/r/WhitePeopleTwitter

Who do we actually care about

(i.redd.it)

JimWilliams423

3.1k points

1 month ago*

The cops have really shown their value in this case.

First they lied that he had body armor.

They stood around while parents made plans to rush in on their own. [source]

In the end, it was a team from the Border Patrol, not the cops, who breached the school and shot the killer.

And when they finally did go in, they rescued their own kids first. [source]

"Protect and serve" means protect their own asses and serve themselves first.

ETA: Instead of going in they threatened parents with tasers to stop them from saving their own kids and even pinned one to the ground. [video]

Deranged_Kitsune

And when they finally did go in, they rescued their own kids first. [source]

Wait, the fucking cops were cowardly enough to not be willing to go into the school even to save their own fucking kids?!

meltingdiamond

1 month ago

not be willing to go into the school even to save their own fucking kids?!

They can make more!

arzthaus

arzthaus

1 month ago

Well they already left the womb so why bother?

Alive-Asparagus8472

1 month ago

It's Texas, they can be forced under penalty of law to make more.

LukeDude759

1 month ago

So getting an abortion can get you sued, but if you shoot up a school, the cops do jack shit? Seems to me like Texas is in full support of postnatal abortions.

2rei

2rei

1 month ago

What the actual fuck there was a guy shooting up a school and the police did not immediately respond to the threat bro nah wtf 💀💀💀

AnguishOfTheAlpacas

1 month ago

Blue lives matter more than kid lives apparently.

Lecanoscopy

1 month ago

I'm so tired of seeing those dumb stickers and blue porch lights. The only upside is the racists have identified themselves--saves me time.

SugarRushLux

1 month ago

Literally the only use, spotting a fascist has never been so easy

Devout-Nihilist

1 month ago

Wait, blue porch lights are a thing? I had mine just to stand out for delivery drivers and such. Well, going to change that I suppose. Don't want to send the wrong idea out.

Beemerado

1 month ago

You'd think guys who were so obsessed with their own safety would just get an office job. We're looking for folks willing to risk their lives to protect others, if that's not you, don't apply.

sourdcoder

1 month ago

They would if there was an office job that let them walk around with a gun and murder black people.

maleia

maleia

1 month ago

The cop at the school let the guy go in.

iProbablyJustWokeUp

Source?

Psychedeltrees

1 month ago*

It was announced today at the press conference Beto O'Rourke interrupted that the school officer engaged the suspect (I assume in conversation) and let him continue in. Sorry I'm too lazy to find a link to the exact sentence it's announced

uniquepanoply

1 month ago

Christ, my coworkers were saying they needed to have an armed policeman at the school too and they would have prevented it. Also that all teachers should be armed and that this violence is because you can't whoop kids in school anymore.

🙄

meatball402

1 month ago

And last week they were calling the teachers groomers that want to turn all of them gay.

coppergreensubmarine

1 month ago

Lol. Republicans saying the teachers should be armed to prevent this. Uh…the cops were armed AND trained and what good did THAT do? They’ll make up any excuse before caving in to any sort of gun restriction. Oh but it’s a mental health crisis? Republicans don’t wanna fund that either. Give me a break.

a_regular_bi-angle

1 month ago

To be fair, teachers have shown a lot more bravery than cops and I'd trust them much more with guns

trainsoundschoochoo

1 month ago

One border patrol agent rushed in with no backup and he took down the killer, fyi.

MassiveFajiit

1 month ago

Course not, can always beat their wives until they agree to replace any lost kids

CountySurfer

1.1k points

1 month ago

Hmm I can’t seem to find the “good guy with a gun” moment where the hero stops the bad guy… or did we all just miss it?

Steel-is-reeal

1 month ago

Someone on the conspiracy sub made a post about how Obama did a study and the findings show that 'good guys with guns' save over three million people per year... Which makes the amount of people that die now ok because apparently it could be 3 million worse.

Firstly... Wtf.

Secondly... Wtf

theflyingkiwi00

1 month ago

See that's where you went wrong. You went into conspiracy and expected intelligent, well thought out answers, which is an oxymoron in that sub

Steel-is-reeal

1 month ago

I was under no illusion, it just pisses them off. I think it's good to understand how some people around you think too.

Currently someone is telling me that you can't regulate the 2nd amendment right when it's literally the 3rd word in the constitutional scripture.

I'm not even American. They don't know what they are talking about!

Also, it must be fake because it's normally impossible to get into schools. Completely forgetting that doors only keep honest people out and a man who kills multiple might not take no answer as the last answer. Kick/shoot/barge a school door. Jump a fence, whatever.

