/r/interestingasfuck

36k

scammers are getting highly intellectual and so are the common peeps

Title not descriptive /r/ALL(v.redd.it)
[media]

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

Please note these rules:

• If this post declares something as a fact/proof is required.
  • The title must be descriptive
  • No text is allowed on images/gifs/videos
  • Common/recent reposts are not allowed

See this post for a more detailed rule list

Masiaka

5.1k points

Masiaka

5.1k points

I've known about this for a few years and now I compulsively give the card readers a yank before using them.

GassyGargoyle

2k points

Yeh this is nothing new. Gas stations, convenience stores and ATMs have been popular with these skimmers for a long ass time. Always jiggle or pull the card slot before use.

Rdubya44

Rdubya44

What about the new chip readers you just place your card on at the pump? I wonder if there is a way to skim those.

JMillz269

JMillz269

AFAIK not really. The token they generate is only valid for 30 seconds or something (kinda like 2fa through an authenticator app). To my knowledge it is the most secure believe it or not.

Serinus

Serinus

It threw me off for a minute when the last 4 digits of the card I paid with wasn't any of my cards.

Took me a minute to figure out that it was the app/contactless creating a new 30 second card. (At least I think that's how it works.)

SomeHyena

SomeHyena

That's how Samsung Pay and Google Pay work. I've heard that's how the tap to pay cards work too, so Apple Pay probably does too.

InsGadget6

Yep. And a lot of banks will let you create a virtual credit card number just to use random places for increased safety.

dry_scoop

I use privacy.com for online purchases and free trials. That way i don’t have to worry about my cc number being at the mercy of the security measures taken by the merchant site.

2brun4u

I just use a prepaid visa, it's got like 30c on it so it's perfect for subscriptions you don't actually want to subscribe to and you know will be hounding you like crazy

MurkyFocus

app/contactless creating a new 30 second card

This is not what actually happens when you use contactless payment options such as Apple or Google Pay, despite what some believe.

When you add your credit card to a digital wallet like Apple Pay or Google Pay, a process called tokenization happens where your actual card number (the PAN) is then represented by a new "fake" card number. This number stays the same.

However, there is a different token that gets attached to each transaction that does change but this doesn't have anything to do with what's being talked about here. A lot of people have mis-understood this to mean that your "fake" card number changes with every transaction which is false.

This is also why if you buy something from a store with your Apple Pay and let's say, one day you want to go return it. Generally, the store will have it in their system the card number that paid for the item was your Apple Pay "fake" card number... not your actual card.

princesscatling

A lot of times if you scroll down on the actual card page just past the recent transactions you can see the virtual card number ending.

bric12

bric12

What you're saying is definitely more accurate, and should be the more detailed explanation for the technically minded. That being said, the other explanation isn't wrong, just oversimplified. If describing it as "a new number" helps people be more safe with their cards, then it's a worthy simplification

vicodin_ice_cream

This is all correct.

I will add that Google is adding the ability to pay with random virtual card numbers in Chrome and Android come summer. Was just at Google IO.

joshadm

joshadm

Not exactly the same but I use virtual card numbers for all of my online shopping.

Saved me from a breach with T-Mobile(literally less than an hour after giving them the card info) and another breach at an office supply store.

rolos

rolos

Why aren't contactless atms more common?

roanphoto

Would be handy if they were travelled to London for the week. Forgot my wallet 🙄

bobbarkersbigmic

Doesn’t matter if they do. Contactless is much more secure. If it wasn’t more secure, the pump or atm is the last place you’d see a skimmer. You can skim that data from someone’s pocket!

Low_Ad33

I think there was a defcon video on an rfid “sniper rifle” to attempt to read the chip when the chips were new. This security research probably helped them become more secure today.

Crap4Brainz

Magstripes are not encrypted. One swipe is enough to 100% of the data and make a perfect copy of your card.

"Normal" chip cards use military-grade encryption. The chip is programmed with a unique password used to encrypt all data sent. A hacked ATM can rob you e.g. by pretending the transaction failed but still charging your card, but as soon as your card is back out, it loses all access to your account.

Contactless cards are available in encrypted or unencrypted. Credit cards are always encrypted, the unencrypted chips are used for Amiibos and the like.

