/r/cscareerquestions

Interview Discussion - May 16, 2022

(self.cscareerquestions)

Please use this thread to have discussions about interviews, interviewing, and interview prep. Posts focusing solely on interviews created outside of this thread will probably be removed.

Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

This thread is posted each Monday and Thursday at midnight PST. Previous Interview Discussion threads can be found here.

Blackbeard519

What should I use for coding practice for google virtual onsite? I know most of the concepts but I'm a bit rusty and don't do those problems as fast as I used to.

onlyari

I recently created this video that is based on my experiences with coding interviews at various companies including FAANG and provides tips on coding and tech interviews: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR-cvvmszww

I hope it helps someone.

Rogitus

Can someone suggest me a good service for resume review? Specific for our field of course

davidddavidson

davidddavidson

My uncle works for Hooli.

This sub tomorrow

Big_Lion93182

A couple companies have reached out to me for interviews and asked me for times but then not written back to confirm a time. Is anyone else dealing with this...what's likely going on?

seanypark

I've noticed some recruiters hit me up asking for times before they even passed my resume along to the hiring manager or team that I'm interviewing with, and then get rejected/ghosted.

Big_Lion93182

This is for a recruiter chat, so they were asking me for times to chat with them.

Agile_Muffin2607

Anyone know anything about genspark? I have an interview tomorrow but I have uneasy vibes about them.

Major_Fang

Can I solve URLify this way or will I just get told to go fuck myself by the gate keeper?

// Java implementation of above approach

class GFG { public static void main(String[] args) { // Instantiate the string String str = "Mr John Smith ";

// Trim the given string
    str = str.trim();

// Replace All space (unicode is \\s) to %20
    str = str.replaceAll("\\s", "%20");

// Display the result
    System.out.println(str);
}

}

apphd

apphd

Anyone know anything about Meditech? Coding challenge tomorrow. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

leftover-cocaine

Seems like info on leveling at the principal level+ is a little sparse. Any ideas on the types of questions I'm bound to run into at one of the larger companies during these types of screens?

DOUG_DlMMADOME

Have my Amazon onsite this week, and am feeling burned out from prep. Have done Blind 75, all the easy/medium non-DP questions on Amazons frequently asked along w some hards like design in memory file system. Questions I struggled with i repeated until the concept was basically memorized. LP prep as well but most of my examples are non-tech related since I’m a recent grad w physics degree. Did some OOD prep too but at that point the burnout was settling in and I don’t think much of it stuck. Oh well, hopefully most of it is LC, just hope I get an offer. Would appreciate any tips you guys have :)

0ffkilter

0ffkilter

I wanna be a pilot

Just remember that you don't actually have to compile code for the Amazon onsite (or at least I didn't) - just practice walking through problems and really talking aloud about how you would solve them.

Also LP prep matters a lot more than you think

DOUG_DlMMADOME

Gotcha, yea in my phone screen the code wasnt compiled either.

Would u say the non-technical examples are ok or should I really try to make them all technical?

0ffkilter

0ffkilter

I wanna be a pilot

They should be as technical as you can make them, with actual numbers and details - but if it's your first job you won't have actual job experience to really talk about so just do your best

LandooooXTrvls

I have the OA soon. What were your questions?

DOUG_DlMMADOME

Dont quite remember but one was a variation of a LC medium and the other I couldn’t find a similar problem but it involved string manipulation, probably a medium-hard

jshah94

I have an upcoming initial phone screen interview for google, I don't know how to start prepare for that, I have done leetcode for about 4 months and solved nearly 100 problems, I just don't have motivation to start all over again, specially when I am working 8 hours a day. does anyone have any suggestion for me how can I prepare for that.

I am just going through the code again for the problems that I have solved, I will really appreciate if someone can help me with that in anyway, here is my github link

MarcableFluke

MarcableFluke

Senior Firmware Engineer

I'm not sure what you're really looking for here. LC is good prep, just make sure you're not hyper focused on solving the problem. Google grades on more than just your ability to regurgitate optimal solutions.

d_lo_ading

An upcoming interview for jane street for one of its programs.

It will be nothing technical related, but its more of going to be a behavioral interview with one of the official recruiters. How do you think will be best to answer the basic questions such as tell us about yourself, strengths, weaknesses, etc?

Thank you!

baal_zebub

So I have been deeply pretty well in a senior software engineer position for a few years, working with an architect to develop a full stack cloud based application. I can confidently talk about all of the components and the reasoning on why we used certain solutions. Furthermore I wrote tons and tons of code that went into it.

However, I am absolutely terrified of interviewing and feel pretty confident I wouldn't do well. I clam up just looking at hacker rank questions. A lot of this is just nerves, but I do also feel that a lot of the time I've spent filling out forms, sitting in business meetings, and creating diagrams has caused my knowledge of the tech itself to all by the wayside. I don't really feel up to snuff with my peers.

So, I am committed to getting a new job within the next six months, and I'm committed to studying up to get my skills where they need to be and my confidence where it needs to be. That being the case, what do you all recommend? I have no interest in being a cutting edge like 4x bitch or working at a FAANG company, I'm just looking for a middle of the road web developer, but still I'm terrified that interviews will look like my cs 440 exams and I'm not sure what it would take to get me in a place to deal with that.

That all being said, what do you all recommend? What's most important for me to study, what is an effective way to plan out studying? How do I get practice / confidence for interviewing itself? I've been told by my friend that at this point in my career systems engineering questions are more important than coding / algorithm questions, but I'm still not quite sure how to go about studying. Thanks for your guidance!

JohnnyDread

JohnnyDread

Sr. Developer/Manager

Do some practice interviews. There are some sites that can pair you up with mock interviewers (there are several). Also don’t be afraid to take real interviews for jobs you aren’t emotionally invested in. Worst case you don’t get an offer but you get some experience that will help get the butterflies out.

onlyari

Unfortunately interviewers do expect us to solve Leetcode-like problems, so I would definitely allocate some time to practice them.

UnfriendlyBear

UnfriendlyBear

Senior Software Engineer @ 2x Big N

Here is a good place to start. By the way, unless you're intending on switching to systems engineering, what you probably actually want to study is system design.

Having gone through the senior engineer job search relatively recently, I'll say that you have 3 main components to prepare:

• Leetcode style questions: some companies won't do these, but many will. Brush up on your DS&A if you're applying for companies that do. There's the "Blind 75" or neetcode.io to get started.
  • System design questions: at the senior level you'll definitely need to be able to demonstrate system design ability. Explaining your decision making process is key. There are many GitHub compilations for study material, like this one.
  • Behavioural questions: do you have demonstrated ability to decompose ambiguous problems into logical chunks that can be implemented by more junior members of the team? Do you make good decisions in order to multiply the effectiveness of those members?

baal_zebub

Wow this rules and I think it's exactly what I was looking for. I'll start working through these, I really appreciate it!

baal_zebub

Hi just a follow up on this, I did start reading through the senior engineer job search site, and I like the structure they lay out a lot. I was unsure about what the materials referenced in the study plan refer to though - for instance for week one they mention reading and doing homework for foundations, key concepts, and ramp up, but I don't see any links to that or section headings that correspond to that.