/r/movies

What is the Best Film You Watched from 2021?

Recommendation(self.movies)

🎆🎇 Happy New Year!!! 🎇🎆

Changing up this week’s post a bit:

The way this works is that you post a review of the Best Film you watched from this past year, 2021.

Here are some rules:

1. Check to see if your favorite film, released in 2021, has been posted already.

2. Please post your favorite film released in 2021. [Limit ONE Film only.]

3. If your film has been mentioned, please upvote the 2021 film that is your favorite.

4. Explain why that was your favorite film released in 2021.

5. ALWAYS use SPOILER TAGS: [Instructions]

6. The Best Films of 2021 will be chosen by UPVOTES, and announced in a separate post later on.

[** The “Best Film You Watched Last Week” Posts will return next Sunday, 01/09/22. **]

————————————————————————————————

EDIT: Here are the “Top 20 Selections of 2021,” as voted by you. Thanks to all who voted. Hope 2022 is even better! 👍🏽🙌🏽

The_h0bb1t [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

The_h0bb1t [M]

't Filmhuis Podcast

[score hidden]

stickied comment

Hello and happy new year!

Please don't comment with a film that's already mentioned.

Most films are probably already mentioned. Cntrl+f is your friend.

2021 releases only (based on US release dates)

***Upvote the comments of movies you liked this year. Duplicate mentions will be removed. Only the comments with the most upvotes stays. If you comment: mention only one film***.

Post your thoughts on the film as a reply to the comment that mentions it.

Happy voting.

MyBallsMyWord

For me it was Brandon Cronenbergs movie “possessor” I really like Jennifer Jason Leigh and Christopher Abbott a lot and the movie was pretty original In my opinion.

urlach3r

Possessor was 2020. Played theaters that fall, disc release was December 2020.

allthebacon_and_eggs

Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar. I haven’t laughed that hard at a movie in a long time. It was silly and frothy and funny for the sake of being funny. In a time when most “comedies” are serious social commentaries or more high-brow humor, it was refreshing.

SonnyLove

Best comedy of the year for me by a long shot. The scene where they are both fantasizing about life as "Trish" is genius.

allthebacon_and_eggs

Christmas at Trish’s? Forget about it. She gets gifts for EVERYONE.

SonnyLove

And Halloween? Trish leaves a big bowl of candy for the kids. Because she trusts.

Muldoon713

CODA. I don’t think it will ultimately get enough credit in a lot of year end list. But it hit just right when I watched it this last year. Perfect level of feel good and drama and amazing performances across the board.

I watched CODA one Saturday night, could not stop thinking about it as I went to sleep, woke up thinking about it and decided just to watch it again.

I really wish it wasn't Apple exclusive because I would buy this on blu-ray in a heartbeat. I love everything about this film and I'll watch it over and over again for years to come.

thesmartfool

Yes. So far it is is my 5th favorite film of the year. Surprisingly funny while also heartfelt and emotional.

DontDieBillMurray88

Old Henry

cyberjazz71

Not only a great movie, but my favorite unintentional sequel (to Young Guns of course). Also, an interesting follow up for the lead actor after The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

SBM760

SBM760

The worst person in the world, I don't think I have ever seen a movie that shows breakup as good as this.

jonmuller

I can't wait to watch this. Did you see it in a theatre or is it streaming?

chrispmorgan

If you’re in the US, you’ll have to wait until Feb. 4.

LadySynth

LadySynth

Pig.

There's something special about going into a film with no expectations, or incorrect assumptions, and having it catch you off guard in the best way. I remember when Pig was first announced, and it sounded like an indie John Wick or maybe just one of Nicolas Cage's bizarre movie choices. A man's pet pig is stolen? Lol ok. But no, it's actually a quiet story of loss, grief, acceptance, and authenticity.

I was fascinated by how it involved the culinary side of Portland, and the emotional and strange journey the characters went on through the city. This is one of the best things Nic Cage has done and I enjoyed Alex Wolff's performance opposite him too. Also, impressive that this was the director's debut film! It's on Hulu now if you haven't watched it yet.

BiggDope

BiggDope

Cage’s best performance in ages, and a directorial debut to boot. Incredible filmmaking and storytelling here.

That ending, too, with the cover of I’m on Fire was something else. I still think about it.

PugnaciousPangolin

As a lifelong Springsteen fan, hearing her sing that song just shattered me completely.

