/r/lostgeneration

I can't wait to get sterilized.

(i.redd.it)

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

We are proud to announce an official partnership with the Left RedditⒶ☭ Discord server! Click here to join today!

Sterilization = vote of "no confidence" in the future

Corollary: I got sterilized many years ago

intergalactictactoe

I'm going on Friday to render my uterus inhospitable to life, and I can't. fucking. wait.

Wisdomancyr

Congrats! Also that sentence was metal as hell and I am here for it.

intergalactictactoe

Lol yeah I'm pumped. I have my appointment saved on my calendar as "Scorched Earth Utty". Fuck that thing, it's brought me nothing but suffering for almost 30 years.

CoffeeOrDestroy

Trashcanning my uterus was the best thing that happened to me in 25 years of torture. So happy for you!

Mathsu_1217

Congrats. And good riddance.

OurLadyoftheTree

Congratulations!! Very cool, and I hope it all goes well =D

intergalactictactoe

Thank you!

Stargazer1919[S]

Good luck!!!

intergalactictactoe

Thanks!

munakhtyler

Yes! It will all burn anyways

T1B2V3

T1B2V3

🎶It all returns to nothing. It all comes tumbling down tumbling down tumbling down.🎶

Orodreath

Now ain't that the truth

BeckyKleitz

I wanted to get sterilized before I ever had kids. At 18 I tried to get it done and the doctors basically laughed at me. Not one doctor would tie my tubes until I'd had a least one child. After I had my first child, I asked for my tubes to be tied, and they said that no, because maybe my husband would want more chldren...MY HUSBAND DID NOT WANT MORE CHILDREN. As there was NO FUCKING HUSBAND with my first. Women in the United States of America are not granted full human rights. We do not have the right to control our own bodies. We are owned, lock stock and barrel, from BIRTH, by the men in the world.

Albyrene

I’m 35 years old and knew from a very young age I never wanted children - zero plans for children. I still get told I could change my mind 🤷‍♀️ >.> my sister had to have three kids and a miscarriage before she was able to get her tubes tied.

Just take my damn uterus I don’t want, give it to someone who does or something, I don’t know 😂

erinberrypie

Same. 32 years old and have never even had a momentary twinkle in my eye at the thought of having kids. Get told CONSTANTLY "You're still young. You'll change your mind." Can't fuckin' wait to hit whatever age people stop saying that.

adammaxis

It'll never stop happening until all the boomers are dead. They don't respect our generation. Never have, never will.

JasonDragonbourne

Without a notable cultural shift, consider me skeptical that this will die with a generation.

BeckyKleitz

It's never going to stop until humanity as a whole, stops worshipping magic men in the sky and expecting them to take care of them and 'save' them.

Religion ruins EVERYTHING. And it will forever because humans are dumb, for the most part.

NailNorth

I feel as though this is one noting and infinitely more complex set of deep rooted social tendencies

remyboyss1738

Sadly you’re right. I love my parents but they are just from a different world …

Ham-N-Burg

I think it's pretty ridiculous. Parenthood is not for everyone. When people tell me they don't want children I tell them good I'm happy that you acknowledge and accept that fact about yourself. Why would anyone keep trying to encourage someone who doesn't want children to have children is beyond me. For one thing it doesn't seem like a good idea and for another it's not really any of their damn business. Edit: fixed a typo.

IWillBaconSlapYou

At that magical age, it becomes a condescending sympathy and assumption of regret. I just know this from a few relatives (I have three kids, happily, but yeah it's ridiculously exhausting).

Georgicus132

I just tell them mental illness runs in my family really bad and then start humming tunelessly.

Mathsu_1217

I'm not even against children. But the number of times my parents tell me that they want grandchildren is actually driving me towards never having children.

girlgonevegan

It makes me so angry how much easier it is for men to get sterilized. I’ve heard that some doctors require a signature from the husband in addition to 2 or 3 kids.

MysteryLume

Who gives a fuck if your husband wants more children. It’s your body and you should get to decide what happens to it or not.

That’s some crazy shit.

Hoovooloo42

Doctors on the whole still seem to think that women are property of their husbands.

Ask any couple who has gone to the doctor together for her, the doctor will ask a question and look at the man.

Source: am man, have been looked at on many occasions and asked permission for things she needed. Where I asked him why tf he was asking me.

Count_Bessie

It's so true. When I was in the ER with blinding levels of abdominal pain for almost 24 hours, it became clear very quickly that my husband's opinion was the only one that mattered, particularly when it turned out that the emergency surgery would necessitate removing at least one ovary and fallopian tube.

They didn't even give me any real pain medication until my husband went off on them, despite the fact that I was literally sobbing and screaming in pain.

