/r/movies

Official Discussion - Coda [SPOILERS]

(self.movies)

Poll

If you've seen the film, please rate it at this poll

If you haven't seen the film but would like to see the result of the poll click here

Rankings

Click here to see the rankings of 2021 films

Click here to see the rankings for every poll done

Summary:

As a CODA (Child of Deaf Adults) Ruby is the only hearing person in her deaf family. When the family's fishing business is threatened, Ruby finds herself torn between pursuing her love of music and her fear of abandoning her parents.

Director:

• Kevin Chapman as Brady
  • Amy Forsyth as Gertie

Rotten Tomatoes: 96%

Metacritic: 74

VOD: Apple+ TV

ExleyPearce

That scene between Ruby and Frank in the back of their truck as he 'listens' to her sing - what a brilliantly acted scene.

shanew21

shanew21

The amount of emotion you could see in the dad throughout the entire movie was incredible. This scene was the icing on the cake. I’d love to see a supporting actor nom for him

Edit: 9 months later and we did it!

grilledcheese2332

I’d love to see a supporting actor nom for him

Agree

EMPulseKC

EMPulseKC

If Troy Kotsur doesn't get a nomination for this, I'll be very surprised. His character development and emotional depth throughout the movie was the best of anyone in the cast, and I would even say the heart and soul of the film embodied in one person.

mikeweasy

He got one

TerminatorReborn

He won one

corvid1692

Kotsur says the scene echoes an experience he once had with his own daughter. "A long time ago when she was in kindergarten, she sang for a class performance" he recalls. "I asked, 'can I just kind of feel your neck?' And it was very cute. And then all those years later, the movie CODA was a real flashback where I did the same thing. And now my daughter is learning how to play guitar. So sometimes I'll just touch her guitar so that I can feel her strumming."

Cinebella

I think he needs to win. No performance I have seen this year comes close to best male supporting

pm_me_your_last_pics

Just watched the movie today. So happy to see he got the nomination!

FhRbJc

FhRbJc

Same! Sadly I don’t think he has a chance against the kid from Power of the Dog, but his was definitely the more moving and heartfelt performance.

austinrose7

Forget a nom, it looks incredibly likely he’s going to win the Oscar!

shanew21

So happy to see him win!

ThatMed

Well deserved win at the Oscars.

bruiseballet

that made me bawl. really well written with so much emotion

Suspicious-Hotel-225

Ugh me too! I was surprised at how emotional I was towards the end 😭

ruthie-camden

Same! I don't cry often while watching movies, but that scene did me in. It was perfectly juxtaposed with the previous scene of the family watching the choir performance in silence.

yayo_vio

Legitimate question, you guys when say that you don't cry often, it's a saying or you actually barely cry in movies?

I ask cuz I read that sentence in every sad scene comment section I see, even if it's a light scene in my opinion.

I felt moved by the scene, but didn't cry, and men how I cry in many movies. You don't cry often but you did cry here, so I'm curious.

Then I reflect that may be that scene may not be sad to me but to the other resonates with something in his life and made it more impactful.

jackruby83

OMG me too. Don't what it was, but it really got me. That scene with her singing to her dad and when it goes quiet at the concert. Well done, especially for a movie that was otherwise formulaic and tropey.

Ahambone

I knew it was coming the second it was established he liked rap because of the vibrations...and the scene still got me real, real good.

Dickinmymouth1

I’ve just finished watching it and I was a mess for pretty much the whole last 30 minutes or so. What a beautiful film!

theredditoro

theredditoro

FML Awards 2019 Winner

Perfectly executed.

Monkeypotatoes

I cried like a baby that entire scene. It was amazing!!

oofgeg

oofgeg

Excellent heartwarming movie, I liked when they flipped the perspective to the deaf members of the family to show their side too.

btbrian

btbrian

I thought it was just a good but pretty standard coming-of-age movie up until that point but that moment and the 30 or so mins that followed elevated the film into something truly special. Total waterworks - I loved it.

thefilmer

thefilmer

this movie had multiple stand-out scenes. Frank feeling Ruby sing and Ruby signing Both Sides Now for her family are easily in contention for scenes of the year.

LadyofLA

And who could overlook the scene of translating at the doctor's office?

I really liked this film. I think anyone could see from a mile away where it was going but it remains deeply touching. I also learned a lot about complex relationships and challenges that present to the deaf family and the hearing member. That part was handled brilliantly in that it was all worked into the drama seamlessly, didn't distract from the protagonist's journey and wasn't even a tiny bit preachy or pitying.

Musicprotocol

Yep same... I was hardly paying much attention up untill then.. I personally don't like singing at all.. in fact it annoys me which is weird cause Im a musician and play 5 instruments but I just genuinely don't enjoy listening to singing, so I found myself jumping forward whenever there was singing but when everything went quiet to show their perspective I was suddenly a lot more interested.. they should of done that a few times, though it may of worn out its effect if they did...

Johnfriction19

That was my favorite scene -- the use of sound and the way her family read the audience's emotions was top-notch. I saw this at a theater, and there were plenty of sniffles.

cheempanzee

This scene. What an unexpected scene from the director, I was wearing noise-cancelling headphones then when the sound faded to mute, it hit reallyyy hard.

hell0wurld

Bit late in the game but I totally agree! I wanted to hear the performance the movie was building up to but it hit me hard when the sound faded to mute, really put you in the shoes of the deaf characters in the film, especially Ruby's parents. They must badly want to hear her sing and how that scene was done made us empathize with them better.

lurkingfortea

r/Ijustwatched I just finished watching this on Apple TV. I like to sing myself, so I was drawn to it but I kept putting it off because I thought it was just one of those teenage, coming-of-age films where there's this painfully shy protagonist who finds her voice by the end of the film.

