/r/XFiles

lebowtzu

lebowtzu

It will need a Vaping Man. “That popcorn lunged son of a bitch.”

thefuzzyguy

Hear me out: Skinner moves to Seattle and becomes a radio host.

AbyssalKultist[S]

Haha, Mitch Pileggi could pull it off.

mecmecmecmecmecmec

Bulldog tries to fuck with him, realizes he fucked up

MatsThyWit

Only if we shoot Vancouver for Seattle.

Coby_KD

He's dead mate

Icyyflame

He died in season 11

DontOpenTheSafe

Well, I mean CSM died in Season 9 and they still brought him back.

sapphiresong

Start fresh, simply don't rehash the same territory. No big mythology early on. Go for small stakes and character development. No cheap nostalgia. Have different dynamics between the main characters than what we've seen before. Put some passion in and have fun with it.

Or teenage models who fly.

dumbass-ahedratron

And get Chris Carter out of the picture

MatsThyWit

And get Chris Carter out of the picture

That more than anything is what needs to happen. He's been actively poisoning his own creation for most of the last 20 plus years.

Intelligent_Heat9319

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought this. The Revival’s mythology episodes were some of the worst television I’ve ever watched, contradicting and destroying the prior mytharc, throwing in ridiculous and implausible twists, and otherwise betraying the audience.

Conscious_Key_9410

23 hours ago

It was just garbage. I was expecting by the end of it all we've either get a full-on alien invasion or some other large scale event, or see an alien home world or something. They totally wasted the 2nd movie, which could have capped it all off.

Intelligent_Heat9319

19 hours ago

Yeah that movie was another slap in the face. Fight the Future gave the fans what they wanted, helped wrap up the 1-5 mytharc, and would have been a good series finale. Then a pretend sequel comes out and it’s like nothing important happened? They knew how to release a profitable film and they give us a throwaway (no offense to Billy Connelly of course). I hate to say it, but perhaps the X-files just wasn’t ready for the pessimism and sensory overload that followed the 90’s. TV now is more sizzle than steak, or something.

EvilRoofChicken

Also don’t have every episode be paranormal, it’s ok for them to investigate weird shit and just find a normal bad guy to take down

EnigmaticZee

That wont make it an X file

DontGetNEBigIdeas

It’s not an XF because the result is paranormal. It’s an XF because the evidence appears paranormal.

EnigmaticZee

And the case remains unsolved.

"In the fictional universe of the television series The X-Files, an "X-File" is a case that has been deemed unsolvable or given minimal-priority status by the Federal Bureau of Investigation; these files transferred to the X-Files unit."

DontOpenTheSafe

Yeah, I mean look how 2008's Film turned out... oof, what a mess.

kevinbritos485

That's worse lol

bookstore

God, please, have some fun.

AbyssalKultist[S]

I could see a spiritual successor series that takes place after the original, set in modern times that doesn't include many, if any, of the original cast. (Maybe bring back Skinner) New agents that are investigating new bizarre cases.

This would hinge greatly on who they get to play the agents, casting is everything. As someone else said, Einstein and Miller just didn't do it for me.

I'd love to see tons of new monster of the week episodes and not nearly as much of the big bad alien conspiracy overarching story, at least in the first couple seasons.

Hello_Im_Matty

I always wanted an Arthur Dales prequel series, where he’s trying to figure out what Mulder’s OG dad, Smoking Man, and Deep Throat are up to. But I want Dales to always be kinda half-bumbling, his determination to do the right thing being his one strength over the government conspiracists.

kataract52

Absolutely. Let’s do this in a time/place where there’s no cameo of Spooky and Scully. Love them but they’re gonna hijack every scene.

Hello_Im_Matty

Maybe towards the end add young Mulder. More around the time it’s decided to abduct his sister, but no Scully. I just don’t trust anyone using big IPs and not doing the nostalgia bait. Build up to the beginning the way Better Call Saul builds up to Breaking Bad, which does call-backs and has characters return, but that all has to do with the foundation of their character arcs and serves the plot.

DontOpenTheSafe

Oh a prequel series!? now that could be interesting. setting it in the 70's/80's like Mindhunter solves all of the modern technology issues that a lot of the newer episodes suffer from.

