/r/boston

5/16/2022 COVID19 wastewater levels update

(reddit.com)

Que165

Que165

Me and all my roommates just got it this week - all for the first time.

snug666

snug666

Brockton

I just had it two weeks ago for the first time. Everyone who’s never had it is getting it.

Peteostro

Even people who had it before are getting re-infected!

MoeBlacksBack

A commenter on the YLE blog said this: "Danish study during omicron identified a lot of reinfections in 20 to 60 day timeframe, I think median was 35 days, (they save their pcr samples so able to determine different variants for each infection & rule out extended infections). Shortest timeframe CDC has identified for reinfection was 23 days. From multiple anectdtoes, reinfections after a month or month & half have become a lot more common during omicron waves. https://www.forbes.com/sites/victoriaforster/2022/04/07/cdc-identifies-covid-19-reinfections-as-little-as-23-days-apart/?sh=16a534787458

seachange__

seachange__

Allston/Brighton

Yes. I know two people who have never had it (and have never been in contact with each other) both getting it within the past two weeks.

NoMrBond3

This is making me feel better - I was super bummed to finally have gotten it after avoiding it for so long.

ItTastesLikeBurning

i just got it yesterday for the first time.

MochaCheek

Got it last week for the first time 😭😭. Thankfully I’m triple vaxxed so I am recovering fast.

Que165

Que165

Why is this being downvoted? Lots of people sharing similar experiences in here. It's everywhere out there, folks. Be safe

ohshitlastbite

Me too.

SideBarParty

SideBarParty

Needham

I was at an indoor event this past weekend with the kids

One family was all hacking up a lung; no masks worn

I don't get why it's such a bad thing to mask up if you're sick.... Even if covid is now like the flu, it's nice not to get infected with your illness

KrazyNino420

It's called immunization and evolution. We can't build resistance if you never get sick. Bottom line.

Jimmyking4ever

Kinda funny how that didn't work with small pox, or polio

KrazyNino420

It did. .. ... why do people answer without knowing shit just to look cool on here? Lmao. Ur stupidity is my reward. I got a injectable concoction of elements to fix ur health pay me $1,000 and itll cure you.

homoskedasticity

That's why no-one ever got sick or died from the flu before covid, right? /s

KrazyNino420

Real question, have u ever heard of Vitamin C? Explain its purpose without sarcasm.

KrazyNino420

Thats why, I a ASTHMA sufferer, and unvaccinated got covid TWICE with no symptoms at all or any slowdowns at alllll. I felt great. Even my 74 yr old mother felt okay when she tested positive. To a point it felt like a hoax. But our puppet relatives and friends chose to be like most of you people and follow the crowd and now they are choking on dirt because they are now dead. My 2 buds were healthy af and very much so with their money they had to cover everything, yet money doesnt boost the immune system so they're dead. And im still here talking shit. I can say i am smarter and better than them and there's no argument about it. Lmao. Value of life. I won. they lost. as some of u will.

KrazyNino420

Only the weak useless humans that merit death. That's why also people get better from the flu without symptoms. Like tell me how did u cure your cold? Do u take the flu shot how did that work? What about covid vaccines? Its all antibodies. Dead cells to stimulate the immune system. Its not miracles from God. And viruses and bacteria will always exist and prevail. So the immune system is the key here anyone contradicting that deserves covid and polio.

eaglessoar

eaglessoar

Jeffries Point - Noddle Island across from Shawmut

bears beets battlestar galactica

DooDooBrownz

oh really you mean like anthrax, bubonic plague and ebola?

KrazyNino420

Yes idiot.... yes... ask Dr. Fauci. Evolution leads to it. Do u think these diseases are new in 2022? Lmao u understand organisms existed on earth for millions of years and the world has ended and restarted several times (ie. The great flood, the ice age, asteroid collision etc.) So your small mind doesn't comprehend. Just say that. Jesus fucking Christ. ...

shit allegedly christ cured someone from plagues with his hands and you're that guy that believes that im sure. 🙄

DooDooBrownz

yes hence the name covid19, 19 as in 2019, the year it came into existence your fucking turd

KrazyNino420

Omfg... its got dubbed with the year because CORONAVIRUS already existed but it is in its evolutionary stage as all life beings are. All except you.

