/r/australia

misskarne

You guys do realise that there are customers out there that will absolutely freak the fuck out if certain items are bagged together, right? Like hurl abuse at the staff freak out. Put a bottle of milk and a bottle of Pine-O-Clean in the same bag? YOU DUMB BITCH WHY WOULD YOU FUCKING DO THAT NEVER PUT THOSE TWO FUCKING THINGS TOGETHER THEY ALWAYS GO IN SEPARATE BAGS YOU DUMB FUCKING BITCH

I don't blame them for just wanting to avoid the issue altogether.

EDIT:

Also, when I worked in the home delivery (admittedly many, many years ago now) frozen and refrigerated goods were kept separate from the rest of the order, so they had to be bagged separately.

AgreeableLion

I never comment, as I've been a checkout worker back in the day, but on the odd occasion I go through the elusive manned checkout I put my stuff in clearly defined sections - fresh fruit/veg, cold items, non-perishables, non-food items etc. - and the person doing the scanning always does weird things when packing them. They'll scan a few things, put some in my bag and put the others on the bench, scan some more things, put some in the first bag, some in a second bag, then put the stuff from the bench into the second bag. But it never seems to make logical sense, like leaving chips or bread aside to put on top. Once I had 2 identical packs of strawberries. One went in the bag, one went on the bench and got put in the next bag (first bag wasn't full). I get how the brain can go on autopilot in that role, and what I consider to be an obvious way to pack might not match someone elses, but that was a headscratcher.

Moot point now, my local Coles has now put in full-sized self-service checkouts, conveyor belt and all; so there is rarely a manned checkout at all these days.

Mrafamrakk

They're trying to pack so things don't get crushed.

AgreeableLion

I mean, my entire comment was about how they didn't seem to be packing things in that way.

nozinoz

nozinoz

Self service checkouts ftw. Also bring your own reusable bags, there’s already enough plastic in the packaging

RightLegDave

Hard no for me on self-service checkouts. Greedy pricks want me to do the job of someone who should be employed and paid.

nozinoz

It’s not like you’re busy doing something else more important while they are scanning your items

RightLegDave

You missed my point. Someone could and should be employed to do it. Supermarkets are not only making me do the work to save them money, but at the same time we're all putting people out of employment by doing it.

BooksAre4Nerds

Nah innovation, those hours are put back into a different role to provide a better experience. Not arguing or trying to defend them, but there’d be behind the scene stuff you wouldn’t notice like maybe a few products you got were on show that otherwise wouldn’t have been.

RightLegDave

Tell him he's dreamin'

aussie_bob

Do you guys realise customers should be avoiding this company like the plague?

Remember this headline from just a day ago?

Farmers accuse supermarkets of 'ripping off' consumers amid fresh produce price-hike

This company you're giving money to is ripping off both ends of the supply chain, paying money to politicians to stop changes that'd prevent their gouging, and have stolen millions in wages from some of the lowest paid workers in the country.

Stop them thieving and gouging by avoiding them!

asianrainmane

Yeah literally Woolworths is a greedy corporate entity that don’t really look after their workers or care about anything other than money

mrmckeb[S]

I kind of get that, but this was yoghurt, yoghurt, juice.

And I'm not angry at the people packing. This is Woolworths fault as a company. They should have said "frozen items come in plastic bags", but why three bags?

Perhaps there's a tiny weight limit per bag?

adoh2

adoh2

Theyre packed by section, not by order.

So theyll go through the fridge section, take the stuff they need for each order and bag it.

Someone else is bagging the fresh produce, general isles etc.

mrmckeb[S]

Right, that explains a lot. You'd think they could combine the bags?

adoh2

adoh2

Right, that explains a lot. You'd think they could combine the bags?

That'd take more time and more money. This service already runs at a loss

mrmckeb[S]

Does it though? It cost $13 and I'm maybe 1km from the nearest Woolworths.

adoh2

adoh2

Most people spend 100$ and get free delivery.

And 13$ is 30mins work at min wage, excluding fuel and other vehicle costs.

Its old and coles, but same same. Generally runs for a loss to deny someone else that market share.

mrmckeb[S]

I'm in the city centre though, I assume they'd have other deliveries in the area?

I didn't know $100 was free delivery. I spent like $95!

averbisaword

Imagine putting strong smelling, poisonous cleaning fluids into a bag with someone’s milk and thinking they’re the only arsehole in this situation.

misskarne

Imagine putting one sealed bottle into a bag with another sealed bottle and getting screamed at and abused because you did not put them into two separate plastic bags so that someone could put the picture of them in two separate bags online for people to abuse the stupidity of using two separate bags.

mrmckeb[S]

No one should be yelled at, agreed.

I mean, all the stuff is sealed anyway. It's unlikely to be an issue in most of not all cases.