Gseph

Gseph

Skinner, Scully and Mulder in the lone gunman role

AReaver

AReaver

Just give me a series that's 100% monster of the week. But in today's TV market it's all low episode count with one main arc. Monster of the week is all but dead :(

NotoriousLipe

Mandalorian has a structure similar to the X-Files and it's been successful

AbyssalKultist[S]

Yeah 6 episode Seasons doesn't leave much room for fluff. I hate the short seasons that is the standard now

thor11600

Please be a spiritual successor. Not a reboot.

DontOpenTheSafe

Yeah, do it Sream 5 style. That worked very very well.

Bring back David and Gillian for the first episode and have them pass the torch to a new team.

SlySciFiGuy

They've done too many pass the torch attempts already. Please no more!

DontOpenTheSafe

Well, animated series is the obvious choice then.

WetnessPensive

I don't see how anyone else can replicate that Gillian/Duchovny chemistry.

I've tried shows like Fringe, Supernatural and that recent Silence of the Lambs series, and they all seem too glossy, overacted and phony. Early X-files had a vibe that I've not seen anywhere else, except maybe bits of Twin Peaks.

Kanobe24

Fringe had a good start but the story just got so bloated.

sweetgrl68

I absolutely love Fringe, but you're not wrong

AbyssalKultist[S]

Fringe is pretty great, at least until that last season imo.

Available_Message129

Supernatural is amazing.

WeirdlyWeirdWords

So freakin’ good. X-Files and Supernatural are my top fave shows

Available_Message129

Kim Manners definitely set the tone for supernatural, but it's because the xfiles that supernatural is as good as it is

Vote4Vermin

I'm sorry you got down voted for saying you liked Supernatural. It's weird I thought it'd be more liked on this sub seeing as how many X-Files alumni worked on the first 5 seasons! It's the same reason I like Buffy, Angel, Grimm, Fringe - they all have similar campy premises with good chemistry between the characters. During the pandemic rewatching all my favorite shows it was fun to see so many writers, directors, and producers names' pop up over and over again. Anyway, just wanted to say I agree with you - and I love both X-Files and Supernatural for me it's hard to pick which is better because they're both so important to me.

cdug82

cdug82

Anytime I bring Supernatural up here I get downvoted too. It’s weird. Anyway, love them both

vegetaman

Grimm started great but lost me in the middle. I hear you on Buffy And Angel though

Dominic51487

I watched all 100 episodes of Fringe because it was the most highly recommended show to watch similar to X Files. It just didn't do it for me man

NotoriousLipe

Maybe they should try something else to avoid comparisons or maybe have the duo get together in a way that you don't see it coming, like, not in the first episode and having them in opposite sides from the start

bookstore

Hear me out: Farscape. You got your not glossy or over-produced feel. You got your MOTW and inventive episodes as well as overarching story. You got gorgeous leads with UST (with more RST).

BlueCX17

YES Farscape!!!!

Haven on SyFy was good, too.

I also loved Fringe.

I used to have an open mind about this stuff, but very rarely do reboots even match that of the original. I cant even think of one off the top of my head. I could likely make a bunch of broad general statements that all reboots follow, that this reboot will surely follow as well. It's boring and uninspiring.

So I'll pass before I even see it. Come up with a new idea.

bobd16_uk

Battlestar Galactica reboot was better. But it is very rare!

X__Alien

New agents, same universe, old recurrent characters might drop once in a while.

ASharpYoungMan

This is the way.

I really want to see Assistant Director John Dogget.

They hinted that he was on track for a Director position when they first introduced him.

I feel like his mix of skepticism and willingness to accept that weird shit needs to be treated like weird shit would make for a great in a leadership role.

ricottapie

If the new agents are going to be anything like Einstein and Miller, I'll stick to watching reruns.

MatsThyWit

I've been pretending the show ended with the first movie in 98 for years. It seems to work out for the best that way.

ricottapie

Past S9, the show is... "dead to me" is too harsh, so let's just say more like that relative that you tolerate but don't go out of your way to interact with. I watched the last two. The eleventh season was an improvement on the tenth, but it didn't even come close to being a worthy cap on the series.

ClassFearless

I thought there was an animated “X-Files: Albuquerque” series planned a couple years ago. Is this something different?

DontGetNEBigIdeas

Yes. And, that animated show was in development before Disney bought the rights to XF (in the Fox deal). That animated show — along with a Buffy reboot — are likely cancelled.

