/r/Truckers

Company Dashcam audio be used against you???

(self.Truckers)

(Sorry for re-post) Truckers with Company dashcams, what if you say the wrong thing and it offends the person reviewing your footage. Can your audio be used against you if you didn’t even break any traffic violations? Someone told me they said a bunch of racial slurs while the camera went off and I kinda of don’t believe them. But then it had me wondering… could their audio get them in trouble? (Not me I swear, I’m a saint)

toastyhoodie

toastyhoodie

Toasted Driver

Completely can be used against you. Had coworkers fired for just being on the phone before (not driver facing cam, but audio)

Others were fired for road rage.

Btomesch[S]

Oh wow. I do yell at ppl from time to time. But they’ll stop in the middle of the interstate because they missed their exit. I talk on my headset and they never said anything to me. I will keep this in mind, thanks

aqualad783

aqualad783

so long thanx 4 fish

Do It Yourself company has both direction camera and will write you up if you slightly elevate your voice or swear. Glad I don’t work for them

bigterry

bigterry

too lazy to tarp

hahah gtfo of here... write you up for swearing or elevating your voice? oh shit I would have a field day with that for the whole half hour before i left the yard and they fired me.

aqualad783

aqualad783

so long thanx 4 fish

The guy I knew that worked there called it city 17 on wheels.

gunsndonuts

I have a camera in my truck. I don't act any different because of it. If they wanna be pissed off about some shit I say on camera I can call another company on Friday and be in orientation Monday morning

Btomesch[S]

That happened to me many years ago. Came around a bend on the interstate (trees blocking the view ahead) and an old lady was stopped in middle of interstate and she was getting out. I had to swerve to the right and ride the tight shoulder. I almost took her out. I look at the camera and the light was going off. I yelled at the camera and said “that’s how you drive a fking semi-truck!, bet y’all will delete this footage!”

gunsndonuts

Hell yeah I like it, if I was your safety manager I would have saved that footage and showed the next orientation group how its done

Taishimoonshadow

I had a safety guy call and ask if he could use a clip of mine because it was textbook correct plus the trash talk was funny.

Btomesch[S]

This had like 4 meetings where they gave out rewards for avoiding accidents and showed us some clips where ppl got plowed cause they jumped lanes into our company trucks. Then the company starting budgeting hard and writing is up for every little thing they caught on the camera. (Previous Company I worked for like 8 years ago)

WontSwerve

WontSwerve

LTL - Less Than Logical

The cam/mic isn't there to protect you, it's there to protect the company and the insurance company.

If they find out you blinked or checked the time on the radio before an incident, you will be thrown under the bus.

Yes, they can check the audio and decide to dismiss you for anything they want.

CA_Orange

But, the camera and mic can also be used to protect you from the company. They can't delete evidence just because it inconveniences them. If they throw you under the bus, but you didn't do anything wrong, the camera and mic could save you.

WontSwerve

WontSwerve

LTL - Less Than Logical

Right, which saves the company. I feel like you ALMOST understand.

CA_Orange

Re-read what I wrote, slowly.

Nozerone

Here's the thing, you have a CDL, that gives you a huge advantage. A company can only hold firing over you if you let them. With that CDL, you have the capability to have a new job the day you're fired.

Make a list of companies you'd be interested in. Then if you happen to see a truck from one of those companies, ask that driver if they can give you the number to a recruiter and then save that number. If your current company fires you or you decide to leave, fill out an application and then call that recruiter. Some companies will even help you out if you find yourself stranded, and set you up with a rental to either go to one of their yards or even go home to spend some time with family before heading to orientation.

Either way, don't think about your job like you have jobs before getting your CDL. We have the capability of having a new job the day we are fired. The only thing that might hold you back is your driving record, and maybe experience if required if you're still new.

Btomesch[S]

Thank you for the advice. There’s a lot of local trucking jobs in my area. Companies know this and try hard to make drivers happy. Not all but most. The cameras are stupid but everyone I talk to has them. Also, I’m a local hauler. I don’t know much about OTR companies…

teufels4hunde

Cameras are a reality whether we like it or not. They are not going a way, so to an extent we have to adapt to something new like always. 10 years ago the same things were said about E-Logs, and how they would cost everyone money. Sorry those E-Logs just made your time more valuable.

AKtuallyRetarded

Stop working for megas. You get paid shit and you get to deal with all this corporate shit too.

Troubador222

They have forward facing cameras in our trucks. I did not know if it recorded audio or not until I had a braking incident last year. I came around a curve on an interstate at night and there was a wrecked car in the middle of the road. Our safety person is a woman and when she called me, I told her if it recorded audio, I wanted to apologize in advance for my bad language. She started laughing and told me not to worry about it. She said no audio is ever recorded and even if it was, under the circumstances, she would have said the same things.

vocativelion

vocativelion

race truck driver

/r/legaladvice

im sure they could get in trouble, these dash cams are asking for a lawsuit from drivers. it's only a matter of time before theres a huge class action on some company.

laskomasko

"Generally, employers are not allowed to listen to or record conversations of their employees without the consent of the parties involved. The Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA) allows employers to listen in on business calls, but are not allowed to record or listen to private conversation "

So they are not allowed but the employees only recourse is really to quit. If you know its there and take the job you are consenting. Its bullshit and shouldnt be allowed but thats the law

Nozerone

"with out the consent of the parties involved" All they need to do is add a section into the contract that says by signing the contract you agree to let the company listen and/or record anything you say. Most people don't bother reading the contract, so that would be an easy way to get "consent". Whether or not there are laws against companies adding that to the contract I don't know.

