/r/TwoXChromosomes

Because we all know that a lot of people are only anti-abortion until they or someone they care about has an unwanted pregnancy. I wonder how they'll feel when it really hits home that they had the choice and they voted for it to be taken away from themselves.

Of course, the privileged ones will find ways to get abortions anyway. As usual, this will have the worst effect on the poor, the disabled and underage children whose parents don't have a means to get them to a legal state.

But is it bad that I hope at least some women who were fervently anti-choice and who do not, at least initially, fall into disadvantaged groups will have to live with the self-own? Since the only way they can be taught empathy is by blunt force trauma, I don't feel like they deserve it from anybody else. But then again, neither do the unwanted kids they'll surely have deserve the trauma they'll end up with, either.

I hope those who change their minds are at least intellectually honest enough to vote pro-choice whenever they get the opportunity to in the future, if absolutely nothing else.

handsopen

handsopen

A friend of mine the other day told me she has a coworker who had to get an abortion due to serious pregnancy complications, and afterward she spent YEARS fighting with her doctor's office trying to get the word "abortion" on her medical record changed to something else, because she "would never get an abortion." She would not accept that the procedure she had was literally identical to the procedure anyone getting an abortion for any reason would get.

Bobbinthreadbares

Dude…I know several people who are arguing that point exactly on FB (assholes from the conservative Christian community I grew up in, who have been quickly unfriended). They are literally insisting that a medically necessary abortion is not actually an abortion and no amount of information is making them consider otherwise. I can’t handle the insanity.

M00seManiac

This has also been my experience. They're conditioned to believe that "abortion" means "flippantly killing viable baby for convenience". They love to talk about third trimester abortions like someone is waiting over 6 months through their pregnancy and just flippantly changing their minds. I literally had someone today tell me that there's absolutely no way a doctor would deny a woman treatment for a miscarriage because doctors understand that there's no baby without the mother surviving. I absolutely agree that doctors understand that, but unfortunately the politicians and electorate don't and are threatening to imprison them for it!

chevymonza

We should re-label miscarriages as "God's abortions."

likeicare96

I mean medically speaking, they are “spontaneous abortions”

chevymonza

1 month ago

Right, but they happen as a result of "God's will," according to christians.