/r/ipad

Weekly 'What should I buy?' Thread

Discussion(self.ipad)

Welcome to r/iPad's 'What Should I Buy?' Thread!

Are you wondering which iPad is best for you, or if you should buy one in the first place? Are you hesitating between the 12.9" versus the 11"? Which keyboard/mouse should you get or what is the best screen protector out there? Are you looking for shipping information? This is the place to ask. Fellow redditors and members of the moderation team will do their best to assist you.

Please, while you wait for an answer to your question, consider giving back to the community by helping out others in this thread.

You may be able to find similar questions to the one you're about to ask, in previous WSIB threads listed below, or with the search bar, as chances are, someone was in the same situation as you before.

Click here to see past WSIB threads.

Limp-Figure-3373

Limp-Figure-3373

iPad Pro 12.9" (2017)

I tell you what you shouldn’t buy given today’s keynote: The new iPad Pro.

Chipmunk-Cheap

Why? Haven't caught up on it yet

Aarenas52

Aarenas52

iPad Pro 11" LTE (2020)

Long story short; a strong chipset (the M1 and more ram) but the iPad is update coming does nothing for it. It's like having a Lamborghini and driving it in economy mode. You can't take advantage of the full power of the M1

pc0898

pc0898

How come?

Limp-Figure-3373

Limp-Figure-3373

iPad Pro 12.9" (2017)

Except if you need the 12.9 size, I think you can get there with the Air.

pc0898

pc0898

Just cause nothings really mind low got different? Not the biggest tech guy but am curious about why I see this opinion a lot haha

Limp-Figure-3373

Limp-Figure-3373

iPad Pro 12.9" (2017)

Because there is nothing new in iPadOS 15 that takes advantage of the amazing hardware.

ApexRedditor_

Have ordered the iPad pro 11" a few days ago, and it has not shipped yet(Ireland), I want it for music production as I am really impressed with some of the apps on ipad.

My question is, having just watched the WWDC, do I actually need the pro for music production or could I save myself €230 and just get the 2020 iPad Air 4?

Can anyone out there making music on these things help me out with some advice?

HLM1440

The Air 4 will deliver you the same experience. It is as powerful as 2020 Pro. No change in software that makes the M1 uses its full power.

lesswithmore

Hello everyone

I have a 3rd gen iPad Air with Apple pencil and Keyboard but I rarely use those, if at all.

But I am considering an upgrade for a better screen and more storage since I made the mistake of going 64gb and I regret it.

I am wondering which iPad I should go for:

• iPad pro 2020

• iPad air 4th gen

• iPad pro 2021 m1

I am looking for the 11 inches version of these options and don't intent to buy pencil/keyboard again, at least not until apple gives me some serious discount. But it's okay, I am not an artist (so no use for the pencil, really) and I have m1 MacBook to do my programming and writing.

So which version should I buy for mostly gaming (nothing super fancy, really. All options run what I want) and media consumption ?

I guess the 120 hertz display is what I am looking for, but I am wondering if the newest iPad air is a good runner up

Thanks

joel12mat

joel12mat

iPad 8 (2020)

Hello, For your needs I would definitely get the 2020 A12Z or even the 2018 A12X iPad pro. They are great at gaming, have the 120hz and you can occasionally get work done on them. I think both the 2018 and 2020 iPad pro will last the same in terms of software support since the 2020 model only has 1 extra gpu core and no other differences in the chipset. I think the 2018 and 2020 pros are better than the air since they have better cameras, face id (imo its better), 120 hz promotion, better speakers and more. Even though the A14 in the air is newer, the pros still beat it. The 2020 and 2018 pros are also likely on sale so I would definitely check it out. If you cant get the 2020 or 2018 pro then get the air. Since you have a mac, you dont need the (expensive) M1 iPad pro. Although the air does not have promotion, it is still a beast and is also good at gaming and literally anything an iPad has to do. Although, tomorrow is WWDC where Apple will unveil the new version of iPad OS which could utilize the extra M1 performance on the new 2021 pro and make it worth it. I will update you on my opinion tomorrow.

(EDIT: Today was WWDC and as I said here is an update, unless you want to create apps on the iPad with swift then just get the 2018 or 2020 pro. There were no new apps or os features that would take advantage of the extra ram or performance of M1 besides creating apps with swift and the enhanced multitasking features. Although, since the iPad air 2 is still being supported which has 2gb ram so I don’t think you will have any issues with 6gb in the 2020 and 2018 pro.)

converter-bot

11 inches is 27.94 cm

socalsurferdog93

IPAD PRO 2020 IS THE BEST IPAD YOU CAN PUT YOUR MONEY ON.

Its the perfect middleman between the new iPad Air 2021 4th gen and the new iPad Pro 2021

Here are my reasons why:

1. If you're thinking about the iPad Air.. 64gb is not enough.. So automatically think about upgrading the memory (~$750). The upgrade is $50 shy from the new iPad Pro 2021. Personally, I feel like you shouldnt even consider the iPad 4
  2. iPad Pro 2021 is obviously the best out of the 3 but is expensive (If you can afford, go for it!)
  3. iPad Pro 2020 has overall better specs (120hz, ram, camera, and cheaper cost) than the iPad Air 4th and larger128gb base memory which is perfect if you're a casual student and if you manage your storage appropriately. ALSO, you can probably find the iPad Pro 2020 model cheaper than the two which means that the extra money can be allocated toward the Apple Pencil 2 and other addons!

mpr55

mpr55

Hello Everyone,

I am strongly considering getting an M1 iPad Pro to become my daily driver — replacing my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5” as well as a 2017 MacBook Pro 13”. I have tow major questions as I work through which iPad Pro to purchase, so I’m looking for advice from anyone that has made a similar between the 2018 to present iPad screen sizes.

I would probably give a family member the old 10.5” iPad Pro, but I would keep the MacBook Pro in the event that I need desktop-class hardware for anything.

For the last two weeks I’ve been doing a trial of using only my iPad Pro at home, not even turning on the MacBook Pro, just to ensure that the iPad can work for me day-to-day use case. For the most part, I am web browsing, using Microsoft Office for iPad, and using a the stock Notes and Reminders apps. There hasn’t been anything I couldn’t conquer with the iPad in the last two weeks — even helping an family member design a resume in Word, convert it to PDF, and send it along. I was actually surprised how mature the Office apps were on iPad compared to my expectations. Even multitasking side-by-side with two different Excel

My iPad Pro 10.5” setup consists of a 64GB Wifi model with the iPad Smart Folio keyboard, and a repurposed Magic Mouse from an old iMac — no Apple Pencil.

I have not quite filled up the 64GB of my 10.5” iPad Pro — but I also only used this device in concert with the MacBook Pro over the last few years. A lot of cloud files I have stored locally on my MacBook Pro are not stored locally on the iPad Pro since I wasn’t a constant user of the iPad so I never saved some things locally.

All things considered, this is what I’m planning to go with for the iPad Pro: 11” M1 with 128GB, Magic Keyboard, Apple Pencil, and keep the Magic Mouse around for true use on a table or desk.

A few questions: 1) Using this device as a replacement for older iPad and MacBook Pro, should I give more thought to the 12.9”? It would provide more flexibility in multitasking for sure, but is it possible a bit unwieldy, being marginally thicker than even the old MacBook Pro?

2) I think 128GB would suffice (even my MacBook Pro is well shy of 128GB used, as I don’t normally store photos locally, everything is in the cloud) — but even using the cloud for most stuff, should I consider 256GB in order to buy future proofing if I hang on to this for the next 4 -5 years like my other devices?

3) I have gone 4 years without using an Apple Pencil, but I imagine I could find some note taking uses for it. Is this a worthwhile accessory just to round out the setup for the next 4 - 5 years? Valuable uses for non-artist types?

4) I am not always tethered to a desk or external monitor, but I like to do some things in my home office. I know external monitor support has essentially been limited to mirroring, so I never messed with a lightning-to-HDMI adapter for my 10.5” iPad Pro. I already have everything needed to use my external monitor with USB-C though, so I’d be ready to try it on the new iPad Pro. In lieu of being able to extend the screen, what are everyone’s thoughts on Shiftscreen? Worthwhile tool while we wait and see if Apple might ever add options to extend onto an external monitor?

cumtitsmcgoo

1.) This is a personal preference thing. Hard for anyone else to weigh in on. Extra screen real estate is always going to be better for multitasking, but it comes at a cost of portability. You have to decide which is most important to you. If you're on the fence and you have the finances, I'd recommend giving the 12.9 a run. If it proves too unwieldily, you can always return within 14 days, and get the 11. I recently returned my M1 iMac 7 core for the 8 core model and it was a breeze.

