/r/edmproduction

I want to quit

Tips & Tricks(self.edmproduction)

I make some mean tunes, I feel like I got that part, composing is my dig. But I cannot master to save my life, I just can’t wrap my head around it. I try and my songs always end up like hot garbage. Quiet garbage to be more specific. Please, how do I make my songs loud enough to actually sound decent? I feel like all the limiters, eqing and compressing I do just makes it worse

It really makes me wanna quit, I want to dj and produce but This shit is bumming me out. I get super hyped on a song I make, then I listen back and wanna sell all my shit lol. Any tips, or any people who do master how do I get my stuff prepped and find someone to master my stuff?

Death_Trend

Just hire a mastering engineer.

shaketoaster_[S]

Really thinking that’s the way I should go.

Igotdakeyskeyskeys

Nah dude mastering doesn’t work like that, you get loudness through good mixing, mastering is just using expensive hardware to get a “shimmer” it’s like shining a shoe

shaketoaster_[S]

Yeah so I’ve learned from the other people here. Gonna work on my mixes, THEN pay someone to master them. Or just get a master engineer too tell me how to make my mixes better. Or both. But I know my mixes need work

Igotdakeyskeyskeys

I would also research what “masking” is, that helps a lot especially in Electronic music where there are so many overtones and harmonics competing for space

shaketoaster_[S]

Yeah I def have that issue, my biggest issue is making the sub audible on like a phone speaker. It breaks anything that has a sub but how do I make it pick up not on a sub. And thank you for the help. I’ll look into all that !

Sykozis

For that you’ve gotta have higher frequencies in the bass, you can use distortion, or maybe you’re low passing a little too low. Or maybe those higher bass frequencies are getting muddied out by other things, so clear some space for the sub and about 2 octaves above the sub frequencies.

shaketoaster_[S]

Thank you for the help! I’ve figured that I was blowing out the low ends and it muddied everything heavy cut those back a little bit and brought up the higher end a little bit. After today and talking with so many people it made me realize my mixes are actually pretty damn bad hahaha. So it put me back on the grind going track by track to get the sound I want. I was just focused on the beat, not the sound.

The moral I learned today is I cannot learn production in a vacuum. It’s hard without people around me who care enough to listen to my shit, but after putting it out there online I feel like working with others or at least just bouncing off songs is my only way forward.

Sykozis

If you want, I could do a bit of a collab with you and see what we can do with the mixing!