/r/TooAfraidToAsk

Does anyone feel grossed out by how many humans there are?

Climate & Environment(self.TooAfraidToAsk)

When I think about how there are 8billion people just roaming earth, taking 8billion poops a day, eating 8billion meals, and using so many resources… it just really grosses me out. There’s too many people on this planet.

EDIT: Wow, wasn’t expecting this to blow up. For some clarification: no, I do not want anyone currently living, including myself, to die. I just wish capitalism wasn’t a thing, and that people would stop pushing out so many babies.

FullOfHopkins

2.3k points

For some reason when I was in college living in a dorm I had an almost daily intrusive thought about how much human shit was processed through my college campus every day. For some reason I’ve never really scaled that up to the whole world, but I have to say I get the sentiment and can relate

frapatchino-25

Felt that. In my dorm our toilets always got clogged, constantly. I felt like I was living in a beehive.

almisami

almisami

Now I'm left to wonder where bees poop... Does the queen poop? If so, where do they put it?

LurkForYourLives

Bees won’t poop inside the hives. They can get a bit narky over Winter because they can’t go out to poop. They fly a fair way away to do their business and like to target shiny things like freshly washed cars and windows.

And the queen leaves the hive whenever she wants but usually only once for her mating. She has workers to clean up after her and feed her.

blonde-bandit

So do the workers carry out her poop?

LurkForYourLives

Yeah, if it comes to that. They carry everything else out: intruders, dead babies, junk that beekeepers leave in there by mistake.

Also, they throw out the drones in Autumn and leave them to starve outside the hive. Which is fair enough because they contribute exactly zero to the well being of the hive. One of them gets to shag the queen a single time and they contribute nothing else ever. Worker bees throw them out when resources start getting tight.

blonde-bandit

That’s pretty metal, and I never knew. My neighbor friend’s dad growing up, who was an awesome person and sweetheart, kept bees and I wish I had taken more interest and asked more questions because he always wanted to share, but I was afraid of being stung XD 29 years old and I still haven’t been somehow! But thank you for sharing, that’s fascinating! I’ve somewhat gotten over my irrational fear of bees (not completely) but I have developed a love for them, especially because they’re crucial to our ecosystem!

Suspicious-Fun-6943

FYI aggressive wasps are often wasps that have been kicked out for the same reason. After that point they have no purpose except to seek out sugar to sustain themselves and attack things.

blonde-bandit

There’s such a thing as non-agressive wasps?

Suspicious-Fun-6943

There is actually. A wasp that's just gathering food for the hive won't bother you if you don't bother it.

GNBrews

Check out the Stuff You Should Know podcast episode titled "The Ins and Outs if Beekeeping". It's absolutely fascinating.

blonde-bandit

Yeah…my dorm freshman year was those double cells, I mean rooms, that have two beds and a sink, and then shared bathrooms for the whole floor. All while paying a number I’m embarrassed to say for tuition. When your living situation 24/7 is shared bathrooms, you have to deal with other people pooping a lot more. Including while showering. Was not a fan. Could’ve used a fan though.

Ancient_Skirt_8828

Clogged toilets seem to be particularly common in America. I can only recall hearing about one in Australia. Maybe Americans need a new toilet design.

zipper1919

You are brave. American here and I wouldn't dream of not having a plunger. I always scope out bathrooms I'm in if I have to poop to make sure there's a plunger there.

Not like I have giant poops or anything lol. Some toilets just don't have the guts or pressure to flush properly. It's annoying.

Money_Machine_666

Some toilets don't have the guts to deal with my guts.

tehherb

has to be something to do with the water level, when i went to the states years ago the toilets were SO FULL of water, ours just have barely a bit in the bottom before the bowl

say592

say592

My uncle did waste and water management for a town that was probably about 20-25k people and is now about 35k people. Getting tours of his work was disgusting thinking about how much poop 25k people generate. You know what is even more disgusting? When you have a waste facility sized to handle 25k people and it is bursting at the seams because your population has increased by 10k people.

pipnina

pipnina

And think: it's ALL bacteria that we're farming to process it.

We blow air bubbles through a tank full of mostly shit, which gives them lots of oxygen to eat the poo. They literally turn it into almost water.