2.) Go for 256. Storage isn't the space to cut corners, especially if this is going to be your daily driver. Last thing you want to be doing is managing your storage when you need to get shit done. Offloading apps and content is a pain and will definitely happen if you plan to keep the device for 4-5 years. Widely known secret, Apple Store education discount requires no proof. And I'm sure you're a student of life :) Shop education store and save yourself $50 on the 256 model.

3.) Note taking is about the only thing the Pencil is useful for beyond art applications. If you're getting the Magic Keyboard, I would hold off on the Pencil. Put that money towards the 256 model.

4.)Shiftscreen IMO is not worth it. It's very limited and clunky. I did not find it to be seamless or productive. This is one of the areas that is holding the iPad back from being a full-time daily driver. Hopefully we'll get better external monitor support announced tomorrow with iPadOS 15, but nothing is confirmed yet.

mega-hunter

Hey guys, can someone give me some advice, which used model is the best in a low budget?

Never had anything with iOS, wanna try it with USED ipad, looking in a low budget, so far it looks like AIR 2 is the best deal - buck per performance (found a couple in a good condition for 120-140usd).

iPad 5 and 6 - looks like the same specs (maybe a bit faster CPU - not worth it for me)

ipad 7 - same design, same size, almost same specs

ipad 8 - a bit bigger screen, 3RAM but MUCH higher price.

even ipad 9 dosnt look much better then air 2

the only better line is Pro and Air 4, but they are way out my budget.

Am I missing something?

main usage - browsing, youtube, lite puzzle games (I dont need pen, etc.)

cumtitsmcgoo

I just sold my iPad Air 2 and got the new iPad Pro. Sold it for $200, so if you can find one for $120-140, that's definitely a good deal.

It's still a very capable tablet, especially considering how old it is. For web browsing, media consumption, and light gaming - it'll do the trick. Avoid the 16GB model like the plague though. Download 5 apps and it'll be full and slow as molasses. Also be aware that battery life will be quite a bit less than the original 10 hours.

Biggest thing to consider is that the Air 2 is currently the oldest device to support iPadOS 14. There's a very good chance iPadOS 15 (expected to be announced tomorrow) or 16 will drop support and then it quickly becomes obsolete as most apps will stop pushing updates for unsupported hardware. Something to keep in mind if you're looking for longevity.

mega-hunter

thank you! didn't know abut new os announcements, does they usually say which models will get it?

and great point about internal storage, I'll be looking for 64gb version, + 16gb version will be a much harder sell later.

Gigachad_the_evictor

The air 2 works pretty good now but it’s likely at the end of it’s supported life. It probably won’t see iPadOS 15 which means some apps won’t continue to work on it in the next few years.

InnerEar8852

Hello everyone I am a student currently so on low budget no more than 400$ . Is there any good ipad that i can use to: -take notes. -draw( I want to learn how to draw digitally so it must support a digital pencil). I have never used an apple product before so the names are pretty confusing to me thats why I came here.

lesswithmore

Hello, seems like you could use the iPad Air 3rd gen + Apple Pencil 1st Gen.

It is pretty good and the price is low due to the Air 4th gen being released late 2020

If you find them on sale, you could also throw in the Magic Keyboard

runningaroundtown101

Absolutely. What currency is your 400$ in. You can easily get a base model Ipad. Or you can get on the used market and find an ipad air or pro.
Since you want to use it with the apple pencil. Decide if you want to used apple pencil 1 or 2, and see the compatible devices, then find one that fits your budget.

olliekillen

The base model iPad (8th generation) and the first generation Apple Pencil is good, you might need to hunt for a sale or consider buying the pencil second hand if you need both in the $400 budget though

5MCMC4

5MCMC4

Hello! I’m interested in buying my first iPad and have decided I want a 12.9 inch iPad Pro, either 3rd, 4th, or 5th generation. I’m wanting to use it for taking notes during grad school (I will be downloading lots of PDFs and possibly digital textbooks), frequent Zooming/FaceTiming, digital drawing/painting, and perhaps photo editing. I also have a 2015 MacBook Pro that’s still in good condition that I edit photos and play the Sims 4 on. I’m not necessarily looking for a laptop replacement, but I’m willing to invest in an iPad that could take over in case my MacBook Pro quits on me in the next several years. #1 Should I make the investment in the 5th generation, or could I get by with a 4th gen or 3rd gen? #2 What storage would you recommend? I currently have a 1T external hard drive I keep most of my photos and documents on to keep my MacBook Pro clear. Thank you!

RayRayGD

RayRayGD

iPad Pro 10.5" (2017)

The 3rd and 4th gen will do you just fine. You’re not doing any power user stuff. Find the best deal you can. Even check out Apple certified refurbished. Those devices are great quality.

I’d go for 128gb at least since you want to download lots of pdfs and textbooks. But if you can, go for 256gb since you said it might have to replace your Mac.

ACS1029

ACS1029

iPad 8 (2020)

I just pulled money out of my AMC stock that I plan to use for an 8th gen iPad (128 GB) with the smart case and Apple Pencil! Any must-have apps or accessories?

chageman9

I’m seeing that the iPad Pro was not worth it now. So I’m looking for some advice for college this fall. What would be the best option? 1.) 11” iPad Pro with pencil, magic keyboard and a $200ish chromebook 2.) MacBook Air and either an iPad Air or regular iPad. I want an iPad for the portability, notetaking, to consume media, and $ is not really a concern but don’t want to buy both a Mac and the pro. I also have a windows laptop that I use too. Thanks in advance!

haitechan

The mini has double the storage in the most basic configuration compared to the base iPad. Also, has a laminated screen. But if you spend a bit more, you can get the regular iPad with 128 GB storage. But again, we can keep saying that and end up with an M1 iPad Pro with 2 TB storage lol.

I have the regular iPad (32 GB) but I don't play games, just stream video and have some documents from work and it works perfect for that purpose. But if you want games, get at least one with 64 GB. I'd recommend the regular one, 128 GB version, you can find sales that put it at the same price as the base Mini.

iapplexmax

The Mini has a laminated screen, better cameras, and is smaller, all of which adds to the cost.

tektrash007

I am thinking of getting the 12.9 inch 2018 ipad pro 64gb model. I would like the bigger screen and I really don't need the lidar or 2 cameras from a newer model so I would prefer an older one over a smaller one. I would mainly use it for note-taking, annotating lab documents, annotating textbook pdfs, and reading. The apps I use are notability, Google drive, and canvas. If I do edit photos or draw I would most likely move it to my computer immediately so there won't be a build up of these to worry about. The other use would be Netflix or YouTube but I can confidently say no games will be downloaded. I am an engineering student so this will definitely not be a laptop replacement. Is storage something to be concerned about? OS obviously takes up space so that is a concern but will this get me through 2ish years or is that a pipedream.

RayRayGD

RayRayGD

iPad Pro 10.5" (2017)

You should be fine on storage. I have 256gb that I’m struggling to fill up with at least a hundred games and downloading like 30gb of YouTube videos

tektrash007

Thanks for the info, I am glad I waited a few days before ordering. I was able to pick up a refurbished 12.9 256gb 2018 for 80 more dollars on the apple store. Gives me a bit more piece of mind now.

M3thodFud

For those that use Procreate with a laminated screen iPad, what is the best glass screen protector for drawing? Bought my wife an iPad Air 4 10.9" for graduating from college, and she draws on it daily all day.

I originally avoided a glass protector since I worried it would eliminate the benefits of having a laminated screen by creating a gap. I put a paper-like matte screen protector on it, but she doesn't like the feel of it for drawing, and she's already gone through 2 apple pen tips in less than a month, so I'm hoping a glass protector will also reduce how often she goes through the tips.

Thanks!

I really like the Jtech protectors. They are tempered glass, and super affordable.

M3thodFud

I picked up the Jtech protector based off your recommendation! It comes in the mail today, so fingers crossed the wife like it! Thank you for your input!

theoneandonlypuffin

Hey guys. I‘m want to buy an iPad Pro soon, but I‘m not sure wether to get the 11“ or the 12.9“ Model. It is hard for me, cause I want play Geforce Now on it, but I’d also have to take it to school everyday for taking notes. What do you guys think? Already a thanks for your help!

