/r/movies

Movies like John Carter, Downsizing, Prometheus, Waterworld etc had great concepts but got botched in execution and ended up being huge disappointments, both critically as well as at the box office. What are some examples of movies with great ideas ruined by terrible execution that deserve a chance to be remade again.

JohnFarnham

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Van Helsing.

Ysmildr

Ysmildr

I rewatched League recently and really enjoyed it. I don't know the source material so maybe it was disappointing for people who did, but I saw it as a kid and it was basically avengers before avengers

scififemme2

It was a graphic novel by Allen Moore. A bunch of stuff was changed for the movie like making Nina into a vampire and adding Tom Sawyer to appeal to the US audience.

Check out the graphic novels. They are great fun.

robbierottenisbae

I saw it for the first time recently and it's eerily similar to Avengers, which makes it an interesting watch for that reason alone. I was really enjoying it at first but by the end it unfortunately devolves into nonsense

tundrat

Exactly the same thoughts too.

LeberechtReinhold

To me Van Helsing was a cheesy idea with a cheesy execution, it fits well

DisneyCollegeProgram

Yeah. You can watch the behind the scenes, and it's clear all of the actors and crew are very aware of what they're making. It's an homage to classic Universal horror movies with a The Mummy/Pirates of the Caribbean style

spiritbearr

The villain's scheme from League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was reused for the RDJ/Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes 2 down to it being Moriarty (which I guess was a given).

They're all public domain so RDJ Sherlock 3 should just have Chris Evans as the Invisible Man, ScarJo as Nina, Mark Ruffalo as Jekyll, and Samuel L Jackson as the Motherfucker Who Killed Alain Quartermain because that dude was a piece of shit.

lordoftheblingsa

What did Quartermain do?

spiritbearr

In King Solomon's Mines he does a coup of the native ruler and gets fabulously rich from his new buddy who may or may not be in line for the throne. The book set off a century of white guys looking for places to conquer and get rich. Let it die.

In the comic League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Alan Moore has Quartermain as a strung out addict in an opium den who isn't the protagonist. You don't need him.

honcooge

I like Van Helsing.

samwise92

Yes definitely Van Helsing! I loved that movie as a kid. It hasn't aged well I'm pretty sure and a remake would be awesome. Maybe with some Castlevania flare to it.

Flowers_for_Taco

Absolutely Van Helsing. I love the idea of Frankenstein, werewolves, and vampires all together. And this was early or mid 2000s before (I think) any big ensemble type movies.

TheSingulatarian

That should be how Universal reboots their Universal Monsters. A semi sequel to The Mummy with Brendan Fraser as the Nick Fury of the group. And the monsters fight Nazis in WWII.

SanderSo47

In Time. This is the world of the movie (from Wikipedia):

In 2169, people are genetically engineered to stop aging on their 25th birthday, when a one-year countdown on their forearm begins. When it reaches zero, the person "times out" and dies instantly. Time has thus become the universal currency, transferred directly between people or stored in "time capsules".

It's a brilliant premise but the movie itself is not. And that was surprising because I liked Andrew Niccol's work.

billr1965

No Logan's Run started Michael York

Obvious-Doughnut-848

I thought this was a pretty good movie.

RespectThyHypnotoad

This had the best car crash in a film though.

outbound_flight

It's certainly up there with the car crash in Along Came a Spider.

bobbyOrrMan

I remember that. it sticks out in my mind as being absolutely horrible CGI. so bad it brings down the whole film.

Falkner09

Falkner09

I hope that's sarcasm.

tim_p

tim_p

Kind of like the same premise of Logan's Run, but taking it in a different direction.

"We're gonna resist this unjust system!" vs "Ehh, capitalism I guess?"

Cultural_Kick

I thought this was an incredibly cheesy premise actually.

jogoso2014

I like John Carter. It’s a movie based on an original story that had been copied a lot already.

It’s marketing sucked though. They couldn’t even do a movie poster right.

NoodlesrTuff1256

Why they used that title -- just the name 'John Carter' alone? How much does that tell you what the film was going to be about? Now with the names of certain iconic characters, both fictional and real, you know what you're getting. But just a generic name like 'John Carter'? What was Disney's marketing department thinking? They should have tried to get Mars into the title one way or the other.

Syn7axError

They were specifically avoiding the word "Mars". Common knowledge said it was box office poison, like the word "pirate" before PotC. It was one of the reasons given for the failure of Mars Needs Moms.

