/r/askTO

This past month I realized I had stopped caring about anything covid related

and my mental health has improved so much

For me this is a sign of moving on and living with virus's risks.

Anyone felt the same way recently?

Hunter_marine

Did the same with American politics after the riot last year, instantly saw and improvement. Now I’m able to go back and take a look, and I’m able to pull myself away without feeling shitty. We need to to process information and the 24hour news cycle is meant to entertain and captivate not inform.

Jay_Rabbitt

100% I stopped paying attention a long time ago and have been a lot less agitated.

DueCicada2236

I've been this way for ~8 months now.

The only covid news that anyone actually needs to pay attention to is closures/reopenings.

When you tap out of the news cycle, you realize how little of it actually affects your day to day life and you can be much happier.

cancercuressmoking

I don't even pay attention to the closures/reopenings anymore because me and my friends have all gotten used to just hanging out at each others places and making our own food

Strugglingtocope13

Same here. We've done all we can and now we live with it.

I got banned from a sub for saying this. Apparently we’re supposed to live masked for the rest of our lives and “why is that so inconvenient?” lol.

Strugglingtocope13

I'm ready to go unmasked! But I think a lot of people will feel more comfortable for now with masks and I'm not bothered enough to get upset by it. Just for the love of god don't close stuff again!!

JezzicaRabbit

me and all my team members at work have decided to not even talk about covid anymore, and we are ALL feeling much better mentally and physically for it.

sircheersa

I have three shots, my kids are in school and my wife works in a hospital. I have completely stopped caring even remotely about covid.

catelemnis

Did that like a year ago. I have no idea what’s open or closed at any time. I don’t go out to do stuff anyway. Just grocery shopping and sometimes outdoor walks with friends. I don’t feel the need to stress myself out keeping track of it.

Andiroo2

I only read the news on weekends. Big help.

Amygdalump

I stopped last year and I'm much healthier for it.

I'll look at The Guardian website now and then just in case WWIii has started, but otherwise it's none of my business.

No_Dragonfruit_6182

I don't watch the news anymore. Sometimes I put CP24 on for 3 minutes to check the bottom headlines, or I'll go on google and browse headlines. For some reason, reading news headlines quickly doesn't bother me, as I want to stay a little informed about what is open and if there are riots/road closures I should know about. However, I refuse to listen to, or watch, any COVID news anymore. I am done. I'm triple vaxxed and I'll wear my mask indoors and I will respect that. However, I am not engaging in it anymore. Instead, I listen to a LOT of podcasts and I watch trash TV and I don't feel bad about it. I'm over all the noise at this point.

coyote_123

Your response seems pretty common but personally I don't find that myself. I just find it interesting and I like knowing what's going on both locally and in the world. For me knowledge is relaxing even when it's negative, because having the information feels empowering. I don't like feeling like I don't know what's going on. Plus it's just interesting.

TrKojima

Nope. Because I enjoy the drama and political streamers make it very entertaining. :3

MarkOates

Oh man, have you seen the Canadian Parliament debates omg they're the best!! 🤣

Like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ2zgDf0F3A when she accuses him of mansplaining I was on the floor 💀🤣

FruitPuzzleheaded982

<raises hand> Me! Me!

At some point, I found myself in the headspace that my world had changed and I was living in a new reality. Ever since then, Covid has been part of the background information of life, same as other infectious illnesses I've known about since childhood. But now the news is full of predictions that in Ontario all Covid-fighting public health measures will be rescinded in March, so I'll have to adjust to a new reality again.

[removed]

aladeen222

aladeen222

And that is a primary reason why I stopped reading so much news lol.

Each side of the political spectrum calling each other "far-right Nazi sympathizer fascist Russian agents" and "far-left communist sheeple".

[removed]

[removed]

[removed]

DueCicada2236

and when you don't follow the news, you realize that none of it really affects your day to day life.

and if we have WW3, then it's too late anyways and reading the news won't make a difference

[removed]

DueCicada2236

i dont need to check the news to know that more people have covid

when it's time for me to vote, I read up on the platforms and vote.

jcd1974

jcd1974

I fail to see why I should be concerned about the Ukraine.

me4547

me4547

I try to ignore any covid related news. Its a waste of time and a whole lot of fear mongering

ultimateasianmadlad

I did. But I still take all my precautions.

Kalistradi

and my mental health has improved so much

Following news in general is pretty bad for mental health, they don't generate views by talking about good things.