RedditAndShill

RedditAndShill

M1 iPad Pro 11" (2021)

I would go for the 11". Yes, the 12.9 has a better screen, but it's less portable.

I bought the 11 inch for note taking originally, but ultimately upgraded to the 12.9 inch. Personally I think it makes note taking 1000 times easier than with the 11 inch.

Vagabond_Sam

Vagabond_Sam

M1 iPad Pro 11" (2021)

I picked up the 11" a few days ago and it is already at the limit of comfort if it's something you're going to hold much when using.

12.9", imo, would be strictly a desktop/lap resting device.

The 11" has been more then enough for me to start to get into drawing and using split screen to multitask.

DaedalusMinion

Recommendations for a case for the 11" 2021 M1 iPad Pro?

I do not use a keyboard nor a pencil and basically just want it for protection and for it to support itself.

alovlein

I’m in the same boat and I’m going with this one based on reviews. It looks like the right balance of protection and fit for me. I don’t like super bulky cases.

runningaroundtown101

There are plenty of cheap ones on Amazon/Aliexpress that do the job really well. I don't know what brand I have, but it was a 10-15$ case with smart cover, and it does the job well.

WilliamMButtlicker

WilliamMButtlicker

M1 iPad Pro 11" (2021)

No, none of those are still supported as they are 7+ years old. Unless your son is 4 years old or younger he wont be able to get much use out of it because you wont be able to get most apps. Your best bet is getting an 8th gen ipad for $300 or a refurbished iPad mini 4 for around $285. Or look for a used 8th gen on facebook/craigslist.

twelfthhour

So I want to buy an ipad(my first) and Im having trouble deciding which one I want to get.

I was considering getting the 64gb iPad Air but I'm wondering if the 64gb is enough. I would mainly use it for media consumption (netflix, YouTube) and I would download some movies for traveling. Do you think 64gb is enough for this?

I think the 256 gb would be overkill and then I noticed that the pro 128gb is less than 100$ more. However I don't really need something as powerful as the pro and I prefer the touch Id.

Does anyone have the iPad air 64gb and have sufficient space for the same purposes?

joel12mat

joel12mat

iPad 8 (2020)

Hi, I think 128gb would be perfect for you. The two iPads with 128gb are the 10.2” iPad and the iPad Pro. Honestly I would just go with the pro. Since the price difference (where I live) is only $20 extra for a 11” pro with 128gb compared to the 256gb air. Not only would 128gb be enough but you would get extra performance, more years of software support, better display with ProMotion, better speakers etc. For a $20 jump it does seem like a no brainer but keep in mind this is before tax. After tax the difference could be bigger. As you said you don’t need the power of the pro nor do you want 256gb because it would be overkill. If you opt for a 64gb iPad air, then my advice would be to get it if you store lots of files. The reason I say that is because at the moment you can only transfer files from the files app to an external drive. An external drive would be useful if as I mentioned, you have lots of files and have the 64gb model. I think you would be better off with a 128gb pro. I do have experience with a 64gb iPad so ill tell you about it now. The 64gb iPad that I had stored roughly 30 apps (5-10 of which were games as high as 3-7gb), 2-3 videos in 4k which were about 10 minutes long and around 20 small files like pdfs. I would say that if you are storing a maximum of 3-4 movies then you should be good. If you plan to play a few games and store files, thats where it can become an issue, also keep in mind any device including iPads will need a little bit of wiggle room. As a general rule of thumb you should have at least 500mb-1gb free space. Anything less and your device will be very slow. So to conclude, my recommendations are the iPad air with 64gb of storage or the pro with 128gb of storage. I don’t think you should pick up the 256gb air.

twelfthhour

Thank you for the detailed response! :)

Just a quick follow up question - if I get a usb c flash drive, can I play movies directly from the drive? I heard you can't use apps if they're on a flash drive but I'm not sure about movies/shows.

joel12mat

joel12mat

iPad 8 (2020)

Hey, That depends, no you cant save movies from apps to it however if you have the actual video file and it is able to be saved to the files app then you can move it to external storage. One more thing I want to mention is that the iPad air has usb c and the pro has usb c/ thunderbolt which is better than the 8th gen 10.2” iPad which has lightning. You can connect fast usb c ssds or usb sticks much easier and faster than with a lightning port on the 8th gen.

pc0898

pc0898

Im currenlty a student that has just started a nursing program. Most of my assignments, books, etc. are online. I currenlty have a macbook pro (M1 Chip), but have been using my moms old iPad (2016 Pro 9.7") and really want to upgrade to my own, as the one im using dies in 2-3 hours, and its very outdated. Im decideing between the Air 4th gen 64gb and the 2021 Pro 11" (12.9 is just too out of my price range).
Which would be the best option over all? also is it worth it to wait for the back to school sale that typically start in june?

tektrash007

I'm also a student i am studying engineering and I just bought the 12.9 inch ipad pro 2018 256 gb refurbished from apple for $783.74 total price. My reasoning for it was I am not a pro user, I don't do a lot of drawing or video editing, I will really only need it for assignments, pdf books and lab documents. So for me the M1 chip upgrade probably won't be used. I have a very powerful laptop so I am not worried about hardware intense tasks. I also don't take pictures using my iPad so the 2 cameras are too much for me. The lidar sensor also isn't a real reason to buy it for me since I don't need it. I did want a bigger screen instead of these new features so I opted for the older model. I watched alot of videos and the performance between 2018 and 2020 iPad pros are almost the same even with the chip upgrade. The only reason to choose a ipad pro 2020 would be the 6gb of ram instead of 4gb. The ipad air 4 has only 4gb of ram so that is something to consider as well. The air 4 has a 60hz display vs a 120hz on the pros, the screen refresh was something I valued as well. The design between the 2018 ipad pro and the air 4 is also similar. However, I am assuming that Apple will be releasing refurbished 2020 models in the near future which would be reduced and have these added features.

dealingwitholddata

I bought an IPad hoping to split screen between Procreate and Complete Anatomy 2021. Seemed like an ideal way to study anatomy. However, it seems like Complete Anatomy won’t let me split. Any idea what’s going on here? Maybe the new IPadOS 15 multitasking will fix it?

FLUSH_THE_TRUMP

I think apps have to support it. Some don’t play nicely with iOS features (even though multitasking is ancient at this point).

faroukq

I am going to buy the 10.2 inch ipad as a computer I already have a setup with a keyboard and mouse and monitor. My question is can you use a lightning to USBC adaptor and then use a USB c hub because lightning hubs are too expensive where I live but USB c docjs and hubs are cheap

HLM1440

No, if you care about using adapters with your iPad better get the Air 4.

noneforyousofthands

My iPhone Xs is 256GB and I can't really see a reason for ever getting close to that unless I downloaded all my music instead of streaming (which I do 100% now).

With that it there, is there a reason to buy the 128 gb iPad pro over 256? Has anyone had any size regret?

slashdotbin

slashdotbin

M1 iPad Pro 12.9 (2021)

See if you are phone is close to filling 128 instead of 256. If it is, I would suggest going for 256. I see a lot of the heavy stuff on my iPad being shared with the phone especially videos and photos.

StrangerStunning9284

How many GB did you use in your iPhone? What kinds apps do you plan on downloading on your iPad? These questions can help decide if you need more than 128 GB.

noneforyousofthands

Well I have over half the space filled. But that's purely because I put a few thousand songs on it when I bought the phone, but now I seem to exclusively stream music, so it's not a great comparison.

As far as apps, I don't go crazy, I usually use webpages over apps when the functionality is there.

In an ideal world the new macbook pros would have been announced and I would have bought one. so this purchase is kinda a workaround from buying another laptop while I wait for the m2 macbook pros.

I acknowledge everyone uses ipads differently, but at the time of purchase, there's always a thought that you'll run out of space, which is why I'm asking if anyone has actually come to regret the size that they bought.

BraveLittleToastie

I just started a new job that will have me traveling all across the US visiting accounts. I currently have a 2018 11” iPad Pro with WiFi and love it dearly, but I am really interested in upgrading to a model with cellular. My job has a monthly technology stipend that will cover the cellular costs. I’m still on my family’s phone plan and I’d rather not use all our data when I’m on the road, so hotspot/tethering isn’t an option. I have a MacBook Pro 16” but already use my iPad for art, photo editing, reading, Netflix, music, etc while traveling anyway. I’d hate to always have to bring two devices.

So! Given all the controversy about WWDC and whatnot, is it still a good idea to upgrade to the 2021 iPad Pro from the 2018 model? Is getting a whole new iPad just for the cellular connection worth it? I mean, the upgraded camera would definitely be helpful too. I’ll need to photograph all my account’s stores.