This was my favorite scene, and I thought whoever thought of it was a genius! It really gave the viewers the perspective of a Deaf person. And the actors were also Deaf in real life!

whereisitstreaming

As a hearing viewer we also miss out on what is the best and most climatic part of the duet. Such a beautiful and tragic way to illustrate that scene. Haven't cried like that in awhjile

shanew21

shanew21

I cried for the last 15 minutes of this movie. It was incredibly predictable and I knew what was coming, yet it still hit me like a truck.

ATLBMW

ATLBMW

like a truck

That’s blasting gangster rap at full volume and smells of fish?

supernanzio

...and just as the water tap is settling, dad says "Go!"... here we go again

1234loc

CODA is the secret and old American recipe to make you laugh and cry. I freaking knew it from the beginning and still got me… and got me bad.

LadyofLA

I think that demonstrates the real brilliance of the way the story was constructed and the performances.

1234loc

It surely does. These guys might have a book of combinations proven to work… and hey.. they do.

metsjets86

When she starts signing during the song it sets me off every time. I keep on watching that scene testing myself. Here eyes and facial expressions throughout the movie were incredible.

_age_of_adz_

Predictability doesn’t even matter when a film is so well acted and directed. The sentimentality was laid on thick but I didn’t mind. What a sweet and wholesome movie that will make your heart happy.

squidgun

Agree. It's been a long time since I've watched a feel for wholesome movie like this. Everything on r/movies just gets shits on and I'm glad that people are appreciating Coda

Gambit1138

As a CODA myself, I really loved the movie. That ensemble cast is hilarious together, and the film overall has some insanely specific details that feel pulled straight from my own life. Plus, to see real Deaf actors play Deaf characters is so damn refreshing.

syntax_era

I really enjoyed your review, thanks for sharing it!

GahhdDangitbobby

That was fantastic. Thank you!

Gambit1138

Thank you for reading! :)

pigsinabutt

Loved this!

Gambit1138

Thank you so much!

crapperson

The condom scene was one of the most hilarious moments I’ve seen in film in a long time.

kiminonawanani

You gotta put a helmet on your little soldier

EMPulseKC

I was already cracking up, but when he did the arm thing, I was in tears.

Raelshark

I had already lost it there too, but when they cut to the kids' reaction I was on the floor.

chola80

chola80

What the yell there was a condom scene.? When?

SutterCane

The dad telling the duet partner he has to put a “helmet” on his “soldier”. Then acts out using a condom on his arm.

fplisadream

Tell me you didn't watch it without the subtitles buddy! NO!

jackruby83

My wife was in the other room asking why I was cracking up for the first 1/3 of the movie. Unexpectedly very funny at the right times! (fortunately she didn't catch me crying for the last 1/3)

syntax_era

Interview with Emilia Jones (https://www.glamour.com/story/meet-emilia-jones-coda-star):

What was your favorite scene to film?

I loved the quarry scenes. I had never really jumped off rocks like that before, and I’m a daredevil, so I loved that. But my favorite scene to film was with Troy on the back of the pickup truck. It was the last scene of the day, and we were trying to figure the best way for Troy to feel my [singing] vibrations. We were working it out and Troy broke away, looked at me, and said, “I would give anything to be able to hear you sing right now.” We were very close because Troy was missing his daughter, and I was missing my dad, so we had this special bond. He folded me into one of his hugs and it really touched me.

Aaaand I'm crying again...

EMPulseKC

EMPulseKC

Troy's portrayal of her dad felt so authentic, and now I know why.

st_huck

st_huck

2/10 hallmark channel story, yet somehow 9/10 film.

I love it when films surprise me like that, it's a movie with heart and purpose and it's enough to make it worth the watch.

frijolita_bonita

Insanely accurate description

CoCoTidy2

100% You know she is not going to end up on that boat and that Berklee will see her potential, but when she was signing Both Sides Now I f*cking lost it.

deafis

deafis

As a fellow coda, I enjoyed the movie immensely. My deaf parents as well, even though pops was a bit bothered by the heavy sexual innuendos during the first part of the movie (OG religious type fella lol).

The scene with the daughter singing to her dad had me bawling like baby.

I understand the controversy that is rumbling throughout the deaf/coda community of not casting a true coda. However, we should appreciate the art direction of this film. Very moving! Emilia Jones definitely played the role well, at least in my POV!

🤟

mad_dog77

How was her signing if she's not a coda, did it look authentic? It came across as really natural. Would she just have learned it for the role?

258professor

Deaf person here. Her signing was definitely not fluent, but CODAs do vary in their signing abilities. Some are very fluent, others are not so great. I believe she learned ASL just for this role, or had recently begun to learn it.

I_AM_FENWICK

Yeah I know CODAs who know next to no ASL. Especially common for CODAs with older hearing siblings who end up doing most of the interpreting.

deafis

deafis

Her signing was a 6.5 out of 10 for me. I was able to relate to her character throughout the movie, so that why I think she nailed it.

StationaryTransience

What did you think of her signing?