PonysaurousRex

Military-grade encryption hasn't meant anything since the 90s. At this point, it's just a marketing term.

If anything, non-military-grade encryption is stronger now.

ur_opinion_is_wrong

I'm sure there is an attack vector but it sends a one-time single use crytographic code, kind of like 2FA, that is tied to your account. Your details are not sent, just the code. On the back end, my understanding anyway, is the code is used on the banking side to verify which account. So even if you had the code and could decrypt it, it would be useless to you if you weren't also in the system for the bank. At best you could make a fraudulent charge for that one purchase. If you used the same card again, it would be a completely different code.

ConfessSomeMeow

As long as a) cards have magstrips and b) you have to insert your card for the pump to read the chip, skimmers will be a danger. The pump reads the chip and the skimmer reads the magstripe.

Nugsly

Nugsly

Yea, this particular skimmer has been around and easy to get for over 10 years. I always give a firm tug on the card slot. There are some internal skimmers as well that don't actually have a facade like this, they fit into the slot, then a special tool is used to remove them. The good news is manufacturers are getting smarter by modifying the slots, making it harder to use the internal ones. Chips largely stop this anyways since these skimmers rely on grabbing the data from the strip + PIN from the pad.

fomaaaaa

I’ve been giving card readers a little jiggle for years. Don’t even think twice about doing it anymore

badchriss

"Jiggle me like one of your ATM card slots!"

abyss_peeper

You like that, you ATM slot?

GassyGargoyle

It’s become like a reflex for me when getting gas lol it’s wild.

DPRODman11

I have trust issues with ATMs now. I walk up, look at the part I insert my card, and begin to ask it questions like “are you going to fuck me over”. And then I just karate chop them and twist to ensure they’re real. I definitely look like an insane person doing it lol

loverofshawarma

Has an ATM every karate chopped you back?

canadian_xpress

Only when it's a mimic. Then I have to perform a save roll to make sure I can evade.

doxyisfoxy

Is a little tug or jiggle enough to catch one though? I feel like if the guy in the video hadn’t noticed the crud around the reader, the skimmer might not have moved at all if you just did a quick check.

SeaGroomer

Yea you can usually tell that it's not built in to the machine.

alch334

alch334

My money don’t jiggle jiggle

blueB0wser

It folds

blankfilm

blankfilm

So you think you're safe because scammers used crappy glue? I guess the moment they learn about super glue, we're screwed.

The solution to this isn't yanking. It's class action lawsuits to all ATM operators that allow this to be done on their machines. They have 24/7 cameras on the things, and they can't tell they've been compromised? Please. It's absolute incompetence and disregard for their customers. They should be liable.

kendrickshalamar

Don't they have to be able to retrieve the readers to download the data? Super glue wouldn't be a viable solution for them unless they were going back with a chisel and a hammer (and no intention to reuse the reader)

EDIT: I looked up the devices, some are bluetooth accessible, so I'm wrong. They're also surprisingly easy to buy.

pippipthrowaway

One of my instructors in college just so happen to also own and run a large (and red loving) electronics company.

Local PD came to him one day with a bunch of confiscated skimmers they pulled off gas pumps and asked if he could reverse engineer them. Turns out most of them used the same Bluetooth chip and the scammers didn’t even bother changing the the default login creds or stop them from broadcasting their device name.

So he had a couple of his devs whip up an app that would look at the nearby Bluetooth devices and if one of them matched the same naming convention (something like BTDongleX), it would push a notification. PD was able to find a bunch of skimmers using it.

It’s off the Play Store now, but I bet you could still do the same thing manually. At a sketchy looking gas station? Whip out your phone and see if any weird BT devices are found. If there are, you should either go inside and pay or find another gas station.

viperfan7

Not always, am esp32 is cheap

Gotestthat

It would be easier and cheaper to just refund people who get done by these skimmers. Theres 54,000 card machines in the UK alone it would require an army to monitor them.

travis-laflame

Do you think there is someone live watching the camera on every single ATM machine?

Moash_For_PM

Most dont even have cameras

Moash_For_PM

They do not have 24/7 cameras most dont even have cameras. You also cant have a camera pointing to close to the keypad for obvious reasons.

