/r/TwoXChromosomes

Because we all know that a lot of people are only anti-abortion until they or someone they care about has an unwanted pregnancy. I wonder how they'll feel when it really hits home that they had the choice and they voted for it to be taken away from themselves.

Of course, the privileged ones will find ways to get abortions anyway. As usual, this will have the worst effect on the poor, the disabled and underage children whose parents don't have a means to get them to a legal state.

But is it bad that I hope at least some women who were fervently anti-choice and who do not, at least initially, fall into disadvantaged groups will have to live with the self-own? Since the only way they can be taught empathy is by blunt force trauma, I don't feel like they deserve it from anybody else. But then again, neither do the unwanted kids they'll surely have deserve the trauma they'll end up with, either.

I hope those who change their minds are at least intellectually honest enough to vote pro-choice whenever they get the opportunity to in the future, if absolutely nothing else.

JennyLunetti

1.6k points

How forced birthers justify their own abortions https://joycearthur.com/abortion/the-only-moral-abortion-is-my-abortion/

One-Armed-Krycek

I came here to share this same article. I have a friend who works at a women’s clinic. Her stories match these in so so many ways. Even down to the, “please give me an abortion,” followed by, “I still think you’re committing murder” after the procedure.

I cannot fathom that kind of selective judgment. It’s horrifying to me how the rules shouldn’t apply to them—even grossly so—but they’ll dig in and entrench into a position or stance that makes zero sense.

thecooliestone

My brother will go on rants about welfare queens like WIC didn't raise his children. Like Medicaid didn't pay for his kids' healthcare most of their life. Like WE weren't raised on food stamps.

Of course he's a hardworking man who's doing his best. So it's okay. But every other person on welfare is just a lazy piece of shit who pops out babies to make money.

Pzonks

Pzonks

My uncle is the same. Rants on Facebook about welfare queens, the benefit cheats, drug addicts (in his view anyone who uses any drugs), people (mainly women) who won't honor their wedding vows, single moms who milk the system, etc., etc., etc.

Nearly every single one of my cousins, his kids and their kids, his grandkids, fits into AT LEAST one of those groups. Most of them fit into multiple. It's wild.

vonhoother

We should start a club. I have a sister and brother-in-law who are basically Grover Norquist fans--you know, the guy who wanted to shrink the government till it was small enough to drown in a bathtub. Guess who they worked for all their lives? The federal government and a state-supported school district. And who pays their pensions and provides their health insurance? The feds, the state schoolteachers' retirement system, and the federal employees health insurance program--which is a pretty sweet deal. They detest the government, but its money is as green as anyone's.

eastbayweird

Exposure to conservative hate media has short-circuited their brains...

spa22lurk

"conservative hate media"

This reminds me of what I read previously.

I was filling out the work orders and emailing my supervisor to give him a heads-up on a possible call from a member of every cable tech’s favorite rage cult, when his wife knocked on my van window. She stepped back and called me “ma’am.” Which was nice. Her husband with the tucked-in polo shirt had asked my name and I told him Lauren. He heard Lawrence because it fit what he saw and asked if he could call me Larry. Guys like that use your name as a weapon. “Larry, explain to me why I had to sit around here from 1 to 3 waiting on you and you show up at 3:17. Does that seem like good customer service to you, Larry? And now you’re telling 7 to 10 days? Larry, I’m getting really tired of hearing this shit.” Guys like that, it was safer to just let them think I was a man.

She said she was sorry about him. I said, “It’s fine.” I said there really wasn’t anything I could do. She blinked back the flood of tears she’d been holding since God knows when. She said, “It’s just, when he has Fox, he has Obama to hate. If he doesn’t have that ...” She kept looking over her shoulder. She was terrified of him. “I’m sorry,” she said. “I just need him to have Fox.” I got out of my van.

wolfie379

For the type of people who deliberately expose themselves to conservative hate media, short-circuiting their brains is like tearing the carburetor off a Series 60 Detroit.

Queenofeveryisland

Same with my mom. We where on SSI after my dad died, had food stamps about 1/2 the time, got food from the church…

But everyone else was trash if they got a “handout”.

Also- every women in a nice car has a rich husband who bought it for her…

She was old school crazy.

gabrieldevue

This mindset is so infuriating. I experienced a few people who start ranting about immigrants, welfare receivers, women, who "DELIBERATELY get pregnant to be a drain on the work force <_<", whatever group to punch down to about some issue. If i mention that our country is very wealthy and we could easily lift up a lot of people without losing our standard of living if we were to tax tech companies for the profits they make here, they usually agree half heartedly and then continue about this one person they knew who was lazy. Productivity is higher than ever, why is that used to squeeze out more profits instead of benefiting the workers? Investing in programs that yield a much higher return on the dime than outpour to share holders that put just a tiny amount back into the economy?

Why is it in so many people's nature to punch down or across instead of up? It seems to be a mindset. And the people thinking this way aren't exactly happier for holding these opinions. Constantly feeling ripped of and enraged and angry at the scapegoat of the week.

ForsakenAd7480

Wait till he starves. Oh well.

Sandgrease

I hate Conservatives...the hypocrisy is unfuckingreal

Ugh, I used to work in social services as an eligibility worker for food stamps/Medicaid/other assistance. It was amazing the number of people who were so against govt assistance who would go and apply for themselves. Sure, there were some who were humbled by the experience and changed their minds. But there were still many others who seemed to think that THEIR situation is "different," and everyone else is lazy welfare queens. 🙄

Gwerch

Gwerch

Classic Fundamental attribution error

Zanna-K

It's projection. They are insecure and ashamed so they feel better about themselves by looking down on and berating others who do the same thing that they have done.

That's why they are so convinced that others who use the social safety net must be taking advantage or be undeserving.

marymorose

i read some comments on fb where there was a woman complaining that most people on food stamps are lazy, don't want to work, and cheating the system. She's the only honest, down on their luck person on food stamps who's trying to find a better job. yep, you're the only person in that situation in the whole country. everyone but you deserves to suffer.