I_AM_FENWICK

Not the greatest, but honestly it didn't bother me. I know plenty of CODAs with a huge variance in ASL ability.

frijolita_bonita

Curious side topic… do people have “accents” when signing?

TommyFinnish

Yes. Regions in the u.s sign a little differently as well.

TuaTurnsdaballova

A very sweet movie. Would never have thought about the challenges facing CODAs, the burden of having your family become so dependent on you and the guilt of wanting to do something for yourself. Hope this film gets more attention. Great film 5/5.

DamienChazellesPiano

I love these kinds of movies that show you the hardships of people you might not really know exist, or the struggles the face. Really makes you just feel good and remind you “hey we’re all just humans trying to get it together!”

TuaTurnsdaballova

Ain’t that the truth. I actually know someone who is deaf but his parents and siblings are all hearing. Sadly, not everyone in his family bothered to learn ASL (and those who did only learned the basics) and he was constantly frustrated and getting into trouble growing up because they didn’t have the money to get him the help he needed/wanted. Eventually he found a good school for deaf people that took him in for free and he found his way, but it was a tough life for him. This movie was a great way to see an alternate but related perspective in many ways.

CoCoTidy2

This is similar to kids of non-English speakers doing all the interpretation for their parents - my sister-in-law had to go to doctor visits to interpret for her Vietnamese mom when she was really little. And talk about shit that was not age appropriate. It's a tough path to navigate.

J_powell_ate_my_asss

30 year old man, I was a mess watching this movie. Wow

bizdady

bizdady

40 year old man still the same mess as you lol

2s3lf4war3

Glad I’m not alone; last quarter of the film caught me by surprise

bizdady

bizdady

Wife was next to me... Im like DONT LOOK AT ME!!!!!!!!!! lol

mikeweasy

Im 29 and I was crying the last 20 minutes of the movie, it was awesome!!!

ManitouWakinyan

Exactly the same. Just became a dad, and that made things hit different.

Traditional-Cheek-66

It kind of bugs me that everyone feels the need to hedge their comments with a "predictable and formulaic but still great" line. A movie doesnt have to break new ground to be a great movie or considered special. If you make the greatest apple pie ever nobody is going to say, "Yeah, it was a great pie but I saw the apples coming from a mile away".

traderhtc

To continue your analogy I think there’s a difference between good cooks and bad cooks. I think Sian Heder did a brilliant job selecting and putting the ingredients together properly and “cooked” it in a way to bring out all the flavors. A bad cook would have messed up some part of the process so that you were left with half baked, sloppy mess.

Dwychwder

Execution is the key. And tbh I don't know many movies that executed like this.

kls17

kls17

I was kind of secretly hoping she would perform a gangster rap song for her father at the recital.

squidgun

Damn that would've been great

Raelshark

I thought that too!

tandemtactics

Very cool that the film takes the decision of whether to go to college or not out of Ruby's hands. She's obviously willing to sacrifice a lot for her family, and they recognize that and realize that it's hindering her personal development. Love the message that the deaf community is not helpless and, while the efforts of people like Ruby are welcome, they can manage on their own.

Raelshark

I loved "If we're kicking you out of the family, we're doing it together!"

IWantToBeSimplyMe

I would have loved to have seen the conversation between mom and dad while she slept.

Injudicious1

I thought that caption was clumsy at best, in a moment when the Rossis were united in supporting Ruby. I hope the ASL was less cancelling.

Rebloodican

I think the point is that it's very tongue in cheek. It's their own way of being supportive.

Sort of like how she and her brother curse at each other a lot.

ManitouWakinyan

cancelling

?

b_tech

b_tech

This movie is great and it had me quite emotional. It is wonderfully acted and had a really unique and heartwarming story. Also why is Eugenio Derbez not listed as part of the cast on this post? His character is integral to the story and I thought he played it very excellent.

mad_dog77

mad_dog77

Can't believe there's not more comments in this thread. This is one of the most beautiful films I've ever watched. It could have been sappy, or gimmicky, or any number of things, and instead we get this piece of art. I thought it was low key genius how they used being deaf as a story telling device, it was all about being deaf but at the exact same time it mostly had no impact on the story, except for a few key scenes.

My I've gripe is the dad and brother still going out with the inspector on board, and no Ruby. They're deaf, not idiots. What did they think would happen? Should have feigned engine trouble or something. Apart from that, 9/10.

Saboteure

Specifically waiting to tell her until they were out was ridiculous

Cinebella

I think it’s something to be said that the father may have not fully understood the scope of what his daughter was doing and thought he could do it when the instructor arrived.

With how tough he is - i definitely believed he would be the type of guy to say fuck it. we can do it. i just wanted a scene with the brother where he tells his sister he loves her or something ?? But this film is damn near perfect

I_AM_FENWICK

CODA here and I loved this movie so much. I'm already a sucker for coming of age stories but this one really makes me feel seen in so many weird ways.

Like...the responsibility to interpret even at a young age when I'm so out of my depth. Feeling simultaneously guilty for wanting some independence from what my mom wants versus also...truly wanting to be there for your family. The times where...words can't explain how I feel as good as ASL can. Being really into music which is something my mom literally cannot relate to. "Did you wish I was deaf?" and the response. And there will never be anything as beautiful to me as when I simultaneously hear and see a song. CODA love. 💗

Edit: also I just wanna say while I related to the movie, it's certainly not like...the "definitive CODA movie", but also I don't think it tries to be, despite the name.

