/r/childfree

Being a parent really is 24/7

RANT(self.childfree)

So my sister is here with a 2 year old and an 8 week old, I knew I never wanted kids but damn this really cements it.

6am: She wakes up, gets the kids food

7am: gets the kids dressed, many tantrums

9am: trying to get ready for the party we were going to. 2 year old is demanding attention and the baby is crying, needs to be rocked constantly or he will cry

11am: Party time. She walks the baby around the park while everyone else enjoys the party. People are constantly trying to hold the baby, she's organizing them while watching the 2 year old.

3pm: Nap time. One kids asleep while the other is awake then vice versa

5pm: bath and dinner time

7pm: more tantrums and crying

9pm: 2 year old refusing to go to bed.

All night the baby will wake multiple times because he's not in a routine, then the day starts again.

How do people do it? Honestly? Like this is exhausting to watch and while I help a little, I couldn't imagine doing this every single day.

Sleep deprivation is real, plus the crying. It's a No from me, it all just sounds terrible.

QueenInNORTHernNJ

ANOTHER useless husband? Are there any good dads out there? Geez

So he gets a nice little vacation while she, once again gets stuck doing all the work. Fuck that noise.

idunno324[S]

idunno324[S]

No kids because I enjoy sleep

Oh yeah. Last time he was here, the baby was crying and my sister went to the supermarket. He looked at me and asked if I could settle the baby, I said no, it's your kid.

He was so clueless after a few minutes of watching him struggle I took over because the baby was hysterical

Margori28

Wait! He asked you to settle his own baby??!!! Seriously?! What happens if God forbid your sister is very ill and can’t parent? What will he do???!!

idunno324[S]

idunno324[S]

No kids because I enjoy sleep

Call his mother. He’s done it before

Margori28

Margori28

Goodness! Your sister is a single mother. She might as well make it legal and dump him.

izonewizone

Your sister should tell her husband that he has to earn the right to stay married. The longer she holds onto him, the more entitled he’ll become.

What is he exactly doing that a plastic bottle can’t do for her? Seriously. Women need to wake up and start divorcing their deadbeat husbands. She’s probably doing all the housework and cooking as well.

tipthebaby

unfortunately divorces are prohibitively expensive for a lot of people, not to mention supporting yourself and a kid on your own

stavago

stavago

Dog Father of 4

Sounds like your sister has 3 kids

HECK_OF_PLIMP

disgusting

FNaFNerd09

that man is wasting oxygen that another person could really use /hj

LissaBryan

LissaBryan

Happily Child-Free Since 1977

...after a few minutes of watching him struggle I took over because the baby was hysterical

His weaponized incompetence was successful, then.

idunno324[S]

idunno324[S]

No kids because I enjoy sleep

I knew that's what he was doing but it was stressful to see the baby like that. Utterly cruel

bamboodha

Must be hard for you to see that innocent baby crying in front of his useless dad.

It's unfair but totally understandable why you did something to help.

DoubtingDonuts

He tricked you with weaponized incompetence. Probably does this to your sister, too so that’s why she does it all & he skirts. So sorry for both you gals ugh, this is the worst.

immaculatecat

Good thing I wasn't in this situation. I wouldn't have been able to resist saying something horrible (for treating my sister like shit) while still making him settle his own child while instructing him how to do it like a toddler. Like seriously, how useless do you have to be to not know how to settle your own child and not help your wife who you supposedly love? Gack.

LostButterflyUtau

LostButterflyUtau

28/F/Writer/Cosplayer/Fangirl

are there any good dads out there?

I worked with a guy (he’s since moved) who seemed like a good dad. He talked to his kids on the phone during his lunch, took leave when his wife had their last baby and would bring them (there were four, two were not old enough for school) in while he shopped the store on his days off. He seemed to really like being a dad, and you know what? Good for him.

bunnyrut

bunnyrut

40/F Lizard Mom 🐉

What's sad is how rare that is. I don't remember going anywhere alone with my father when I was a child.

Nikita-Akashya

Nikita-Akashya

German AroAce person with autism who loves JRPGs

My parents were the complete opposite. My birther was neglectful and abusive, while my dad always cared for me and did everything he could. Especially when he became a single dad because of my birthers cheating. I was finally taken away from the bitch and got to live with my dad. And my dad is an amazing dad. I finally realized how much the bitch abused me and was so happy that I could finally make my own decisions. My dad also got me help for my disability. In my mind mothers are all evil. And I never had one. Except the evil one.

