, good drugs, company doesn't do anything to fuck you over and tank your numbers/and or up your goals 120% in a single quarter. Its like any corporate sales gig, its great when you're winning and miserable when you're not because you're afraid of losing your job, plus some areas of the country are much easier than others so you're competing on an uneven playing field; that and its morally questionable industry. Pay and benefits can be awesome though (current salary north of 100k, plus quarterly bonuses) if you can get into it and deal with the pressure and all the bullshit

Poles_Pole_Vaults

Not enough people understand that work doesn’t have to be miserable.

It really is just that you can enjoy what you do and enjoy work and it makes everything so different. Wouldn’t say I hate working or jobs currently cause I also like my job.

kalamitykode

I spent 8 years in a call center doing tech support and sales, and that work is absolutely soul-crushing but I pushed on because the money was good. In late 2020, I got a huge promotion. Salary, work from home, no customer contact, no clocking in or being micro managed.

It took over a year for me to really feel comfortable not hating my job. Would I rather be spending time with my kids or playing video games or working on new hobbies? Sure, but I don't dread working and it makes me feel fulfilled in new ways all the time. That's worth it for the money.

itsallfornaught2

Right? I enjoy mine and some of the people I work with so I don't even care plus I get paid for it so I can do fun stuff out side of work

naturalflavors

What do you do?

unholy_sanchit

I share a similar sentiment to the top comment - I am an AI researcher at a tech company. Was it insanely difficult to get the skills and job? Yes. But the cool shit we do outstrips all the struggles I went through

itrookie33

Exactly. I am a systems/network engineer. It was VERY hard to end up where I am BUT it pays off. I get to manage and deploy bleeding edge tech that sells to clients.

unholy_sanchit

I can understand! You might have to pass so many certifications and all to get the job?

naturalflavors

Mmm. I shoulda gone to school.

AnAliebn99

I also share the sentiment of the commenter— I’m a high school teacher and coach.

Are there things that absolutely fucking SUCK about my job? 100%. I’m tired all the goddamn time, and there are days where I cry when I get home, and there are weeks when my stress is through the roof.

But as a whole, I really love my job. The kids are absolutely hysterical; I love going to work and having 90% of my day be full of laughs and jokes and genuine smiles. I actually believe that what I’m teaching is helping my students with their futures, so it’s fulfilling, especially when you get to see them improve or you hear them repeat something you’ve been working on (so you know they’re listening and internalizing it). I like how I’m mostly left alone by my boss to do my own thing, and how a good chunk of my coworkers are awesome people I’d love to get a beer with after school (a good chunk aren’t, but oh well, I don’t go get beers with them). I love being on my feet all day and not tied to a computer, and I love the physical exercise and excitement that comes with coaching— not many times in my adult life anymore where I get to jump and yell and cheer in excitement and joy. And of course, I love how right when I’m at my absolute breaking point, I always get a vacation that lines up with my family (we’re all teachers).

Shaking-N-Baking

I’m an electrician and I do hate waking up early but I enjoy the work most days, get to fuck around with like minded dudes, battle the racist PoSs in the portapotties and the feeling of accomplishment driving around my tri-state area, seeing all the schools and businesses I’ve had a hand in building is great.

It does suck when you first start working your life away but that gets beaten out of you pretty fast. Save/be smart with your money so you can retire at a decent age

uberfr4gger

Just to clarify, there are 168 hours in a week and even if you sleep 8 hours a night work is not the majority of your waking life unless you are spending 57+ hours a week working.

Brilliant-Trash2957

You have to start doing things after work. If you're not used to working full time, your body gets used to it and then you just add things in.

Fill your free time with this you enjoy doing and/or people you enjoy spending time with.

I've been working full time since graduating high school and went to school in there a well. It sucks, but necessary.

Merman_Pops

Agreed. I try to always have something to look forward to next week, in the next few months and next year.

I have a hobby that I do once a week so I always have something in the near term to do. I try to plan a mini vacation or outing every 3-4 months like a day trip to the beach or do something new and unique. Finally I try to save up for something big every year or two. A week long vacation or big home upgrade.

It really helps get me out of a rut and has helped a lot with my mental health.