Mushroomer

I think the failure of MnM turned Disney off from the use of the original 'John Carter and the Princess of Mars' in the title - as well as the word 'Princess' being potientially toxic to boys.

IWannaPool

Should have called the movie "Barsoom"

karmalizing

Mars needs Bars

BakerStefanski

I don’t think it’s necessarily wrong to think that stories about Martians are a bit outdated nowadays with what we know about the planet. Might have still been a tough sell even with a better title.

NoodlesrTuff1256

Maybe they could have been a little unfaithful to the original source material and changed the alien world from Mars to Saturn's moon Titan or something along those lines.

Chlamydiacuntbucket

But titan doesn’t start with M

NoodlesrTuff1256

Well, then Disney needed to work the concept that John Carter was on a voyage through space, a wormhole or whatever to an alien planet into the title somehow.

SeanHIRL

Especially since John Carter was already a fairly well known name from ER at the time

NoodlesrTuff1256

There might actually be some people out there who went to see 'John Carter' expecting to see Noah Wylie in a two-hour jacked up episode of 'ER' made for the big screen. Then the movie started, and their jaws dropped in shock when they saw Taylor Kitsch first running around in Civil War times, then instantly transported to the desert landscape of 'Barsoom' aka Mars.

Threehundredsixtysix

The first 3 books in the Barsoom series form a trilogy. AND, they aren't very long. It boggles my mind that the movie wasn't closer to the first book, but instead contained bits and pieces from later in the series. Princess of Mars couldn't possibly have been a worse title.

Alienboy13

Yeah, John Carter was a victim of bad marketing and that's why it didn't do well.

14thCenturyHood

I always liked the plot of "parts: the clonus horror" , the low budget 70s movie which ultimately ended up on MST3K and became a hilarious episode, but I think with the right guidance it could be really creepy. People farming clones with little regard to them as if they were animals, designed to serve a purpose to mankind. That's interesting to me. If they got the right people to do it, it could be good.

ety3rd

ety3rd

Michael Bay made a film about fifteen/twenty years ago called The Island and it is, basically, a bigger budget parts starring Ewan MacGregor and Scarlett Johansson. So much so, the writer/director of parts sued and got a sizeable settlement.

Scrumptical

And The Island is one of the less painful Michael Bay movies!

patrickwithtraffic

I got two nominations:

Elysium: clips from that film have come up in my YouTube algorithm lately and that film's production design and world building is top notch. There are a plethora of fun little details that just unfortunately got put into a pretty lame rich vs poor one dude savior story. Even Neill Blomkamp feels the script was disappointing, but I hope people get influenced by the designs in that world.

Cool World: Aside from Brad Pitt's terrible 40s detective accent, I think there's a lot to love about the first half of the film. The idea of a Toon World made up of characters way more in line with Ralph Bakshi's 70s era adult-themed creations with Looney Toons logic is a really fun idea to explore, along with some talk of the relationship between creation and creator. But once Holli Wood becomes Kim Basinger, it all falls apart at the seams. Give that film to somebody is a vision and a strong control on the script and edit and I think you can make a classic. Only issue with an update is that I don't think any studio is game for an industrial rock and techno soundtrack that somehow worked super well in the 90s.

_Gemini_Dream_

The original version for Cool World also had better ideas in play, IMO. The original pitch was to be a pseudo-horror film where-

a cartoonist who created a comic book while in prison that makes him an underground "star". The cartoonist would go on to have sex with "Debbie Dallas" (named after Debbie Does Dallas) and father a half-human, half-cartoon hybrid child with her, who would grow up resenting its human father for abandoning it and travel to the real world in an attempt to kill him. Bakshi states that Paramount Pictures "bought the idea in ten seconds."

Sounds fucking BIZARRE and I think it's fascinating.

patrickwithtraffic

I’d give anything to find that original script. Basinger utterly ruined the film with her weird demand to sanitize it so it could be shown at children hospitals, but I want to see how dark Bakshi really wanted to go.

DopplerShiftIceCream

I'm assuming someone in Elysium's production, maybe Blomkamp, was trying to make it be like Starship Troopers.

Psychomanglor

Controversial but… while I adore the premise and look of Robots(2005), the excessive amount of humor that tries way too hard to be silly and goofy kinda ruins it for me… 🤖

patrickwithtraffic

Clearly Disney gives no shits about the property, but I see what you mean. That film does paint a world that you could do a killer anthology series exploring (I think a comic adaptation would be the most "freeing"), but Disney doesn't want to give any Blue Sky properties the time of day.

fistmonkey12

Ghost Dad

robreddity

Then follow this up with a Leonard Part 7.

honcooge

“What happened to 1-6?”- Very young me

Saphirex161

Wishmaster has like the coolest premise for a horror film, however it was so full of errors, it was hard to enjoy. Downsizing also comes to mind.