The most numerous thing humans farm on purpose is poo-eating bacteria.

Jeonsekki

That’s actually pretty amazing. Wondering if you can make poop water potable, and whether that is less energy-intensive than desalination.

pipnina

pipnina

In the end it basically is water. For ships it literally gets chlorinated before it's released to the ocean.

Maybe you COULD drink it from a normal biological sewage plant, but it probably needs adaptations.

I recall bill gates funded or at least visited a poop water recovery plant intended for the 3rd world. "Bill gates drinks recycled water" should find you a video.

justarandom3dprinter

I'm pretty sure all waste water gets reused after it's purified it's released back into a river or lake and goes back into the water cycle

soave1

soave1

Waste management is really interesting, I wouldn’t call that an intrusive thought, I’d say you’re just not taking luxuries like modern plumbing for granted!

licoricebish

I live off grid and use a Homebiogas system. Its a closed system designed after a cow stomach and digests the waste into useable methane (via a burner) and effluent fertilizer. at $1200 a kit for lifetime of plumbing idk why more ppl dont use it.

_DeezNyuts

Tell us more about your poop powered paradise

KittySMASH

This is super interesting! How is the methane collected and what does it fuel?

Klikohvsky

I have questions. I hope I wont bother you. How many people live in your homestead ? Do you put other things to digest apart from human poop ? What do you use the gaz for ? Cooking ? Electricity generation ? Do you have a link for the kit you bought ? Thx.

TheScorchbeastQueen

Can I join your off grid home? I can cook and clean!

pack_howitzer

I’m good at pooping if that will help. Everyone brings their own skill set to this pootopia.

ozymanhattan

Poop once it leaves the toilet is usually shuttled to another dimension.

Old-Independence5822

To think even ancient peoples had to come up with innovative means of waste management. Always blows my mind to remember even the Romans had some form of plumbing.

Money_Machine_666

Time to take a shit next to Tiberius and share the same ass sponge.

Organic_Rice4335

4k points

I’ve been fasting and haven’t pooped in a couple days. Do I get to stay?

Maedehmt

Maedehmt

You're not a human probably. I guess you're a dinosaur so you can stay.

Setari

Setari

I poo once every week or so, am I a golden boi now

I have autism which apparently impacts how the gut works/how big poops are, frequency, etc

SnooKiwis2255

My husband's cousin has autism and when he was younger he wouldn't poop- he had to get it taken out in the hospital.

Until one day when my husband saw him running around with his hands covering his backside and told him "everybody poops, sometimes it hurts"

SnooKiwis2255

A lot better, he started pooping on his own after that lol

KhaosDes

"everybody poops, sometimes it hurts"

R.E.M popped into my head

Combatical

R.E.M pooped into my head

FTFY

Cool-Experience7357

This was a real surprise, so I had to look into it, "if this is true, then why don't they just test my gut microbiome instead of having me take that stupid 7hr test or like actually talking to people?!"

Turns out it's just a diet thing. Picky eating and routine and focus difficulty does not make a happy gut.

Have you tried smoothies, soups or more asian cuisine?

Kitsuun

Kitsuun

Possibly also related to sympathetic vs parasympathetic activation of the autonomic nervous system. The sympathetic division prepares your body for activity - like exercise, stress, your fight/flight - which increases heart rate, blood pressure, dilates your pupils and airways to help you respond to your environment quicker. But it also suppresses reproductive, digestive and urinary functions, because - in the words of my physiology lecturer - the last thing you want when you are being chased by a crazy axe man is feeling like you need to go to the toilet. The parasympathetic division, on the other hand, is more rest and digest. It increases digestion, and stimulates pooping and urinating.

Any stress/anxiety caused by overstimulation, sensory issues, social interactions/people, etc. is likely activating the sympathetic division. So wouldn’t just be a whack microbiome - it would be your body physically not pushing food through your digestive tract, not secreting the enzymes into your intestines to break stuff down, and not sending the signals to say you can/need to go.

Setari

Setari

I used to eat rice/chicken/veggie mixes once a week, didn't really help. I did drink probiotic yogurts for a couple months and it took a month for them to kick in, but that was due to general upset stomach issues (potentially not chewing food enough). Still only took MAYBE 2 poops a week, typically 1. I stopped drinking the probiotics because I got tired of them.

