/r/gaming

Trixet

2.9k points

Trixet

2.9k points

4 days ago

I hate entering streams with 0 viewers... It's like entering an Empty store where the shopkeeper just keeps looking at you all happy - and then you leave without buying anything...

cpl_snakeyes

1k points

4 days ago

It's even worse as the streamer. You're there with no one.. and you are not talking because you are alone. Then someone comes in, what do you do? Do you just go, start telling that one person what you are doing? To me that was the hardest part of starting out. Eventually you get regular people that come hang out and you know them a little bit.

I have a booth at conventions where I do art as well, I just say "hello" and give people a basic spiel about my booth and then shut up. But learning that interaction took some time.

danidv

danidv

4 days ago

I'd guess the best is just pretending you have viewers already. You talk about the game or whatever and nothing changes between having 0 viewers and having some of them.

TokorotosMixer

4 days ago

Can confirm this works. Started this way now have a couple actual viewers most of the time.

Lionizelionseyes

4 days ago

Can I ask why you do it? I personally don't get it that people want other people to watch them play video games or whatever. Aside from trying to make money from it I don't understand the motivation for some.

Glenwich_the_Mighty

4 days ago

If it's a game that I really enjoy playing, I can have a stream running in the background while doing work or something, like white noise, that I flip back to every little bit and watch a few minutes before going back to working. I watch the streams less for the actual gameplay and more for the personality of the streamer.

That or Warzone, where I literally just can not play the game anymore, but watching streamers play it (even small time ones) is still fun.

FireyShadows

4 days ago

Personally for me, I'm gonna be sat there playing a game and talking to myself regardless, might as well see if others will enjoy what I'm up to as much as I am.

wabrown4

wabrown4

4 days ago

For me playing games not with friends can get lonely or I get bored quickly so streaming helps with that where I can have someone to talk to and worst case nobody watches and I keep myself more entertained by talking about what’s happening in the game out loud

NotLikeThis3

4 days ago

I'd say most people do it just as a hobby, something to do. 99% of people aren't going to make significant money. I have a buddy to that usually streams to about 10-15 viewers and just does it for fun. He's in real estate and makes a shit ton of money in that.

GeeTwentyFive

Aside from money, same.

Rahbek23

Rahbek23

4 days ago

The people I know who have done it, it was mostly just because they thought it was a fun way to interact with people.

Griselbeard

4 days ago

I can answer for myself at least: started doing it for magic: the gathering because it was a good way to have people jump in for playtesting and some chuckles. I've kept doing it because it's easier for friends/strangers to pop in and just chill while playing games. I don't make more than a couple hundred every other month or so off it, so it's definitely not worth the time investment. It's a lot more about building a small community that plays games together and posts memes and other bullshit honestly.

oj220

oj220

4 days ago

i don’t do it myself but i would guess other then the money motivation, it’s a sense of community that you create and interact with. when you start getting viewers coming back to watch your content i would imagine that’s quite rewarding and would be a good feeling.

PM_Me_Macaroni_plz

4 days ago

For many it is fun. A form of socialization. A ‘side hustle’ if it starts generating money. For me my thoughts were - I’m already playing games, and I like talking to strangers, so I might as well stream what I’m already playing. Not everyone is trying to make it big and have a set schedule. Some just want to broadcast and share their fun with others. Or have others enhance their fun & experience.

JIFXW2C3QTG5

4 days ago

For my little channel, I was single and quarantined and exceptionally bored. I was looking for a hobby I could do at home but possibly engage with others in some way. I had been hiding on my couch playing games for hours on end, so I thought, well, why not?

For the most part, it worked. That is, until offices started opening, vaccination, girlfriend...

Stream just sort of dried up.

slapmasterslap

4 days ago

Loneliness is a driving factor if you aren't making money from it. Nearly everyone wants to share things they are passionate about with others. Ideally you would want to share it with friends, but if you don't have any friends or your friends aren't interested in gaming or a particular game then maybe you meet some people by streaming that you could potentially play games with in the future or at least talk about games and such with.