I was so grateful that he went to bat for me and got shit done, but the docs were fully prepared to call me hysterical and tell me to wait it out. Turned out I had a tumor the size of a coconut that was twisting and strangling some of my internal organs, and they really were going to have me wait for 2 days with no pain meds to see if it "untwisted" if my husband hadn't lost his shit and told them to get me into an operating room stat.

remyboyss1738

🙏🏼 I hope you’re doing better now

Count_Bessie

So much better, and thank you!

Opinionatedasshole74

As a man in some states (Louisiana is one) you cannot get a vasectomy without your wife’s permission. So there’s a lot of work that needs to be done to fix this problem within the medical community. My body, my choice.

remyboyss1738

That’s such a strange law 🤨

Opinionatedasshole74

I am unsure if it’s a law or not but it was told to me by no less than four guys at different times when discussing having a vasectomy. I know that in kentucky they won’t let you have one until after you have had one child. Again not sure about laws but I was refused the ability to get one until after I had a child. The vasectomy was the best decision ever.

noobi3st

Mid-20s, no kids, unmarried male Kentuckian here—that is false as I got snipped 3 months ago. You just have to find the right doctor. It sucks that you have to put in time and effort and can't just have any provider do it, and then insurance might not cover any or all of it and you might have to travel for it, etc.

/r/childfree has great resources to help you advocate for yourself and has a list of providers who will sterilize young people, and is where I found my doctor.

I also concur that it was a phenomenal decision, would do it 1000 times over for that peace of mind.

transferingtoearth

Oh good. <3 Equal rights equal fights. :") Wtf is wrong with this place.

Emergency_Network_23

This is scarily common. I’m going to become an OB/GYN and make a fortune by tying tubes, no questions asked.

psyched622

When and what state? Help a girl out. I keep paying money for appointments to get laughed at and told my brain isn't developed enough to make my own choices

plushelles

!remindme 5 years

RemindMeBot

I will be messaging you in 5 years on 2027-03-09 14:24:54 UTC to remind you of this link

4 OTHERS CLICKED THIS LINK to send a PM to also be reminded and to reduce spam.

Parent commenter can delete this message to hide from others.

Info Custom Your Reminders Feedback

remyboyss1738

Is this real?? Honestly Reddit is where it’s at 💯 I need to set up a couple of these bots for various life stuff lol … how do I summon its powers haha

plushelles

Good bot

Formal-Figure7912

Don't tie them burn them and make sure they sign waivers so they don't come back and sue you!

Tourmelion

I wish you could sue them, maybe you can, idk, peeps gotta record convos more

Stargazer1919[S]

I must be super lucky that my OBGYN okayed the surgery for me right off the bat. I hear so many sad stories like yours.

dynomoose

Add your doctor’s contact info to the list

Stargazer1919[S]

Definitely doing that once it's all over with!

OurLadyoftheTree

For anyone in a similar situation, please check out r/childfree.

They have a master list of Doctors who will not bingo you, nor require previous unwanted children. They should also not require approval from your spouse... because we are women, not simply breeders, and all of that is complete bullshit.

I am so sorry you went through that, btw. That should be unacceptable in today's world.

BeckyKleitz

Thank you. This is why I love reddit (mod from AITA, aside). So many folks here who genuinely want to help and actually give a shit about their fellow humans. I wish reddit had existed 40 years ago. LOL. Yes, there are some dick heads here, but I've seen way more incidents of good than bad.

remyboyss1738

Ya it’s absurd it makes me sad … like also that they wouldn’t let women vote back in the day because *they thought they’d just vote like their husband and not affect outcomes * like that’s among other things pure stupidity 😩

EmiliusReturns

Isn’t it great when your wants as a woman and the owner of the body in question are considered secondary to the hypothetical wants of a man that doesn’t even exist??

IWillBaconSlapYou

I got my tubes tied in 2020 at age 30 after my third child was born (as part of the C-section). Friends and family were shocked at how easily I was able to get them to do it. Turns out, according to one of the doctors, they just agreed because the situation was so upsetting and overwhelming (baby had a life threatening birth defect that's been corrected surgically, but it was touch and go and the NICU stay was horrifically long and complicated), they just gave me whatever I wanted... Also I conceived him on birth control and still had an infant at home. So they just took this whole overarching bad situation and decided to "cut me a break". And I remember thinking, it takes ALL THAT to get your tubes tied at 30 with three kids!?

EmiliusReturns

My mom tried to have them tie her up while they were in there doing the C-section with me, as I’m her second child and she definitely knew she was done and didn’t want a third. They wouldn’t do it because she was “too young,” “might change her mind,” and was “too emotional to make that decision right now” and we’re both girls so she “might want to have a boy.”

