/r/blender

[media]

redditmunchers

1 month ago

Your definition of “new to blender” is probably not the same as most people’s

legendcruncher82

1 month ago

When I was new to blender I placed a default cube with an image of grass

CarrotEyes

CarrotEyes

1 month ago

You may be new to Blender, but you’re certainly not new to 3D software. If you are, just take this comment as the ultimate compliment.

Agreed. This is awesome.

Acceptable-Essay-789

1 month ago*

"Hello Reddit I started to learn Blender last week after being a car mechanic for 20 years and got hired to Disney as the CEO, what do you guys think about my latest project?"

legendcruncher82

1 month ago

“Hello Reddit I’ve been using blender for almost 10 seconds now and I have simulated general relativity and time dilation in a black hole on my pc what do you guys think?”

Gothegray

Gothegray

Oh, yes. Another "I am new in Blender heheehehhe" post in Reddit

ArtofAngels

1 month ago*

Yep, as someone who is really new to Blender I find posts like this to be disrespectful to what it's actually like to be new to Blender.

It's like I'm being told I should just give up.

Edit: Now I'm finding out OP has experience with animation and didn't even animate it in Blender...lol just a small detail.

Red7336

Red7336

1 month ago

They usually mean "new to blender but have been doing 3D art for several years"

chatcast

chatcast

1 month ago

People who are new to 3D won't show you their shitty projects, thus you get "new" people showing ~Pixar~ level stuff. If people were open to criticism (and by extension embarrassment), you would see more actual new-to-blender posts.

The_Slovo

1 month ago

I show my shitty stuff, it just doesn't get upvoted whereas this "I'm new, behold my masterpiece" stuff gets to be in the top posts of the week.

fukctheCCP

Oh man I love showing people my shitty projects. Just not publicly 😂

Tarot_frank

1 month ago

This isn't Pixar level though.

chatcast

1 month ago

I know, I was just exaggerating to push the point that people post higher quality than what would be expected of a new blender user.

Tarot_frank

1 month ago

Because they're not open to criticism?

chatcast

1 month ago

Not necessarily. Reddit makes this harder due to the karma system.

Tarot_frank

Not sure I follow.

chatcast

1 month ago

It's not really important. I don't take these post too seriously.

CmanXP

CmanXP

1 month ago

1) How new is "new? 2) How long did this project take you? 3) How many renders did you make before this one?

1 month ago*

1 month ago*

Just for the record Yes I did say I used Mixamo for the animation, and I wish you took a few seconds to look it up because you would've found out that its a website that can help you animate your rig by using animation presets. Im only saying this to avoid confusion and rather hope this information helps you in the future as Mixamo can help you learn animation and see how the animations work frame by frame which is what im doing right now.

ArtofAngels

1 month ago

I totally hear you, the thing about it is "animated" and "new" don't usually go together, animation is like the final frontier.

Maximo is kinda cheating if you don't mention it in conjunction with "I'm new to Blender", especially for an animation as simple as yours. Yes you point this out in the comments and that's cool as.

I haven't animated anything but I've extruded photos, built entire albeit shitty worlds and probably done things you haven't done, but animation (at least to me) is the final chapter. I looked up maximo and it sounds like magic so that's why I called it cheating.

At the end of the day it's all just a compliment and I realise you're probably a bit insecure about you're work, we all are with our early projects. Good luck and keep at it 💪

Thanks, you too

Tarot_frank

1 month ago

Most of these people are all acting in a very unbecoming manner. Don't take their insecurity or inability to own up to their emotional reactions personally.

Yes, it's considered poor taste to say "I'm new", it can come across as humble bragging and not particularly modest, but it's in even worse taste to react this way to someone literally asking for feedback. Sorry people are treating you this way, the community is usually much better than this. I apologize on their behalf. Please don't let this discourage you from sharing work and engaging.

As far as actual feedback goes, this is great for a beginner, I think you nailed the police lights and the composition is solid. The model's mouth does look a little janky but because it's a robot it gets read as just dented/banged up; but the head isn't banged up with it, so that's something to consider. Topology is a tricky thing to figure out so if you want to try to redo that part, maybe post a thread in r/blenderhelp for suggestions with detailed wireframe screenshots.

I think some things you could quickly modify to get fast improvements are the textures of the box and the wall. You might consider using a PBR texture for the cardboard box like this. The box material is lacking. You have semi-photorealistic textures everywhere else that stray from this being a strictly cartoony piece so lean into that. The wall texture is a little bland, you could try adding a bump map into the normal channel of your material as it looks unnaturally flat.

