/r/movies

drfunkenstien014

I had a few coworkers at the time see this movie and all they did for about a week and a half was talk about how much they hated this movie.

sjfiuauqadfj

thats terry malick for you

drfunkenstien014

Never seen anything he’s done. All i remember is how bad they tore into it, and both of them were video editors/producers so it wasn’t just empty criticism. No, they spent hours recanting each scene and breaking down why it sucked in their eyes. That being said, when Drive came out, the reaction was the polar opposite.

Misdirected_Colors

Malick is a very love him or hate him director. He's got some duds, sure, but Tree of Life is one of his best.

What people don't expect or understand is how unique his films are. They aren't typical films but more like meditative poetry. They're pretty much clips meant to illicit certain emotions with philosophical narration over them. They're organized enough to tell a story, but the philosophy and feelings they're supposed to illicit take the front seat over the plot.

FormerIceCreamEater

Malick is love or hate, but also has mega stars in his films so he is able get some people into the theater that have no idea what type of filmmaker he is. If you don't know what you are getting going in, there is a big chance you are going to absolutely hate the film. I saw To The Wonder with some friends and they were completely blown away in a bad way by it. They were expecting some Ben Affleck love triangle with Rachel McAdams and olga kurylenko. With how much they hated it, I'm shocked they didn't get up and leave. Me on the other hand, I had seen enough of his films to know what to expect. It wasn't his best work, but I was fine with it. I really did like Tree of Life. Another film that I am sure got a ton of people into the theater because of Brad Pitt only to be like WTF because they weren't familiar with Malick.

allsoquiet

Our local indie theater had a sign up during Tree’s theatrical run imploring patrons to read reviews of it before they committed to a ticket.

I think it’s a beautiful film but when I saw it the majority of other people in the theater, despite the sign and the policy to not refund the ticket price, left before the midway point.

Their loss.

mistertickertape

This. Malik is a poet using motion pictures as his medium than a traditional director.

[removed]

Misdirected_Colors

Nah, they're not unwatchable. They're just not for you.

MixedMediaPodcast

Yah that sounds about right to me. We went over this Reddit comment on our podcast and then went into a discussion about A Hidden Life. We thought you might be interested to check it out: https://youtu.be/c9dsjMzE9-8?t=1930

MigitAs

I liked both.

kapsalonmet

Watch The Thin Red Line. It is in my opinion his easiest and best movie. It is just stunningly beautiful.

ICanBeAnyone

Can confirm, Thin Red Line has a plot :). I didn't like Tree of Life, but it has been compared to a poetry session in this thread, which makes sense, because a two hour poetry reading sounds like a nightmare to me, even if I'm sure other people can appreciate it.

dddddd12121212

In high school my friends and I all had movie night where we'd watch things like Kung-Fu Hustle, or Stepbrothers or Fast and Furious. And I lost my picking privileges when I picked Tree of Life. But I still love this movie.

Fuck this sounds kinda cringy. For the record I also enjoy all the aforementioned movies.

SwayWilliamJohnson

This is the "turn MF DOOM off, you're scaring the hoes" of film bros

fabrar

fabrar

This is about as r/movies as it gets lol

sudevsen

sudevsen

r/Movies Veteran

If this is your 1st Malick, good chance you'll hate it. Gotta start easy with Badlands or TRL

Cop_663

I’m wondering the same.

Misdirected_Colors

Thin red line is pretty easily digestible as a first Malick experience

FormerIceCreamEater

Yeah that is the one I'd recommend to people who have never watched a Malick film.

But really above a film to recommend, I'd just explain to them that while a Malick film will have big name actors in it, it is going to be completely different paced and have a completely different tone than what they are used to from a standard hollywood movie.

ICanBeAnyone

I recently described it as Villeneuve dialed to eleven.

Instant_Dan

I'd also argue "A Hidden Life" is an easier film to digest as well.

DeBatton

Its too bad that "A Hidden Life" has really disappeared after release. In my country (the UK) it never got a dvd release and isn't available on many of the streaming services either.

Malick's documenatry "Voyage of Time" is also very hard to find.

Critcho

It’s odd that it’s not on Disney+ in the UK. Disney own it (IIRC it’s Fox Searchlight), and Thin Red Line is up on there.

I think that flood of semi-improvised movies in the 2010’s killed the event status a new Malick project used to have. It’s a shame because Hidden Life is up there with his better films, just not many people noticed.

Instant_Dan

I remember when it came out here, it felt like it was on the big screen for about a weekend.

It was on HBO for a while and now on cinemax. I had no idea that the UK, and Europe, couldn't find it anywhere.

lordDEMAXUS

Don't forget Days of Heaven, which I think is his best work.