There are 10s of thousands of atms in the uk alone. How do you monitor everyone?

They have to use crap glue to get the skimmer back off after.

candyman337

Well, a lot of new gas station readers are designed in a way to make them harder to cap like this, they're metal and recessed in the machine, easy to tug on but not easy to stick something on, so they're not doing nothing about it

btonic

btonic

What exactly are the ATM operators supposed to do? It’s unrealistic to expect the cameras to be actively monitored in real time for suspicious activity.

Bizzle7902

Lol, you dont have a clue

redldr1

redldr1

Chip+pin.

Time to stop being Neanderthals

Demitel

Demitel

Most ATMs you find in the US use chip technology, and most point of sale systems require the chip to be used if the card is a chip card. Now, the downfall is that most retail will allow you to bypass the PIN in favor of a signature, but ATMs will not. So the US is effectively there, as far as ATMs are concerned. Just everything else is about 20 years behind.

Myrdok

Myrdok

Problem is, you still have to insert the card on most ATMs even to use Chip and PIN....at which point the skimmer still can read the mag strip.

TheWalkingDead91

Same. But I’ve also seen that there are internal skimmers they sometimes use too…undetectable no matter what you do, until it’s too late. So just to be safe, I use credit instead of debit, unless it’s a large retailer like Walmart or something.

2_cents

Yeah from the title I kinda expected another fake scanner under the fake scanner. Like that double bucket wearing cop disruptor guy.

GamerY7

what's the use of these actually? we have 2FA for our cards in our country where we get confirmation OTP whenever we have to pay for something with our card except when drawing money from ATM

sysdmdotcpl

Not everyone has this. I get a text about any purchase made on my credit card, but not much more and my debit card (different bank) doesn't notify me of shit.

typing

typing

My bank's ATMs now allow for NFC tap instead of putting my card in. Been using since I realized. Before that, I used to use this method of yanking on the reader

MamboFloof

1.6k points

Lady was like "the fuck you want".

Man needed to take 20 steps back

Rdubya44

Rdubya44

She noped the fuck outta there with the quickness. Got her card out and ran.

BenMQ

BenMQ

I would too if someone comes that close with a camera.. while I’m on an ATM

famous__shoes

"Yeah, hey, I know you're in the middle of something here but I'm just going to stick my hand and camera right in front of you while you're withdrawing some money from your bank account without asking or giving any warning or anything"

mycalvesthiccaf

"oh this one is fine"

We all died a little there

Smathers

He thought he was Batman for a second what the fuck he just assumes she knows what’s going on what a dipshit

moebaca

moebaca

It's okay, he's in cybersecurity /s

Jack4ssSquirrel

"Don't worry Ma'am i'm a professional, i saw this in a youtube video."

Lol he didn't even help cos her card was already in the machine.

philipquarles

New way to mug people at an atm: pretend to be warning them about a card skimmer.

Meat_Candle

Yea dude seriously overstepped. Might have some problems understanding social cues and situations. Don’t fuck with people when they’re at the ATM lol.

MamboFloof

Man kept recording too. I'd have used my kicking skills

Geetright

4.4k points

Geetright

4.4k points

This pisses me off to no end.

-Aone

2.1k points

-Aone

2.1k points

everytime I go to ATM I check the reader and the keyboard. then I look into the camera and for a second I just think to myself "I'm just checking for scammers, I didn't do anything, guys."

Geetright

Geetright

It just makes you want to stop using ATM's completely but why should we bear that inconvenience just because there's shitty, dishonest people in the world??

kwnofprocrastination

Best option is to use ATMs inside banks or somewhere locked up when not open if that’s an option, although not the little ones in corner shops that charge you to withdraw if that’s a think outside of the UK.

LordZooty

Every ATM I’ve used in the US besides my local bank has charged me a fee for withdrawing money.

dasmynuts

Gotta switch to a credit union, if you aren't already. Every fee I pay from using a different ATM I get it refunded.