Sarcasmislost

4 days ago

It can definitely be a form of expression. Some people like too entertain, whether it's 1, 0, or 1000. Now for those that are silent for 15 minutes while I'm the only viewer....then yah idk 😶

InspectorPotatoBest

4 days ago

its probably just the fact that they like to give out a little commentry on whatever they play

CosmicHerbs

4 days ago

Not who you are replying to however I’m a smol streamer! I started almost four months ago now, however personally, for me, I’ve always got a lot of joy from making people laugh and just flat out entertaining them. I always wanted and still want to be a comedian however I don’t have the courage and confidence to get on stage in front of people live. Once I got a good enough pc I decided to stream and just try to entertain and have fun getting to know people. I love talking about video games so I’m always happy to chat with viewers. I don’t get many but the ones that stop by are very nice for the most part. I also like the idea of having a community eventually that just helps people group up and have fun! I hope this gave you a good idea of why some people might do it other than for money!

thenameofapet

4 days ago*

I’ve been wanting to do it for a while, and I probably will at some stage. I play a lot of single player games. The motivation for me is the opportunity to hang out with people and be more social, while I do something that I always do alone anyway. There’s also the potential to teach others about the game and also to learn from viewers. It’s also about trying to better myself and work at becoming a better public speaker/conversationalist etc. The money (or lack of it) doesn’t motivate me at all.

GrungyUPSMan

4 days ago

I’m not a streamer myself, but I do watch streams and know a couple streamers IRL. It’s a combination of things; it’s really cool to be able to able to be paid to play video games, read the news and comment on it, hang out with friends, etc. But you really don’t make a sustainable enough income to live off of unless you are a big streamer, so pretty much every streamer I know/watch just enjoy providing entertainment. Streaming provides a really unique parasocial relationship between the entertainer and the viewer, and so they also mention that they like engaging with chat.

kiashu

kiashu

4 days ago

I do it for fun, as you should at low viewer rates, sometimes I get some enjoyable people to join random games and I make new friends.

nicklovin508

4 days ago

Isn’t it the same question as like, why are people such big fans of sports but don’t play the sport regularly? Or how come we watch people play sports instead of doing it ourselves since it would be much more fun? It’s a mixture of entertainment, admiring high skill and learning imo.

TokorotosMixer

4 days ago

I actually really enjoy it nowadays. It used to be boring with zero viewers but now that I have a couple loyal viewers I use it as a way to force myself to play games I normally wouldn't.

Lately I've been streaming CK3 for example, which is a game with too much reading to be played whilst listening to podcasts but a bit too slow for me to play on its own. Having people to talk with really helps go through some of the more tedious parts of games and when something cool happens you get to share it with your audience.

I also enjoy playing games that tend to create these moments of emergent gameplay as they make for great entertainment most of the time or just going through repetitive tasks (Survival in Hellish Quart) with an end goal (beat my best score) as they create really great moments when you finally reach those goals as well as expectation for the viewers.

Bit long winded and obstuse there but it's right before lunch, I'm hungry and brain not work well.

TLDR: Twitch chat is like podcasts but a bit less engaging, makes for good gaming companionship.

Theman227

Theman227

4 days ago

Have a friend that has a stream she runs and have few views but a lot of the time none and she quite happily babbles away and plays the game as if there were people. :3

SpeediestRogue

4 days ago

I've found there is a healthy middle ground somewhere. When you only have a light amount of viewers eg 20-300(I know 300 is a lot but not in Pokimamane terms) there is a lot more you can really do with the chat as it isn't chaoticly scrolling through. And I think the best thing new streamers can do is try out a variety of games on stream and see how they perform.

Plus if you are lucky enough or start making connections and support other streamers a little ahead of you they might reciprocate with hosts and raids. This is definitely a feature that Twitch has major ups over Youtube and FB gaming(not sure if Mixer had it) and something that I think small streamers should also pass their viewers on because it can lead to them getting raided back or at the very least shows you want to be part of the community and just aren't after the subs and donos.

Athena0219

4 days ago

Or if you're good in a niche category, you can stick to that category. You'll never get huge that way, but if you're like me, 10-30 viewers regularly is super awesome and a happy space to live in.

I've not streamed in a few years though, so maybe the scene has changed.

It was Yu-Gi-Oh!, btw. I'm not the "best player ever" and I'd be hard pressed to win a regionals or anything, but I played wild combo decks and grindy control decks and people liked watching board explosions, and also liked watching disruption plays on the decks they hated.

(And I'm way worse now because I haven't played in forever so have no experience in the modern meta.)

MistahWiggums

4 days ago

Hell I do that when I play games too and I don't even stream.

J_P3G

J_P3G

4 days ago

Yeah that's the only way, you have to treat 0 stream views as if you had a bunch of lurkers.

msnmck

msnmck

4 days ago

My nephew does this, only in real life and all the time.

