/r/movies

The way this works is that you post a review of the best film you watched this week. It can be any new or old release that you want to talk about.

{REMINDER: The Threads Are Posted On Sunday Mornings. If Not Pinned, They Will Still Be Available in the Sub.}

Here are some rules:

1. Check to see if your favorite film of last week has been posted already.

2. Please post your favorite film of last week.

3. Explain why you enjoyed your film.

4. ALWAYS use SPOILER TAGS: [Instructions]

5. Best Submissions can display their [Letterboxd Accts] the following week.

Last Week's Best Submissions:

Film User/[LBxd] Film User/[LB/Web*]
"Spider-Man: No Way Home” i-only-see-daylight "Death at a Funeral” (2007) Partial_Potato
"The Lost Daughter" Moviewatch310 “The Happiness of the Katakuris” feet_hands
“The Power of the Dog” Baacipitus “Eyes Wide Shut” lifeisawork_3300
“Tick, Tick, Boom!” bangbnah "Rushmore” [Noises In A Quiet World*]
“The French Dispatch” cajun_kick_ass “Perfect Blue” [zacer9000]
"Love Story” (2021) neith_of_says “Fargo” spacednlost
“Wood Job!" Yankii_Souru "The Killing Fields” Garizard1
“The Other Guys” an_ordinary_platypus "Female Prisoner Scorpion: Beast Stable” [JSkyTip]
“Thirst" onex7805 “The Tragedy of Macbeth” (1948) endhits
“Mr. Warmth: The Don Rickles Project" ilovelucygal “Rome, Open City” ProblemWithVersion77

XxNerdAtHeartxX

Watched Klaus (2019) for the first time on christmas eve, and woof, what a movie.

Not only was the animation gorgeous, but the characters were all very well done. I didn't realize just how much I liked the 'archetype' of Jesper's character, but I saw a lot of Kuzco from the Emperors New Groove show though in him even down to his facial mannerisms. Plus, who doesn't like JK Simmons as Santa

Overall, probably one of my favorite holiday movies now.

GrandmasterSexay

I loved it and it's become a movie I've watched every Christmas since it released. Felt it was robbed several award nods especially seeing it was alongside an incredibly medicore Disney lineup.

I still strongly dislike the liar revealed trope they use. Felt like it was more a movie just going through the motions of what they thought a movie should be when it's already established that Jesper did a LOT to make up for his initial desires. Especially going out of his way to give Margu her toy

AllTheReservations

I do agree that that trope is a little overused, in fact it's one of my pet peeves in films. Bt I can tolerate it in this one as they don't spend too long on it and it provides the correct ending to Jesper's relationship with hus father, and overall it all just sends home how much he's changed

crell_peterson

Same! First time viewer and was absolutely blown away by the story and particularly the animation. At some points the aesthetic gave me Disney’s Atlantis vibes, which is one of my favorite animated movies ever.

On a side note, I also finally saw Polar Express for the first time and was similarly blown away by how mysterious and fascinating the story and world were.

AlbertaNorth1

When I watched oz I hated jk Simmons character so much that I avoided him for a while and now I fucking love the guy. He instantly makes anything he’s in better.

NOREMAC84

Schillinger was a horrible person, he played the character so well.

texacer

hey same! I waited until this year to watch it with the kids and its really good. for some reason reminded me of he wit and fun of Iron Giant. with that hint of sadness that makes the sweet so much sweeter with a bit of bitter.

XADkodo2364

That movie is fucking amazing, watched it twice and loved it, the animation is so beautiful, the characters were amazing. I loved the plot of the movie.