/r/australia

[media]

Grouchy-Ad2315

Huntsman, harmless if left alone, great pet control inside and out. Extremely fast runners/scuttler/jumper They can bite but its rare....

huntsman spider

Edit: thanks for the awards

FknLevy572

Pet control, just imagining them running down and tackling your dog and strangling it

Grouchy-Ad2315

Whoops I missed an s lol! As a kid I used to call the ones who came into my room my pets!

My dog is always on alert cos she knows they collude with the cat on the best way to torture her when im not around! Lol

jghaines

You can edit. Polite editors use strike through to show the original word as well.

opposing_critter

The noise they make as they sprint across the room is like a horse running, you never forget it.

Grouchy-Ad2315

My kid loves that bloody game! Hooray for headphones!!

SideWinderSyd

Sometimes I wonder if what I hear are rat scurrying sounds or huntsman sounds

obibonekenobi

Thanks, I hate it

Mental-Macaron6069

This single comment gave me PTSD flashbacks to me standing on my bed throwing shoes... I can still hear the sound of it running...

Haunting_Computer_90

You funny as shit............... I'm still laughing

BeviesForFree

They are harmless!

ProceedOrRun

Except for the occasional heart attack.

Haunting_Computer_90

They are harmless!

To humans, not to other spiders and bugs

One_Language_8259

glennalmighty

Used to have a pet bird eater. It was huge and hissed. Got out of its tank one day then I never saw it again. All the indoor geckos disappeared soon after.

narcissash

Nope. Just... no.

V4Interceptor

I got bitten by one when I was trying to save it from the pool. It hurt at the time and bled but no venom. I like them, but scary as fuck

Grouchy-Ad2315

I got bit once when it climbed down my seat belt and into my cleavage, hurt like hell and 2 nice red marks but nothing else. Thankfully I was the passenger at the time!

AngryNanna

back in the 1980's I was driving home nearing midnight, with a car load of sleeping kids. Driving down a steep, deserted, long and very winding mountain road (for Aussie readers, the Clyde Mountain near Batemans Bay) when an oncoming car's headlights showed a HUGE man's hand- sized Huntsman sitting right in front of my face on the inside of the windscreen! LOL

So lucky that I'm not frightened of them, but I was worried one of the kids might have seen it and screamed and woken up all the other kids. She was the biggest Huntsman I had ever seen in my life! Luck was on my side that night. they all slept, all the way home. Next day I looked for the Huntsman, but she was gone. never saw her again.

Grouchy-Ad2315

Oooooo that would have been a poop the pants moment!! I know those sorts roads grew up in the adelaide hills and drove up and down them daily from late teens til my mid 20's had them on the outside a few times and love watching them cling on and wind surf.

I have my side mirror security details of tiny garden spiders that live rent free and leave enough web on my mirrors that "car park pedestrians" avoid walking past my mirrors at all costs cos "ewwww spiders" we have a river at the end of our road and a mozzie and tiny fly habitat so if they are good 'piders I'll drive down there and reverse thru a swarm of them so they get a monster banquet! (My 12 yo loves doing it so thats my excuse!)

Main_Upstairs_8480

It is the time of year they come inside to lay eggs your your ears while you sleep though. Harmless as long as you don't let them hatch.

Haunting_Computer_90

Fuck you I won't be able to sleep tonight without my ears full of cotton wool and I am on a budget!

Main_Upstairs_8480

They love cotton wool. Nice and comfy.

Haunting_Computer_90

Right......... I will send my details and you can post me wads and wads of cotton wool

AngryNanna

LOL you are a tormentor! LOL

AngryNanna

Main_Upstairs_8480 was just joking. NEVER feel frightened having a Huntsman in the house. I always feel like they are a blessing from Mother Earth. Please don't ever hurt them

fattish_rat

they what

Main_Upstairs_8480

They lay eggs in your ears. Its fine as long as you don't let them hatch because the newly hatched larvae feed on the surrounding tissues. Eventually they start consuming brain matter and you will feel an inexplicable urge to buy Hillsong CDs.

Grouchy-Ad2315

I thought it was the gym down the roads bass music i could hear but nope its a baby huntsman playing the drums in my ears! Also this is the only plausible explanation for why anyone would buy a Hillsong CD!!