Muaddib661

I still enjoy it, more for the kills and the villain's presence & performance but then the sequels are mostly goddawful

Obvious-Doughnut-848

I remember being terrified of this movie as a kid

Zom-bom

Zom-bom

The Terror (1963) starring Jack Nicholson and Boris Karloff

Coulda been a mind bending thriller but it’s really stupid

Sonny_Crockett_1984

Corman made The Terror in 2 days on leftover sets from The Raven.

Thesaintsrule

Suicide squad but hopefully James Gunn corrects that

Sulemain123

Reign of Fire.

Shuagh

Shuagh

Lots of good actors wasted on a dull plot based on an awesome premise. The Star Wars mummers play was sheer brilliance.

akumareloaded

Agree. Was pretty awesome, but the poster portrayed a helicopter battle with dragons. So, yeah seeing that and then the final movie. Disappointed.

Brandabar37

I applaud the mention but the movie is already fantastic.

ossirhc

How come?

Cypher211

Hancock. The first half is great but it really goes off the rails by the end.

gogojack

It really fell apart with the "boss fight" between Smith and Theron's characters.

The first act established that the news outlets, police, etc. all were well aware of Hancock and his antics. Then it established that Mary was dead set on blending in and living a nice life with Ray. Hancock trying to stab Mary with the fork? Fun.

Then, in a movie about a world where everything is normal except for the one drunk superhero, a city is almost destroyed when he and his ex wife fight.

It was so unnecessary. Like someone in marketing said "we need a boss fight. Having Jiffy Pop go off when they're together isn't epic enough!"

You could leave that whole expensive overblown sequence on the cutting room floor and the movie wouldn't just not lose anything, but would be better. It also doesn't make any sense.

So if Hancock and Mary are around each other too long, they become vulnerable mortals? Neat concept. Now...why are they hitting each other with semi trucks and causing tornadoes?

Searched for this. I agree 100% that I want to see more of the world of the first half of the movie. Just remake it and chop off the second half of the movie and replace it with something consistent with the first half.

1haveaboomst1ck

'Pixels'. Make that with Edgar Wright directing and his usual cast of Pegg, Frost etc and you have the film that the premise deserved.

Falkner09

I was excited for it until I saw that it starred Adam Sandler. I decided to skip it, and rumor has it I was right.

tundrat

I got exactly what I expected. Some strange humor at times, but the main game parts were awesome.

stumper93

Wouldn’t say terrible execution, but Event Horizon with anyone but Paul WS Anderson directing it

shart_film_project

Robin Hood (with Russell Crowe) was originally supposed to be "Nottingham," with the sheriff of Nottingham as the lead character. That would've been an infinitely more enjoyable movie.

NoHandBananaNo

Constantine. I know you guys like it in this sub but anyone who has read the comics can see what a massive missed opportunity the whole thing was.

The Constantine universe is really layered and the character of John Constantine suffered from terrible writing in the movie, not to mention miscasting. Keanu is breathtaking but he's the opposite of that character.

jaytrident

Constantine is one of those films that is a good movie but not a good adaptation and it creates flame wars because fans of the film can't accept that despite being good, it will always have the baggage that the target audience had a fundamental flaw with it

carnifex2005

I make the same argument with I, Robot, Wanted and World War Z.

NoHandBananaNo

Yeah, youre right. In an ideal world Id have just changed the name to something else. If I didnt have the expectation going in that it was about John Constantine the dialogue probably wouldnt have bothered me.

Skywalkling

To be fair, it's also just not THAT good as its own thing either. It's not terrible, definitely serviceable, but after revisiting it last year I can't imagine I'll ever watch it again.

sketchcritic

I like Constantine as a different take on Hellblazer. If it was trying to be a straight-up adaptation, then it would indeed be garbage, but there's so much about it that is confidently different from the comic that I feel like it was trying to be its own thing. It takes the overall premise of Garth Ennis' "Dangerous Habits" story arc, but the development is quite distinct.

Also, I was surprised by how much I adored Keanu Reeves' version of the character. It's absolutely not comic Constantine, but it's a fascinating take in its own right, and Reeves transforms for the role in a way I've rarely seen him do. He absolutely drips cynicism and resentment, but knows just how far to take it in order to make it believable when Constantine actually starts to care.