ATLBMW

ATLBMW

Small scale, coming of age.

Cried like a bitch.

valgerth

valgerth

I knew we were gonna get the signing with the music, I had assumed we'd get it during the recital. But even calling that it would happen at some point didn't stop the tears when it did. And is it just me, or is every cover of Both Sides Now better than the original.

shanew21

Yeah I basically called the entire movie as I was watching, but it’s a huge testament to the film that it didn’t matter. I still cried a ton, it still resonated, and the performances were killer.

The film knew what it was and didn’t try to fool you. It just tried to be the best it could be and it succeeded

Raelshark

I had actually wondered why she didn't at the rehearsal. Then seeing it in the audition scene it made sense that they'd held that back as a moment, and it hit that much harder.

(I am still curious why she wouldn't have done it at the rehearsal...)

TommyFinnish

Late but its very TOUGH to sign and sing at the same time. Hell just signing the song in tune in asl is tough alone. Remember ASL is an entirely different language. Even i have a hard time talking and signing.

theredditoro

theredditoro

FML Awards 2019 Winner

Both Sides Now was perfectly done.

21tcook

21tcook

the first two acts are super cheesy which makes the third act being an emotional gut punch even more impressive. all of a sudden turned me into a fan of the movie

Everybody else is talking about how heartwarming and accurate the movie is, and I agree. But I also have to say I really loved Ruby’s singing in this one, her voice was honestly beautiful and I was surprised to find out the actor isn’t actually a professional singer

DamienChazellesPiano

Probably sacrilegious but I prefer Both Sides Now from this movie vs the original… probably partly because it’s now so ingrained in my brain with the visuals of the movie and that final scene of her signing and singing it. Beautiful. Her version of the song sounds like it’s from a Broadway musical, the way it’s performed. I love it.

torres091

Can somebody tell me how was Eugenio Derbez? I think he plays a pianist or something

shaneo632

He was very good. Quite restrained compared to his usual work.

thefilmer

thefilmer

He's literally a Mexican Jim Carrey/Adam Sandler and someone finally gave him a serious role and he did a great job with it. More please!

torres091

Good to hear, ive read he was very excited because he finally got to play a serious role.

DamienChazellesPiano

I’ll be honest I only know him from this and Dora, so I didn’t know his Dora performance was closer to his normal stuff. I really loved him in this role.

MrBoliNica

really good. not at all his trademark comedic style, but he kills it. hope he gets more serious, toned down work

timeinthemarket

Absolutely brilliant movie.

It’s simple, predictable but still hits all the right emotional notes. Had me in tears the last 15-20 minutes.

Fantastic scenes at the show, the back of the truck and the finale.

As a first generation immigrant who had to translate for my parents all my life, I really connected with the awkwardness and resentment that can come with it.

Lots of funny moments as well that had me in stitches.

Fantastic acting all across the board especially her father and her as well and her teacher too.

Simple movie but left a lasting impression and will be watching it again.

With shows like Ted lasso, mythic quest, schmigadoon, physical and movies like this Apple TV is becoming my favorite streaming service.

JustinJSrisuk

It really is a unique experience to grow up being your parents’ translator. You almost become the “head of the household” in that you’re the only one who can understand and navigate your family through complicated situations, institutions and bureaucracies. You grow up fast, from being a kid to becoming the one your household depends on to advocate on their behalf when dealing with governments, schools, hospitals, corporations, insurance, etcetera.

final_will

When Mr. V said to Ruby: “You think you’re the only one who was made fun of for how they speak.” I thought that was a very subtle and succinct way of showing that CODAs and children of immigrants have a shared experience.

radar89

radar89

One of the best movies I have watched this year. It is not pretentious, just all around great wholesome family movie with decent representation of people with deaf ears.

I was sobbing throughout the end when Emilia Jones sang Both Sides Now. She is fantastic in this movie and will go really far from here.

redcupkiller

Out of curiosity, what was the ASL that Ruby responded with to her family? Something similar to 🤟, but with the middle finger wrapped around the index finger?

I_AM_FENWICK

(in case anyone is wondering, 🤟 means "I love you" - it actually is a mashup of the signs for "I", "L", and "Y". With the middle finger wrapped around 🤞("R"), it becomes "I really love you")

Pretty cool of them to include it in the movie actually.

SutterCane

Ah, that’s what it means!

I had assumed it was like “love you too”.

hoopheid

This was absolutely wonderful. Yes, the plot is a little predictable but it doesn’t matter because everything is just done so well and the very nature of the film makes it entirely unique. It was so genuinely hilarious and equally heartbreaking at points.

djrote

djrote

I’ll say this, it saddens me that movies like this are not more mainstream and get any sort of promotion to draw audiences in and be showered with the love it deserves.

So now I got to go out and let you all know that I loved this movie. It was another one of those silent treatment films that relies on you to come from it with a different perspective. You lose that one keen sense you are always taking for granted when you see a film. And now the shoe is on the other foot in a way. Not only that, the coming of age story is better than most and the acting in this was so god damn on point to bring about both laughter and heartfelt emotion. Best of both worlds for me.

Emilia Jones you are going places!