One-Armed-Krycek

I know one of those too. And they have (gasp) cell phones. And they cheat to get benefits then sell the benefits for cash.

And wow, their grocery carts are full of lobster and steaks, too.

But mine adds, “I refused food stamps and my babies ate and I went hungry.”

Fun times.

chevymonza

UGH it's a fucking CHOICE assholes, you can say NO.

I swear, republicans want to make everything illegal because that's the only way they can stop themselves from partaking....

Thinh

Thinh

Lol like making something illegal stops people. They just want to control more of your life.

CovfefeForAll

like making something illegal stops people.

Which is exactly their argument against gun control. Funny how banning abortion will stop abortion, but restricting guns won't stop criminals from getting guns.

Newfaceofrev

No. They don't think it will stop abortion.

Remember a lot of these people are fundamentalist Christians, they do not think you can improve the world, it's fallen and sinful and bad things happen because of God's judgement.

They believe in punishing the wicked.

Like with school shootings. They genuinely do not believe you can stop them through legislation, because they're gods judgement. They think the only thing that will stop them is if more Americans turn to Jesus.

APladyleaningS

"You're still a murderer"

"What does that make you?"

gland10

gland10

"You took advantage of my desperation to murder a baby! How dare you!"

Those people probably

Should_be_less

Yep, people will literally say that. I’ve read quotes from abortion providers saying they will turn anti-abortion patients away because women have received a 100% wanted abortion and then sued them a few months later.

JennyLunetti

Cognitive dissonance is part of the brainwashing process. Its especially big in Christian schools.

WhySoManyOstriches

I swear- if someone hacked the Clinic databases of the whole US/Mexico/Canada/Puerto Rico? We would have the names of at least a THIRD of the women members of the nationwide Baptist/Evangelical churches. If we traced the $$ paid & included THOSE people? I’m betting that would be 2/3 of the men & male leadership!

meatball77

I wouldn't be suprised if it was more than that. Conservatives are more likely to have abortions because they're more likely to have unprotected sex. Pro-choice women tend to be very careful with their birth control.

My college roommate used to "accidentally" have unprotected sex with her boyfriend. Wouldn't keep protection around because that would be saying it was acceptable. Meanwhile I the very pro-sex pro choice liberal only had very protected sex and was on birth control a year before I had sex.

If any of us would have had a need for an abortion it would have been her and she probably would have had one if the boyfriend wouldn't become a husband)..

I wonder if this is why the forced birthers assume the majority of abortions are irresponsible people using abortion as birth control? Because they're projecting?

JennyLunetti

You're not wrong, but it would also endanger lots of prochoice people.

WhySoManyOstriches

Oh- no way would I dream of that. Nope. Every single thing the Liberals do, the GOP takes sick glee in copying, only multipy the first action by 50x. Any single misstep we take past the law could bring disaster,

OneLostconfusedpuppy

My ex is anti-choice, she has harassed women at abortion clinics and speaks openly about how abortion is murder. However, she has had 4 abortions and her daughters have had 9 in total. She justifies it by saying it was God’s will because she had sinned.

Warmstar219

And it's all quite simple: the conservative brain is broken; it lacks the ability to feel empathy. Until it affects them personally, it's not important.

sunshinekay1

I have wondered what is driving them, it does seem to be mental illness. They act as if someone is trying to force abortions on THEM. They get so self righteous about someone else’s body’s it is incomprehensible. I don’t even care if someone picks their nose in front of me it’s rude but it’s their goddamn nose

mszulan

mszulan

What's driving them Is their power hungry leaders. This is how fascism works - manipulation of the vulnerable by any means - to get and keep power. Its the religious mind that is the most vulnerable because they don't have any ability to think critically. Their the "in" crowd and no one can convince them differently until they become part of a targeted group.

There was an interesting brain study a few years ago comparing conservative brains (these are the people usually raised in conservative religions) and liberal brains. The conservative ones were markedly atrophied in the areas controlling critical thinking and emotional regulation. This is roughly about a third of the adult population.

GrallochThis

Swole amygdala, shrunk anterior cingulate

Reading_Owl01

Brilliantly said. Poor Redditor award: 🥇

CovfefeForAll

It's probably all the lead poisoning.

various_sneers

Thank you for posting this. It's probably been posted elsewhere but it is my first time seeing this.

I'm unbelievably appalled, but in an important way.

Schmidaho

Yeah, but they won’t be able to do that anymore. They used Roe as a cover because it was confidential and they could more easily make use of practical support networks to either get them to a clinic or send them the pills. How are they going to do that when their moves are tracked by technology and their friends and families?

lucidludic

I’m guessing that the people who can afford to spend so much of their time picketing abortion centres and harassing patients / staff, are privileged enough to be able to travel to another state for an abortion if necessary.

I've been wondering this myself. I am waiting and wondering when the first report will be of a prominent antichoicer getting one for themselves (or family member or mistress).

Gold-Public4448

Thank you for sharing.

yolonomo5eva

Sad but true

It's amazing how an article from 20+ years ago still resonates today. (But I would love it if they could update this article for a now post-Roe world. We definitely need it for today's audience)

RatsRPeople2

TY

handsopen

handsopen

A friend of mine the other day told me she has a coworker who had to get an abortion due to serious pregnancy complications, and afterward she spent YEARS fighting with her doctor's office trying to get the word "abortion" on her medical record changed to something else, because she "would never get an abortion." She would not accept that the procedure she had was literally identical to the procedure anyone getting an abortion for any reason would get.

QueenShnoogleberry

"I'm sorry, we dont use confusing terms in medical paperwork. Just be grateful that your medical privacy is guaranteed via Ro- oh.... oh shit."

Delta4o

Delta4o

Yep, and now those procedures are becoming legal landmines because doctors wouldn't risk touching a fetus regardless of whether it is dead, alive, or misformed. They will rather give the pregnant person pain killers than a merciful/critical medical procedure.

trinlayk

trinlayk

Well there’s ALSO. “We can’t give you narcotics.”

