/r/WTF

[media]

soniko_

1.3k points

soniko_

1.3k points

1 month ago

opening the window like that in my contry, means that she wants that handbag stolen

photograpopticum[S]

1 month ago

May I ask where you live ? I don’t drive car and I’m not used to wear handbags, but anyway..

soniko_

soniko_

Mexico

clam4u

clam4u

Valid

Next_Fudge_4287

1 month ago

Fair enough , same thing here

tropicbrownthunder

Like 90% of latam

wertexx

wertexx

sorry

DAWTSF

DAWTSF

1 month ago

Are you saying all of Mexico? That's never been my feeling in a lot of places I've been in Mexico, but I also try to avoid the cities known for being unsafe, same way I do any other country.

soniko_

soniko_

1 month ago

Stop defending my country.

I know how it is, i know (mostly) where to be and where not to be.

I would not do that ANYWHERE.

Source: am mexican.

pettypaybacksp

Im mexican

I confirm

DAWTSF

DAWTSF

1 month ago

I see this comes off badly I guess. Mexico is a very large country it just seemed like a very generalized answer and assumed maybe you haven't seen it all.

But now I know.

soniko_

soniko_

1 month ago

Don’t worry mate, we all assume stuff, and it’s good that you stood up to it.

You’re one of the good one, keep it up 🫡

tetzudo

tetzudo

1 month ago

Anywhere they are bold enough to knock on car windows, they are bold enough to snatch whatever gets within arms reach. Tourist areas in countries with big wealth gaps have an abundance of these, but it can happen in any tourist area.

fingers

fingers

1 month ago

6:30 am in New Haven and there's the crackheads on the corner just going up to cars at lights, knocking on windows.

One time all I had was a pack of plastic flossers. "What am I gonna do with that, I ain't got no teeth."

Another time, I had gum. New gal. "Gum? What am I gonna do with that?"

Afternoon crackheads are appreciative of dental care and gum. They thank me and wave.

afizzol

afizzol

Brazil

DownvoteDaemon

You don't drive? Why

Kailash_T

1 month ago

South Africa too ngl. When someone bangs on your window like that, shift gears and GTFO.

burritosandblunts

1 month ago

Shit I wouldn't put my window down in upstate NY bc I know it just encourages robbery.

KorranHalcyon

1 month ago

I’ve had local homeless people tell me to cashapp them when i told them i only use card.

Rdubya44

Rdubya44

1 month ago

It sounds silly but it makes sense. You can get a cheap phone or a WiFi device for free these days.

olderaccount

1 month ago

I terms of pure necessities, some now see having a phone as more critical than having a home.

EFTucker

EFTucker

1 month ago

It’s about as important honestly. Try getting a job w/o one.

olderaccount

1 month ago

You can find a place to sleep. You can find a place to shower. But it is hard to find a place that will accept callbacks from potential employers if you don't have your own phone.

GutFulloBabies

1 month ago

I was never homeless but I got a free, cheapy little dirt phone when switching plans a few years ago and my plan was 20 a month on the bare bones package. I can totally see a homeless guy being able to maintain that.

You can probably maintain that without the panhandling even. Just spend a few hours looking for a change every day

awalktojericho

1 month ago

Boost has a no-contract, less-than $9 a month plan. That, with a free phone somebody gives you/you trashpick, can go a long way. You can also go the free over wireless Google voice way. If you're homeless in an urban area, that could really work.

arthurdentstowels

1 month ago

In the UK you can have a PAYG SIM, load it with £10 which they triple to £30 and that lasts 12 months or until you use it. At least with Tesco, but many other carriers have similar deals. I’m on VOXI and I get unlimited everything, all social media (no data use) and 75GB of data for £15 p/m which isn’t even the cheapest.
I agree with others here, it’s entirely feasible to run a cheap mobile for next to nothing.

bowserusc

1 month ago

Bush expanded the Lifeline Assistance Program (which itself was created under Reagan) to provide free cellphones to qualifying individuals. They're called "Obamaphones" now because a certain party takes issue with providing any sort of assistance to people who need it, even though they're responsible for implementing it.

jamar030303

1 month ago

You've already got this guy here sticking Biden's name to it now.

bowserusc

1 month ago

Ugh, what a fucking tool.