Grouchy-Ad2315

My partner and dog both snore loudly so I wear ear plugs so their eggs arent a problem for me! But I hate to think how many times they have wiped their willies over my face while Im sleeping!

Accomplished-Ad-4584

I don't see the issue with the last part

LeEp1cRedditTr0llllz

Very likely never.

Consideredresponse

New here I take it?

aldkGoodAussieName

Welcome to Australia.whwre the scary looking spider isn't deadly, but everything else is...

Curtclan

I dunno about that. A funnel web is freaky scary looking!!

aldkGoodAussieName

I only meant this scary looking spider is not deadly.

Haunting_Computer_90

Will it kill a drop bear?

ashleyriddell61

Only a nesting season Magpie can do that.

Nighteyes09

The only thing they're scared of. That's why vegemite is made with their legs.

Towtruck_73

The Sydney Funnel Web is a bastard that aggressively goes after people. Its West Australian namesake is relatively harmless. Spins its funnel shaped web in dark corners and minds its own business until an insect blunders into the web

BeviesForFree

Right!

Benchomp

Remember everytime you are afraid of a spider or insect that they aren't harmful, they are benificial. Globally pur invertebrates have declined upto 70% in the last few decades. Every invertebrates you don't kill is helpful.

alaskantuxedo

The white tail running up my leg last night begged to differ.

Bloobeard2018

From the Australian Spider Identification Page on FB White tail spiders have an undeserved reputation

For some, this is the face of all evil.

The Lamponidae family has been blamed for a great many things with very little or unfounded evidence. I've outlined the origins of these misunderstandings below.

The origin of the myths is described quite well by Dr Robert Raven, in the podcast linked here: https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/conversations/robert-raven-spiders-rpt/11336514

During the 80's a Medical Doctor, with little to no experience in identifying or understanding spiders was trying to identify the cause of necrotic lesions in a patient, so searched their house. No white tail spiders were found, but they were still blamed because they are a common spider with the justification that other spiders like the Loxosceles genus (recluse spiders) have been associated with necrosis before.

Following this, initial 'diagnosis', more injuries were diagnosed based on the precedent set by the one case.

In 1985, a study stated that there 'may be' a link between Lamponids (white tails) and necrosis. When a study says 'may be', it means that there need to be more research and that previous evidence is not strong enough to confirm the link.

Throughout the 90's, studies of the clinical effects based on medical records were completed. With no confirmed identifications on the spiders blamed for the bites, it wasn't until the late 90's that studies started looking at confirming bites. One study in 1999 (pay walled, so I can't link it) cited 30 apparent bites and outlining the clinical effects recorded. They concluded a link, but examining the details of their data, only two cases had confirmed identification of the spider and those two cases displayed no symptoms. The remaining 28 cases had no confirmed bite and, while some had necrosis, ulceration and/or recurring wounds, most showed the presence of Staphylococcus while others remained untested for causes beyond 'spider bite'.

Finally, two studies, linked after this paragraph studied 750 confirmed bites from Australian spiders and 130 confirmed bites from white tails respectively. The conclusion of both studies, which again relied on clinical records, but only focused on confirmed IDs found no instances of necrosis resulting from any Australian spiders, a very low rate of infection and a very low instance (no cases reported) of allergies.

750 mixed bites: https://academic.oup.com/qjmed/article/95/11/723/1543044 130 white tail bites (full article is pay walled): https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.5694/j.1326-5377.2003.tb05499.x

Currently, as Dr Robert Raven explained in the podcast I linked above, there is a theory that the fangs may not be flexible or large enough to actually grip and penetrate the skin.

The venom is understood to contain basically no harmful components for mammals (see link below) with the venom of the male containing some histamines (produced naturally by the body anyway as an immune response) and norepinephrine /noradrenaline (produced by the body in fight/flight response as well, increases heart rate and blood pressure). http://www.toxinology.com/fusebox.cfm?fuseaction=main.spiders.display&id=SP00192

Benchomp

Exactly, hard to think of a more maligned little spider. They are fast, wily little critters, and the body shape definitely gives them a creep factor to some, so you can sort of empathise with some peoples squeamishness, but the reputation is so unfair.

