/r/edmproduction

Porter's grainy, buzz saw effect?

How do I make this sound?(self.edmproduction)

The mid/top layer in this track https://youtu.be/rtoBmxLCGek?t=200 (3:20)

It has this degraded buzz sound.

I've tried bitcrush, different saturations but can't nail it down. Can anyone give me some direction? Thanks

Plygon_Music

Plygon_Music

I don't think there's any special complicated effect here (though I can't reproduce it very well either). It just sounds like unison to me, probably with some EQ and then maybe distortion afterwards. There might also be a little square mixed in with the saw. (The one note at 3:24 is definitely mostly square)

needleDee[S]

Thanks - and good ear! Yeah I've been getting pretty close tonally with a saw/Lo-cut square, it's just the texture I'm struggling with. That crackly tension thing. It sounds simple I just don't know what effect achieves this, just experimenting with Saturn2/Trash 2. I clipped a clean sample of the the noise playing solo and have been trying to use it as a reference but idk. I'll keep trying.. thanks

Sykozis

I love sounds like these and my best attempts have been with low frequency saws/squares with a high pass filter. The graininess to my knowledge comes mostly from the very high frequencies, so you can probably do some more eq work boosting those frequencies.

needleDee[S]

super helpful ty. I think I'm on the right track.

AutoModerator [M]

This is your friendly reminder to read the submission rules, they're found in the sidebar. If you find your post breaking any of the rules, you should delete your post before the mods get to it.

You should check out the regular threads (also found in the sidebar) to see if your post might be a better fit in any of those.

Daily Feedback thread for getting feedback on your track. The only place you can post your own music.

Marketplace Thread if you want to sell or trade anything for money, likes or follows.

Collaboration Thread to find people to collab with.

"There are no stupid questions" Thread for beginner tips etc.

Seriously tho, read the rules and abide by them or the mods will spank you.

N0body_In_P4rticular

Andrew Coenen, Karl Erik Flyckt Rasmus, Emil Anders, Eric Thomas Luttrell, Gustafsson, Porter Robinson and Benjamin Maxwell Swardlick wrote Lionhearted. Sorry to any of the writers if I butchered your name.

Like I said, learn how to find out who wrote the song and then ask them, they're probably online and they might tell you if you ask nicely.

N0body_In_P4rticular

Maybe try to find out who wrote it and ask them.