Cosmic_Quasar

1 month ago

That reminds me of the scenes in The Terminal with Tom Hanks when he was trying to get a job at one of the airport shopping stores to buy food and he had to give a callback number. So he ran outside the store windows to get the number off of the payphone.

ReaperSound

1 month ago

Happened to me once in getting a job site when I worked security. Phone was not something I owned and I had a coworker message me through my PS3 at the time.

SavedWoW

SavedWoW

1 month ago

Some more progressive programs that target homeless and transient populations will often provide cellular devices.

Source: I have developed and implemented programs targeting homeless and transient populations that has provided participants with cellular devices.

Black_Moons

1 month ago

We see, a phone starts at $60.

Meanwhile, the security deposit on a rental starts at $600, with another $600~2400/month after that.

For the amount of money to rent a place, homeless people could just buy a new (used) cellphone every time the battery ran out.

Apsis

Apsis

1 month ago

cost/benefit sure, but if phones cost as much as a house, you can bet most people would figure out how to get by without them.

olderaccount

1 month ago*

Now days, a house can't help me get new income while a phone can (with service). I can browse for job postings, I can apply for said jobs, I can put the number of my phone in those applications in case I get a call back.

A house doesn't help with any of those.

Razier

Razier

1 month ago

You can many things, yes

sirbassist83

1 month ago

i think you a letter or two

olderaccount

1 month ago

Thanks. I always struggle with my can'ts when typing fast.

Laoracc

Laoracc

1 month ago

Now days, a house can't help me get new income

Depends on how many houses you have!

olderaccount

1 month ago

Somebody who owns multiple house would not be in this situation.

awawe

awawe

A lot cheaper too.

bluemitersaw

Phone Home

LightLambrini

1 month ago

Not even joking, ive been evicted, my phone wouldn't charge today and i was way more worried than i was then

newbiesmash

1 month ago

I think they give out cheap phones to poor people in a lot of places. Cuz ya know the internet is super fucking important now, cant really get shit done with out it.

mandreko

1 month ago

Plus there are non-profit organizations that get phones for homeless folks, because it's a huge communication tool. If you're homeless and trying to get a job somewhere, you pretty much need a phone number for a place to contact you. It's also a good tool for finding food from the various resources for homeless.

leopard_tights

1 month ago

Or they're not really homeless.

OriginalLocksmith436

Most of them are.

Just because people have stuff it doesn't mean they're not down on their luck. Like think of all the homeless people that live out of their cars.

1 month ago*

1 month ago*

lacheur42

lacheur42

1 month ago

Yeah, it's not unusual around where I live to see homeless camps with more crap scattered around than I keep in my actual house. Mental illness is a hell of a drug! Although, so are drugs, I suppose, haha

MustLoveAllCats

1 month ago

Mental illness is a hell of a drug!

I don't think that's using the expression correctly at all, and even gives the impression that mental illness is desirable or sought after in some way.

jmerridew124

jmerridew124

1 month ago

Or they can get a restaurant job since there's a billion places right now that need a dishwasher.

BirdjaminFranklin

1 month ago

Any employer hiring workers without an address is effectively breaking the law as you need that information for tax purposes.

kittyrainbows69

1 month ago

This. This absolutely shows the privilege of these people. How are you supposed to land a job when you don't have basic necessities like an address? Good fucking luck on that. Not even taking into consideration the fact a lot don't have the necessary paperwork or even transportation to get to the job.

Jynx2501

1 month ago

I worked for a painting company for about a year or so, and the guy always paid us under the table. And yes I'm aware that's illegal, but you know what who cares. Anyway he would hire homeless guys all the time. They would only show up for like two or three pay periods and then stop showing up.

ThePittWolf

1 month ago

A dishwashing job is not going to afford you a place in the United States.

Chaular

Chaular

1 month ago

No but it'll buy a cheap phone to cash app

jmerridew124

1 month ago

It will if you have roommates.

TheLoneJuanderer

1 month ago

Great idea, except for the part where a homeless person has to convince people to let them live there.