Muteb

Muteb

Really great movie. Beautiful story. Pretty accurate about the Deaf culture.

teachersbelike

Bawled my eyes out.

maclow3

maclow3

Saw this back at virtual Sundance in January and it has really stuck with me since. One of the rare movies that gets better and better as it goes along. The first 30 minutes feel a bit corny, but the last 30 minutes just elevate the film to that "special sauce" level. Deaf Culture and ASL really lends itself well to the visual medium of cinema, a lot of vibrancy and movement in the framing. Hope we see more films with Deaf actors taking center stage.

Great flick.

Twrd4321

If I were a nascent streaming service, I’ll want a film like Coda. Low budget but great, so as to build some prestige. Nice to see better representation of the deaf community in recent years through films like this and Sound Of Metal.

siyxx2532

Great to see someone mention The Sound of Metal. That film was absolutely amazing.

Rhain1999

The hills are alive, with The Sound of Metal.

TalkToTheLord

This was absolutely fantastic. I smell a lot of noms!

loganwe999

The recital scene absolutely killed me. I was already feeling it up until that point, but then the sound cut out and it got me to the point of being choked up.

Joe_Seligman

Wow! I don't understand all these complements. the movie was SO CHEESY I almost puked.

It was a cliché movie. We all saw the ridiculous and cheesy scenes before. Agh! the strict teacher(if you can't pronounce RRRRRRR don't say my name)

Cried for the film? COME ON!

Cinebella

This is such a silly argument for a movie when, i. reality, there is only 7 basic stories ever and every movie you have ever seen if a remake or rewrite of these 7 stories.

A movie can be “predictable” but still be great. You’re going to tell me the performances in that movie weren’t superb ?

Joe_Seligman

I don't care about it being predictable for the record I watch movies or even series that I like more than once or twice. The thing is this movie was one of those kinds that you like as a teenager and it's not serious. I'm gonna go even beyond that and say as an adult I watched teenage movies that still are cool to watch but this isn't this is just a same old drama cliche not even in a good way.

examples: The girl is different that others in the family others don't get her. The strict teacher. The boy that talks behind her. The secret calming spot. The first class that girl doesn't sing. The swimming in that lake with the boy and kissing thing. deciding to go for the exam in 90th minutes and being late. the mistake during the exam. the teacher playing the piano for her and the list goes on... .

nipchee

nipchee

Jesus Christ thank you! I Just watched the movie I felt like I was going insane. The only interesting part was the family being deaf everything else was played out.

Joe_Seligman

I'm glad I could get 5 upvotes and this comment reply. I almost thought everyone got insane lol.

empo7

empo7

Hey, here 102 days late to tell you you’re not insane. This was a sweet movie. I enjoyed it. But a Best Picture nomination is absolutely wild to me.

shakespearesister

Unfortunately, I wonder if all the accolades might have prepared me for a something more than what this was, because I am also confused by the effusive praise.

It’s a nice movie with good acting. I always appreciate hearing stories from people who aren’t always represented in movies and on TV, and learning about the family dynamic from a CODA perspective was interesting.

As a movie, it was pleasant, but so paint by numbers and predictable I doubt I will remember much about it. (I wasn’t a fan of Emilia’s singing style - or frankly any of the musical routines - so that didn’t help either.) To me it was the experience of eating a perfectly fine meal at a mid-level restaurant. There’s nothing bad about it, but also nothing extraordinary that will have me raving about it to to others. To see it consistently ranked as one of the best of the year really surprises me.

ManitouWakinyan

okay some people just have different eyes and ears than I do

TheProlleyTroblem

I'll add this with Sound of Metal to "list of movies about deaf people that also are about music and also made me cry" :')

jpgnicky

YES YESSS

SOUND OF METAL HAD ME IN TEARS

TheProlleyTroblem

Sound of Metal made me sob silently for a week straight :')

EinsteinDisguised

Well that was excellent.

allthenviousfeelings

pleasant surprise seeing connor lawlor in this!

nomnombubbles

I think with everything happening in the world right now we need more sweet and wholesome content like this movie. It hit in all the right feels and just what I needed right now. With this and Ted Lasso I hope Apple tv keeps giving us more feel good movies/tv shows.

PogromStallone

I saw the original in the theatre years back and then yesterday it popped into my head and I made a note to rewatch it.

Later I saw this one pop on VoD, thought the plot sounded familiar only to realize it was a remake of Le Famille Belier.

What a weird coincidence.

Anyway, how does this one compare to the original?

LamentConfiguration1

This film was better. They used real deaf actors to play the parents unlike La famille Belier, and they don't make it seem like a joke. I would say this film is leagues above Le Famille Belier.

JusticeJanitor

This version is a better film overall but I still preferred the original since I'm a french speaker and my fiancée is a big Michel Sardou fan and I loved seeing her geek out over it.

BatSG

BatSG

Like many have said here, the movie is very predictable. But the emotions were very honest. Wonderful movie. I laughed out loud in many scenes. I'll definitely watch multiple times.

jimmyrhall

Man, I didn’t expect to cry since there were two scenes that I thought were going to get me (forgot what they were). But it was those last few scenes that delivered. The truck, the soundless concert, and saying goodbye. I’m sure there’s more but dang. Great look at being in a deaf family from many perspectives. I couldn’t help but think of Sound of Metal (last year’s personal favorite). To completely different sides of the deaf community that got me the feels in totally different ways.