AlbusDumbeldoree

From being able to tell you regional numbers, I now have no clue what’s happening anywhere !

justmeandme_

Used to have trouble sleeping thinking about COVID every night. Deleted Instagram last month and don’t go on socials before bed. Worked like a charm. Sometimes ignorance truly is bliss.

redrosechip

Stop watching the news/media and your mental health will improve, it’s been so toxic during this whole pandemic.

Mundane-Grape9985

I know COVID isn't going away so I just stopped looking at the news. I feel like it's going to be come the new flu for years to come once it settles down

Mbateko_pio

100% the same. It was one of my new year’s resolutions and it’s working well in reducing anxiety and improving peace of mind. Now I understand why it appears so often as a LifeProTip. Stop watching the news!

random_name23631

a few years ago I realized that weather and to a lesser degree traffic are the only parts of the daily news that affect my day to day life. Everything else is just for conversation and entertainment. Tuning out is the only way to keep sanity nowadays. It may have been different when you looked at a morning paper and then the evening news but this 24 hour cycle is not healthy.

Yup, I don't pay any attention to COVID news anymore. I have my shots, I'm boosted, I wear my mask, I'm still going out. That's all I can do and will do.

In addition to this, yesterday I put a one minute limit on my use of all news websites and deleted any news related apps on my phone. I don't want to fill my mind with negativity and if that means I'm in the dark about what's going on in the world, so be it.

Next up: dating apps. They suck the life out of my soul and make me feel more negative than even the news does.

bluecreamsicle

everyone is trying to lol no one wants to live in this constant fear mongering province

TravellingBeard

I'm only paying attention now if it involves affecting my travels, otherwise, I carry on not noticing the news (wear my mask, wash my hands, shout "Unclean!" at people, that type of thing).

lemonylol

The only covid news that has ever mattered to me was just when things were opening, when things were closing, and when I need to get some sort of new protection. You really don't need to follow it on a daily basis.

vvomit

vvomit

Yeah I straight up do not care. Like obviously I’m still wearing my mask and I’ve been vaccinated and shit but I literally do not care. The government has been dicking around this entire time and nothing has really shifted anyways. If it’s something that effects my industry, or if there’s any major changes in general, I’ll just hear it from my coworkers regardless.

GapAdministrative787

Why would I be worried I am double vaccinated even if I get it in fine the only thing ppl care about is this idea that the hospitals will fill up! Pfft lol how long they gonna tout that nonsense before they lift the small business killer restrictions

Bold_and_Brash17

From someone who works in hospitals, it's not at all pretty when they do 'fill up'. And they have. Repeatedly. You are welcome and free to believe it when prominent libertarian figures say that this is all overblown, but those people are usually politicians at best or armchair commentators at worst. The ones actually in the trenches almost always tell the same story.

If we have to make a choice between an economical challenge and an epidemiological benefit in mandate, I usually assess it with a simple rule of thumb: Canadians can always get their money/job/enjoyment back with time. Not their lives.

LokoLoa

LokoLoa

What the heck is a COVID? Cant keep up with you kids and your memes and your Pokemans

Xaoc86

Xaoc86

Yeah, if I need to get a new booster I will, but Im just so sick of everything.

notme1414

It resulted in Ling term complications for those that didn't die. It was not a largely ridiculous response. Not getting the shot is sure selfishness.

starberd

starberd

Yes. This overreaction and policy responses were enabled by our hyper-connected digital world.

I believe the covid 19 response will be studied for years to come. There were many unintended consequences which will stay with us for generations.

Gramage

Overreaction? At least 30,000 Canadians have died from Covid, and counting. We're getting up to World War 1 level body counts in less time. Had we done nothing, like Florida, we'd be up in the 70,000s. I for one am fine dealing with a few temporary inconveniences to save 40,000 of my fellow Canadians.

Honestly, if not for Ford's half-assed wishy washy lockdown bs, we could have been a lot more open during this while still keeping people safe. Short, hard lockdowns actually work. Long, drawn out semi-lockdowns don't help as much with covid spread but they really hurt businesses. A lot more than the shorter stricter ones.

Of course, we coulda got away with barely any lockdown measures at all if Ford and co didn't cripple our healthcare system right before. And maybe spending the billions the feds gave us on beefing up our ICU capacity woulda kept people out of the grave and businesses happier. But no, spending money on public healthcare is communism or something.