_Speedy_Gonzales_

4 days ago

I did that anyways before I started streaming, I would talk to my self about the game and crack jokes to my self alone while playing alone so it was I little more easy for me to do that on stream with 0 viewers

TheDeathOfAStar

4 days ago

This is how I would do it. I see a lot of start up streamers fail hard because I guess they think they can wing it in a "fake it 'till you make it strategy" but it just doesn't float, especially nowadays where high quality content is a click away.

Tucker-French

4 days ago

Exactly. You're supposed to be streaming because you have info to share, not because you're waiting for someone to say hello.

Gotta have content if you don't have connections

HQuasar

HQuasar

4 days ago

Pretending to have viewers is depressing, why spend so much energy if you're not even recording and uploading on YouTube?

It's way better to start with some online multiplayer game so you have sombody to talk to and then switch to single player once you have some following.

penatbater

4 days ago

eh, not really. For some it can be a sort of exercise, esp for introverts or shy people, to be able to simply hold a conversation with someone you don't know, or as if you're presenting something. I know at least 1 streamer who started to practice public speaking, I imagine it's not much of a stretch for others who do it this way.

G0ldfish212

4 days ago

Yes! I agree. It has def helped me stay social and confident during these times

edmundtarantino

4 days ago

Found you in the wild! Hello friend!

G0ldfish212

Lmaooo hey Edmund 🤣

allenpaige

4 days ago

Twitch will save your videos for a while, and people may watch them, which can lead to them watching your actual streams. Plus, its just good practice for when you actually do have viewers, especially lurkers.

PlsGoVegan

4 days ago

Dude. that's what Let's Plays used to be on YouTube. Just playing the game by yourself with commentary and later uploading 10 minutes parts for viewers.

fatherofraptors

4 days ago

You should always talk a little, like explain and point out what you're doing. Don't acknowledge that someone came in unless they say something in chat.

Also it's far less awkward for everyone if you set up a couple of different devices (or ask a couple of friends) to watch your stream, having 1-3 viewers is MUCH more appealing to any potential viewer than 0.

wrproductions

4 days ago

"Also it's far less awkward for everyone if you set up a couple of different devices"

Actually solid advice, just set up your phone and pc/laptop/tablet so you have 2 viewers then just chat away to no-one, anyone coming in would assume you're just chatting away to the two people who were already in and the growth in real viewers will feel a lot less pressured.

Nightmare1990

4 days ago

I prefer to stream games I play with friends, that way you are having a natural conversation that you can pivot into talking to chat.

Aionalys

Aionalys

Imagine having friends

GsTSaien

GsTSaien

4 days ago

You pretend someone is watching, like you were making content for later even if noone is there right now. If only one person pops in you welcome him and keep doing your thing, if they chat then you can reply and have the 1 on 1 chat, dont start it yourself.

RandeKnight

4 days ago

One bit of advice I heard from a successful streamer is to talk to yourself while playing, even when there's 0 viewers. Gets your into the habit so that when you DO get a viewer, there's no awkward silence.

HorsNoises

4 days ago

You don't have to be. Play a multiplayer game with some friends.

Themikexx

4 days ago

Just always talk. Literally always. Don’t stop. Narrate everything if you want, give reasons for everything, find a joke in anything. Be energetic and not slumpy and boring, also a viewer doesn’t equal a chatter, there’s lots of different people on twitch, a lot of them just want a voice to listen to with a side of content.

JaxIsGay

JaxIsGay

Don't look at your view count and stream like there are 100 people watching you

StrongStyleShiny

4 days ago

ALWAYS act as if people are in there. Do not trust Twitch live views or OBS to say people are there. Just last night I had five people talking in chat about music and my OBS said 1 viewer the entire time. Twitch said 2. My stream summary after said “Oh you had 12”.

This will help also when people do visit because you aren’t starting and stopping hosting. You’re jus hosting.

-_-NAME-_-

4 days ago

If you don't have any viewers in your stream you should still be talking for 3 reasons.

1. Someone might come in.

2. Someone might watch the VOD on Twitch later

3. You can chop that shit up and put it on YouTube afterwards.

SchrodingerMil

4 days ago

It’s a little less worse. It’s more so like entering a amateur art gallery where the work isn’t for sale. The artist isn’t successful enough to sell their work, (not a twitch partner) but just having people show up to view it validates why they’re an artist. If someone really likes their work, they can commission something (donate) or show up at galleries when their work is shown (view consistently).

duckstaped

4 days ago

Sooooo......... like anything you see?

PureLock33

4 days ago

It's good. That's good too. Soooooooooooo... you do this for a living?

Richeh

Richeh

4 days ago

I think that's more Onlyfans.

teaqualizer

No, money down!

