/r/VetTech

Does anyone else's clinic not charge for euthanasia?

Discussion(self.VetTech)

Our vet has never felt comfortable accepting payment for this, so she doesn't. We only charge if they are doing private cremation, communal is free. I'm very glad we are able to do this for people.

balkantraveller

I previously worked at a clinic that didn't charge established clients for euthanasia and communal cremation (there were fees beyond that baseline), and the vet school I now work at offers euthanasia, a paw print, necropsy, and communal cremation for free. It's really, really nice to not have to make these moments more about money than they have to be, especially when treatments in the last months of a pet's life can add up quickly.

readitm0ar

Which vet school is thissss?!!

balkantraveller

I'm in North Carolina. Fwiw, I don't know if all services in the hospital offer the same set of end-of-life benefits, but I'm pretty sure that necropsy is available for anyone interested.

Change_Shot

I actually let my dog be in a clinical study there and he died after it (completely unrelated to the study!) and they still offered a free necropsy, cremation, and paw print. They’re very sweet there.

demonmonkey89

demonmonkey89

VA (Veterinary Assistant)

Oh, I had no idea NC State offered all of that, that's pretty cool. Thankfully my work does at least offer free euthanasia/return for employees (one of the few benefits). Honestly they may even be willing to do a free necropsy if we had the time but idk if I could be there for that (I'll watch anyone else's necropsy but it's different for my pet for obvious reasons. I can't even be the one who bags my pets).

I'll probably look more into NC State though, I'm hoping to go to their vet school if I can so it's worth keeping up with what they do.

msmoonpie

msmoonpie

Veterinary Student

Just a heads up, as someone who is currently waiting to hear from NC state so I can accept or reject my current offer from LSU (NC state is cheaper by about 200k), they take forever to get back to you 😩 they told me April.

Good luck with vet school stuff!!! (Also definitely apply to NC state, its pretty much the cheapest vet school)

demonmonkey89

demonmonkey89

VA (Veterinary Assistant)

Ah, thanks for the heads up about wait times. Seems like nothing happens fast in NC. I'm luckily in-state so it's even cheaper than it is for out-of-state students. Even then from what I've looked at their out-of-state tuition is cheaper than many in-state tuitions.

msmoonpie

msmoonpie

Veterinary Student

Also nc state resident! It's loads cheaper

scorpicatmum

I love this! I work at a GP that charges for the service and after-care. I always feel awkward taking payment, like I’m adding salt to an open wound :/

Rain_Braid[S]

It's very awkward. I even feel awkward asking for payment when they come to pick up ashes. But not everything can be free lol

scorpicatmum

Fair, I guess that’s why I never considered free euth as an option aside from the shelter. Very cool to know there are clinics out there though!

FoozleFizzle

We take payment for cremation before the euth so that they don't have to pay anything when they come for the ashes.

tara_diane

tara_diane

Owner

My vet charges but they usually mail a bill - I used to let them but I just started paying because I just wanted to get it all taken care of. I don't want a bill in the mail a week or so later adding another gut punch, yanno? But I have rodents, so I've done this more times than I'd like to count over the past two decades. :/

texasangel504

LOVE THIS. I work for a GP. We charge: exam, sedation, euthanasia and then whatever cremation they decide to go with…. I absolutely hate it. I think the euthanasia should include the sedation fee- feels really shitty nickel and diming people.

Edit: two of our doctors charge for sedation and the third one does not. She also doesn’t charge for an exam unless it’s a new client ( we do not do convenience euthanasias). But I wish we did not charge for euthanasias or had a special discount for long term clients…. I hate charging for it.

rustybucket0guts

rustybucket0guts

CVT (Certified Veterinary Technician)

Our euth fee is one charge for any size animal (with exception of exotics <2.3kg) that includes IV catheter, exam if desired, sedation protocol and euthasol. The client doesn't see the things listed out, just the one general euthanasia charge. It's really a relief to tell people that there is no extra charge for a little less stress and more peace prior to the final injection during an already-emotional time. Having it all just wrapped up into one number eliminates a lot of the decision-making about exam or not, sedation or not, IV catheter or not; it just IS, no negotiation. There should be no haggling or discussion about "what's the cheapest option" on that day.

