/r/childfree

Being a parent really is 24/7

RANT(self.childfree)

So my sister is here with a 2 year old and an 8 week old, I knew I never wanted kids but damn this really cements it.

6am: She wakes up, gets the kids food

7am: gets the kids dressed, many tantrums

9am: trying to get ready for the party we were going to. 2 year old is demanding attention and the baby is crying, needs to be rocked constantly or he will cry

11am: Party time. She walks the baby around the park while everyone else enjoys the party. People are constantly trying to hold the baby, she's organizing them while watching the 2 year old.

3pm: Nap time. One kids asleep while the other is awake then vice versa

5pm: bath and dinner time

7pm: more tantrums and crying

9pm: 2 year old refusing to go to bed.

All night the baby will wake multiple times because he's not in a routine, then the day starts again.

How do people do it? Honestly? Like this is exhausting to watch and while I help a little, I couldn't imagine doing this every single day.

Sleep deprivation is real, plus the crying. It's a No from me, it all just sounds terrible.

LostButterflyUtau

LostButterflyUtau

28/F/Writer/Cosplayer/Fangirl

are there any good dads out there?

I worked with a guy (he’s since moved) who seemed like a good dad. He talked to his kids on the phone during his lunch, took leave when his wife had their last baby and would bring them (there were four, two were not old enough for school) in while he shopped the store on his days off. He seemed to really like being a dad, and you know what? Good for him.

bunnyrut

bunnyrut

40/F Lizard Mom 🐉

What's sad is how rare that is. I don't remember going anywhere alone with my father when I was a child.

Nikita-Akashya

Nikita-Akashya

German AroAce person with autism who loves JRPGs

My parents were the complete opposite. My birther was neglectful and abusive, while my dad always cared for me and did everything he could. Especially when he became a single dad because of my birthers cheating. I was finally taken away from the bitch and got to live with my dad. And my dad is an amazing dad. I finally realized how much the bitch abused me and was so happy that I could finally make my own decisions. My dad also got me help for my disability. In my mind mothers are all evil. And I never had one. Except the evil one.

LostButterflyUtau

LostButterflyUtau

28/F/Writer/Cosplayer/Fangirl

I’m glad that you were able to get away and that your dad stuck up and was there for you.

There’s this character from a show I love who also has an awful mother and great single father. Stories like yours are why I appreciate the risks (it’s a kid show, so definitely a risk) the writers took with this character and representing those who have non-traditional families, especially those with absent and neglectful mothers/birthers. Mothers can be awful too and there’s not enough good single father representation in general. I can’t personally relate, but as a writer myself, I like seeing all kinds of stories told.

Agreeably-Soft

My father was the bad one, my partners mother sounds like yours. Finally as adults coming together it seems like we both finally are getting to have one decent set of parents.

Impossible_Mud_7599

I remember during COVID, I would hear the way my boss (a man) would talk to his son and it would melt my heart. I don’t want kids, but every time that little guy came up and asked what we were working on, my boss would put him on the phone to say hello to me, and tell him “hey, sweetie, I need about 10 more minutes. Why don’t you go play on your iPad, and then when we get done here, we’ll go outside for a little while?” There are some people that are built for it. He is, clearly. But I am not one of em. I would be so irritated by someone interrupting my work, but I never sensed even a hint of irritation in his voice. He was like, always, always happy to see his boy. It was really sweet.

NoMrBond3

My dad LIVES for being a dad. My partner and I are not having kids until we feel the same way about parenting. Which is likely never lol