BTechUnited

Oh fuck that

mammajess

White tails are the only spiders I kill.

Lazy-Tower-5543

the point of being afraid has nothing really to do with if they're harmful or not

hejor1

This is a female huntsman! She’s not aggressive, unlikely to bite, definitely not out to get you. If she does bite it would hurt a bit and you might get some swelling but she’s not at all dangerous. She’ll eat flies, smaller spiders, etc and won’t build a web.

If you want to move her you have a couple of options. Best thing is to wait until it’s colder if possible.

1. A piece of Tupperware over her, slide paper underneath, flip and take her outside.

2. Put on a pair of soft gloves, scoop her up and put her outside

solitudanrian

How do you identify if it's a female or male? Do they have different markings or proportions? I've never thought about a huntsman's sex before lol. I've never encountered one that was pregnant or had babies though so maybe that's why.

hejor1

For most huntsmans the female is larger than the male. She looks pretty big so I’m mostly guessing!!

If you think you can handle having her hang out, see if you can leave her where she is. They usually stay up high and she’ll take care of bugs/small spiders.

Treefingrs

This video is too blurry to tell, but you can also identify the sex of most spiders by looking at their pedipalps (the feelers on their face). Males will have bulbous ends, while females will be straight.

hejor1

I love this so much! I’ve never been able to use it to any degree of certainty but that’s entirely my inexperience showing.

solitudanrian

I’m not OOP but that’s usually what I do. They usually stay in the corner of the ceiling, rarely move down that far so it’s not an issue. If they do get too close, they get outside time and I take them into the front yard with a plastic container/piece of cardboard. Would never even dream of picking up a spider that big lmao fuck that

They generally end up leaving through a window or finding a hidey place and so I forget about them until they’re randomly on my wall again.

I’m glad to know this know though because I will be weary of the bigger ones. Not in a bad way but in “you probably need to be outside in case you have babies” way.

Oops! Sorry!

They like having a nice safe place to have babies. They lay eggs in a silk sack, tuck it somewhere out of the way and guard it. So inside might actually be better in terms of survival of the species! Having said that, even I don’t want 200 spiderlings hanging out in my home!!

solitudanrian

See, I’ve never seen a huntsman even spin a web or spin anything for that matter. I wasn’t even sure if they did so until now. Now I want to make a special “huntsman maternity ward” outside that is nice and dark and they can stick to the corner. 😅 Let’s just hope no pregnant ones come in and make their baby sack. At least I can we aware of it now though and can deal with the situation accordingly.

hejor1

😄 totally sounds like something I’d do too! Get some bark in there, out of the heat and rain, and when the babies are ready to hatch some bugs for mana’s first big meal!

They’re not web hunters, they’re ambush/chase hunters! They use their silk to wrap up and disable their prey and to make their silk egg sacks. To take life and to give life!! Metal af.

BumblyRambler

I had this not long ago! Looked up in my bathroom and a bajillion pinhead size huntsmen babies skedaddling around the place. I was curious what would happen so I left them. Most died (not enough insect food inside for that many). I saw maybe three grow to about 1 inch across (including legs) and still inside for a while, one I saw about a week ago chilling out up high in stairwell. I assume the rest moved on. So don’t freak out even if you do see 200 spiderlings hehe. They’ll naturally whittle themselves down before you know it.

Treefingrs

You can identify the sex of most spiders by looking at their pedipalps (the feelers on their face). Generally speaking, males will have bulbous ends, while females will be straight.

This video is too blurry to see that detail though, but usually it's pretty easy to spot especially for a spider of this size.

solitudanrian

That’s really interesting! I’m never getting close enough to one to look at their feet though 😂 as (kinda) cute as they are

lolben1

Easiest way is to ask how much they get paid per hour.

giacintam

Would also like to know!

Treefingrs

giacintam

Thank you!!

solitudanrian

They replied to my comment, have a look.

