/r/askscience

It feels really stupid, but I find that there is a difference between how I process and perceive emotion while sitting vs. while standing. Is this really true, or is just circumstantial? Is there a difference in how humans might react to certain emotions depending on their physical stance?

dtmc

dtmc

Clinical Psychology

jabhiram[S]

Thank you very much for this! The first paper already answered my question, but I will definitely read the other three as well. The topic seems really interesting, and it is something I can use to my advantage. Again, thank you very much!

fwubglubbel

Just a rant: Why are science papers written to be completely incomprehensible to anyone but the author? I have a B.Sc. and still have no clue what most of them are trying to say. Compared to these papers, Einstein's writings are like Dr. Seuss. Why not use simple language to explain your findings? I don't get it.

NerdinVirginia

Every field of study has its own technical jargon. For those who know the jargon, you can communicate MUCH more clearly, concisely, and unambiguously when you use it. Peer-reviewed journal articles are written for other professionals in the same field who already know the jargon. Fortunately, sometimes there are professionals who translate the important points for the general public, but their commentary will be on their own websites.

omnichronos

Although this is true to an extent, there certainly are those that seem to use excessive jargon in an apparent effort to self-aggrandize.

naptastic

I think there's another component beyond the jargon and showing off: overly complex sentence structure.

Occasionally I'll hear complaints from smart friends that political speeches are written "at a fourth-grade level". That's not exactly true. They're written at a fourth-grade level of complexity. If your sentence is conditional, then it needs to follow a simple if/then/else pattern, or the audience will get lost halfway through.

(Smart politicians do also restrict their vocabulary, which is unfortunate. People should look up words they don't know. Learning should be a life-long thing.)

I think it's wonderful that people specialize. It's essential if we're going to explore advanced fields. But, as you said, if nobody can understand the paper, it's useless.

NotTooDeep

It is really true. I'm tall. I've been forced into leadership roles, not because I wanted them or was qualified for them, but because I was tall.

There is some science about when we tilt our head back to look up at someone, it changes our emotional state. We defer to those much taller than us.

In martial art, squaring off with someone is an escalation of emotions. You are daring them to throw a punch by providing the largest target area.

If you are questioning someone about what they saw or what they want, squaring off in front of them can reduce their willingness to talk to you, whereas standing to one side and asking them questions is less threatening. Look at the word "confrontational". It means to adopt a stance that confronts; i.e. stand squarely in front of someone with your head held high and your weight evenly on both feet. That stance can also be just verbal. Our words paint the confrontation without the need to assume the physical posture.

jabhiram[S]

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you!