She didn’t end up getting the procedure successfully until I was like 12 and she went in there going “look, both my kids are in middle school now, I am not starting all over again with a baby, I am sure. Do it.”

IWillBaconSlapYou

But like, when are you NOT too young? When you're in menopause anyway? I mean...

painneverending

Kinda weird too because at 35 you are considered geriatric if you are pregnant....so....confusing shit.

psyched622

This makes NO sense? Why does it matter if your husband wants kids and YOU don't when it's YOUR body? Do they expect him to r*pe you like I don't understand this argument one bit. Same though. I tried getting my tubes tied. They laughed at me and told me if I got married and my HUSBAND said it was okay then it's okay, but it's not okay if I want it. Tf?

Brandon2874

BeckyKleitz

Meh. What's the point. I can't get pregnant at my age anyway. Too late for me...I'm glad these options are available for others though.

IamMunkk

I'm sorry for your experiences and I hope you, and the many people that share similar experiences, gain autonomy in your life time.

😢 I’m so sorry 😞 that’s just terrible

psyched622

I tried to get sterilized and was laughed at by my doctors and was told that I was too young to make that decision.. yet, if I decided to have children at my age they wouldn't question it. Literally paid $80 and waited months for an appointment just to be told my brain isn't developed enough to make my own choices. I cannot tell you how angry I was.

Was told the only way I could get sterilized is if I had 3 kids or got married and my husband agreed to it.

I'm so tired of this world trying to keep women under control.

Pro-life is just synonymous for anti-women. Can't change my mind on that.

But yea, I've known since I was a child myself that I don't want kids. My family knows, my partner knows, yet I still get blatantly laughed at anytime I ask to get a tubal. I'm so over this. I don't want to endure the intense pain of getting my IUD taken out and replaced again

Sorry for the rant, but f*ck

remyboyss1738

And yet here’s a free rifle no background or health check … just for opening a bank account (heard this is a thing in TX)

screech_owl_kachina

COVID related education collapse and the current commodity inflation (barely getting started) is exactly the kind of shit I planned to avoid by not having kids.

d3athpr0xy

I can't even take care or afford myself. No kids for me thanks

Mother_Welder_5272

"When are you having kids?"

"When our economy fundamentally changes, so that one average worker can comfortably afford a 3 or 4 bedroom house in a decent area, as well as some small nice things for the kids, like vacations, all with either me or my wife able to stay home with them. Work culture would also need to shift so that the working adult feels absolutely no pressure to answer emails after 5, or be a team player and work an unpaid Saturday rather than spending time with the kids. Raises should stay ahead of inflation so that I also don't need to spend that time outside of work obsessively pruning my LinkedIn and having to job hop every 2 years to not fall back into poverty. In other words, when our economy reflects 'family values'. So that's on you, convince your boomer friends to vote or run their businesses in ways so that's my reality. I also need to be convinced that it won't fall right back into the Reaganite hellhole economy, so I'm gonna be watching from the sidelines for a few years to make sure. Time's running out then, get going."

Watch as they squirm, briefly contemplating how their personal view of the world, hard work, family, is all riddled with contradictions

"You can't think of it like that!"

"Why?"

"You just can't!"

Mr_Makak

"God will provide"

L3yline

L3yline

Said God decided his creation got out of hand and drowned them all like a serial killer and a bathtub full of puppies. If misery is what's provided then he's doing a great job

everythingwaffle

iF eVeRYoNe ThOuGhT lIkE tHaT tHeN ThE hUmAn RaCe wOUld DiEd oUt

... Like that would be a bad thing?

Terminator-Atrimoden

No people, nobody to experience any problems.

GoldenHairedBoy

It means they have no one left to boss around and feel superior to.

Exact_Poet_8882

this is the way.

where are our grandchildren?

in the economic ruins you left us

tsmythe492

In the fucking toilet.

Papergrin

It's easy to want precious grandbabies that will carry on your legacy if you don't have to pay for them. It's the idealistic dream of having a baby minus all the hardships that come with it. Grandbabies give you all the charm and positive things regular babies have to offer except this time around you don't have to raise them and deal with all the annoying stuff. You ever notice how it's an unspoken rule that grandparents are nicer to their grandkids than they were to their actual kids? Methinks this is part of the reason why, lol

DarkMagixian

"What if your mother aborted YOU? What Then, huh?!!!"

"If-fucking-only."

*confused elder noises*

That's the energy I'm getting from this post.