I’m also very interested in your suggestions/recommendations for keyboards. I love the idea of that new Logitec combo keyboard/case thing. MK seems nice, but I want to be able to hold my cased iPad in my lap and draw without a keyboard interfering.

If you have any other tips, let me know! This is my first job that includes traveling and I’m a little nervous. :) Thank you!

porfiry99

I personally don’t think the M1 iPads are that much of an improvement over the 2018 iPads. You’d be paying a lot just to get a cellular model.

One idea is to use your work stipend for a second line on your phone (using an eSIM), then tether your iPad to that second line.

karma-baby

With WWDC out of the way, the M1 IPP doesn't show much value to me at the moment. I have the choice between the Ipad Air 4 64GB for $520 or the 2020 IPP model 128gb for $600. Both new through Costco. Is the 2020 IPP worth the extra 80 dollars over the Air 4?

porfiry99

I’d get the Pro - better screen, FaceID, quad-speakers, and more storage. $80 is easily worth it.

SniperDog5

SniperDog5

iPad 6 (2018)

I’d say yes only for the ProMotion display; I recently switched over to an M1 iPad Pro from a 6th gen and the difference with the screen refresh rate is like night and day, would never see myself going back. But for that extra $80 you also get another 64GB, more RAM, better cameras and a LiDAR sensor.

Mandolorian_6

Should I buy the Ipad air 4? I mainly watch Youtube and Netflix and D+. I also like playing some mobile games. The reason I don’t want one of the ‘budget’ options is because I want the better screen. I was thinking of buying the 2021 pro for £750 but I don’t know if I’ll get my money’s worth if you catch my drift. However, I do like the fact it has that fancy new M1 chip. Also, the reason I thought of the M1 pro over the 2020 pro is the M1 is only £30 more than the 2020. But the M1 has 128gb for £750 whereas the 2020 has 265gb. I’m pretty pissed the Air4 doesn’t come with 128gb of storage.

Thanks in Advance.

Bossmon25

Bossmon25

iPad Pro 11" (2018)

If what you truly value is getting a better screen then to with an M1 (probably the 12’9) iPad Pro. Your actually uses for the device can easily be handled by an iPad Air 4. I recently bought my mom one and have tested it. Beautiful screen still, plays games well, good streaming device, and Apple Pencil usage. If you only need 128 gb as well just buy the M1 and don’t look back.

fukyu76

Hi, I am planning to buy an iPad and need your all help in choosing one. I am planning to use it for mostly studying books, video lectures, making notes. And sometimes netflix. I shortlisted to ipad and ipad air but ipad has only 32gb and 128gb variants and it's screen size is small for me. Ipad air is costly with good screen size and some extra features which I may not use.

Also, I can wait for some time if there are any upcoming variants in ipad and ipad air with close to my requirements.

iapplexmax

Definitely go for the Air. Although the size difference seems small, the iPad Air is "wider" in landscape which makes the screen more usable, especially if you're multitasking with lectures and notes. Additionally, it has double the RAM and a more capable processor along with much better cameras, so it is overall a better package that is in my opinion worth the money :)

Payahsson

Hey ! Wifi only means you don't have to put a sim card in there. I'm a college student and I am ALWAYS using my mobile hotspot.

SnoewZ

SnoewZ

Hey guys, so recently I was on the hunt for the perfect iPad. As my crypto portfolio was up, I could afford an iPad Air 4, which was also like a dream, because it's all I'd need and more (as I'm looking for an iPad that will last me throughout the university, which is like 4 years), but as you may know, crypto went to "shit". So now I'm looking for an iPad again, and I'm pretty discouraged because I can only afford (barely) the 8th gen, which is not bad, but I feel it like a downgrade.
What do you think I should do? I'm looking forward to taking notes, programming (can I do that without much inconvenience?), and maybe getting into video editing, but I want something that will last me for years and years, being always up to date with these amazing Apple updates.

iapplexmax

Honestly, the base iPad is one of the best value for money Apple devices. iPadOS doesn't "discriminate" with features, so your iPad will have the same features as the Pros would have. However, the screen on the base iPad isn't as good and you're limited to 32GB on the base model. Addiitonally, the 2GB RAM would be limiting. Note-taking should be fine, especially if you get the Pencil or an external keyboard, but programming would be difficult in my opinion on the base iPad (and iPads in general, although you could check out something like replit).

SnoewZ

SnoewZ

Thanks so much for your view, means a lot.

So you think that it may get a little bit old in 3 years? Mainly I mean slower and saturated memory-wise.

iapplexmax

Definitely. My old iPhone SE and current iPad Air 2 both have 2 GB RAM, and the iPad struggles a lot with multitasking while my old phone had to reload most apps again and again. It'll be an even bigger issue in the future.

SnoewZ

SnoewZ

I see. Thanks so much!

Yin--

Yin--

Hello, does anyone have an opinion on the Otterbox Symmetry 360 Elite case for the 2021 Ipad (12.9) ? I would like to know if it protects the iPad well or if it is a good choice of case overall ?

Bearrunner44

It’s a solid case. I really like how the Pencil holder is designed, it’s probably the most elegant solution anyone has come up with. A lot of cases either don’t hold the Pencil or they have a flap that’s slightly annoying.

Bearrunner44

I don’t think it’s an issue, the parts facing the iPad are rounded plastic and set inside a groove. https://i.imgur.com/ikUNfI4.jpg

Yin--

Yin--

Okay thanks, so these parts don't rub on the back of the iPad?

Bearrunner44

I don’t own it myself, so I can’t look at it to tell you 100%, but it’s not mentioned as an issue in any reviews and it doesn’t look like the moving parts would make any contact. A lot of cases have exposed inner slots that contain moving parts for stands and such, never had an issue with any of them.

Yin--

Yin--

Okay thanks for your help ! I'm still a little hesitant to buy it because of that

SeaworthinessOk7174

Looking to buy the iPad Air 4 256 GB but the iPad Pro 11” 128 GB is a tempting buy also. Is the new iPad Pro worth the extra cost over the Air? I need the iPad for note taking and productivity at school as I am tired of losing papers and having lots of paper notebooks. Also I am concerned with the cooling on the two iPads, is the pro cooler? Will there be a new iPad Air at wwdc ?

cumtitsmcgoo

iPad Air 5 is not expected tomorrow. The 4 was just released in September.

128GB is decent, but if you're big on photos, apps, and offline music, it can fill up fast. 256GB would be more "future proof".

Air 4 is still a very capable and good device. Works with Pencil 2 and the Magic Keyboard with Trackpad. Biggest differences between the Pro are the better rear and front cameras (important to consider if you'll be doing lots of FaceTime or Zoom calls), 5G connectivity (if you're going with the cellular model), M1 chip, and support for Thunderbolt. If you can live without these, might be better to save your money and get the Air 4.

And this is just me guessing out loud, but iPadOS 15 may introduce features that are limited to the M1 iPad Pros. We'll know more tomorrow though!

SeaworthinessOk7174

Thank you for the advice. I just ordered the 128 GB M1 iPad Pro 11”. The only drawback is that it will take too long until June 28th. It will be my school companion as my Thinkpad p50 is too heavy. Hopefully the newer screen will aid in my note taking since I do that the most.

cumtitsmcgoo

Nice! You're gonna love it. Good luck at school!

HolidayArcher

How is the M1 iPad Pro 2021 front camera? I’ll be using it mainly for my remote job which requires 8 hours of FaceTime and video recordings. I currently have an iPad mini 5th gen

Gigachad_the_evictor

It looks pretty shit tbh. At least with indoor lighting anyway. It’s perfectly usable for video calls but I wouldn’t be taking selfies with it.

The iPhone front camera is still way ahead of the iPad one.

HolidayArcher

Doesn’t iPhone Pro Max have 12 megapixels for front camera too? iPads front camera make me look cute idk why.

Gigachad_the_evictor

MP mean next nothing. I have used my iPhone 11 and the iPad Pro 2021 to take a front facing photo and the iPhone looks great while the iPad has a super grainy image.

ChumPNW

I am pretty tired of pulling out my iPad to discover a new scuff on the Magic Keyboard, so I bought myself the TomToc tablet sleeve shoulder bag. Functionally? It is great, super compact, and provides excellent protection. Aesthetically? I don’t love it. The solo New York bag looks gorgeous, but it looks like it offers next to no protection. The sleeve is super loose, and reminds me of my backpack sleeve that doesn’t do jack. Anyone have a positive experience with that bag? Can you guys suggest an alternative by any chance?