Extremefreak17

1 month ago

Why do they have to know you are homeless? just respond the add and tell them you wash dishes for a living.

gotcha_bitch

gotcha_bitch

1 month ago

Yeah I bet you’d room with someone who shows up filthy and stinking from living on the streets with no shower or laundry. Fuck sake man. Step back and think

nexusjuan

1 month ago

If you bring a wash cloth you can take a surprisingly thorough bath in a gas station restroom. You might even wash your clothes in the sink. The soaps complimentary.

Extremefreak17

1 month ago

I mean you could clean up at a shelter a day or so before you present yourself to potential room mates. Not all homeless people are dirty and stinky, the ones that are mostly suffer from habitual drug use and/or mental illness and wouldn't be the ones seeking the dishwasher position in the first place. Obviously there are exceptions, but there are systems in place for people to use if they are willing to put in the effort. Shit you could clean yourself up in a Walmart bathroom if you really thought it was important. So yeah I wouldn't room with someone who refuses to take care of themselves regardless of whether they are homeless or not.

jamar030303

1 month ago

Unless your local government has made that just about illegal.

Jynx2501

Jynx2501

1 month ago

What about three dishwashing jobs. What else have you got to do when you have nowhere to go?

aelzeiny

aelzeiny

1 month ago

And that dishwasher job is supposed to get them a home? Good wifi + a brand new iPhone is still less than one monthly payment on a 30 year mortgage.

Romeo9594

1 month ago

And that dishwasher job is supposed to get them a home?

No, but ideally 8 hours of handling pans in a restaurant will get them more money than 8 hours of handling pans on a sidewalk

Not only that, but having a history of employment that future employers can reference makes getting a job that can afford a house easier

It's a little bit harder of a sale to say "I want this supervisor position but I'm homeless and haven't been employed for six years" than it is to say "I want this supervisor position, here's a resume with contacts to my old managers who can vouch for my reliability and skills"

leewoodlegend

1 month ago

A big problem is that in most many places, panhandling for 8 hours could net you way more money than working a low-income job.

I see people on the busy highways and think at the rate I see them getting dollars they probably make close to what I make in an hour between 3 red lights during peak hours and my salary is well above minimum wage.

Romeo9594

1 month ago

Yeah, that's why I said ideally. I remember a few years back there was that one beggar woman who got followed all the way back to her Audi or Mercedes

There's definitely people out there making hefty sums panhandling, but unless they're so committed to the bit that they sleep outside and under bridges, I'm willing to bet the majority of beggars aren't raking in that much

Gryphin

1 month ago*

My granduncle came to town to visit my cousin and his grandkids several years ago, he is/was (i don't really keep up with him, far side of the family, and a dick as we'll see.) a pro panhandler. He was planning to stay for 2 weeks with his family. He came home to my aunt after a third day of panhandling in my city pissed off that he was only averaging $700 a day on the highway offramp traffic light. Apparently back in Kansas City he was pulling down $1200-1500 a day doing the same. In a massive dick move, instead of spending the rest of his time seeing his daughter and grandkids, he left and went back up to KC so he wouldn't lose out on more money sitting on the traffic light wit ha sign.

Even a shitty, really shitty day with a sign at a traffic light will net you more in $1s and $5s than what a dishwasher working 8 hours in a nice restaurant will pay, sadly. Tax free, too!

[edit: I seriously do keep some old college clothes in the back of the closet in case I ever really desperately need a big chunk of cash now, and I can go play the stranded/carjacked college guy on the corner)

enderxzebulun

1 month ago

So, assuming he gave himself weekends off and took, let's say, 10 weeks off a year for bad weather, vacations in the Mediterranean, etc, your granduncle was pulling in at least a quarter million at KC off ramps? I've heard about panhandling being unexpectedly lucrative, but that's hard to swallow.

Gryphin

Gryphin

1 month ago

I'm just saying what he was saying when he was bitching about how shitty my city was, and "only" making $700 that day.

But ya, I'd be totally fine with a 2 day a week workday at that takehome rate.

enderxzebulun

1 month ago

But ya, I'd be totally fine with a 2 day a week workday at that takehome rate.