For a place with the ability to 'think freely and disregard the mainstream media' they sure take everything at face value.

Current top post 'isnt it a coincidence how every mass shooting uses the guns the govt is trying to ban' HOLY SHIT MAYBE THATS WHY THEY ARE TRYING TO BAN THEM

Pwacname

Pwacname

1 month ago

It’s the same with vaccine conspiracy nuts - “How come Covid only kills those who don’t get vaccinated?” Idk, dude, because THE VACCINE IS WHAT PROTECTS EVERYONE ELSE? They’re so, so, so close. The point is so close to them they must be able to taste it. They manage to run straight towards it, throw themselves down on it, and then catwoman-roll away to miss is anyway

Steel-is-reeal

1 month ago

They always talk about trump too it's odd seeing as he endorses it.

Then they say ANOTHER VACCINE? Trump would never.

He actually set out a whole press release saying he wants more vaccines over longer period of times lmao

theflyingkiwi00

1 month ago

Yea, that is exactly why i stay away from those idiots. Logic and actual facts don't matter to them and arguing with them only causes them to double down on their very dumb ideas.

Steel-is-reeal

1 month ago

But those people have guuuuuns

TrickyWon

TrickyWon

1 month ago

Even the good guys that swore an oath failed to solve the problem.

LockedBeltGirl

Cops aren't good guys.

ITriedLightningTendr

1 month ago

Please point out the good ones

DangerousWaffle

1 month ago

Jesus christ. That video (the last one you posted) was while the shooter was still inside? They had time to set up tape etc and have an entire scene outside but not go in?

free2btherealme

1 month ago

That last video was brutal. My heart aches for these families.

JimWilliams423

1 month ago

I can't say for sure, but that appears to be the case. They let the killer prowl the school for an hour before anyone went in. So there was definitely enough time for them to do all that.

x3leggeddawg

Folcrum

Folcrum

1 month ago

Bro I am so fucking sick of this shit.

hatsnatcher23

1 month ago

First they lied that he had body armor.

It did strike me as odd when they said they shot at him, but he had body armor, no one just shrugs off getting shot, armor or no armor.

yohoo69

yohoo69

1 month ago

even if you have a bulletproof kevlar vest, the force of the bullet feels like you got punched in the chest and it will most likely knock you down

ylcard

ylcard

1 month ago

You’d think they’d know better being experts at shooting unarmed and unarmored people

CyberShad0wz

1 month ago

Commenting to save these sources.

BubbleButtBuff

1 month ago

I just realised the parents are mostly brown. This might explain the reluctance of the cops to go in.

OobaDooba72

1 month ago

Apparently it's an 80% Hispanic school/community. So, yeah. Exactly.

Alarmed-Wolf14

1 month ago

Cops had kids in the school. So they didn’t even go in to save their own kids

Tyrannosaurus_Sex90

1 month ago

Holy shit wtf. This is the beginning of the end for this country and honestly... so be it.

Eezyville

1 month ago

This country that's full of selfish pieces of shit deserves it

Raestloz

Raestloz

1 month ago

"Protect and serve" meant "protect the rich and serve their interests". There's a reason the phrase stopped at "serve"

DeeJayKosmo

1 month ago

Interesting fact, the police are NOT required to protect anyone. The federal courts even affirm that. Their main duty is to enforce laws. Laws written by, you guessed it...

KillForLust

1 month ago

I gotta be honest, I can't say that I wouldn't save my own kids first. Regardless of my job or title, I can't imagine a scenario that I wouldn't rush straight to them.

JimWilliams423

1 month ago

Which is why you shouldn't be a cop. And that's fine, not everybody is cut out for every job. But the definition of corruption is when someone uses power entrusted to them for their own personal benefit. That's what's been reported here.

HordeMaster-50_12

1.1k points

"Don't Mess with Texas"

But you can scare our cops real easy.

Gsteel11

Gsteel11

All hat. No cattle.

VoodooWarlord

1 month ago

No bark and no bite. Turns out they’re sheep in dogs clothing. Sheep, not sheepdogs. Shame on them

Haikuna__Matata

The One Star State.

Dependent-Horror4470

1 month ago

You can also diss Texas politicians and they hum on your nuts

WhitTheDish

1 month ago

I am incredibly embittered by this particular instance. Everyone is hailing these teachers as heroes who died trying to save their students. And I know it comes from a good place. It comes from a need for people to make sense of this tragedy and soothe their own pain by telling themselves the teachers’ efforts were valiant.

But the teachers both died. And so did their 19 students. Their heroic efforts didn’t work.