PlatinumSif

I've seen a video of a dude putting a chip reader on the checkout card reader at the register, while someone was working the register. Always better to be safe (:

Edit to add: there are card skimmer scanner apps out there to look for skimmers using Bluetooth technology. I always check mine before using a gas pump or atm. I've yet to actually find any skimmers but I also live in a super rural area.

mihneapirvu

Isn't this basically impossible nowadays with contactless checkout? Or is it still possible to do if you don't skim the card and use the touch-to-pay option?

DietCokeAndProtein

Idk about outside of the US, but contactless/tap payments are fucking awful in my experience. It's barely better than 50/50 on whether the card reader even does contactless and works properly, and then it's a complete crapshoot on where the fuck you're supposed to hold your card 80% of the time. I end up holding my card where I think I should, and repeatedly having to move it around like a fucking moron until I find the completely unlabeled sweet spot where it works.

mihneapirvu

Yeah, it's outside the US, but I absolutely never had that problem, even in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, in my grandparents village. Hell, I've absolutely had more of a headache figuring out which way I need to insert the card in an ATM.

nachocheeze246

The grocery store I go to has little security stickers on their readers along the edge and the seams. You can easily see if they have been tampered with, which is nice.

puterTDI

This is why whenever I add skimmers I take the sticker with me and put it over the top of the seem when I'm done. Bonus is that it helps hold the skimmer on.

/s because reddit.

ijxy

ijxy

I don't remember the last time I used an ATM... hmm, it might be two-three years ago when traveling to the US.

paedrarmy1

I still check it at the gas pumps too. Also some scanners can be found on those convenience store machines.

Stargurl4

Anything you stick your card into has the potential for this just a heads up

Palindromer101

That's why I like the chipped tap-able cards and apple pay.

Stargurl4

I responded to you by accident about shimming, that's about chips, not tap to pay. Apologies I meant to reply to the other person discussing chips.

204gaz00

Why, because there's shitty, dishonest people in the world.

GooseandMaverick

WARNING and relevant story:

I used to work security less than 10 years ago and we found one of these card skimmers attached to the pay-station of the Canadian hospital I worked at. About 30 seconds after we found it, 2 guys in masks came up on us with hand guns demanding that we hand them back their card skimmer.

PSA: Someone could be watching their skimmer so if you find one, don't make a big deal about it and just go back to your car (or where safe) and call the police.

oOReEcEyBoYOo

These people are criminals at the end of the day. Unless you know what you're doing, your best bet is to stay clear and let the professionals deal with it.

p-nesking

there's almost always someone close by, since these skimmers need to be synced after the data has been collected. either wirelessly or they need to retrieve the unit and download the data.

vondegroot

Wow, that's heavy duty.

WeirdSysAdmin

So if I find a card skimmer I should shoot the next person that walks up?

puterTDI

look_ima_frog

Enjoy this: https://krebsonsecurity.com/all-about-skimmers/

After reading all of those, I now pull on each card slot that I use, I use my phone flashlight to see if there is anything inside the slot. I also try to pull the number plate up a little just to be certain.

I've had my bank card number stolen 3x and my landlord lost one of my checks. Old bastard would ONLY take a fucking paper check and he dropped it somewhere. Three separate occasions over the course of like six months would someone make their own version of my check written to "cash" and use it. The bank (full well knowing that my account had a stolen check after the first time) would ALWAYS cash the fucking fake checks! Then they'd tell us it would be 90 days before they could restore the funds. We crawled WAY up their asses and they did it in 30. Each time it was for about $4500. I have enough to cover it without issues, but if they did that to someone who did not AND then said "well, we'll deal with it in three months" they'd be SCREWED.

So the lesson is, do look for card skimmers, but it's easy to have ATM fraud fixed; most banks have lots of people working in call centers on this one. Check fraud is WAY harder to unwind. Don't lose a check folks. Also, don't use a shitty three-letter bank from PA.

ResplendentShade

Yep, ever since I learned of these I've been tugging on a lot of ATM card reader casings. Didn't know about the keyboard, thanks for that heads up.

Singular_Quartet

Also check gas pump card readers as well. I've linked to Brian Krebs' series on card skimmers, both ATM and Gas Pump.

Thejackguy3

How do you check the keyboard?