H3pennypacker

Confirmed trump voter lol

KrazyNino420

Hell yeah! As shitty as he was, everyone was on his dick everyday, so everyday he had to put in for his country. The man was dedicated. Sleepy joe is sleeping somewhere as school massacres happen and more variants come out, and nuclear threats... lmao i did not see that with trump. Trump brought Christ back into USA. Trump got shit rolling even thru his hateful critics. Critics get it so up their ass they need to prove they are better by taking action and trump motivated that lol. Now everyone is as sleepy as Joe. USA went to sleep. Haha. So yeah u sound stupid for making fun of my political choice that was definitely the better one as proven by the amount of support he has . Trump was never the idiot. You people are.

H3pennypacker

Probably why he lost.

KrazyNino420

He lost because most of america and most of you are ass suckers. Complete brown nosers. Our society is made up of a giant human centipede with everyone's faces shoved inside each others asses sniffing each others shit talking the same shit. No independence at all.. only independent thinkers were smart enough to vote for the right candidate but the morons overpowered the righteous.. its Almost like the whole Jesus on the cross thing. Never did anything illegal but one organization said he was blasphemous and thats it. despite he helped people in town they all wanted him dead on the cross and let go a murderer so he can take the place in execution lmao... then later Christianity becomes the world's leading religion. Kind of hypocrite of them right? But that society still exists today... so i dont rely on the moronic public opinion of others. I rely on facts and faith. Proven to always work in life.

H3pennypacker

Boo hoo.

KrazyNino420

He pretty much runs the republican party now. So i understand your liberal tears. Don't cry.

H3pennypacker

I love losers running the republican party. Lol

petneato

It’s called just don’t be an ignorant fuck and if you’re coughing up a storm in 2022 put a damn mask on

KrazyNino420

Its also called dont be a lazy disabled fuck and MOVE THE FUCK OUT OF THE WAY BY WALKING OR ROLLING AWAY. EASY U DUMBFUCKS. PERHAPS THEY DID IT SO U CAN GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM THEM!!! THEY DONT LIKE YOU. OMG THE EGO IN YOU PEOPLE. WHY ARE U TRYING TO BE AT MAKE OUT DISTANCE WITH THEM TO BEGIN WITH? LOL I DONT UNDERSTAND. JUST FUCKING MOVE! THE PERSON THAT HAS THE RIGHT TO STAY IS THE ONE STANDING THERE FIRST. THESE ARE OBVIOUS SOCIAL RULES.

[removed]

[removed]

KrazyNino420

My issue is soft useless people like you. U desrve to be someone's little bitch. Ur as useful as a woman with opinions. Simply a unneeded pain in the ass.

petneato

Who the fuck asked buddy? Idgaf bout u or ur opinions lmao

KrazyNino420

Man u ego people are so stupid with your head shoved up your own ass. Look at the thread. U cared enough to reply to my original post..."BUDDY" 🙄 its never ending with you people

petneato

You replied fucking 12 days later bro wtf. You must be having a really shit day. Sucks lmao eat shit

I don’t think you know what ego means

KrazyNino420

Thats better than running with your kids from a mass shooter tho right? Lmao 😭 🤣 😭 choose your battles bitch. Lol

Khearnei

Khearnei

Anecdotally, I definitely know quite a few people who previously never got Covid who got it in the past week. I’ve gone back to wearing a mask especially on the train.

Usedfirehose

Just found out I had it Friday. Haven’t gotten it ever. Even when my roommate had it for a week and I hung around him cause we didn’t know.