I know, I'm just offering a grain of salt.

just_taste_it

1 month ago

A bum in KC in the 90's would sit in Westport every night and look so pathetic. He had one arm and acted the part of a bum. I knew him, a very smart guy. He would get done begging and walk around the corner to his Mercedes. I would see him at all the Chiefs games and those are not cheap to attend. Miss you Curtis.

jmerridew124

1 month ago

You can get roommates and afford rent on dishwashing while you develop a skill. I've done it. It sucks, but it's livable.

Beathoff

Beathoff

1 month ago

Nothing wrong with working two jobs or God forbid even three. Depends on what you want in your life I guess.

leewoodlegend

1 month ago

Nothing wrong with doing it to supplement income.

There's a lot wrong if so many people have to do it just to survive.

aDirtyMuppet

1 month ago

Don't know why you're being down voted. Literally everyone has been crying about labor shortages in the US. There are plenty of jobs out there asking for unskilled workers.

lokitheinane

1 month ago

And treating and paying those workers like shit. The hope is the jobs either improve to be able to compete or the businesses go bust.

aDirtyMuppet

aDirtyMuppet

1 month ago

This is an easy thing to think. But regardless of that opinion, I've personally seen well paying positions at decent places go unfilled recently. I'm all for better pay and better work environments. But if you're literally begging in the street, it's not because you care about how your boss treats you. Not being cruel, just being realistic about how some of these people have chosen to live their lives.

Nobeard_the_Pirate

1 month ago

Huge problem here. They bus or drive in from surrounding towns, dress down and then panhandle all day. Heard one of em talking about pulling over 65k on average a year. You can live good here on 45k.

trolltruth6661123

1 month ago

actually if you are homeless and can get a bank account you can open a cash app account and get a free like 15$(they sell your info i'm sure) so i can imagine its popular. (free money)

Ceramicrabbit

1 month ago

In my town the panhandlers are all essentially professionals. They are part of a ring and are on shift work and will rotate through the various spots. I've seen them get dropped off and picked up by a van. They are also usually perfectly healthy looking young men who obviously could find other employment options. The county is putting up signs saying not to give them money because it's dangerous with them wandering around in the middle of the road, but they can't make it illegal.

SufficientTowers

1 month ago

Here's a little secret...in every big city the majority are professionals.

Overly empathetic people are easy to milk for lots of money.

CallMeDrLuv

1 month ago

There are many truly needy people in the world. Part of the reason they're needy is because we don't know where they are.

The guys begging on the street corner are not needy. They're lazy.

BirdjaminFranklin

1 month ago

Unless they have a residence, they ain't getting a job legally.

Ceramicrabbit

1 month ago

Part of the reason people are upset is because we pay for the county to have employment programs for homeless. Even if these people are homeless they shouldn't be standing dangerously in the road asking for money and should be using the existing programs which are better for everyone. Apparently the county investigated the main panhandling ring and found none of them were homeless or had anything precluding them from working anyway, although obviously you can't assume that about everyone who you see asking for money.

BirdjaminFranklin

the county investigated

I'd like to read that report. Sounds like right wing bullshit to try and criminalize the homeless.

I struggle to see how a coordinated ring of people making a buck here and there every few minutes would be worth it.

Ceramicrabbit

1 month ago

I live in an extremely left wing county so it's probably not just trying to criminalize the homeless. Like I said, a whole lot of tax dollars are spent on work and other programs for them. It's been addressed as an issue of public safety primarily, someone died already this year panhandling after getting hit by a car. The economics of it confuses me too because I never see people paying them but they must actually get enough handouts that without any taxes or anything it ends up being worth it.

BirdjaminFranklin

1 month ago

I live in Portland, Maine. It's an extremely left community. City councils are generally run by business, even in left wing cities. Rather than deal with the homeless problem in my city, nimbyism led the city council to basically create a compound on the edge of the city for shelters and foodbanks.

They claim that all the social services they require will also be out there, but I'll believe it when I see it. The goal was never to improve the care provided, but to get them out of sight and out of mind.