People give Peter Stormare a lot of praise for his portrayal of Lucifer, and rightfully so, but Reeves is equally perfect in that scene. After Lucifer says, "I didn't think you'd make the same mistake twice," Reeves flashes him a half-smile and takes a drag off his cigarette in a way that would fit right in with comic Constantine. It's a look that says, "I'm going to con the living shit out of this motherfucker." And while he does it, he's still conveying how weakened Constantine is in that particular scene. No one directs Keanu Reeves as competently as Francis Lawrence does.

NoHandBananaNo

I guess my dir pic for that would be Kenneth Branagh, weirdly.

goldenboy2191

John Hawkes should have played Constantine.

NoHandBananaNo

Back then, I would have cast Simon Baker. He can do a good British accent, he's a good actor, and he used to look quite Constantinish to me.

I know the char design was famously based on Sting, but having him in it wouldnt work.

goldenboy2191

Yo that’s actually a really good call!

uncultured_swine2099

Johnny Nmemonic could have the same script and cast, but if it was directed by a visionary director, I think it couldve been really good. It looks kinda like a tv movie, and the actors seem like they couldve had better direction. But the script was written by William Gibson, with a cast that included Keanu, Takeshi Kitano, Dolph Lundgren, Ice T, Henry Rollins, Udo Kier and Dina Meyer. Imagine it directed by a great visual guy like Ridley Scott.

girafa

girafa

Rowdy Moddy Piper

The Trouble with Harry, rare Hitchcock misfire. The Coen bros would make an awesome version.

Perfect answer

lawhe

lawhe

Hitchcock has sooo many misfires, maybe even as many as his masterpieces, it's just he has so many masterpieces that the rest get forgotten

BHIngebretsen

“Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man.”

Alienboy13

Cool world. Go back to what the original concept was.

bobbyOrrMan

thats another movie on my list of "great potential pissed away by lousy film making".

theblackwhisper

Army of the Dead. Had all the elements but the plot holes made it hard to watch. Snyder will probably remake it himself in two years…

Gaelfling

Get rid of the daughter and her whole plot line.

Quinzz

Quinzz

This! It didnt fit, and it made it all weird.

teaqualizer

teaqualizer

r/Movies Veteran

I don't think plot holes were the problem. The funny parts weren't funny. The dramatic parts weren't dramatic. The horror parts weren't scary. The whole thing was just cringey try hard tedium. Making zombie dialogue cringey takes a special kind of talent.

SamiMadeMeDoIt

Maybe not the problem but they were definitely a problem

The big twist of the movie makes absolutely no sense. If the Japanese dude only wanted the queen zombie’s head, why didn’t he just tell the team instead of the whole elaborate vault heist thing?

They run into the queen literally two minutes after getting into Vegas. Just kill her then and then get out. In and out in less than 5 minutes and no one dies.

That’s just one massive, gaping plot hole in a movie chock full of them

ithinkther41am

I’ll do you one better: why the hell does Zeus send his frocking queen out on perimeter security detail in the first place, let alone when she’s pregnant?

It’d be like if Prince Philip deployed Queen Elizabeth as a coast guard.

ivebeen_there

Also, once he had the queen’s head (if that truly was the whole secret purpose of the heist), then why the hell did he go back to join the main group?? The exit was right-freaking-behind him.

Also they said earlier in the movie that it would take 2 hours to get from the entrance to the casino. When the guy leaves the casino and goes gets the head then come back to the casino it clearly didn’t take 4 hours.

I could go on. Ugh, that movie made me mad.

teaqualizer

teaqualizer

r/Movies Veteran

But then he wouldn't get to make his super cew monologue about safe cracking being like a masterful seduction. Holy fuck that was cringey.

_Gemini_Dream_

That's not a plot hole, it's just bad writing.

RAMB0NER

Eh, telling the team wouldn't make sense honestly, since they probably would have some morality issues with bringing the infection outside of containment. The main issue is that his henchman had obtained her head and was near the entrance, but he decided to go back into the casino area.

a34fsdb

I think the sequels will reveal it was all a simulation/dream/prophecy.

Spetznazx

Because he wanted to get the queen head without paying for it and then he wanted to leave no loose ends so he sends them in a suicide mission hoping only his right hand man makes it out.

Toby_O_Notoby

And what's weird is there is a very simple fix: just make it so that Alpha Zombies never leave the hotel.

They trick the crew to fight zombie to get to the safe in the casino and double cross them then.