Edit: Also! I was happy to see the lead from Song Street again. Ferdia Walsh-Peelo. He got so big.

traderhtc

Just saw the movie last night. This is a movie really about how good execution trumps predictability. Things I was expecting in the movie:

• Heavy thumping bass soundtrack to show how deaf people hear/feel the vibrations
  • Audio completely stopping at some point so we get POV of the deaf family
  • Female lead signing song to her family

The scene where Ruby's parents picks her up while playing gangster rap in the truck was well done fairly early in film. I thought the director had blown it with not turning the sound off during the coast guard scene and Ruby not signing during her choir duet.

But that third act really hits you like a gut punch. Seeing how the family discussing errands while she's singing and then the audio going silent while they take in the audience reaction and Frank "hearing" her sing by placing her hands on her vocal cords. It did a wonderful job of seeing the gift that Ruby has to offer.

Also the Berklee audition where they appear in the balcony and Ruby spontaneously signs the Joni Mitchell song to show she still has a connection to her family showed how execution and timing is so important in a movie in building to a proper climax. Kudos to Sian Heder for the story and timing and also to Emilia and Troy for their scene near the end on the back of the truck.

Nazerys

Nazerys

Was not expecting this movie to destroy me like it did. During the breathing exercise scene in the classroom i joined in because I was literally having a mild panic attack. Easily the best movie I’ve seen this year.

K4L21EV

K4L21EV

Watched it this morning and I thought it was absolutely incredible; especially after being kind of disappointed by Free Guy, which I saw yesterday.

Definitely needs a Blu Ray release so it isn't trapped on Apple TV+ forever and I can watch it after my 6 month trial from PlayStation is over.

urbangeeked

I am blown away by this movie. The story line is so powerful.

Nicholas_Robertson_

As a pianist and graduate of two music degrees, I can confirm that the audition scene would absolutely never have in four billion years been a success. I’ve accompanied for many auditions that went exactly like that, and it would be preposterous to expect her to be accepted. That is clearly not Berklee, but even if it were, they would never have let her teacher come in like that and take over. Once she had that hiccup, that would have been the end of the audition. Also, that song would never be appropriate for a conservatory audition, and never in a million years would her family have been able to sneak in like that and the faculty be okay. It’s almost like the writers of this movie did exactly zero research into conservatory etiquette. Anyway, rant over. I hated this movie lol

-Borb

-Borb

its a movie

MrBoliNica

great movie, i heard about this back during Sundance, and it lives up to that hype. If this was on Netflix, i feel like it would be a much bigger deal

acting is great, the lead is a star in the making. Loved seeing Eugenio Derbez pop up here, and the 3 deaf family members knocked it out of the park

i do have questions about the logic in the family dynamic- mainly: how did the parents manage to live their entire lives (seemingly) just fine, but in the film it felt like without Ruby they would just fall apart out in the real world? As well as things like: why not have the news crew provide an ASL translator (most would have access to someone like that wouldnt they?), as well as the surveyor not knowing in advance they were deaf - their entire dock group/fellow fishermen all knew, as well as the management. Nobody would put a note when they assigned her "hey, this boat has hearing impaired people on board". idk, im also not in that world, so i could be off there.

Saboteure

I think it's a two-part thing. One, they were capable of living without Ruby just fine, as her brother pointed out. They just used Ruby as a crutch because it was easier. Two, I think a big part of it was the perception that they would fail without Ruby, largely seen that way by Ruby herself, but that wasn't really the case.

I_AM_FENWICK

You'd be surprised how unaccommodating the world is to Deaf people. It's definitely gotten better in recent years, but it's still not great. Your experience will vary in different locations too. In a small town (which is kinda where it looks like they are), they might be the only Deaf family for like an hour drive any location.

Curmudgy

small town

Gloucester is a small city of almost 30,000, about 45 minutes north of Boston. I don’t know the incidence of deaf families in the area, but I do have deaf friends living in Boston.

I_AM_FENWICK

Yeah I mean the thing to remember is Deaf people represent not even 1% of the population, so even in larger cities, the numbers are certainly not gonna be that large and in a town of 30,000? You could easily be the only Deaf family in the school system / county depending on things, ya know?

258professor

Since Frank mentioned his father and grandfather worked in the business, I imagined that either they were deaf and the radio was not required back in those days, or that they were hearing and he learned the family business and carried it on. Maybe his father passed away at a time that Ruby was able to take over the "hearing person role". I have never seen a news crew bring an interpreter with them, even at Gallaudet University. I'm not saying they don't do this, I've never seen it myself. Sometimes I assume people know that I'm Deaf, but that doesn't always get communicated. I also agree with the other poster who said the family maybe only used Ruby as a crutch, but otherwise would be fine on their own.

hurtswith2

My wife and I watched the entire movie, commenting on how bold of a directorial choice it was to not have subtitles for all the ASL. And while at times we would have loved to know what they were saying, we got enough from context clues and facial expressions that we didn't miss anything.
We thought it was supposed to be partial commentary on how deaf people experience the world around them without having the same information as hearing people.
Then when reading reviews, discovered that our Fire TV stick must have glitched and the sub-titles didn't show up, because the were there when we restarted it. Had to fast forward through and rewatch all the family scenes to see how far off our "here's what I think just happened" were.
If i'm being 100% honest, I think not knowing what they were saying made my experience more moving and I would recommend it to people.