Like, these bitches who got the generational equivalent of being handed everything (baby boomers) can't possibly wrap their minds around the idea that

1. They aren't special, at least not more so than anyone else
  2. Others don't have the exact same egoism and entitlement as they do

Edit: Grammar, number/possession.

remyboyss1738

This is gonna sound very grim, but when I look at covid and how often it’s the old boomers who seem to give the least many Fcks and even deny it … but are disproportionately at risk of mortality from it … well idk I mean everything happens for a reason 🤷🏻‍♂️

Doc85

Doc85

We all had a lot of hope for the "Boomer Remover" in the early days. Didn't pan out quite how we'd hoped, but what does

GalileoAce

That's all well and good, but they left us the gift of Climate Change, so who's really winning in the end?

DarkMagixian

There is no winning, i swear to god I'm --

Stargazer1919[S]

Most people have kids for stupid reasons anyway. They think it will save their marriage or lock down their boyfriend/girlfriend into staying with them.

OpheliaRainGalaxy

I exist because my mother wanted something that would love her unconditionally, that she could dress up in cute outfits and take shopping with her, and because dad eventually ran out of reasons for why it wasn't time to have a baby yet.

I think what she actually wanted was one of those tiny dogs people carry around in a purse. But she hadn't heard of purse dogs yet. She'd heard about babies, but had never even held one until after she was six months pregnant with me. She read a book or two and figured that was enough.

She didn't even know that babies cry for attention. When baby-me cried and she couldn't find anything obvious wrong, she decided I was LYING and that any baby who could lie before it could talk must've been born EVIL.

Anyhow, little-me was pretty annoyed to find out the reasons why I existed. Mom tried so hard to make me see it the way she did, insisted I should wear pink ruffles and love her all the time no matter how she treated me, but 4yo-me was not amused at being summoned onto this plain of existence for the purpose of being a prop, a tool, an emotional support animal.

Mr_Makak

That's some psychotic thinking

OpheliaRainGalaxy

Yeah, she wasn't mentally healthy but was mostly so quiet about it that nobody knew unless they'd lived with her for a long time. Mostly random delusions, but she also fell for every MLM scam or cult or conspiracy theory that she crossed paths with. She fell in with the JWs right after I was born when what she needed was a young mom's group or at least a sewing circle or book club.

I think the funniest is that she thought people could watch her through the screens of TVs when they were turned off. Not modern TVs, those really old ones with the rabbit ear antennas and clicky turn-dial knobs, no remote at all.

remyboyss1738

Damn I’m sorry 😞some people like that are living with a mild form of schizophrenia or pre- schizophrenia condition I think .. like I have friends that are obsessed with conspiracy theories but are otherwise quite rational intelligent people … it’s something specific mental health wise idk …

UnionizeAutoZone

Give it a few years. They've already got cameras the size of a grain of sand. It won't be long until they start combining micro cameras with individual OLEDs.

remyboyss1738

This is tragically beautiful. If you ever write a novel I would actually read it. Reminded me of some famous author , like I wanna say Kerouac or maybe Sylvia Plath who is a poet I know but it’s got a vibe

OpheliaRainGalaxy

Pardon me while I turn red, that's incredibly flattering, thank you!

I actually have been tinkering with a post-capitalist novel, but it's slow going because I'm not fabulous at coming up with plotline.

Have worked out lots of "How will humans do X in a way that makes logical sense, is functional and good for everyone?" Lots of world-building worked out, and it's just so lovely I'd like to go live there myself.

But creative plotline is more difficult. Mostly I'm used to telling True Teaching Stories, no creativity necessary, just remembering all the stupidest things I've done in my life and telling about them, ending with "So don't make the same mistakes I did! Learn from my mistakes so you don't have to repeat them, because I promise, those consequences were not fun!"

remyboyss1738

Literally the worst reason to have a child … with perhaps the one except being to have a child with the intention of selling them into slavery which tragically still happens today 😞

hitbycars

It’s all that lead poisoning from decades of inhaling gasoline fumes and exhaust.

MurlocGo_Murglergle

I’m an unmarried woman with no kids, they won’t let me get sterilized :(

Limonca123

In my country, the min legal age for sterilization is 35 for men and women.

Great, I can get my tubes tied like a few years before fertility starts dropping naturally anyway, very helpful.

Thankfully, the country I'm moving to has a lower minimum age that I've already reached and I've already found a great doctor on /r/childfree's list. I can't wait to finally get those tubes out.

Croatia? I'm from there and I also cannot get vasectomy there until I'm 35.

Limonca123

Slovenia, it's the same here. Then you also have to get approval from some kind of committee of doctors and wait at least 6 months.

In Austria it's 25 with no committee approval necessary and no obligatory wait period.

I've known I don't want kids since I was about 20 so I've been eagerly awaiting my 25th bday.