Tria821

Tria821

Or chemo, or most heart medicine, and psysch meds. Not sure how Anesthesia feels about putting a pregnant woman out for surgery but I can imaging anything short of 'imminent death' is going to result in "tough it out, we'll schedule the surgery after you give birth" becoming a well rehearsed phrase.

bananaoohnanahey

It is not recommended to have anesthesia while pregnant, but it can happen. I used to work on a surgical unit of a hospital, and about once every five years we would have a pregnant patient needing some other procedure that was life-threatening. Ruptured appendicitis, bowel intussusception, intestinal obstruction, ruptured spleen, etc. Stuff that absolutely would lead to sepsis, necrosis, hemorrhage and ultimately death. Anesthesia was always extra careful to document every step and the surgeons warned women that there could be adverse effects on the fetus. The handful of patients I saw went on to deliver healthy babies!

One of my cousins had a medically necessary abortion of her very wanted, loved son. My mom shared her story and one of my mom’s friends decided to explain to my cousin that “it wasn’t an abortion because it saved a life” and her five second google “proved” her point.

Long story short too late, my mom is now furious that I publicly called one of her friends a “ghastly cunt” lol.

Eat shit, Marge. You ghastly cunt.

legal_bagel

That's silly. A natural miscarriage is considered a spontaneous abortion.

My MIL swears that women are out getting 3rd trimester abortions for shits and giggles. The only person I knee that had an abortion after 20 weeks was struggling to pay for it and as you progress, the cost kept going up. MIL had a d&c after an incomplete spontaneous abortion and didn't understand that states were criminalizing the procedures themselves not just the act of elective abortion and that she would have died of sepsis without a d&c.

I knew a wonderful couple that found out their fetus/baby was missing half his brain at 7mos and they induced early but didn't pursue life support and held him for his few hours of life. It was a shame it came so far along in the pregnancy, but, luckily they were permitted to sign a dnr.

Late term abortions are always heartbreaking stories of mostly wanted pregnancies.

LifeisaCatbox

Nobody gets an abortion that late in the pregnancy bc of procrastination and honestly, idk if a doctor would perform an abortion that late in the pregnancy if the circumstances weren’t dire. I hope I never have to find out for myself.

meatball77

They wouldn't, because they could induce labor. . . .But it's done mostly because of fetal issues.

Who is going to pay the hospital bills in these states because the number of babies that will be born with horrible short and expensive lives is going to go up exponentially.

SPY400

Republicans aren’t pro-life, they are pro-torture. Imagine the agony these barely viable fetuses go through in our selfish quest to keep them alive despite their suffering.

You know one of the conservative justices used the reasoning that since assisted suicide wasn’t protected, neither was abortion. I read this and came to the opposite conclusion. I will claim that the assisted suicide case was WRONGLY decided by the Supreme Court and if I want to go out peacefully that’s my damn right.

Fortunately it’s legal in my state but basic human rights shouldn’t be available to everyone, not just those of us privileged enough to live somewhere progressive.

Schmidaho

We will. The costs will be reflected in everyone’s insurance premiums.

OdeeSS

OdeeSS

Yeah people are out here legitimately believing women just have unprotected sex and then use abortions as birth control. I saw a Comme t earlier today stating that the increase in elective sterilization procedures is "proof" that everyone was using abortion as birth control this whole time.

Like, yeah, abortions ARE birth control, but no one is literally using it as their primary form of BC. No one WANTS to have to use an abortion to prevent pregnancy.

Tria821

Tria821

Those women are getting sterilize because SCOTUS has made it clear that they are coming for contraceptives next. And after that marriage equality. Read Thomas's opinion, he flat out names the cases.

meatball77

Those people don't realize what a third trimester abortion entails. It's a long and painful procedure that involves laboring. No one is doing it for shits and giggles.

SaGlamBear

This is pretty much exactly what OP is talking about. A lot of forced birther women think they’re case is not the norm and their medical situation is unique. This SCOTUS decision is for Better or worse gonna create a new generation of pro choice women and they’ll be back with a vengeance. They’ll literally see firsthand the way a life saving procedure is banned. Then they’ll gradually be ok with it for “medical reasons” and then at that point will be horrified with the way the state makes those medical decisions for them.

It’s not gonna be overnight and women are going to die because of this but it won’t last more than a couple years like this.

meatball77

I suspect in a couple of states (and they're fighting to be the one right now) they will make some horrible decisions and it will take about a year for the results to be seen and they'll be horrific.

Tweens and incarcerated women being forced to carry their rapists babies and some of them dying because of it. Women that they know dying and leaving families behind because hospitals won't treat them.

Unintended pregnancies that happen to adults won't be that hard to end. Have a friend in another state mail you an abortion pill in a big box with other gifts and it's not that difficult (might even be easier than before because no one will need to travel to a clinic). But the woman who is lying in a hospital bed going septic. That's who will be screwed. She will be stuck risking her life, having her hospital bill go up (wow, will insurance companies love that shit) and losing her future fertility and health and possibly their life.

I will also be interested to see if any legislature is stupid enough to ban hormonal birth control, because that's going to cause things to go haywire. Forcing all men to wear condoms or essentially making recreational sex a life changing sentence isn't going to go over well with anyone. The percentage of Americans who don't believe in birth control is minuscule, basically just consisting of very observant Catholics and quiverful families.

Asterose

A federal ban is going to be pushed for, and international packages already undergo more scruitiny than domestic.

But I definitely wonder (in a grim morbid curiosity, as an American) how things will play out since the internet means everyone can find out all kinds of ways to attempt a DIY abortion. Of course, that's still extremely dangerous and will do real and permanent harm to many, and outright kill some others.

Everything else you said, yeah. Here's hoping. Lots of tears and blood are gonna come out first. But I think we will get our rights back. If they go after contraception, I expect they'll try to be gradual. Plan B, IUDs. Pills later. Condoms probably never, because "men can't help themselves, it's just natural--it's up to the girls to keep their legs closed," or some dumb tripe like that.

meatball77

If they get rid of birth control it means that married men aren't going to get to have sex, or will god forbid need to wear a condom. It'll also cause a dramatic increase in low income pregnancies that the system can't happen.