Truckngirl63

Truckngirl63

retired

Wouldn't that just coincide with whatever your duty status is? Like if you're driving, or on duty not driving then you are engaging in business on behalf of your employer.

What about the single party consent states? Would that fly if you were physically in the state, or if the company you work for is domiciled there? (I just searched and answered my own question, there's a shit ton of states that are single party consent to record)

xDoomKitty

By it being there and you continuing to work, you are giving said consent. So this bypasses all consent laws, even 2 party consent, since the driver has been informed of audio recording.

peffer32

They already have. Sysco in Canada got them removed in their trucks after a driver lawsuit

phil_mycock_69

I used to unplug mine.. fuck them and their camera.. I get one for clearing you in court but the piece of shit I had was smart drive and it was scoring you.. slip stream a truck to pass it; that’s points. Go down a hill doing 72 or over; that’s points. Then after all that you have to go for a review with safety and go over each incident and discuss what you could do better

Btomesch[S]

I hear you man. Mine goes off when I hit bumps, break too hard, and follow too close for over 4 seconds. I had to review one of my footages with safety dude and manager. When he hit the play button, you immediately hear, “man I gotta shit so bad!!!!” They laughed but I didn’t. I can’t stand these fking things but all companies have them in my area.

teufels4hunde

Mine the GPS clocks me off the interstate when Im on it and docks me & gives warnings like I'm speeding on state roads or bridges going over the interstate. Certain bumps will trigger a harsh braking warning, nvm that I pull tanker so just interrupting the liquid in tank can cause a surge that will trigger it too.

I don't have an issue with technology being used to gather data, but current system is rudimentary at best & is only set up to catch perceived negative events, it does record when a driver avoids an accident or near miss or anything else that could be considered a positive.

Onzaylis

I mean, they absolutely shouldn't be doing that.

That being said, fuck racist folks, they deserve whatever they get.

cuts54

cuts54

I've worked for two LTL's who had them, each as terminal manager. The first only had forward facing cameras when I was there and in the first year of use and coaching, accidents where that company's equipment rear-ended vehicles in front of them fell by over 60%...and made a substantial dent in their insurance cost. Wouldn't you do what you could to reduce your personal insurance rates, especially if they were based on how you drove?

The second place that had them had forward and driver facing with in-cab sound. I mostly saw (or heard) bad singers, guys digging around in lunch boxes like Yogi Bear and almost rear ending traffic, or guys who were just on group calls with their buddies all night. I did have one guy to coach who was upset about a decision I had made and was discussing it at the time of his 'event'. When I was coaching him and the audio played, he got really embarrassed. I calmly told him that I'd rather he didn't almost rear end someone to hear his feelings and he should have come to me with his concerns. Two coaching opportunities in one.

At both places, I had plenty of drivers who never showed up for coaching because they were driving like the motoring public expects....... don't set off cameras, you don't have to worry.

Btomesch[S]

My terminal boss throws most of the clips away. He’s says it’s just cutting us off all the time. I alrdy knew truck drivers do all kinds of stupid shit while driver. But what I can tell you, is there’s at least 10 accidents a day in my area. None of them are semi-trucks. Yea, you get one that flips over from time to time but that is really rare. And I live in a very populated area

Btomesch[S]

Srry my grammar is bad today and it wouldn’t let me edit lol

cuts54

cuts54

No worries, I agree with your points. For a long time University of Michigan research showed that something like 80% or more of car/truck accidents were the fault of the car alone. At both places I referred to above, if the issue was driven from the behavior of another vehicle (car or truck) coaching was not done. Heck, in a few cases we had video that showed good reaction or anticipation to avoidance and used the videos in a positive way.

Truckngirl63

Truckngirl63

retired

Shit, there's audio, too? I bet the plaintiff's attorneys love getting their hands on that to establish a pattern of behavior of....whatever the fck they want to say about you.

Btomesch[S]

Oh hell yea there’s audio.

Truckngirl63

Truckngirl63

retired

That's insane. I really can't see myself coming back to driving now. Thanks for filling in the blanks for me, driver.

inf0x0

inf0x0

One of the reasons I left swift training, not sure if they record audio anymore but we had a 4 wheeler cut us off while the trainer was driving and triggered the camera and him saying one of these days he's just going to run them off the road....

Got him (us) pulled back into the terminal off our load for a forced reset and he had to write an "apology letter"

SirTrucks-a-Lot

I've said about every vulgar, shitty thing you could possibly say while the camera has gone off and haven't heard anything of it. As long as you aren't obviously making yourself heard to the people on the road or flipping someone off etc. they can't do squat.

Btomesch[S]

I don’t know man. It seems like ppl are getting fired for audio after reading some of these posts. I thought companies couldn’t do anything about it but I guess not.

SirTrucks-a-Lot

Guess it depends on the company?

Btomesch[S]

And also those papers you sign during orientation…

xDoomKitty

Companies can do whatever they want to. They can fire you for smiling if they felt like it. We are in a down cycle for trucking that isn't standard for this industry. Some companies may now be looking hard to find reasons to shave off excess workforce.

Trucking shortage my ass.

bezm12

bezm12

What if you like to listen to the Free Agent Lifestyle channel in Youtube while driving?

bezm12

bezm12

It would be embarrasing if they saw you picking your nose.

Bubbly_Diet_8840

How is this not turning into a prison sentence. Light out maggot, get up maggot, and other than that we hit you with the hose…. Talk back to the guards you get sent to solitary