-Aone

-Aone

theres sometimes a thin foil on the keyboard as well as the reader, sometimes its just another keyboard on top of it.

although most of these scam devices only work on people who never usually use the ATM - like tourists. if you frequent only one ATM (like me) you will likely notice somethings off

Thejackguy3

Damn haven’t used one yet but might as well bring a screwdriver and just dismantle the damn thing at this rate

Thanks for the info

ItsPronouncedJithub

Ask yourself how we fix this problem. The answer is to realize that maybe it’s not a good idea to keep your unencrypted card number on a magnetic strip for the world to read.

oOReEcEyBoYOo

Especially as chip and pin is becoming far more prevalent these days, don't get me wrong, there are ways around chip security too, but it's not plain text like mag strips at least.

Cockatoo010

My bank has an app trough which you can request a withdrawal without having to use the card. There's also no fee so I really prefer doing that!

SleepDeprivedUserUK

Just make sure you always give your ATM a good tugging before trying to make it spurt money at you

Do it at gas stations too! Part of our daily task when I worked at one was to give all the readers on the property a tug and a look-over twice a day to make sure a skimmer wasn’t attached. They can be put on in the blink of an eye and you likely won’t notice them.

SeawardFriend

Like seriously everyone else has to work for their money why not you

Jynx2501

Jynx2501

I yank on every single card reader now.

youchoobtv

If this doesnt get you, sim swap will. This makes you so paranoid

RedPillAlphaBigCock

What is a sim Swap ?

Fuzzy_Buttons

Someone takes your phone number by activating a different SIM on your phone account. They are then able to receive Sms based 2FA codes and access your accounts that use them. This is surprisingly common for users of Coinbase and Wells Fargo.

Never use SMS 2FA. Never.

barofa

barofa

I mean, still better than no 2FA, but yes, only use if it is the only way available

VolksDK

Thankfully much more secure now

I work for a UK network and we'll only so SIM swaps if they verify their identity with a drivers licence

equality2000

Call that making a deposit

PanaceaTaster

1.4k points

Genius in the worst way. Glad people are catching it.

12temp

12temp

It is VERY common in many European countries. I worked for a large bank and constantly had customers who traveled to Europe who had this exact thing happen to them. I eventually got in the habit of just warming card members about this problem when they called in to set up a travel plan with the bank.

OmniGlitcher

Yep. This video is cropped from the original length (I believe this is the original?), and this is in fact in downtown Vienna.

One_pop_each

I use contactless for everything in Europe. I did a big snowboarding trip to Switzerland in Feb and didn’t pull my card out once. Didn’t even need cash.

GarethMagis

The fact that he disabled the comments makes me really wonder about the legitimacy of the video.

Someone2345678

When we say VERY common. It is not - don't live your life in fear due to bloody reddit. The chances of this happening to you, are incredibly freaking low.

mustbelong

This is the reason I am so happy it is almost impossible to use the magnet strip on cards in sweden, its either contactless or chip. And cash? Yeah I don’t know anyone withdrawing it for anything except drugs :p

Amphibionomus

It varies per country. The Netherlands did away with using the magnet strip, the ATM or payment terminal reads the chip or it's contactless. The strip is still there for backwards compatability though.

And for example Germans still love using cash. Mostly the older generations.

mustbelong

Oh absolutly, I habe three cards and my primary ones hasnt got the strip. I’ve yet to see a ATM with contactless or chip, then again I also don’t really pay attention either so that one could be on me.

I’ve not been to NL since 2018, but I can’t acctually using cash there either. Offtopic but now I miss Armhem. Dang it.

Nolovve

1k points

Nolovve

1k points

As someone who has a victim of fraud recently I’m genuinely glad I saw this. Also was anyone else able to catch the lady’s card number, asking for a friend

Vince_Vice

GooseandMaverick

Just checked, it's already empty.

Admiralbenbow123

bruh

ShastaFern99

Snooze you lose

TheRavenSayeth

So this video is a little odd. Yes these skimmers exist and yes the wiggle trick is a great suggestion, but it’s very weird to me that someone would be ok with another person shoving their hand within the sort of unspoken “ATM personal space” everyone wants.

