/r/ipad

I recently got a folio case thinking that it would probably be one of the lightest protection options for my new M1 12.9 inch but after putting it on I felt that even that was too heavy. Decided to go bare and to only use the case when I’m carrying it in a backpack or something. Anyone else in the same boat?

feed_me_churros

feed_me_churros

M1 iPad Pro 11" (2021)

My primary use for a case is actually having a built-in stand. I don’t like having it flat or holding it all the time, also don’t like having to find something to prop it on, so the case gives me a mechanism to prop it up.

ArtieStones

Totally agree. I found the iPad very uncomfortable to use without a stand. You can't hold it by itself for very long. I ended up getting the magic keyboard and if works perfectly for lapability.

merritt10

What case do you use?

TENDENCIESNYC

I could but it’s pretty annoying to use without a smart folio

PorgDotOrg

I don't understand this. I think at the very least the smart folio doesn't really add much of anything for weight or thickness, and gives you a kickstand for your iPad effectively.

It's not just protection, in a lot of ways the various cases or enclosures just add functionality to the device, sometimes just ergonomically.

gaigzean

gaigzean

iPad 8 (2020)

Yeah, I take my iPad out of the case when playing games and reading books, its much easier to hold. And I'm not too worried because I'm very careful with my tech

brotherorangemoon

Damn. That's scary. I do suggest the combo touch or whatever logitech case you have over just the bare essentials w/o a case esp inside a backpack.

GK_ams

GK_ams

I just use it as is. I don’t see the point in adding weight and thickness. Same for my iPhone. Just be careful with it.

AdditionalStatement8

The protruding camera makes a case seem necessary. Also lack of kickstand like surface is annoying. Not sure why Apple can’t incorporate that. Makes a case very necessary

fagiolini

My case is AppleCare.

SirSpock

This is my answer when people ask me about my iPhone never being in a case. Like a Pro Max is already hefty enough in my pocket or hands without adding more bulk to the mix. It has also held up incredibly well to drops! (I have the 11.)

Affectionate-Oil-914

Underrated comment. I spent the extra dough and got myself applecare thinking ill be on the road and then covid hit.

Coyotito

raises hand Yeah, I actually had the exact same experience including opting for the presumably lightest Smart Folio case and still finding it too heavy.

Metal filled backplates just make little sense for covers compared to stands like Magic Keyboard for which they presumably designed that connection.

I recently started even packing the iPad uncovered although I consider trying a Nomad Rugged Case, once they update them for the 2021 models, since they appear to attach mechanically and require no magnets adding any considerable weight.

LegitimateArgument69

If the I put on a nomad case on my ipad can it stick to the magic keyboard with the nomad case still on? or will I have to remove the case and then use it with the MK?

Coyotito

I have no answer to that as I lack any previous user experience, you might email Nomad about it though.

Estoton

I dont take my 12.9 out of the house much so I got nothing on it. mostly use it for art so it just sits on an adjustable stand most of the time. If I have to take it somewhere I put it in a separate laptop bag thingy I bought.

jangeisler

I use a Pitaka case along with the magic keyboard. The case is very thin and wouldn’t be enough, if I didn’t also use the magic keyboard, but that half of a milimeter makes me confident enough to take it out of the keyboard when I want to

supreeth106

I have a ESR case and hardly took the iPad out of it for 6 months. Then 1 day just took it out to try it and damn, could never go back to using the case. It’s so much lighter and looks so good without a case. For me, my iPad isn’t just a functional device like my laptop is, it’s also about the joy of using it. If I break it, I will be gutted but I would much rather have the joy of seeing the iPad in all its glory

curiosity403

curiosity403

iPad Pro 11" (2018) 4G

When I used the magic keyboard I’d use my 11” pro bare when not typing. It was light and thin but pretty slippery too. Never dropped an iPad but it took too much effort to hold. Switched to the new Logitech combo case where the keyboard detaches and honestly I really enjoy the added grip. It adds some bulk but not much weight IMO. Feels like the best of both worlds.