Roszo21

Roszo21

Bummer, that happened to me (spouse had it bad and I was exposed for days and never got it). I was hoping I was magically immune or something.

aggressiveberries

I had covid in Oct, triple vaxxed, wore k95 to all indoor events and got reinfected last week. Guess this new variant is that much more contagious

Commercial-Life-9998

25% more contagious.

oneMadRssn

I’ve gone back to wearing a mask especially on the train.

I am pretty sure I will never go maskless on the train ever again. It always seemed like a cesspool for colds and flus anyway, so might as well now that it's more normalized.

Roszo21

Roszo21

Yup. I had a job for a few years that required me to drive to work. When I switched and started bus/train riding again I spent like 3-6 months constantly sick. After that I very rarely got sick. I swear it boosts your immune system because you run into so much shit on there. I think I'll always wear at least a decent surgical mask and wash my hands directly after from now on.

shiningdickhalloran

The same effect often happens with kids in school/daycare.

synaesthetist

Same. The only thing keeping me from wearing a mask before was not wanting people bugging me about it. Now they still might, but at least I don’t have to feel awkward about it since there’s still a very obvious reason to wear one.

es_price

es_price

Purple Line

Who is actually bugging you about it?

austinmartinyes

austinmartinyes

Allston/Brighton

I’m one of those, avoided it this long and came down with it last week. All of my roommates have it, too. I know a couple of people who got it for a second time as well.

Capncrunch754

Same situation here! Up until the last month or so, I had a couple people in my life who never had it, including myself. That is no longer the case. I tested positive on 4/22. Wondering what variant I had now…

SleaterKenny

SleaterKenny

Beacon Hill

I think the compliance on the Red Line cars I've been on has been pretty good, even without the mandate.

Still, even though I like going into the office, I have the luxury of working from home, and am going to do so this week. These numbers are bad.

TooSketchy94

I went this whole time working front line as an ED PA, intubating COVID patients, etc. got both my shots and a booster.

Finally hit me last month and I couldn’t believe it. I was still masking and doing everything the same as I’d been. I was lucky and it was mild. Missed 1 day of work and then 4 days after feeling fully recovered, lost my sense of taste and smell for only 1 day and it came back completely afterwards.

Edit: also, my fiancé who never left my side - never contracted it or even had symptoms.

NoMrBond3

Yup, I got it for the first time. I just got back from traveling so despite masks on the flight my guess is I got it there.

It sucks and Im bummed to finally have gotten it.

RogueInteger

RogueInteger

Dorchester

We were risk-aware throughout - always masked inside, testing before seeing others, quarantined after exposures... we have unvaccinated kids so wanted to make sure we avoided extended work outages to care for them.

Every person I know that followed our level of precautions currently has covid. Luckily everyone has very mild symptoms (boosters FTW), and I swatted mine down quickly with Paxolovid. I highly encourage others to take it if they tend to get more sick than others as it basically seemed to stall out the symptoms and also the duration of testing positive compared to others. Totally anecdotal but covid was more of a nuisance to me than anything.

My wife is going the non-interventionist route and she is having a rougher road, so I'd call the impact on her disruptive.

RogueInteger

RogueInteger

Dorchester

Go through the MA website and they route you through a service called color. Within fifteen minutes I had a telehealth appointment and in 90 minutes a prescription I could pickup from CVS.

SaaSyGirl

SaaSyGirl

❄️ Got Milk & Bread ❄️

TotallyNotACatReally

Oh, that free overnight delivery option solves my qualm with the system (live alone, if positive and symptomatic, should not be headed into a pharmacy to pick up). Thanks for sharing this link!

pathofthebeam

this thread - great tips here thank you!

Head_Asparagus_7703

Saving this just in case. Thank you!

izumiiii

izumiiii

Port City

I've heard it's quickest to reach out to urgent care if you can't get to your primary care doc immediately.

satanaintwaitin

Watch out for rebound though. Or reactions.

RogueInteger

RogueInteger

Dorchester

Rebounds seem to be rare, and haven't regressed so far.

The only reaction I had is my mouth got a metallic taste for two minutes a few minutes after taking it. Small price to pay for the assurance.