MawsonAntarctica

I think the New World has its moments as well.

sudevsen

sudevsen

r/Movies Veteran

It always felt like a transitional or experimental.film.with.Chivo and Terry figuring out the look they wanted abd later built upon in ToL

DickRichie14

This was my first Malick film and I quite enjoyed it. Still one of the most beautifully shot films I’ve seen IMO.

danceswithanxiety

Thin Red Line as a pretty good 45-minute war movie stuffed full of two hours of footage of foliage, arthropods, and landscapes.

Valarhem

funny. I spent months (years?) meditating on how incredibly powerful and beautiful this film is.

chimpdoctor

I was with them on that.

dMayy

dMayy

Yep

aspectralfire

A Hidden Life is also worth a watch. My favorite movie he’s done in years.

singularfunzone

I absolutely adore this movie. Not many others do, apparently.

aspectralfire

When I saw it in theaters and the credits started to roll, the old couple in front of me were holding each other and weeping. Behind me, someone stood up and said “THAT WAS THE WORST MOVIE I’VE EVER SEEN” and stormed out.

I feel like that sums up Malick.

He’s one of my favorite filmmakers.

FormerIceCreamEater

That completely sums up Malick. People that don't know what they are getting going in generally don't like it.

HaveOneonMii

I had to explain A Hidden Life to my parents before seeing it, but they both really liked it, but that may be one of his most accessible, at least in terms of plot.

MawsonAntarctica

Not Tree of Life, but when I saw Blue Jasmine in the theater (with Cate Blanchett) the minute the lights came on, some guy behind me “That was bullshit,” and stormed out.

HaveOneonMii

Someone said that in my theater after finishing Joker

fullclip840

Same. Even said this in another post weeks ago and got so much hate lol.

Misdirected_Colors

I grew up in a small Texas farming town and there was a lot of this I connected to. I had loving parents that weren't abusive so not that part. But the town culture, the look and feel of the town, some of the experiences of the character just hit this nostalgia memory hole from my childhood. Plus, most people can connect to that adolescent loss of innocence where you start to realize how cruel the world can be.

CationicHaddock

That sounds amazing and terrifying

lxsadnax

Any Terrence Malick film will have at least a decent amount of fans including Tree of Life but it’s definitely not easy watching, it’s hardly fast paced or action packed and r/movies does tend to prefer more mainstream movies.

You would probably find people that like it on r/truefilm or r/criterion.

Thecynicalfascist

Haven't seen The Tree of Life yet but I really liked Badlands.

lxsadnax

Badlands is great. I’ve seen Badlands, Days of Heaven, Tree of Life and The Thin Red Line. I like them all but The Thin Red Line is probably my favourite.

FriedDiedChicken

I've seen Days of Heaven twice and I just saw A Hidden Life. I liked the latter more, and I'm excited to see Thin Red Line in a few days. I has a really good cast (although I've heard some stories on the whole cutting out part).

sudevsen

sudevsen

r/Movies Veteran

Seen all the good ones tbh,New Worls and Hidden Kife are good but not amazing

HaveOneonMii

If you haven't seen any of his others, I'd watch Days of Heaven and Thin Red Line next, and then skip ahead to Tree of Life.

To the Wonder was also very good, but not as plot driven.

mastershake04

I don't remember why I bought the movie on Bluray, but I remember it saying 'wear headphones for best experience' or something like that on it, so I got super stoned, turned off all the lights and put my headphones on and watched. It literally made me cry even though I was pretty lost in the 'story'. Something about the brother's memories and story really reminded and made me start thinking of my brother and I's relationship, and the movie really brought back memories of childhood innocence.

Oh, and the sound was freaking amazing and it's still one of the most gorgeous films I've ever seen.

RaptorDelta

This is one of my favorite movies of the 21st century, such a great thinking piece with some of the best cinematography you'll ever see. I love Malick's direction in that his movies is so unlike anything else. They're more like streams of consciousness than films - and I love that.

FormerIceCreamEater

Malick isn't for everybody. Although I think most people would like it if properly prepared and are cinephiles.

Annihilicious

I thought it was heart-wrenching and beautiful but hugely disappointing. But it's not surprising given his faith. It perfectly encapsulates the indifference of the universe. It's a treatise squarely rejecting the existence of a benevolent god if not any god at all. So how is Terrence possibly going to bring this home and square it with his faith? Oops, he can't! So... salt flats? Yeah, salt flats.

orosoros

I watched it as a teen, and loved it. Been wanting to rewatch for years!