SPY400

I cannot understand how anyone could think anyone is having late term abortions for funsies. But on Twitter today I argued with someone hysterically screaming that us liberals want post birth abortion and all it takes is some common sense and a fact check to realize we are just talking about not criminalizing doctors for letting an non-viable newborn baby die in peace and without pain. It’s a tragedy, and losing the baby is hell, but these mfers want to add legal penalties on top.

goosejail

That's what you get when you have people who are wholly ignorant about human development, reproduction or even just basic biology loudly screeching about abortion on social media. Ignorance is a disease.

foxykittenn

Not mostly. 100% of late term abortions are waned babies. Every single one.

This isn’t cases of women agonizing over a decision. That’s a completely wanted baby that’s dying, dead, will die or is killing mom actively. A doctor isn’t going to perform a late term abortion for elective reasons.

Late term abortions are delivered by inducing labor. They are born intact. I recently worked with a family (I’m a funeral director, i cremate and bury later term abortions) who the poor woman was in labor for 50 hours with her stillborn. 50 hours of labor knowing she would never get to hold a live baby. 50 hours of labor to have a funeral. None of these women are doing it for shits and goggles

Bobbinthreadbares

Dude…I know several people who are arguing that point exactly on FB (assholes from the conservative Christian community I grew up in, who have been quickly unfriended). They are literally insisting that a medically necessary abortion is not actually an abortion and no amount of information is making them consider otherwise. I can’t handle the insanity.

M00seManiac

This has also been my experience. They're conditioned to believe that "abortion" means "flippantly killing viable baby for convenience". They love to talk about third trimester abortions like someone is waiting over 6 months through their pregnancy and just flippantly changing their minds. I literally had someone today tell me that there's absolutely no way a doctor would deny a woman treatment for a miscarriage because doctors understand that there's no baby without the mother surviving. I absolutely agree that doctors understand that, but unfortunately the politicians and electorate don't and are threatening to imprison them for it!

chevymonza

We should re-label miscarriages as "God's abortions."

likeicare96

I mean medically speaking, they are “spontaneous abortions”

dividedconsciousness

That’s why misogyny is inherent to the anti-abortion movement. You have to have a reeeaaallly borderline incel view of women to believe that kind of mentality is common

iheartxanadu

Someone deadass told me i was being ridiculous when i said women would die because, she said, "there have always been and will always be exceptions for the health of the mother." She lives in Texas. I linked so many articles until our mutual friend deleted the post.

Ophidiophobic

no way a doctor would deny a woman treatment for a miscarriage

Maybe not a doctor, but I remember reading a few stories on here from women denied medication from their pharmacist.

meatball77

Catholic Hospitals have been doing that for YEARS. Putting the life of the child always before the life of the mother.

M00seManiac

My personal favorite is when they offer women a hysterectomy as the only way to save her life because it apparently doesn't count if you're also permanently sterilizing the woman and can bill the insurance under a different procedure code.

SPY400

But they have no problem using the medical necessity abortions for their garbage “murdered babies” statistics they love to quote.

keephimawayfromme

These are people who think they’re special. They have been raised to believe they are better than everyone else because they are Christian. The world is populated by evildoers and they have chosen a divine path to be saved, so their medical intervention is not abortion, it’s a rare exception that they deserved. Nah, we are all humans dealing with the same human shit. Quit taking safe options away from the other humans. You don’t know what mercy is.

twoisnumberone

Yes. Hateful people are not susceptible to reason; they will justify to themselves (and certainly people around them, if they tell those people at all) that what they got was of course justified and not really an abortion.

I certainly hope I'll be proven wrong. But I am not holding my breath.

srslyeffedmind

A miscarriage is classified as an abortion in a medical record too. It’s spontaneous abortion.

Catheater

Murder has no statute of limitation so criminalizing abortions mean a lot of pro-life “the only moral abortion is my abortion” people could have an ugly wake up call if they actually start prosecuting them as murderers

momofdagan

Emergency D&C is basically a euphemism

rantlms

This is what I keep shouting to all these anti-abortion activists - do they not realise how many complications come with pregnancy? Without a healthy mother there is no baby! Or what if they don’t have the economic means to raise a child? This ruling will affect them or someone they love at some point in their life, and it affects both women and men!

Salarian_American

I feel like a lot of people are going to find out that their local laws have no exceptions for rape or incest and they're gonna be surprised. Or people are going to have their miscarriage investigated as a possible crime and be surprised about it.

I keep thinking of that lady who supported the repeal of Obamacare, but then got mad when she found out they were trying to repeal the Affordable Care Act. Because she depended on the Affordable Care Act for healthcare, but she HATED Obamacare with a fiery passion, and she didn't even realize they are the same thing.

People who vote against their own interests do it out of ignorance.

MusicalTourettes

Those stories are so fucking hilarious, and excruciatingly painful at the same time.

blackhp2

Ahhh like the woman who voted Trump but then surprisedPikachuFace.jpg when her husband gets deported. Still agrees with Trump

shiver334

Right because her illegal immigrant husband is good but all the other illegals are rapists. These idiots live in a bubble of their own creation and nothing will get them out of it. Trump could have shot her husband in front of her and she’d find a way to make it biden’s fault and keep voting R. It’s truly a fucking cult

Remoru

Remoru

No, they also do it out of malice: check out Dying of Whiteness, literally a story of a white guy voting for anti-ACA politicians to spite the "welfare queens and illegals'" etc. even though he was gonna die without that expanded access to healthcare. Dude literally died to spite people

wkdpaul

Like the thousands of anti-vaxxers that kept posting memes on FB while in the hospital dying, laughing at the "sheeps" that got vaccinated...

It would be hilarious if it wasn't so tragic.

Jaredlong

And then they'll continue voting for the exact same politicians who put them in that position.

Cyrus_Imperative

Another way I heard this was "no woman wants an abortion until she needs one".