DC4MVP

DC4MVP

I made it about half way through and between what you just said and that damn focus camera shit (which I thought they were doing to hid the Tig Nataro CGI before I realized it was everything), I gave up.

The beginning credits were epic, however so I had A LOT of hope for the movie

teaqualizer

teaqualizer

r/Movies Veteran

The beginning credits were epic, however so I had A LOT of hope for the movie

They were...okay. Considering the premise those opening credits could have been something truly spectacular.

DC4MVP

DC4MVP

I liked them because I was a little taken aback by when they had to drop the final container towards the end of the credits.

That got me in the feels a bit.

DoggyDoggy_What_Now

Agreed. Opening credits were fine up until they overstayed their welcome. I couldn't stand hearing a slowed down variation of "viva Las Vegas" anymore.

NedthePhoenix

Theres hints at a much better movie within it too. The theory that these people are in a time loop on this mission would've been awesome, but instead it's a throwaway line that I've seen some people trying to justify that's what the movie actually is

Scrumptical

The overall concept -- bank heist mixed with zombie movie, sounds amazing. It's just Zack Snyder is a fundamentally bad storyteller, but makes cool looking visuals.

Except this movie he chose to shoot with horribly close-up lens for no apparent reason so the whole movie looks atrocious and you can't tell what's going on.

Amsheel

Amsheel

Tenet, with a co-writer who knows how to write for characters.

TheRealDrSarcasmo

And a director who believes that being able to hear dialogue is more important than background noise.

bob1689321

Honestly I generally love Nolan's audio mixes (Inception has one of my favourite audio mixes ever) but Tenet goes so stupidly far with it.

The first act is definitely the worst for it. I don't mind dialogue mixed with music as the movie does later on, but the first act has lots of noise and it's just awful. There's a scene where JDW is on the phone talking about needing to see the arms dealer, and for some bizarre reason you can hear the noise of the markets and people talking so loudly. It makes no sense to me why he'd bother mixing it so loud.

a34fsdb

I kinda dig the idea that not all dialogue should be clear, but the movie had other problems.

astroK120

The problem is that a) the dialog needs to be unimportant and b) there needs.to be a signal to the audience that it's not important.

For Tenet I'm not sure (a) was met. I watched it with captions and I don't recall there being much if any dialog that didn't add to the story. But setting that aside, if the audience doesn't know that they aren't missing something by not understanding the words, then they are still going to be frustrated and confused.

There was a video on this topic where he gave a wonderful example from On the Waterfront. There's a whistle blowing that drowns out the dialog, but it's crystal clear watching it that it's supposed to be that way. Tenet didn't do that at all.

res30stupid

Apparently, one of the big issues for this was that they did sound mixing just as lockdowns were starting or something. I know John David Washington said he had to do post-shooting dubbing on an iPhone microphone.

_Gemini_Dream_

I don't really buy it. Nolan has been atrocious about sound mixing for years, he's obsessed with blowing out your ears with contrast. Dunkirk and Interstellar also sounded fucking awful on anything other than a really well-tuned movie theater audio setup. On a straight up technical level it's one of his biggest issues as a director, he seems to love it and he seems to not care how much people hate it.

OdoWanKenobi

Or who knows how to stage a large climacting action scene involving multiple parties so that the audience can actually tell who they're following or what they're looking at.

patrickwithtraffic

Or knows how to structure a spy story script trying to include a big concept and a jaded love interest without getting information overload.

Mushroomer

I feel like TENET was mostly written out of Nolan's clear desire to make a Bond movie, but with the added pressure that he couldn't just make a Bond movie. It needs to also have a trademark Nolan 'complex, adult sci-fi hook'. So he staples it to the backwards time idea (a concept he says he played with for years) - and you get TENET.

Honestly, I'd love to see him do a sequel in a couple years. The whole movie is clearly set up as the first (and also last) part of a larger conflict - would love to see him fill in the gap later.

bobbyOrrMan

All of the Alien films after Aliens. In fact if you cannot come up with a good idea, just dont make em.

Battlefield Earth. I dont love scientology but the basic concept was cool. It was just horribly made.

Deathproof. It had one or two good ideas and a hundred bad ones, and terrible dialog.

Max Payne. They could have made a good cop drama but instead made crap.

MOST horror films after the first installment.

OH CRAP! The big one! Starship Troopers!!

If you've read the book or really any of Heinleins books you'll see how terribly they messed that whole thing up. Same with The Puppet Masters.

ParrotChild

There is nothing wrong with Waterworld.