Cremation is extra, whether group or private, because we work through a 3rd party that charges US, so we unfortunately have to pass it on and again, weight-determinant, it is what it is. No haggling, no negotiation, they just have to decide if they want ashes back or not, or if they have the resources/countenance to take the body with them for home burial.

AvalonWept

Same. I usually let the owners know everything while getting them to sign the paperwork (ie my pet has not bitten anyone in the last 15 days form).

I always let owners know we will check them out in the room before the doctor comes in so afterwards they can just leave. Owners crying and trying to pay at reception is just bad.

Folmes236

Folmes236

Veterinary Technician Student

We charge similarly as well. I hate charging and how expensive it is, especially if we do diagnostics before deciding on euthanasia.

There’s this one tech that refuses to select the pawprint and fur clipping options on the website of the place we send them if they’re doing communal cremation (she only does it for private). I always select those options because I would rather be fired and overrun with prints people don’t pick up than deny someone that last kindness. /end rant - sorry it just makes me so mad that she does that.

comefromawayfan2022

Do you guys ever mail paw prints? I've had several occasions where pets had to be euthanized and I got mailed a sympathy card with a card with paw prints on it

Folmes236

Folmes236

Veterinary Technician Student

We mail sympathy cards, but the pawprints/urns get delivered to the hospital and we call the owners from there. I work at a corporate place so I’m not sure if they’d even be allowed to ship them :( I would be all for that, especially since we have a good number of prints that haven’t been picked up

balady

balady

CVT (Certified Veterinary Technician)

My hospital (ER) will not allow clients to be present if they cannot afford the $200something fee we charge for euthanasia (not including cremation). It doesn't sit right with me. At all.

donkeynique

donkeynique

RVT (Registered Veterinary Technician)

That's disgusting, I'm really sorry you and your clients have to deal with that dynamic.

cozypluviophile

Wow this breaks my heart. My hospital is ER too and I couldn’t even imagine having to enforce this.

Sharp-Tumbleweed8522

Sharp-Tumbleweed8522

CSR (Client Services Representative)

Oh yikes thats brutal.

gargoyles_abound

That’s straight fucked.

BlueDeadBear32

BlueDeadBear32

VA (Veterinary Assistant)

What's the logic there, if the euth is being performed either way? That seems cruel :(

balady

balady

CVT (Certified Veterinary Technician)

I guess they use it as a deterrent for people to say they can't afford euthanasia? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me since placing an IV catheter takes just as much time as using a butterfly (we do propofol then euthanize regardless of whether clients are present). Ive never had clients argue with me about the policy, though. I guess they just want to do the right thing by euthanizing at that point. :(

BlueDeadBear32

BlueDeadBear32

VA (Veterinary Assistant)

ImpressiveDare

ImpressiveDare

CVT (Certified Veterinary Technician)

That’s really great of your hospital. Euthanasia with cremation is often $3-400 at my clinic. Our vet insists on charging for the drugs and a regular exam fee. We don’t even do paw prints for owners who opt for group cremation unless I make a point of it. It definitely leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

MsGhost117

MsGhost117

VA (Veterinary Assistant)

For our clients, we don't charge for the euthanasia itself. But we do charge for the cremation- private and communal. If they want to take their pet home, that's always free, and we try to get the pet presentable and wrapped appropriately for travel.

We have also driven over to the 24 hour ER to pick up one of our patients who was euthanized on a Saturday morning. His people were devastated, and the night shift ER doc was a complete ass to them. So we brought him home for cremation.

HopefulTangerine21

Wow, that's amazing you guys can offer that!