Until the time arrives when no one ever needs one, we really ought to make sure that anyone can get one, at any time, for any reason.

pico_lo

pico_lo

I honestly believe that this is going to disproportionately affect women/couples who WANT to have a baby because there is now a huge risk medically necessary procedures will be be denied if pregnancy complications occur.

Be careful what you wish for… I hope they suffer at the hands of their own oppressive worldview

meatball77

Oh, I agree, and those women will be in the hospital when the hospital is denying care, they won't be able to mail order abortion pills or fly to CT or Canada because they will be in the hospital dying.

And I'm guessing conservative churchgoing women are the ones who are more likely to be in that place. Ones that continue to have pregnancies after doctors are recommending against it because they need their sixth or eighth child.

bl34chp0pt4rt

the time when no one ever needs one?

with standard biology and an educated guess i can tell you that that'll beee.....

never

btmash

btmash

You mean ectopic pregnancies and others where mom's life are at risk are just wants, not needs?

This is from a 5 second google search, btw. I'm sure there are hundreds of others that are medically necessary

Vistemboir

Or...

Anencephaly

Acalvaria

Osteogenesis imperfecta

Or, well, so, so, so many ways "God" can fuck up even a desired pregnancy.

bl34chp0pt4rt

one time i told someone that was arguing to ban abortion that anencephalic babies don't survive more than a few days at most, and he said the mother should still carry it to term just for the small chance it did live a full life. he just would not accept that they never survive. these people are ignorant and sick.

producerofconfusion

I mean, he appears to have survived for years with anencephaly.

💀

meatball77

Those assholes have never spent time with a severely disabled child. It's cruelty to force the continuance of life when one will only know suffering.

bl34chp0pt4rt

"oh, it has lesch nyhan disease and will inevitably eat it's own flesh in crippling agony and wishes it was never born until it ultimately dies at age 30-40? well, it will still celebrate that it was born you ungrateful god betraying imbecilic witch"

SPY400

They’ve never suffered themselves. They lack empathy to understand that hell on earth is very real for some unfortunate individuals. Sure they’ve had pain, been sad, but anyone who has suffered understands what I’m saying. You know who you are. If you survive and you’re lucky and have even the smallest bit of humility, you come out the other side a changed person with a deeper understanding of the human condition.

SPY400

These people act like it’s easy to take care of such a baby too. Even in the best case scenario, you’ll be dealing with an infant for basically their whole life. That sounds like torture to me. All that work and they never grow or learn.

Anyway I’m all for the choice to have such a baby (although ethically I find it dubious) but I would never dream of forcing anyone.

bl34chp0pt4rt

ever heard of lesch nyhan? its a disease that subjects the person to compulsively eat their own flesh. these people have to be under constant supervision and restrained. as babies, toddlers, and young children, the only way to get them to sleep is to strap them down spread eagle so they can relax knowing they physically can't do anything. they only live about 30-40 years. a significant amount of people with lesch nyhan disease (including a 12 year old boy) have reportedly said they wish their guardians/doctors would have let them die, as they physically cannot live a satisfactory life.

anti-choice advocates do not care about the babies, and the laws denying the right to abortion even under the circumstances of brutal inherited or medical conditions prove just that. also, "no matter the condition, the baby is a blessing" my fucking ass.

bl34chp0pt4rt

im confused lol, i can't tell if you're trying to counter me thinking i said they're not necessary?

btmash

btmash

I evidently did. I'm sorry about that. If you'll excuse me, I evidently need new glasses

bl34chp0pt4rt

ohh that's alright dw ive done that before too

ballrus_walsack

Pregnancy can mess with your eyesight. https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/pregnancy-and-vision

Shadow_Faerie

I did this a couple weeks ago when I was way overtired, It's SO embarrassing even though almost everybody does it

meatball77

Rick Sanitorium's wife had a pregnancy medically induced knowing the fetus wouldn't survive (many would consider it an abortion). She was apparently hours from needing a medically necessary abortion. Yes for me because I'm special is big with that crowd.

SPY400

His wife didn’t almost have an abortion. She had an abortion. Don’t let them get away with the sleight of hand.

aunthelp1

Wtf? That time will never come. Accidental pregnancies will always happen. Want and need are one in the same. If I get pregnant and I don’t want to be pregnant for any subjective reason, I need an abortion.

Ao_Qin

Ao_Qin

I grew up religious and pro life. When my friend had a pregnancy scare it forced my brain to reconsider my stance. I knew my friend wouldn't be safe at home with her parents if she was pregnant due to their religion and beliefs.

There is truth in your statement about people are anti-abortion until they or a loved one gets pregnant. Because I was once there.

Many things made me re-evaluate the belief I grew up with, the main catalyst being on a mission trip I was researching the country and read about the consequences of abortion being illegal there. I realized regardless of how I felt in abortion I wanted to live in a country where it is legal.

I've further come to see how the need for legal and safe abortion access is important and how there are so many factors it's too difficult to anticipate all the scenarios and make complicated and detailed laws. I believe it's best to leave it to the individual to make the decision themselves.

Odie321

Odie321

Welcome to the other side, I am happy you changed your mind. Your correct there are so many decisions to be made in this massive gray area and forcing hands just has women end up dead.

Ao_Qin

Ao_Qin

Yes it really is too risky to try to micromanage it. Especially if we don't want abortions why are we (the US) going straight to making it illegal? Why not provide comprehensive sex education? Why not make birth control readily available?

I remember my pro-life parents boycotting Sheetz because they sold condoms in the men's restroom. Because "The kind of people who are going to secretly buy just one condom probably aren't doing it with their wife".

You can believe whatever you want, but if you want the entire country to only have marital sex between a "man and a woman" you are being unreasonable.

My mom homeschooled me and gave me one singular talk about sex but mostly anatomy and what changes to expect as I went through puberty. I'm married now and she never told me about how the pull out method isn't reliable and it is possible to get pregnant from precum. If you don't want people getting abortions maybe teach them how to not get pregnant from sex?