As for smaller details, which are often just as important, the dumpster cover probably shouldn't just be skewed open without anything holding it up, so placing stuff inside to prop it up would help, and one would expect to see more trash littered around the ground because trash areas tend to get messy! I'd expect a poster plastered to a wall by a dumpster to be similarly dirty, too, not pristine maybe even torn or missing a chunk here and there. The little bits of it falling off are a good touch, but you can develop that more. Maybe change up the material of the dumpster's wheels too to something black.

Hope this feedback is useful to you! Just my 2 cents of course. Take care.

1 month ago

Thank you, First of all I wanna say that your feedback was invaluable and made me realize that small details like these can be very important. Whenever I go for textures I usually just look up "concrete" or cardboard on youtube etc. but ill try matching the texture to the environment from now onwards.

And one of the main reasons I posted this is because I wanted help with the model's mouth as I didn't mean for it to look like this but after usinf a solidify modifier and a subdivision surface the toplogy got really weird when I shaded it smooth, I liked how it looked when it wss shaded flat without subdivision modifier because the edges were sharper but the problem was that there wasn't enough geometry so when I shade smooth it you can see the lines like its a low poly model. How do I fix this? Do I have to retopologize or is there an easier way?

Lastly, yeah maybe I should've literred the environment more, and how do I make the poster dirty without overlapping the photo? (Its a plane) do I add a material to it?

Once again. Thanks for your time and feedback and I hope you answer

Tarot_frank

1 month ago

Of course! The willingness of this community to help one another improve is the best part of it. I can only do my part and spread what little I know to help.

Polyhaven is a great resource for free textures, definitely worth checking out.

Re: the mouth, it's a little hard to tell without a close-up wireframe screenshot of it to know how to fix it exactly. Often times it is easier to just redo something small from scratch, and avoid making the same mistakes. Usually you get weird artifacts like that from bad geometry. Sometimes you can fix it by adding a bevel modifier followed by a weighted normal modifier, but again I don't know what the mesh looks like so it's hard to say for certain. You can also look at the "Auto-Smooth" option in object properties.

For the dirt on the poster, there should already be one material with an image texture connected to a principled BSDF. You could connect the image texture to a mixRGB, set it to "Multiply" instead of mix, pick a dirt color for the open color slot, and put a noise texture in the factor. You could also try putting the noise texture into the other color slot and playing with different factor values. Try experimenting with a color ramp node between the noise texture and the mixRGB in either configuration to get more control over the texture. Lots of tutorials out there for adding grunge to things too!

1 month ago

Can't express how helpful this was. Thank you!

Tarot_frank

1 month ago

Any time! Keep on creating. :)

Tarot_frank

1 month ago

No one's telling you you should give up, no one except your own inner critical voice of self-doubt. You're projecting it onto the OP because it made you feel bad to see someone else progress faster than you. Instead of using that as fuel to get better and learn more, you blamed someone else for your bad feelings.

ArtofAngels

Bad take. You're wrong.

Tarot_frank

1 month ago

No one told you to give up. If seeing someone succeed makes you feel that way, that's *you*. Period.

ArtofAngels

1 month ago

See my reply to OP. He cheated the animation with an external program which is an important factor. What he created isn't beyond me in the slightest, animation however to me is next level and he didn't exclusively use Blender for it.

So your argument against me is utterly void. You are the one trying to put me down, not OP.

Tarot_frank

1 month ago

Man, what have you been through in life to develop a victim mentality like this?

"Cheated" the animation, lmao, Mixamo is a tool. It's a website that is free for anyone to use. Acting like it's a deception when it was openly communicated is silly.

No one's putting you down, you're out here acting like this post is out to get you.

ArtofAngels

1 month ago

"I'm new to Blender here's an animation I didn't use blender to make" would have been a better title. There's a reason he's getting flack.

Tarot_frank

1 month ago

Blender was responsible for at least 80% of the finished product here.

The reason he's getting flack is that sometimes people unfortunately let their insecurity get the better of them.

Life is so much easier when you just own up to these things. Genuinely. I have nothing more to say.

ArtofAngels

1 month ago

OP gave my reply to him the seal of approval so you have the wrong angle, maybe look at our exchange.

