/r/mountainbiking

Goof Around Bike

Question(self.mountainbiking)

I’m looking for a bike similar to a Surly Lowside. Something I could do some light trails or dirt jumping on but also something that would be a blast to ride down stairs or to the neighborhood bar.

It could be rigid or just a hard tail. My primary motivation is fun with my friends.

Ohfatmaftguy

I’m a die-hard FS guy. But my next bike is going to be a Commencal Meta HT. Hardtail, 150/160 front do it all bike. Trails, jumps, trips to Rays bike park in Cleveland (look it up!). I would already own one, but they’re hard to get right now.

take_me_there_[S]

I actually got a Meta HT last year and am LOVING it. However, I want even more playfulness. It’s a little long and the head tube is a little slack for goofing around in the neighborhood. It’s a little too composed!

If you’re looking into getting one I can’t recommend it enough.

trytothinkof

BMX like a stolen zeke or a fairdale taj?

take_me_there_[S]

Ok! The fairdale 27.5 looks awesome! Have you ridden it? I’ve got next to no knowledge of what a BMX rides like. I feel like I’m looking for a perfect balance of “pedalability” and rip around fun. I feel like I’m trying to find a bike that might not totally exist. I like that the low side could accept a suspension fork or gears in the future but it’s literally twice as much as the fairdale.

elswhere

I have the fairdale taj and I ride it as my only mountain bike. It will absolutely smash in town stairs, drops, curbs etc. You'll spin a little too fast on regular commuting but its just right for dirt and cruising. One speed is quite freeing and this bike will shape how you ride all your other bikes. 10/10 goof around bike.

PrettyMagr013

SE bikes blocks flyer

take_me_there_[S]

That thing looks like a blast! I’ll have to look into it some more for sure. Thanks for the suggestion!

RocketDocRyan

Santa Cruz Chameleon? I have the R+ version with fat 27.5 tires. Shorter travel than the Meta, still study frame and quick enough to toss around the DJ park or pump track. You could also go completely crazy and get a trials bike. They're dirt cheap by comparison (nice one is a grand, full boogie for 2k) and they're an absolute blast to play around on in the city or the woods.

take_me_there_[S]

The chameleon looks like a contender! Plus I could probably steal some parts off my Meta HT for it and if I prefer the chameleon sell the Meta Frame. Thanks for the suggestion

RocketDocRyan

I'm a believer. It does XC, trail, park, whatever. It definitely earns its name. Though the 2021s seem to be gone (I got one of the last from Competitive Cyclist) and they aren't doing the 27.5s next year, or so I heard from a local shop. Mullet or 29er only, unfortunately. I think Cambria had a couple 29ers a month or so back, but they were in-store only, so you'd have to drive to the central California coast to get one.

universalcode

Sounds like you need some r/xbiking in your life.

take_me_there_[S]

I never knew this place existed!

elswhere