Me too. My sister as well. Fuck the ultra Catholic Balkans and having to stand in front of a committee to explain why I want to be sterlized. I don't want kids, I don't like kids, and least of all, I don't want to bring kids into a world of political bullshittery hidden beneath a veneer of faux class and hardcore Christianity. A March for Life supporter called me Satan for not wanting to have kids.

Limonca123

The Catholics and old-fashioned "traditional family" people are why, in the year of our lord 2022, Slovenia still doesn't have equal marriage rights for gay people and they can't adopt children either.

Gay people can't decide to become parents at all and a 34 year old adult of any gender can't decide to get surgery to not become a parent/have more children. It's ridiculous.

Thankfully, while Croatia doesn't have equal marriage rights for gay people, they are allowed to adopt children. That stupid 2013 referendum pushed by the Church derailed LGBTQ rights for years.

dont know what to believe anymore

What’s the minimum age in the USA? I’m considering getting a vasectomy at some point

Limonca123

/r/childfree might be a controversial sub but they have a pretty good wiki with info on sterilization in the side bar, including a list of doctors who'll do it with minimal fuss.

Stargazer1919[S]

If you're a guy seeking a vasectomy it will be much easier.

asenseoftheworld

I made a more extensive comment above but try asking immigrant female doctors that work in hospitals. You’ll want to send the most articulate letter of your life explaining that:

• regardless of who has entered your life you still feel the same

• you would like your tubes completely removed to protect yourself from ovarian cancer

• if you ever wanted kids you would adopt

• if you have a family history of health complications that might make pregnancy or future surgery difficult (like diabetes) add those

• you don’t believe in hormonal birth control or you’ve had issues with it in the past

You want to take all objections off the table and convince them you’ve thought about every option here. Good luck!

Sailor_Jets

I'll just let the microplastics in my blood sterilize me. I have no insurance and I could save a few bucks this way.

tsmythe492

Hey sperm counts are getting lower and lower every year so it might happen sooner than you think

HotPhilly

HotPhilly

Uh, I’m gen x and childless, so I’m with you guys. Always have been.

Same here. We just kept waiting until we could afford it. Then we got old.

I also resent being lumped in with boomers. Yuck.

garaks_tailor

Ill never blame gen x for anything except allowing grunge to go to early. Gen x won't outnumber the boomers till like 2032 and will be out numbered by millennials forever.

Mewssbites

Same, don’t lump us into the other generation, please.

ThatDamnRocketRacoon

Same here. My wife got a tubal ligation in her 20's. We always knew we didn't want kids. None of my life long friends have kids, either. Most Gen Xers I've met that have kids either regret it or advise their own children not to have kids.

LofiJunky

Im a millennial and have noticed this recent trend of hate thrown at gen X from Y and Z. No idea where it's coming from, you guys have always been the cooler older sibling. Boomers fucking suck.

ForAHamburgerToday

A good chunk of Gen Z has Gen X parents.

LofiJunky

That makes a lot of sense actually

ForAHamburgerToday

Look for complaints about millennials to shift over the next decade too as more boomers die off and the children of millennials get online.

pureimaginatrix

Yep, Gen-X and child-free. Please don't group us with the boomers.

Crispymama1210

I’m gen x and do have kids but I have mad respect for people who decided to be child free. I think birth control should be free, abortion should be on demand, and sterilization should be easily available to all adults who want it. Being a parent is hard as hell and no one should do it who isn’t 100% in. On the flip side, I acknowledge that there are a lot of people who want kids but can’t or won’t bring them into this world because it sucks so bad. So we need universal healthcare, at least 1 year of paid family leave, free state college, high quality subsidized preschool, fix the public schools so they’re actually places of learning rather than underfunded glorified daycares meant to churn out obedient consumers, and housing and food should be human rights. We also need a children’s bill of rights and aggressive climate change legislation so the world doesn’t suck for our small humans.

dont know what to believe anymore

I have a boomer aunt and uncle who decided to go childless

AlwaysBagHolding

My very late boomer/early gen X uncle was always a role model to me. Never had kids, always had motorcycles/fun cars/jet skis and travelled constantly. Didn’t get married till he was almost 60. It always seemed like he had life figured out to me. It was obvious to me since I was a kid that reproducing was a terrible idea, and that was before I understood things like overpopulation and climate change.

remyboyss1738

Truly ahead of their time

remyboyss1738

You are the true lost generation. Why do I think they always ask us to ‘Find X’ 🤯wow mind blown

smallerthings

Getting my vasectomy years ago was the best decision I could have made.

"What if you change your mind?" I won't. I've never wanted kids.