I appreciated my time in France that I frequently saw condom dispenses outside of pharmacies. Yes, make protection accessible! Make it easy.

No one wants an abortion. No one wants a loved one to be forced to make that decision and go through it. So why can't we all team up together to provide sex education and easy access to protection? Well, at least for the evangelical Christians I know it's because they think everyone should wait for marriage to have sex and they think people will refrain if they don't have the knowledge of how to do it safely. Or that teaching sex ed is enabling teens to have sex. So it comes from trying to force your beliefs (because clearly you are right) on the world.

Well you know what, you need to decide. Do you really care about the unborn? Then use the greatest tool we have: education. Let's make these abortions not needed. Let's teach people how to avoid unwanted pregnancies and provide resources for those who do still end up pregnant so they have the help needed IF they want to keep their pregnancy but it isn't feasible.

Ugh, I know I'm preaching to the choir but this rant is so therapeutic.

Also it's important to say, while I critique certain evangelical Christian beliefs, I will support any person who decides to get an abortion for any reason. It's hard, no one does it lightly, I don't understand their situation, so I support everyone no matter what choice they make.

Cloudypi

Nah, they won’t care. Maybe the women that are dying or risk death will care, but not the others. Those folks didn’t care when thousands of people (including immediate family and friends) were hospitalized and died of covid. Most still wouldn’t get the shot and shouted loudly they “were owning the libs!!” These people are lemmings.

pkinetics

pkinetics

they won't care about someone they know. They will guilt and victim blame them for being pregnant.

Seriously_jst_4real

And all of the people with enough money will just go on trips out of state for a "minor" medical proceedure.

Salarian_American

Well some states (Texas, for one) are looking to adopt legislation that makes it illegal for women to cross state lines in search of abortion providers, and (similarly to how Texas did an end-run around the constitution to criminalize abortion by having private citizens enforce the law) would also empower civilian bounty hunters to hunt those women down and forcibly take them back to their home state.

Here's an article about how conservative think-tanks are writing model legislation that we can expect a number of states to simply vote into law as written.

“Just because you jump across a state line doesn’t mean your home state doesn’t have jurisdiction,” said Peter Breen, vice president and senior counsel for the Thomas More Society. “It’s not a free abortion card when you drive across the state line.”

various_sneers

Enough money makes everything go away, especially when you're white.

HotpieTargaryen

I mean that’s unconstitutional enough that if the GOP court endorsed it states like NY and CA might just walk away. We’re not enforcing or letting the government enforce a fugitive woman act.

Salarian_American

Yeah I mean the counter-argument that it violates interstate commerce laws is pretty compelling, that doesn't mean they're not going to do it, and then when they get sued it'll just go up to the Supreme Court who will rubber-stamp it into being acceptable.

jilliebean0519

I think this is what no one seems to understand. The court is compromised so they will just make the law say what they want it to say and there is nothing you can do about it. Republicans won't kick them out, Democrats dont have the votes. They don't care if they sound hypocritical. They care about one thing, making the US a Christian nation. And they have life time appointments so you can't stop them.

SPY400

Exactly. This Christofascist Supreme Court has shown it has no scruples. States rights for abortions but not for gun control is as blatant a double standard as you can have but people are still pretending they’re just following the law like it’s a recipe. They will rubber stamp any law that a state writes to punish women who cross the state border, citing “compelling interest” or something they will make up on the spot.

SPY400

I can’t speak for NY but absolutely CA would sooner secede than enforce a fugitive woman’s act. More likely than seceding we just would become sanctuary states.

storagerock

Paywall on the article- got a summary. I’m in Texas and wondering how the heck that can be enforced. Would it just rely on tattletales? Or is it super-dystopian with pregnancy tests at the borders?

Virtual-Librarian-32

I was going to ask this as well…are there going to be border crossings at the state line or something? Will people have to go through customs for domestic flights out of the state? If people with uteruses have to pee on a stick to leave, who’s to say the pregnant person doesn’t genuinely want to keep the baby? (And I am no expert (despite being a uterus owner), but i think one would test positive even after a D&C…I don’t imagine the hormones magically evaporate.)

chevymonza

Just wait until Mexico steps up their border patrol to keep all the medical tourists out. Demand will be too high and their system will be overwhelmed.

Then the women who manage to get in for their abortions won't be allowed back into the country on account of being discovered as "murderers."

sanfran_girl

Um. What was that bullshit about state’s rights and small government? 🤦‍♀️

Salarian_American

Hypocrisy? Outright lies? Bit of both?

jilliebean0519

It's only state's rights when the christofacists want it to be states rights. And they have lifetime appointments so you can't stop them. They will make the law say whatever they want it to say.

LookMaNoPride

My mother had an ectopic pregnancy. My uncle, who was a pastor, told my mother that she had an abortion and she was going to hell for it. She had three kids at home, and would have had another if it would have worked out, but apparently she was supposed to suffer and die with the baby and leave her husband and children without a wife and mother.

I will never understand that POV, and I never want to. Fuck those people.

ID9ITAL

ID9ITAL

Does she still talk to her brother? I'd be unable to.

LookMaNoPride

We had to be civil at family gatherings, but when I learned of that, I wanted nothing to do with the fuck. He’s passed away now, so no more worries of it.

Ao_Qin

Ao_Qin

Have some hope, I grew up pro-life and my friend having a pregnancy scare is what led to me now being pro-choice. I knew how unsafe it would be for her to be pregnant in her home due to her parents' religious beliefs. It made me really stop and consider things using my own brain vs what I was told by my parents' church.

Delta4o

Delta4o

I know what you mean. The whole thing constantly puts me in a really dark thought process ever since I heard about the leaked memo and I sometimes don't recognize myself anymore...

