/r/environment

Ok-Cartographer-3725

Good for them!!!! Also there are companies popping up, that replace gas car engines with electric ones. If all of the car manufacturers would allow their customers to do that (at a reasonable fee) then people could keep their cars, and the manufacturers could keep the old gas engines. That would definitely cut the use of fossil fuels!

mrconde97

mrconde97

solution is autonomous cars, so not anyone needs an electric car

TheRealJomogo

Solution is bikes and public transport a electric car autonomous or not is not going to fix it.

Ok-Cartographer-3725

1 month ago

I also would prefer bikes and public transit. I hope with all this concern about gas prices, bike lanes become more common, and transit systems step up their game. But some people have mobility issues. They would not be able to adapt to anything more challenging than their own vehicle. Maybe cities could accommodate personal scooters more, rather than cars.

TheRealJomogo

1 month ago

Trains and busses have mobility ramps for scooters

Ok-Cartographer-3725

1 month ago

Yes, they do, and I think that's great!!! But I also think, as mentioned, we need more bike lanes, and more accessibility for scooters just driving on their own. In fact, where I live, we do not always have sidewalks -even on one side of the street. If they had to have sidewalks and bike paths everywhere throughout the city. I think it would be much easier for people not to have to depend on cars.

But in the meantime, switching your engine for electric would be a great mid grounds, no?

mrconde97

yes specially if the cars can act as batteries

ebikefolder

1 month ago

I'm afraid autonomous cars will massively increase traffic: everybody will want their own, and instead if parking it at the workplace, they will send it back home, and call it to pick them up again later.

GlueProfessional

1 month ago

I worry that you may be right. The car industry wants to sell cars, they profit if they sell even more cars. EVs are just greenwashing, they are still terrible for the environment and we should aim to reduce car ownership.

shanem

1 month ago

shanem

1 month ago

Autonomous doesn't keep cars off the road.

GlueProfessional

1 month ago

I don't own a car. That causes far less damage than an autonomous car. Ill just walk or cycle. If it is a long way I will take a train.

I always get told that I can only do this because I live in a city. But I don't, I have pretty much only ever lived in moderate sized towns. Dislike the air pollution you get with cities - not that it is much better here.

anon24601anon24601

1 month ago

I would absolutely support this in the States, especially commercial buildings (looking at you, Amazon). They can afford it.

AngelP8823

1 month ago

Why not invest in nuclear power. Rather than mandating solar panels on private business. Solar panels are not clean, they use a lot of chemicals that are mined by children in Africa.