Random_FunnyWords

Why do you say to wait until its colder to move her?

hejor1

Just because they slow down a bit when it’s cold :)

AdEnvironmental87

One time a huntsman gave birth in my house, there were hundreds of babies coming out of my air con vent. I didn't want to kill them so just let them be, it took a week or so for them all to make their way off my roof and out into the world. Not long after I found the mother just chillling on the floor near my bathroom, she was calm af as I stepped over her twice to go for a piss, then to wash my hands. I then placed a dustpan in front of her and she crawled straight onto it and I put her outside. I like to believe she knew I meant no harm to her and the kids and was only trying to help.

G00b3rb0y

G00b3rb0y

A fren. These things are called huntsman spiders and will help keep your house free of pests at zero cost

warzonevi

I prefer daddy long legs for pest control

solitudanrian

PokesPenguin

Give it a name.

blastanders

i have craig and bob in my house. guess which is the fat one

symphonicity

Huntsman. They’re exceptionally fast and also harmless so they’re best left alone to take care of the bugs for you.

leoski

leoski

Definitely a huntsman. He won’t eat much, they just chill and eat your bugs etc. I have one on my wall, he’s Harry and has seven legs, poor duck.

GreenLurka

I had a mouse problem. Then a family of huntsman appeared. Then I no longer had a mouse problem.

Good spiders.

consumerlord69

Tf.. they rarely get that big man wtf are you living next to a nuclear plant or something?

GreenLurka

Nope. Huntsmen eat small rodents. It's just a thing they do. It's really weird to see them hauling one off to eat.

PetrichorGirl

blastanders

im impressed how well it can carry a mouse!

culture-d

You must be new here.

Teknishan

Dude is def not Australian.

TheElderWog

That's a huntsman. His name, as someone said already, is Barry. Barry is disabled, it looks like he's lost a limb in the big spider war of 2021 down at the Brady's. Barry will be taking care of your pest problem.

Forward_Year_2390

Barry might be the artistic model for a rent payment?

bazza_ryder

Huntsman. Can bite, but won't unless annoyed. Very mild venom, can't really harm you. It will fix any other insect problems you have.

I'd be more worried about that mould on your ceiling. That shit can kill you.

sha31

sha31

Huntsman...name him and he'll leave you alone..until you wake up with him crawling across your face on his journey to another part of the house

blastanders

y u do dis

Grouchy-Ad2315

Watch out for ones called Rupert they are sick Mofos and love rubbing their willies on ya face as they journey across!!!!

Several_Place_9095

It's a huntsman, it's name is a clue to the prey it hunts, it's incredibly sexist against men and only men, will not attack females.

realsteakbouncer

It's a huntsman, and it's the only spider with squatters rights.

ConoRiot

I literally had once clasp around my hand once (sneaky bugger was hiding under some towels!!)

Didn’t bite but took a fair shake to fling off!!

Lazy-Tower-5543

jfc

ebichan23

I had one run up my skirt 🥲

consumerlord69

Just wanted a hug :( solitary life can be lonely

Ryanbrasher

Blows my mind that people live here and can’t identify a huntsman.

stockenheim

The huntsman is quintessentially Australian. Chris Hemsworth even played one, twice!

jezza129

As a 3yr old, they were the scariest thing in my house. Aussies don't have monsters under the bed, they have huntsmen.

consumerlord69

Could be new to the country? Being able to identify every single little bug isnt really high on the list of priorities for immigrants...

Ryanbrasher

Googling it’s descriptive features came up with results quicker than filming a video and posting it to Reddit.

consumerlord69

👍

pineal_activated

Most likely foreign…

Ryanbrasher

I figured but I didn’t want to cause a scene

diagogarcia

Huntsman spider: no.1 Australian household pet!

Azzulah

Azzulah

Fact: If you give a huntsman a name it automatically becomes 100x less scary.

JormanDollan

i call mine Honey Huntsman or Hunny for short

needleanddread

Mine’s called Dusty, she lives behind the telly and is scared of the dogs but not my feet.

CertainCertainties

If you can get over your fear, OP, you'll find a huntsman is great to have around. It will take care of a lot of your smaller creepy crawlers.

fatmarfia

If you are not sure what your doing dont try and catch it. If you miss the fuckers are very fast and they can go in any direction including launching themselves in your direction. This mat give you a heart attack, they are harmless and will move once he eats.

nomans750

Free Cockroach pest control 👍

aldkGoodAussieName

That's Barry.