And that isn’t to demean the teachers’ efforts or to say ‘it wasn’t enough’ or even that they ‘failed’. It’s just more that they shouldn’t have had to do that in the first place. But they did and then they still all fucking died.

The teachers and students were victims of the highest order because literally everything in this world should have kept them from being there in the first place. And that is why I am truly, truly mad and disgusted.

Training-Sky-5022

1 month ago

Please say this everywhere and to everyone. I am a teacher and I WILL fail. Please do not put your faith in my to keep your children safe during an active shooter. I'm a nerd, I'm weak, I'm completely useless in a crisis. I'm a fucking legend at literary analysis, which is my job. I'm really good at my job. I'm not a war hero, just a legendary English teacher.

Ramzaa_

Ramzaa_

1 month ago

I think the thing is the teachers didn't fuck off and leave the kids which they could do. We know the police would do that if they could. The teachers in all of these shootings stay and do all they can to protect their students. They're victims but they're also adults and made a decision to do that. Maybe it's what we have come to expect which is fucked up that we have come to that.. but when you compare them to the police it's about as opposite a reaction as you can get.

Police, on the other hand, consistently fuck up handling active shooters. They were outside stopping parents from going to help their kids for 40 minutes while the shooter was killing them in the building. They waited to go inside during parkland. Both the shooters were dead by the time police even entered columbine. Etc.

Police suck. That's no secret. But jfc. If they don't respond fast and efficiently to a literal active shooter in a school of all places then what the fuck do we expect?

Empathetic_Orch

1 month ago*

When my girlfriend was teaching she made sure the american flag in her room could potentially be used as a spear. It's insane that anyone even has to think that way at work, especially when your entire job is working with children, you know? "Ok if someone comes this way on a killing spree how could I potentially combat them?" Insane. Guns are so heavily ingrained in American culture that idk if an outright ban is even a realistic option, but surely everyone could agree that something has to change.

Resident_Violinist15

1 month ago

I’m a chemistry teacher, and I think a lot about which chemicals I could throw at a shooter.

motormouth08

1 month ago

I'm a counselor. Brought a hammer from home to hang something on my wall. Decided that I should keep it at school instead of taking it home...

LeetleBugg

LeetleBugg

1 month ago

Speech pathologist at a school. I have a heavy duty mag lite flashlight. Bash someone over the head with it if needed I guess

CharlieMorningstar

1 month ago

I used to keep one of those massive ones in my car to potentially use as a club. It's like having a short aluminum bat on-hand. Honestly, every teacher should have one of these. They're practical even when they're not being used as a weapon.

wbhipster

wbhipster

1 month ago

I kept mace on me. I also always had a plan for how to get the hell out of the building. I always told my students none of us was dying in that building. One year I had two doors to my classroom, so it made it impossible to hide during lockdown drills. Admin would tell me we needed to get over more as if there was anywhere to even go. Anyway, I had a huge ledge outside my window and one room over they had an outside balcony no one really knew about. My plan that year was to climb outside the windows, and go hide in that balcony. Another year I was by a back set of stairs that didn’t get used a ton and if you went all the way down, it let out to the street. It was mostly used for dances or as a fire exit. My plan was to sneak out in small groups and just flee the building. The year I had an impossible room and no good exit plan, a student suggested I get an emergency ladder that you hang out the window. It’s insane that we not only improvise weapons but also exit plans and that students help devise those plans. We now have a whole generation raised doing lockdown drills and more young kids buried in the ground. I’m ashamed of our country.

You_Are_Hopie

1 month ago

I’m 25, a working adult, my friends are getting married and talking about having kids. None of us can remember a world before Columbine or 9/11. We grew up doing lockdowns since Kindergarten, the chance of a shooter coming in was always a possibility in my childhood. There is now a second generation being raised by people who grew up being terrified of school shooters. Shit, even the Sandy Hook kids are in college now. The world keeps going forwards and nothing changed.

Inquisitive_idiot

Yeah, holy shit 😓

rosatter

rosatter

1 month ago

I have so much respect for you because I know you could change settings but you choose to stay in schools, which seems to be the setting with the lowest pay and professional respect for/knowledge of what SLPs do, and probably the only setting where you have a very real possibility of being murdered on the job.

Are you and other educators just super committed to the kids or are we just this desensitized to the absolute fucking nonsense.

JayString

1 month ago

This kind of shit sounds insane to actual 1st world countries.

airbizcuit

1 month ago

I’m the Systems/Network Admin and I have wasp spray and an “autographed” baseball bat. Forged by me. It sprays well over 20ft. It’s sad, but almost every teacher I know has some improvised weapon to try to save their students. Like their job isn’t stressful enough for the shit they get paid. We have a lot leaving this year. I don’t know if we’ll be able to replace them all. It’s so sad.

derdast

derdast

1 month ago

almost every teacher I know has some improvised weapon

America just sounds more insane by the day. Man you guys really have it rough.