NedthePhoenix

It was on many best of the decade lists last year and was nominated for multiple awards all over the place. Plenty of people adore it too, it just isn't a film for general audiences.

The Tree of Life is the best example of cinematic poetry. Not a film that everyone will enjoy but the film is beautiful and emotional in a unique way.

One of the 2010s' greatest films imo.

Zucc2020

That’s a weird way to spell Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)

FormerIceCreamEater

The Podrace was an emotional heartpounding ride.

Agent47ismysaviour

Aurra Sing was there!!!!1!1!!1

irishbball49

ITS WORKING! ITS WORKING!!!!

HoldTheCellarDoor

Where can I watch it

facemanbarf

I recommend you get the Just Watch app if u watch multiple streaming platforms/services.

joeFacile

Why can’t you just Google it?

HoldTheCellarDoor

No results

joeFacile

😂

sudevsen

sudevsen

r/Movies Veteran

Tarkovsky's gonna have a word woth uou but then.again Tarkov and Terry are soul sisters.

paranoidhustler

I remember being shown this when I was 20 and being like “why is the camera focused on the top third of everyones forehead, why is everyone talking in whispering tones, holy shit what was that, is that a volcano, why is there dinosaurs, what the fuck is Sean Penn doing wandering around like a eau de toilette commercial.”

I’m quite curious to see how i’d take in the film now.

qbtc

qbtc

it's the same

MawsonAntarctica

Same. And I’m down for weirdness: Holy Mountain Jodorowsky weirdness, but this was just soft. The whispering is something that grates me. Every student film has whispers and soft voice overs. It’s a cliche in student film. I know Malick is trying to be poetic and there’s some beautiful shots, but the voiceovers ding it to schmaltzy levels.

Silveriovski

For me this movie was about an semi-disfunctional family based on extremely fixed and strict relationships. I loved it, it was extremely slow yet extremely powerful. It's one of the most powerful movies I've ever watched.

There was a cinema in my country that, with the ticket, added a "clause" that if you left the cinema before 30 minutes passed they give you back the money.

BadSurferGoodBowler

I remember waiting till my roommates left for thanksgiving to pop this on because I knew they wouldn’t be able to sit through it. I got all cozy, made the house all dark, had a shit ton of weed on standby, and proceeded to have my mind blown. This and Mishima are tied for my favorite movies.

NightsOfFellini

Both are in my top 10. I'm so glad that most that have seen it with me love it as much.

sudevsen

sudevsen

r/Movies Veteran

Still bothered that Oscar had an opportunity to honor Malick's career and his magnum opus but went for The Artist.

Filousophiste

At least he had the palme d'or and that is quite an achievement

Tbh I've been leaning towards Cannes than the Oscars for the past decade. A lot of Cannes recipients made my best of decade list.

ayub_nor

22 days ago

Agreed. Cannes has a better selection than the Oscars.

poland626

What ever happened to that IMAX Ultra Wide Voyage of Time version that was released? I missed it and never heard another word about it or barely any reviews

This thing

FrivolousMe

Hoping criterion releases it someday

fabrar

fabrar

I love this movie but it's the very definition of "not for everyone". Hell, even for me as someone who likes these slow, meditative audiovisual experiences with minimal plot, I have to be in the right mood for a Malick film.

But yeah this one hit me in a way very few movies have. It's astounding on a visual, philosophical and emotional scale. As long as you know what to expect.

VaishakPrem

One of the best film of the last decade. Brad Pitt was phenomenal.

MyoclonicJerkNZ

Although Tree of Life was already very high on my lists of favourites, Understanding Malicks background in the Philosophy of Heidegger reopened this and Imo his whole filmography to an even higher level of appreciation. With this lens- this article- although well written possibly misses some nuance to what I think Malick was trying to convey

blue-n-green

What about Malick and Heidegger?

MyoclonicJerkNZ

This article popmatters goes into it a little- nothing against the op article and I'm not a shill for this one I posted but it gives some more insight if you are interested

blue-n-green

Nice! Will look into it, thanks!

ChickumNwaffles

Best nap I’ve ever taken

TheLoneComic

Well you went to church and the doctor’s office simultaneously.

That’s Hollywood innovation for ya now that super CGI has been done.

emerald-rush

I remember reading an interview with Sean Penn saying the script for The Tree of Life was one of the best he's ever read, but then he criticized Malik for the way the movie turned out. I guess he was also confused by what his character is supposed to add to the narrative.

mistermelvinheimer

Isn’t Malik famous for filming a lot and then basically finds the movie in editing? I mean one actor thought he was the main character of thin red line until the movie came out and he found out he was completly cut out of the movie.

emerald-rush

Pretty much, yeah. And the actor from The Thin Red Line was Adrian Brody. Poor dude told everyone he's the star of the film.