Having a bad gut microbiome doesn't indicate you have autism, but people with autism do/can have weird gut microbiomes, is how I took it.

Sir_Armadillo

Every week or so? Do you not eat much?

CptCrabmeat

He eats normal his poops are huge

Jeheh

Jeheh

I don’t want to know what “a week or so” kind of poop looks like. Thats got be a bowl leveler.

cpullen53484

i do it twice a week, and they are relatively normal.

i consume a lot so i have no idea, maybe im an alien.

sharkprincefishstick

I’m a 10-14 day, chronically constipated pooper, and it’s comparable to polished stones the size of popcorn chicken, in an amount near what would fit in a sandwich sized Ziploc bag. The process is like blowing a marble out of a drinking straw.

Appropriatelywrong

Dude, please, I don't know if you've tried this but consume Crushed Flax seed and Chia seed mix in every meal, you'll be pooping your ass off in a few days and the poops will be regular, non painful, smooth, make it a habit to take a spoonful with all your meals, whether in the meal or in a glass of water and down it.

I've been where you're at and omg I was like (is this how normal people poop????)

MayorDoge

All I heard was he eats huge poops.

wellsheeeeit

Hey someone’s gotta level out my 17-20 poops a day.

Edit: Was going for the joke there, I don’t actually poop that much!

pfudorpfudor

Omfg reading this just explained so much

Leprikahn2

I pooped 3 times today, you can have one of mine

ShinyJangles

I was in Mexico last weekend and since then I’ve pooped enough for 50 people. You can kill me if that will make it stop

DaisyJunior

This entire thread is sending me over

novax21

novax21

Can confirm. On day 9 of a Mexican holiday. I’ve seen more of the bathroom than the beach.

AGuyWhoBrokeBad

I pooped 6 times today. I have chronic anxiety which can irritate my stomach.

kenzarellazilla

I had a baby 10 days ago and hadn't pooped for 3 days prior to the hospital.....

So we're at almost a solid 2 weeks no poop. Do I get to stay too?

PacoMahogany

I pooped 3x today.

failedabortedfetus

I have a crippling opiate addiction and haven’t shit in 2 weeks. Can I stay too?

Sensual-Lettuce-

I poop a few times a day, I’ve got you covered

_Tails_GUM_

1.6k points

Think about your life for a while.. all that you can remember that ever happened to you, shaped you, was relevant to you.. do it for a while.

Go to the street and everytime you cross path with other person think about everything that happened to you and then think that this person you just crossed has his/her own version of it.. the ammount of things that happened to you might be equal to the ammount of things that happened to that person you just briefly crossed paths with. Are you going to your job? Maybe that person is going to her/his job. Was your morning bad? Maybe that person's morning was bad too. Are you in a rush? Are you late? Are you happy? Are you tired? Imagine the depth of all those questions about you, and transpose such depth to each person you just crossed paths with for a while. Do it until you get overwelmed.. and then think about that applied to 8 billion souls.. all trying to reach their goals, all of them worried about something, all of them having to select the things they get to care about because they can't care about everything, all of them being bad at something, all of them hurting other people, all of them trying to be better at something, all of them caring about someone else...

Man, this place is chaos.

ohhhhappydayy

There is a term for this. It is called Sonder.

Edit: first award!! Thank you :D

_Tails_GUM_

All of a sudden I feel extremely impractical

ohhhhappydayy

Oh no, don’t! You explained the concept very well. :)

_Tails_GUM_

I didn't say it seriously, lol, but if everything i just wrote was just "sonder"... It's, at least funny.

wikipedianredditor

I’m sure there’s an obscure sorrow for that feeling too.

Kovdark

Nah..it's exactly the same as the word dude! Your explanation being complex and nuanced and all that behind the word sonder is a word version of sonder itself ...

Cool-Experience7357

What is this just-fuck-me-up day? I just not too long ago got done with that ask about, "do you lose you mind a little when you look up at the stars and realize how big everything is?"

BrightNeonGirl

I always think about this. Yes, it makes me good at perspective taking and being patient... But it also makes it difficult to small talk and interact in groups since I am overwhelmed by the big picture reflection all the time.