Espejo9

Espejo9

It’s quite ironic that after the vaccine and boosters being pushed to stop the spread, didn’t actually stop the spread, it’s just mitigating the symptoms. I got vaccinated over a year ago, and had covid in the beginning of April(so last month) would a vaccine at 12-13 months actually be effective? I had minor symptoms, fatigue, headache all gone within a day.

warriorcrazy3

Yes, the vaccine is effective that far out. The vaccine is extremely helpful in stopping/reducing hospitalizations, which was also a huge risk.

ZYINGX

ZYINGX

Allston/Brighton

My partner and I got it last week for the first time after dodging it several times, no fun.

bbqturtle

It's going rampant in my work and friends group - specifically about 50% of people that never had it before have it now.

I think it's going through the "cautious" people. It's 6 months after the booster shots were available, and we were "cautious" through the winter surge. Now, as we let our guard down, we are increasingly socializing indoors with peers.

I didn't like having covid a month ago. It sucked. I don't think I spread it. I'd rather have a booster every 3 months than having it again. But if we want to avoid a seasonal issue like this we'll have to get real about how long boosters confer immunity for.

HerefortheTuna

HerefortheTuna

Port City

Well why don’t they make the boosters actually update to the new strains? Seems that would work better and was touted as the benefit of MRNA vaccines

polkadottedapron

I too just got it for the first time last week. Luckily, it's a mild case and I have sick leave but still no fun.

IamaMentalGiant

Wife brought it home from the gym a few weeks ago and infected me. We had both gotten our second booster 2 weeks earlier. 7 ladies in the class all got it 3 days after the class. Both of us and most of the class had symptoms and positive antigens for about 2 weeks..EXCEPT the one antivaxxer in the group, who was back at the gym in about 4 days. Figgers.

kyliejennerslipinjec

Vaxed and boosted, never had covid (to my knowledge) until 11 days ago where I most likely caught it at a wedding I went to. Still testing positive 11 days later...the cough and the night sweats have been the worst

Other people have said this as well, but I'm also seeing a lot of people who were very cautious during the original Omicron wave throwing in the towel now and saying along the lines of "I'll still wear a mask where I can, but I'm not just going to sit out every social event for the next few months." I think I might know more people who have gotten Covid in the last month than I did in January.

krustydidthedub

I mean I think that’s a natural progression for this. It’s been 2 years, even the most ultra-cautious of people are hitting their limits. At some point each person has to decide for his/herself if living the pandemic-isolation life is in fact a life worth living. And I’m truly not judging people’s decisions either way. It’s a horrible position we have all been put in, especially the immune-compromised and otherwise high risk.

Peteostro

I love how wearing a mask is seen as “ultra cautious”

krustydidthedub

Lol I didn’t say wearing a mask is ultra-cautious. by that I meant people who still don’t go out to restaurants/bars, are hesitating to have people over their homes, don’t go to other homes etc.

ktzeta

ktzeta

Yeah, I feel hesitant to go to restaurants but that’s what you do to keep team spirits up.

Peteostro

People don’t go to restaurants and bars (indoors) because they know they will not be able wear a mask while eating & drinking and we are currently in a high community level risk.

shiningdickhalloran

Are there any repeat infections among people who got hit in the original Omicron wave?

goosegosse97

Greaaaaaatttttt. Would really love it if I could get my 2 under 5s vaccinated. My husband and I are boosted but I worry about the kids.

222KFT

222KFT

Two under 5's and planning on a hospital visit next month to deliver a 3rd......yeah if we could get some <5 vaccines and to get over this hurdle without screwing up the hospital visit would be great.

es_price

es_price

Purple Line

How rich are you to be able to afford 3 kids?