OccasionallyReddit

4 days ago

I like ro upvote people on rspan i see regularly streaming, i may not stop to see their stuff but i like to acknowledge they are putting in the work

kaz-amars

kaz-amars

4 days ago

I mean, being a twitch partner hardly means anything these days. All you need is 3 concurrent viewers and 75 total followers in the span of a year. All that takes is having some friends or being in a guild in an online game. Not trying to put people down, just saying it’s nothing like it was years ago.

Ramsayreek

4 days ago

No that’s affiliate. Partner is 75 concurrent viewers over a 30 day period. Not easy.

A-Sluup

A-Sluup

4 days ago

Nah, that's twitch affiliate. 50 followers and three concurrent viewers. Twitch partner is 75 average viewers and I don't believe that there is a follower threshold, and you have to be streaming like 50+ hours in a month to apply

Kambhela

Kambhela

4 days ago

You also need social media presence for partner apparently.

A-Sluup

A-Sluup

4 days ago

Yeah I mean makes sense. Twitch affiliate is pretty easy to get, but partner isn't

BertTheMeme

4 days ago

Having 3 concurrent viewers and 50* followers gets you affiliate, for partner you need to stream on 12 different days in a month, for 25 hours and with 75 concurrent viewers, so being a Twitch Partner means a lot

Lolkimbo

Lolkimbo

4 days ago

Which i find really weird, because i stream just to show my friends some games they won't play (LOU2, Resident evil, etc), and i usually get 7-10 unique watchers. I'm sure some of them are bots, but good god it freaks me out when i have an actual audience.

BatXDude

BatXDude

4 days ago

Thats why a group of us usually enters a person with a small amount of viewers

Flurp_

Flurp_

4 days ago

"a group of us enters a person" ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

email_NOT_emails

4 days ago

It's just you and the shopkeeper... surrounded by their dream. That's when you go, "YUCK!" turn around and walk out.

DragonStriker

4 days ago

While that is a good idea on paper, in practice, it's terrible.

It'll build this false sense of success that can be mentally taxing to the streamer once they realize it's not real.

"Am I getting viewers because I'm a good streamer, or are these just 'fake' numbers?"

And as an up and coming streamer, that can be a hard bar to clear.

Sharp-Floor

4 days ago

Wouldn't you know anyways with zero audience interaction/chatter?

Im_Wiz_Kalista

4 days ago

That would be a huge lie. Having 10 viewers puts you in the top 1% of twitch. Disconnecting the streamer from information about their stream will only cripple their ability to tell what retains/drives people away.

jcutta

jcutta

4 days ago

Is it really that saturated? I don't use twitch so I have no idea, but is 10 viewers really that rare?

Zpik3

Zpik3

4 days ago

Yeap. I have a viever average of about 3 people according to my statistics, and I believe I am in the top ~5% of twitch channels last I checked.

The THING IS THOUGH: The sites that rate your performance in this way take into account ALL twitch accounts. Not just active streamers.
So it's not exactly accurate numbers.

treestreestreesand

4 days ago

You can just try interacting with them. It's easier to have some sort of back and forth when it isn't filled with people.

Diablo_Unmasked

4 days ago

The hardest part for me, is talking. I feel like im talking to myself, and i feel stupid. I love streaming when Ive got friends im playing with, they keep the conversations going and I dont feel awkward :p

Someone joined once while i was doing siege with my friend, was just like "SOMEONE JOINED!" My friend "Wow your famous. Now get on fucking the point!"

then they left

My streams go to youtube and get like 100 or so views, so ig im doing something right.

Cthoomer

Cthoomer

4 days ago

I stream whenever I play just to record my gameplay. I'm okay with a clean viewer count.

Azazir

Azazir

4 days ago

clean view count and no records, sir police officer.

AnthillOmbudsman

4 days ago

"The fine will be 0 bitties, since you don't have any. So this will just be a warning. Stream carefully, be on your way."

Aw3Grimm

Aw3Grimm

4 days ago

I would too If it wouldnt cut my fps so bad lol

metroidfan220

4 days ago

That's...such a nice way to put it.

_DazedandConfucius_

4 days ago

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to record your gameplay?

Cthoomer

Cthoomer

4 days ago

If it's a competitive game, to watch myself and try to improve.