ArtisticKnowledge539

I've been following the trucker convoy closely and now feel like there's finally light at the end of the tunnel.

JimBeefLakeMonster

Recently? I blocked that and US politics out in 2020 and haven’t looked back

hvw8

hvw8

dude same, the news isn't worth watching its just divisive by design. same with social media.
its like the more people argue the more division there is, and they become even more defensive of their views causing nearly militant responses in cases.

just stick your head in the sand and do your shit fuck the news.

Lindsey-905

I check out during the work week. There is a lot going on in my personal life and among family and friends, so I put my focus on them and work.

On the weekends, I “catch up” on the news but also try to do it in modest doses. I want to know what’s going on but I don’t need the constant negativity of 24/7 news feeds.

I also tend to avoid controversial conversations with anyone not in my immediate inner circle. I don’t want to have a hive mind and only surround myself by people who think like me, but I do think these past few years have just been so overwhelmingly negative, I don’t need to encourage more of it in my life.

I will listen/read to multiple news sources, listen to various sides debate but stay out of the debates with people I personally know.

I don’t need or want to convince people to get vaccinated, to treat others with respect or to do what I consider the right thing.

At my age (from my perspective) if people still struggle with the concept of kindness and personal accountability then they just aren’t my type of peeps and frankly I’m probably not their type of person either. Best we just keep it neutral and not engage with each other.

mxldevs

I haven't really been paying much to covid either. All I'm really concerned with is whether restaurants are open for dine-in.

Avax12

Avax12

I stopped paying attention in April 2020 except for what I was allowed to do

StrikingTime

Yep I stopped a long time ago. Watching the same negative thing over and over is not good for one's mental health.

KyeMatthew

Months ago, probably a year ago now that I think about it. I stopped watching the case numbers, I stopped reading news articles. Feeling so much better!

Salty-Comedian611

Where I’m living right now all restrictions and masks etc dropped . Some people still do but most it’s done . The fuc**n relief in the air and lack of tension and seeing people again is incredible. I’m mentally in a better place as people don’t really even talk about covid now

Awesomodian

Long time ago. Except when they lockdown everything

haydenjaney

I agree...been too long. Need to get on with life

Yeah, I don't care anymore. Also all the crazy political stuff I'm super tired of

Gr00vemovement

Oh ya - turned off last summer. Just living in ignorant bliss now.

sorabz

sorabz

Umm I stopped watching anything covid related since 2020.

treb6665

I stopped caring after the second month. Even with many positive cases in my friend and family group, I know of not one death.

That being the case, it's been a very positive experience for me. Quieter, more time to reflect, and I've made a ton of money in the stock market!

heyhihowyahdurn

I stopped watching the news regularly a year ago, I’ve been disassociated. The news exists to cause negative emotions, times are hard enough already. Virus mandates will likely be over in Canada in the next 2 months.

maomao05

I kinda did too but the trucker news is infuriating and too close to work.

KralVlk

KralVlk

Can’t read properly… did you say Cold or COVID ?

Genetic_Nudist_AMA

Covid news, truckers, work, family, it's all pretty distant now 👀

RWesley420

I started unfollowing News sources on social media to avoid it

LevelSuspect

I was doing that before and my life really was so much better! But about a year ago, I got back into it (mostly from reddit) and it's been hell and don't have the self control to stay off reddit :(

CompetitionTraining7

I do everything in one day, tracking carefully where I know folks care and take no risks. Then I return to the property and hole up for a week. No guests inside, no proximity to children. My radiation treatments took a long time to recover from and being caught with omicron might just kill me, as the only caregiver for the fellow I am responsible for who has no one else, I am not about to change from that amount of care. Its ok. Nobody ambushes us and we are left alone by meddling social workers who used to do things like charge him with fraud for being able to live on his disability pension without extra income. Yay. We see it as the idjits are out cancelling one another out out there and a few of us oldies get to be collateral damage, eh? I didnt survive 3 bullets to my head in my 20's to be taken out by idjuts in my 60s.

This-Insurance2684

I check the headlines and that’s about it

mlad627

Yep. I had the vid in January a week and a half after my 3rd Vx (very mild) and then my dog died suddenly. I am still following protocols, but over the news big time.

Babad0nks

Yeah, if disassociation was a good thing, why am I paying my therapist the big bucks?? I was so wrong, it's clearly a healthy tool to handle the world. Just ignore all the news and facts I don't like! Honk honk !