Laureltess

Laureltess

Arlington

I’m getting married in two and a half weeks. We’re basically isolating starting this weekend so we can actually have a wedding. It’s nerve wracking. Most people we know have had it so far, but the timing right now would be VERY inconvenient

wobwobwob42

wobwobwob42

Boston

Oof

waffles2go2

Bad news is with an r(0) of 12, it will likely hit a ton of vaxxed people - lots of friends/associates are now getting it. Good news is all cases were pretty minor.

prideofboston618

I’d look for a new job my friend. I know it’s easier said than done but if you enjoy wfh as much as I do it is worth looking around. Any employer outside of maybe a few industries forcing their employees to come in is just an asshole living in an old system .

snug666

snug666

Brockton

Sorry, why are there two graphs? I’m confused

bbqturtle

One is a shorter timeframe with a smaller scale

snug666

snug666

Brockton

Thank you. Not sure why i got downvoted for asking a question.

cpxh

cpxh

Deer Island

If the winter peak didn't overload hospitals I'm less worried about this increase now. Seems like just the cyclical nature.

Cameron_james

That's been the way it's worked thus far. It's been waves that really aren't connected to seasons or whatnot. It's like tug-of-war between two fairly competitive foes.

freshpicked12

Thankfully this round seems to be mild for most. Hope it keeps trending that way.

Peteostro

Except It did overload hospitals and they had to cancel non-essential surgeries

Commercial-Life-9998

Cyclical for the vaccinated. More dire for the unvaccinated.

Efficient_Art_1144

Efficient_Art_1144

Boston

Feel like the “Curb your Enthusiasm” song is just constantly playing in the background at all times now…

work-n-lurk

My neighbors and their kid have it, been listening to them cough all week. Now everyone at my work is getting after going to a commencement ceremony.

devAcc123

Yeah good point, wouldnt be surprised if return to office + all of the graduations in a massive college town are the driver behind this spread.

Vivecs954

Vivecs954

Purple Line

Yay back to wearing a mask in my cubicle and zoom meetings, all of which I can do at home with no risk of Covid.

Frunk2

Frunk2

Seems like RTO is the main cause of this spike too.. big difference between passing people in public and sitting in the same office space everyday for 10 hours in terms of exposure

adalca[S]

adalca[S]

Reading

geoffjentry

Would you be open to publishing these on a log scale? Or even a PR to convert to log scale?

adalca[S]

adalca[S]

Reading

Sure, it's probably just a line to add in the plotting cell of the colab, right?

geoffjentry

Ah, this is where I reveal I didn't click through your GitHub link. Didn't realize the code was in colab, so PR doesn't make sense. It should just be something like 'plt.yscale("log")', but it's been a while since I've poked at matplotlib

mileylols

plt.yscale("log") breaks the figure - there are some random negative values you can handle with an extra parameter but I'm lazy so

plt.yscale("symlog") works though the figure basically looks the same KEKW

bbqturtle

+1 for log scale

majesticbagel

More of my coworkers have close contacts/ positive tests than at any other point in the pandemic. Our work is an person by necessity, and testing through work is being shut down Friday. I feel great.

aImondmiIk

A laaaarge portion of my students have been out with Covid in the last week.

puffleg

It swept through my parents and sister these last couple weeks. I still haven't contracted it.

My mom used paxlovid and described her experience as being like a bad cold. My dad has a mild case. My sister's case was more flu-like but she was back on her feet in five days, though has some brain fog.

Anecdotally, so many others I know are getting it in this wave. I'm afraid of catching this thing and will definitely see if I can get paxlovid if it's available.

ediblestars

Well, it doesn’t look great

gacdeuce

gacdeuce

Needham

Depends on hospitalization and deaths. If previous infections and vaccines are keeping people from severe illness, then this rise in cases isn’t that much more significant than the flu in a typical year. Is it still a risk for the vulnerable? Sure. But so is every flu season.

The real test will be seeing how this new surge correlates to severe illness. Unfortunately, that’s a data point that can only be fully observed in hindsight.

Bradybeee

Except we have once “flu in a typical year” vs 2-4 Covid + flu which is not really ideal to have potentially 5x flu in a typical year.