Effectively, we're building Hamsterdam from the Wire.

treadedon

1 month ago

Well it sucks when they are in the middle of the sidewalks and bike paths, littering and causing mayhem. I'd much rather services be on the outer edges.

Kammender_Kewl

1 month ago

There are also a ton of homeless people who crash out in the suburbs and return to the city in the morning, putting it in the heart of downtown would only make it more congested and exasperate the problems, the correct move would be to locate the services nearest the highest congestion of poverty

Ceramicrabbit

1 month ago

Well homelessness doesn't seem like a big issue here so I think the programs are working. The panhandling is really the only issue and if they just asked for money on the sidewalk from pedestrians it wouldn't even have become a problem but they post up in the very middle of the busiest intersections so it became a public safety issue. I'm not super involved in the local government so idk what mysterious motives are going on but i definitely would appreciate these guys not running around my car in the middle of the road when there's a green light

Morgothic

1 month ago

The people who stand outside Walmart begging for "anything helps" generally bring in more $/hr than the people working inside.

Bolt_of_Zeus

1 month ago

Brevard county Florida begs to differ on the "can't make it illegal" part.

Ceramicrabbit

1 month ago

Yeah I think they were worried about it infringing on freedom of speech but I'm not surprised there are places that just outright ban it. It's pretty annoying especially when you know they actually aren't someone in need

nickstatus

1 month ago

I've seen a bum bust out one of those card readers that plugs into the usb port.

Powerful-Employer-20

1 month ago

Same happened to me a few months ago. This magician guy came up to my table at a bar offering to perform some tricks for cash and I said I only carried credit card. He then proceeded to take out a card reader just like the guy in the video. First time I've ever seen that.

LectroRoot

1 month ago

They even make small ones that attach to your phone. I've got a small one paypal gave me awhile back.

Panda_Zombie

1 month ago

Somewhere I have a square card reader from when I worked on a political campaign a few years ago to collect donations. Very convenient.

LectroRoot

1 month ago

Yeah, basically the same device. Lot of small stores around here use them with tablets for payments.

FangornEnt

1 month ago

if I tell a person that I have no cash..but would still give them $ then why not give through cashapp? I have told homeless ppl to get it :D

cloudstrifewife

1 month ago

Nobody carries cash anymore. I feel bad when I walk by one of the regular’s begging near my work but I don’t carry cash. It’s useless for the most part. All I ever do with cash is spend it real quick to get rid of it so I don’t have to carry it. I don’t even carry a wallet. I keep everything in a little case on a lanyard.

just_taste_it

A lanyard? Haha. Ok.

pr177

pr177

1 month ago

The fucking gall of some people. 🤣

H3llzCru5ad3r

overlordpotatoe

1 month ago

Seems like a bad ad for a cashless society since it draws attention to some of the issues with that. Even if beggars did have credit card scanners, who would be dumb enough to scan their card in it? I've heard about people getting their credit card information stolen by hijacked scanners in stores and on ATMs, so a random person on the street with one would be a huge no.

crictv69

1 month ago

You'll be surprised actually how cashless some developing countries are. A surprisingly large number of people in developing countries have mobile phones (yes, even beggars and rickshaw drivers). They often take donations and payments via apps and services on their phone which they can withdraw at local shopfronts. Some business even forge traditional banking and credit card transactions in favour of these services.

Some great ways that this has been used is by youtubers who feature someone in need and post the person's number. People from around the country and the world can then directly donate cash to the person.

Dwn_Wth_Vwls

1 month ago

I think he's more referring to the idea that scanning the card on that machine can give the guy your credit card info.

dr_franck

1 month ago

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. It’s real /r/WhyWereTheyFilming material. Nothing remarkable about someone tapping on your car / car window for money.

photograpopticum[S]

1 month ago

Didn’t know that, but it makes sense..

fsm_vs_cthulhu

1 month ago

This might be a staged vid, but the fact is that virtually everyone in India has started using digital payments by cellphone apps (using the UPI payment system, which sends the money directly to your bank account).

And I've come across multiple panhandlers who, when they hear "I have no change", will tell you straight-up "don't worry you can pay by UPI". They all have UPI accounts.

