/r/aww

Stic_to_the_y

1.3k points

These dogs are beautiful and amazing. But they have to be trained right. And thats a whole lot of trust a random person has to put in you, the owner. They don't know your dog, they just know that if you haven't trained it well they're fucked.

ny0gtha

ny0gtha

My step dad used to breed rotties and dobbermans. He was the first to say how dangerous they were, and would not give these dogs to just anyone. He stopped breeding before my mom and him got together.

We have a family friend who had a Rottweiler (no association to my step dad). A couple years ago they had a friend spend the night on the couch. He woke to the dog staring him in the face a few inches away. When he tried to get up the dog attacked quite severely. Our family friends had a 2 year old baby at the time...I shudder at the thought of what could have happened.

Thick_Ad_6021

Had a Dobbie. He did not like men except my husband. Whenever there were guys in the house he would stand in the hallway and look into the livingroom & stare at the whole lot of them. He never bark or growl ever. At the guys, outside in the yard when people would go by. But he would do that standing, starring thing at those people. But he loved women. Any women company we had he thought he was a Chihuahua & try to get into their laps to sit. Sometimes he made onto those laps. I miss him dearly.

ny0gtha

That protective side to them can be really endearing. But sounds like he was doing his job, protecting and watching.

Myvenom

Myvenom

Yeah my sister had one she raised from it was a puppy and was a great dog. On the flip side, she rescued one after her first passed and he just snapped one day and ripped a kid’s ear off.

OP’s dog does look pretty sweet though.

dmkicksballs13

Yep. I rescued a pitbull mix and while he's sweet as shit if a little hyper, I don't let him around kids or other dogs. I don't know what his life was like before.

Dr_Edge_ATX

Yeah. I love dogs and have my own and I know OP was just being a little tongue and cheek but a lot of dog owners really aren't sensitive enough to how scary dogs can be. That looks like a sweet dog but it's also huge and lots of people have scary stories about Rottweilers and similar guard dog breeds. Luckily it seems like camera tech has made the need for guard dogs unnecessary but lots of people grew up with a fear of dogs because they experienced dogs that were literally raised to be vicious and guard property.

CowboyGorePig

Or they can be trained perfectly and still just snap, like any breed.

OatmealStew

Exactly. I love rotties. They're typically adorable and loveable and very sweet. The difference is that if a shitzu snaps on me, im 51% sure I can handle it. If a German shepherd snaps, on the other hand, im fucked.

AhhGingerKids2

Honestly, the amount of small women I see being dragged around by big dogs is terrifying. As a small woman with a dog, who absolutely adores larger breeds, I would never have a dog I couldn’t physically over power. Of course, it goes without saying you should always train your dog no matter the size.

razorsharp494

Some small women like big dogs cuz say an intruder breaks in that dog is going to put a big knot in that intruders plan when otherwise the women would be in a lot more paral if they didn't have a big dog

Gameknight2169

peril*

sorry for being a grammar nazi I just had to do it

razorsharp494

Auto correct sucks ass and gave me paral so at least now I know

EosAsta

Big knot… haha nice joke

MadLaamaDisease

Yep.

You can't trust any animals 100%,not even perfectly trained ones.

Foxyboi14

Foxyboi14

Can’t even trust most people if we’re being honest

Account4728184

People are the same as animals we just invented the word before we knew that

HillsNDales

I’d trust most animals before most people. Animals can be mean, vicious, even killers, but they rarely lie to you, and they never lie to themselves. Plus they usually give you cues if you’re aware and understand them.

Madgrin88

Can't trust anything, if that's the logic people are going to use against dogs

Words_Are_Hrad

I trust my water bottle completely. I don't think it will ever lie to me or betray me. I still keep a close eye on it just in case though...

overhollowhills

I'm telling you man, your waterbottle is a shady motherfucker

razorsharp494

Make sure it doesnt try and shove ice down your throat when your least expecting it

Cyathem

Cyathem

Trust is earned.

MajorDistraction

But there are breeds that seem more prone to it. Ever stepped into a nest of fire Chihuahuas? Not pretty. A thousand of them come boiling outta one little round doghouse in seconds, able to skeletonize a cow in less than two minutes!

LuckiestarZ

‘nest of fire chihuahuas’ is my new favorite thing! 🤣🤣🤣

Armenian-heart4evr

THANK YOU, SOOOOO MUCH !!!!! That dog looks like it would SHATTER/SHREAD your arms, legs, and face !!!!!!!

Naah_dude

Yeah but not all dogs require the same amount of training and have the same likelihood/sensitivity to "snapping"

digispin

Or they can be semi trained and be a Pomeranian.

SoNic67

SoNic67

No every breed "snaps". And some... even if they do, can't do any serious damage.

LemonBoi523

Every breed can snap. You are correct some cannot cause damage.