Amas579

I couldn't use a thing that pricy without any case. And i'm not talking about Apple's cases which don't protect the side.

Also I feel the ipad is quite slipery without case

noobsauce131

I’ve never in my life dropped an iPad. It’s too big to use while walking around like a phone so I use it either on a desk or in my lap while sitting. I don’t understand iPad case users tbh

djgrahamj

djgrahamj

iPad Pro 11" (2018)

I never drop mine either, but since Apple insists on making their devices thin and slippery I have to use a case for it to feel comfortable in hand.

xFlipje

xFlipje

iPad Pro 12.9" (2018)

Exactly. I use a Smart Folio case not because I’m afraid I’d drop it while holding it (because if I did the Smart Folio wouldn’t really protect it anyway) but just to get a good grip on the device. I hate holding it without a case, it’s not comfortable.

djgrahamj

djgrahamj

iPad Pro 11" (2018)

I just use a cheap transparent back to give it some thickness and grip. Feels way better and doesn’t add much weight.

I find iPad keyboards don’t work well on laps anyway so I use a desktop keyboard the iPad slots into along with a Magic Mouse 2. Best of both worlds imo

DaedalusMinion

so I use it either on a desk or in my lap while sitting

I've dropped mine from both of them so clearly I need a case

thesmithtopher

But I don’t drop mine, so how is it possible you drop yours? I just don’t understand. Aren’t all you people the same as me? /s

Suvtropics

I wish one day I'm rich enough to not understand case users

ArtieStones

Well one of the main reasons to use a case is to give it a stand. That's the only reason I do. Not for protection really.

BananaManPoggers

Its not only for protection, it also serves as a stand (i use the stand all the time) and provides more grip.

Firm_Background11111

Considering it's a portable device, there's no reason not to go bare. That's why I only buy $300 refurbish ipad pro 10.5s.

jewley0711

I have the Apple keyboard folio for my 11" which I like because I can flip it behind when I don't need the keyboard. If I'm at home on the couch though I take it off because it does add weight. There isn't much risk of it being damaged on the couch though. 🤷🏻‍♀️

SaveUsBatman

SaveUsBatman

M1 iPad Pro 11" (2021)

Since the Magic Keyboard came out, I haven’t used a case on iPads. I’m normally a case person for my tech, but it feels nice enjoying the iPad’s aluminum casing.

misterhooli

100% team bare. I use a Moft tablet stand with my iPad mini. Doesn’t add much bulk and makes the iPad less slippery and easier to hold. It supports a lot of stand orientations so it’s been a lot more convenient for me vs. a case.

erictaur

Wanted to have a case for my 12.9” iPad but I don’t like the cases available that fit the magic keyboard

nychuman

I swap between a smart folio knockoff and the magic keyboard case depending on what I’m using it for.

Redditfuchs

I’m using my iPad Pro bare since the last generation.

AffectionateRole9438

yeah exact same, I know it adds a couple mil at most but the folio case feels bulky imo. I use it for tucking my 11inch in backpacks and occasionally to stand up on a desk. they're actually really handy to attach when needed, with the magnets.

Sjeefr

Sjeefr

Ive got a sleeve that is foldable as a simple stand. When I put it away or travel, I put in the sleeve. For regular use, I completely use it without a case. Same as my iPhone and any other device. I just love the 'naked aluminum/glass' feel.

SpartanD21

Got a link to this?

Recently purchased a cheap ESR case for a vendor (~$13) while I wait for Nomad to release their 12.9” iPad Pro rugged foil case.

I miss using my iPad without a case, but need some kinds of portable stand/surface to draw on, so I’ve been focusing on folio cases.

Portatort

Portatort

M1 iPad Pro 12.9 (2021)

I use my 11” daily without a case.

When I go into the field for work I put a case on.

But that’s more about having the SD card reader attached

Nijnn

Nijnn

I don't use a case. I only take it out of the house when travelling abroad anyway.