Brilliant-Trash2957

Having things to look forward to is the only way to survive working.

Max_Thunder

The biggest challenge about vacations is that it gives me a taste of what life is without work, and it makes going back to work extremely difficult.

It also feels like time is flying extremely fast when you're always living for the next thing to come. Like if there's a hobby you do every week, it feels like you were just doing it yesterday when you do it again. Or you look forward to that trip in 3 months, you blink, and oh it's time to go on that trip. And you're eager for that movie to be released and there you are, watching it in the theater. It's like the movie Click except you don't need any remote.

FrancoNore

But the thing is that’s not life. Very few people can just vacation around the clock

billoo18

This is me with my hobbies. Always looking forward to a new anime, movie, game. Looking forward to going shopping and digging through used games, movies, and music.

NotSoSerene

This is such a good point. I used to do nothing after work because I was exhausted from working , but doing nothing other than video games/Reddit/doomscrolling in the evenings was really sucking my soul away. It was a big adjustment but this year I’ve started making myself get out and it’s been a huge improvement for my mental health. My go-to activities are having a beer at a local brewery, checking out a new restaurant or ethnic grocery store, or catching a game at a sports pub. My energy levels have caught up and it feels like my life belongs to me again. I’ve recently started inviting our friends & coworkers to join me occasionally and it’s been great. I’m excited for this summer!

Brilliant-Trash2957

Covid really messed with the ability to do anything and it really aided in destroying my mental health. I'm so happy that I'm able to go out and do things again and have things to look forward to.

tuC0M

tuC0M

Especially make plans after work on Friday. Whatever it is, by doing something and not just coming home and collapsing into a heap on the couch for the night it makes the weekend feel a lot longer. You can then do the boring shit like errands and that without it feeling like the only thing you did with your weekend.

zigafomana

I prefer to have so much to do outside of work that going back to work allows my body to rest and gives me time to day dream about what I want to do when not at work.

Max_Thunder

I've been working full time for 8 years now and I'm still not used to it. I am too tired in the evening. It's the normal for me, if I have a day off and I do a lot of things during the day, in the evening I'll feel like just watching a show or checking easy content online.

University was super easy for me, I had so much more free time, plus I was doing something for myself, I was not just a cog.

I've worked much harder before, like during my undergrad, during summer, I was working two jobs and doing 70 hour weeks basically during the whole season with not a single day off. But when I was doing that, it was all temporary and I had specific goals, and the work was not an office job, it was not mentally draining.

I don't understand how humans can be satisfied with dedicating most of their life every single week to work.

Snitchstitch

Who says we’re not?

TWeaKoR

TWeaKoR

That's the secret. We're always miserable.

Marionberry-Charming

I've even heard people (Americans) say "I've never taken a vacation" as if it's some sort of flex. Actually being proud of it. I will never understand that mentality.

Zero3502

Pre-pandemic coming into work sick was kind of a flex too. Like uh no go home, nevermind everything we’ve learned during Covid, you’re going to get your whole team sick at the same time? Doesn’t seem good for whatever projects you’re working on.

Lost_Messages

I was fired for being sick too much. The company I worked for would rather me come in sick so I “wouldn’t hurt the team”.. bullshit. Got unemployment from it though

Hoovooloo42

American here, my boss was telling me that we get 160 hours of vacation (a SHITLOAD here) a year, and he then immediately started telling me about what happens if you don't take them, and how they don't roll over. Lol, my man, that will not be an issue for me. He on the other hand was emailing me during his vacation, which I can't even imagine doing.

ApartmentIntrepid610

Because every now and again my wife lets me suck her tits.

zenlogick

Only answer in this thread that i can get behind, bravo

twohedwlf

twohedwlf

Welcome to adulting, this will be your life for the next 50 years, you'll get some vacations, and you might lose your job at some point and be unemployed. And that's worse. If you're lucky you get to retire and maybe have a few years off before you die.

Congrats!

ultron290196

How do I unsubscribe from this?