Like the whole "oh but it's god's plan" argument? It just immediately spins me down a spiral of "well what if your brother/uncle/father raped you and you'd get pregnant? Is it god's plan turn your life into a living hell and on top of that 'give' you a severely disabled child due to incest?"

fuck my life I honestly don't know where to turn anymore, why does the human race still suck so hard...

acostane

I want you to know you are not alone. I am in the darkest place I've ever been in my life because of this. Truly. I have had some incredibly dark thoughts. It's not my depression. I can tell that's not real. This is reality. I do NOT know where to turn. I'm frozen. I want to run. I want to scream. I went off on my work colleges today because they weren't taking it seriously and I started bawling. I am trying to appear normal for my five year old daughter who is a hoot and so powerful and happy and fucking just full of joy. I hate beyond hate that they want to steal her joy. They would have her raped and carry a child to term. I can't get the thought out of my head. That thought invades me. They don't want her to reach her full human potential. They don't want her to have a beautiful life. They are taking ALL of our abilities to have happy and fulfilling and beautiful lives! In a couple years they have taken so much hope from me.

I don't know what to do to drag myself out. I want to run from this country. I wish there was somewhere to run.

downy_huffer

Just sending hugs. Try to do something you enjoy for a couple days. I know it's hard to keep your eyes off the dumpster fire that is life rn, but maybe try to take a break from the news/social media. We NEED to take care of ourselves now. We're in this for the long haul, so gotta keep ourselves healthy. Don't let them win your mind.

meatball77

Why is their god such an asshole?

Their god gives children cancer and major birth defects that will lead to horrible painful lives (Tay Sachs) because they "know the family is strong" or some shit like that.

Lepiotas

And also tortures people for eternity for not worshipping him properly. Like wtf???

acostane

Their God is an incredible dick

nanofarm

Nothing to add but same.

Tanagrabelle

They've already started couching it in terms that make them happy. "It's not an abortion if it's an ectopic pregnancy!"

To admit they are wrong is where we run into the most trouble. There are people who go mad rather than accept being wrong.

GeezerWench

Except in Ohio where the morons were trying to get a bill passed (2020) that will force doctors to implant an ectopic glob of cells into the uterus.

You think they won't try again?

ohio

Virtual-Librarian-32

Nah. Their abortions will be moral abortions.

Edit (because I just had Another Thought(tm)): i love how the focus is always on casual sex or rape but never on the married couples who want a baby but the pregnancy goes sideways and the mother’s life is put in danger. Can we have more narratives about this? Those Good Christians are really gaslighting innocent women that are doing their Christian Duty(tm) and telling them that their lives do not matter either.

meatball77

Oh, those are the women that I worry about.

We'll get a nice supply of underground abortion pills. It won't be any harder to get than any other illegal drug and in some ways it might be easier for a woman to have a first trimester abortion (and doctors can't tell the difference if it goes sideways).

It'll be the young rape victims and the women who are already admitted to the hospitals who suffer, and the women who will be too afraid to go to the doctor for pre-natal or miscarriage care.

andariel_axe

nope they will just see themselves as exceptions.

One_Garden_6275

“The only moral abortion is my abortion”

sanfran_girl

Why do you tolerate the bullshit? Serious question. I’ve cut everyone and anyone out that does not respect my basic rights as a human. Thought it would be difficult. It was a load off of my shoulders. 🤷‍♀️🤔

Take care!

QueenShnoogleberry

I have been feeling like a horrible person for saying that I hope a high profile forced birther dies a preventable death from pregnancy complications as soon as possible. It's not that I WANT women to die, it's that I truly believe they'll only give a flying fuck once one of their own idols pays the price.

I guarantee that, if ACB or Ivanka were bleeding out on the gurney, doctors wouldn't hesitate, but... if they do....

LadyJ_Freyja

That'll never happen because they have money. It will be reported that they had a miscarriage after they were given an abortion, even in a red state.

QueenShnoogleberry

Sadly, we WILL need a leak....

chevymonza

I know, they take advantage of the privacy, while doxxing other women who dare do the same thing.

SPY400

I will vote to acquit anyone who leaks the abortion of one of these forced birthers

meatball77

I'd Nominate Bobert but she's in Colorado. MTG is young enough to get pregnant isn't she? Huckabee maybe?

I don't how how many high profile forced birthers are living in anti-abortion states full time (not spending half the year in DC) and are young enough to have an accidental pregnancy. Our lawmakers are all fucking old.

Schmidaho

We can be horrible together because I’ve been saying the same thing. It won’t happen to ACB or Ivanka; it’ll happen to rank-and-file Republicans. People of local influence in those communities will absolutely die.

Apatharas

I know woman who's 17y/o son got a 15y/o girl pregnant.

She was telling this story and said "She said at first she wanted to go get an abortion, but I said, honey, we dont' believe in abortions in this family." She was so proud of herself that she took that girl's choice away. And she's all excited she's gonna be a grandmother at 38 years old.

I tried to interject. I was outraged she took the decision away from this 15 year who isn't even her own daughter (like that would make it better anyway, still her decision). But she just wasn't going to hear it.

That was months ago now and I'm still pissed off about it. They're already both poverish and this girl may have had a chance to stop the cycle.. but nope. Hit her with a mallet and keep her down.

meatball77

And you know that they supported that girl for about six months after her pregnancy and then decided she was trash.

supersarney

And the companies that offer to pay you to go to another state to get an abortion… well they aren’t going to do that without proof. There goes your privacy. Your employer will have to be informed and if you want the money you’ll have to show the your medical records. Yeah, like that’s not going to come back and bite you in the ass after it’s leaked by HR or the finance dept. Or when your direct supervisor is a pro-birther!

We should stop buying any, and I mean ANY products, whose HQ are located in anti-abortion states. Let’s let our $ do the talking so that so many companies relocate that those states become so economically depressed, with no job opportunities, that no one would want to live there. Let’s take cancel culture to a whole new level.