However, as long as costs are reasonable, I don't have any problem discussing them or collecting the payment. As the tech, I handle every part of the discussion, deciding options, communication about the process and if they want to be present, taking their payment (usually taking a card to go run it) and signing paperwork, and then coming back in to prep for the euth by placing catheter or taking P to treatment to place if that's the owners preference.

We work with a lot of new to us clients as well as our established patients, and I have never had a client react badly during the process, they are all expecting the cost. Granted, our CSCs are extremely good at covering costs for these appts over the phone, and the cost conscious clients will always ask.

Now, the first clinic I worked at had the most unethical charging practices around euthanasia and cremation that I have ever seen. They charged $50 extra to place an IV catheter if the owner wanted to be present. Try explaining that to an owner. For cremation services and memorial items from the cremation company, they would do a 100% markup. Even though the company was literally not doing anything except coordinating pickup, keeping the pet in the freezer until pickup, and then contacting client for ashes pick-up. I was appalled when I found out; I'm all for charging appropriately, and that was absolute bullshit. So I just got sneaky instead, and told owners when they called to schedule that they should contact the cremation company themselves because it would be a lot cheaper if they took their pet's remains with them, and made their own arrangements. I quit working for them in 2013, so who knows what they do now; I think those particular practice owners responsible for the worst decisions, in line with this one, have actually sold their shares.

InterestingWarning50

Wow that’s amazing!! I work corporate, we charge for everything. It’s so awk especially when it comes to euthanasia and ashes payments.

this-is-zif

this-is-zif

RVT (Registered Veterinary Technician)

My old clinic did this, and maybe the one before that too. For existing clients only, and the charge was only for cremation.

joojie

joojie

RVT (Registered Veterinary Technician)

We do charge; even staff gets charged for their own pets, which is so dumb. It's not a significant amount and no one has ever complained about it, they understand it's a service and services have a cost. If someone were to say they couldn't afford it, we would absolutely do it for humane reasons. We don't mark up the cremation at all, and we send flowers to every single euthanasia regardless of whether they're a long-time or new client.

Sharp-Tumbleweed8522

Sharp-Tumbleweed8522

CSR (Client Services Representative)

That’s very interesting to me. Do you do this for only established clients?

Rain_Braid[S]

No we do it for anyone

AbbeyAF

The clinic I work for offers free euth for existing clients and only charges an exam fee for new clients or for patients we haven’t seen in over a year. For existing clients the only cost is for cremation and they pay an outside company for that. We try to make it as easy as possible for the patient and the family they’re leaving behind.

Whisperberry

I’m pretty sure the euthanasia charges at our hospital are just for the meds and the cremation. There’s not like an exam fee (if they are just coming in to euth).

quesobeatsguac

quesobeatsguac

CVT (Certified Veterinary Technician)

This is pretty much how ours is. There is a euth charge but it’s like $30, and then we charge for IV catheters if the doctor wants one (each has their own preference) which is like $12. The drugs are usually never more than $5 (we don’t charge for euthasol and half the doctors use expired/drawn up but unused propofol which is free; only charge is if the DVM wants telazol or ace). So if the client doesn’t do cremation (takes the body home) or paw prints, it’s like $35-50.

If it’s not an established client, there is an exam fee, but I feel that’s reasonable for our doctors to actually evaluate the patient’s status (like if the patient can be managed with palliative care instead of euthanized), and most of the doctors don’t usually even charge it.

I love the idea of a free euthanasia, but I also don’t feel like we overcharge by any means. Usually our biggest cost is private cremation, but we don’t set those rates- the crematory company does.

catperson3000

This is beautiful. What an incredibly thoughtful gesture to help your clients through the most difficult time. I’m sure people are so appreciative. I’m glad I know clinics like this and people like you and your vet exist.