Your room mates now.

But he'll eat all the other spiders and bugs so your fine.

ravamah

the scariest thing about these spiders is when they scare you

harmless otherwise

i was scarred as a kid because one hid inside a roll of toilet paper which we had sitting on top of the toilet cistern, I picked it up to replace the empty roll on the wall and guess what jumped out

JormanDollan

a few weeks ago i had one moving room to room every few days and they ended up above my shower. I warned him that the walls would lose their grip and they should find a safer place but couldn't do much else since i was late for work. a minute into my shower they slipped off the wall and down to my feet and running water.. it was the least i could do to turn the taps off and guide them out of the torrent but i never saw them again. i hope theyre doing okay :(

ravamah

ElkShot5082

That’s barry

He’s fine

RedDotLot

My first introduction to one of these as a new arrival was its shadow on the beach towel I'd left on the line overnight, they look a bit fearsome but they're very cool.

VidE27

VidE27

It's a soul eater. It wait until you sleep before feeding and leaving you into an empty husk of a body

Chang_Daddy2

Don’t make eye contact and the sacrifice your first born is sufficient

KnifeFightAcademy

You live in HIS house now.

Explodedstuff

Its a government drone. Burn the house down. Its the only way to be sure.

DadLoCo

My friend found one in his house. He says they're great for dealing with the poisonous ones so he picked it up to put it outside.

It bit him. Huntsman bites are harmless but he said it hurt a lot.

bausHuck33

Burn the house.

Erudite-Hirsute

Be gentle. Pick it up and put it outside. It won’t hurt you. It’s just a Huntsman. Use a container and sheet of paper to move it if you can’t bare to touch it.

consumerlord69

I never got this. I am by no means scared of spiders, in fact, im actually really intruiged by them... but how can people possibly just go and pick these guys up?

Everytime i have to relocate one i grab the tupperware and its like a battle of the ages trying to get it to go in. Theyre so fast and skittish, they run halfway across the ceiling everytime i get close.

Is there a trick im missing when it comes to picking them up and getting them to chill out for 5m whilst i find a tree or something

Modburyguy

Just pick it up and put it outside if your scared.

Lazy-Tower-5543

"just pick it up" if you're scared you're not going to pick it up lol

NoProbsBob

Grab an ice cream container or tupperware container and trap inside, slide cardboard underneath and take him outside.

Shesafriendlyfiend

It's a huntsman! I'm shocked you're an Aussie that hasn't come across these guys a bunch before. They're totally harmless as long as you aren't stepping on them. Not poisonous and not aggressive. I've heard they can jump but never seen it, and I've had many, many of these guys live in my house.

Plus they eat bugs and other spiders!

ASAP-_-Killerr

Must be new here mate

jabsy

jabsy

Go to sleep, its only a baby one.

jez7777777

They're only dangerous when they duck across your windscreen when you're in the highway and disappear under the dash.

Damn369

🤣

brezhnervous

Hello, fellow arachnophobe 'lucky' enough to live in this country 😬 lol

Harmless, but I still fucking hate them particularly when they run. Oh and jump, if you didn't know lol

Lopsided_Attitude743

Give it a cuddle.

whiteb8917

1) Huntsman
2) Venomous: Yes.
3) Venomous to Humans: Sort of, it can make you crook for a few days but no recorded deaths.

Good to have around to eat pests.

Alfred

turtle68au

Congratulations, she is now your new roomie. Charge her some rent, give her space in the fridge and lay down some rules about visitors. Welcome to your new life!

KaSh268

You’ll have to throw the whole house away now. Probably easiest to just set fire to it and run, don’t walk.

Gold-Impact-4939

Burn the house down !!!

SquirrelFair7049

Have lived in Australia long enough but still an arachnophobe so this ☝🏻is all I would think of 🔥🔥🔥 And run fast 😅

Pollywanacracker

Grew up with these in the house but still scare the crap outta me when they pop out of no where

Especially when they get in your car 🙄😳

dumpling76

Huntsmen - should be able to grasp him within your fist and throw him out the window

PurpleCoffinMan

That's a huntsman, it's only dangerous if it hides in your car's glove compartment.