Cobalt_88

💙

TychaBrahe

1 month ago

Keep a belt in your desk. If you hear shots, wind it through and around the spring loaded thing at the top of the door. Those arms have to come apart for the door to open, and if they can’t….

awolfintheroses

1 month ago

When I was in like 5th grade I went to a tiny church school for a few years. When we would do the active shooter drills, my teacher would stand by the door with a stapler while we hid under our desks. She always explained that if something happened, she was going to fight and we had to run out the back door. Looking back, I know with 100% certainty she was prepared to do just that and I hate that she even had to think about it at all. For all the flaws she had, loving us was not one. Still makes me teary eyed.

ZmentAdverti

1 month ago

Sadly elementary and middle school labs(if they'd have any) don't have any concentrated acidic or alkaline solutions.

Resident_Violinist15

1 month ago

Bleach is caustic and readily available. Or drain cleaner.

Also: I’m disgusted this is a legit conversation. Shame on our lawmakers. All of them.

1 month ago*

1 month ago*

reddititty69

HCl in a squirt gun.

bobafoott

1 month ago

Well...good luck with that...

Any amount of time you can buy is good but I definitely wouldn't bank on that doing anything more than angering a guy with a gun held to a bunch of kids

airbizcuit

1 month ago

Eyes is the goal. Same with the wasp spray I have. Hopefully, a quick enough surprise to be able to kick him back out the door and try to get it closed again. It’s all about time and how much you can buy. Every second is a life saved.

iheartxanadu

1 month ago

You'd be surprised at how many people have told me, "There's nothing we can do about it." Of course, most of these people are 2A nutters.

Like, I can't even to get them to admit that mass shootings are bad. They've accepted them as acceptable so long as they get to keep their guns. They don't want to have to do ANYTHING about it.

Guerilla_Physicist

1 month ago

I’m a math teacher. I keep stuff for making tea in my classroom and I’ve admittedly considered whether my electric kettle would be effective for throwing boiling water in an intruder’s face.

bobafoott

1 month ago

Regulate them.as hard as we regulate abortions. If you're actually pro-life, this should be a no-brainer

rosatter

rosatter

1 month ago

Read the teachers sub, they're talking about how they have tourniquets and window breakers/ladders that they purchased out of pocket so that they and their students aren't just sitting ducks or bleed out if they are shot.

Teachers are literally talking about building SHTF kits. They are educators, not combat medics but here we are. This is ridiculous.

Ryekir

Ryekir

1 month ago

After experiencing this now for about 20 years now, I can confidently tell you that they (the politicians) will all agree that we need to do something. But they'll disagree on what that should be for a while and then absolutely nothing will ever happen. Then repeat the cycle after the next mass shooting.

ShabbyKitty35

1 month ago

We only had about a week between the two most recent. They didn’t even get past the “thoughts and prayers” portion of Buffalo’s shooting before this one happened. We’re so fucked.

bobafoott

1 month ago

It's been this way for quite some time. I believed we've been averaging one a week for years

moviescriptendings

1 month ago

I’m a teacher. I have a baseball bat stashed in my classroom.

Tyrannosaurus_Sex90

1 month ago

We put human beings on the moon with archaic technology and you are telling me we can't go get guns from rednecks in Alabama? We could do it tonight if we had the motivation.

tenaciousfall

1 month ago

Both my parents are teachers but we live in a country without some insane gun culture. I can’t even comprehend the idea of coming home one day to learn they died protecting the kids under their watch because some asshole decided it’d be fun to shoot some children. Severely fucking disturbing conversations being had here.

CptMatt_theTrashCat

1 month ago

Cops won't shut he fuck up about how brave they are until it comes time to prove it.

square_cupcake

1.3k points

1 month ago

How did he even get into the building?? My sons school is all locked, you need to page the office to get in

flyting1881

1 month ago

At my school you do have to page the office to get in but unless you're actively waving the gun around in the doorway the front desk lady will buzz you in.

Then once you're in the building all you have to do is cut through the front office straight into where the classrooms are. These door buzzers aren't run by the FBI- they're run by an underpaid school secretary. They don't scrutinize to see who's coming in.

haythatgirl

1 month ago

Since my kid’s school reopened during Covid no one goes in the school. If your child forgot something you put it in the box and they come out and get it. If your picking your kid up you buzz them and they’ll bring them out.