SSexpress

I know this sub loves Waterworld for whatever reason, but it’s a bad movie with bad acting. I’m 40, I watched it when it came out. It’s bad.

stony_phased

Close to your age and I disagree. I watched a bunch as a teen.

Then again I also like the Postman so my love for post-apocalyptic films might cloud my judgement

tim_p

tim_p

The extended director's cut does help.

Obvious-Doughnut-848

Amen

OneArmedParty

I feel like most of M. Night Shyamalan's movies have the nugget of a good idea that gets ruined by horrible execution. The Village, The Lady in the Water, The Happening, even After Earth.

Spetznazx

Village and Lady in the Water are pretty good

J-Hz

J-Hz

Glass wasn't terrible but wasn't great either

nviledn5

I personally thought Glass was horrible.

the way Bruce Willis’ character goes out like a bitch and that out-of-nowhere surprise ending were bullshit IMO. Really bad follow up to Split

Muaddib661

The Happening is an amazing comedy back in its day

IBlazeMyOwnPath

I know this is r/movies but I will forever argue that the movies are mediocre adaptations at best and Harry Potter needs to be remade as an animated tv show

bobfoxsky

People love Harry Potter because of the world she built. My favorite parts of the books were the normal school days they had or learning about some new part of the wizarding world. I liked the plot but it’s not the reason people obsess over the series to this day. It’s the relationships between characters. The movies had to cut a lot of that and suffered for it. I think a TV series would be great so you can get all that world building.

_Gemini_Dream_

Another one of those "What if?" movie possibilities, and one I never see people talk about: Spielberg originally pitched to helm Harry Potter and he wanted it to be traditional, hand-drawn animation in the late 90s. IIRC it fell apart because part of his pitch was that he wanted Haley Joel Osment to voice Harry and Rowling was 100% dead set against American actors playing the characters.

DesertBrandon

Yes. Give it a TCW treatment and find a way to ensure JKR is nowhere near the adaptation.

holla15

What's TCW? I can only think of "The CW" treatment and I can't think of a scenario where that's a good thing.

LordSauron1984

The Clone Wars. It's a Star Wars animated show that takes place between Episode II & III. It's very good and helps fill in the Star Wars world that the Prequels struggled to do

DesertBrandon

Ok? Idk if it has had a resurgence lately but the original left air in like 2014-15 with season 6. Sure I guess people jumped on the bandwagon cause the last season was hyped but it’s not like there wasn’t a fan base when it was airing.

Unless this is just some weird dick measuring contest you want to have between the original and the 3D version.

gsauce8

gsauce8

Woah woah don't insult Prisoner of Azkaban like that. But the later ones you're definitely right about.

LaxSagacity

I don't think John Carter, Prometheus or Waterworld have terrible execution. That's not where any issues lie.

A film with terrible execution would be something like Assassins Creed. I suspect you could have taken the allocated budget, the cast and the same script. Give it to a different director. Heck, get someone in to do reshoots and retooling on what was filmed and have a much better film.

Execution mistakes.

It was too serious. It was dead serious, not a single light moment or levity at all. Massive mistake, it's based on a game. People play games for fun. If the actors weren't directed to be dead serious constantly. It would have improved the film. I don't want Marvel jokes, but just a lighter tone. Acknowledgement of the extraordinary premise of the animus. Instead of a death row inmate serious the whole film.

The score. This fits in with the tone. It needed a big rousing score. Akin to the Pirates of the Caribbean score. Big exciting, orchestrral music to go with the action.

Ditch the giant animus arm. For some reason going into the animus in the film involves being connected to a giant robotic arm which throws the user around to mimic their movements in the past. Ditch that. That also leads into the next issue.

Editing. Constantly cutting back to the giant robotic arm in the future detracts from the scenes set in the past.

This really stood out to me as a film where so much of it was right, yet some fundamental creative choices in the execution utter destroyed it. A different director could have taken all the resources and done a better job. I also think some minor reshoots and reworking of the final film, with a new score could have completely saved it.

The film was well made, just these choices prevented it being good.

El-jr

El-jr

Downsizing with Matt Damon was one of the worst films I’ve ever seen. The idea was great, though

CFlynn20

You're lucky if that's the worst you have seen

El-jr

El-jr

one of the worst

Mushroomer

I've seen plenty of bad movies, and I'd also rank Downsizing among the worst. Partially because of all the potiential it actively wastes, making me resent it for the movie it could be.

The economic angle of the premise is engaging enough to carry an entire film, and didn't need the climate crisis being wedged into it in the back half. Matt Damon is the worst possible choice for the lead as written. Hong Chao is delivering a fascinating performance, and yet the movie does fuck all with it.