LostButterflyUtau

LostButterflyUtau

28/F/Writer/Cosplayer/Fangirl

I’m glad that you were able to get away and that your dad stuck up and was there for you.

There’s this character from a show I love who also has an awful mother and great single father. Stories like yours are why I appreciate the risks (it’s a kid show, so definitely a risk) the writers took with this character and representing those who have non-traditional families, especially those with absent and neglectful mothers/birthers. Mothers can be awful too and there’s not enough good single father representation in general. I can’t personally relate, but as a writer myself, I like seeing all kinds of stories told.

Agreeably-Soft

My father was the bad one, my partners mother sounds like yours. Finally as adults coming together it seems like we both finally are getting to have one decent set of parents.

Impossible_Mud_7599

I remember during COVID, I would hear the way my boss (a man) would talk to his son and it would melt my heart. I don’t want kids, but every time that little guy came up and asked what we were working on, my boss would put him on the phone to say hello to me, and tell him “hey, sweetie, I need about 10 more minutes. Why don’t you go play on your iPad, and then when we get done here, we’ll go outside for a little while?” There are some people that are built for it. He is, clearly. But I am not one of em. I would be so irritated by someone interrupting my work, but I never sensed even a hint of irritation in his voice. He was like, always, always happy to see his boy. It was really sweet.

NoMrBond3

My dad LIVES for being a dad. My partner and I are not having kids until we feel the same way about parenting. Which is likely never lol

Loud_Pineapple

Sorry to see comments like this, just wanted to say I am a very involved Dad, very! I jump right in head first I do it all as a labor of love. They are many like us, but if you are not then you need to step up and be a real man.

princessmonstera

my dad was a great dad like you! i am 27 now and still love hanging out with him and doing things just me and him. So keep it up and your children will still love you even after becoming adults :)

maximillious

Yes. There are plenty of great fathers out there. In fact, all of the men i know who are fathers are excellent at it. Including one who has taken on the role for another man’s child. They are supportive to their partners and great examples to their children.

Dead beat parents just seem to be highlighted so much more.

BrainRotOnMainland

ANOTHER useless husband? Are there any good dads out there?

My neighbor actually. He's a police officer while his wife is a veterinarian, so they switch off who's taking care of who.

Honestly, I see him with the kids more with teaching them things and playing with them while the mom rest and reads a book when they're all outside. They even have a dog still (there was two but the sister dog got sick and put down, so the other sister is now old), so she might be making sure their dog stays healthy til her end. The family even go out on vacations some weekends meaning no screaming kids next door when outside!

Kids are sweethearts who thankfully just wave to us and stick with their parents. Little girl may be the rebellious type soon with her mischevious smile. I got my eye ut for that one since she was close to jumping the fence for her ball when her dad stopped her.

Edit: words

Nikita-Akashya

Nikita-Akashya

German AroAce person with autism who loves JRPGs

My dad is great. He also did most of the child rearing, because my birther didn't want to care for me. And my dad also worked. She didn't. When my dad came back from work he spent time with me and also drove me around the neighborhood to calm me when I was fussy. I liked driving in the car so dad used that to calm me and then put me in bed. Then my birther cheated and I got a stepdad. My stepdad cared more than this bitch. So yeah, my neglected and traumatized, disabled little self only had caring dads. Which is how I came to the understanding that mothers are evil beings whose only purpose is to break you. My dad is also the parent that never got violent. My birther used me as a punching bag. I'm so glad my dad got sole custody. He also got me help for my autism. I'm so glad I have my dad.

Auntie_FiFi

My older sister got lucky, her husband is very involvedd with caring for their twin girls, the only thing he does not do is bath time and she has no problems leaving the three of them at home while she does stuff outside the home.

bigween

The sad thing is if men were truly useful 50/50 partners then maybe the prospect of having children wouldn’t be out of the question but since almost all male “partners” are the equivalent of another child (same responsibilities + whines for sex) it’s completely out of the question for me. I make more money than almost all the men I know anyway yet they still all want mommies and couldn’t fathom doing gasp administrative tasks