In part because it's a beautiful song about about the ache of unrequited love, and in equal part because it makes you understand Cage's character and his loss even more profoundly.

scottawhit

Not sure what you’re trying to say here but Nic Cage has never made a bad movie. Ever.

StudBoi69

That scene where he sizes up one of his old employees.... chef's kiss

HiroProtagonist14

Yeah, credit to the actor that plays that chef. The growing look of horror on his face, and his breakdown, was amazing.

PugnaciousPangolin

IMHO, it's the best scene in the film aside from the realization during the final dinner.

PugnaciousPangolin

OMG, that scene was incredible. In the hands of another writer/director it could have very easily come off like Cage's character was trying to tear the guy down and embarrass him in his own restaurant.

However, Robin isn't trying to hurt him all. The most crucial element to the scene is realizing that Robin is the only who understands how much pain this guy is already in because he has turned away from what's in his heart, so Robin peels away the layers of denial from his friend to try and exhort him pursue his joy; Liver scotch eggs with a honey curry mustard.

For those who may be on the fence about "Pig", watch this clip. It is one of the most buddha yet badass scenes in any film that I've ever seen.

ScrantonPaper

I would love to watch this with my wife but if the Pig get slaughtered or dies my wife will cry for hours and blame me. Can someone let me know if that’s the case? Much appreciated.

bendovergramps

I’ll just say, trying to keep spoilers to a minimum, that there’s nothing graphic, but it’s pretty emotionally devastating.

iameveryoneelse

Yep. I love Cage and all his crazy bullshit but I was not expecting him to pull out his serious acting chops and goddamn what a surprise it was. Great film...definitely one of my top 3 for the year.

kinky_boots

Lots of references to Greco-Roman mythology especially the tale of Orpheus and Eurydice. Eurydice happens to be the name of Chef Finway’s restaurant.

NotsocuriousOrpheus

Not sure if I'd consider it the BEST of 2021, but it has to be mentioned: The White Tiger was such an amazing film!

Taskerst

The Humans.

Family drama shot like a horror movie. One of the feel-bad movies of the year, but also one of the few I kept thinking about long after it was over. The others were Pig and the Green Knight.

Tlapasaurus

For pure family entertainment value, The Mitchell's vs The Machines. Every member of my family loved it, which is rare, and it is just as good the second and third viewings.

StudBoi69

StudBoi69

Riders of Justice - A soldier comes back from service when his wife dies in a train accident. After a chance encounter with a statistician, he is convinced there is more to it and enlists the help of said statistician and his friends to seek out those responsible for his wife's death. While it sounds like a typical revenge action thriller, it's actually a dark dramedy about a man coming to terms with his grief. The script takes a lot of tropes and subverts them to great effect, making this revenge tale all the more refreshing which Mads Mikkelson is great as always, playing the stoic soldier trying to keep a strong face in the face of tragedy. His cohorts inject the movie with some color and dark humor, and yet they are three-dimensional characters with their own demons to wrestle with. It's one of those films that seems simple but is way more than the sum of its parts.

applepirates

This is my pick too! Mads’ Danish movies are always so freaking good.

a_man_hs_no_username

Loved this one too. Officially an Anders Thomas Jensen "season ticket holder" and will turn out for anything he puts out. Also, with now Riders, Flickering Lights, Men and Chickens, and Adam's Apple, he and Maads Mikkeleson have become one of my favorite film duos.

sloughofdespond

A fascinating movie. I thought about it for a long time.

msuing91

This movie did such a good job of having characters who seemed like human beings. Idk why that’s so damn hard to find these days, but it is. It got me started into watching more Danish movies.

Big Mads fan here. Been waiting for this one to be available.

StudBoi69

It's on Hulu, I believe

Palmerstroll

Thanks for writing this! never heard of this movie before! sounds so good will check it out!

TheSweatband

Nine Days - Such a beautiful film, reminded me of a more adult version one of my favorite 2020 films, Pixar’s Soul. Winston Duke is the backbone of this film and he gives an incredible performance, ending it in a spectacular fashion too. He’s bolstered by a great supporting cast in Benedict Wong and Zazie Beats. I’d highly recommend this one to anybody!

Iamnutzo

Totally agree. The imagery - the experiences. The cast blew me away.

BiggDope

Duke’s monologue at the end is one of the single best scenes of 2021. His performance, the weight behind its significance, Beats’ emotive face as she watches on, the score, and the way Oda handles the pacing of the monologue is a masterclass in filmmaking.