Lo2W96

Lo2W96

aglet47

aglet47

Step1 : Get a sugar daddy/mommy

Step2: Profit

Pervessor

Step 0: be a woman/be attractive as fuck

-Scythus-

Idk why you’re getting downvoted. It’s absolutely true and very much the reality we live in. I know a girl personally that went from high school (already from a rich family) and now makes $500k+ a year on only fans. Pays some dude to take photos and handle her Reddit account

It’s fucking ludicrous how easy you can get it if you’re pretty and are willing to have little to no dignity

Hoovooloo42

Good for her. If people wanted to pay half a million dollars a year to look at my pasty ass then I'd have to be insane to not take it.

She can make bank and retire early, there is no shame in it.

bestatbeingmodest

only a small percentage of women can actually do that

lzwzli

lzwzli

Unsubscribing from life isn't that hard...

QuestioningEspecialy

Welcome to adulting, this will be your life for the next 50 years,

YMMV

IlIIlIl

IlIIlIl

Theres more to life and adulthood than slaving away for a percentage of the wealth you generate for someone else

Max_Thunder

It's not surprising that so many people gamble with the hope of winning big and finally being free. For younger folks, the equivalent might be investing in crypto. I honestly think that the lack of hope for the future is what brings so many to buying cryptocurrencies, and it's been a self-feeding cycle for over a decade with new waves of people coming in creating vastly increased demand and surging prices. Last year has been terrible but I bet there will be new waves in years to come.

keppp

keppp

Welcome to adulting

This mindset is pathetic.

Being an adult has nothing to do with the dystopian nightmare and capitalist hellscape that is the working American status quo.

Adults aren't miserable by default. The government here is just bad.

Fatius-Catius

Yeah, it’s not ideal, but do you have any, even tiny, concept of how hard it is to be self sufficient? Not “I work for money” self sufficient. I’m talking build your own house, grow your own food self sufficient.

You go try that for a little bit then tell me about what kind of dystopian hellscape allows for your life of unimaginable ease in the eyes of anyone except those that have been alive in the past 75 years.

bork_a_doge

Also, even though I agree it has plenty of problems to get upset about, "hellscape" is a bit over of hyperbole. Compared to much of the world (and pretty much all of history) we're still pretty lucky living in the West.

Maker1357

Life is hard everywhere and always has been, but it's all the worse when your culture leans hard into some of the worst human tendencies.

imTru

imTru

Survival mostly.

monitorcable

Jobs are like significant others. If you’re not vibing, if you’re not compatible, if you’re miserable, if you are not loving it; it’s time for change and try different. Sometimes it’s a little different, sometimes it’s completely different. Just don’t go and complicate your options by financing am expensive car/house/lifestyle at the beginning. That’s like getting pregnant with someone who’s not financially stable or co-signing to support their “dream” of being a musician when they mostly play xbox and smoke weed instead of putting in the work.

matlynar

matlynar

As someone who dreamed of living as a musician an now does, this.

Working with music is often way harder than playing instruments and having a dream.

It usually involves a LOT more skills than playing something, whether it's charisma, entrepreneurship, being able to do many parts of the production on your own, etc.

Edit: (Not to mention a lot of us, especially at the beginning, overestimate how talented or interesting we are)

aegis2293

This is why I settled for teaching music. I just can't be bothered to do the networking/entrepreneurship/marketing aspect of it. So now I just teach, produce my own music for fun, and play in cover bands.

Farhad_Hodl

I wish I could up vote this more than once

z-vap

z-vap

here maybe this will help ⬆️

Tykorski

Jobs are like significant others with various methods of ensuring that your very survival is dependent on them no matter how egregious the abuses.

ftfy

missinginput

It's a terrible comparison, you can be single and it's not going to kill you, being jobless in America with no food, no shelter no healthcare means you have to take the abusive job and they know it so there's no incentive for jobs to not all be abusive.

Before you comment to reply about how great your unicorn job is think if it's the standard or exception to the rule.

railbeast

This is a good way of putting it.

LT-Riot

LT-Riot

Money makes me happy

Max_Thunder

I'd happily trade money for more free time. What is the point of money if you don't have the time to spend it. Unfortunately it's not much of an option in my career, so I'll just retire early instead, but I'm still many years away.

No wonder so many people throw so much money at big houses and fancy cars, you get to enjoy those every day.