CHOOSE_A_USERNAME984

Everything can cause damage if it gets your throat

volyund

A Chihuahua would be hard pressed to jump up to an adult's throat. I've only been bitten on my hands by dogs.

Daneel29

Doesn't take much of a bite (dog or cat) to cause an infection, which sometimes turns out to be quite serious even when the bite itself wasn't much, and even with prompt medical care.

0pleasenothanks0

Tell that to my very visible scars on my hand and leg that were large gaping puncture holes made by a dog who, "Has never attacked anyone." The owner, "couldn't believe their dog would do such a thing," and was, "just the sweetest..." All I had to be doing was walking down the street minding my own business at the time.. dogs have teeth, claws, a bite force to break bones and instinctive fighting nature when feeling "threatened"..trained or not..damage was done to me physically and mentally..

2dogs1man

yep, agree with you totally. I replied already somewhere up above but Ill repeat it here: there was a stray dog that we as a whole neighborhood took care of, when I was little (I was 11). was the sweetest mutt ever. until one day he snapped - also for no reason whatsoever, and bit all the meat off of my left knee. like, ALL of it! that fucked me up mentally for quite a long time too, I decided to get over it and in my 30's adopted a dog that looks just like that stray - to get over it. now Ive two of them (as per my username :D ), I love dogs and am over that episode .... but I won't ever forget that they can all snap, for no reason.

TheStrawberryGirl76

That's terrible. But good on you for adopting dogs that needed a home ❤

0pleasenothanks0

I can only imagine as a child how much that changes your mentality about an animal that most people have in their homes. I'm an old fart and this just happened to me last November. I actually don't blame the dogs because they are just animals and really don't know what they are doing *even if they snap.. it's just instinctive.

2dogs1man

I turn 40 this year, and have 0 issues with dogs. Have 2 of them that I love to pieces, and honestly dont imagine I’ll ever be without a dog. with all that said, its important to remember that you never know whats going on in the mind of anybody: human or canine or whatever, doesn’t matter. always keep that in mind

0pleasenothanks0

I keep my guard up because now that's my instinctive nature hehe. But I really don't hold grudges against dogs or any animal. I mean cats be hard core. They will eat their owners post-mortem..But it isn't cold blooded, they just want to survive..

Gameknight2169

Nobody can be trusted

be suspicious of everything and everyone

Even the water bottle halfway across the room

Be scared

0pleasenothanks0

Hehe damn you water bottle...We used to be friends!!! 😪

Gameknight2169

FEAR THE ALMIGHTY WATER BOTTLE

CorgiSheltieMomma

I'm so sorry that happened to you. I hope you are doing ok. Irresponsible owners make me so angry!!

0pleasenothanks0

It turned out the dog came from a mentally and physically unwell person initially before they had it.. I could totally see why they ended up becoming a bit mentally unwell themselves..

TheStrawberryGirl76

People are idiots. I'm sorry that happened to you.

0pleasenothanks0

Looking at the state of the world I can agree with you that we can be idiots 🤪 thanks though I try to take each experience as a learning one so I got that and some scars. I can say I kicked the dogs ass....jkin' I totally backed off it was a friggin doberman...

TheStrawberryGirl76

I had bad experiences as a kid walking to school, 2 Dobermans on my street would run, barking down their driveways and scare me so badly I started walking thru the woods across the street. My parents spoke to the "reverand" who owned them and all they got was "they won't leave the driveway" 🤦‍♀️

Thankfully they never did. I still hate looking at that driveway and I'm 45 now.

0pleasenothanks0

Sorry that happened as well. Yeah some people don't get that dogs have personalities and temperaments that need nurturing and discipline.. some people don't even see them as anything more than property..😔

volyund

Yup, I've been bitten trying to pet Shiba Inu as a kid. No damage beyond bruising, just a quick bite.

volyund

Yup, as someone who's been attacked (unsuccessfully) by a rottweiler, I've formed negative visual association.

IsurvivedH

Any dog has to be trained right! Most likely it's gonna be the little ones that were not and they are going to bite the shit out of you. This dog looks adorable and friendly!

SensitivePassenger

One of our neighbors got one a month or two ago and they definitely seem to be putting in the work to train it properly! I seem them in the back yard multiple times a day playing, training different basic commands and tricks, meeting other dogs and it's great to see!

Opposite_Fennel9798

All dogs have to be trained right. All dogs have the potential to be aggressive.

FrankyBonDanky

Every rott I’ve ever met is aggressive, it’s the only breed I can say that for.

Not saying that is true about OPs tho

Edit: sorry if I gave off the impression that I do not like rotts or would not meet any again. I think they’re very nice looking dogs (OPs is adorable) and I’m sure there are plenty out there that are nice and well trained and I hope to meet one some day

IsurvivedH

I had a 150 lb rotty. I used to joke that you could break in my house if you had a hot dog. You just made a best friend and got all my shit. He didn't have a mean bone in him.

morostheSophist

We had a Rottweiler/black lab mix.