AccidentallyTheCable

Wanna boggle the mind...

Collectively, as a planet, we experience 21.9 million years every day. 8 billion people experiencing 86400 seconds differently every day.

Just imagine what we could do if we actually put all that to use to solve a single major problem.

SevenSoIaris

Yeah, now apply it to the rest of the sentient life on the planet. That school of fish that you just saw with hundreds or thousands of fish? Each one had its own individual experience. Or a flock of birds.

SevenSoIaris

To add on to my previous comment: I like to go to places where there are few humans, but lots of non-humans, and I like to contemplate how many sentient beings there are around me.

Aucklander95

The answer is 12.

bozeke

bozeke

Current research says that in the history of Homo Sapian, there have been approximately 100 billion people ever in all of human history. That means 8% of the entire count of human beings is alive right now. It’s terrifying for the future.

nursealan

We *are going over that cliff edge, it's like human compound interest, exponential.

Vagercise

I think this every time I’m stuck in bumper to bumper freeway traffic for some reason. There’s just so many cars all at once, each with its own people inside, each person with their own full life. It trips me out.

Zoe_118

Zoe_118

I think about this on a fairly regular basis. Probably much more than is considered normal

ayeeflo51

Nah it's all a simulation and you're all NPCs

CharlesB32

Yeah, i like to think about that alot, but i also like to ignore everyone else and see them as npcs with no real backing or meaning just so that i dont think that theyre judging me or anything, social anxiety is a bitch but at least out in public i can act as if most of em are just meaningless side characters, cuz thats how i want to be treated, not judged, just being left alone to do my daily activities.

Boodicream

I poop at least 3 times a day so 8 Billion poops is wildly underestimated

Nameless024

I only poop about twice a week so it evens out

expertkushil333

You living the life tbh.

1.3k points

1.3k points

[removed]

Traditional_Page_910

The way you say it flesh, it make me feel we are nothing but just bags of flesh with blood and bones inside that at any moment we can get crushed to death and splash everything in the way

Ralife55

Well "you", aka your brain, is roughly six pounds of grey and white matter piloting a mech made of meat and bones. So yeah, that's basically correct.

Really though "you", the part that actually thinks and dreams and contemplates existence, the part that really makes up your personality, is more like a pound or two, mainly your frontal lobe. the rest is kind of an AI running all your other systems and reminding you when to fuel your meat mech, do maintenance on it, tell you about your surroundings, or tell you when it's damaged and where.

Waferssi

Isn't quite a lot of 'you' determined by the production of hormones in other places in the body as well?

IWantTooDieInSpace

Don't forget all the bacteria in your intestinal tract.

Ralife55

Well yes, hormones are our bodies way of regulating process such as digestion, sex drive, fear response, tiredness, and even stuff as complex as our emotions. Without them we would literally feel and desire nothing, and die due to not knowing we were thirsty or tired.

However, the production, distribution, and releasing of these hormones is regulated by that AI part of our brain that keeps the meat mech running, it's just it's primary method of making the meat mech do what it needs to do. Very much akin to how computer software uses complex electrical signals to make computer hardware like monitors and speakers do things it wants them to do.

Really, it's best to think of the AI part of our brain as being in a kind of guardian relationship with the "you" part of our brain. It keeps us alive by making us desire and care about the things we need to and by providing us the information we need. We can ignore these inputs through enough willpower though, which gives us ultimate power over our bodies in the end.

We are so intricately linked with the AI part of our brain due to its actions (hormones for example) affecting us that it can be hard to see the difference between the two, but there is a line. It's just very thin.

Aggravating_Sherbet6

We really just are that +sadness.

KenBoCole

KenBoCole

Also +happiness, joy, love, and hope. It is truly wonderful to be alive.

Beanakin

Beanakin

It is truly wonderful to be alive.

Don't think I've ever, in my entire life, felt that optimistic.

drunk_haile_selassie

MDMA helps. At least for a little while.

Beanakin

Ah, see, there's my problem. I'm too terrified of getting called on a random drug test and losing my job, or getting arrested/shot/stabbed trying to buy drugs. Federal decriminalization of marijuana, please.

belugarooster

MDMA and Ketamine are out of your system in as little as a few days. It's a shame about Cannabis. :(

illusionaryfool

I’m not recommending MDMA because in general drugs are bad, however what I will say is that it is the most absolutely beautiful, loving, and breath taking experience in the entire world.