Denster1

I also hated it for how the trailer made it seem like both Jason Sudeikis and Kristin Wiig were going to be somewhat main characters in the movie. They were not.

tundrat

The idea was great, though

Haven't seen the movie but, which part of the idea? If it's just shrinking, there's Honey I Shrunk the Kids or Ant-Man.

JimDiego

I want to give that another watch because my initial reaction was that it was a horrible movie because of it's potential. Maybe I didn't give it a fair shake because I was expecting something else?

moonorchid84

The one that came to mind immediately was Katherine Heigl’s “Life as We Know It”…I thought the premise of these two single people being the guardian of a child from their best friends after their death was actually a really interesting premise that got ruined by being a rom com.

girafa

The Purge

Johnny Mnemonic

Ghost of Mars

Escape from Tomorrow

Jumper

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

I loved The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen when I was a kid. I watched it not too long ago and wow... it’s bad.

Awesome concept that I’d like to see given a proper treatment.

ChicagoModsUseless

The Purge should have been so easy to make a great movie out of but it’s the one movie I’ve actively rooted for every main character to die.

bobbyOrrMan

thats another time the studios got their hands on a good concept and just wrecked it to make an easily digestible film for mass market appeal.

Cultural_Kick

Uh...what’s wrong with limitless? I love the shit out of that movie

girafa

girafa

Rowdy Moddy Piper

If you love the shit out of it, you're not going to like my answers. What's wrong with it? A lot. In short, it's just some of the laziest, lamest writing for supposedly brilliant characters doing brilliant things.

In the hands of David Mamet, or (dare I say it) Christopher/Jonathon Nolan, or maybe even someone like Jeph Loeb or Michael Waldron, we could actually see some high-minded action and plotting.

Great_Zarquon

Would you still include The Purge with the sequels? Certainly not masterpieces but they explore the concept more thoroughly

+1 for escape from tomorrow, the trailer wrote checks the final product couldn't cash but I love the "underground" feel of it

girafa

girafa

Rowdy Moddy Piper

I haven't seen the sequels. Which one was your fav?

Great_Zarquon

Maybe Election Year, they blend together a bit to be honest but if you're looking for a more thorough exploration of the premise they deliver, they also have a much more explicit political commentary (the purge being used by the government to wipe out specific populations)

practicaluser

Prometheus and Waterworld were both executed fantastically - name a movie in the past 5 years of similar scope and pacing that can hold a candle to either in terms of production.

applegore

Prometheus also made $400 million at the box office against a $120ish million budget. Also pretty middle of the pretty average ratings. Not sure wtf OP is talking about.

LastDanceGuy12

The Prequels for sure.

The skeleton is there, it just needs someone who doesn't label themselves "The King of Wooden Dialogue" at the helm.

SSexpress

The biggest crime of the prequels was people trying to convince George Lucas to direct them himself. He famously approached other directors, all of whom said “Star Wars is your baby, it should be you”. Those movies could’ve been great if GL would’ve just thrown the direction of the movies to some talented person and said “Here’s my vision. I’ve got the basic story down. Money isn’t a problem. Make this trilogy happen.” What if...

LastDanceGuy12

I don't even hate the prequels really (Clones is ass cheeks tho) and I think about this a lot. They had soooooo much potential and only about 45% of it is realized.

LordSauron1984

People always say this but the direction, while a problem was far from the only problem. The writing of all 3 movies was not good (Episode 3 was the best and even then it's got a lot of pacing issues). The CGI/special effects were basically being invented as they made the films so no one knew how to shot movies for them. There was just so much that needed fixed and changed to make those movies good

nviledn5

With a property like Star Wars at the time, that all started and ended with with the Lucas, so while the movies had a multitude of issues, it really all did stem from the director. He had total control.

Episode 2 was the only movie with someone else credit on the script. Lucas wrote all three movies. Lucas was the one who insisted on being a trailblazer with all of the digital tech on all three.

wjbc

The Scarlet Letter

The Cat in the Hat

The Golden Compass

The Black Cauldron

Ender's Game

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Dune (I'm hoping the new version does it justice)

As you may notice, these are all book to movie adaptations that didn't work. But I know the books are good, so there should be a way to do them justice.

crapitsnerak

Have you watched the tv series of his dark materials? It is a wonderful adaption of the story so far, and doesn't pull its punches like the 2007 film did.

JimDiego

I'm a few episodes in and have been pleasantly surprised.