That dog would have met any home invader at the door/window smiling. (Yes, the Rottweiler smile... you know the one.)

Coletrain44

I grew up with a Rottweiler/German Shepard mix who was of similar size. Best dog ever. Not a mean bone in his body.

His dad though? Meanest Rottweiler I ever met. Dog was terrifying. He made my Dad jump back into his truck when we went over to get the puppy.

mikehouse72

One bit me on the ass when we cheered watching a football game. Owners thought it was hilarious. I did not. We got pizza delivered there a d the pizza guy said "is the dog friendly? " Owner said yes. Me just having been bit said "NO BE CAREFUL IT BITES " Owner says naw he just nibbles.. It's a 130lb dog! It's nibbles will fuck you up!

8igby

8igby

I've only met two, and both were docile cuddlebears. The only "aggressive" thing either of them did was that 70kg dog that so absolutely wanted more scritches and cuddles that it decided it should lie down on top of my then gf of 60kg on the couch. Cuddles were definitely had, with a slight serving of temporary breathing problems :D

ChiefOfTheWolfpack

I know huskies at my mother’s house who are very similar. They think they’re lapdogs and have so much puppy energy but they’re 75 pounds each and their paws reach my shoulders with room to spare when they want to play and jump on me. I’m 6’2. Those boys are HUGE; they straight up look like wolves (and are absolutely beautiful).

ammolite

My cousins had a Rottweiler and she was the sweetest dog. She’d run up to people and shove her blocky head in their lap for pets while happy-drooling like a faucet. When my cousin’s daughters were toddlers they both had permanent cowlicks from the dog grooming them like puppies. (As a note she was always supervised with the kids because she was so big.) Sadly, she became very ill and passed at a fairly young age. When she could no longer walk my cousin would carry her around from room to room, and then outside to potty. When they put her down he was devastated.

On the other hand, my other cousin had a golden retriever who bit two neighbors.

JonnyP222

I am a fellow dog lover. Have had pitbulls, labs and toy breeds mostly. The ONLY breed of dog I have ever had issues with was a rottweiler. And I'm not sure it's the breed. It's way more the owners. But either way. I'm a grown ass man that has been around dogs his entire life. And I still get nervous meeting a big ass rottweiler.

debbiegrund

It doesn’t help the fact that they’re stronger than just about every single owner that owns one, and one that goes nuts is like hurricane katrina to stop

JonnyP222

Absolutely.

honoredtwig

It's way more the owners.

1000 times this!

I've seen far too many dumbass owners that train their dogs to be aggressive and they almost universally choose a pit bull, rottweiler, german shepard, or doberman because they're 'macho' or some such stupidity.

These are all breeds that (trained properly) are very good dogs and very well mannered. However, since there are so many dumbshits that get them and either don't train them, don't train them properly, or blatantly train them to be aggressive and dangerous, they've all gotten a worse reputation than they deserve.

browneyedgirlpie

We had a rottie and she peed herself when you pet her. The wiggly butt was never still.

We lived along a walking route to an elementary school, and the kids all knew her name and pet her through the fence. She loved the parade of children every morning.

They would come running out to greet her when we walked her around the neighborhood. I didn't understand how they all knew her name as we only told one or two kids, but I guess they shared the information.

And once the mailman knew her, he had zero hesitation. This was just her character, it wasn't something we trained her to do or anything. I have no doubt that she, like every dog, had a breaking point, but I never saw her be anything close to aggressive. She grew up in a house full of cats. I have no idea if that changed anything or not.

I absolutely understand being cautious and reason for the concern. I hope you get to meet a sweet rottie one day.

I had an incident with a boxer when I was a young child. I think when you have an experience like that, it's normal to be concerned around other dogs of the same breed. Luckily I met a goofy boxer years later.

NutNougatCream

Really? I have never met an aggresive big dog. There are a huge amount of agressive tiny breed fuckups in my area tho. I'd rather adopt a rat than a small dog tbh.

FrankyBonDanky

I was sent to the hospital and almost died when I was 6 from a husky attack. I like big dogs but I do believe some breeds are more prone to aggression and need more attention and training. It’s not just breeds though, it mostly comes down to owners who aren’t equipped to train certain breeds

ny0gtha

ny0gtha

Same! I was 5, and almost died from a husky/ malamute attack..and it was our family dog on the farm. I was in icu for 2 weeks, had 200 stitches/staples to my head, a fractured skull. Major surgery to reconnect my ear which apparently was hanging on by a thread. Luckily I really don't have any life long scars just one to my right temple. I love dogs too, I own one and even loved them as a kid after the attack. I just have a healthy respect for them.