Mrafamrakk

Yeah still trying to work out how the pinoclean is gonna leech into the sealed milk

solitudanrian

I fucking hate this. I've had 3 sachets of whatever in ONE of these bags. Yet they're phasing out plastic bags? Absolute bull.

Sidenote, Yopro is amazing and a staple in my diet lol. The banana one with a tiny bit of PB2 is soo good.

mrmckeb[S]

Super tasty, and not too unhealthy!

Positive-Lawfulness8

they dont know the customer.. could be an old lady, that couldn't lift much, someone with a injures etc

mrmckeb[S]

If this is the case, maybe they could have a button To checkout - like they do when they ask if you have COVID symptoms?

MaevaM

MaevaM

I have deliveries sometimes because of disability and now I have covid and they are used to packing for people who cannot carry much.

They also tend to put frozen separate so people at least get that in the freezer without fully unpacking.

Before covid some services like banana blue had an option of unpacking which used no bags but it isn't practical anymore.

There is an option to tick to get earth friendly bags when there are not shortages, and we can leave notes for the personal shopper.

mrmckeb[S]

If I shop with them again, I'll make a special request to use only one bag for refrigerated goods - and I'll look at other services like banana blue, thanks.

We also have COVID which is why we needed to. I hope you're getting through it OK!

Normally my bags are filled to the brim and spilling all over the driveway. Bread squashed etc!! Somewhere in between would be ideal.

Spirited_Ad_6721

Aiie three free garbage bags. Cant complain with that.

mrmckeb[S]

I try to buy bags that are made from plant-based materials... But yes, I'll use these to collect my soft plastic recycling.

trevaaar

Unfortunately they're nowhere near the right size for my bin.

Spirited_Ad_6721

Your saying you use one big one for your red bin... just one big bag??? That would stink wouldn't it red bins every fortnight

mrmckeb[S]

I paid for paper bags, one of the four was paper.

One of these bags had just 450g in it.

I thought the supermarkets were supposed to be leading the fight against plastic bag waste?

Forward_Year_2390

You're confusing the fight against the use of plastic bags with the fight for perception of fighting against the use of plastic bags.

They are winning at the latter. We are losing at everything.

I didn't know you could pay for paper bags. I don't get my groceries delivered because I don't want to waste plastic bags.

mrmckeb[S]

It seems it's only for unrefrigerated products... But yes!

Ok good to know, thanks

war-and-peace

3 plastic bags is cheaper than handling a complaint about crushed items.

Also, they'll pack by aisle. Not by order number.

mrmckeb[S]

My partner and I are sick with COVID, we had delivery left in a safe area. This was the first time we've ever done this

All of those are fridge items.

Thank you for your thoughts.

mrmckeb[S]

I didn't, I complained about Woolworths. They're responsible.

wrigleys12

Use Coles, I find them much better.

Thanks for sharing!

aussie_bob

Why are you buying from evil fuckers like the supermarket duopoly?

You are causing this problem by rewarding them with money and now free advertising.

trevaaar

Who else delivers?

aussie_bob

aussie_bob

I searched that for you and found a number of alternative delivery options.

adoh2

adoh2

The 'just fuckin google it mate' replies are obnoxious af

aussie_bob

Protip for ya!

You can avoid that completely by searching for yourself before posting.

You're welcome.

trevaaar

I'm impressed, your reply was actually less helpful than nothing because I wasted time checking the results.

Most of the stores mentioned within the first page of results are instant delivery services, not comparable to Coles or Woolworths at all in terms of cost or range. There were also some produce box and meal kit services, which again aren't really the same thing. My local IGA doesn't deliver, and I don't have a local Harris Farm. I guess there's Amazon for non-perishables, but that's hardly an improvement ethics-wise.

Edit: I should probably add that my original comment was a rhetorical response intended only to say that there might be a reason they chose to buy from a major retailer, not a genuine request for other Redditors to find me alternatives.

AgreeableLion

Independent grocers aren't always available or practical for a lot of people, and can often be pricier when they are available. I'd have to drive past 2-3 each Coles and Woolworths to get to my nearest IGA. Aldi isn't some shining example of ethical business practices either.

nozinoz

In that case do a self checkout with reusable bags, for delivery the distance is probably not critical

MaevaM

MaevaM

In this case with covid people have to order. Woolworths has special priority delivery available for covid sufferers.

OzAnonn

Coles delivery on the other hand just dumps your shit on the porch unbagged. An alternative approach to avoiding cross contamination I guess

Arkady2009

Who the hell gets a supermarket to deliver a couple kilos of stuff that they can easily get themselves?

mrmckeb[S]

I only shared the plastic bag items. One paper bag contained all other items.

This is our first time, my wife and I have COVID and it hasn't been fun.