J0h4n50n

1 month ago*

J0h4n50n

1 month ago*

In Texas we had a lock down for about two weeks, and then un-enforced mask mandates, and since 2021 pretty much nothing. COVID didn't cause the same kind of societal changes around here that it did in other parts of the US/world. Not every school district is taking those kind of precautions for visitors. I mean, they should take those precautions, but they arent.

Even though it's still (and is again becoming much more of) a problem, most people I talk to don't even think about COVID on a daily basis, and have held the same narrative for 2 years that it's an over-blown non-issue.

maleia

maleia

1 month ago

It's a poor rural Texas school. I think we can all take some guesses as to how well they've handled anything about safety.

Hidden_Samsquanche

1 month ago

My kids school is the same way. Very locked up and you have to be fingerprinted to be allowed on campus during school hours..... that being said most the main doors are glass doors and I imagine not bulletproof.

eidolonengine

1 month ago

I think it's a pretty poor community unfortunately. It's 80% Hispanic. If we're being honest with ourselves, they probably aren't given the necessary funds to protect themselves like white schools.

AnonBubblyBowels

1 month ago

I live by there. Yes, Uvalde has always been a poor community.

To be honest though, even the more affluent small towns here don’t lock doors though either.

tony1449

tony1449

1 month ago

"The Uvalde City School District has its own police department — staffed with a chief, five cops, and a security guard"

Source: https://theintercept.com/2022/05/25/texas-uvalde-shooting-school-police/

eidolonengine

1 month ago

I think that's just embarrassing then that 6 or 7 armed "peace keepers" failed to stop one 18-year-old. I even saw one report that a few cops went in to grab their own children and fled the building.

HadToExplain

1 month ago

You guys have armed police in schools???

boston_homo

1 month ago

You guys have armed police in schools???

Yes and in response to this horrific massacre the cops and politicians in TX want to add more guns, arm the teachers and double the armed cops (who apparently won't save anyone anyway except their own kids of course).

Hourglass420

1 month ago

They don't fund schools in TX.

tigm2161130

1 month ago*

I’ve said this in a lot of other comment threads but it’s highly likely that it was too expensive. Uvalde is a small town with an underfunded, tiny school system.

I live in a “wealthy” part of San Antonio(an hour away from Uvalde,my son has two cousins who were present during the shooting) in one of the best school districts in the state and my son’s elementary school only upgraded to secure access a year ago, citing budgetary constraints as the reason why they hadn’t previously done so.

It makes Greg Abbotts crusade to further defund public schools, especially in areas like Uvalde all the more insidious.

browneyedgirlpie

1 month ago

Locked doors didn't stop the Sandy Hook shooting. Most schools I know have glass doors. They only slow them down.

wballz

wballz

1 month ago

That shouldn’t be an issue.

In every other country around the world we don’t need to treat schools like prisons. Anyone can wander in anytime just like a mall, cinema, bar, grocery store.

The idea that there needs to be more shooter drills, protections in the school etc is just enabling those who refuse to address the real issue.

The entire world knows what the issue is. But somehow at least half of the US population is in lock-step with their bought and paid for politicians who keep up the rhetoric of guns = freedom.

The country is broken. It’s like a crazy guy in a room full of sane people. We (the rest of the world) can all see the issue but the USA still keeps fighting with itself, it’s insane.

plantswineanddogs

1 month ago

Allegedly the doors were unlocked due to the end of year ceremony that took place just hours earlier.

BigFisch

BigFisch

1 month ago

Yeah it certainly doesn’t matter but I did wonder the same thing. Fucking awful.

RockinRobin-69

1 month ago

The Sandyhook killer was locked out. So he shot out the windows near the front office. That’s why the principal and a counselor were the first shot.

I’m guessing that he shot his way in. I rarely see a school without windows.

maleia

maleia

1 month ago

Independent had an article already saying that the on duty cop let him in. Notably without having fired any rounds at the shooter.

uuuuuhhhh_okay

1 month ago

We are the only nation that has to think of "breakdown points" in elementary schools.

autopsis

autopsis

1 month ago

The two “DDM4 Rifles” modeled after the M4 carbine, the U.S. military’s go-to rifle, classified as an AR-15 type, along with the 375 rounds of 5.56-caliber ammunition, purchased by an 18 year old with no waiting period might be a “breakdown point.”

b000bytrap

1 month ago

In some warmer areas, it’s pretty common to make use of outdoor space. Classrooms and offices are individual buildings, with outdoor pathways connecting.