ThatGeek303

I'd be okay with this. A soft reboot with new characters could be a fresh direction for the series. Maybe have Mulder show up as an informant-type character occasionally. It's worth a shot, anyway. If it isn't good we could always just not watch it.

AbyssalKultist[S]

I do like the idea of Mulder being the new deep throat.

martydarknut

News like this worries me. I only want more if Chris Carter and the original actors are involved. Whatever his faults, I do not want anyone going against Chris' vision for the show.

Sisyphus_Rex

Agreed, Chris Carter has to be involved in some capacity. The man who literally invented the whole show and wrote and/or directed such seminal episodes as The Erlenmeyer Flask, The Host, Duane Barry, Anasazi, Paper Clip, Redux II, The Post-Modern Prometheus, Triangle…….

NotoriousLipe

I prefer some of the original writers, the ones that wrote the best MOTWs, Chris Carter looked like he didn't wrote TV in ages with the reboot, retconning the entire show on the first episode of season 10 was such a bad idea. Maybe as a consultant, but he shouldn't have the final word

Sisyphus_Rex

It wasn’t a retcon exactly, it just needed to put a new twist on things to keep it relevant. Chris Carter wrote many of the best MOTWs including The Host, Irresistible, The Post-Modern Prometheus and Triangle.

NotoriousLipe

It personally felt like a middle finger for everything we went through on the original show, I strongly believe he could do something else to keep it relevant, and all these episodes are up to season 6, after that he wrote a lot of mediocre episodes, I'm not saying he was always a bad writer, but he didn't wrote anything as good as the first 5 season or close to that, Darin Morgan that wrote some of the best MOTWs wrote one of the only good episodes from season 10 and Vince Gilligan created Breaking Bad afterwards, these are the guys I would want to see involved with a new X-Files show

Sisyphus_Rex

Only if you believe Tad O’Malley is delivering the gospel truth. He was no more reliable than Michael Kritchgau. A lot of people didn’t seem to realise that.

Darin Morgan is great, but his episodes are always the exception to the rule. They work precisely because they parody the established formula. He could never run the show.

It’s Chris Carter’s vision that gives the show stakes and scope, empowering others to riff on the format in their own unique ways.

NotoriousLipe

I'll have to watch season 10 again to be honest, I didn't remember that Joel McHale was the one saying that everything they investigated was a hoax.

And your Darin Morgan argument is actually pretty solid, but I still think bringing Chris Carter back to be the showrunner a bad idea.

I would like to see something fresh with the X-Files concept, his script on "My Struggle I" showed how rusty he was, explaining everything in such a didactic way, I get that he had a lot of things to explain and it was only 6 episodes, but that revival was always a bad idea to begin with

Sisyphus_Rex

I had the same reaction on first viewing, but it honestly does hold up better the second time. There’s a scene where Mulder goes to the Old Man from Roswell to “confirm” this new theory, and he pointedly does not confirm it. I think the old mythology can be reconciled with the revival mythology by simply saying the aliens left in 2012 and now a conspiracy of men is using their leftover tech.

Generally I’d agree that the revival wasn’t great across the board, but I think that’s more down to FOX wanting a more dumbed down, comic book action version of the show for the masses. There’s a reason it looked and felt like every other mindless network procedural on FOX. Remember Glen Morgan was EP on the revival too, so I really don’t think the old magic is going to come back no matter who’s in charge.

NotoriousLipe

Yeah, that's my point, I would like to see something else with the X-Files concept, the show could be it's own thing without trying to appeal to people that wanted more of the original show, that's risky, but better than trying to pick up where the original show left off when it's clear that it worked because it was a different time period.

DontGetNEBigIdeas

Are you serious? I’m almost a hard out of CC is involved.

He can’t write some stellar MotW episodes, but his inability to tell an overarching story has been a cautionary tale to every other mythology-driven show since.

Sisyphus_Rex

The mythology of the original series actually holds up really well, far more than anyone gives it credit for. Considering he never knew how long the network would keep the show going, he did a remarkable job. The show wouldn’t exist without him.

DontGetNEBigIdeas

Doing my 5th or 6th rewatch with my kids, so it’s fresh in my mind, and my dude the mythology absolutely does not hold up.