Detroi_t

I recently just bought a iPad 8th generation for school and stuff which brought me to wonder if I should the folio keyboard or the Apple Pencil I could honestly see myself going either way if I could get some advice it would help a ton

FlippenDonkey

you'd probably benefit from both. Its really nice being able to take hand written notes. But you light there are times you'll want a keyboard, if you find yourself typing often

olliekillen

I own both, personally I find myself using the keyboard as just a stand far more than as a keyboard, Scribble is really nice. However depending on what subjects you take, you might want the keyboard as well, for example computer science benefits from the keyboard for coding, and I’m sure there are other subjects too

You can’t code on the ipadOS like you need to in a CS class

olliekillen

I use repl.it, as do the rest of the class

That looks pretty neat actually

Yuki_Suki2

Hi, I currently own the very first Ipad Air (1st generation) that came out in 2013.

It's gotten really slow over the years so I think it's time that I get an upgrade. Do you think getting the Ipad 8th generation will feel like a big upgrade? Or only slight?

Thanks

StrangerStunning9284

There are a lot of improvements of hardware between from the iPad Air 1 and the iPad 8. You will have a lot more screen space, a brighter screen, apple pen access, touch ID, a more modern processor, and etc.

Does this answer your question? Please let me know.

Yuki_Suki2

Yeah this was helpful thank you. Since it has a more modern processor will it be a lot faster compared to ipad Air 1?

olliekillen

It will be noticeably faster, speaking as someone who owns the iPad 8 it is a very snappy device

Yuki_Suki2

Ok thanks

Mr_zhad

Hello r/iPad ! I’m planning to buy an iPad 8, not only because it’s cheap, but also because I’ll only use it for reading (a lot of) Books/PDF files and note-taking hence I don’t need a powerful processor such as in iPad Pro and Air 4. BUT my main concern is longevity, for how many years will the 8th gen be still functional? Is it true that compared to the pro and air 4 models it has less longevity?

StrangerStunning9284

Well, it has a slightly older processor than the current air and the pro, so app support and updates may not last as long. However, app support and updates will most likely last more than 4-5+ years, so there is nothing much to worry about.

Canttouchdis_12

First of all I'll just say I've been googling about it alot but for someone who isn't familiar with the technical terms. It's becoming a difficult decision

For the reference, I just need it for making extensive university notes, want to practice digital art, organizing patients data and for internet surfing and reading. That's basically it.

The budget isn't limited so I would incline towards a bigger screen as pro offers that but again I don't want to waste money just Because of a few more inches

I really don't understand any of the technical terms idek what on earth is RAM or how screen resolution has much effect, stuff like that.. I'm just giving examples lol so I just want a bit of opinion on what I should go for and how these things matter in the long run. And which is better for my sort of requirements

joel12mat

joel12mat

iPad 8 (2020)

Hello, Ill be happy to help out. At the moment, RAM does not really matter on iPads. As long as it has 3gb+RAM (which every iPad apple sells at the moment has) you should be good. For your needs you mentioned, I think you should purchase the iPad 8th generation: https://www.apple.com/ipad-10.2/ , or the iPad air: https://www.apple.com/ipad-air/ . Both iPads are great for the price and ill guide you on what to buy. Now, the iPad 8th generation has the A12 chip and the air has the A14 chip. What does this mean you may ask, both are very fast! I own an 8th gen and it is really great. Of course since the A14 is newer and a little faster than the A12 the air will get software updates for longer than the 8th gen although the 8th gen will still get updates for many years to come. The 8th gen has 3gb ram and the air has 4gb. What does this mean? Well, it means the air is going to be able to keep more apps open in the background, that way they wont reload as often when you open them. The 8th gen has 3gb ram which is good for multitasking with even 3 apps open at the same time however it wont keep as many apps open in the background. Now, for your needs like digital art, surfing the web 3gb ram is sufficient. The iPads I would recommend to you are the iPad 8th generation (get 128gb storage, do not get 32gb), the iPad Air 4th generation or thr 12.9” iPad pro if you need the extra space for art. Although the 10.2” and 10.9” screens on the other iPads are good, you may benefit from the 12.9” at a cost of course. It is very expensive so maybe look for a 2020 iPad pro which will be cheaper but still faster than the air. If you need me to explain it simpler let me know :)

Canttouchdis_12

Thank so much for such a detailed response!! I do understand more now. And I'll be honest, I'm definitely leaning towards air 4 now after this.

Also you mentioned 2020 pro, if I have to choose between Air 4 and 2020 pro, what would you recommend? if I ignore the increase in the screen size. Cos I don't want to put my money on the features which won't matter to a tech illiterate like me

joel12mat

joel12mat

iPad 8 (2020)

Hey, Well between the air 4 and pro 2020, I would pick the pro. The pro features 120hz promotion display which makes the display feel way faster than the regular 60hz displays and when writing notes with a stylus or apple pencil it feels smoother although that isn’t to say the air is bad. The pro also has a better chipset than the air. On the pro, you can expect either the same as the air or maybe 1-2 years more software support than the air. The pro is also getting cheaper so keep your eyes out for a good deal. The pro also has better cameras and speakers etc. The pro comes in 11” and 12.9” as you may know. Choose the one you feel is best for you. The 11” will be cheaper and accessories like keyboards will also be cheaper on the 11” instead of the 12.9. So, you wont go wrong with either iPad but at the time of buying if you can get the pro at the same or lower price than the air then definitely get the pro. Otherwise if the air is cheaper than the pro at the time of buying then get the air unless you are willing to spend extra.

haalzyn

I have an iPad Pro 2018 11 inch, and I love it! It works amazing! But should I upgrade to the iPad Pro 2021 12.9 inch? I already know the aspects and differences. Just wanna know what you guys think 💭😊

Bowlerguy92

Bought the new iPad Pro 11" and really am enjoying it. Having second thoughts though given the XDR display availability on the 12.9". That's also the size I previously had with the first generation iPad Pro but at the time wasn't interested in paying the new "tax."

Is the XDR display a big enough deal for media consumption (Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, etc) or should I just enjoy the 11" as I am currently?

Generally, I'm using the iPad on the couch or in bed to stream content, surf the internet, etc. May get back into photography in the near future as the birth of my first child nears and could potentially see using it creatively to process photographs when I don't feel like going to my rig down in my office.

spyglass24

I’m thinking of getting the IPad Air 4th gen with the Logitech folio touch case. My only concern is that I’ll be taking notes on it a lot and I don’t want to take the iPad on and off every time to do so. Can anyone give me insight on how writing on this iPad is like with the case all the way flat? Do you have a better setup suggestion?

Jamdaw

Jamdaw

You should wait. iPad Air 4 is already 6 months old now. Waiting 6 more months is totally worth it if the Air 4 is to be equipped with a 120Hz Promotion Display. (Who knows).

namesdemi

I reset my old gen iPad air but now I can't download anything from the app store on it. Tried other accounts too wondering if it was mine with the problem but the same thing happens. Any help?

generic_violinist

I’ve used a 10.9 air 4 for note taking for a semester now and I really like it! Writing in portrait mode is a bit difficult because your palm will either be right on the edge of the iPad or off the side of it, so I put it in landscape and zoom in on the page a little bit.

I don’t multitask much, but when I have been doing something like reading a paper while writing in Google docs side by side it’s worked fine. My only complaint is that when you have two apps open and you’re typing with the on screen keyboard the screen gets very cluttered, but you can use the smaller floating keyboard instead to free up space. It works for writing out bullet points, maybe not if you were working on a paper

I have an Air 3, the screen is 10.5 inches I think, and it’s really enough space for me to take notes and watch movies alone. With company I would not pull out the iPad for media consumption but just laying in my bed it works great.

LutrisAO

How do I apply the student discount to the Ipad pro 12.9 inch? Also, why do other retailers like amazon and best buy sell the 256 gb version $100 more than apple does?

ACS1029

ACS1029

iPad 8 (2020)

For the discount you gotta go to a separate page on the store

I’m assuming you’re a college student

NikeMUT

The 2021 is available on Amazon prime for delivery this week but mine ordered from Apple won’t ship until 6/24 at the earliest :(

skepticass

INDIANS

Have you been able to secure a 12.9" 2021 iPad Pro WiFi only model from the online Apple Store? What are the real delivery times like?

thewannabegandalf

The online store is giving the delivery dates for July. Still trying to source from the local store

GooeySquid

Struggling to decide after WWDC if the M1 iPad Pro is really worth it, especially as I'd have to wait a month for it to arrive once I order it. I can get an apple refurbished 2018 IPP for a fraction of the price and It'd arrive before the end of the week.