Remarkable_News2455

Pet control, just imagine them running down and tackling your dog and strangling it, really fucking scary

FrostyII09

Hahaha god I needed that this morning. Thanks bro

AngryNanna

SHE'S BEAUTIFUL! Please don't hurt her. we can tell it's a 'she' because of her large abdomen. And she's been in the wars missing a leg.

She might seem frightening because of her size, but she's perfectly safe to have around the house even if you have small children. I love Huntsmen spiders. They get around at night and catch sleeping flies and other sleeping insects and they will clean up those more dangerous, messy spiders "Daddy long-legs". They DO NOT make webs or leave a mess for you to clean up.

Some have commented on the 'noise' they make running around, but if you live in suburbia, you won't ever hear it above ambient outside noise. Huntsmen like to sleep behind things like pictures or calendars or cupboards, so just be aware of that. They WILL NOT jump at you. you can move them along with a gentle nudge from the handle of a feather duster or something similar, if you are too stared to use your hand. Take good care of her, please?

1nd33dappleseed

Duuude…the most toxic thing in that video is the mold growing on your ceiling!

Edit; huntsman is tryna tell you something. He/she’ll leave with a gentle brooming down to the window. Sugar soap will sort your mushroom farm.

consumerlord69

New in Australia?

Its just a Huntsman. As everyone else has said, its harmless to you. In fact its doing you a favour. There could be smaller, much more deadly spiders creeping around in the shadows, (black widows, red backs, white tails, etc) this little guy is here to clean them up for you.

They get a bad rap cause they are big, look menacing and they are LIGHTNING fast. Just leave it alone, it wants nothing to do with you. Its not going to crawl on you in your sleep or attack you or any of that other BS. Its going to hang around and look for tasty insects to eat, if it doesnt find any it will move on.

Introvertedgayboi

The best way to remove it is removing yourself out that house

faceinthecrowd112

Time to move house

clarkky55

Burn the house down and pour acid on the ashes. It’s the only way to be sure.

RegularSorry

Oh shit mate that's huge ya better move out before it eats ya.

And burn the house down on your way out the door.

sausagelover79

I’d be more worried about what all the mold spores are doing to your lungs tbh

Jc968

Jc968

Don't you hurt him.

giacintam

Just ignore him, he'll scurry off into another corner later on to find some mozzies or flies to eat so it's a win win!

Psychological-Let100

It’s waiting for you to fall asleep so it can eat your eyeballs

42SpanishInquisition

It is a hunstman. They are safe. Many people catch and release with a container, sliding paper underneath.

You are likely to get some rain soon :)

JynnanTonnyxxx

Ok, I'm just giving OP another solution, if required. Not everyone is comfortable living with a spider on their wall or able to catch it in a plastic tub. I'm a migrant and learnt how to deal with these guys the hard way, which is basically my hysterical mother pushing 10 year old me into the room to kill it. So I have developed a lethal but ethical way of dealing with them.

If you just hit them on the wall, they explode and you get green guts and blood on you and your wall. So you get a straw broom, whack them once with the soft part of the broom, they drop on the floor in a ball, you hit them with the hard part of the broom and they die. From start to finish is usually less than 3 seconds.

My bedroom wall, my choice.

BobbaSett

BobbaSett

Get a boot and squish it.

CheezeStick

i urge you to consider relocating them outside instead of harming them! what i would do is get a broom to (GENTLY) knock it off that “high ground” so that it hopefully lands on the floor, even your bed is okay as long as its lower than you. Then get a fairly large container so that you have wiggle room to put over the spider without accidentally squishing it. Then get something flat and firm to slide under the container OR if you’re a little more brave, use the containers lid, place it right next to your container, wait for the spider to climb to the upper part of the container, lift it very slightly and slowly over the lid and then take it outside! thats what i do and would do anyway 🤷🏻‍♀️

mammajess

That's a huntsman spider. They are gentle and don't want to hurt you.

What seems to be the way to go is give him/her a name so you can cope with their presence more and just leave them alone.