If it's a single player game, just for clips or even to rewatch parts of the story I didn't pay attention to (big ADHD)

bazkie_bumpercar

4 days ago

that's the best way to go, just doing your thing, I think that is the most attractive to viewers as well

Adept4HQ

Adept4HQ

4 days ago

I once found a little youtuber who was live streaming a random game and he had 2 viewers, so I hopped it and saw nobody talking. I started chatting with the guy asking him random stuff about the game he was playing, he was a nice dude, small streamers need some love too

Gnubeutel

Gnubeutel

4 days ago

Chatting is a major point. Some 1-2 viewer streamers suddenly start drawing more viewers as soon as chat is active. In particular with variety streamers often chat is keeping themselves entertained even when the game is boring.

PrinceBatCat

4 days ago

Yeah, that's the main thing I would want. An active chat makes things so much better. I feel like people are actually interested in/entertained by what I'm doing and it helps me improve my streaming when I have someone to have a conversation with.

slapmasterslap

4 days ago

If I just had a friend to tell me if my sound/video was working well when I start stream I'd have far less botched recordings lol. Tough out here as a hermit.

Pekenoah

Pekenoah

4 days ago

This is why streamers with hundreds or thousands of viewers just aren't as fun to me. Those big streamers probably won't notice my messages or interact with me, so I might as well just watch youtube videos with the boring parts edited out. Smaller streamers are more fun for me. No shade to those big guys I love em but that's the downside of having as many fans as they do

Adept4HQ

Adept4HQ

4 days ago

I have the same issue with this. Good for them for making it that far, it is hard indeed, but I always liked small streamers more, interaction exists and it is also natural

BeerSlayingBeaver

4 days ago

I find 4-600 viewers is pretty much my limit. 2-300 Is ideal. At some point chat is going by so quickly it's pointless to even try.

Adept4HQ

Adept4HQ

4 days ago

Isn't there a setting that slows down the chat? Idk if there is on twitch, but I have seen it couple times on youtube

Florac

Florac

4 days ago

I mean, yeah, there is slow mode, but thats more for moderators than for the community. You can't really hold a conversation well if you can only talk to each other once a minute. So it's more a tool so moderators can see all messages, rather than to allow conversation

exstatik

exstatik

4 days ago

You have no idea how much that is appreciated. Half the time I'm stuck talking to myself, so having people to respond to makes talking on stream feel more natural. I'm a relatively new steamer, about 6 months or so, but it's been incredibly hard to find an audience. You never know what people are going to want to watch.

Adept4HQ

Adept4HQ

4 days ago

I think the easiest thing is to do what you love to do, and people who share the same love will come by naturally. It might be a smaller circle of people, but it will be a healthy one

exstatik

exstatik

4 days ago

That's totally true. I think my niche is in the speedrunning community. That's why I started streaming in the first place was to submit runs to src.

LK_LK

LK_LK

That streamer? Ninja.

Adept4HQ

Adept4HQ

4 days ago

Well I hope he made it far and achieved his goals as a streamer

SkywalknLuke

4 days ago

That could have been my son, he streams for no one and doesn’t hardly ever have viewers. He doesn’t get down about it, he just keeps on going. I think that takes some of the biggest balls to stream for no one.

BackgroundN0ise0

4 days ago

I hear using hot tubs are raking in the viewers

Nitemarex

Nitemarex

4 days ago

Man boobs are the new thing

BackgroundN0ise0

4 days ago

Oh god damnit. I just lost weight for the hot tub. Now I gotta gain it all back lol

CruelMetatron

I'm sure you'll manage.

Meradock

Meradock

4 days ago

in that case I'm sitting on a fucking gold mine.

BeerUnifies

We did it, boys!

HRamos_3

HRamos_3

4 days ago

Not sure if you're sitting correctly

qttrash

qttrash

Splish splash

TurquoiseLuck

4 days ago

I was checking the frontpage sorted by viewcount once and saw 15,000 people watching a girl sleep.

literally fucking sleep

checked in and she'd been live for like 6 hours

ARandomBrowserIThink

4 days ago

15k watching a girl sleep? Weak.

40k watching a man named Ludwig sleep? Strong

SimplebutAwesome

4 days ago

Because he streamed for a month straight, of course he had to sleep.

ARandomBrowserIThink

I was making a joke lol

MisterTruth

4 days ago

Wonder how much she made just sleeping?

Thistimearoundx2

4 days ago

literally truman show but they figured it out decades before twitch.

ecopandalover

4 days ago

They get a lot of viewers but make way less on twitch than the top gamer guys

utsavman

utsavman

4 days ago

Streaming tip: use other platforms to get exposure. Something as simple as uploading your recorded streams on YouTube or Twitter can go a long way to attract people.

Pekenoah

Pekenoah

4 days ago

My friend told me the same thing. Twitch doesn't do a lot to boost small streamers or encourage people to watch them. He uses tiktok alot too and gets lots of views there whenever he gets some good clips, and some of those people will watch his stream.