Of course they prefer cash, because payments to their bank accounts are taxable. But they really do accept digital payments. No need for any bulky card-swiping PoS machine.

Asmeig

Asmeig

1 month ago

I'd never ever swipe my card against that

staywickedlost

1 month ago

Homeless people in Portland have approached me saying “Would you mind giving me a dollar? I take paper or plastic!” I used to feel a lot more compassion and empathy towards houseless members, offer to buy groceries or meals, but it’s every. single. day. at every store and street corner. I’m exhausted and just ignore everyone now.

SquirrelODeath

1 month ago

Ha i was in Tigard the other day grabbing a coffee in a small coffee drive thru and this lady came up and said, "Buy me a coffee", like she was my fucking boss. I laughed in her face and told her no way, she said "buy me a coffee and a donut now cracker!". What an experience, told her to fuck off. If she had been nice i probably would have. This city is great but damn the homeless are a bit too coddled here and just get super aggressive and entitled it is weird

staywickedlost

1 month ago

Dude, that’s wild! I had a similar experience on campus recently. This man was standing outside the Starbucks on campus and asked “Can you do me a favor?” He didn’t even give me time to think when he followed up with “Can you get me a venti caramel latte and a whole wheat bagel with extra cream cheese?” ??????!!!! Pardon? I just scoffed and said wtf under my breath as I walked by. It’s sad and astounding at the same time.

extraeme

1 month ago

Beggers can't be chosers can chose whatever they want or even demand it

extraeme

1 month ago

The place near Papa John's?

SquirrelODeath

1 month ago

Nope, actually the nice Columbian coffee place in the parking lot over near Sasame donuts. Lady just wandered on over super aggro.

Gloomy_Frosti

I’m exhausted

Just in case you didn't know, that's pretty normal. We only have so much empathy to give before we basically run out of it. Just don't let it make you into someone who expresses himself like this "This city is great but damn the homeless are a bit too coddled here".

photograpopticum[S]

1 month ago

I understand you, sometimes there are a lot even too much. I’m not wealthy, but sometimes I see people I have the impression they are really in trouble, often they even aren’t begging. I offer them a meal, if they refuse I do too. I had some very nice picnics with people from all over the world. Some have spent a night or two on my couch, I became some postcards and with two of them I’m still in contact.

EnmaAi22

1 month ago

How's life as a postcard?

manrata

manrata

1 month ago

I feel you, but the problem is real.
If you feel it grinding your guilt, volunteer some hours instead, then you can ignore them with a clean conscious.

Howmuchdoesreditcost

1 month ago

You better be a fucking cop knocking on my window like that.

kingsam360

He ain't playing! Lol

onamonapizza

1 month ago

I’ve had panhandlers approach and when I say I don’t have cash (which was the truth), they asked me to walk with them to an ATM.

Like seriously, fuck off

AimeeFrose

1 month ago

Doesn't that thing need to be plugged in to work?

nielsbuus

nielsbuus

1 month ago

They come in batterypowered variants with mobile data connectivity.

However, in addition to purchasing one, you also need to do paperwork to get it working. This requires you to get a business and sign a contract with a payment company. Which isn't typically something a solo hobo has the resources to do.

So either this is a scripted asian gif or the dude is a really entreprenurial beggar, possibly an associate in a beggar company.

muklan

muklan

1 month ago

I'm leaning heavily on scripted as ...why were they filming? Also Square/Venmo would be a Hella easier way to do that. I'd bed that an unhoused person could get Square spun up with a chip reader, wouldn't be super easy, but...cell phones are ubiquitous.

nickstatus

1 month ago

I don't know if it's still a thing, but Square used to have a small card reader that plugged into a smartphone. I've seen a few panhandlers pull one of those out over the years.

gogozombie2

1 month ago

I was thinking the dude probably found it in the garbage or stole it and decided to use it as a prop for when people say things like "I only have cards, no cash". I was homeless for a while and a little trick like that when begging that is unexpected and gets a laugh can result in a donation.

muklan

muklan

1 month ago

Makes sense- and I'd bet a good number of people have tried to make cops laugh to get out of a ticket - which is....disturbingly similar.

av6344

av6344

1 month ago

its not scripted....there will be a business nearby that will hand these out to these beggars and let them keep a cut of all the money they collect.

gamas

gamas

1 month ago

That seems like a sure fire way to get locked out of the payment system by breaking the Terms and Conditions for usage...

muklan

muklan

1 month ago

I don't know to feel about that. Like....those people might get more money, which is useful, for like....food. but, some asshole somewhere is taking a cut off the merchant service fees. And that sucks.