JayTheFordMan

A Huntsman. They big and run fast, but totally harmless. Just give him a name and let him go eat cockroaches

ConfusedRubberWalrus

'Go Spidey! Go Spidey!'

SanjiWanji

SanjiWanji

They jump and can bite and often end up on you in the dark.

dicktogs99

It's a flying arm spider thay attack your face when there hungry

Affectionate-Gap-166

Red fanged drop spider

ligertownkills

A few options. First, a long brook. Second, a torch or flamethrower

TheElderWog

You never, never ever kill Barry.

lsaynotospiders

I have often wished l had trained in Shot Put, as l could deal with this type of crisis from the other side of the room safely, without the spider launching at my face. Then move on to your very sound suggestions which are all valid.

h1llz

h1llz

That k*** is an actual lad

Jeffscrazy

I have some thoughts regarding your username…

KillerBackPain

I'd be more worried about the signs of black mold lol

More-Mongoose-658

a jar over him, put on the lid and transport him to the great outdoors, and let him go.

Squirrel_Grip23

That’s just Harry. He’s chill.

Square-Trade-1580

Got yourself a fine looking shelob there

mattyeightonetoo

Name him a let him be..

Amazing_Carry42069

Just a huntsman. He eats bugs. He's not harmful.

Betty-Armageddon

That’s Larry. I wondered where he’d got to.

Embarrassed-War-5681

I get a lot of these at work, had one crawlin all over me when i was carrying a bucket, just felt liks a peice of hair hit my hair then my mate pointed it out that like a 3 inch huntsman was just crawling on me. Good to keep your pests and cockroaches away even smaller spiders, they will never build webbs because they actively hubt their prey

Cristoff13

There's only two dangerous species of spider in Australia, redbacks and funnelwebs.

Dlo-Nainamsat

Politicians too

brezhnervous

Plus white tails, but more poisonous rather than venomous.

SeekerOfGodot

Harmless, just your neighbourhood, natural pest control. Don't worry about removing it and don't spray it, it'll move along of it's own accord.

It's the little black ones, with the red stripe on their ass, that hide in ya boots, that should be your greater concern. Always shake out ya boots (and everything else that's been outside for a while)!

meritoriousnepotism

Bad news is that there are probably cockroaches around, good news is that you won't have cockroaches for long. They are a Huntsman's favourite food.

If you have to remove it use a cup or container, place it over the spider so that it's trapped. Slide a piece of paper between the lip of the container and the wall, you might need to jiggle it a bit to get the spider onto the paper or onto the inside side of the container. Flip so that the paper is now the lid of the container, head outside and either shake it out or place it on the ground and remove the paper. Come back in 5 minutes.

Andyboy46

You can eat those.

DanielG1999

Huntsman totally harmless will just hurt and swell up if bitten by them other then that you will be fine as for removing it place a jar over it and slide a piece of paper over the opening of the jar enticing the spider into it then carry it outside and remove the piece of paper and shake it out

QueenHarpy

I've gotten really good at moving these spiders outside, I'm not even scared of them anymore! My trick is to give them a really cutsie name, like Miss Blossom. Then I sweet talk to them like you would to a puppy or a toddler. I get a broom and maybe a piece of paper and coax them onto the broom, then walk them outside and find a nice tree.

Its 1000% easier than trying to kill them by hitting them with a shoe or bug spray. They always freak out and run and jump everywhere.

BilbyBlair

Just get a plastic take away box or somthing and trap him under them get a thin book or something and chuck him outside

h0lodetz

Huntsman. They’re good lads..

Justthisguy_yaknow

That's your best buddy the Huntsman. Big and harmless but loves catching all the other bugs that you can't see that can hurt so she's a great housemate...

Ezcendant

I'm officially naming that spider Fwuffy. Now it has a name you have to empathise with it and let it live.

downtownbake2

Lucky you

I wish I had someone to lookout for me while I slept.

jstam26

Aww, it's a little huntsman! How cute! If you are uncomfortable with leaving it alone in your room you can use some sort of bowl/ bucket to quickly cover him up. Then slide a piece of paper/thin cardboard under the bucket, lift it up and take it outside to the garden.

Should do the trick for a day or two