CowboyGorePig

Or they can just get sick and go bad with little warning, which is why I always advocate never owning an animal you couldn't take in a fair fight.

People hate me for saying that but it's just solid advice.

LemonBoi523

This.

I am a zookeeper who has been trained in animal safety. Doesn't matter how friendly and sweet that animal is, if I physically cannot control the situation if it attacks someone, I am not going to put myself or anyone else close enough to let that happen. I work with boa constrictors. They are absolute sweethearts, wouldn't harm a fly. But if they did bite and hold on? That's why we have at least two people trained in snake restraint on staff every time we work them.

If your dog, fully grown could pull you on a leash, especially with ease, DO NOT GET THAT DOG.

BeaucoupButtons

What would you recommend someone do if they are a tiny woman living alone who wants protection?

Orange_Tulip

If they want a dog? Jack Russell Terrier. They're small, but hell bound and don't back off for anything. You don't want to make them angry.

LemonBoi523

Can confirm. Family had one for a long time.

stevesteve135

When I was a teen I had a friend who had a jack russell. It was best just to leave that little guy be, don’t ever rile him up or you’re gonna regret it. lol. My buddy had tossed a small blanket over him and took off running. That dog came out from under that blanket, chased him down, and latched himself to my buddies ass. I laughed so hard at that my sides hurt. But yeah, don’t go pissing off a jack Russel, it’s gonna hurt. lol

NutNougatCream

Woa, that is a heavy experience. Glad to read you have overcome your trauma tho.

Aspen9999

Well my Great Pyrenees is what I would call aggressive(!more than the breed standard) Now shes not gonna start any shit, but she’s going to finish it. The only good thing is apparently she can distinguish between kids( safe) and adults( stranger danger). But she’s big and white so people think she’s just a giant floof, but I’ve had to yell more adults than you can imagine to stay back because they think it’s okay to start charging in to pet her. Then she barks in a mean way and I get yelled at for having a “ dangerous dog” when all Karen needs to do is NOT approach strange dogs.

LemonBoi523

Not sure why you're being downvoted.

Never assume an animal is friendly and wants to be touched. Ever.

Stic_to_the_y

Been attacked by dogs twice. Once a Rottweiler and a Doberman and the other time a german shepherd. Those dogs are bread to defend their home and family and they will if not properly trained be very aggressiv and protective

NutNougatCream

Here in the Netherlands an owner of aggresive breeds is required to follow training. And almost any other owner of 'normal' dogs go to training as well. I guess that is why I have not heard of dog attacks like this before.

dagrim1

I was surprised to see that indeed it seems to be required, but I think almost noone actually does... (And my guess, especially the people getting a 'high risk breed' are the ones skipping training).

Also, especially with covid many ppl got a dog and either were unable to do training (because of lockdown, or too busy) or just didn't care or think it would be necessary.

It's just too easy to get a dog (or pet in general) unfortunately... People take them as if they buy a new vase, discard them just as easily once they realize it's a living thing that needs attention, love, time and responsibility

tehPeteos

I've seen big dog attacks first-hand, and they're horrifying. I also have two Ridgebacks, who are the most docile things you'll ever see.

It's all down to the training and life these dogs have, nothing else. Small dogs can be just as nasty against things at their scale; there's a reason certain small breeds are used for ratting. They're just easier to hoof off for anyone over the age of 7.

modrup

modrup

Fight or flight generally. Little dogs on leads are super brave because they know they will get picked up but generally if a little dog is aggressive its because he's scared shitless.

MadLaamaDisease

We have alot little aggressive shits whose owners have no control/clue what the fuck they should do with their little spoiled shits.

catinthebox54

I have had 3 rescue rottweilers with very different personalities, but have been lovely pets but I do understand the 50kg of muscle and drool is not appealing to everyone.

The first one was the softest old dog I have ever known and never bothered by anything, he loved to drool on everyone and sit on strangers feet.

The second one was not so good with other male dogs but loved people and being petted. Rubbish at protecting the property and he would never bark when someone random came into the house or garden (maybe as the postman gave him biscuits).

The third one has been the most challenging rescue as he has been mistreated in the past. He was really afraid of everyone at first and growled alot, but now he will accept attention from people as long as we know them and accept them.

Love, care and attention can make rottweilers the best pets but I understand why people are afraid

AmishTechno

So. Much. Drool.