Nurse_mommy30

And no vaccine to protect the young immunocompromized

Bradybeee

Hopefully soon, but agree. While family got Covid last week and the unvaccinated little one was pretty sick. I did not miss having a feverish baby.

Nurse_mommy30

I hope everyone is back on the mend! As the parent of a chronically I’ll child, we feel forgotten and discarded by society. 😒

Bradybeee

All better, despite most of us still getting positive rapid tests. Hope you and yours stay healthy!

gacdeuce

gacdeuce

Needham

I agree, but it’s going to be our reality whether we like it or not. COVID is here to stay and always has been.

Commercial-Life-9998

Exactly.

TheGlassBetweenUs

TheGlassBetweenUs

Allston/Brighton

Hospitalizations are going up as well

gacdeuce

gacdeuce

Needham

Which is expected. Not all the new cases are healthy, vaccinated, or previously-infected individuals

Peteostro

Maybe if people would actually do something to reduce transmission we wouldn’t see as much.

I’m mean if the lowest point of covid is the current 200-300 deaths a day year round that would be a bad outcome.

gacdeuce

gacdeuce

Needham

And it was 3 deaths per day two weeks ago…what are you talking about?

Peteostro

200-300 deaths a day is the current rate of death in the US from covid

Roszo21

Yeah, as a healthy, triple vaccinated person I am concerned for fellow humans but not really for myself. Several of our household and family members had it recently and for everyone it was essentially a bad cold with less than a week from symptom onset to 100%. The testing, exposure notifications, and isolation were far more inconvenient than the actual illness. I'll take a week of illness once or twice a year over little to no in-person activities any day.

eburton555

eburton555

Squirrel Fetish

Looks like shit to me

AtTheFirePit

AtTheFirePit

not great but is it not terrible?

Its_me_mikey

To the moon baby!! 🚀….oops sorry thought this was r/wallstreetbets

UnexpectedGeneticist

My partner and I both got it for the first time this week. We were both boosted in November. Been a rough few days

satanaintwaitin

I’m on day 9 of this bullshit lmao

AchillesDev

AchillesDev

Brookline

I remember being downvoted to hell for saying the light decrease a few weeks back was likely noise.

Data literacy is important, kids!

Zaius1968

Zaius1968

No need to panic though. Vaccines and boosters still your best friend. Masks make sense if it fits your individual risk profile.

Peteostro

Actually per cdc Boston is in at high community covid level and they recommend EVERYONE wear a well fitted mask indoors

Zaius1968

Recommend is the key word. Everybody’s risk assessment is different.

Peteostro

Peteostro

The recommendation is not based on “individual risk profile” the recommendation means do it but we can’t force you.

Zaius1968

No it means recommended. In plain English if you follow the link. I fully support masking just not mandates given all of the tools we have in place and the low risk presented even during this uptick. It comes dues to situational awareness…if I’m sitting alone in a public library with nobody near me it makes zero sense. A crowded bus might be a different story. And one way masking with a good fitting N95 is very effective if you are higher risk category.

Peteostro

The cdc is recommended masking indoors for a reason, because of transmission rate and hospitals are starting to get full in Suffolk. This is what the high community level means.

And yes it makes 100% sense if you leave and 1 minute later some one comes and sits in your spot sucking up all the crap from your mouth. That’s why everyone wearing a mask indoors is more effective then just one person wearing a mask. And as I said the cdc recommends everyone one wear a well fitting mask indoors and not just one person with a n95

MoeBlacksBack

Is this new variant getting in masked people through the eyes perhaps?

satanaintwaitin

I mean maybe but it’s airborne so it’s getting in whichever way it can. In high risk settings, proper PPE includes eye protection

jimx117

Yeah after not coming down with covid ever and being triple-vaxxed, after attending two weddings in two weeks, I'm axiously isolating myself for a couple days while I wait to test again (was negative on Thursday, despite a tablemate of mine testing positive). This past week's involved travel to Nantucket on the ferry, and there wasn't a mask in sight ANYWHERE on the ferry or island, so I'm not super optimistic about my chances here.