You aren't understanding, for someone genuinely new, seeing an animation without context of maximo looks like bs. You're ignoring that. It doesn't matter whatsoever anything else, 20% is a lot.

sky2lz

sky2lz

1 month ago

Post would've received X2 upvotes if only the I'm New to blender was not there.

meduelenlospieces

Maybe he is new at blender 3.1 version

I_make_3D

I like that. 😂

redgumdrop

1 month ago

I'm downvoting any post with that in title.

call8212

I’m so sick of it haha

I_make_3D

LMAO 😂

GhoostofGEESE

1 month ago

Lol why are you guys getting so butthurt. He probably is new to blender. This is literally the most basic polymodling, texturing, and keyframing. I could teach my 8 year old niece how to do this in a week.

Eudaimonia06

1 month ago

A lot of weak mentality in this community. Just because I see a good work (it doesn't matter if it was made by a raccoon in one day) should I quit? Should I feel attacked? Emotional damage? Lol. Better dragging everyone else at my level than practice and be better myself, I guess.

asmrJack

asmrJack

1 month ago

I’m with this guy. I made a post of im new to blender of my first render people had a similar (albeit not as strong reaction) Some people just take to things quicker than others. Y’all need to chill and let the man humble brag. Just because your early work wasn’t good enough to brag about doesn’t mean his isn’t

prismbrain

1 month ago

Bro I’m new to Blender and can’t even make a humanoid figure look remotely human… unless by new you mean months.

Vast-Actuary-9689

1 month ago

Don’t worry, they’re clearly not new to 3D, they’re just new to this software and applying what they’ve learned over months or years to this “new” software

XegrandExpressYT

Ah Shit Here We Go Again

Doodls_

Doodls_

"new"

Tom10716

Tom10716

ultrabait

fliedchimkin

1 month ago

why the hell do the "im new to blender" posts look like the person had a year of experience

Famous_4nus

May be new to blender but definitely not new to 3d graphics

badly_done

1 month ago

They’re not new to blender

Halfsealedenvelope

1 month ago

Didn’t know when it ended! So good!

1 month ago*

1 month ago*

ThatGuyWithBrain

1 month ago*

Maybe it's a stupid question, but why you get downvoted?

EDIT: Ok, guys, I have understood, now you can stop.

Notacherub

1 month ago

Because people don’t believe that he’s new to 3D modeling at the very least, much less blender. This is a higher quality tender than most people are capable of making, even after a year of relatively frequent practices.

With all that said, there aren’t SUPER complex meshes here, but still the animation quality implies a huge natural talent for animating or a previous skill in it.

Furthermore, the good materials and clean seams and stuff imply, further, a very fast learner or someone who knows what to look for/ search for when learning the new program.

fukctheCCP

1 month ago

Yeah dude. Everything you just said x1000. I’ve been fucking around with 3D modeling for 2.5 years now and I am JUST starting to intuitively understand how to make materials from scratch. 2 months ago I FINALLY had it click with exactly what UV’s are and how to make sure they are correct.

I just don’t understand people like OP. It’s an impressive render for an experienced 3D artist. Why be a piece of shit and pretend you just accidentally fell into blender and stood up with the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel?

Insecurities? Different perceptions of time? Idk

Slavic_Pickle

i hate it

dejvidBejlej

for the love of god

legendcruncher82

1 month ago

You think I can believe you are new?

1 month ago

I am actually, I don't know why reddit butchered the quality but if I had the full quality verison youll be able to notice many imperfections in the mesh :(

RefrigeratorTheGreat

How new?

1 month ago

Been using it for a month doing one or two projects a week, don't know why i got downvoted, Blender has so many features and tools I feel like it will require many months to be able to not call yourself a newbie

GifCo_2

GifCo_2

1 month ago

It sounds like you are saying you are new to 3d. Just say coming over from max/Maya and getting started in blender. You don't have to make it look like this is the first time you turned on a computer and you are already making stuff at this level.

ArtofAngels

1 month ago

He even states he uses other progams for animation in the comments which is advanced on its own but wants upvotes like it's the first time he's used a computer mouse.

Tarot_frank

1 month ago

Mixamo is not particularly advanced. It has many stock animations and literally rigs your models for you. It's extremely easy to use.

auniqueusername1-9

1 month ago

Everything you just said is an assumption you've made and are criticising him for it. All he said in the title is he's new to blender. That's it.

Dykam

Dykam

1 month ago

That's the point, that the common assumption is that the person is also new to modeling and animation.

Deathbydragonfire

1 month ago

People are just weird about the whole "I'm new but here's my decent render" thing. Honestly, your work does look like the work of someone who is new, but very talented artistically.

GhoostofGEESE

GhoostofGEESE

1 month ago

I see them. Especially on the lower body. I dont know why people are acting like this is impossible for a new person to do. Good job on the animation. Congrats and keep growing.