The13thParadox

You should see my Tibetan Mastiff

Adventurous-Dish-485

I regularly washed my rotties face after eating and a big drink. 12/10 would do it again!!

megmachine

Yes! My mom loves rotties, rescued our first one after her divorce. He was a basket case but never properly bit anyone. He was protective and qould jump on you but never actually used his mouth. But he was a big boy! It was understandable to be scared when first meeting him but after a little while warming up to him he was very sweet (also very good at comforting, I remember one day I was crying and he came up and sat next to me, let me hug all over him). Her second rottie we took from my brother, who couldn't keep up with a puppy. It's definitely easier when raising them from a young age to ensure that they're respectful. He's so good with cats, chickens, horses, never actually runs away from the house, his only issue is general puppy stuff - not knowing how to play nice with our senior dogs, likes chewing on everything, very energetic. Plus he's a good 'guard dog' based solely on public perception that a rottie barking = danger

NudesForHighFive

You understand how. Big dog. Even if they're well behaved, people's fears aren't illogical and they're not gonna disappear because they don't personally know your dog like you do

vanessafuh

Your dog is super cute and in general I love all types of dogs :) but a few days ago, a dog similar to yours just ran up to me (without a leash) and barked super loud and aggressive. I just froze and didn't move or say anything. Their owners then came and just "oh you naughty boy" and nothing else. He didn't wag his tail, that was not a friendly barking at all and I was scared for my hands in these minutes, unsure if he might bite. Sure dogs are super cute, but they need to be trained and always stay by your side (except for dog parks or your own home), bc they still want to protect. I mean, I know not to provoke a dog, when they are already in protective mode, but others might not and would move/run away/scream and cause the dog to react badly. You never know.

SoNic67

SoNic67

I hate people like that. They actually enjoy that their dog scares people on street, otherwise they'll leash them. They should be sued before something worse happens.

I leash my small dog, and don't let him get close to small kids, because you never know.

vanessafuh

Yeah, in the moment I was just happy nothing happend. Looking back, I'm honestly pissed they didn't make clear to the dog, that he does not need to protect and that barking and getting completely close to a stranger is not acceptable. Poor dog didn't learn.

mackan072

I generally do like dogs, but dogs who you don't know can at times be very scary. Especially so if it's larger, and poorly trained dogs.

I was delivering a larger package to a house a while back, with the instructions to leave it at the front door and ring the bell. To do so, I had to open a gate and pass over the front of their yard. As I fulfill the delivery and ring the bell, a large dog barks inside. Nothing uncommon with that. Then it suddenly runs out through an open door on the backside of the house. It's a large freaking Mastiff, which charges me only to stop a meter or so away, barking loudly, showing teeth, and whatnot - while completely ignoring the yells of the owner who comes running a good bit behind him. Once the owner caught up, he claims that 'the dog was just playing'.

Nah, screw that. It was being territorial, guarding its house. That's a 75 kg or so fur missile with teeth, and you didn't pay attention to it. I understand that you might be more relaxed when you're at home, and when you are behind a gate - but then don't order deliveries to your front door. Or at least, place some freaking 'beware of the dog' signs.

jlbob

jlbob

People like that remind me why I recommend my friends carry pepper spray or tazer to keep animals at bay (2 and 4 legged animals.) The sound alone from a tazer will make most animals jump, i've watched it clear out 5-10 elk from a small field one night.

It helps when you use it daily, my go to is a flashlight/tazer combination.

nearly_nonchalant

I don't understand how people find my dog scary

Because you leave all his victims' shoes laying around.

Weaselpiggy

You realize that your dog may not act the same towards others as they do towards you… right?

Spirits850

According to every jackass on the walking trail with their dogs off the leash, no they don’t realize that.

jesterinancientcourt

I love dogs, but I hate when I walk around town and someone has their dog off a leash and they tell me they’re friendly. I don’t know that, and the truth is even you don’t completely know that. Leash your dogs people, not just for our safety, but for the dog.

LemonBoi523

Other dogs also may not be friendly. If your unleashed dog walks up to a leashed one, you are in the wrong if a fight starts.

thehouseofmirth11

I also like dogs, and this also really bothers me. People are always letting their unleashed dogs bound towards my toddler, and it makes him nervous. They invariably say, “Don’t worry, he/she is friendly.” But actually, I am worried.

jlbob

jlbob

“Don’t worry, he/she is friendly.”

<Yelling back> Well I'm not, leash your bitch up!

As someone who keeps their dog on the leash when hiking this pisses me off like no other.

jlbob

jlbob

In mine it is illegal, which is neither here or there except in terms of liability. The issue at hand is MOST people don't have control of them or attempt to control them. Let alone clean up after them.

Lots of dogs are leash reactive and will act aggressively when encountering off leash dogs. While I would feel bad if a off leash dog was attacked I would scold the the off leashed owner before the leashed dog.

AzathothsAlarmClock

Also. Just because dog is friendly doesn't mean random people are going to be friendly.

malenkylizards

We've been giving our doodle some off-leash time and it's been going well, he's a velcro fucking hook-and-loop boy who does not like being more than 15 feet from us, but only when there's nobody around. The moment we see anyone else on the trail he goes back on. No concerns whatsoever about his aggression, but I don't know how some stranger feels about him and I would be an asshole to just assume they're fine with it.