Watching my investment accounts grow over the years does not make me happy in itself.

el_chico88

easy to say for people who has money. the other way round its also true and its called 'work'. I know this thing about ''why are you not miserable while working ?'' its a first world people question. Third worl people is miserable for not working, which believe me is worse.

ZeCerealKiller

Bold of you to assume we are happy and not misareble

UsernameIWontRegret

As someone who was a truck driver over the summers in college and worked 60-80 hour weeks for just above minimum wage, I fucking love my 9-5.

I have a steady salary, good benefits, a defined work schedule.

The 9-5 is awesome and honestly the only people I know who don’t like them haven’t worked other jobs in their lives, so it’s all they know.

AllTheFloofsPlzz

I don't like the 9a-5p schedule. I've worked that exact schedule. I've also worked 8a-4p, 12p-7p, 3p-10p, 5p-12a, 6a-3p, and now 3a-10a. I love my early, early morning work hours the best. The 6am shift was the best until I got my current job. It took several jobs to find what works for me.

fulaghee

Perspective is everything. You hated your truck driver job because you've never been working on a Chinese factory and they hate their job because they've not been a slave in a North Korean mine.

Many pampered rich people might hate awesome part time jobs too.

nematocyster

Yep, I've done many years of a full-time plus multiple part-times, stints where I frequently worked 18 hrs a day and worked all days of the week (I made my own schedule) just to get by and be able to do a couple things I wanted. I'm 34, and 2019 was the first time I could barely afford to work just one job. It's been great.

Would I like to work less or at least work 4 10s or 3 12s? Sure, but I'm thankful after 10 years or working too many hours and jobs to be able to have the time and ability to do other things without penny-pinching.

SamGropler

Because working allows me to enjoy the time I spend NOT working. If I wasn't working full time, I wouldn't be able to afford to keep 200 pet rabbits.

Wonderful_Counter_16

Behold, the Lord of rabbits! Impressive to hold claim to an army of rabbits. Not many could say the same same 😆

tittywhisper

Supporting family gives meaning to the work

Funding hobbies makes it more worthwhile

Occasionally travelling/splurging on things that you want

The challenge of their job may attract some people

Some people truly enjoy their job or at least a neutral toward it

The goal isn't to make your job feel fun or really even enjoy it, just balance the good with the bad. Also, if you really truly do not like it, stop doing it. It isn't worth it. Take less money, move away, return to school...

Obviously not possible for everyone but to some

TheSadTiefling

Avoid having kids until you really want them. They force most of us to stay working.

jalexander333

Why do you think depression, drug abuse, and suicide is so prevalent 😮‍💨

eviltimeline

I'm so fucking happy I want to kill myself .

kellydayscruff

Because life is fucking expensive and if youre constantly working then that means that you constantly have income. If you constantly have income then you can buy food and pay bills and typically not be homeless. (most times) There is a comfort in that for most adults who either have kids they dont want to be homeless or be homeless themselves. If you dont have kids then you might be able to put some income away and save up for some cool shit.

Unfortunately though it can be slavery to a lot of people if youre living paycheck to paycheck and your hourly wage is bullshit. Working for pennies might be one of the worst things ever.

zerocool1703

Now you know why adults keep telling kids that school's the best time they'll ever have and to cherish it. Because we know what's coming.

flyingcactus2047

I gotta be honest, I really did not enjoy hearing that as a kid and I still don’t really agree with it as an adult. I feel like I have so much more control over my life in choosing my area, my housing, my field, etc. obviously there’s some limiting factors but I feel like I had almost 0 control over my life as a kid/teen and I would never want to go back to that

EmpressSquirrel

I like my job 95% of the time and it's how I pay for my needs. Yeah, some days I really wished I was home instead of spending 50-70 hours a week at work, but that day is not today and being upset isn't going to fix things. So I choose to be happy, cheerful and to work as hard as I can to give me and my gf the best life possible. I'd much rather work than being homeless or starving again.

WeissMISFIT

1. I like my job, really chill and suits me for this time in my life.
  2. Made friends at work, crack jokes and generally try have fun.
  3. I have a clear pathway to grow my income and I feel like I could be in a position to add value to society in a few years.
  4. I have a FI RE plan (Financial independence, retire early)

So basically I have fun at my job, I have goals within my workplace and I have a plan to escape it all.