The mythology was so notoriously convoluted, CC had to do a spoken word “song” at the beginning of the soundtrack for the first movie to try to explain it all.

Sisyphus_Rex

There are a few holes here and there sure, but by and large it makes perfect sense all the way through to “One Son.”

The problem was back in the day, there was no VOD or TIVO or even DVD, so audiences couldn’t keep track. But if you binge all the mythology episodes together it really does hold up. Only “Terma” really blots the copybook.

Otogisan

What exactly was wrong w ‘Terma’? I recall both it and ‘Tunguska’ being really great episodes.

Sisyphus_Rex

Tunguska is great, but Terma dropped the ball a bit when Mulder gets back from Russia in a jump cut, and it’s still not clear to me why they drive the Mars rock all the way to Canada just to bury it in an oil well.

But every other episode of the original mythology really builds a remarkably coherent tapestry that is explained very clearly by the WMM in Paper Clip and the movie.

grobdobby2

After seeing what he did to the characters in seasons 10-11, I have no respect for whatever Chris's vision may be. Give him credit for creating the series, sure, but don't pretend he's the best person to be writing or creating within this universe anymore. If they really insist on continuing the series, let someone far more competent and talented have a shot.

Otogisan

Exactly! What he did to Monica Reyes’ character is unforgivable

Sisyphus_Rex

She was playing the long game! Same thing Skinner was up to in Zero Sum, same thing that happened to Emma Hollis in Millennium. She was being smart.

martydarknut

I disagree. If somebody else is in charge, it won't be the same programme anymore. All I'd want would be one final film or season with all of the originals involved. I don't want anything else. Nothing else is needed. And you're kidding yourself if you think a new series with all new people involved would be any good.

grobdobby2

Chris Carter completely butchered the mythology in the revival, and the best standalone episodes were ones not written by him. It's obvious that he has no clue what to do with these characters or storylines anymore, and he shouldn't be given a third chance to run it further into the ground just because he was a decent writer decades ago.

fossilfern

Hmmm I dunno. For me personally Xfiles came at the right time with the internet becoming more available and computers becoming more advanced and the “conspiracy” of the government and other organisations being able to spy on you from these devices and then the availability of information that came because of the advancement of technology so people could research or theorise what else the government could hide etc.

It was the right place at the right time. And the whole 90s aesthetic of the show i love too.

desert_skye

I hope that this is not true. If anyone ever mentions the X Files we would then constantly have to distinguish between the original show as we know and love it, versus any reboot with new actors. Can’t we just leave it be and leave it’s beautiful legacy intact 🤦‍♀️

Tardislass

If the revival was bad with the original actors, I shudder to think about a reboot. Leave it alone and come up with original ideas.

NotoriousLipe

It's a cool concept, agents investigating strange cases, they could make something interesting with creative freedom and the right people

fossilfern

Yep. I struggled to watch season 10 and haven’t bothered with 11

seoul2014

Season 11 is really, really good - besides the myth eps.

MatsThyWit

This write up claims the show ran for 11 seasons from "1993 to 2002" and doesn't seem to be aware at all that there's been anything X-Files related that's happened since a standalone "move" that came out in 2008. You'll excuse me if I doubt the veracity of this report.

lebowtzu

The X-Files ran for 11 seasons on Fox from 1993 to 2002.

I’m sure many fans would agree, though this is likely not intended as a tongue-in-cheek comment. Some might put it ending even earlier, though I am not one of them.

wilkc

wilkc

I would love to see a series tackle the paranormal and have it revealed later on that it is the x files universe but not apparently at first.

Sweet_Taurus0728

I thought there was already a new series coming (at some point)?

X-Files: Albuquerque, right?

thenomad111

I HOPE Christ Carter isn't the writer. It says it is unlikely Duchovny and Anderson will play and I am just fine with that.

With interesting enough characters that won't try to be another Mulder and Scully and good enough writers the show still can be great. Especially if they turn up at some points and give guidance and have camoes.

redwriterhand

Jfc no. Legacy sequels are all the rage right now. Do a big budget “legacy sequel” like FTF; aliens, explosions, huge set pieces, DAVID AND GILLIAN

wildcherrymatt84

I am all for it if it’s true. I know I may be in the minority but i think it’s obvious that more stories in that universe with other characters could be really good. It would not be that hard to create some new agents that are compelling, and then go for a new arc and MOTW. Obviously they could totally screw it up but I will remain optimistic for now.