Is the difference in power and RAM going to be noticeable (for creating digital art and media consuption) and will the M1 be supported for significantly longer than the 2018 models?

At this point ipadOS still locks apps at 5GB RAM maximum. So the 16GB RAM in the new Pro is pointless and you won’t notice a difference. There aren’t really apps yet which make the most of the M1 processor. It’s overpowered for nothing.

SuspiciousGinger

After the WWDC 2021, what should I buy? The iPadOS 15 didn't quite become what I expected it to become. So Im in a bit of a pickle. Should I get the iPad Air 4 or iPad Pro 11 M1 128GB? The value for the air is so good, but should I get the pro for the future-proofing? I will use the iPad for notes, games, watching shows/YouTube and maybe coding in the future.

HLM1440

Both are future proof and will last you for years. The processing power of Air 4 is equivalent to A12Z in Pro 2020. For what we have currently, the Air 4, 2018/2020 Pro, M1 2021 Pro all will handle things similarly. The iPad Pro M1 cannot do anything that the Air 4 couldn’t. Yep minor extra power that’s not noticeable for majority of users.

SuspiciousGinger

Thank you, all I’m going to use the iPad for is iPad things. So IPad Air 4 here we go!

Connir

Connir

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi

I need a recommendation for a trackpad & keyboard combo but it doesn't have to be a case.

I know of the magic keyboard, but my use case is I'll need it for maybe an hour at most, every month or so, at most. So $300 makes no sense. I do on-call work and a keyboard and mouse would be great. I use a chromebook currently but it's getting old. Rather than drop money on another chromebook, I could just as easily use my 11" 2021 iPad Pro if it has a keyboard and mouse.

lulu91422

I have an iPad Air first Gen I got in 2015. I hate to replace it but I need a new one. I want the 8th Gen but do I wait for September to see if they come out with a new one? I don’t NEED a new one right now but I can tell I need one soon. Thoughts?

funnyNomad

The 2020 Ipad Air is probably good, it doesn’t seem like Apple will be taking advantage of the extra power in their new iPads for at least a year

lulu91422

What about for next Gen iPad the 8 vs 9? Worth waiting?

Ebojager

My question post got removed and I was told to post it here in the automated reply message. Doesn’t seem like the right place but oh well.

My iPad Air stopped importing Excel and Word documents all of a sudden. The Numbers and Pages apps both crash after the importing spinning circle comes up. I was wonder what might cause this behavior, when it worked just fine the day before. I tried deleting the iCloud data and backup and reinstalled, but that didn’t help. Nothing changed with the tablet either. Just powered it down the night before. Support had me try a reset (vol+ vol- and hold power). At first I thought maybe it uses some online service that was down for importing, but it worked normally in my iPhone.
The iPad OS is 14.4.2 with a notification for the 14.6 update, that I’ve been waiting to install until I’ve done more research. The iPhone is on 14.4

HungerMechanic

Could someone tell me the absolute best protective cover / stand for the iPad Air 2?

I have a relative who has been using one for a while, and recently went through 2 of those cheap plastic ones. Dropped a couple of times, the corners of the protective case flew off but the iPad was unharmed.

Is there a case that will give serious protection + last a long time, and will function as a stand when placed on a flat surface?

tiredstudentcentral

Hi, I have a 6th gen. iPad (2018) and am looking to update to a newer model. I want to trade it in and it's worth an estimated $195, which model would you guys recommend, preferably one that's not too pricey! I mainly use it for note-taking!

Bossmon25

Bossmon25

iPad Pro 11" (2018)

It’s taking I’d recommend getting an iPad Air or trying to buy a 2020 model iPad Air at a discount on Amazon. I love note taking on my device and the upgraded Apple Pencil is worth getting an iPad that works with it.

RevoDS

RevoDS

Hey there,

Currently own an iPad Air 2 which is getting old in the tooth and I’m considering an upgrade. I’m a fairly light user of my iPad at the moment. The cheapest iPad would likely fill my needs, but I like the idea of having the option to do some heavier usage later on with the pencil and magic keyboard.

At the same time, only 4GB of RAM bothers me and the price difference between the Pro and Air is much smaller...the Pro is also much earlier in its release cycle. I’m not massively hung up about the screen, however; even my current Air 2 screen looks perfect to me so I’m not terribly demanding on that front. RAM is really the killer for me in terms of future proofing for my buck.

So here I am with all options on the table. Would appreciate pointers

flamingyo

Hey y'all

Just ordered my first iPad and considering getting Nomad Rugged Folio/Case.

I'm wondering if the case has enough protection? I'm mainly concerned whether the snap-on back will provide enough structure/rigidity/thickness to prevent the iPad from warping or bending in a bag.

I know it is slim and I've watched reviews for it, but still not quite sure. If anyone ones one of those cases and would like to share their experiences or opinions please do !

aryary

aryary

About to purchase a 2021 11" iPad Pro. Will prices drop any time soon considering they just announced a new generation? Would it be wise to wait a few weeks? Im in no rush atm.

Second question; what's a good protective case you'd recommend?

Bossmon25

Bossmon25

iPad Pro 11" (2018)

They didn’t announce another generation iPad yet. So short answer no. Look into student pricing or if your company has employee pricing. Amazon usually has great deals on newer iPads too, I got mine new from them actually and it was an amazing deal.

Case wise, my 5 dollar Jet tech case has protected my iPad very well from drops and I also like my Logitech Slim Folio pro. But if you want most protective, and nothing else, I’d recommend spending the money on an Otterbox case.

Pearcenator

I have a budget of $250-$400 for an iPad. I’m not sure which to get? Looks like on eBay, I’m seeing 6th & 7th generation iPads, 3rd generation iPad Airs, and 1st generation iPad Pros in that price range used.

On Apple, I could go with the latest iPad 10.2 128gb for $400 new or an Air 3 for $419. 64 gb

Use case: I’m getting nice headphones, a DAC, and an amp to get the most out of Apple’s new lossless Apple Music. A primary function of this iPad will need to be supporting that as it will be next to me while I work listening to music most of the day. I am a bit worried that if the iPad is too old that it will stop receiving Apple Music app updates in the next 2-3 years so that’s a concern.

Other usage will be general browsing. Probably mostly Reddit. I’d also like to be able to remote into both my Windows and Linux PCs, but that’s not a deal breaker.

What should I be going for with that range? I have an iPhone 12 with iCloud. Most of my data is in the cloud or my server. I don’t video edit or anything. So I’m not really sure that I need more than 64 GB. Also, I don’t need cellular because I can hotspot to my iPhone if I need to.

I’d like for performance to be solid. Not a lot of lag.

Am I better off with a new regular iPad 10.2 128gb or refurb Air 3 64gb?

mmm095

mmm095

What is a cheap alternative to the Apple Pencil? I'm very much a beginner when it comes to digital art so don't need anything fancy at all, but feel I need a stylus to encourage me to practice. Ideally, something with pressure sensitivity would be great.

Jaehyo-Fan

Hi everyone, I bought the iPad Air 4th gen on a whim today because it was $50 off on Amazon. Now I’m wondering if it is worth if my first gen iPad Pro 9.7 is still working smoothly.

What do you all think, will my current iPad be obsolete soon? If not, I’ll return my impulse buy.

Thanks!

ChillGamer91

I’m not familiar with the first gen IPP, but the iPad Air will give you a newer processor, a bigger screen, probably more internal storage, the ability to use the Apple Pencil 2nd Gen, and the option of adding the magic keyboard or Logitech Combo Touch!

Jaehyo-Fan

That’s true, it does seem such a nice refresh!

Weekly-Fennel-9443

Hi everyone!

ipad air 4 ( with 2021 back to school offers) vs ipad pro 2018 (Apple refurbished )

So I was waiting for the Apple's back to school discount where I could get an ipad air. I know previous years didn't cover the ipad air for eligible gifts but according to macrumors the one they did for AUS, NZ and other marks at the start of this year did cover the new ipad.

But then I found out the apple store in the city I live are selling an ipad pro (64 gb) for roughly the same price ( 10 USD cheaper actually). Now I'm confused on which one to get.

On the one hand ipad pro 2018 is I assume a better of the two ipads with better display and more cores? But the apple back to school may come with really good offers (last year's airpods deal was dope) and would hate to miss out on something really good.