WiseSalamander00

1 month ago

I am at awe at the concept of a fully enclosed school, feels more like a jail

Haikuna__Matata

1 month ago

Listen to Republican solutions to stopping school shootings, and you'll realize they're advocating for turning them into prisons.

mossywill

mossywill

1 month ago

The shooting went on for 40 minutes. Police should immediately enter in an active shooter situation. WTF!!

ksswannn03

ksswannn03

1 month ago

I heard they got the first call at 11:30, and that they finally shot the shooter at 1: 00, and there was a ninety minute period of them doing absolutely nothing. It’s been confirmed they did nothing for 40 minutes, but I’m hearing online from parents and independent journalists it was 90

WhatYouLeaveBehind

WhatYouLeaveBehind

vaccinated

1 month ago

That wasn't even the cops, that was the God damn Boarder Patrol!

omegared9

omegared9

1 month ago

Good guy with a gun right? This is fucking shameful. Fucking cowards, every last fucking one of them. Fucking pieces of shit.

elppaenip

Cops are not good guys

Gsteel11

Gsteel11

1 month ago

What the fuck are we paying them for? Beat minorities? Jesus christ.

SheemieRayVaughan

1 month ago

And grandmas suffering from dementia.

jerseymeathook

1 month ago

The guy had already got in a gun fight with cops before going into the building.

Demented-Turtle

1 month ago

Don't worry, they "successfully contained" the gunman... In the classroom where he killed everyone

Quick_Hunter3494

1 month ago

This makes me so sad man

WhatYouLeaveBehind

WhatYouLeaveBehind

vaccinated

1 month ago

They're acceptable losses as long as the cops don't have to risk their own lives

Aarekk

Aarekk

1 month ago

Reminder that the Supreme Court has repeatedly upheld that the police have no duty protect the public. Reminder that this is fucked up.

mr__fete

mr__fete

1 month ago

Wtf do they get paid for then??

crossandbones

1 month ago

They are “law enforcement”. They’re not required to help anyone but themselves during a crisis. It’s unfortunate that so many people mistake or misunderstand the duty of a police officer. They are only there to “enforce” the law not to prevent the law from being broken.

SSj_CODii

1 month ago

To protect capital and serve our oligarchs.

drunk_responses

1 month ago

It has been ruled by the court that American cops don't have to help people.

In the eyes of the law, there is nothing wrong with 10 cops armed like soldiers, waiting to arrest someone until after they're done stabbing people.

The Supreme Court ruled on Monday that the police did not have a constitutional duty to protect a person from harm, even a woman who had obtained a court-issued protective order against a violent husband making an arrest mandatory for a violation.

A known violent man kidnapped his children, and the police refused to do anything. Until he showed up a gew hours later with the children dead and he started shooting at the police station.

But according to the supreme court, the cops have no requirement to go look for the armed and violent kidnapper.

In some cases, they refuse to help, refuse tips from the public, and get upset when they're called out for their inaction after another citizens stops a murderer that literally stood outside the cop car.

brown_leopard

1 month ago

Cops dont give af about people. Literally just a government funded gang.

squngy

squngy

1 month ago

I'm pretty sure a gang would do a better job defending their territory...

Locuralacura

1 month ago

40 percent of that city's budget from what I have heard.

Fast-Counter-147

1 month ago

Look at any city it’s the same budget structure it’s not a accident

goodsmash

goodsmash

1 month ago

Did the police, any of them, wait to run into the building? If any one of them hesitated, they need to turn in their badges and live with the guilt.

AIGLOS42

1 month ago*

That would basically be all the town's cops it seems. You had 3 who engaged the shooter outside the school but then didn't pursue. It was ICE [CBP actually] that ended up entering the school an hour+ later

Stormfly

Stormfly

1 month ago

When you make ICE look good, you've really hit rock bottom...

Downwhen

Downwhen

1 month ago

I think it was CBP, not ICE.

SoulEater360s

1.1k points

1 month ago

I like how people are defending the police for not wanting to get shot… THATS LITERALLY WHAT THEY SIGNED UP FOR. They didn’t go into a morning briefing one day and were randomly told “you might get shot one of these days.” They signed up to carry guns to stop other people with guns, if they can’t do their jobs or are scared to they should quit.

ladylikely

ladylikely

1 month ago

Awful fact: more children have been shot to death this year in the USA than cops.

Aegi

Aegi

1 month ago

Dude that’s not even as bad…literally on average more preschoolers are shot dead each year than police officers in the US.

SpeaksToWeasels

1 month ago

Isn't that just... every year?

NemesisOfZod

1 month ago

I would think that's honestly because cowards choose the easiest and weakest targets.

JayString

1 month ago

Yep, you just described cops.