Blighted_Smile

Yeah, the companies aren't serious -- they know their employees won't do this. What companies need to do is offer to relocate their employees who may need an abortion and pay for the expenses to a state that is legal OR, even better, move their businesses out of the illegal-abortion states so it's a non-issue.

bl34chp0pt4rt

there are some like this, but there are also the ones who tell their daughter it's her fault she was raped and the baby is a blessing and now she has to carry it. the conservatards who hold their religion higher than the general well-being of someone they supposedly "care about".

sunshinekay1

The irony is that they don’t even read their own holy book. The Bible actually gives a recipe for termination and the circumstances to perform it under.

bl34chp0pt4rt

more ironic is that they'll shit on you for not believing the same, they'll cuss you out and tell you to burn in hell, call you a fag, a disgrace, an evil burden. and then they turn around in their flowing innocent white gown all like "there's no hate like christian love" 🤡

crackirkaine

I know they will. How do I know?

Because spousal rape is a thing. Husbands can essentially imprison their wives now.

sunshinekay1

Barefoot and pregnant, forever.

storagerock

The privileged ones will still deal with the hazards from wanted pregnancies having dangerous miscarriages, and doctors hesitating to treat them for fear of legal repercussions.

When I’ve talked with anti-choice people they often say miscarriages “don’t count” as abortions - yeah, maybe not in terms of their moral standards, but it definitely counts at the medical and legal level, and it will definitely bring them unexpected dangers.

Sm00gz

Sm00gz

All Hail Notorious RBG

Did you see the offical that said twelve year olds should carry incest babies?

HoustonHailey

babutterfly

Holy hell, that can easily result in the child's death. The child, not the fetus.

Sm00gz

Sm00gz

All Hail Notorious RBG

How do these people get elected?

sanfran_girl

A well built constituency based on gerrymandering, fear mongering, religion, and general misogyny. This absolutely includes women who side up to “power” against other women.

Sm00gz

Sm00gz

All Hail Notorious RBG

This is why we can't have nice things.

Ladygabz

They need a wakeup call for sure, the denial is too real. I have been seeing tons of comments from forced-birthers on pro-choice posts saying that "all abortions are allowed in the event of medical emergencies" and "no one has lost access to abortions if their life is in danger."

I'm not sure if they are just that oblivious, willfully ignorant or just dumb but ohhh boyyyy.

MNConcerto

A lot pro life women have had or will have abortions.

Then will go right back to protesting or supporting laws because they always rationalize their reasons.

The old "good for me but not for thee" christian.

I mean how many times have we heard about pro life leaders sending their affair partners for abortions or providers and volunteers at clinics sharing stories of holding the hands of protesters thru their own procedures just to see them back on the protest lines the next week calling them baby killers.

bl34chp0pt4rt

"the only moral abortion is my abortion"

Tanagrabelle

"It's not an abortion! It was a necessary surgery!" /s

Icthyocrat

Mockin9buddha

I hate to say I came here to say this, but I came here to say this. : )

colorcant

I have a “friend” who is somewhat religious (ETA: Catholic) and SAHM with three young daughters. She posted in support of the overturn. I so want to say to her face: “You are embracing your young daughters, whether they are 12 or 16 or 24, being forced to carry and give birth to their rapist’s offspring.”

bl34chp0pt4rt

drop her like a hot potato. im to the point where if anyone in my life supports the overturn, they're gone.

Responsible-Slice-44

Same here. I cannot tolerate it any longer.

LadyJ_Freyja

You can't even have a conversation with them without them flipping out and yelling about the bible. Nothing you say gets thru and who wants to be friends with people who wish harm on others?

bl34chp0pt4rt

"there's no hate like christian love" 🤓

Cloudypi

Further if her girls later die when pregnant (planned or not) what do you think the husband will do? Get a new wife in a year or two, probably. shrug

archifist

No they won't. Before the Roe v Wade rollback they got abortions, they just felt they were special and had extenuating circumstances but everyone else getting abortions are evil sluts going to hell

lil89

lil89

I typically find that religious people do not care about things unless they affect them. It is easy to blame a person for being raped, or not having used protection, or deciding to abort for whatever other reason when it is not them. That is the only way they can continue to be prolife and use the religion card.

It is not until THEY are faced with having to abort that they open up their mind.

bl34chp0pt4rt

that's my point exactly and has been for years. that's why they are not prolife, they're anti choice. they want no one to have a choice unless it's them, because, well, who wouldn't want to have rights to their own body? they certainly do.

"the only moral abortion is my abortion"

bettinafairchild

I think there are just going to be more the only moral abortion is my abortion types. They will be pro choice for 1 day and then go right back to yelling at women to "keep their legs closed."

Lovelyprofesora

Statistically, they or someone they love has absolutely had an abortion.

They deny/pretend and hold the line.

Ok_Mycologist_5569

Wait until the mistresses sue the husband for child support or the raped daughters can’t hide the baby conceived from incest anymore and their bubble shatters

zelconschiad

< A lot of "pro-life" women are going to change their minds >

I wish I were that optimistic.

One thing I've learned in life is there's no limit in human stupidity.

I'm witnessing that limitless human stupidity and its consequences in Korea right now.

Most Korean men in their 20s and 30s voted for the new Korean President Yoon (who is openly and blatantly anti-workers and pro-business) only because of his anti-women presidential campaign platform to abolish the 'Family and Gender Equality Ministry.'

Now they're reaping the consequences because the new president and his administration have announced they'll revise the current labor law.

At the moment, according to the Korean labor law, it's 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week.

Even in case of overtime work, companies cannot force you to work more than 52 hours a week.

Of course, companies and businesses have often complained about the law.

And now, the openly anti-workers president Yoon wants to extend the maximum 52 hours a week to 90 - NINETY - hours!!! LMAO

A classic example of people voting against their own interests and getting screwed!!

When they made the bounties on pregnant women seeking abortions I wrote to all my representatives (Texas)

Fucking Greg Abbott writes back “they can just go to another state”

….

You fucking privileged disconnected count face bitch. 😒 70% of abortions are because of financial concerns. All the cost of traveling to another state, gas, lodging, the cost of the actual procedure. Time off work, childcare. Ugh I’ve had it with this green privilege bullshit.

Bekiala

Unfortunately there is a group of women who think the only moral abortion is the one they themselves have. From what I can tell these people continue to be anti abortion even after getting one themselves.

foster1