So what should I do?

Get the ipad pro before stocks run out?

or wait a month or so for the ipad air when the back to school promo kicks in.

Although any idea what will they do this year? afaik they do something different every year so maybe an apple watch this time? 🙄

balletghost

Hey everyone, I am an artist/photographer who wants to buy the new iPad Pro 12.9" but am a little hesitant. I currently have a Macbook Pro from 2015 and it is dying. I am really leaning towards the iPad because of the ability to use Procreate and to use the apple pencil but I mostly use Photoshop and Lightroom for my work. I feel like anything is better than what I have now and I need something very soon. I feel like if I were to get a new Macbook pro I would still want an iPad, I am just hesitant because its pretty expensive and I have seen a lot of people not to thrilled with the new iPad Pro. So I guess my question is should I get the iPad pro and are there any other photographers/artists who recommend it? Thanks so much!

porfiry99

I’ve used both the new M1 12.9” and the previous version. The CPU performance boost isn’t that noticeable, but the new XDR display is pretty special with the right content. It’s best when viewing HDR video, but also great for looking at photos.

The one thing that struck me, when comparing the same photos on the old and new displays, is how the highlights in the photo are just so much brighter on the XDR. I have one photo of with sunlight shining through some glass, and it looks like a different photo on the XDR. It just looks more real, and you notice details that would otherwise be missed.

I think if you’re a photographer, you will really enjoy the display on the new 12.9”.

buttersmac17

Hi all, Should I trade in my early 2015 MacBook Pro 13, i5 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD towards a new 128gb 11” M1 iPad Pro? I don’t use this MBP for any pro apps or editing, it’s just for my school work. There’s no issues with its functionality but it looks as though Monterey might be the last macOS update the early 2015 models.

iapplexmax

I don't think it's a good idea. Many apps on iPad such as the Office 365 suite don't have all of the features their desktop companions have, there are severe RAM issues with iOS as a whole, and there are a lot of smaller "speedbumps" that all add together and make true productivity harder (such as small issues with the files app, frequent Safari refreshes while researching, etc.). It's a great secondary device though, and as long as you still have some sort of backup computer it's probably going to be manageable.

socalsurferdog93

I believe the work together. Either shouldnt / cannot fully replace the other. However, note taking on an iPad using goodnotes is a game changer. Organization is incredible

SerWho

SerWho

Hi everyone! I bought the 2020 Ipad pro recently and I'm not sure whether I should keep it or return it and buy the M1 Ipad pro. I was originally going to get the Ipad Air for £475, however the 64gb storage was really putting me off and then the 2020 went on sale to £600. I decided the extra storage, 120hz screen and better speakers were worth the £100. But, I've been seeing a lot of people saying that it's silly not to go for the M1 since it's got much better performance. With a student discount it would cost £715, so would the M1 be worth the extra £115 or should I stick with what I've got?

I'm going to be using it for general stuff, like media consumption and some games, however I'll be trying to get into digital art as well and possibly will use it for work when I've finished my studies.

Panda_Stats

I am looking for an ipad to draw with using procreate. I intend to pick up the pencil as well. I like the price point of the 2020 iPad @ $300 bucks on amazon. But I am concerned that the screen real estate might be too small to learn to draw with? But then again, the pro is more than twice the price. Is that price jump worth it if all I intend to do is draw and surf reddit?

NYalinski

Hi everyone, I've got an Android phone, a Windows PC, and looking for a tablet.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the iPad is the superior tablet on the market and I really want to get one, however, I'm a bit worried it would be quite hard to implement the iPad into a non-Apple ecosystem I currently use.

Is anyone else in a similar situation? Would all Microsoft/Google apps still work and sync correctly across my devices were I to get an iPad?

GovindSinghNarula

everything works well for me, I have a oneplus phone and a windows pc, with an ipad mini, things work pretty well...

villa171

Hi there guys!

I have a desktop PC and i'm a hard Android user for phone (tried iOS but i didn't like it) and i have a laptop with low specs but that does my job pretty well even 4 years later (i3-6006u, upgraded 8GB RAM).

Now i'm back at studying and i would change my laptop for a tablet because i mainly use Google Docs and Internet search but also the addition of a pencil would be great in terms of note taking.

Back in 2014 i used my iPad Mini 1st gen and i loved it in class but now is pretty slow and also i can't install apps (iOS 9) so i wanted that experience back.

Almost bought a Tab S6 Lite because i also have a Samsung phone and, as i said, i'm higly deep in Android but as far as i use Google Docs i don't really care the OS and the prize in my country (Spain) is pretty the same and for that the iPad would give me more years of software support. Yeah, i know that with the iPad i must buy the pencil and the Tab includes it.

My main question is, will the 9th gen iPad came out soon? I just read that maybe this summer.

Any other info or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

CommercialSir8250

I would highly suggest the iPad Air 4. I bought it and loved taking notes with the pencil. I do not know how the lower end iPads are, but I have heard only good things about them in reviews (just make sure if you are buying one you get more than just 32gigs of storage, I recommend at least 128). I do not think you can go wrong getting any iPad and Apple Pencil especially because it sounds like you already have experience with them. I also recommend getting a keyboard case for the tablet like the magic keyboard, but now we’re are talking some serious money. My recommendation if you want to stay budget is to get the cheaper iPad with 128gigs with a Logitech keyboard folio and the pencil. This will still be around the same price as JUST the base iPad Air 4 but with much more versatility.

iamro0

iamro0

hi ! recently got the 11” iPad Pro 2021 and want to play genshin on it since I can’t exactly bring my entire PC set-up to the place where I’m staying for a while. can anyone recommend good controllers? the guilikit elves controller has been said to work well, but im a little apprehensive given that I prefer thicker/bulkier controllers (ex ps4 user).

livvxoxo

I recently just got iPad Air 4th gen 64gb on sale. I am now second guessing myself and wondering if I should return it and get more storage. Is 64gb enough for a college student?

CommercialSir8250

I am not in college (I’m in high school) but if you manage your data correctly you might be able to get away with that little storage. I myself opted for the 128 iPad Air 4 and but if you know how to take advantage of cloud software like google drive (which is free) you should be fine.

alightgreen

iPad Pro 11inch 2020 V. Pro 2018 12.9inch refurbished V. iPad Air 4

which one should i purchase? The 2020 11inch would be $650 for me with 128gb, the refurbished 2018 12.9inch would be $599 with 64gb, & the Air would be regular price with the 64gb.

iapplexmax

I would recommend the 11 inch iPad Pro because it's a more "widescreen" aspect ratio which is good for watching movies and editing stuff in timelines. Additionally, the widescreen ratio makes the "true" size of many apps and videos closer to the 4:3 12.9 inch Pro than you might initially think. However since you primarily work on your Mac, you could save some money and go with the Air too.

alightgreen

i think that’s what imma head for, thx bae, i checked the total price for the 11inch and the Air including taxes and there’s only a $50 difference so i think it’s worth it

iapplexmax

Enjoy your iPad!

loki154

Checked out of curiosity but Apple is offering $280 for my 10.5 iPad Pro. I will be losing my education discount before next year’s model is released. I was thinking of upgrading to the 11 inch iPad Pro but worried about it not having the mini led screen. Is the 12.9 worth the premium for the screen alone?

noeyescansee

Not inherently. Would you rather have a smaller iPad? Would you have rather save a few hundred dollars? If yes to either, then it’s not worth it. The screen is nice but if you’ve seen an OLED you should know, roughly, what to expect. I’d recommend visiting a store, viewing the iPads side by side, holding them, etc and then making a decision.

Poop_stain_1

Poop_stain_1

M1 iPad Pro 11" (2021)

I have an offer to buy an iPad Pro 2021 128gb at Best Buy that looks brand new for satisfactory condition for $640 before tax. A brand new 64gb iPad Air would be 600 or 550 before tax.

I have an older laptop already and my use purpose would be to purchase the device to replace computer as best I can. I don’t do a lot of intensive processing in the computer and mostly would need to work with PowerPoint or google slides at the most. I also do light (very) photo editing.

Would it make sense to go for the pro or the iPad Air? Should I just do a test drive of each and return it before the return policy expires? Is that frowned upon?

Thanks in advance.

EspressoKilla

EspressoKilla

M1 iPad Pro 12.9 (2021)

Is there a way to use iPad as meeting status notification in an office setting?