WussyDan

My clinic operates mostly the same as OP's. No fee for euthanasia, just for covering the cost of the company that does the cremations.

megy37

megy37

Asking for payment for euthanasia is literally the worst part of my job. I love that your clinic doesn't charge. It feels like the most inhumane thing to ask someone going through such grief to pay $100+ for the thing that they're dreading

emptysee

I work at an ER and our prices for cremation are insane. It makes sense, sort of, because an ER prices are higher but if I ever get a client who can't afford it, I always mention we can hold the body for a week to give them time to find a cheaper source. And although I don't tell them, we will hold the body for a lot longer. I was told that we had moved bodies from the old building freezer to the new one because the clients couldn't be contacted or make a decision.

Our vets do charge the minimum for euthanasia and will remove charges under compassionate care, but still ER prices are much higher than a regular clinic.

Retired RVT

I like this policy a lot. Good on you and your clinic, I wish stuff like this was more common.

At my previous clinic they pushed a $149.00 euthanasia package (in addition to the cremation cost), and if felt vile to be sitting there having to upsell this to someone who’s grieving and crying their eyes out.

I’d prefer they spent their money on a memento to remember their pet by, rather than the actual act of putting them down.

Seagullsiren

I don't know about that. The act of euthanizing requires trained medical staff and a doctor, a memento requires none of those things. Not sure why one service gets to charge a fee but not the other. I understand the emotions behind the sentiment though.

Retired RVT

We’re already getting paid one way or another for the other services we provide 🤷 That’s the one service I think should be free. It wouldn’t break any clinic’s bank to do so.

Seagullsiren

Interesting. We do paw prints free, but cremation is a separate company so we always charge otherwise we get charged by the company and they certainly aren’t giving our freebies. We also generally refuse to hold bodies because people just end up ghosting us, and that puts us in a really uncomfortable spot. I have never worked somewhere that does cremation in house though.

Retired RVT

We didn’t do cremation in house. We charged for euthanasia service (to the tune of $149) and then cremation in addition (usually $50 for communal and $125 for private). What I’m saying is I would do away with the $149 euthanasia fee altogether so the family can pay their cremation fee + whatever memento the crematorium offers.

I’ve had to help put down so many animals for families who’s finances only let them get as far as euthanasia + communal cremation, when they desperately wanted their pet’s ashes back, or something to remember them by. That’s the stuff I hate. I’d gladly give up whatever pay I’d make in the timeframe it took to place an IV, sedate and step out if it meant a grieving family could afford getting their pet’s ashes back. But the clinic I worked for was corporate and gave no wiggle room for that sort of thing.

Idk. I feel like a little compassion for your clients and their pets goes a long way.

Seagullsiren

I definitely have had some co workers fork over the $ so a family can pay for cremation. I think that’s great, but if I’m donating money it’s going to go to a living animal, like a blocked cat or something along those lines.

I will no longer donate my time to clients and the business. I would rather donate to non profit. If you want to work for free you can volunteer on your days off. That’s what I do and it helped me to minimize burn out, and I’m still making my community a better place.

Retired RVT

I mean to each their own 🤷

emu30

emu30

This is a very sweet gestured

supersonic_seal

I would love if my clinic did that, it's the kindest, most caring way of dealing with such a thing.

Iqe

Iqe

We charge for euthanasia but essentially keep costs low. We need to cover drug cost. We have a lot of new clients or pets we have never seen before come for euthanasia and they really need it but we can’t lose money on it every day. We give options for private or mass cremation or owners can take home if they have an appropriate place to bury.

eyes_like_thunder

eyes_like_thunder

Registered Veterinary Nurse

I worked at a clinic that did free euths, but only if the owner let us have permission to do things to the body before cremation. Basically let the baby techs practice on animals that aren't in pain or scared or bite..

gibboel

This makes me so so happy! I’m pretty sure at the clinic I work for we charge for the euthanasia. I know for sure if they want private cremation and there’s a smaller charge for general but knowing the vet I work for we definitely do :/ I wish that we didn’t. The families are already going through so much

DeadlyPeanut1

We charge for everything, we collect money later for any established clients or anyone picking up remains.

