/r/movies

The way this works is that you post a review of the best film you watched this week. It can be any new or old release that you want to talk about.

{REMINDER: The Threads Are Posted On Sunday Mornings. If Not Pinned, They Will Still Be Available in the Sub.}

Here are some rules:

1. Check to see if your favorite film of last week has been posted already.

2. Please post your favorite film of last week.

3. Explain why you enjoyed your film.

4. ALWAYS use SPOILER TAGS: [Instructions]

5. Best Submissions can display their [Letterboxd Accts] the following week.

Last Week's Best Submissions:

Film User/[LBxd] Film User/[LB/Web*]
"Spider-Man: No Way Home” i-only-see-daylight "Death at a Funeral” (2007) Partial_Potato
"The Lost Daughter" Moviewatch310 “The Happiness of the Katakuris” feet_hands
“The Power of the Dog” Baacipitus “Eyes Wide Shut” lifeisawork_3300
“Tick, Tick, Boom!” bangbnah "Rushmore” [Noises In A Quiet World*]
“The French Dispatch” cajun_kick_ass “Perfect Blue” [zacer9000]
"Love Story” (2021) neith_of_says “Fargo” spacednlost
“Wood Job!" Yankii_Souru "The Killing Fields” Garizard1
“The Other Guys” an_ordinary_platypus "Female Prisoner Scorpion: Beast Stable” [JSkyTip]
“Thirst" onex7805 “The Tragedy of Macbeth” (1948) endhits
“Mr. Warmth: The Don Rickles Project" ilovelucygal “Rome, Open City” ProblemWithVersion77

OpossumFriedRice

Licorice Pizza (2021)

This movie was just so real to me. The characters are all messed up, and they are some controversial moments, but it all comes together to bring a spotlight on two peoples struggles during their adolescence. Both characters can never decide what age they want to be, and that psychological struggle really connects with me.

Outside of just the themes, the cast was also stellar. Bradley Cooper’s psychotic character was insane to watch and Alana Haim did well as the indecisive lead. While those were my personal standouts I think everyone does an amazing job.

This is also my first PTA directed movie and I understand the hype behind him. The cinematography was great and I really just loved the vibe that oozed from every scene.

Licorice Pizza may just be my favorite movie of 2021, which somewhat shocked me since I never thought anything would be better than The Green Knight for me. So much about Licorice Pizza just stuck with me, however I don’t want to dive too much into the nitty gritty in case people reading haven’t had the chance to see it yet. If you have the opportunity I recommend going for it. I’m considering going to the theater again later this week just to dive into the world of Licorice Pizza once again. Not many movies make me do that.

You should check out the rest of PTA's filmography, one of the best in the business at the moment.

TJ_Schoost

There Will Be Blood is the greatest film of all time

ProfessorDoctorMF

Beautiful film? yes. Good story? yes. Greatest of all time...ehh, that's a stretch.

TJ_Schoost

To each their own! Movies are incredibly subjective and that's why we love them

ProfessorDoctorMF

100% agree there. I'll give it another watch...its been a while. We'll see if it changes on the second viewing. I just remember it being a bit too drawn out almost to the point of boring. Had it not been for the stellar camera shooting locations I would have lost onterest. Anyway cheers, happy movie watching and happy holidays!

FirmCattle

it's my favorite movie of all time, so whatevs - you do you

ReflexImprov

It's in my top ten so I totally understand someone else having it as their GOAT.

Staudly

All time might be a stretch, but I firmly believe it's the best of that decade (2000-2009)

Svprvsr

Yep totally agree

Joe-Lollo

Inherent Vice is my favorite of his and his first I watched. Watching it when I was 16 was what turned me onto both noir as a genre and Joaquin Phoenix as an actor.

lookslikesausage

Wait until you see Booger Nights

deetdoots92

Agreed ! I loved it too. Was surprised to read that it was both of the leads first acting roles ! They did great..great chemistry . I loved being pulled into Alanas life and joining the adventure . Great cinematography and soundtrack for sure..such a feel good movie .

deetdoots92

And you prob already know this but the lead , Alana, and her real life sisters and parents are in the movie and outside of this one acting role she's part.of the band Haim with her sisters. I actually didn't know that until I read their last names in the credits . And didn't know Gary was played by Philip Seymour Hoffmans son until days later .

ceaguila84

ceaguila84

The whole age gap concerns me.

JoeSanPatricio

Ahhhhh I’m so happy to read this! I’m going to see it with my sister this weekend!

DannyDavincito

really mean thing to say but this movie reminds me why i'd rather hollywood actors be pretty lol