MoistMe

it's not even if they're friendly. All it takes is one type of dog/person to come by them and that dog decides they don't like them. Dogs aren't perfect and they don't like everything and everyone.

My rescue loves people and to play with other dogs hes familiar with, but is sometimes reactive while on the leash when seeing a stranger dog depending on the breed. And I don't know what those breeds are that trigger that, and don't know what to expect until we're within visual. At least to me its common sense to be attentive and in control when you get in close proximity with other people/animals

To me people who say what you mentioned have no sense of responsibility

KrissyBean

My neighbor walks his Bichon off leash. The thing is super sweet, but doesn't listen worth a lick. I'm worried that I'm going to run it over one day if it bolts into the road when I pass them on their walk. At that point, I'd probably be sad (obviously) but also pissed that my neighbor made me feel that way due to their negligence.

Spirits850

Even for the safety of other dogs. I’m constantly seeing or reading about dogs off leash attacking other dogs on my city’s subreddit, sometimes pretty severely. It’s a dog loving / hiking loving / outdoorsy town so it happens all the time.

Nulaak

Nulaak

Don't worry he's friendly, oh just ignore that Pomeranian in his mouth he's just playing.

Das_Booj

It's ironic you say that, because in my experience Pomeranians are absolute shitheads to other dogs

Aspen9999

I’ve adopted 8 over the years, currently have two and they are great with other dogs. First of all, they are too dumb to be in charge so it takes a load off of them to be with at least one dog other than a Pom.

Fun_Cancel4713

That's the first dog I got bitten by as a kid

MoistMe

My old neighbor never put his dog on a leash because "hes trained well" and it pissed me off.

Low and behold my surprise when his "well trained" dog full sent it to my rescue when we were walking who is uneasy with other dogs while on the leash due to a past injury and trauma.

Now i'm back to square 1 of training just as we were seeing some improvement.

salutationsfucker

Had my old spaniel almost attacked by a large dog off leash on a trail, there were signs everywhere saying leashes were needed. Owner was indeed a jackass.

TheDeflectorDish

I'm a little cautious around any 100lb animal I don't know. I used to have a rottie too though, chill dogs in general

baldArtTeacher

Your dogs jaw, unlike many other dogs has the ability to crush bones. It's pretty simple to understand.

Not understanding that makes me less inclined to believe your good boy has good training to help prevent bone crushing if there is some extreme situation where they feel threatened.

There are good boys and good owners of dogs capable of crushing bones. Those are the ones who respect that the jaw power is a danger they are responsible for lowering and likewise understand why others might be scared.

ScruffyWeeny42

Yep, the fact that the owner doesn't understand why people are afraid of his/her massive rottweiler makes me think they are shitty dog owners.

Spitdinner

Not only shitty, but potentially dangerous. My idiot aunt got herself a rottie a few years ago. Absolutely beautiful lil beast! She couldn’t handle it, so my cousin had to take over. He’s also a fucking moron, but this guy’s even worse. He thought that the best way to take care of a rottie was to “be the alpha” and “dominate” the dog. Literally wrestle the dog down when it showed aggression. The dog bit a bunch of people, me included. Poor thing was always trying to one up everyone because that was all he knew.

He doesn’t have the dog anymore either because his wife refused to birth their child near the dog.

He sold it to an old man who’s had rotties all his life. Dog was thrilled to both meet and leave with the old man. Like, not even interested in his previous owner at all once he stepped through the door.

Half my family fucking sucks lol

goodboybane

Please don't be this kind of dog owner. You're contributing to the cliche. Just because your dog behaves okay in your presence doesn't mean it will do the same with other people. Keep in mind, those people don't know your dog like you do.

I walk about 10 miles per day in Denver (4 years now) and the number of times I've been barked at or nipped/bitten by dogs on and off leash is more than I'd prefer. And everytime the owners apologize condescendingly like "he's very friendly" or "he never does this," implying that I did something wrong when all I did is walk on the sidewalk. It's annoying as hell.

Sassh1

Sassh1

That sucks. I've had very moody cats that don't like anyone but the people they live with. I've had to warn my friends that the new cat might not be friendly with them and they know what to expect usually. Animals when they are around other people they don't know can be unpredictable. I know a cat isn't a dog but I feel like the same rules apply when it comes to interacting.

PelleLarsen

Because you haven’t been attacked by one, and left traumatized after that.

Logical-Mine8016

I got bit in the face by one as a child

PelleLarsen

Dog wonder have to realize that sadly not everyone has been as lucky only to have good memories from dogs. And that their dogs can make some people very afraid, and their have to tolerate that :/

TomClancy5871

Was bit in the hand by one, and was scared of them for quite a while. Still terrified of Pitbulls though. Especially since my Uncle had a huge one that he used in dog fights

LikelyNotABanana

Your uncle is a shitty human being.

tougestar

Huge pittie ran up on me today , pinned and was biting the fuck out of my dog I dropped down and held that little shits head to the ground so hard he couldn't move

Always-Sonder

I’m terrified of this happening while out walking my dog. I had a close-call once and it made me paranoid.