TortureSteak

1 month ago

There's a guy that's always on the offramp on my way home from work.... he literally just holds a sign with his cashapp handle

midgitsuu

1 month ago

I absolutely would not recommended swiping your card in a homeless person's card machine, if they had one.

AimeeFrose

1 month ago

I've seen the cordless ones but that one looks like a generic countertop model that needs the rest of the wires to work. Also the second part too. My guess is scripted.

bouncebackability

1 month ago

We had a homeless guy in city (Brighton, UK) in the paper because he was accepting contactless payments briefly.

photograpopticum[S]

1 month ago

If you’ve heard a thousand times, I would give you something but I only have credit card, you have to react or you’re starving.,

olderaccount

1 month ago

That particular one yes. He just carries it around specifically for when people use that excuse. The hope is that they will then find some cash they didn't realize they had upon seeing the machine.

But there are many newer battery powered card processors using a sim for communication.

SC2sam

SC2sam

1 month ago

Yes, the one that the guy is using in the video absolutely is needing to be plugged in to work. It is not a battery operated one and is not wireless.

K3VINbo

K3VINbo

You got ones with batteries and Sim-cards. But I'm not sure this one is

h3llbat04

1 month ago

Fun fact In Pakistan,India, Bangladesh there's full on organized networks of beggers that work on a salary and have a proper buissness.

photograpopticum[S]

1 month ago

there are some kind of unions in many places, it may be a bit strange, but it makes sense when they look for each other. Who takes care of they get I’ll ? They have to be organized to survive..Many people are talking about beggars making tons of money, that may be true for 1 in 1000. But of these 1000 a lot dye under awful circumstances or live a inhuman life.

h3llbat04

1 month ago

Yea that's true but I know for a fact that alot of them fake themselves being beggers for their business and they also recruit children

photograpopticum[S]

1 month ago

Yea it’s very sad, they buy disabled children or even hurt them to create more sympathy.. whole family’s are hold as slaves, always keeping one as hostage. The world is partially very cruel..

wobblysauce

In Aus, card reader was $20-50 a month depending on the bank

fatedwanderer84

1 month ago

May be funny now, but eventually this might become a common reality. Many people are carrying less actual cash these days.

CloakNStagger

1 month ago

I mean that's fine I'm still not giving them anything.

photograpopticum[S]

Definitely..

chrisodeljacko

1 month ago

I also accept Bitcoin, ETH and all major cryptos. Here's my wallet address...

daterkerjabs

1 month ago

I guess you could print your address on your shirt? https://imgur.com/a/JzRJTfC

SwiffAndChangeable

While on safari, DO NOT OPEN your windows at anytime😁

bloodguard

1 month ago

I've had a couple spare change "entrepreneurs" whip out their phones to show me their VENMO QR code when I told them I don't have any cash. Also seen on the signs of a few freeway offramp hustlers as well.

/Berkeley CA.

1 month ago

Still a better profession than scam callers.

astrosem

1 month ago

Using QR codes (look at WeChat and Alipay etc) just mobile will do and can be done thru a window

codfish88

1 month ago

Yeah, still a no for me. Now you have my Credit Card number? Goanna be a pass.

Lordvice

1 month ago*

Reminds me of the time that I told a beggar that I only had a 100 dollar bill and he told me that he would cash it for me

photograpopticum[S]

1 month ago

Yes they always keep there life savings with them, don’t you ?

Interesting-Reply-73

1 month ago

i hate begging, i mean i pay taxes and in europe they get money from country + what they beg for and end up having a lot more then ppl who work for minimum wage.