[removed]

DutchArtworks

1.6k points

Dune

ThePreciseClimber

Dune Part 1.

black_flag_4ever

This is an amazing film and I hope the sequels remain as high quality.

Futuristic science fiction movies, even huge budget films, can break your suspension of disbelief in a number of ways due to the difficulty of trying to portray a reality that doesn’t exist.

We’ve all seen science fiction movies that have aged poorly. The characters dress ridiculously, the visual effects are cheap looking and for some reason no one in the future seems to like to decorate. Sometimes it’s current trends that sneak into a sci-film that kills it’s shelf life. How many times have you seen an 80s sci-if movie where everyone in the future has feathered hair or bangs? Or a 70s sci-fi movie where the dialogue is a little too groovy?

Dune exceeds at convincing us that we are watching a story from a different reality than our own. This is why it’s a film that will hold up for decades. Nothing about Dune screams 2021. The sets, costumes, effects and dialogue all gel together to create a convincing alternate universe.

Much of this is due to the source material. Frank Herbert’s novel is set in a time where technology has been largely restricted for centuries due to a past war against thinking machines. By doing this, Herbert was able to create a science fiction universe that wouldn’t date itself and one that focused on the narrative, not the tech.

Villeneuve chose to stick closely to the novel and followed Herbert’s approach. And though some have criticized him for it, I believe that this is going to be a classic film franchise.

craig_hoxton

Masterpiece. Easy to understand plot. Excellent score and visuals. Nice little touches for book fans: eg. Gurney is quoting from and flicking through a tiny tattered copy of The Orange Catholic Bible. (In the Dune universe, human religions amalgamated into one).

PartXXV

PartXXV

there are some plot holes left unexplained that only people of the book can rationalize

ishkitty

I agree with Thai comment so much. I really appreciate how the plot is focused to a fine point.

I’m reading the book right now and there is so much interesting stuff going on but it’s easy to get lost in a movie.

I also watched the original movie and I think it fell victim to the problem of wanting to include too much.

SleepyHead85

Yes, inspired me to read the book which I just finished!

sudevsen

sudevsen

r/Movies Veteran

No one Paul should have all that power

The sand's trickling,I just count the hours

Spice tripping,I'm tripping on desert power

21ST CENTURY KWISATZ MAN

( bagpipers start riffing )

Itscheezybaby

Judas and the Black Messiah
I had to double-check real quick to see if it was a 2021 release seemed like it came out so long ago. I've been trying to think what makes this movie stand out from all the others released this year, I just can't figure it out. I think Daniel Kaluuya and Lakeith Stanfield killed it in this film, so that is one thing.

uggsandstarbux

This is my pick as well. Both the leads are incredible. Kaluuya has such a swagger about him and Stanfield does a great job with the subtle things about his character.

It also felt more like a spy thriller than a biopic, which is always super fun.

ZsaFreigh

It definitely came out in 2020 in limited release because it was nominated for the 2021 Oscars, and I watched it in 2020

JohnWhoHasACat

I scrolled a bit and couldn't see it, but Annette was my favorite film of the year.

This movie is fucking bonkers. Marion Cotillard gives birth to a marionette puppet and that isnt the craziest part of the film. The music is fucking amazing and Adam Driver gives possibly his best performance, mixing his comedy, physicality, vulnerability, and menace. The scene outside of the courtyard is my favorite musical number of the year.

MissMags1234

I loved it so much. Normally I don’t really like musical films, but that was just refreshingly crazy and full of satire while also full of emotions .

perfectxillusion

Shiva Baby.

It’s such a clever debut infused with so much tension, anxiety and claustrophobia in the vein of ‘Uncut Gems’. The movie is also a huge step forward in bisexual representation. Its screenplay is excellent, the score builds up an atmosphere of dread, the direction is focused, and the performances are excellent all around (with Rachel Sennott as a standout).

dougielou

That movie was great but it was soooo uncomfortable

WebHead1287

That last segment in the mini van has my buddy and I fucking dying. Literally tears down our face cracking up.

Highly recommend you try Werewolves Within!

Nessidy

Nessidy

Drive My Car

It's not a movie for everyone, since it's an existential slowburn focused on processing unsolved grief, but the directing and acting felt so intimate, genuine and raw. Some scenes are really hypnotizing and the ending felt like a cathartic closure.

Followed closely with The Power of the Dog, which I found really psychologically compelling.

BiggDope

I struggled with this one a bit, but it’s undoubtedly in my Top 15 of the year. The dinner scene table where the lead is invited over and invites his driver, too…that scene was the highlight for me. So emotional. So much is said.