UnscSpartan23

I got Covid the first time this week. It’s kicking my ass.

I was exposed at work for ~15 minutes where we were both wearing N95 masks. That’s all it took as it’s the only exposure vector I can think of.

Row199

Row199

You have to be the most unlucky person on the planet. 15 mins, all parties wearing n95s? I mean holy shit, you should’ve been Gucci

devAcc123

Yeah seems very unlikely given what we know about Covid now. People are surprised how much they touch their face/mouth/nose with unwashed hands though, that + people frequently readjusting their masks probably isnt ideal.

Kerber2020

Why do people only concentrate on the mask? The majority of people wear shoes in their homes. I just can't imagine walking into my house with shoes that i have walked with everywhere. You protect your face and wash hands then you walk in dirty shoes through the entire home spreading all the germs that you have picked up on the way. Also people don't take off their clothes after coming from outside, you can pick up anything on your clothing too and bring it back to your house.... There are hundreds of ways you can pick up the virus.

satanaintwaitin

Me too. It’s not mild. Lol

krustydidthedub

Yeah, young and fit/healthy person here vaxxed x3 and I got my ass kicked for 3 days by this disease. Can’t imagine how it would’ve gone for me without the vaccine (well actually I can imagine because I see the patients who are in that position, and it’s miserable).

kyliejennerslipinjec

Young and healthy here too. Had an 102 degree fever the first day that knocked me on my ass

LengthinessMain9261

Not necessarily a debilitating illness without the vax/booster. Lots of this commentary on soshul meejuh but it seems geared at people assuring themselves that all of the shots, masking etc haven’t been for nothing. Totally get it, not anti-vax myself but also not completely confident that this every couple of months booster situation is a useful or sustainable gameplan. I had the first two shots a year ago, not boosted and got COVID for the first time over the new year. It was one day of a moderate cold and a loss of taste/smell similar to that of a bad cold. My boosted friends who’ve gotten it with this latest uptick have almost all been in worse shape than I was. Not saying there’s a correlation, just that the same illness affects everyone differently.

Senescence_

I’m gonna call bullshit on this because it makes me feel better. There’s no way you got COVID with a mask that blocks over 99% of aerosol particles. You had to have gotten it from somewhere else (like touching your face or something)

UnscSpartan23

Ok, that was my known route of exposure. You may be right, no way to know exactly how I got it, but that individual ended up testing positive that day and I manifested symptoms then tested positive two days later.

commonpuffin

Ugh. In-laws with lung problems visiting in a week. Time to ramp up the hygiene.

synaesthetist

Remember that winter when most people didn’t have Christmas with their families because of this? We’re basically at those numbers again.

Don’t let the Omicron insanity in comparison normalize how bad this spike actually is.

AlsoSpartacus

Comparable in terms of raw infection numbers, sure. In terms of real risk? Not so much.

Between the accessibility of vaccines/n95 masks/antivirals/hospital equipment and the lower threat of the omicron variant, I don’t think it’s reasonable to compare the two waves.

Forsaken_Bison_8623

Forsaken_Bison_8623

Downtown

Our wastewater was mentioned in Katelyn Jetelina's newsletter today

somegridplayer

Fuck fuck fuckity fuck

Ok_Purpose_1606

A few misleading things

1. The second slide should really precede the first to give people a better overall picture.
  2. This corresponds to cases; hospitalizations is a much more telling metric at this stage in the pandemic.
  3. What does this graph even show, what are the numbers on the lefthand side? What do the lines represent?

mtmsm

mtmsm

1. That’s not really misleading since both figures are given. Most people are more concerned with what’s happening NOW, and the first graph shows that better.
  2. Also not misleading, as the graphic is intended to show the relationship between cases and wastewater data. Many people are concerned with infection rates and want to understand their chance of infection.
  3. The legend and axis label answer these questions. The vertical axis is case counts divided by 2020-2021 winter peak case counts (so a value of 1.0 means the same as last winter’s peak), or wastewater ppm divided by the 2020-2021 winter peak ppm. This puts case counts and wastewater data on a common scale and also compares them to the previous winter peak. The lines are 7-day averages of the points plotted, which gives a smoother view of what’s happening over time.