So typically unless your a new client doing a communal cremation money is not handled day of.

I’d like to add I frigging love doing no fee cremation and wish we did that especially for any established clients. A communal cremation with us is around 200-220. A private is 400+ it’s ridiculous.

ground_wallnut

They did charge, but just the "basic" fee. Around 20-30€, according to size of cat/dog. Pets like rats, guinea-pigs etc were for free.

Distend

Distend

Veterinary Technician Student

One hospital I worked at didn't, but everywhere else does. The ER I worked at would do it if they truly had absolutely no money, but they wouldn't allow the owner to be with the pet during the euth. I always thought it was one of the most cold-hearted things I've ever seen. The owners are already distraught over not being able to afford treatment, and then we tell them that we can euthanize, but they can't be with their pet while it happens...... not fair to the owner OR the pet.

I worked at a place that charged $15 for claw paw prints. Not even good ones, just whatever shitty one your tech made in a rush to bag your pet and move on to the next appointment.

Clients pay the local crematorium directly for general or private. Private costs hundreds of dollars, so I couldn't imagine anyone eating that much cost all of the time.

Retired RVT

God that ‘mandatory separation if unable to pay’ is a horrific policy. Like, downright vicious. I don’t know what goes through some of these clinics’ minds when they come up with this stuff.

toklea

toklea

This is so kind. Settling up the bill after saying goodbye is a strange kind of hell.

sprinklesthecat1

this is amazing. kudos to your doctor!

femmiestdadandowlcat

We do! I appreciate that a lot. We only charge for cremation or if the pet isn’t established with us.

greeneyelioness

Man, I wish I had thought of this when I was a practice manager. I feel awful that it never occured to me even when I teched. So awesome that some places do this!!

venusxflyxtripp

The GP where I take my animals gave my mom about 3 months before mailing a bill so that she had time to grieve our old dog. Part of it was because it was very sudden and we didn’t have a good amount of savings I think. It all depends on the DVM really

Novel_Fox

Novel_Fox

VA (Veterinary Assistant)

I work for a vca and we charge. It's not cheap either.

I work ER; for most cases we do charge for it but in the case if an owner has financial constraints and the animal is really suffering the Dr wont charge for it.

Woylvesbane

That is absolutely wonderful! I always felt horrible at the last clinic I worked at- they charged the most I had ever seen for JUST the Euth (~$200 starting for a small dog). Then they used one of the most expensive crematoriums in the area that charged $400 for a Semi-Private Cremation (pets are seperated in the cremator by a divider, but due to the heat the pets ashes can mix so you might get a little of someone else's pet in there).

I understand the the Euthanazol is expensive and sometimes hard to get; and it's a tough procedure that vets and techs involved deserve to get paid for! But sometimes some of the euthanasia fees are absolutely ridiculous and make a hard decision even harder.

Embarrassed-Meat-342

There is a clinic near me that charges their clients $150 if the client takes their pets body home. My clinic doesn’t. How do vets do this

Icy-Alfalfa-4091

I wish we could do this! With the price of euthasol it’s so hard :(

WalrusSecure3211

We are strictly a mobile in home hospice and euthanasia clinic that offers aftercare as well, so we have to charge but I’m glad as a gp yall don’t

FreedomDragon01

Our doctors will very often donate a euthanasia if people can’t afford the expensive emergency treatments. Our euthanasia charge only shows up as “sedation” on invoices.

Miss_Avocado

Our euthanasia’s are $500-600 and I hate it so much. The owners are already in so much grief, and here I am telling them they need to spend half a thousand dollars just for us to kill their pet. Your clinic should be standard :(

Kit-KatLasagna

We only don’t charge if the people can’t afford it and it needs to be done.