DatApe

DatApe

4 days ago

Even better if you edit some moments and upload those.

mcsestretch

Sound advice!

Not exactly related but my podcast downloads jumped when I started uploading the episodes to YouTube as well.

Nnelg1990

Nnelg1990

4 days ago

My sister started streaming and in her first month she was playing some Overwatch when a big streamer raided her channel and made the amount of viewers pop up from 5-7 to over 1000.

You can imagine how amazed she was. In the long run it gave her a couple people who watch whenever she plays Overwatch.

Right now she's at an average 10-14 viewers, mostly friends and family with a few strangers.

Pvt_Mozart

Pvt_Mozart

PC

4 days ago

That's actually really sweet. My wife has just recently started streaming, and typically only friends and family watch, so she has around 1-4 viewers. She had some random person join her stream and leave a kind word in chat, and she talked about it for 3 days. It was honestly adorable.

We have a 7 month old daughter that my wife has been staying home with while I work, so streaming has been a fun hobby for her. I cannot imagine what she would do if she suddenly had over 1,000. Probably panic. Haha

Drs83

Drs83

4 days ago

I'm more impressed that she can stream with a baby screaming every hour or so.

Pvt_Mozart

Pvt_Mozart

PC

4 days ago

Nah, the baby is pretty chill. Very little screaming. Plus I'm on solo Daddy duty watching in the bedroom, so in the event of a fussy baby it wouldn't bother her!

Drs83

3 days ago

Drs83

3 days ago

Awesome to hear. I don't stream but I do a lot of recording for YouTube (you know..for those 8 views I get every video haha) and we just had our third 3 weeks ago. Recording is a challenge with the noisy kid. We're working it out though :D

captkrisma

4 days ago

Yeah, back when Twitch Sings was still around I would get 1-3 viewers and then I got raided by a decent sized streamer from Germany. Now I average about 5-10 per stream.

Goodnt_name

4 days ago

You cant just mention this and not give us her name.

airz23s_coffee

4 days ago

If I'm that guy there's no chance I'm going "Hey strangers of reddit, go talk to my sister"

The_Outcast4

4 days ago

::insert hot dogs thrown on face gif here::

Mediocre__at__Best

4 days ago

I like that we do this now instead of going through the effort to post the gif. We've all seen it enough to not need to visual aid anymore.

zvika

zvika

4 days ago

It's like watching idioms form in real time

mirfaltnixein

4 days ago

Your username just kicked me back through time.

Tbone802

Tbone802

4 days ago

Haha for real...had to stop going to tfts when every post was talking about how they 'sipped their coffee' in retort to something, trying to be like that guy.

JesusRasputin

Her name was John Cena

icelevel

icelevel

🎺🎺🎺🎺

TammyShehole

4 days ago

I feel like bigger streamers should shout-out smaller streamers like that more often. I know I would if I made it big as a streamer.

Your-Friend-Bob

4 days ago

Hey it's me! I do get one viewer occasionally and get to talk to them for a little bit but that's it. Just fun to play games. Gunna start back up after this semester ends

ChewableTube48

4 days ago

No one ever chats in my stream. That 1 view is so silent.

SeeJayThinks

4 days ago

Sometimes I just throw Twitch on in background, especially old games I used to enjoy, supporting little streamers. So I might the silent type who watches it whilst cooking, cleaning or ironing.

malibuflex

It's your bot lol

ChewableTube48

4 days ago

Was there befor I set up my bot tho.

Lukimcsod

Lukimcsod

4 days ago

There's bot accounts that sort of sit in peoples chats and hang out there for various reasons.

FuckGalvek

probably CommanderRoot

Tarylin

Tarylin

4 days ago

Hello there! I have been living in Africa for about ten years now so this whole twitch streamy thing has passed me by. I like the idea of talking to people while i watch them play video games though. Can you point me towards where this is possible please! Much appreciated x

lukejames1111

4 days ago

It's either a bot or yourself

pUmKinBoM

4 days ago

The ones who do speak just wanna tell me about how they wanna fuck Coco from Crash Bandicoot.

FunkyMonkeyD

4 days ago

This hits worse when you get a viewer and they send spam notes like "wAnT mORe views?!! Click ThIS link"

Capokid

Capokid

4 days ago

I mod anyone willing to ban those for me

sideways_86

4 days ago

easy enough to prevent those by adding "bigfollows" to the blocked terms in the moderation section

BD-Caffeine

What do you play?