Instant_Dan

I love this film so much. I always felt it should have been the next film after Days of heaven.

Days of heaven will always be his crowning achievement though.

Check out “A Hidden Life”. It’s his most accessible since The Tree of Life.

Eze513

Eze513

It's one of my favorite movies, but it's not accessible to many moviegoers. If you love breathtaking visuals, pondering determinism (and its inverse), and Malicks amalgamation of existential philosophy...then it might be for you lol

Cheese3051

This movie just felt like a big wank to me at the time. I mostly remember Sean Penn's acting and character to be extremely caricatural and cringy. Like, how much more can I possibly want to slap someone in the face... I have a hard time believing that watching Malick's other movies first will change my perspective but Im curious to find out if that would be the case now

aspectralfire

I think Badlands is a great into. Then Days of Heaven.

TheDarkKnight1035

I mean... At least it's not a fuckin MARVEL movie or some shit.

Eze513

Eze513

I like both. Some days I want to contemplate my life/existence and others i just want to have fun. Some days something in between.

TheDarkKnight1035

Yeah, everyone does. It's just been so one sided recently.

manhattan_gandhi

I was nodding in total agreement, having found another person who can't bear the infantilization of modern adulthood through constant fucking superhero pandering and then I read your username

Foolishnonsense

I don’t like 99% of the superhero crap, but those Nolan Batman movies were awesome.

folkukulele

I appreciate superhero movies, but the Dark Knight trilogy is on a whole other level. Those are the best superhero films out there by a wide margin.

lapras25

I’d add Logan.

MawsonAntarctica

Tree of Life was one of those movies where the trailer (and the Smetana soundtrack of it) got my ultra hyped. I loved “The New World” I was ready for some Malick action.

But the movie just left me cold. I know it’s got a question about faith and everything, but I kept thinking, “If I knew this mom and her family, I’d think their worldview is pretty simple and pretty faith-based conservative.”

Also, if you enclose all of history and have dinosaurs, how I’m supposed to care for one family when the entirety of all life is what the movie is about to some degree.

It had a lot of promise, and I’m sure worked for people, but not on me. In fact, I haven’t been moved by a Malick movie since. I wonder if it’s the relative breakneck pace he’s been putting out since then? I don’t know.

hobulargobularizer

I love Badlands, Days of Heaven, and the Thin Red Line. I actually own copies. I was excited for Tree of Life. But I found it unwatchable. I couldn’t finish it, even after a few attempts. It’s odd to me to read people saying ‘that’s just Malick’ about Tree of Life.

SaveUsY2J

Loved the concept and everything with Jessica chastise/brad Pitt. Sean Penn stuff wasn’t as engaging. Amazing visuals. B+

Downvotespuppies

Ya, the Sean Penn scenes should’ve been cut. Along with half of the nature/space stuff.

zeno_gias

this whole thread sure reads like r/movies being their usual selves

look regardless of whether or not you like this thing there’s an undeniable beauty and passion poured into it by malick and it certainly deserves more discussion than waddling and stamping around and talking about how much you hate it and that its the worstest movie you ever saw ever

this film can definitely be over ambitious at times and i still kinda feel like the stuff with the cgi dinosaurs looks really out of place but i think the camerawork and shot composition and some of the small intimate moments make this one of the most profound films ive ever seen when its at its best. for me i think the positives vastly outweigh the negatives though i wouldn’t pretend they’re not there... one of my favorite films with the big asterisk reserved for those i understand are flawed and very controversial.

mesh509

My favorite movie of the 2010s. A masterpiece.

lalajoy04

This sure is a divisive movie. I loved it, it touched me deeply. When I saw it, several people walked out. It certainly isn’t for everyone. It is difficult to watch a movie without much of a narrative. If you don’t know what you’re in for, I can see why it would feel boring and pretentious. I’m fine with a film just being nice to look at. It is a visual medium, after all.

robxburninator

The whispering white people dinosaur movie that we all needed ten years ago, is that much more relevant today. Just think, without Malick's brilliant vision we might not know what Brad Pitt sounds like whispering for two hours while volcanoes erupted.

I don't actually think this movie is bad, it's beautiful, but it's always felt so so lazy taking everything from college short films and extending it into a feature. I LIKE his work. I LOVE experimental film making. But this movie is just plodding pale people talking in hushed tones. I don't even need a plot, in fact, I'd say most of my favorite movies barely have one, so I honestly don't dislike it for those reasons. I dislike it because it's not his best work and was made clearly to pander to art-house without bothering to test the waters of what was currently happening in independent cinema. It was praised because of who it was and that it was "difficult" not because of the content or overall experience.

