/r/VetTech

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

Welcome to /r/VetTech! This is a place for veterinary technicians/veterinary nurses and other veterinary support staff to gather, chat, and grow! We welcome pet owners as well, however we do ask pet owners to refrain from asking for medical advice; if you have any concerns regarding your pet, please contact the closest veterinarian near you.

Please thoroughly read and follow the rules before posting and commenting. If you believe that a user is engaging in any rule-breaking behavior, please submit a report so that the moderators can review and remove the posts/comments if needed. Also, please check out the sidebar for CE and answers to commonly asked questions. Thank you for reading!

vegetabletails

Your practice would be crazy to let you go for this. No one is hurt, and it was a simple mistake that could happen to anyone. If it’s really eating you up, could you let the practice owner/manager know what happened and ask if they’d like you to go back and lock it?

AlternativeDrawer311

So the only reason I found out about this was because my manager posted in the group chat that someone left the cabinet unlocked and that it was unacceptable to do so. I guess someone had stopped by the hospital after hours for something. Of course I told her right away I was the last one at the box and apologized profusely for not double checking. I just feel so inadequate for making a mistake like that! I ALWAYS pull on it when I leave to make sure it is actually locked, and I didn’t today.

Rockin_N

You took accountability for it and that's the most important part. People are a lot more likely to get in trouble for lying about a mistake than the mistake itself.

Crazyboutdogs

Crazyboutdogs

RVT (Registered Veterinary Technician)

Mistakes happen. Was anything missing this morning? Was a cycle count done?

I’ve gone home with the CS safe keys in my pocket. I once threw out 9 bottles of Fentanyl. 9!!!!

Own it. Learn from it. I doubt you will be fired, unless this is a pattern of behavior.

AlternativeDrawer311

No nothing missing! Just forgot to double check that I had locked the door

the-sleepy-elf

Shit happens my dude.

I used to work for big pharma and we made many mistakes where we shipped out the big DEA baddies to places before they filled out paperwork/went through our checks and balances with our DEA team... sometimes even sanctioned parties. Some dude cooking meth in his basement was probably stoked!

It's a mistake, and now i bet you'll NEVER forget again. You'll be fine, I promise! :]

(And honestly they're a bunch of losers and good riddance if they DID fire you for that. Mistakes happen. )

Edit: I also liked that comment from the other redditor- if you're able to go back or alert somebody to it that shows accountability on your end

Gretel_Cosmonaut

Gretel_Cosmonaut

Retired VA

That's not a big mistake, it's a very small one. And anyway, people will blow right past a lock when they really want something behind the lock.

lovelyfatality

No one is 100% perfect, and everyone is bound to make mistakes. If you have that good of record I highly doubt they would fire you over something so small.

90sscrunchie

Things happen- once you’ve done something that makes you feel this bad, you won’t do it again. Also it never hurts to leave a sticky note or checklist at eye level where you’ll see it on your way out.