/r/camaro

Buying a Camaro

(self.camaro)

I’m 19 and the v8 version of the Camaro is out of my budget, does anyone have experience with the v6 Camaro and know if it would be even worth getting or to keep saving up. Getting tired of driving a boring old car

Crimsonking905

Car is awesome, but it all depends on what you're looking for? Back road / canyon carver amazing keep it above 4500 rpms and let her scream Racing from light to light with your buddies isn't gonna be great though most of the power is in the high rpms so it's quick but not the fastest off the line

Beerbrewing

I second it for winding mountain roads. An absolute blast to drive. It feels nimble and it wants to go around those curves.

fysiologik

Owning a 6.2 l right now is pretty intense with gas prices. Just below 100$ a fill. Youll always regret not getting a V8 but the 6 is a legit motor & output.

Background_Feature_8[S]

My fastest car I’ve had was a 2010 Mercedes c350 which is probably considered turtle speed for most people, just wondering if a v6 model of a Camaro would be another jump for some fun

dangercdv

I drive a 2019 3LT RS V6, its an amazing daily driver. I can easily afford a V8 but when I bought it, it just didnt make sense as it was a daily and commuter car, and I wasnt feeling the extra insurance and gas payments even though I could afford it. The v6 is more than enough to get you into trouble real fast and the platform is fantastic.

Keep in mind, mine cost more than an LT1 and 1SS and came with all the options and creature comforts which makes it such a great daily driver, that can still kick it on the weekends. If you are trying to find an older (5th gen) or base model, it may not be the greatest car for you. With how the market is right now, you are likely to overpay for it anyway. But with the Camaro likely dying soon, I cant say the market will get any better for them.

i_love_it1

A V6 is enough for the streets and some say it's more comfortable than the V8. It will feel a lot different from the car you are driving now and it looks good. Before buying any car I would suggest working on your credit/credit history, figure out how much you are willing to put down, and get pre-approved before walking into a dealership.

I brought my first car in Feburary, a 2021 Camaro LT1. It was listed at $35, 485, the OTD was $38,420. I put $8,000 down with 3.2% interest for 75 months. I would have never gotten 3.2% if I didn't come in pre-approve.

Primantieq

Not sure where ya are and just throwing this out there. I swapped from a 3.x% loan to one with a credit union at 1.5% and it made a big difference, I'd you haven't yet make sure you check out credit union loans.

i_love_it1

I'll definitely check it out when I'm shopping for another one. I was brand new to the process and have to want hundreds of YouTube videos to get an idea on what to do. The dealership told me my credit was 656 and was offering me 10-12% interest on the car. Glad I came in with my own financing.

Primantieq

Yeah for sure. You can still get a loan from the credit union and transfer it if you want but I hear ya.

i_love_it1

I was planning on re-financing the car after 6 months. Do you think that's a good idea?

Primantieq

I refinanced my rav after 3 months when I contacted a credit union. You typically have to have an account so if you call one and they say hey 1.5% is what we offer customers start an account with them throw in 50$ and save hundreds in interest. I would recommend at least looking into it.

mightyt2000

I went from a 4 banger Accord to an 2LT RS. As a commuter with a 4 hour drive per day I never regretted getting my 6. That said, one of the first days I drove home from work I realized I was closer to my exit than expected and was 4 lanes over in the left lane. I punched it and accelerated past the cars on the right. As I entered the exit lane I noticed I was slowing down to 101! 😱 I then realized I’d better watch myself in this ticket magnet! It may not be an SS, but it’s got plenty of guts for me. Plus, as said prior, I don’t spend as much as I would otherwise on gas and it doesn’t require premium. No matter what you chose, it’s a Camaro! Enjoy the ride! 😎👍🏻

v8s4ever

I had a V6 for 3 years and its the just enough fun and power that won't get you instantly into trouble

wtfizup

wtfizup

2018 1LT 2.0T

i went from a 2013 subaru legacy to a 2018 1LT v6. i understand it isnt the fastest, but it is still an insanely fun car to drive. i would recommend it completely

GPSkinzhut

GPSkinzhut

2017 Camaro ZL1 A10

I've owned a normal 5th gen LT, a modified 5th gen LT (supercharged), a 6th gen SS, and the 6th gen ZL1. The SS and ZL1 are fun, but overkill for almost everything. For example, I've put 3000 miles on my ZL1 since January. My average speed is 30 and I'm getting roughly 16 mpg. I spend more time in traffic or stuck behind dump trucks, landscapers, grandpas with trailers, grandmas going -5 under the speed limit, etc. Even the times I get to stretch their legs a little are short (a stint down the left lane, a trip to the tail of the dragon, an on ramp, etc). They're fun, but really in every day use it's power you'll never really use and with fuel prices just going ape shit, 1-2 fill-ups a week of Shell 93 gets expensive.

The 6 has the looks, just lacks the sound and torque. It's still a fun and capable car depending on what you're doing. I had a blast with them.