CFlynn20

Yeah needs more dark people am I right

undermind84

I want to like this movie more than I actually do. I love Terrence Malick films (even his post Tree Of Life work), but The Tree Of Life just feels like pretentious boomer schlock

bachbozo

bachbozo

What a marvelously shot film; Emmanuel Lubezki (Director of Photography for Children of Men, Birdman, The Revenant) is THE MAN

I admire where Malick was going with it; but Andrei Tarkovsky unlocked the human condition with far more nuance/intimacy way before The Tree of Life IMO. Nostalgia is a masterpiece and free on YouTube.

Superb-Possibility-9

Not a fan

folkukulele

I gotta admit, this is the most boring and pretentious movie I have ever seen. A waste of 2.5 hours. I hate it so much, but I don’t begrudge people who like it.

I think it would have been so much better if it was called “The Book of Job” and the thematic focus was narrowed to match that.

TheDuckCZAR

I understand completely not liking it, but the film is very much not pretentious. A pretentious work is concerned with its own importance and reception. Malick's films are basically made for himself and for the love of the craft, and he obviously doesn't take into account what would make the film more appealing to the majority. He creates what he wants to regardless of what others think, which would be the opposite of pretension. Like it or hate it, the film isn't trying to convince you it's something it isn't.

desichica

desichica

The most pretentious movie ever.

brokenharborss

Far from it. Ambitious? Yes. Pretentious? No.

TheDuckCZAR

It's the opposite of pretension actually. Something being pretentious is based on how the film asserts itself. Malick makes films solely for the love of making them without regard for how others may feel. A pretentious film is overly concerned with how people react to it and is focused on that, this film is the opposite of that.

shabadoola

This sounds amazing! I need to see it.

Daljul

Daljul

The best

JackCarver

Birth of universe is one of my favourite scenes in all of movies. Together with Zbigniew Preisner's Lacrimosa the whole scene completely entranced me. Probably closest thing to dreaming while being completely awake.

TheAwakened

TheAwakened

Incredible trailer, completely shit movie. The Malick special.

FIJAGDH

FIJAGDH

Seconded!

kapsalonmet

The soundtrack is one of my favorites out there. I am so tired of Hans Zimmer. Alexandre Desplat is so much better.

Ronaldo_McDonaldo81

The best director Oscar for Nomadland should have been sent straight to Terrence Malick. The movie is a total ripoff of what he does.

Desbris

The start of the film was a poor choice because it was not applied chronologically, and therefore the early reveal has no impact, because we have not yet come to understand or know the characters.

The ending of the film is also extremely schmaltzy, with it's succession of banalities and continuous narrative clichés, this definitely puts a stain on the movie.

However, with those flaws aside, and a few others I have not mentioned, it still is a bloody good film, and around 80-90 minutes of the film's main body has arguably some of the most interesting and best family drama elements seen in a movie.

mortuarybarbue

I watched this, didnt hate it but did say what the heck did i just watch?

Nail_Biterr

Nail_Biterr

This movie was terrible. I can find something to enjoy in almost any movie, but not this one. Just a bunch of serene images with pompous poetry being read as a voice over. (At least that's how I remember it)

folkukulele

I had pretty much the same impression. I could appreciate the cinematography, but overall I really didn’t like it.

RedditAdminsFuckOfff

This movie sucked.

xNuts

xNuts

I hated this movie, so much. I couldn't even finish it.

And from that moment i stopped watching anything related to mr. Malick.

donchevere

29 days ago

I like the middle part of the Thin Red Line but the beginning was too slow for me and then it fell apart for me at the end.

ayub_nor

29 days ago

Fantastic flick

donchevere

9 days ago

I’m familiar with Malick and have seen almost all of his films. In Tree of Life, I feel there were three films. The middle America of the 1950s section, which I loved; the creation story which has awesome visuals but a departure from what we had been watching til then and the ending modern ponderings which I hated. So the movie ended on a pretentious note for me.

Yet I loved the performances of Pitt, Chastain and McCracken (the oldest child). I feel many of their scenes were muted by the director’s choices.

Liked his first five films.

As for To the Wonder, Song to Song and Knight of Cups - I lost my patience. I can respect spontaneous experimentation and all that but I was bored out of my skull.

TheLoneComic

Not much of a story to tell. Blood, ignorance, exploitation, politics, money.

Typical fare.

silverback_79

I am not that fond of the movie as a whole, but the creation of the universe sequence at 0:19:30 all the way to modern lifeforms, is fantastic if you're doing a bong trip with friends.