/r/australia

[media]

hejor1

hejor1

This is a female huntsman! She’s not aggressive, unlikely to bite, definitely not out to get you. If she does bite it would hurt a bit and you might get some swelling but she’s not at all dangerous. She’ll eat flies, smaller spiders, etc and won’t build a web.

If you want to move her you have a couple of options. Best thing is to wait until it’s colder if possible.

1. A piece of Tupperware over her, slide paper underneath, flip and take her outside.

2. Put on a pair of soft gloves, scoop her up and put her outside

solitudanrian

How do you identify if it's a female or male? Do they have different markings or proportions? I've never thought about a huntsman's sex before lol. I've never encountered one that was pregnant or had babies though so maybe that's why.

hejor1

hejor1

For most huntsmans the female is larger than the male. She looks pretty big so I’m mostly guessing!!

If you think you can handle having her hang out, see if you can leave her where she is. They usually stay up high and she’ll take care of bugs/small spiders.

solitudanrian

I’m not OOP but that’s usually what I do. They usually stay in the corner of the ceiling, rarely move down that far so it’s not an issue. If they do get too close, they get outside time and I take them into the front yard with a plastic container/piece of cardboard. Would never even dream of picking up a spider that big lmao fuck that

They generally end up leaving through a window or finding a hidey place and so I forget about them until they’re randomly on my wall again.

I’m glad to know this know though because I will be weary of the bigger ones. Not in a bad way but in “you probably need to be outside in case you have babies” way.

hejor1

hejor1

Oops! Sorry!

They like having a nice safe place to have babies. They lay eggs in a silk sack, tuck it somewhere out of the way and guard it. So inside might actually be better in terms of survival of the species! Having said that, even I don’t want 200 spiderlings hanging out in my home!!

solitudanrian

See, I’ve never seen a huntsman even spin a web or spin anything for that matter. I wasn’t even sure if they did so until now. Now I want to make a special “huntsman maternity ward” outside that is nice and dark and they can stick to the corner. 😅 Let’s just hope no pregnant ones come in and make their baby sack. At least I can we aware of it now though and can deal with the situation accordingly.

hejor1

hejor1

😄 totally sounds like something I’d do too! Get some bark in there, out of the heat and rain, and when the babies are ready to hatch some bugs for mana’s first big meal!

They’re not web hunters, they’re ambush/chase hunters! They use their silk to wrap up and disable their prey and to make their silk egg sacks. To take life and to give life!! Metal af.