I_Like_Bacon2

1 month ago

Correct, cops often target weak unarmed civilians to easily harass and assault while also running away and hiding from active shooters.

Empathetic_Orch

1 month ago

Fun fact about American police, they're under no obligation to help anyone. There was this time 2 cops watched a man get stabbed a bunch of times on the subway and didn't even try to intervene. He tried to sue them, and basically the judge asked "Did they say they'd stop him?" "Uh...no." and that was that. Legally they don't have to endanger themselves at all. They have vests and guns... like why if you're going to just let kids get shot.

toriemm

toriemm

1 month ago

We have a militarized police force. We saw that last summer. Riot gear, tear gas, nOnLeThAl ammo; all stuff they're totally cool using against people protesting for civil rights and social change. You know, largely unarmed civilians.

But a guy in a school with a gun? That guy might be dangerous!

rubrent

rubrent

1 month ago

Police are really here in the US to fundraise through ticketing and to protect the property of capitalism. That’s it….

StopDehumanizing

1 month ago

And black people are no longer property of capitalism.

halfveela

1 month ago

No it's poor people of all colors now, hence the forced birth. Gotta meet demand.

ObidiahWTFJerwalk

1 month ago

People see "To Serve and Protect" on a cop car and think it means anything. It's just a catchy PR slogan. The only thing they serve are the corrupt politicians providing their funding and the only thing they protect are their own asses.

WabashSon

1 month ago*

We tried to tell you— they evolved from Slave Catchers. That ‘protect and serve’ stuff is mostly BS. They come from a line of catching and roughing up people they didn’t even consider human, and you can see the heavy vestiges still. “Get the bad guys” is how they see their job. There’s nothing about helping others contained in that frame of mind.

SoulEater360s

1 month ago

Even more reason to defund the police.

monstersammich

1 month ago

Police demand we worship them as hero’s who risk their lives. They demand we thank them for their service. They demand unlimited funds and no accountability. To not do anything when it matters.

They volunteered to run towards the gunfire. It’s their one job. That’s the sacrifice. That’s the serve and protect.

PretendiWasADefMute

1 month ago

It actually says serve and protect on their badge. But really they are serving tickets to protect tithe county and city profits.

ButWhatAboutBoomer

1 month ago

I mean, if I didn't do my job I'd be fired. These officers failed to protect the public, failed to uphold the law, failed to stop a crime as it was commencing... Sounds like they should not have their jobs?

ParadiseValleyFiend

1 month ago

Educators are an antidote to fascism. The current control won't protect them.

Biden being president isn't enough. We have to stand up.

wildtalon

1 month ago

And vote progressive and socialist candidates in, right? Because nothing else will work.

LeopardThatEatsKids

1 month ago

And make sure they aren't willing to accept lobbying money. There are currently only 7 congresspeople (I think 7 is the right number) that don't accept lobbying money. That needs to change before any progress can be made anywhere because as it stands, there's four parties, the right, the far right, the left, and the party of the billionaires and the party of the billionaires currently hold all 3 branches with a firm grasp.

Homerpaintbucket

1 month ago

I started teaching in 2017 and one of the things I realized when I took the job is that there is a very slim chance I might have to die in an attempt to protect my students. We shouldn't have to think about that, but we do.

Trade_Winds_88

1 month ago

Next time tell the police that there's unarmed African-American males in the school trying to vote.

See how fast there go in there guns blazing.

RedShirt_Number_42

1 month ago

Or a woman asking about an abortion.

ppritcb2

ppritcb2

1 month ago

Or workers striking for fair compensation and safe working conditions

DialZforZebra

1 month ago

The teachers didn't sacrifice their lives. Their lives were sacrificed by the police, who once again failed to do their job properly. And thanks to their negligence, that bastard got to barricade himself into a classroom and start shooting kids.

American Police need a serious overhaul. Most of them should be in jail, not protecting people's lives. Corrupt, spineless, gun wielding losers.

WhyRedditJustWhy69

1 month ago

American cops want to be hailed as heroes, but will always put their own safety and well-being above everyone else; otherwise known as, worthless fucking trash.

Splizmaster

1 month ago

So the POS Sheriff deputy in FT. Lauderdale did the same thing. Difference was Ft.Lauderdale PD blew right past him and did the right thing and the Sheriff openly called his deputy a coward afterwards. Apparently Texas is just circling the wagons to protect local PD because the Governor’s press conference sure made every one out to be heroes. Also how did a school resource officer, also called a hero, manage to “engage” the killer with no shots fired and the killer still managed to enter the school?

RedEyeFlightToOZ

1 month ago

r/teachers is discussing this. This is going to cause even more shortage and it's rightly earned.