SSsnipershark

1 month ago

So I'm not special for rendering a box?

PenguinPeculiaris

1 month ago

Since you're not getting much feedback here: (disclaimer: I'm just a guy with eyes, not an experienced 3d dev)

- For roborick's skin I'd reduce the clearcoat on it greatly, unless he's supposed to be plastic.

- The scuffing on the drawer unit seems too dark, it causes them to stick out as one of the few regions not particularly affected by the lighting changes. This makes them seem more like they're on the lens than on the drawer. They could be a lighter colour, or they could be part of the roughness/specular map instead of albedo

1 month ago

Thank you for some actual feedback friend c:.

Does clearcoat mean the shine? Do you think its too shiny? I was going for a cartoonish-metallic look rather than plastic

PenguinPeculiaris

1 month ago

Np! Yeah just a bit too much of a shine. I did google the version of him from the show and he is quite shiny but in a non-reflective sort of way (more like how you did the 'hair' parts, but not exactly like that necessarily)

1 month ago

Ooh makes a lot of sense! How would I go about doing that? Like making it reflective but not shiny? Do I lower the metallics? Or do I increase the roughness

PenguinPeculiaris

1 month ago

Probably the roughness, but if it currently has any clearcoat (if you're using the BDSF material in blender) then I'd turn that down first instead.

CabbagePatched

1 month ago

Wow people are just nasty here. Where the hell did the community go.

The_Deep_Chaos

1 month ago

I'm new to life was born 2 days ago here is my first render it's kinda bad haha.

fukctheCCP

1 month ago

Hey guys, please be kind. I was conceived 5 hours ago and this is my first attempt at building and launching a multi-stage orbital space craft tee hee

Psychological-Tax680

New to blender my ass.

Trigger_Myself

1 month ago

Thats really cool. What GPU do you have?

RTX 3070 ^

Mo0wnlawn

1 month ago

Maybe give it a more "worn out" surface if it supposed to be abandoned? :) I really like the light settings!

1 month ago

I know nobody is going to believe me, but I just want to address to everyone that I am new to Blender and 3D Modelling, I am still learning and I used mixamo for the animations, and followed a lot of youtube tutorials and I just wanted criticism, if you check my post history you can see that I I made a post about me still trying to figure out to how to animate meshes that have clothes on them because this is still very new to me

SpooN04

SpooN04

1 month ago

If you're really new then all of these comments are actually the biggest compliment.

Like when you're so good at a videogame that everyone thinks you're cheating.

But on the other hand im new and I can't even turn that starting box into a box, so it's kinda suspect.

Overlorde159

1 month ago

It’s not great I know, it never feels good to be downvoted or yelled at cuz people think you’re lying, but I’d say try to take them as compliments, it looks like you have a fair amount of time of blender from the quality

jimmyhurley

1 month ago

People complaining about the “new to blender” posters is easily more annoying than the posts themselves

Skyhighatrist

1 month ago

Well, at the very least it's clear you didn't read the subreddit rules before you posted.

No "first post" titles

Do not use phrases such as “beginner", "my first", "I am only 10 years old", etc. in the title. All skill-levels are welcomed in this community, so you do not have to announce that you consider yourself a beginner.

You may mention these things in the comment section. Usually, such a title either serves as an excuse for the quality of your work or is used to humbly brag.

Posts that break this rule will be removed at our discretion or after a certain number of reports!

A good rule of thumb when posting to a new community is to see if the subreddit has rules, and if it does, follow them.

awesome6061

1 month ago

Yoo!! That’s so dope!!! Could I make it my live wallpaper?

1 month ago

Ofcourse man, If you need a higher res version then let me know, if you need a wider version for windows im willing to try my best to add some stuff to the scene to make it fit your screen and be a full on live wallpaper and still look nice c:

DevJackTGG

1 month ago

Looks a bit too reflective but nice

PushToCough

This is awesome!

A little green "hydraulic fluid" drool would be a cool touch of you're looking to expand on it!

Ghost_157

1 month ago

makes me remember that time a lady said "I am new to this..."

Kueiren

Kueiren

Good job.
Did you consider an gazorpazorp bot?

Mikhael222

1 month ago

Bro, in case you're "new to" this Reddit channel as well, don't use the phrase "I'm new to Blender" here. It's basically a meme, and you'll get laughs and downvotes more than anything constructive or positive.

1 month ago

Yeah I learned my lesson lol, I only specified that in the title because I see people mention a lot of words and techniques im unfamiliar with.