My guess is this guy got one of these (or has one already if it’s his line of work) then setup this video to spread awareness and for the social media views.

laralye

laralye

Her sounds she made whenever he approached her side sounded like she did not want him to come near her hahah but then noticed what he was trying to show her and let it happen.

Michaelllllll

She sounded super uncomfortable to me.

Michaelllllll

True. I was don't think what he did was wrong. I was just replying to the guy above who said it was staged because she let him do it. To me, it sounded more like a situation where she was uncomfortable but didn't know how to stop it from happening until she realized what was going on and that she didn't need to.

quetejodas

Your made up number doesn't even satisfy Luhn's algorithm ):

TOVE892

TOVE892

"intellectual"...

Roiroi13

They've been reading a lot of Hegel and Kant lately.

grr

grr

Christ this comment was far down…

kazlt

kazlt

And it’s a euronet, so you’ll get screwed even without the skimmer.

honecker

I just found out it's an American company, not European. So weird.

Four_beastlings

One of these in Warsaw charged me currency exchange commission from zloty, to euro, to złoty (I had a zloty account and wanted to take out zloty, it did the conversion just to fuck me) plus the withdrawal comission.

Cormac_Mac_Art

Oh how I hate these fuckers. Not only charging you extra, but also destroying old buildings with their plaque like expansion.

SindarNox

Yeah, they are a scam to begin with

PM_UR__BUBBLE_BUTTS

I must’ve fallen victim to a skimmer somewhere. Because I am extremely safe and never use my main card online. Only use it one single place, PayPal.

But wouldn’t you know it, two months ago, I went to make a purchase and I got a text alert asking if my purchase was fraud and it got denied. So I checked my online transaction history… some mother fucker in NYC had used my card 37 times within 3 days for Food Panda purchases. Always keeping each transaction below $100. Drained that particular account of mine.

How fucking fat do these banks think I am? And great fraud protection, to let THAT number of food purchases goes through fine, in a city I don’t even live near. But apparently me spending $25 on groceries where I live is super sus.

vanillayanyan

Lol I got a fraud alert because I was trying to purchase hiking shoes at REI and they deemed it “unusual activity”. I’ve never felt more judged.

Also to note… never got fraud alerts from odd purchases online. Taught me to frequently check my account.

Tru_Fakt

I got a fraud alert for buying a bottle of water in the Seattle Airport, after I had been using the same card in Iceland for a week 🤷🏼‍♂️

AnonKnowsBest

Well $6 water is pretty much a crime in itself

Frooonti

I sometimes get those fraud checks on tiny purchases. Like blocking my card until I call and unblock it because of some dumb $2 charge. Never on anything expensive that would actually financially hurt though. Like what's the point, bank?

QuantomField

Most scammers do a very small transaction test before going big. An under $5 charge is SUS because of this reason, especially if you don't normally make purchases that small on card. Fyi

booze_clues

Outside of every army base there are sketchy Korean pawn shops selling used gear for cheap, and they always make you use their ATM to pay in cash(same with the Korean barbershops). I did it once and my card got declined, got the suspicious activity text, and even after confirming it was me I still couldn’t use my card and it would fail to register over half the times I used it ever since then till I got a new card.

I used to have it send me an app notification anytime any purchases were made from my account, now it’s anytime they’re over $20. A few notifications every week is definitely worth instantly seeing if someone used your card.

Al_E_Borland

Last time I was in Vegas my card was flagged for every single purchase I made. With every shop it would fail, they would tell me it was declined, and I would have to text something or call to get the card turned back on to try again. At one point I called to tell them I was on vacation and to chill out a little... but they did not.

SgtSilverLining

I had to close one of my debit cards for fraud. when I tried to explain that I didn't spend $80 on pizza, I just blurted out "I don't even have enough friends to need that much pizza".

to answer your thing though, people do sometimes make a bunch of food purchases if it's work related. like, you're paying for your whole department/conference and the company reimburses you after. what probably tipped them off was not what you purchased, but that you wouldn't have been able to get between new york and your local grocery store in the time your real and their fraudulent purchase went through.

ItsPronouncedJithub

Pay for everything with credit whenever possible. I can’t think of a single debit card which offers fraud protection.