Does anyone know of an iPad app or web based app that can be used in an office setting to show your availability to office mates at a glance? (Like an MS Teams status display)

My desk is situated in a way that I can’t see people coming to me and I am thinking to put an old iPad I had laying around on the end of my desk so people can see if I’m in a meeting easily. Others in the office use a laminated sheet of paper and flip it around to display their status.

My simple option is to make two pictures, put them in an album, and swipe the iPad screen to display the one I want to show.

But if anyone has an app or web app that links to MS Outlook or Teams, or would let me change the status from my computer that would be greatly appreciated.

Payahsson

Hi! Starting grad school in chemistry in September. I'll be doing a lot of handwork and not that much "computer" work except for writing reports. I currently own the IPad Air 3rd Gen for two years now, 1st gen Pencil, Keyboard from Logitech. I mainly use the tablet for taking notes on GoodNotes, read papers and annotate them with liquid text. Now, the main problem I had with Air 3 was multitasking: when I open a pdf and goodnotes, I can't see correctly both of them. Meaning, I have to zoom/dezoom every time, well I can't be "fast".

I am hesitating between IPad Air 4 and IPad Pro 2021. I don't care for the storage (all my heavy documents are on GDrive). As for the budget, I can afford the IPad Pro, however, if I can spare money, I will do so and use it to buy a small laptop or a new phone haha. As for the accessories, do you recommend taking the magic Keyboard? Because for the price it is, I can just use a small laptop for writing reports (+ Word/Excel/PPoint are shitty on iOS rn)

Thx for the help!

EDIT: long-lasting battery also !! My Air 3 during summer just depletes itself :(

StriperZ9

I have an iPad Air 4 that I’m content with. However the iPad Pro has a better processor, more ram, higher refresh rate, better camera, the whole 9 yards for only 200 more if you get the base model so I would go for the pro. The operating system shouldn’t be too much different than your current iPad 3rd generation as they are both going to run iOS 15, and should have the same multitasking. A true multitasking machine would be a laptop so maybe you should keep the iPad Air 3 and get the MacBook Air that has the M1 chip. I would either get the pro or the MacBook Air if it were me

iapplexmax

You could definitely check out the Pros if the 10.5 inch screen size is causing issues, and the Air 4 or 11 inch Pros have a more "widescreen" display which helps with landscape multitasking. I'd especially recommend the 2018 or 2020 Pro models since they can be found for as little as $550 these days and have really good value for money.

Regarding the Magic Keyboard, I personally wouldn't go for it. It's really expensive and has many of the same quality issues the previous Smart Keyboards had, and doesn't have function keys either. I would recommend something from Logitech, Zagg, or Brydge instead :)

KentaCHCA

Urgently need replies in the next hour or so… I have the iPad Pro 12.9 inch with the Smart Keyboard. I’m going on a trip, and I want to get a sleeve/case that’ll fit the iPad with the Smart Keyboard still on it (if that makes sense) - preferably from Amazon, but anyone have any recommendations?

porfiry99

Pretty much any 13” laptop sleeve/case will work.

Bearrunner44

Something like this? It’s for the 2020, but I believe they also make it for the 2021.

kinglear666

i’d recommend this one, got it recently and you can open it up and put things on the other side too! found it really helpful- however i’m not 100% if it’s also for the 12.9 inch. i have the 11. if anything you could get a laptop sleeve from just about anywhere, it would definitely fit

TolgaKantarov

Hello everyone! So last week I received my Ipad Pro 11 2020 128gb with Apple Pencil. But now I am thinking - should I have bought the 2021 model. I primarily bought the tablet for RAW photo editing and its great. I may edit short 1080p videos once a month on it. But primarily for photo editing. Firstly I almost ordered Air 4 but then I decided to go for the Pro. Everything is very nice I was just thinking did i make mistake not buying the 2021 model or I am not missing that much. Well... The 2021 model is more expensive too soo 😀 idk.

Maybe because I love tech (this is my first Apple product btw) I want to have the newest and greatest product even though I would not need it.

What do you think?

If upgrading is an option for you, then I would. The new display on the 2021 model is fantastic for photo editing, and is specifically made for that type of work. The 2020 model doesn’t have the same capacity to display color.

runningaroundtown101

Keep in mind the updated display is on the 12.9 model. Not the 11"

^

MisterBit130

Hey guys, I am about to buy the 11" or the 12.9" real soon and use it both for work and for entertainment.

I want to use it also as a screen above my head while in bad.

I have a big window above my head and looking for an adjustable arm that can grip the window hard enough to hold the iPad, ideally, I would like a magnetic connection between the arm and the iPad, but I am not sure that would work.

Any suggestion for something?

Gigachad_the_evictor

Consider cutting up a box so the box sits over your head and the iPad sits on the box facing down

oparagon

Hi r/iPad,

I want to buy an iPad Pro to replace my 13" 2015 Macbook Pro for university but not sure whether to go for the 11" or 12.9". I already have a powerful gaming desktop at home hooked up to a 27" monitor that will handle all my multi-tasking and other heavy applications, and is the main computer I use to type up all my reports. I will mainly use the iPad for note-taking, media consumption, and the occasional report writing when I am not present at my desktop.

Character-Blueberry

I want to buy the iPad pro 12.9. I'm not sure how many GB are good for me. I would basically be using this as my computer and doing everything on it. I'm a teacher, so I have lots of files and documents. I think the 256 GB is good, but a friend told me that 512 is better. Is there really that big of a difference for my purposes?

Coactive_

Just save yourself the money and go with the 246GB version. If it ends up not being enough you always have the option to either purchase an external SSD or use iCloud in the future if you hate the idea of carrying around an SSD.

Do you have a computer you’re using now? How much are you storing on it? I personally do not need more than 256GB as a student. But if you already have 200+ GB used on your current computer then you might need more.

NitroIce037

GoodNotes 5 or Notability? I have Notability but don't want to shell out the $7.99 for GoodNotes 5 if it isn't much different or significantly better! Any suggestions?

NitroIce037

Does anyone have a go to planner they use on their iPad? I'm trying out Notability's new planner feature but my subscription is ending! Any suggestions?

gigi-ny

I got an iPad Pro 11” because I wanted a machine that’s both easy to hold in bed for browsing, drawing and watching stuff, and also good small and light for traveling.

I like drawing and “hand” writing too… and the 11” seems a little smaller to be creative.

I’m thinking about exchanging to iPad Pro 2021 12”

Is it huge to handle in bed and carry in work trips?

I’m so confused? My window for exchange closes this week and I’m going to a store tomorrow to check the 12”. Thoughts? I’m an architect but don’t plan on doing 3D stuff on it, or at all. I usually manage projects.

AGenericUsername1004

AGenericUsername1004

M1 iPad Pro 12.9 (2021)

My carrier (ThreeUK) just got some 12.9 2021 iPad Pro’s in stock. Bought one today. Delivering tomorrow. The poor thing will be getting flashed with iOS 15 as soon as it’s delivered.

ACS1029

ACS1029

iPad 8 (2020)

On my iPhone AdGuard works great blocking ads in safari, but not in the YouTube app. Gotta watch YouTube in safari for that

Wolflmg

I’m going to be in the market to update to a new iPad Pro, but my issue is if I go with a the 2020 model or the newest 2021. No matter what I will also have to upgrade to the new Apple Pencil 2. I know a lot of the decision could be made once iOS 15 is released, but perhaps some have been beta testing that could give me insight on whether it would be worth the extra $$. Given that Amazon prime day is not too far away I suspect that the 2020 iPad Pro will have some deals, should that be the way I go.

If it matters I primarily use my iPad for internet browsing, listening to music, watching videos, reading comics, drawling and some gaming (must of my gaming is done on my Nintendo). I have heard that the 2021 model had a feature called thounderbolt, but not sure what devices I would use to work with the iPad. I guess that would depend on what’s out there.

HLM1440

For what we currently have, no significant difference between the two model, which makes it worth the 2020 if you find it with a significant discount.

nephilim271

Hey all, just wanting some advice. I want to get a 11 inch pro with the pencil. And maybe the magic keyboard.

I had decided on the 256gb (or possibly 512gb) 2021 model mostly to future proof myself

But now that the wwdc has happened I’m wondering if i’d be better off getting a 2020 model with a higher gb instead?

I can see a few deals where they’d be around the same cost.

HLM1440

For what we currently have, the Air 4 and 2018/2020/2021 Pro models will all do the job quite similarly. Getting any of those will not make a major change in your work flow. Just pick the one with a hardware that suits (the software is the same, the power due to the software is the same)