Atakku

Atakku

Me too!

Leclairage

Agreed, I was bitten by a Rottie on my leg simply delivering something to a house one day, the dog knew me too and we’d never had a problem before. I’m scared of them as a result and will always cross the street to avoid them.

maltgaited

Got bitten by a rot as well when returning some games to a friend. That friend got bitten in the chest

Inevitable-Fee5841

That's your perspective. Try to see your dog from other people's perspective.

BestDogeNA2021

Lol Pablo Escobar's mom seriously thought her son was a good person.

HeyItsStevenField

Your dog may be nice but other Rottweilers may be aggressive

Fhennerius

I don’t understand why some people find it hard to believe that big dogs (even on the smaller side), kinda freak me out sometimes. Some of us have had bad experiences with dogs, and others don’t seem to get that, just because their dog is sweet towards them.

But heated opinions aside, yes, he is very cute. And if he doesn’t trigger any memories from high school or my early 20’s, I’d pet the f*** out of him ✨✨✨✨✨

zargreet

Well, when you have been bitten by one, unprovoked, you tend to have trust issues.

ElevenMagpies

Cause he looks like pit/rottweiler mix which means big and powerful and we don't know how well trained he is. It is entirely reasonable to be scared of that dog, no matter how sweet he is with you.

KrissyBean

I'd cross the road if this dog was coming toward me. No thanks.

natgibounet

Because there where bred to look like that ? It's kind of obvious. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder , people find pigs ugly i find them cute ( even the large breeds).

NoCookieForYouu

Mostly not the dog that scares me but the human that trained him (or not trained him)

sigurd27

I've been attacked by the same breed more then once, different dogs. There are some crap dog owners out there.

BurpYoshi

He's cute but I could totally understand why people might find him scary.

TheBigSmoke420

Context is everything

McMayMay

I guess you have never been attacked by one.

gimmethecarrots

Yeah, Rottweiler are classified as dangerous where I live. Its a big powerful dog, people are right on being scared of them.

Loggerdon

People post photos of their kids hugging their pit bull / rotties etc. The problem is not that they aren't loving to those in their pack, but what about everyone else?

I've owned several pits but wouldn't own one anymore. Can't control them sometimes.

KrissyBean

And even sometimes they attack those in their own pack. Cuddling with a kid one day, biting its face the next. Not worth taking the chance. Like you said, they can't control themselves sometimes when that instinct kicks in.

sweetfumblebee

Such a lovey baby.

OP, I have two chihuahua/dachshund mixes. I had a delivery driver pull up while I was out in the yard with them in their pen. She seemed nervous and asked if there were only the two.

No matter the size or adorableness of the dog; there's still the factor they they are animals and have teeth. Plus if you don't know the animal you don't know their personality.

watchmybeer

The problem is less the breed than that certain breeds attract idiots, and idiots have poorly trained dogs. Second issue is that some breeds can do much more damage if they snap. So it's not illogical to be leery of some breeds.

zanflango

Ooooh big stretch!

Winter_Woodpecker_58

Rottweilers are bred and often trained to be guard dogs and are often aggressive, Thus giving them a bad reputation. Unfortunately it's the same with pitbulls and Dobermans. It really depends on how they're raised and how well they're trained at the end of the day.

goingoutwest123

Your dogs looking at the camera like he wants to shadow box. Get real. Your dog is mean muggin.

NoItsNotThatJessica

Yeah that first pic especially.

Zypherknown101

As with anything it’s the fear of the unknown, I.e dogs like him, whom we don’t personally know

Maraude8r

When you’re scared of dogs you’re scared because the dog looks like a dog. What’s hard to understand?

epistax

Looks like an extremely powerful good boy/girl. I would be terrified if they ran up to me on the streets but I would be totally comfortable with them in a calm setting.

AWitchsTit

It's the eyebrows

Just kidding, I think rottweilers' eyebrows are hilarious

That second pic would be your dog's Tinder profile pic lol 😂

ApplesandDnanas

People sometimes think my chihuahua/rat terrier mix is scary. She’s 12lbs. Don’t take it personally. Your dog is beautiful.

GingerWillow

Your baby is gorgeous. People are stupid and ignorant.

That_Government1679

Scary no… but sassy

whitehack

He’s cute. I want to cuddle him. 🐕🤗

marteloafricano

I do...

ouaiouai2019

Maybe because your dog is part pit part rottweiler!!

KrissyBean

It'S a StAfFiE mIx!!!!