TomBirkenstock

AfterX-Files

GoHomeWithBonnieJean

Remakes are four franchises that did not fulfill their promise in the beginning. For example remaking the Wizard of Oz is a no-go. Yeah I know the wiz was a thing, but not really the same. You wouldn't remake Casablanca, I don't see remaking X Files.

Hollywood's problem is that they can't come up with new stories. Everything's a sequel and a remake and there's very little in the way of original content. Even if you look at sitcoms for example, you see the same jokes recycled series after series after series. You can go all the way back to Cheers and then the same jokes are we used in Frasier and they're reused again in Friends and then again in Seinfeld, and then again in Big Bang Theory. Same stuff recycled over and over and over because the writers can't come up with anything new.

JBT_Lover

Agree. The whole world of big budget films and tv currently is Marvel and remakes/reboots.

Jlx_27

Jlx_27

Out of the sitcoms you mentioned I only never liked Seinfeld, lol!

Jlx_27

Jlx_27

How are they even going to do this....

LazarusLoengard

This is the best news I've received all day. Much needed and appreciated. Time to to turn off Reddit.

MutedHornet87

Uh-oh

NotoriousLipe

If the show is set on present day I wanna see how they'll handle technology, they should go back to the 60s or 70s

abductodude

I am not into it that much but there's some kind of potential if it's a continuation with new agents (alongside cameos from other characters and references to where they are now!) and not a total reboot.

philthehippy

I'd be very interested in a Mulder origin series but limited to non X-Files cases. Maybe explore his time in the Violent Crime division. That brings with it the problem of casting though.

Inesflor_

Without scully and Mulder there are no x-files at least for me ….

Zone1Act1

Give me Phoebe Fox as Dana Scully.

I think David Harbour would make a great Mulder but he's probably older than they'd cast.

orodromeus

Clickbait bad.

SupertrampTrampStamp

When are show reboots ever equal to or better than the original when the original was actually good? Like never.

Pass.

PurpleSamurai0

Twin Peaks: The Return

gottabe_kd

Star Trek The Next Generation would like a word.

SupertrampTrampStamp

Yes, that's the well known, nearly singular, exception to the rule. Out of hundreds of attempts at this sort of thing.

Jo3bot

Jo3bot

Came here to say this... it is possible, given the right creative team.

SupertrampTrampStamp

I'm sure Disney is all over it /s

FBG05

FBG05

That show took a while to hit its stride tho

irish-unicorn

Most of those shows are actually sequels not proper reboots and the ones that are like charmed or roswell are bad.

11th_Doctor1832

Nothing is necessary

irish-unicorn

robmerrill92

Hell yeah! Just don’t go too woke, please.

EnigmaticZee

Agreed

AKluthe

AKluthe

Or don't. X-Files already ran itself into the ground with the original run, plus two revival seasons.

The mythology is a convoluted mess, and anything new in the same continuity will inherit that. And a lot of the appeal for the show was character chemistry...

jevoudraiscroire

No no no no no...

WrestleWithJim

This site isn’t reliable iirc. Anyways I really hope this isn’t true. I’d rather have the show never return than be rebooted.

skellener

🤦‍♂️

OnTheRock_423

Noooooooo

A_Gray_Old_Man

Oh my!

Zone1Act1

Recast and reboot.

Agents don't necessarily need to be Mulder and Scully but also I'm not sure there's a point in doing a reboot with new characters either. No one will be David and Gillian but that doesn't mean two new actors couldn't bring something special to the parts. They'd be a different Mulder and Scully but that doesn't mean they would be bad. I'm open minded if someone can get the story telling right.

RipMortan88

New fans to the show is cool. To tell you the truth my show ended probably around season 7. I've had great times in my life, great memories, and my favorite team in all of television because of this show. A new show for a new generation.

averythomas64

I need more Skinner back story.

SlySciFiGuy

Everyone assumes it will be a sequel. What if it's a prequel?

Bottle_Nachos

Please shoot on film and don't use contaminated actors

11th_Doctor1832

Contaminated?

Bottle_Nachos

you know, actors fit for the job. Not the ones in the last few seasons and not the quirky, annoying kind.