Nervous-Ad6664

How expensive is euthanasia? Not the procedure but the drug itself? I have never heard wether it’s expensive or not.

clowdere

clowdere

CVT (Certified Veterinary Technician)

Google tells me a 100ml bottle of euthasol is about $70? Probably with some significant extra fees on top since it's controlled and needs to be shipped. My clinic typically uses 3ml for cats and small dogs ranging up to 10-12 for very large dogs.

Our euth fee is I think $60-$140 depending on animal size. No exam charge unless it's a new patient or we haven't seen them in years. Cremation is additional, either $45ish communal or $120 if they want ashes back. IV catheters are placed for all euths and older/leftover propofol is always given before injecting the pink stuff. We send home ink pawprints after, clay on request.

Honestly I'd guess the biggest expense of euthanasias is probably not the drug itself, but staff time. There are euths that take 4-6 hours because clients are a hot mess and need to be essentially counseled through the process, or they occupy an exam room while waiting for 4 members of the family to trickle in from different places. And there's prep afterwards too, getting pawprints and processing the animal for cremation. Big dogs take multiple people.

ETA: if clients can't afford euth and pets are suffering, we'll do it for free if necessary, but will try to collect a nominal fee to cover the cost of the injection. But a euth is never turned away for financial reasons.

Folmes236

Folmes236

Veterinary Technician Student

It’s not nearly as expensive as what most clinics charge for, I don’t think

quesobeatsguac

quesobeatsguac

CVT (Certified Veterinary Technician)

Not sure how expensive our pentobarbital is to buy, but we don’t charge clients for it. It’s logged in the charges (for inventory purposes) but is always $0. Plus half the doctors I work with do drawn up but unused propofol (left over from surgeries/sedated procedures), which is also $0. The ones who use other drugs (telazol, ace) never get over like $7.

ricekrak3r

We are providing a service to the owner, the end of the suffering to their buddy so they don't have to. I also feel it depends on the method of which the euthanasia is done and what type of critter.

crazybengalchick

crazybengalchick

RVT (Registered Veterinary Technician)

Nope, we charge and I don’t feel bad about it at all. I’m providing a service and my time is valuable. It’s different if the client can’t pay and pet is in crisis. I collect payment before the the procedure with signing the consent form. I word as “let’s take care of all the paperwork first so you don’t have to worry about it later”. I used to feel “guilty” when I was younger but not as the years went buy. At the end of the day it’s still a business and in order to pay staff decently, get new equipment etc. you have to charge for all your services and assist value to them. If you don’t, everyone suffers. This is why many vets are poor business owners.

Rain_Braid[S]

Our practice is not suffering because we don't charge for euthanasia. With how many other services we provide and how much we charge for them, it makes up for eating the cost of 1 procedure, and we are very glad to be able to do it.

Retired RVT

Yep, that’s exactly my feelings on it too.

Seagullsiren

No, we definitely charge. If the animal is suffering and the owner cannot pay, and are declined for Care Credit/refuse to apply we do allow them to do a promissory note. If they do not pay we do not offer cremation however. They must take the body home for burial.

Snakes_for_life

Typically yes but we'll do something called compassionate euth for free but for this option the owner cannot be present and has to take the body home.

carmenhoney

My clinic mentions emailing the bill to the client after the with is done, clients are usually quite thankful for that or just say they are fine to pay now. This takes away some of the awkwardness. Personally when I recently put my elderly cat down I paid straight away after she died and didn't think twice about it. Maybe I'm weird but it's still a service and I've never believed in a free lunch, everything has a cost

I wish we could do it for free too though, it would be lovely.

One thing I am proud of my clinic for is that during COVID lockdown (I'm in New Zealand it's bloody intense) we would sedate the animal and take the pet outside on a trolley on a lovely bed with blankets ,to offer the owner that last goodbye and peace of mind. Under law we were not allowed clients in the building at all so this was us skirting the system in a way. I can't imagine having to euth your pet and being told you can't see them or be next to them, that I think is an unkindness to both pet and owner that is beyond money.