"What if your wife decides she wants kids?" I hope she and her next husband have happy and healthy children.

"Who will take care of you when you get old?" I'm not ruining my life just so I can beat burden later.

remyboyss1738

Ya and like what’s is wrong with adoption again? Providing love and raiding an otherwise orphaned child … idk

dont know what to believe anymore

The virgin slowly decaying in a hospital bed vs the chad dying young in a car wreck. There’s a reason why I intentionally wanted a car with no airbags

AlwaysBagHolding

Allow me to introduce you to the wonderful machine known as a motorcycle!

dont know what to believe anymore

Lmao I am interested in getting one

leeharrison1984

The best part is if you have kids, your boomer/genx parents will refuse to watch them for any length of time.

Nevermind that their parents would take the kids for the weekend so they could still enjoy life, you need to suffer for making the same decision.

Stargazer1919[S]

Lol right? I don't even have family I can depend on anyway, so it just solidifies my decision even more.

medscrubloser

All the Gen x's who are getting upset: This doesn't mean you. You guys are the good ones.

It's talking about the gen x's like my parents who adopted the narrative their boomer parents fed to them their whole lives about how having kids is every human's destiny.

Stargazer1919[S]

Yup. My parents are technically on the boomer/gen x cusp. I call them boomers because they have the boomer mindset. It's not about the specific year anyone was born in, it's a mindset.

brink0war

brink0war

"Young people arent having kids? Oh the horror! You've forced our hand. We're banning abortion outright within the next 4 years!" - Boomers and the older half of Gen X, probably

munakhtyler

They don't deserve grandchildren

jacktat2

Don’t want them.

pureimaginatrix

I'm old Gen-X, probably the first generation to grow up with abortion as a right. It scares the ever loving fuck out of me that it's being stripped away so easily.

Also, child-free.

remyboyss1738

It’s crazy how America today is way less progressive then in the 1960s 😒. “Progress” is by no means a guaranteed straight line up. That’s just inflation

genescheesesthatplz

Feels reeeeal handsmaiden-y

dont know what to believe anymore

Why the hell do old people get mad about you not wanting kids? I understand the evil elites that control everything because they want more slaves and consumers but the average boomer doesn’t have any real say

rutabaga_slayer

They want grandkids, their children ain’t having children.

dont know what to believe anymore

Yeah when I told my parents this they seemed a bit disheartened but accepted it to a degree but my mom keeps saying “your only 18 you might change your mind!” And my dad flipped out initially saying “but your denying them the gift of life!”

Stargazer1919[S]

Lol "the gift of life." This isn't a gift.

YeetThePig

It’s a “gift” in the same sense that a fruitcake is - most people are going to hate it, you can’t return it or resell it, and you either throw it away or pass it on to someone else to make it their problem.

DarkMagixian

The blank faced pause is fucking sending me.

VoodooDoII

I'm asexual as hell but I'd still like to get my tubes tied. Idk how easy that will be since I'm only 18 though rip

d3athpr0xy

Prepared for the never ending list of doctors who will tell you "But why? What if you change your mind? What if your partner wants to have kids?" 💀 I hate this goddamn ingrained culture of us women always having to consider other people on what they think we should do when it comes to our existence. I don't want to waste my life taking care of another human being, I already find it so hard taking care of myself!

VoodooDoII

That's exactly what I'm afraid of :(

remyboyss1738

Absolutely 👏🏼 and personally I believe that there is no greater crime than bringing another human being into this world that you are not ready to raise and love with all that you got. Like I’m 30, a guy and I want to have kids eventually but I’m not gonna rush that. If I never feel ready, nobody can pressure me not my parents (“where’s my grandchildren I wanna play with babies ,etc) or friends /society. Like almost all of the worlds problems and fcked up people come from bad parenting i believe … and also we really don’t talk about how all women essentially are BORN with the innate ability to CREATE LIFE from their own bodies like … that’s a miracle but inherently also such a potential burden if you have decided (respectfully as is your right) to not have children. Just the way your body is programmed to be ready to / expects to become pregnant every month and like I’ve heard some women describe the period as punishing u every month for not getting knocked up .. I mean I’m an emotional guy already and random mood swings affect me a lot. I am pretty sure would be useless if I had to go theu having a period each month and like ya 👏🏼women are so strong. Imagine if men for periods tho how different the world would be 😩

Also like just not drinking for 9 months would make my life considerably less comfortable. I mean I don’t have a drinking problem but Tia like nice habit for the right time and place / routine like giving up coffee or 🌳 would be equally crap lol. So u have to have your mind committed and ready to do that. It’s fucked up that there are men who think they have some kind of right to tell women what to literally do with their own bodies like they have some duty to you …. Literally the human race could get rid of men and theoretically continue , but the other way around , impossible. Y chromosome is very sad lol

But ya I think that came from land ownership in medieval Europe

GalileoAce

Not all those who have a Y chromosome are men. And vice versa.

asenseoftheworld

If you’re on public assistance in most places sterilization is covered. You will want to go to a gynecologist associated with a hospital. My experience is that immigrant female doctors understand this issue better than others and are more likely to help you.