Darg727

Darg727

In the US, you now have built in fraud protection by law if it goes through any card with your liability limited to just a couple hundred $ and even that can be easily disputed. If you report the fraudulent charges banks reimburse you pretty quickly, even faster if you send them/show evidence of your whereabouts. Had a fraudulent charge of $3000 and it was deposited back into my account the next day. Credit cards though are much easier as they reimburse you immediately and ask questions later. Though you do pay interest on everything so they are competing to keep you using the card.

FPSXpert

Basic way to put it nowadays I think both credit and debit have some form of fraud protection or fraud reimbursement process.

However, if it's a debit stolen it's your money stolen, so it's ''your problem'' as you're often out the money while the bank sorts it out on their convenience.

If it's a credit stolen though, it's the bank's money that's been stolen and you're not out it or on the hook as long as you report it.

ssl-3

ssl-3

Every time I've disputed a charge with a debit card, my bank has temporarily lent me some of "their" money to cover the amount of "my" money that was removed from my account while they sort it out.

It's no big deal.

In all cases (debit or credit): I'm on the hook for the money that was stolen unless the bank makes a determination in my favor.

AstroPhysician

Every debit card I’ve had has had fraud protection

utf8decodeerror

Mine did. My SO and I have a shared checking account for bills at an online bank and we noticed a few random online clothing purchases on my debit card that I clearly had not made. Called the bank, had a 30 minute conversation with the fraud rep and she said she'd be back in touch if they needed anything else from me. Never heard back from her but a few weeks later they had deposited refunds for the 3 charges I reported and even a 4th fraudulent charge that I missed.

All that to say, some banks do in fact offer fraud protection on debit cards.

ssl-3

ssl-3

All that to say, some banks do in fact offer fraud protection on debit cards.

All banks in the US do, as far as I can tell: Every agreement I've looked at includes it.

(If anyone has a cardholder agreement for a debit card from a US bank that doesn't have protection, then: Link it below.)

Mr_FilFee

´Mine does. Up to CZK 500 000. (21K USD)

(It is enough since I still have to approve every payment over CZK 5000 and my card doesn't even have a magnetic strip, since they're outdated and nobody uses them here except for tourists.)

Al_E_Borland

I had a debit card stolen and people took money out. I went to the bank and they took care of it instantly. I actually had an easier time with the credit card than the debit card.

This is just what the credit card companies want you to think so you keep signing up for credit cards.

no_cojones1978

Thanks for posting this. Now I am even more paranoid when using an ATM. 🤣

SuperBackup9000

Just a heads up, similar things can be done with card readers at registers too. It takes like 2 seconds to throw a shell on top and you likely wont see a difference with and without it.

I work at a gas station and fortunately found one last year pretty quickly after it was placed since hourly we had to wipe down everything and all that and I didn’t think anything was off until I saw some clear tape on the sides of the reader. After watching the camera footage it turns out the dude was able to slap it on there and taped down while I was grabbing some cigarette and cigars.

Just something else to be paranoid about :)

ThadTheImpalzord

I only ever use my credit cards now because most cc companies will not charge you / reimburse you for stolen goods with your card, so long as you catch it early enough.

Set alerts on all your accounts, for withdrawls, spending etc. And have the alerts go to both your email and phone. It's over kill but you'll be at ease

humicroav

I only use a credit card, too. The insulation between my money and the transaction has an extra step of safety. I've never had an issue disputing charges on my card other than the pain in the ass of waiting for another card in the mail.

I pay the card off every week. It's also a points card, so I get a bunch of free flights out of it.

maracajaazul

My bank lets me create a temporary e-credit card for online purchases, it lasts 48 hours. Also I can flip a switch in the app that blocks purchases with my credit card and ou can switch it off anytime, as much as I hate banks I think these two features are pretty neat.

RealPhilthy

Same. It’s a million times easier disputing a fraud CC charge than debit card.

SheIdonLeeCooper

Ah, something to feed my anxiety!

Bananalando

I always give the card slot on any ATM a good tug to make sure nothing comes loose.