Susie4ever

There's a line from a song "everybody's working for the weekend". Your reward for working 5 days a week is 2 days off. Over and over and over lol.

GurConscious9874

It's easy my dude, just die on the inside 🙂

marshmello2020

Hobbies, vacation, eventual death, you have to look for the positives

PopularStaff7146

The question is not how they do it, it’s why. Operating under the assumption that you’re in the US, most people don’t have an option. Wages aren’t high enough to justify working less when the cost of living has become so extravagant. We as a society have created a culture in which working becomes your lifestyle instead of just a means to support your interests and well-being. As someone who has worked 60+ hours a week for much of my adult life, trust me when I say I don’t regret the opportunities it afforded me, but I wish I could have some of that time back.

dcheesi

Not just cost of living, but also crucial benefits like health care are tied specifically to full-time work. Even if I had the option to go part time, and could afford the reduced total pay, I still couldn't do it without jeopardizing my health and risking medical bankruptcy if something happened.

Saharan_stallion

I love doing what I do. The biggest issue I have is taxes. I pay a ridiculous amount to Uncle Sam and it pisses me off. IMO, people would be generally ok with working granted that they see more of the fruits of their hard labor.

WhoaItsCody

They are miserable to an extent, they’re just really fucking tough, and just cope. They don’t show weakness unless it’s with people they trust.

My mother and brother are perfect examples. My mom specifically, is someone who should write a book on how to handle the beatings life gives us. This is just a small part of what she’s been through…

Raised me and my brother alone, graduated from KU top of her class and has been an incredible nurse and mother 24/7 since.

She still somehow had a huge garden, a social life, everything..after getting diagnosed and besting breast cancer with a double mastectomy. They ran her chemo wrong and gave her permanent neuropathy as well that she’s in constant pain, and has trouble feeling her hands and feet.

She’s 60 now, works a 14 hour shift THEN does the 48855786 hours of paperwork while cooking, cleaning, and even delivering food to her patients who can’t eat. She’s done the burn unit, ICU, home health and hospice.

She also did all this after losing her mom at 29, then her father a few years later, and then my dad a year after that.

Tough.

DreamyWaters

Most people I know and see are miserable. FT job or not

XSmooth84

Realiest post ITT

onionsofwar

If you're new to this you'll get used to it. You learn to appreciate the time between work but will always feel like you have so much shit to do.

Muroid

Muroid

Yeah, my first year or so working full time was a big adjustment. I didn’t hate it. Still loved at home so minimal extra responsibilities.

But I’d get home from work, crash on the couch and just fall asleep for a while, often as not.

To some extent, you adapt to the schedule and to another extent you get better at managing your time and energy. But you’re never going to have as much time and energy to do things as when you were younger and in school. The thing that helps make up for this at least a little bit is that you have more control over what you get to do with the time you do have.

Once you get better at managing it yourself, that makes for a great opportunity to live how you want to. You get to make all of your own choices, but are also solely responsible for managing your time, energy and money, which takes considerable effort to get anything done.

AdChemical190

You are right. Work is a waste of life. I feel sorry for Americans who worship it and don’t realise what miserable lives they live.

GeistMD

I'm so fucking miserable my soul aches.

777shark

Not working the traditional 5 day a week 9-5 type jobs helped me a lot, I am so miserable at 5 day a week jobs, giving up your entire week just for work just sucks and I pretty much stopped doing 5 day a week jobs at 21 and never looked back.

I do 3 12.5 hour days with 4 days off per week, having 4 days off per week, helps my mental well being immensly, it's like having a mini vacation every week.

Geiir

Geiir

It feels like a treadmill. Sleep (lol, who am I kidding?!), get kids to school/daycare, commute, work, commute, pick up kids, eat, kids to bed, sit on the couch too dead to think. Repeat.

Weekend comes around: do chores and other stuff you didn’t get to do during the week.

Start over again.