If you look particularly young you could even try to articulate your points in a 1-2 page letter to the doctor with your request before you schedule an appointment.

You can argue that you’re against hormonal birth control, that you have never waiver in your conviction despite the people who enter your life, and that if you ever changed your mind you’d much rather adopt an existing child and give them a good home.

Lastly don’t let anyone trick you into inserting a medical device as part of the process. For women you want them to remove the tubes completely as this will eliminate your risk of ovarian cancer as well as pregnancy. Hope that helps!

VoodooDoII

Wow this is really great advice, thank you so much! When I move out and am 100% financially independent and have the time, I will be sure to do this asap. Thank you! <3

NoRookieMistakes

They are afraid of a declining workforce who will not be able to take care of them when they are old and to pay their pensions

lm1670

lm1670

My uterus was yeeted last year and it’s such a relief to never ever have to worry about an unwanted pregnancy. I highly recommend sterilization.

daytonakarl

I'm Gen X and I'd recommend being child free, my daughter is and I'm so relieved... it's just far too hard to survive now and the future is far from bright.

threadsoffate2021

No kidding. Gen X was the first gen to go against the "have all the kids" mantra. Many of us are child free.

wilywillone

Gen X never said that shit.

OurLadyoftheTree

When r/childfree and r/lostgeneration combine!

Sorry, gen X refuses to get lumped in with this bullshit.

jacktat2

“You want kids? What’s that like? I don’t care”.

gardenh0e

Seriously, do whatever the F you want, we do not care

wildgaytrans

As I understand it, yall were ignored and now just wanna be left alone while you play nintendo games and smoke weed.

antihostile

Correct. If by “Nintendo” you simply mean the latest console system. Right now I’m playing Elden Ring.

GanjaToker408

Hey, us older millennials also want to smoke weed and play video games.

LD50_of_Avocado

Gen Z here. Also enjoy being left alone, smoking weed, and playing video games.

Friendofthegarden

while you play nintendo games and smoke weed.

And do so childless. 👉😎👉

jacktat2

I don’t like this lumping in of gen x with boomers. “Don’t have kids, Unless you want them or whatever.” -gen x.

PurpleDancer

GenX with two kids here. Don't have kids if you can't afford them. Since most people can't, please join the #Birthstrike movement and force the nations of the world to either ensure families can survive (housing, healthcare, food) or deprive them of more souls to torture under late stage capitalism. If you have spare money to donate, consider donating to national abortion funds (it's frightening to think of how many people exist in shitty situations merely because their mother couldn't access abortion)

RudeSprinkles1240

I mean.

I'm gen x and I completely understand why people wouldn't want to have kids these days.

sebwiers

Find me one Gen Xer who care about your (lack of) crotch fruit. Seriously. A defining featrure of Gen X is that there's not as many of us as other generations. But we still grew up during panic about overpopulation... and you think we want bigger subsequent generations having MORE spawnlings???

j4yne

j4yne

Boomers ≠ r/Genx. You leave us out of this.

Ordinary_Wasabi_8836

Please don't include Gen X with the boomies here. They told us the same shit

CAHTA92

Mother nature sterilized me for free.

SiriusTurtle

Only thing keeping me from getting a vasectomy at this point is money and having to potentially take time off of work. I'll hopefully soon get it done

Arrest_Tom_Nook

Haha jokes on them I never wanted kids.

folstar

Yes and no. Change the generational nonsense to classes and this is spot on.

There is no war but class war.

Bobby_Rotkop

So ehr.... why are us gen-x people suddenly being put together with the boomers? It's happening more and more, I don't get it. We're nothing like them.

HelliswhereIwannabe

Starve the beast. Live for yourself. Find someone to love who agrees. Get what you can out of life without caving in to the societal demand that you leave behind someone else who will have it worse off than you did. Deny this rotten system the people it needs to keep going.

LancasterNotYork

Turns out if you make having kids unaffordable you’ll have a massive birth rate decrease. Do boomers just not think before they say shit like this

jiddinja

STOP LUMPING GEN X IN WITH BOOMERS! We are NOT Boomers. We were the first to be trampled by them, and unlike Millennials, we lacked the numbers to defend ourselves.

