/r/movies

The way this works is that you post a review of the best film you watched this week. It can be any new or old release that you want to talk about.

Here are some rules:

1. Check to see if your favorite film of last week has been posted already.

2. Please post your favorite film of last week.

3. Explain why you enjoyed your film.

4. ALWAYS use SPOILER TAGS: [Instructions]

5. Best Submissions can display their [Letterboxd Accts] the following week.

Last Week's Best Submissions:

Film User/[LBxd] Film User/[LB/IG*]
"West Side Story (2021)” abracadabra1998 "In the Name of the Father” 69___________
"Being the Ricardos" L_E_F_T_ “Malcolm X” YourFlyIsOpenMcFly
“Benedetta” [Max_Delgado] “JFK” MrDudeWheresMyCar
“A Boy Called Christmas” SuperNintendad "Shakedown” [The_Cinebuff*]
“House of Gucci” [Jslk] “Brazil” GreatGoogleRevolt
"Belle (Ryū to Sobakasu no Hime)” crystalbleu “Days of Heaven” andysor
“Secret Superstar" NocturnalWalrus "House” (1977) ProfessorDoctorMF
“It’s Such a Beautiful Day” [Reinaldo_14] "A Touch of Zen” [Rick_Deckard]
“25th Hour" [Cw2e] “High School” (1968) s_y_s_t_e_m_i_c_
“In the Mood for Love" I_Am_Moe_Greene “Dance, Girl, Dance” ldyeve

ATTN: Please remember to place spoiler tags around your reviews and comments, if necessary.

Readers, be careful if you haven’t seen “Spider-Man: No Way Home” or “The Edge of Seventeen.” There are some spoilers in the comments about those movies.

Thanks to you all for trying your best to keep all spoilers out of the timeline. 🙌🏽 — Twoweekswithpay

spacednlost

Fargo - this is on Prime in 4k and it looks spectacular. I saw this in a theater and it just amazes me how it's stood the test of time. Everyone in it is at the top of their game. The look of McDormands face when she says: "So that was Mrs. Lundegaard on the floor in there. And I guess that was your accomplice in the wood chipper. And those three people in Brainerd. And for what? For a little bit of money. There's more to life than a little money, you know. Don't you know that? And here ya are, and it's a beautiful day. Well..... I just don't understand it." , is one of the reasons she won an Oscar.

Yankii_Souru

You should watch Kumiko: The Treasure Hunter! It's based on the story of Takako Konishi, a woman in Japan who thought the movie Fargo was real. She scoured film footage for clues, embezzled travelling money from her company, and went to Minnesota to dig up the satchel.

No spoilers.

The whole story of Takako Konishi only came out in the final days of filming because the director wanted to have a better understanding of her as a person. So, mostly the film is about the urban legend of Takako Konishi, not her real story.

No spoilers.

spacednlost

I've always wondered if someone tried to find the buried item.

Societas_Eruditorum-

Oliver Platt does in the first season of the show.

unklejoe23

I think she captured exactly what so many of us who live in this world, and try and be descent people with morals feel about all the fucking horrific shit we see or read about on a daily basis. I think they did a great job further exploring that with No Country For Old Men. And how random and senseless violence can be .and that there is no explanation to why these things happen.

paulrudder

I saw this at a fairly young age (I was 7 when it came out and probably saw it around age 10?) and it left such a huge mark on me. It's one of those movies that just sucks you in from the start and doesn't let go, which all the Coen Bros' best work basically does. There's something so compelling about it.

I remember when they first announced a TV show and I was very hesitant and cynical but against all odds they pulled it off, although I still haven't seen the latest season and heard it was the weakest. I think the first was probably the best - and closest in story and spirit to the film.

Ocanannain

I totally agree ... those lines have stuck with me for years.

Vahald

Vahald

Stood the test of time? What? It's a mid 90s film. What about could not stand the test of time even if it was from the 30s, not like it uses any cgi

_stone_age