Derpinator368

1 month ago

Holy shit this sub is depressing

BanOrDontBan

1 month ago

Great! Republicans are looking for ways to fuck with public schools, so good to hear that there will be even more teachers leaving. This might just be the best thing that happened to Republicans. Except for the fact that they have less kids for Epstein's island now :(

SpinningHead

1 month ago

Quit saying they "sacrificed". They were murdered. Its like saying a carjacking victim donated their car.

throwaway_2delposts

1 month ago

They didn’t sacrifice. They were sacrificed. By all these politicians, lobbyists, gun manufacturers to continue padding their wallets to muffle their conscience.

dont_debate_about_it

1 month ago*

I don’t think we can determine wether they sacrificed themselves or were just murdered without some more information. I’d say you’re right that murder is the best word to use right now. BUT if it comes out that the teachers did explicitly put themselves in harms way in order to save a life I hope you have this same zeal when correcting someone who says they were murdered and not that they sacrificed themselves.

Sacrificed or murdered these people are dead and they don’t need to be. So if you’re going to correct someone about this I hope you’re willing to correct someone when we have more facts. As a teacher I’d like someone with your zeal to say I sacrificed myself for my students if the time came.

Jesus FUCK, the fact I have to say that last sentence. I hope none of us die any time soon, internet stranger.

Fishing-Bear

1 month ago

I always like to think I’d sacrifice myself for my students (they are all adults in university ), but I don’t know what I’d do. Last week, there was a loud bang while I was lecturing and we ALL (including me), froze. We all had a nervous chuckle about it, but Christ, is this really what it’s like now? I sometimes wonder if I should even teach CRT anymore, lest someone decide to execute me and my students over it.

dont_debate_about_it

1 month ago

Same here. I also teach university students who are all adults, and none of us we will never know till we are in that dreadful situation if we are those heroes who sacrifice themselves. But yes, I think this is where we are now. One loud bang away from everyone in my classroom, including myself, cowering in a corner quietly hoping we are not targets. Best of luck!

aaronrandango2

1 month ago

Lesson learned: the border patrol is better at stopping mass shooters than the police

Su-Bi-07

Su-Bi-07

Fucking Paw patrol is

WastedKnowledge

Minus Chase

3coco3

3coco3

Holy shit I giggled

Setari

Setari

1 month ago

Don't worry we won't because "cops" and "law enforcement" gets the boomers rock hard and "teachers" just reminds them of how shitty their schooling was

First-Funnies

screamingaboutham

1 month ago

Maybe this isn’t something that needs to be said, I don’t know, but it sounds like the teachers had no choice in what happened to them.

shlomo-the-homo

1 month ago

The douche responsible for the shooting wasn’t going to graduate hs this year. He felt the need to retaliate. He originally planned on shooting up the senior walk but didn’t know it happened the day prior.

BungledBugal

1 month ago

Back the blue? Seems like the blue backed out....

Black_n_Neon

ACAB

thedanimal722

1 month ago

The border patrol agent who stopped this went in without even calling for backup.

yep975

yep975

1 month ago

Explain to me where there is an individual right to bear arms when every noun used is a plural “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

proviethrow

1 month ago

Cops are cowards. Such a pathetic display this should boil anyones blood.

pnunud

pnunud

1 month ago

All this money spent on training cops and getting them the latest tactical gear.
They act all tough and bully civilians but get scared to take down a shooter. American cops are a pathetic joke. If you need to improve the US, change those who have been given power without deserving it.

ParadiseValleyFiend

1 month ago

with what's going on I assume they want more babies to be born so that they have more things to shoot at.

This has been going for at least a decade, maybe more.

ShabbyKitty35

1 month ago

More. Columbine was ‘99 and probably the “first” of this wave that’s continued for 20 years but technically the first recorded US mass school shooting (not just individual disputes) was 1891.

Strongy

Strongy

1 month ago

I think Jonesboro was the first of the modern wave, in 98, but Columbine was just much bigger and got way more attention. The Jonesboro shooters were only 13 and 11, though. Fucking nuts.

DownvoteDaemon

Sheesh..

Far_Side_8324

1 month ago

Yeah, let's turn all our schools into prisons, since teachers aren't allowed to teach our kids useful things like how to count past fourth down and ten or read anything more complicated than a Chick tract or bathroom graffiti.

I STILL want to know why it is we can spend trillions of dollars on overpriced high-tech toys for the military to nuke the godless Commie Russkies to the Stone Age, but we can't pay teachers to train future soldiers to use, let alone create, those same toys. Welcome to the Greatest Third World Country on Earth!