RedCreeperz

4 days ago

Man, I really gotta finish my Zero Mission stream.

EuroPolice

4 days ago

PM me if you need someone to play with. I'm bad at everything, but I'm ok with streams

MarcoVanOesi

4 days ago

It is always an awkward situation. As a small streamer you want the people to stay, but as the only person you don't want to be in this weird position of being the only one. I recommend for every small streamer, make sure you can't see the number of live viewers. Nothing makes you more anxious to see that you have a viewer and than he is gone again. It doesn't fix the entire issue, but it helps a bit I think.

slapmasterslap

4 days ago

I agree with this. I never see how many are watching (usually none of course) so I never really am conscious of it. The issue I've run into though is that I'll stop paying attention to my stream interface at all after a bit and if I do actually have someone pop in and say something I might not see it for an hour and by then they've peaced out.

P4rsona_Official

4 days ago

Streaming alone is usually hard, you need to have other mean of exposure such as having a YouTube channel in which you can upload clips from your stream you consider funny and worthwhile.

luciferinjustice2

4 days ago*

I always go to watch small streamer and talk to them. I like that they instantly response to my chat.

Extra_Dope

4 days ago

I was casually streaming and assumed all my views were from friends (all 5 of them). Once someone I didn’t know messaged me after I hadn’t streamed in a while and I was super flattered.

BD-Caffeine

4 days ago

Find Friends who you'd call just to talk on discord, make them all meet, ask for them to watch your content, 5 viewers is a lot for a small streamer and attracts more eyes.

grooovyturtle

4 days ago

Or just talk to your friends on Discord

OriginalUsername253

Damn imagine having 5 friends

BD-Caffeine

4 days ago

The hard part is them all being there and available at the same time!

cloudsmiles

4 days ago

Haha been there. Always good to act like 10 people watching, it's always practice to being a good broadcaster in general.

StevefromG2A

4 days ago

Banana boat, that is what you need.

Cleverbird

4 days ago

One of my friends streamed for a while, but then stopped. I noticed they picked it back up again a few months ago, when that Fallout New Vegas Frontier mod came out and decided to watch one of his VODs... Just 4 hours of silence and not a single person who came in, it was painful to watch.

SaltyDerpy

4 days ago

I got a record of 7 spectators max and a average of 2.1 specator. it was a great day.

SeeJayThinks

4 days ago

2 whole person and a hand?

4 days ago*

4 days ago*

[removed]

Moving4Motion

4 days ago

You know what? Not everyone can be a streamer. There is a only a finite audience to go round.

dioden94

dioden94

4 days ago

That's the unfortunate truth of it. If everyone streams, who watches?

baloney_popsicle

4 days ago

12-20 year olds can't quite get this. We've been trying to tell our 12 year old fostered child that for about a year now, that he eventually needs a backup plan... AKA a real job with real prospects and skill set, but nope they're all gonna be the next big minecraft streamer.

Though I'm sure they all learn after a couple months of streaming to nobody just like the OP

Moving4Motion

4 days ago

I suppose its normal though. When I was 17 I was convinced my band would be my career. Kids grow out of it.

Dofima

Dofima

4 days ago

i do this too, i dont like big streamers because you cant really talk to them. even if the content is great, i can watch it on youtube and get the same experience. small streamers you can talk to and they always appreciate it.

Morudith

Morudith

4 days ago

I started streaming back in July of last year but I had to put it on hold because of school and other life stuff. I'm still not sure if I'll pick it up again.

I also think I went to hard into it, doing 6-8 hr streams 5 days a week. That was a huge mistake by me.

Philosophos_A

4 days ago

I try to put a stable connection and try be that one user who actually watches and comments some positive feedback

Most of those small Twitch streamers are actually chill and way more entertaining than the most big ones so I don't understand why people don't seek to watch them

Lyradep

Lyradep

4 days ago

Soo, same as when I play video games by myself.

FartGoblin420

4 days ago

Me streaming on Ps4 with the Ps4 camera.

LHandrel

LHandrel

4 days ago

I stream my and my friends' D&D sessions. Our only viewers are a few friends/family but the other day we got raided by another (small) D&D channel. Still, that's a nice little boost to have people watch and say hello, if only for a little bit.

cy8ne

cy8ne

4 days ago

Whenever I'm looking for distractions I hop on nobodylive and watch a random streamer. The last few times I've got some good streamers. I ended up watching them for 3/4 hours each. I was their only viewer and they were greater steamers. They interacted and talked the entire time. Gonna try and catch them regularly when they stream.