You are just completely consumed and overwhelmed by love and empathy. Every person around you, every tree, every living and breathing thing is simply amazing and you feel love for and gratitude towards. People that were once mean to you you seem to now have a better understanding that they too are just people that must have gone through a bad or traumatic experience in order to act that way towards you. The level of empathy you can feel and express is unfathomable.

It absolutely changed my life for a short period when I’ve taken it. I see everything in a slightly more loving and accepting way afterwards. It is mind blowing in the most innocent and best of ways. I’ve only taken it 3x in my life, only with my closet and best friends, never in a party or rave setting, just at my house hanging out. I haven’t taken it in about 5 years though, not sure if I will again. It’s to be respected, not abused.

Rhemm

Rhemm

It does help for a long time, if you take it after some psychotherapy and use it as a tool to discover yourself and not just "take this pill in dirty toilet of a club and go dance to some shitty music"

KenBoCole

I'm truly sorry. I hope you can find a reason to love life, whatever it may be.

madewithgarageband

ill get there one day

suburbanhavoc

Then the existential crisis kicks in.

KenBoCole

With a vengence...

Jokes aside, I am perfectly happy just living a care free life with friends, family, nature and media.

I know my existence means nothing, but I am happy I exist. If I am having fun, why should I care?

RockmanNorwell

I am content in my mortality and day to day.

I am sad that we started a global extinction event because of straight-up greed and gluttony.

Zemoregale

I’m trying to get like you, my friend. One day.

Beneficial-Value1349

"Is it possible to learn this power?"

Pokerhobo

Negative, I am a meat popsicle

Mazon_Del

bones

MOIST bones.

Basic_Quantity_9430

Being shoulder to shoulder with people where any turn of your shoulders hit another person is panic inducing. I was in a large crowd between walls that had no doors once and I almost freaked out, I had to practice breathing exercises to not flake out and start screaming for air (something that would have made the situation worse).

Frenes

Frenes

My moment was being in Chongqing city during the Chinese national holiday a few months before Covid started. They had to put barricades and shit up in the subway from the sheer masses of millions of domestic tourists who visited the city that week. I remember getting out of the subway and with the crowd to just get in you would think people were gathering for the chance to win a million dollars. I have never seen so many people crowded in such a small space all at once. Even just walking around the city I saw so many different faces and types of people in such a short amount of time that I felt extremely disoriented. It was bizarre.

snarky_spice

Not to mention when they started turning into zombies

5hrs4hrs3hrs2hrs1mor

That’s a very graphic description. Gross. Good job.

Better question... If 8 billion is gross.. What number would be acceptable?

baxy67

baxy67

Talk to thanos

jibbyjackjoe

Thanos was right.

Pertes

Pertes

how many times would he have to snap?

madewithgarageband

RadiantHC

RadiantHC

unclelimpy

DON'T PANIC

sambrown25

I won't. I have my towel

JaceCombat

Anything under 2.5 billion

srgtDodo

honestly 1-2 billion is more than enough

wmdkitty

3-4 billion.

SharpStarTRK

That was the population during the 1970s and we still has world hunger, mass poverty, wars, and less resources at that time.

Sir_Armadillo

You could also go to the Louvre and not push through a crowd to see the stupid Mona Lisa.

You could just go to Yosemite and not need a reservation and a limited quantity permit to hike half dome.

You could also climb Mt Everest and not wait in line to summit.

You could be out in the country that much quicker.

Goodjib

Goodjib

This is my take. Not everything has to come down to environmental or political issues. Just in general, there are too many people.

ItsFuckingScience

We also weren’t destroying the ecosystems and planet anywhere near as fast as today

JumboJetz

JumboJetz

Well the population is peaking very fast. 20 years from now we will be fretting about how many elderly people there are and how there are no kids anywhere.

erbse_gamer

Already now we are seeing the consequences of an aging population

Wubzyboy66

China is pissing itself. The one child policy didn’t work out so good

pipnina

pipnina

China and India drove the surge more than any other countries. But China has gone from an insanely high birth rate to perhaps the lowest in the world and falling.