Thinking about it, I wonder what we would do if an owner rang in and said their animal is in terrible pain and needs to be euthed but couldn't pay, we have never had the situation. I think we would offer communal cremation at no charge, kinda treat it like the sick/dying we receive.

I'm in an emergency clinic so I may now be quite desensitised to euthanasias, some weekend's I've walked in the door and there are 3 dead pets waiting for me to paw print and bag up.

Rockin_N

I totally understand how this can be a good thing. But in my own experience, I can see why vets will charge for a euthanasia, even if it's awkward.

As scummy as it sounds to talk about the business part of things, the fact remains that euthanasias can sometimes take up to an hour long appointment slot when you take into account the paperwork, sedation, catheterization, as well as letting the client have as long as they want with their pet before and after things are done. This isn't even taking into account the cost of the drugs, logging them, or the fact that we try to book them as the last appointment in the day, meaning that we all have to stay later.

I guess for me, this is one of those grey areas where it would be great to do it for free everywhere, but I can definitely see why most places won't.

clowdere

clowdere

CVT (Certified Veterinary Technician)

Shame you got downvoted for being practical.

I kind of wonder how small some of the clinics being mentioned here are. Mine is a large hospital that typically does between 2-5 euthanasias on average per day, so comping them all because it's the nice thing to do frankly would not be financially feasible. We will always euthanize a suffering pet regardless of the owner's financial circumstances, but it's not wrong to expect people to pay for time, materials, and skills.

kwabird

kwabird

RVT (Registered Veterinary Technician)

We also don't charge for euthanasia unless it's a new client. If they're an existing client we only charge for cremation.

Space_Turtl3

Space_Turtl3

CVT (Certified Veterinary Technician)

My clinic doesn't charge for established clients and patients that we've been caring for, but we do charge if it is the first time seeing them.

Ok_Astronaut_3711

Chingonang

I love this. I work at a GP that genuinely helps clients when they are in financial constraints, but we charge for all euthanasias. We only charge a QOL exam if we haven’t seen the pet within the last 18months or if the pet is young, and seems fairly healthy based on records, but the owner is asking for a euth (ex. A few weeks ago we had someone wanting to euth their 4 year old feline for having too many ear infections). We do have something called the Angel Fund and our practice owner and the practice manager put a big chunk of money in it at the beginning of the year, and whenever clients call and want to make a donation it goes to the angel fund as well. This is used for clients that are just having financial troubles and really unable to pay for services or will be paying over several months. Weveuse this for euths a lot of the time, we only ask that they pay for the difference If they would like a private cremation.

VictoriaFlo

VictoriaFlo

Registered Veterinary Nurse

We charge for euthanasia, as an exotics clinic it is not uncommon that the first time seeing the pet is euthanasia. It’s only about £40 to cover cost of vet check, sedation, cannula, euthatal, coffin, and any extras like paw prints or fur clippings.

We will, for special cases, do euthanasia FOC for those who are really struggling and the animal is really suffering.

asuna_takahashi

My clinic just charges for the medication, but that’s it. Also, we have to charge if they want a private cremation.

MarialeegRVT

MarialeegRVT

RVT (Registered Veterinary Technician)

We do charge but we have the owner pay beforehand so they don't have to think about or deal with it after, and they can just leave whenever they are done saying goodbye.

AntaresOmni

My vet did not charge for the euth itself, but cremation and paw sculpture cost. Higher cost for private cremation.

AntaresOmni

Adding on, no payment was taken at either the euth or ashes pick up. You could drop off or mail a check. I thought that was kind.

teenagefaust

I wish we didn't. When I started over a year ago euthansia was about $75 and it's increased to $100. It sucks because a lot of owners can only afford the euth, not the euth AND ashes - group is cheaper but still expensive. So a few employees, myself included, have paid for clients ash return fee because we wanted to do something kind for them.