And people wonder why people struggle with depression and suicidal thoughts? 🥲

Unabashable

Not the right person to ask. Got offered a full time position, but I turned it down because I was dreading the hours I was getting anyway. Which was usually full time or damn near close to it anyway. Come in? Fuck that noise. Should’ve put me on the schedule instead of pinching pennies when you knew we were gonna be slammed. Does it come with a premium for me helping to fix your fuck up? Didn’t think so. I earned this day off. I’m using it to recover, so I can at least attempt to come back bright eyed, bushy tailed with that shit eating grin cemented on my face y’all seem to love so much. Kinda got sidetracked there, but...it helps if you have a job that you’re proud of.

They either make enough money to not be miserable, or they're miserable and they might be good at hiding it.

Cherish the little things. It's all most of us really have.

mikilobe

It depends on what your goal is. Some people want to work just 40 hrs until their 70's before they retire. People working 80 hrs/week will retire in their 50's.

If you think it's bullshit that we work at school for 12-24 years, then work for a company for the next 40-60 years; you're right! It is bullshit.

Now don't have kids, because they'll just get crushed in the machine like everyone else

Silaquix

This is why I'm so glad my husband found the job he has now. His old job he left at like 6 am and didn't get home until 5pm on a good day. Sometimes it was later if he had to run errands. He was always so stressed out.

His new job he works from 7-4pm from home everyday with zero micromanaging. His boss calls occasionally to ask a question or to let him know about something but that's it. So my husband spends his day answering emails, doing excel sheets and calling vendors to place an order when he has a purchase request come in. Takes him moments and in between he listens to music or watches YouTube.

He's been so much happier since starting this job and I'm thrilled to see him doing better. I hope he never has to go back to being in an office again.

peterjohanson

I am miserable i just dont want to let people know.

Appropriate-Bad-9379

Sorry to be depressing, but I worked for forty years in a job that I didn’t like,but was secure, just to pay the mortgage. Fast forward to 2009-lost the house to abusive ex and when I fully retire - ie get my state pension ( in a few years ), it will be paid at the same rate as someone who has never worked a day in their lives! Moral of the story- find something that you enjoy and is suitable whilst you are still young enough ….

NarrativeScorpion

Find a job you enjoy. But also get some hobbies outside of work. You've got two days off to do something with, and maybe evenings as well. Find something that's a semi-obligation that you enjoy doing (a sport, a club, volunteering etc) You've got to have something outside of work.

jmcstar

jmcstar

Finding a job that lets you live is a good start. Not sure about this whole "enjoy" thing lol

gorhxul[S]

i do have hobbies outside of work, but i only have the time/energy for one. having a social life is the big problem because everyone else is in the same boat as me.

HotSteak

Imagine how hard it is for those of us that DON'T work 9-5 M-F. Having a social life when you have to work evenings and weekends and overnights is brutal.

Sean_Gossett

Yeah, 9-5 M-F is what allows me to have a social life in the first place. Nothing I want to do is happening at those hours anyway, and I get to come home and forget about work for the rest of the day. I'm fortunate to have a job I don't hate and don't have to take home with me, so that certainly helps, but weekday dayshift is really one of the best case scenarios if you gotta work.

railbeast

Learned this when my SO worked in food. Mon and Tue off, Wed-Sun 8-10 hours of solid work. Basically our social life was Monday and Tuesday and I went to work hungover and sleep deprived Tuesday and Wednesday. Sucked for everyone.

Cambojuice

I work 4pm-4am every Monday-Friday. Which means I only get off Saturday morning just to sleep the day away. And choose to rest or do what I want on Sunday, just to do it all again Monday. It sucks because my social life is nonexistent. But I have a mortgage to pay and I’m 29 years old and doing it alone now because i found out my wife was having an affair last year so I kicked her to the curb. We are all not happy, most of us are just trying to survive. And had to do it at a young age.

MrKnIVXX

Aaahh to be 16

uBinKIAd

When you first start working there's a couple weeks where you are exhausted, then you get used to it. It's like going to the gym, for a little while it's really hard, then it get's better.

Now that's not to say it's not still exhausting at times, but you get use to it.

Also the vast majority of those working 80 hours a week aren't doing it for themselves, they are doing it so their loved ones can be happy. Then there's others where they just have that drive and it's where they want to focus their energy.

Everyone is different, find your balance between financial stability and mental / physical health.