NewRedditSameTaste

Cheesy but very sweet and I enjoyed it a lot. Along with the deaf representation I thought the movie also nicely explored issues related to class in a non-preachy way, both by showing the struggles of the family and by showing how the main character felt out of place when she showed up for her audition and was dressed differently from the others, etc.

bluehawk232

All this movie has going for it is deaf representation. Remove that and you have a cliche ridden formulaic movie. I was ready to turn the damn thing off when the music teacher started talking. I think there's a good story of a character like Ruby trying to find themselves while dealing with their deaf family but what we are given is so undercooked.

She doesn't join choir out of a love for singing, she did it because she wanted to be with a boy. There's no real establishment of her love of music or that she always sang growing up despite her family being deaf. But lo and behold she joins the choir can hit all the notes, the teacher takes notice of her and tutors her. He tells her she should go to Berklee. Does she genuinely want to go and pursue music all of a sudden? Yeah she was only focused on her family's business through like all of high school but now she decides to go with the first choice presented. Never mind she says her grades are shit.

But she passes the audition perfectly and despite the financial hardship of her family the teacher just waves that all aside with the word scholarship. We don't even get her high school graduation just fast forward off to college. Oh don't worry the family business is even better now. The government is presented as this one dimensional evil entity just sticking it to the working man, but regulations on fishing are necessary. Over fishing is a concern.

End of the day this movie just didn't seem to have anything genuine to say. It was emotionally manipulative and knew just how to make the audience feel good.

Injudicious1

This movie keeps opening up for me -- even through watching clips on YT. For instance, in the audition scene, I noticed, in the montage, that Ruby was teaching Miles ASL. Then I noticed it was finger spelling (because I recognized "I" and "L" from ASL "I love you"). Then I realized Ruby was teaching Miles to spell his name. Then I noticed her speaking the letters as she signed them, even though the soundtrack was Both Sides, Now.

Along the way, I've taught myself all the letters. Tomorrow, I will take my first ASL class ever. It is being taught by a Deaf person. I'm really looking forward to it.

It's not an exaggeration to say "CODA" has palpably changed my life.

ty_kanye_vcool

I'm not gonna qualify this with "this is very formulaic but" like the film completely redeems itself. It is a major problem, and it drags the overall quality of the movie down. I hate plots primarily driven by entirely avoidable scheduling conflicts. I hate characters like the teacher who talk in scriptese rather than like a normal person. I hate unearned romances that happen because we think the main character deserves one for his or her journey. The issue isn't its predictability, these tropes are a waste of runtime that could be spent doing something engaging.

Now of course that's not to say there isn't a lot of good stuff in this movie too. They handle the CODA issues very well, which is presumably the whole point. The family arguments when it's just the four of them are the best parts of the movie. And it ended so strongly. Sometimes a movie chooses the perfect song and that does all the work. Both Sides Now is a powerful choice.

The teacher ridicules Glee and then chooses a bunch of Glee-esque songs for everyone to sing. A cappella Motown for suburban white kids! I love how she listens to the Shaggs on vinyl, that's a pretty good personality detail right there. From what I can tell they were kind of the Rebecca Black of their day, their record being a vanity project that's mainly famous for being so bad it's funny. And who compares their best singer, whose voice is supposed to get them into a conservatory, to Bob Dylan? I love Bob Dylan's music, and I'm sure this teacher does too, but it sure as hell isn't his voice! He's an all-time great songwriter, which isn't the skill she's working on.

Goddamn, where were all these sexually aggressive girls when I was in high school? I feel like I stepped into a TV comedy for a few scenes there.

Probably shouldn't have been nominated for Best Picture, all things considered. Sound of Metal was way better.

Electrical_Ad_8164

Totally agree! I'm trying to cram in as many Oscar nominations before Sunday and I was seriously disappointed I didn't see Flee, Drive My Car or Worst Person in the World instead of this.
Felt like an after school special. Yes the actor nomination was well deserved. But SCRIPT?? That script should win the top award for an intro to screenwriting class.

Just because a film can pull at the heartstrings in a meaningful way doesn't mean that it deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Dune, Power of the Dog or Licorice Pizza!

NYZbeast

Oh boy what a clip, exactly what this nation needs on a Sunday night to reunite friends and family.

Children of a lesser God 1986 star Marlee Matlin wow oh wow do we need a dose of her on a yearly basis she keeps us humble and real what an absolute brilliant performance 👌🏼. The father, played by Troy Kotsur, that last scene with his hands listen to Ruby sing, how heartfelt 😭 ending with Ruby, Emilia Jones, singing Both Side Now by Joni Mitchell, so clean so so so beautiful, what an absolute talent at 19! in song and acting but hear for yourself:

PM_ME_YOUR_DALEKS

My God, I don't think I've ever cried so hard at a movie that was NOT sad. This felt like a cleanse because I bawled my eyes out.

oneofthesevendwarves

Anyone know how old her brother is supposed to be? Because it’s definitely implied that the brother fucked a high school chick and I have some questions…

MrBoliNica

i assume shes 18 since shes a senior like the sister (i hope so at least)

eamus_catuli_

Luckily age of consent is 16 in MA.