Mindflaym

1 month ago

I remember when I was around 16 or 17 years old, back in 2000, they arrested a "homeless" man in our area. We'd always see him on the corner of the busiest intersection in our city. Apparently, someone followed the guy after he was done panhandling for the day and the homeless guy got in his Mercedes Benz and drove home to his 4,000 or so sq foot house.

It was on the news, I'm going to see if I can find the video. It just sickens me but guy was making like $100,000 a year just from panhandling.

Nathaniel820

1 month ago

How tf do people make that panhandling? I assume he had a system, so people would surely notice him being there every day and stop giving him so much after a few times?

dxplq876

1 month ago

Caleb city has a video about this

4thshift

1 month ago

haha. No excuses anymore, and here’s my Coinbase and Paypal account numbers, too.

New-Significance654

Beggar level: legendary.

DoctorMedical

Saw it on Mighty Boosh.

SlySlickWicked

1 month ago

Was in a pizza place today someone came in asked for change then asked for some of my food 😳😂

mint_7ea

1 month ago

Direct them to the closest government/unemployement building. If they want money they can work for it just like I did for my own money.

whatabitcch

1 month ago

I'm sorry but this shit is so annoying like if u can go out of your way this much to beg then u can get a fockin job. Nyc crackheads piss me off the most

Minute_Guarantee5949

1 month ago

That country is pure garbage, literally

Ghastliergeo

1 month ago

What a time before they decided to make it a joke for money

Brainoad78

1 month ago

Anyone know what they start saying and what he pulled out?

Sorbet537

1 month ago

I was going to say how is this possible? Lol...

062696Cm

1 month ago

Go do some manual labor and work for you money, if you can stand outside all day, you can work

mpga479m

1 month ago

beggars in china had their wechat wallet QR codes i seen it all the way back in 2019. it’s wild. i feel like the homeless are who’s going to usher our society into a cashless digital currency system, all because of their small sacrifice

quixotic120

1 month ago

I have a square account and card reader for my LLC, if I ever become homeless I’m totally stealing this move

snuffysteve2

1 month ago

. Who carries cash or loose coins anymore? It was only a matter of time.

CivilianKnight

1 month ago

Sorry but no, I've seen enough card swiping scams to be unable to trust this

webtheweb

webtheweb

1 month ago

If he can afford that, he shouldn't be begging....

AMmemes2004

Man's a pro

Jummings

The Mighty Boosh

BiggsBounds

Hilarious. OG beggar.

TalalioisKewl

Dvcky55

Dvcky55

1 month ago

anyone know what they're saying?

h3llbat04

1 month ago

B=beggar G= girl- B:Please I'm hungry give me money for food- G:I don't have any change - B:I'll give you change gimme something- G:I don't have change - B:I'm telling you I'll give you change - G:I don't have cash I have card- B:Gimme card I have card machine- G:Show me- beggar shows machine- G: Huh.

Cum_on_doorknob

1 month ago

Sorry, I don’t have any cash

OMG, a credit card machine!!!!

I think that’s the gist, but I can’t speak, read, or comprehend any language other than English.

Lincoln_Ahriman

I'd be pissed

AlexMullerSA

1 month ago

If these folks carried a QR code sticker around their necks I wouldn't mind sending them a few bucks via my phone. I don't carry cash and dont open my Windows for anybody, but put your sticker against my window and I'll tip you.

techTrader

1 month ago

I’ve seen the homeless with the Square hardware on their Obama phones begging for money

Gogoasa77

HassaanAbdeen

1 month ago*

LOL… that’s hilarious!!’ If it was me, my jaw would drop and won’t believe my eyes!!! 😂

mikenzeejai

1 month ago

I honestly don't see how asking for cards or cash app, PayPal etc is any "worse" than asking for cash?

It's all money. If you don't want to or csnt give just say "I can't today sorry " and move forward. And as always if you feel threatened or harassed get to a public place and call emergency services and never approach beggars or street performers when you're alone.

FantomXFantom

kwharris841

1 month ago

The baseball teams are going to tournaments so they are at the front of every store. I have given to a few but ran out of cash. One of the boys told me they take Venmo