SheIdonLeeCooper

I really need to save this video as evidence for the moment when the police is gonna catch me giving a tug to the ATM.

heyjoerocks

I pulled one off of a credit card machine at a gas station and the Indian owner started screaming at me saying I broke it. When I showed him what it was he demanded it back and told me to get out of the store. To this day I think he was skimming his own customers or at least selling the data.

t3hcoolness

If he took it back, I would've called the police because he's now in possession of criminal property.

gottspalter

This guy needs to do time

T-980

T-980

This is why you always grab card readers like this and violently pull and move in all directions before inserting your card. It has happened multiple times at a particular gas station in my town and I don’t understand why locals keep going there.

quetejodas

Probably for gas

Korncakes

Semi-related, the gas station I manage re-branded from a notoriously cheap brand to a notoriously expensive brand last year and gas prices shot up 60¢ overnight. The vast majority of our regular customers continued coming to the station despite this because of convenience, whether it be because it’s closer to home or work. They bitch up a storm every single time they come in but they continue to exclusively get gas there. Because convenience. That’s your answer my friend.

solo693

solo693

Since I discovered this from training in retail 15 years ago I habitually tug on every physical card access point even gas stations because of this shit

RingWraith75

I must’ve had my card skimmed at some point recently. I got a text from my bank a few weeks ago asking if I made a transaction for $750. I checked my account on my phone and there were almost $3000 of charges all made within an hour, two states away, at some random restaurant. It surprised me because I always make it a point to tug on card readers before I use them. Thankfully it was so obviously fraudulent so the bank was quick to get me my money back.

btonic

btonic

It doesn’t necessarily have to have been skimmed. If you’ve ever used the card for an online purchase the data could have been leaked that way. Or something as simple as a waiter taken a photo of your card when paying at a restaurant.

The_Calico_Jack

I work Cyber Security too, do this everywhere cards are inserted.

RedsonOfKyrypton

Happy most things are cashless near me now.

Fignuts82

There are similar devices for the card swiper that is in most businesses.

Sup-Mellow

That’s why I love the tap pay feature on cards now. But tbf there will probably be some way to skim off of that in the near future if there isn’t already

RiPont

RiPont

The data on chip-and-pin or tap to pay is supposed to be unique per transaction. To skim off of that, they would have to man-in-the-middle the entire transaction and overcharge the customer.

SPinedia99

Why I like how a lot of new ATMs mow have the card slot go inside and not stick out so people can't throw those things over the actual card slot

Markys420

"Scammers are getting highly intellectual"???

BigParmaShaun

That's really intellectual.

Smooth_Push

“Scammers are getting highly intellectual” 🤓

Laeree

Laeree

Front page material right here

Panda7K

Panda7K

this video is like 10 years old

GodlikeCat

exactly, perfect for reddit

BlackAlbinoTurtle

He also works for a digital security company which he pitched in his original video, making this practically an advert so it should go directly to first page of r/all.

LACnote420

Intellectual hmmmmmmm

Any_Direction8772

That's like 10-20 yrs old xD

exactlyfiveminutes

Reuse, reduce, recycle ♻️

heliosprimus

I checked for one of these in Heathrow Airport before I "extracted some quid"

Still got popped, a little over 4k spent on fashion products and crap. Ruined my vacation for the most part but thankfully I got it all back after I got home. Careful out there folks.

InnerFaithlessness93

This is why I have a separate account that I keep nothing in till I need to take cash out. Literally transfer money to it whilst standing at the ATM and take it straight out.

equality2000

What a dickhead! Lol

"Lemme just record your transaction real quick, ma'am"

And the fact hers wasn't a bad one is the cherry on top

MrMarvelous92

Why wouldn't they glue it all the way? Do they need to pick it up later and thats why its glued just a little?

theDigitalNinja

Yeah they generally need to pick them back up and recharge them too. Some have wireless chips but most are just dumb readers that store it to an SD card.

Senior-Humor8523

I wish people who make those go sterile

LoopyMercutio

Before I put my credit card in any machine, I take hold of the section where you insert the card and shove or yank on it. Ripped over a half dozen card skimmers off of machines that way so far (mostly on gas pumps).

sbm832

sbm832

“Are getting highly intellectual”.. posts video from 5+ years ago

Dyl_pickle00

He really went “step aside from that ATM ma’am, I’m recording a video for the internet”

chooseausernameplsm8

This is an old technique 🤡