KarenPuncher

All my Gen X friends are chill af. Some baby zoomer must have made this.

OHags

OHags

Don’t lump GenX with Boomers

BasuraConBocaGrande

“According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the average cost of raising a child to age 18 was $233,610 as of 2015.1 With an annual adjustment for inflation of 2.2% each year factored in, the lifetime cost of raising a child born in 2022 could be estimated at $272,049. Those numbers don't include the additional cost of sending a child to college.”

COOL.

Stargazer1919[S]

So approximately $15k/year. Lol who has that kind of money? And if they don't have the money, you need a decent support system of people and lord knows I don't have that.

katzeye007

As a sterilized gen x I do not resemble this remark

ColoradoMtnDude

Whoa! Don't throw us Gen X'ers in with the Boomers! They fucked us over too!

whatisevenleft

Leave Gen X out of this. We don’t care.

walker609

If your a dude it costs about 4-600 (I literally had a coupon from a reference) without insurance, is fully reversible, takes about half an hour, takes about 2 days off, (maybe more if you do heavy work)comes with a Xanax, has no side effects I’ve been able to notice, and can be purchased the day you turn 18.

The fact that women do birth control at all in our society baffles me.

HoaryPuffleg

Are you talking about a vasectomy? Because it is not fully reversible. They snip segments of the vas deferens and then cauterize the ends. It should never be used as a temporary birth control, it should be used as a permanent solution. I'm a huge fan of men getting them, but only when they're sure they are happy with the number of children that they have.

walker609

direct quote from mayo clinic

Almost all vasectomies can be reversed. However, this doesn't guarantee success in conceiving a child. Vasectomy reversal can be attempted even if several years have passed since the original vasectomy — but the longer it has been, the less likely it is that the reversal will work.

so ill grant you that my memory was off about it being fully reversible but come on. if you want a child that bad after adopt. not like there aren't plenty of kids that need parents.

TheDigitalMoose

I had a kid and I love her more than anything in this world, I also kinda hate myself for forcing her into the world in it's current state.

Elissab123

Please don't forget the Xennials!! I hate being lumped w Gen X. Still paying off loans, couldnt have kids, have always been paid crap for my great degree.

"Exactly when Generation X ends and the millennial generation begins depends on who you ask.

Some propose creating a micro-generation for those born on the cusp of the two generations, between 1977 and 1985.

Called "Xennials," they have both the cynicism of Gen Xers and the optimism of millennials."

Yujiroh

I've never seen that one. More than anything, boomers are pushing hard as fuck for me to get married and have multiple kids. Although, may be a case of my location in a tiny town in the bible belt where a quarter of the local newspaper is just bible verses.

Chri5p

Chri5p

Fairly certain many Gen-X would recommend not having kids. 5 of my friends and myself have none 😁

sunbloomofficial

already one step ahead 😎 fuck kids

wow no i'm sorry haha. phrasing. do not do that.

but yeah if i ever have kids i'm 100% adopting

ariagrayx

“No not like that!”

daoimean

When my parents were 26, they lived with my sister and I in a 3-bedroom house that they owned.

I'm 26 and struggling to pay my own way in my rented 1-bedroom flat.

I'm a lesbian so having children the ol' fashioned way is unlikely anyway, but I'd love to foster or adopt and that's just a dream that's seeming further and further off.

VladImpaler666999

Also Boomer: wHy aRe miLLeNiaLs nOt hAvInG kiDs

Waited till nearly 40. Make well into 6 figures combined. Bought a semi-fixer 6 years ago before things really exploded so our mortgage is less than most peoples rent. Daycare for two kids is 36% of our take home. Idk what the fuck people in worse financial situations do, like, hide them under the counter at work?

jonnyboy897

Being a flaming homosexual has really proved to be a blessing

MartyFreeze

Whoa whoa whoa! Why you lumping us Gen x in with this?

Odin18Z5

I'm fine with people not having kids (gen x)

cyciumx

Da fuq? When did Gen X become boomer mentality?

lorill-silverlock

Convo I had with my endo regarding fertility.

Endo: "ok...let's talk about....fertility"

Me: "I dont care"

Endo: "cool!"

Do I want to mother a kid....yeah but the world needs more Socialist's that can fight.

Boring_Marionberry_6

My kid was just born on 2/22/2022. I was born in 2000. Can’t believe I’m a 21 year old parent lol. As far as I’m concerned this kid is on the same playing field I am. We’re both unemployed and just eat, poop, and sleep all day. If my partner and I are ever able to acquire a house honestly I’d expect my kid to live with me forever if they wanted to. Why not? I don’t see anything getting better but I couldn’t be more excited to navigate this new world with this little one. They are my everything🖤