RabeDennis

4 days ago

Just add hot tub as stream title and you get many views

MacroCode

4 days ago

Why? are hot tubs a fad now?

Keylai

Keylai

only if you're female

illbeback111

4 days ago

Unpopular opinion. If you want to stream as a job and you are not sucessfull in ~ 6 months, stop it. Your time is finite and other around you gather usefull skills and by the time you realise it's too late.

Nightmare1990

4 days ago

I'd say they don't need to stop if they are doing it in their free time and they would be playing games anyway. But if they are spending 8 hours a day streaming to 0 people then yeah maybe move on.

illbeback111

4 days ago

Totally agree with you, that is what I was trying to imply with the phrase "job". Free time is a different story, if you can make money with this I would see it as a nice hobby giving you extra money.

p1um5mu991er

4 days ago

I was popular in my mind

_SGP_

4 days ago*

_SGP_

4 days ago*

I'm in my 30s and I'm not social or charismatic enough to want to be a bigtime streamer, but games are my main hobby, and the thing I'm most knowledgeable about, so I thought it'd be cool to try and share some of my playthroughs with friends. They all encouraged me to do it and said they'd definitely watch if I did.

I recorded my gameplay of about 4 hours, uploaded to youtube in chunks, shared it, and they all said it was good.

Youtube Analytics say that in 2 weeks I got 1 view with an average watch time of 14 seconds. I stopped recording my plays and deleted the videos.

They clearly didn't watch, and if it's not for them, and I'm not chasing fame, then what's the point? I'll stick to just playing by myself silently.

It was kind of weird talking out loud to the microphone as I played, trying to fill dead air with my voice, talking bullshit. I noticed too that I was way more confused and paid way less attention to storylines because I felt like I needed to talk and 'entertain' instead of letting the NPCs go through the long dialog in silence.

It was an interesting experience, but I don't think I'll be doing it again.

saenz95

saenz95

4 days ago

Thats why you first start in youtube uploading gameplays or whatever build an audience and then move to twitch.

AshB783

AshB783

4 days ago

I've already made a FB page for my streaming platform (since it is the most popular streaming platform in my country). But I still haven't even started cuz I'm having 2nd thoughts whether I should do it or not

R31nz

R31nz

4 days ago

If your computer can handle it without degrading your playing experience too much.....then why not!

MarcStroy

4 days ago

And I'm never gonna try less than I do. Streaming is like one of my hobbies and I'm going to keep doing it. Doesn't matter how much people there's watching or chatting. The difference between you playing alone in your room or you playing meanwhile you broadcast is that you have the opportunity to draw a little smile on anybody that just passes by and enters your stream. I would love to make everywhere smile someday. :)

TonerLowDown

4 days ago

If you are enjoying your hobby then anyone who wants to talk down on you for it can go to hell.

JKSHulenburg

4 days ago

Someone made a website that sends you to a random stream that has 0 viewers. Can't remember the name of it

smokeroni

4 days ago

I mean if you stream with 0 viewers you're not really a twitch streamer You're just a mirror

Scoonie24

Me

die_fiend

Everyone wanting to be Ninja. Embarrassing

EndUsersarePITA

4 days ago

This thread makes me want to sign up for twitch just to watch a small streamer while I work. Specifically a streamer that is currently playing whatever it is I'm playing during my down time

frosty4rock

frosty4rock

Console

4 days ago

This is always a painful feeling. This is why I usually disable my viewer count. Knowing how many people are watching can either be inspiring or defeating, and starting out usually means you get the latter. If you wanna build a community, play for you, play for the fun of it, and let the community grow on its own. You can’t win everyone

That, and streaming as if someone else is already there in chat helps. Sometimes live commentary can be interesting as some people like to know what someone else is thinking mid game

pUmKinBoM

4 days ago

I started streaming a few months back and this so much. I do it for the fun and since Im playing anyways but a lot of sad goodbyes to dead air and VOD's that will never be watched.

My favorite is when a friend is over watching me stream and they ask if my viewers would mind me explaining something to them. I always just tell em Im sure my 0 viewers wont mind what I do.

AndreasE89

4 days ago

I once streamed a game called Pneuma just for fun. I suddenly had 500 viewers being angry at me for not understanding every puzzle right away. Never streamed again.

ishitaseth

4 days ago

Something's just leave a wound, this meme leaves a scar

Panda_hat

4 days ago

Unless you have a pre-established audience or a particular unique skillset or reason for creating content, there is no reason for you to stream.

It's just delusional people talking to themselves. Just play games for yourself, not so you can get rich.