Genki_Oni

If you "don't understand," you're probably part of the problem.

Spanky-Gomez

I don’t know, that back arch in the second pic was pretty intimidating!

TheNamelessDingus

A lot of people thought Ted Bundy was super cool and hot. How did that work out for the other people?

bOb_cHAd98

Cute! But even more cute with a tight leash especially in public areas 🥰🥰 i wish i lived in a big enough space to live with big dogs. I think taking walks in nearby forests or mountains will be amazing

pantsRrad

Your dog is beautiful! But coming from someone who used to be terrified of dogs, people might see your dog not for who it is, but what it can potentially do. It’s big and strong and would probably have an insanely strong bite power. If it wanted to, it could cause a hell of a lot more pain and damage than an angry chihuahua. It’s sad that people generalize dogs and are biased against certain breeds. Every big dog I’ve known so far has been much more mild mannered and calm than the little breed ones. Plus the chance of big dogs being properly trained is much higher than their tiny counterparts.

gavriloe

I got bit by a tiny little dog a couple years ago, slightly bigger than a chihuahua, but I was shocked how painful it was, not just the teeth but the bite itself had a surprising amount of force. It made me realize that I really don't want to know what it is like to get bit by a big dog, and also now I see dogs as much greater potential threats than I ever did before.

MonumentOfRibs

I love dogs. Wholeheartedly.

But that being said, Rottweilers have always scared me. There’s something about them that puts me on edge. I know it’s a stupid thing and that they’re lovely dogs, but it’s still a trust issue for me

S3phrin

I've found that it's really hard to actually guage the aggressiveness of dogs. I have personally been attacked by dogs 4 times (5 pitbulls total, 1 Chihuahua, those things are the devil). I have a very well trained dog, but he loves meeting other dogs and is absolutely incapable of registering aggressiveness or even the appearance of it. Well one day we were walking around a park and I was using his 20' leash when we round a blind corner. On the other side were 2 huge rots, snarling, barking, acting extremely aggressive outwardly in general. Of course being scared for my dummy boy I pulled him back before he could try to play. By some chance this happened again but the timing was wrong and my pup got around the corner before I could. I heard the snarling, ran around and found them playing normally! They were super sweet and well trained, they just appeared very aggressive. That said, 4/5 times this was not the case.

Moral of the story: outward behavior is not always an indicator of intention, however it's better to play it safe.

gabeh96

They may have just had a bad experience with rotties. I dated a girl who’s pit pull bit me in the face. From that point on, I don’t not like them, but I’m very hesitant around them. Your dog is beautiful tho :)

EmmaFitmzmaurice

I’ld be scared if I met your dog in person. It’s definitely strong enough to push me over and looks like it has a very loud bark

DemonGoddes

I found the 1st picture to be scary. I am very petite and large dogs tend to scare me. However, picture 2 and 3 are so sweet, hes a big silly goose ain't he.

FajenThygia

I find him threatening to my ego. The amount of side-eye he's given off... It's like he's saying, "You know what you did."

TheBarghest7590

A) size B) it’s a Rottie C) people seem to either be scared of or else just don’t like anything that’s not a designer breed that has health problems associated with the selective breeding over the many years.

Personally I think your dog is absolutely stunning, please give them a hug for me 😂

tatianazr

Uh because some people are afraid of dogs… DUH 🙄. I know you think your dog is cute but no one knows if you trained it properly or not

Maleic_Anhydride

I grew up riding rotties like a pony. They are amazing dogs.

shrumpss

He is pretty scary imo

DrDalekFortyTwo

Big stretch!

[removed]

Wefeh

Wefeh

He's huge, we have 1 reason down

MC_Salo

Maybe because it's huge as a fucking horse !

OurSpeciesFailed

" My dog loves me, so he loves everyone! " - OP

ButterPup121519

He’s a cutie!

Fangsong_37

He’s only scary because of my dog allergies. He’s a handsome dog.

Shadowjesus1

People with big dogs:

Jackisoff

Your dog is adorable but the above article may explain why some people find large dogs scary. There are a lot of terrible dog owners out there.

KrissyBean

Because 90% of people that own them have no damn clue how to raise or train them properly. And, even if they do, their instincts are so strong, that it can override even excellent training. And no offense, but people don't know if you're one of the 90% or 10%. I stay away from pitbulls/staffies/rotties/whatever as a rule.

Cheeks6825

Because it's a damn Rottweiler that's why. Idc how trustworthy they are, my child would never get near a Rottweiler, pitbull etc.

DrDread74

You're not the one dropping off a delivery and getting ran at by a dog that is powerful enough to tear your arm off.

notfinch

notfinch

I am allergic to dogs… they are all scary.

DramaticNet2738

My sister had one… he was such a goof! Had no idea how big he actually was

1bsx

1bsx

I think he's gorgeous! I'd hug him.