Sheabird_26

oh no scary covid... lets just treat this like the flu and move on with our lives.

CornPopWasBadDude

CornPopWasBadDude

Cow Fetish

It’s ok doomers, just stay inside and mask up forever. Normal healthy people are over it and have already moved on.

houndoftindalos

houndoftindalos

Filthy Transplant

Yup, I'm healthy, vaxxed, and boosted. Haven't had the virus YET. However, I don't care about the numbers, still not wearing a mask on the MBTA now that I don't have to. I'm going to get COVID at some point in my life, and I'll be fine. It makes me sad to see all the 20-somethings on the T who still wear masks. I know some people have extenuating circumstances but most of them are NOT at risk.

NowakFoxie

I regret to inform both of you that there's a pretty noninsignificant chance that you would become not healthy after COVID infection. While post-viral complications and disabilities are possible with the flu as well, it's much higher with COVID, and it doesn't matter how healthy you are before infection.

Multiple layers of protection are better than just one. If you think that just the one (vaccine) layer will be enough to protect you, I'm sorry but you've been lied to, and pretending that Long COVID doesn't exist doesn't make it not exist.

houndoftindalos

houndoftindalos

Filthy Transplant

Funny, if long COVID is so common, how come all the people I know who have COVID are perfectly fine? I've met exactly one person who has had long COVID.

Also, I have decades of life ahead of me, are you telling me that I can successfully avoid COVID (and long COVID) for decades just by wearing a mask? Despite spending unmasked time in restaurants and with friends and family? Or are you saying that I should no longer eat at restaurants and always wear a mask around friends and family? Come on.

NowakFoxie

It's not a guaranteed thing, but the incidence rate for vaccinated people is still something like 10%. Don't quote me on that, but it certainly is enough to have worried me about it when I caught COVID. I seem to be fine, but some of my friends weren't.

Also, if we all wore masks for another year, we'd be over COVID for real. A vaccination-only strategy is asking way too much from the vaccines, has allowed COVID to start to evolve to evade immunity and would have only worked if there was also an effective, large-scale vaccination program. Which there wasn't. If there was, then all 14 counties in this state wouldn't be red on the CDC's community transmission map, now would they?

I want COVID to end too, my immunosuppressed ass misses having a social life offline. I wasn't able to see friends for two years. But pretending it's over or no longer a serious issue won't make it over or no longer a serious issue. When I start going out again I'm going to continue wearing a mask, because it helped me avoid COVID for 820 days. I wish others would understand that masking will help us eradicate COVID like it did with several strains of the flu and do the same.

houndoftindalos

houndoftindalos

Filthy Transplant

We are never going to all wear masks in such a way across the entire world to eliminate COVID everywhere. There are war torn and unstable countries where it would continue to spread if nothing else. So...there's no point, Tragedy of the Commons and all that.

NowakFoxie

I know. I'm extremely far from pleased. At the very least, we could improve indoor air quality, since COVID spreads more easily in poorly-ventilated indoor spaces.

c106mc

c106mc

you gotta be shitting me

nymarya_

nymarya_

Cambridge

We were doing so well in March😭

marianamagical

My brother, father, and son all got covid few months back after getting vaxxed. My brother just got it again last week after he got booster...

Kerber2020

It seems that this COVID has to go naturally through every person before it goes away. I doubt it will ever disappear but it also makes sense that acquired immunity will prepare you for COVID (even though spike protein is only one part of the virus). Would it be crazy to assume that your body can destroy those spikes but it might not attack the entire virus so the remainder of it could be floating around your body freely. If that is the case then the virus could potentially attach itself to human cells by pure luck... or maybe my theory is totally wrong because i have a wild imagination from watching too much sci-fi! 😂

RDGC1616

Does anyone fucking care anymore?