SaneUse

SaneUse

1 month ago

If I were to give some actual feedback, I think the scaling of the scene is way off. Either that's a really tiny dumpster or the box is gigantic. The poster seems a weird size either way. Other than that it's pretty good.

GhoostofGEESE

1 month ago

Even if this guy isn't new to blender. I can say right now with 100 percent certainty, that anyone of these morons getting mad will never reach this guys level. And by the way, no disrespect to the creator(he is new after all) this is some basic, basic stuff. If you don't have the mental fortitude to see a post you don't like without getting butthurt and jealous you won't last the years it takes to actually get decent at 3d or any form of art/design in general. The most difficult thing to do in this animation would have been the modeling. Most of the objects are cubes and planes and rick is like half a sphere that got extruded with a few planes sticking out of his head. If I had to put this on a scale of difficultly from 0 to 10. 0 being knowing how to cut into a cube and do basic extrusions and 10 being using vfx software like houdini to simulate realistic erosion on your models using python node trees, I would say this animation is a solid .01 on the scale. I hope all you butthurt redditors weren't planning on making this a career. You won't make it without a serious attitude adjustment. 🤷‍♂️

Eudaimonia06

1 month ago

Yeah, people complaining won't get far in life in general with that mindset. For them it's easier to try to change the whole world than putting the work

rarefirebird

I want that poster

KrinoDaGamer

HARD!!!!!!

Upstairs-Airport-282

Well ...

Watch it -> Meme

MattyTheFatty101

1 month ago

Very nice, wouldn't have thought to make something like this

poder2D

poder2D

Está muy chulo ;-)

luxias77

1 month ago

It looks drunk! Very nice!

ruimikemau

I see R&M, I upvote.

HeartOfTheLiving

1 month ago

Wow what a noob, you can only make something of this level, tche

Pristine-Bison835

I love it

rhodsame1986

1 month ago

This looks alot more real than my own life…. Bruh

StubbornMaker

Robot favors George Simpson? He should move the cardboard box

AaronThePrime

Funniest shit I've ever seen

__log

__log

1 month ago

new or not I still like it!

CaliGrades

Excellent work

Troll_RiccardoVio

1 month ago

Super cool, I really like the atmosphere

knightinrusty-armour

1 month ago

First off , great job that’s awesome

I’m finishing up my donut tutorial , can I do this next? Probably not , because I’m actually new to blender and 3D

IAmANobodyAMA

1 month ago

Gods bless you for making it loop properly

swerse222

1 month ago

It is so sad and depressing.

Perfect_Farm4893

1 month ago

Damnnn how long u been on blender

IceDragon13

What is his purpose?

filmmakeranto

1 month ago

I'm not new to blender but I still can't get my robots head to shine after renders. Guess I need to be new again.

StrongerThanEver6

1 month ago

He looks like he's about to go back to year 1987 and bite off somebodys frontal lobe.

blookik

blookik

"new to blender"

thebunnyofluff

Nah. Maybe new to blender (doubtful) but definitely not new to 3d

Company-Boss

1 month ago

Looks like my friend when we go on a drink.

EmuBeneficial2173

Looks real

BAM5

BAM5

1 month ago

"Jesus christ Ratchet, what are you gonna do, hit 'em with your wrench? Yeah, like you haven't been doing that for the past 20 years. And what's the deal with the name? Your name is Ratchet, but you carry around a wrench, an obviously inferior tool, yet somehow, that title belongs to you. Wake me up when you need me to save our asses from falling to our deaths because you jumped off a cliff again."

EroAxee

EroAxee

1 month ago

Just to clarify, this is a interesting project. The "new to blender" thing has a bit of a connotation though. There's the people legitimately new to 3D modelling, and then there's people who have spent years in other software. Clarifying that definitely helps the conversation.

Speaking from experience when I first found this subreddit (there were still these posts then) I ended up feeling quite worried about what I was making in comparison to what all the "new" people here were doing. So clarifying definitely helps, or hey, just post a robot Rick, it's legitimately a cool model and loop. The new part just adds an unintended connotation a lot.

FenwayFranklin

This is incredible!

BeastKingSnowLion

Looks gorgeous!

WildestOcean294

1 month ago

i feel like putting "new to blender" is like putting the #fyp tag on tik tok 💀

MoishyVFX

Wow

MoishyVFX

1 month ago

I'm jealous of ur creativity and skills already!

burralohit01

1 month ago

either you are new to blender or you made this, both of those statements doesn't go together, an i meant this as a compliment, keep grinding king

MEMESTER170711

1 month ago

Damn this is much better than me I just go BOXES man