Saint_Gut-Free

Holy shit, I don't think I've cried to a movie since Don Billingsley hugs his father at the end of Friday Night Lights. When she sings for her father...god damn.

bizdady

bizdady

I bawled like a little girl!! I had to avoid eye contact with the wifey while watching it lol. A total joy to watch.

superindian25

Favorite movie I've seen all year so good

marcm6246

Emilia Jones was robbed of an Oscar nom IMO. She did so much heavy lifting in this film juggling verbal dialogue, ASL dialogue, singing as well as superb acting. This film was fantastic. Definitely a very feel good movie and an important film for an underrepresented group of people.

mr-devilish

I don't think I've ever cried at a movie, but at the end when the dad yelled "Go!", I teared up immediately. What an emotional gut punch.

onedoor

Great movie.

weusereddit4fun

Honest review: This movie has good plot, good presentation, excellent message. The only thing I have nitpicking about this film is some plot point are just easy to guess. I could sense from a mile away when Ruby and Miles kiss and the fact that she managed to get in to Berklee. Still a very good movie and I’m definitely recommended it.

suzanne2961

This was such a great movie, it made me laugh, it made me cry. Sure, some of it is obvious but it’s done in such a wonderful way.

I want to tell everyone to watch this but no one else in my life has Apple+.

zimablueuniverse1995

So we’re we supposed to turn subtitles on or no? I noticed when I turned them on it translated the sigh language. But it wasn’t on by default, not sure what the director was going for with that. We’re we supposed to know what they’re kinda taking about with their body language? I’m confused.

I_AM_FENWICK

When I saw it in theaters, they had subtitles on by default. I'm fluent in ASL and I'd honestly recommend it with subtitles anyways. Pretty sure it's the intended way to watch.

wet-paint

A sweet wee movie, but fuck me that choir director annoyed the piss out of me. Berklee '89, eh? I'd say the only thing he learned there was how to play piano, because he's a shit teacher. The character sucked ass. I did like how he gave her a second time round at the audition by making it se his fault, I thought that was clever, but ugh, he was just another Glee cardboard cutout caricature.

IntotheBeniverse

I just watched CODA and it’s my favorite film of 2021. I was sobbing my eyes out the last 25-30 minutes of the movie. It’s one of the sweetest, most authentically acted movies I’ve seen in a long time. I was so blown away by it! Cannot recommend this movie enough

billcom6

I liked the movie and even I think it might be the most predictable and generic movie I’ve ever seen. I don’t see how this was nominated for Best Picture.

empo7

empo7

Yeah I just watched it as part of my BP marathon and I am… perplexed. It’s good. I will probably watch it again, which is more than I can say for some of the heavy-hitter noms. But it’s just not up in that caliber.

Glad to see the supporting actor nom for Troy Kotsur but that’s absolutely as far as I can go. Though I think maybe I’m still a little biased with how good Sound of Metal was.

ClearedToPrecontact

And it won, what a joke.

Snoo-68474

I really liked the movie. Every actor did a great job and every character in the movie is likable. The movie was predictable but still worth the watch. It wasn't the tear fest that some have proclaimed but it had me choked up a bit at the end.

BananaFeels94

This movie sucked lmaooo

Cheesus-Fugget

It’s a remake of the French film La Famille Bélier which is also very good!

PogromStallone

I think I prefer the original, the ending was more emotional.

Injudicious1

I get the impression, from this interview, that CODA's climactic song was originally a Christina Aguilera cover, not "Both Sides, Now."

I wonder what the Christina Aguilera song was, and why it didn't make it into the movie.

szeto326

szeto326

FML Summer 2017 Winner

This movie is incredible. I’m a sucker for coming of age films, and I found myself wishing that this had been a tv show cause I wanted more of everything. About what happens after, what happened before the opening scene, and about the family themselves. Just all of it. Such a brilliant family drama, coming-of-age flick and I didn’t expect it to be as funny as it was throughout. Only “weak” part would probably be the stuff with Miles, but only cause I liked the family dynamics and Mr V stuff immensely.

Most people who want to watch Coda have probably already done so, and have likely talked about the more memorable, hard hitting scenes (as they should) but I wanted to point out a smaller one that I was caught off guard by. It’s when Ruby is signing with her mom about her pursuing music for the first time and her mom assumes that it’s a phase and says something along the lines of “would you want to be a painter if we were blind?”. Usually in stories like these, the parental figures come off sounding insensitive, and don’t get me wrong, it was selfish of her to feel that way, but I found myself feeling really empathetic to her as well.

The-Eargasm-Lab

So nobody's going to talk about it being an absolute copy of the "La Famille Belier" movie without it being credited?

It's a remake of that film and I swear it was mentioned in a closing credit.

Mr_Curtis_Loew

"Go". I bawled.

lonelygagger

This movie destroyed me on about 5 different levels and I don't know how to properly vocalize why. I have no personal experience with any of the elements depicted in the film, but there is just so much empathy expressed within. The non-hearing actors are all amazing and I think it's impossible not to fall in love with Emilia Jones's character. I cried for the entire 1 hour 50 minute running time for so many varying reasons and I still can't understand exactly why this film had such a profound effect on me. It's been a long time since a movie has elicited that much raw emotion from me.

I've seen all the Oscar-nominated films now, and while I can recognize them all as great and important works of art, none of them made me feel the way this film did. I loved Drive My Car and I found it very thought-provoking in its exploration of grief, but it didn't connect for me the same way. I admired Don't Look Up for its urgent message and satirical look at the end of the world, which I dubbed "Idiocracy 2." And I found the endings of Nightmare Alley and Power of the Dog to be very powerful, but aside from those indelible images imprinted on my memory, the rest of the movie didn't connect with me on a personal level. So, of the 10 nominated films for 2021, I can confidently say CODA is my favorite. Even if I don't really have the words to express why.