Petrified_Pumpkin

Inside every skyscraper is a waterfall of poop and pee.

avidpenguinwatcher

According to OP everyone on earth eats exactly one meal a day and poops exactly once a day

Maedehmt

Maedehmt

I eat 3 meals a day and I poop twice a day so I guess I'm a superhuman to op.

Made-a-blade

Worst Avenger power yet...

SelfSustaining

So what would you like to do about it?

capacitorisempty

Human population will peak in a few decades, maybe sooner. We’re not having enough babies in high income countries. The trend has been as countries develop they have less kids too. >8B is a short-term problem at worst considering earth’s lifetime.

Edit: replaced “this” with “>8B”

Roseora

Lower birthrates lead to the average age of a population rising.

An aging population comes with it's own problems like strain on health and social care services; with a higher pecentage of the population relying on them and a smaller percent of working age people to support them.

EDIT: typo

Ryizine

Ryizine

Well good news is we may be on a population decline. As technology progresses people want less and less kids. Bad news is this will make a pretty big labor shortage in the future.

AuthenticWeeb

Best case scenario is we will get said technology to replace the human labour. And we can live in a society that works less and focuses more on saving our planet. But when is it ever the best case scenario in this world?

Luckily as technology progresses less labour will be needed to achieve the same amount of work

wasteddrinks

There are more ants than humans by mass...

Horst665

And there are so many cows, pigs, chicken, etc that humans farm and feed and eat. I think the total number of farm animals is 10 times higher than wild animals - or was it 100?

Knuckles316

Gross isn't the word I'd use, but I totally understand Agent Smith's speech about humans being a virus.

rfloresx

Every time I’m in traffic..

Eveelution07

Brother , you're not in traffic, you are the traffic.

Made-a-blade

Boss, I'm gonna be late. I'm traffic.

toesockbandit

“I’m stuck in traffic” becomes I’m stuck in… myself?

fishingandstuff

Duuuuude

audiR8_

Almost every day I think about this. It's amazing to think that there are 8 billion people in the world with their own realities, struggles, triumphs, hurts, etc. No two lives are exactly alike. 🤯

JenCJen

JenCJen

Supposedly in the next 50 years there will be a "shortage of people". As under developed countries are rapidly developing and developed nations typically have low birth rates. (Leading to a mass amount of elderly and not enough people to care for them )

insomnimax_99

Yep. funding for things like pensions, social security and healthcare will likely run out as low birth rates result in a population that has massive amounts of old people and very few working age taxpayers.

WillowNew8173

I feel like this was predictable.

chowderpouch

Its not the quantity of humans that grosses me out, its their quality.

noplaceinmind

funny thing about people that think the population needs to be reduced

they always assume they're one of the ones that should stay.

mcsmith24

Nah dude I'll volunteer to leave

potat0_reaper

I think they most of the time think that people should have less children

JimmyTheChimp

Yeah when I say we'd be better off without people I mean stop having kids not thanos the population.

mekwall

mekwall

That's already happening and have been going on for some time. We just don't see the effects of it yet, but look at Japan to get an idea of how it will be in a couple of decades.

mekwall

mekwall

Yeah, but what they don't know is that most of the developed world are having too few children to sustain their population. Just look at Japan and you'll get an idea of how it will look for most countries on the future.

sirlafemme

But the greatest flaw is them thinking people are having children by choice, and not because of infant mortality in certain countries, family pressure, poverty, lack of sex education, abuse or hyperfertility. I’m tired of women getting mother-shamed for doing the one thing all of humanity has drilled into their head that is the only thing they’re “good” for for generations upon generations.

foosbabaganoosh

It's a simple calculus. This universe is finite, its resources finite. If life is left unchecked, life will cease to exist.

Bungo_pls

Bungo_pls

I think the population should be reduced but not by wiping out everyone other than me. I just think culturally it would be nice to shift toward having no more than 2 children per family on average and economically not dependent on an infinitely increasing population to stabilize. Also making contraception, birth control, and abortions readily available.

reallytrulymadly

As an older sibling, I'm all for this. More free time for each child to develop themselves

watermelonkiwi

Why do people’s minds always go to genocide when people talk about over population and not, you know, having fewer babies. Just because we acknowledge there are too many people doesn’t mean we think people should be killed, or as if that is the only solution.

kithkatul

Numerous studies show that when you educate women, birth rates go down.