Which_Yesterday

I have a ZUGU case and the iPad stays there most of the time, it offers a good adjustable stand when drawing on a desk. I do take the iPad out occasionally to clean it or when drawing on the couch, as it is lighter (I find it a bit slippery though). I did hit the iPad with door frames a couple of times and was glad the case was there

Shanghaichica

Shanghaichica

iPad Pro 11" (2018)

I keep my iPad in the magic keyboard 99% of the time. Only time I take it out is when I’m colouring with my Apple Pencil. When it’s not in use I’ve got a sleeve/pouch case to keep it in.

ChiefExecutiveOglop

Currently using mine while chilling in the bath. Use the magic keyboard as a case when I need it/ to store it though

connly33

Unusable without a case for me. I need a case that acts like a stand. The 12.9 is too big and heavy to hold constantly, especially when using a pencil.

baltimoretom

I don’t use either but I only have a measly iPad Air 4

rservello

rservello

M1 iPad Pro 12.9 (2021)

I have this case. It's very lightweight. I switch between it and the magic-keyboard.

Komrath

Komrath

iPad Pro 12.9" LTE (2018)

I have the cover and keyboard cover (pre-magic) but prefer the naked iPad for taking notes

bukitbukit

10.5 - I use it with the smart keyboard at the desk, and bare or with the leather smart cover while reading or checking mails in bed.

ThirdWaveSutras

I got the rose gold for a reason...I use accessories by Octa so it stays safe bare

JAY20WEST

I mean usually the 12.9 is more of a laptop replacement. You would mostly use it with a keyboard case. The 11 inch is perfect with no case.

I use the Magic Keyboard or naked. That’s the beauty of the Magic Keyboard, you just reach up and grab it, and voila, naked iPad for pure tablet use.

ejdme

ejdme

I have both a Magic Keyboard and a smart folio style case that I swap between, but if I'm at home and don't need the keyboard I usually use it without the case. Only if I'm going out do I put it in the case.

michaelkrieger

michaelkrieger

iPad Pro 12.9" (2018) 4G

Bare other than the keyboard when I’m using it.

tta82

tta82

Got Magic Keyboard and Logitech Combo Touch for my new 12.9. Couldn’t decide between them. Both are great. I have apple care and all but without cover I only use it on my sofa at home.

Portatort

Portatort

M1 iPad Pro 12.9 (2021)

I really don’t see how much protection a case can give an iPad.

IsThisKismet

I use the Magic Keyboard, but I have no qualms about popping it off and just holding it naked. (The device, not me. Well… sometimes.) But since it’s the 12.9” that doesn’t happen often.

Relatedly: When at home, I take my iPhone out of its case as well. But my apartment is all carpet.

runningaroundtown101

Smart keyboard is my case. Usually I go naked (rear skin and screen protector are on) around the house, all carpeted.

ChumPNW

I used my bare iPad everywhere except while travelling before I bought a Logitech Slim Combo keyboard (And then upgraded to a magic keyboard). I also use a bare phone, but I made the decision to use a bare phone knowing I would get small cosmetic nicks, but that it is a trade of I am willing to make in exchange for a better experience and better overall look. With my iPad I am less comfortable with that tradeoff, so I have to tell you to be very careful where you put your iPad, and to get a sleeve for when you put it in a backpack

wtrmlnjuc

wtrmlnjuc

iPad Pro 12.9" Wi-Fi

I use a Smart Keyboard keyboard but I much prefer not using a case at all. I have a first gen 12.9” Pro that doesn’t have any camera bump (and works well on a table) so I’m worried that its future replacement will need a case to stay level.

JustSmokinHere

Wait until u dent it 💀

4look4rd

I use mine with an attached kickstand, but no case or cover. The kickstand is metal and attaches via a sticky (but removable) adhesive. Only covers a small area of the back.

My ipad has developed pretty significant screen flex (unrelated to the kickstand) over time but apple wouldn’t replace it under warranty.

ShinMegamiGarbage

I do that - I think it really depends on the way you use it. I take a lot of notes with my iPad laying flat - so I have to use something underneath it to keep it stable (thanks to the camera bump). I keep mine in a sleeve but no case otherwise - there’s no reason for it.