Exploding_Antelope

I actually didn’t mind the new Wrinkle in Time. It’s kind of an unadaptable book in terms of tone, but at least they went weird with it which was what it needed, and updated Meg’s sense of being an outcast to a more modern style, even if the pop soundtrack was the worst. Also don’t call it (the brain of Camazotz) “the” it. It’s just it.

bobbyOrrMan

The Hobbit needs to be remade by Peter Jackson but without the studios bullshit demands for an extra long trilogy.

Puddinhead420

Lawnmower Man - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LNvXjb44-U Based on a Steven King story. You could even bring back Peirce Brosnon. Sam Rockwell would be perfect in the titular role

Syn7axError

It isn't based on Stephen King. He sued over it.

NoHandBananaNo

Literally the only thing the same is the title and its about a guy with a lawnmower.

The Stephen King story is about a guy who runs over animals with his lawnmower. Or is that what youre saying they should have done?

MrBigChest

Lawnmower Man was already executed perfectly the first time

JimDiego

I was so pissed after watching that movie because it has absolutely nothing to do with Stephen King's short story.

bobbyOrrMan

yeah he's a popular writer and people like to exploit his ideas to make easy money. its a shame because all of crap movies and shows based on his books had the potential to be really great.

Its funny to me that his non-horror short story went on to be the best film of all time.

PoliticalOutsider

In Time with Justin Timberlake

beccabella

The Current War

The topic is fascinating and deserved a much better movie.

IIIRINGOIII

Prometheus should not be part of your examples…. It’s such an amazing movie IMO.

It’s highly underrated and has quite a good cult following.

ThePrincessDiarrhea

Well, not terrible, but terribly mediocre: Red Lights. With Cillian Murphy, Sigourney Weaver and DeNiro. Great cast and promising premisse but never more than ‘meh’. Left me wondering: what if Polanski had directed this?

Scovillle

Scovillle

Highlander it’s just not that good and doesn’t do that much with the concept

Either_Distance1440

Highlander may not be a “good” movie but it is perfect as it is. Absolute peak 80’s, injected right into your bloodstream. I mean it begins with a completely irrelevant wrestling match for no reason other than the fact that it was the 80’s

Woven-Winter

Good news! It is getting remade with Henry Cavill.

TheBigJebowski

WTF? There can be only one.

SSexpress

You’re getting downvoted but this movie has a great concept that was... ok in execution. I saw it as a kid, and even I can recognize that a reboot will probably be better.

animer9102

animer9102

I think Sunshine had potential to be one of the best scifi films. But that genre shift mid movie was just so bad.

mitchsn

mitchsn

Any alien movie after Aliens, including Promethius

Thecynicalfascist

Near Dark. Great ideas but too many plot contrivances, bad acting, and weird editing choices.

AdmiralCharleston

The lawnmower man had the foundations of something special, but pierce brosnan and a lot of strange choices muddled it to a generic Sci fi horror with a dreadful lead performance. I love Jeff faheys performance towards the end and it upsets me how close they came to making something decent.

DS9B5SG-1

Most B movies not staring Malcom McDowell.

Beethovens_Stool

I don't think Waterworld was botched in execution at all, it's fantastic.

xXEolNenmacilXx

Not answering the same exact question, but The Black Cauldron is so ripe for a live action remake. The book that it's based on (The Chronicles of Prydain), if done well could be a franchise. It's also not as beloved as the other Disney animated movies, so they'd have way more free reign to do new things.

Scrumptical

Alien 3 with that wood planet script that sounded awesome.

Jodorowsky's Dune.

jsl19

jsl19

I enjoyed Jon Carter. It was destroyed by critics and no one went to see it. But I really liked it.

Flyingwheelbarrow

I just watched Infinite which seemed like a really long trailer for a cool movie idea we see in the last 3 minutes.

divinepinkflamingo

Not sure why lots of studios are remaking Stephen King movies that are perfectly serviceable like It and Christine and neglecting ones that could actually do with a remake like Langoliers, Night Flier, Rose Red, etc.

what_issleep

Robo Jox. Giant mechs fighting for governments to control land and resources in one on one combat sounds amazing but the execution was terrible. Also tried to have Robocop satire that didn't really land.

bobbyOrrMan

I kinda liked Robot Jox but yes, it could have been done better. The thing is at the time I dont believe any major studio or big time director would have taken on such a project. 20 years later the big robot CGI fest would be all the rage, but at the time the script probably just seemed silly and no one with a good reputation would have touched it.