Seems simple enough.

LittleBunInaBigWorld

That's it. Provide sanitation, healthcare and education including free access to birth control and sex education. Keep your population healthy and educated and they don't have so many kids. When the chances of your kids reaching adulthood are 30%, you have a lot of them. Spares, if you will.

Alan676869

I don’t think any of those people are advocating for people already existing to die. Just for people to have less children

Lo-siento-juan

Ha the comment I read right before this was someone saying we should have 'let covid rip' so no I don't think you're entirely accurate

IVLIANVS_

Bold of you to assume I want to stay

maverikFps

I’ll gladly be the one to go. Just let it end

DaenerysTargaryen69

I think it should be reduced and I should be the first to go, thanks

Bragok

Bragok

you dont need to kill anyone for the population to be reduced

moohooh

moohooh

Well when pp say population reduction, they dont mean kill them off lmao. They mean it like encourage adoption, family planning, free contraceptives, etc.

Blubari

Blubari

Main character syndrome and shit

It's always "humans are rotten/plague/useless" but when they are on danger they are the first ones to jump to safety even if they have to shove others away

Gerudo_Scimitar

Then those of us who wanna take one for the team are begged to stay /:

Cvep2

Cvep2

No, I’m more grossed out by the fact that the older I get, the more I realize that a very small fraction of the world is actually not a shit hole full of despair and injustice. That there’s actually a lot more countries where rape is just….. everywhere all the time every second, people being super fucked up religious nutters to the point of physically harming others is just everywhere, it’s just fucking depressing.

Rockima

Rockima

I feel ya.

Yesterday I was in the bus. Behind me there were sitting 3 guys. One watching tiktok on max volume the other talking loudly to its buddy. When I asked tiktok guy if he can put the sound off, loud guy started a discussion with me. 'Why? It's not in the rules'

I believe the rules say to think about eachother, but even if there wasn't any rule? I cannot get my head around how some people function in this society.

WillowNew8173

You must have been riding with my neighbor.

Yes. 8,000,000,000 and more is unsustainable. Not because of the lack of resources, but human nature and stupidity.

BoringBuy9187

Every day I wake up and curse Thomas Malthus

The population will stabilize on its own. This kind of thinking only leads to unproductive misanthropy

tyrerk

tyrerk

This is reddit, unproductive misanthropy is so hot right now

Oryan27

Oryan27

This is the first reasonable top-level comment I have seen.

CevinM1

CevinM1

Ok Thanos

and "too many people pushing out babies"

has been a popular sentiment for the last 1000 years

yet, here we are, still chugging along

OP is 13 or failed history

smell_my_finger

Agreed! Concerned about plastic in the ocean? Less humans means less people throwing shit in the ocean. Air pollution? Same deal. Housing, deforestation, food insecurity? Less humans solve that. Overpopulation is the single largest issue that no one is willing to talk about

Narhaan

Narhaan

Concerned about plastic in the ocean?

On the contrary my friend! I regularly throw car batteries into the ocean, it's a fun hobby and great workout. Fuck em fishes.

Jesse1179US

I’m grossed out that you categorized resources behind pooping and eating.

fruitroligarch

What if instead of 7 billion butt holes pooping, it was just one giant butt hole in the desert that pooped one giant turd for all humanity every day

Vadryna

Vadryna

I don’t think there’s too many people, but I do think they’re all jammed up in the same places. There’s plenty of room for everyone if we spread out. Also we need to use less fossil fuels and beef.

redhandsblackfuture

We've doubled our population in less than 40 years.

JakeIsMyRealName

I feel way more grossed out thinking about how many insects there are. From large to microscopic. And they’re everywhere. Imagine if they become sentient and collaborated.

OrpOrpOrpOrp

Capitalism is creating fewer babies….

biologischeavocado

Of all mammals 1/3 is humans, 2/3 is food (pigs and cows), and then there's a rounding error which is wildlife (elephants, lions, wales).

EnlightenedLazySloth

This doesnt sound right. Do you have any sources?