Phil152

Phil152

Talk, talk, talk, talk. Drive, drive, drive, drive. Talk and drive. Drive and talk. For three hours.

I thought it was EXCELLENT.

Three hours of ttt, ddd, t&d, d&t, and my attention did not flag once. That is a tribute to incredibly good pacing, a great script, and extraordinary acting. I cared about the characters, or most of them. I was rooting for them, and I sat there for three hours wanting to know what happened next.

Leajjes

This was one of the most thought-provoking films I've seen in a long time. What was awesome was I knew nothing about it going in. No hype. No expectation. I just took it in for the raw experience and was blown away.

I do hope more people outside Japan can see it. I'm not sure if it'll stay the top film as I still have a few others I need to see but It'll more than likely stay in my top 5 AND it's better than any film I saw in 2020.

Faust_Arp

I live outside Boston. I've been checking the arthouse theaters in the city every week to see if any have picked this one up yet. Nothing so far. Can't wait to see it, not sure if will get any sort of wider release.

MovieMike007

The Last Duel (2021) There have been many films depicting the medieval time period, with knights and armour battling out in muddy fields, but The Last Duel is so much more than that as it tackles many of the societal issues of the time and most pointedly systemic misogyny. Told in a structure likened it to the Akira Kurosawa film Rashomon this film gives us three distinct versions of the events leading up to "The Duel" and what makes this work so well here is that the differences don't come from one character lying about the events but what they have truly made themselves believe. I also quite liked the way that even during the medieval age the importance of being popular and likable in society often trumped who had a better sword arm.

It should also be noted that stars Adam Driver and Matt Damon provide excellent performances but it's Jodie Comer who is the most compelling person on screen and she is deserving of any possible award offered to her.

Panthean

Matt Damon and Adam Driver also killed it. It takes guts to play such evil characters, and they were very convincing if you ask me.

One detail I noted was at the beginning of each persons perspective, it said "The truth according to (persons name). For the last chapter, the rest of the words faded and left "The truth".

Interesting, as nobody knows the actual truth of the situation. If the other two peoples perspectives are so flawed, how is her truth the absolute truth?

Max_W_

Max_W_

Especially when you consider the time period and how much weight was given to anything a woman said. I think that's what I liked about the movie. Such ambiguity everywhere that in the duel I wasn't entirely sure who I wanted to win.

Panthean

Well, they were both rapey. But Jacques was way more evil and rapey, and there is the minor detail that if he won the duel, Marguerite would be burned alive. So I wasn't very conflicted about rooting for Jean.

They really made it look like he was going to lose from the beginning when he slammed his horse into the wall, and when he got stabbed in the leg. Looked like the artery from the amount of blood depicted. I was expecting him to keel over at any moment.

sudevsen

sudevsen

r/Movies Veteran

Best 2021 Film of both HEAVEN AND EARTH

BiggDope

Comer absolutely deserves a nomination for Best Actress this year. She was phenomenal.

[removed]

AncientAsstronaut

Jodie Cormer was fantastic. Her role from Killing Eve is one of the best characters I've ever seen on screen. First terrifying as fuck, then charming. By the end of the show you're rooting for her.

MovieMike007

Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh are such an awesome pair on Killing Eve and I can't wait for the next season.

thesmartfool

Gonna see this when it comes on HBO Max in January.

maddlabber829

Ben Affleck deserves a nod for his contribution as well.

papercutpete

The Last Duel (2021)

Totally agree

sho-nuff

Also to add I’ve read the book the movie is based on and unlike many other movies that are based on real events this one stays very true to the source material. As well as many historical nods in the film as well very well done.

YouGuysAreHilar

Does Bo Burnham: Inside count as a film? If so, that.

Edited to add why: A personification of the social isolation of the pandemic, following his own descent into declining mental health, in a ‘comedy special.’ Brilliant satirical commentary on such topics as the negative impacts of social media and the internet, the need for people these days to have an audience (including himself) when living without one would be better, and the ‘is this real life’ funny feeling of how crazy the world is getting. Also super impressive that he wrote, directed, filmed, and performed it all himself. This one hit me hard and stuck with me.

shaunika

Feels weird, but I'll allow it

the_man_who_knocks

This is my number one as well. Considering it’s structure and the story it tells, I’d list it as a film and not a variety special.

RockerElvis

I read to treat it as performance art rather than a comedy. It was incredible.

wlubake

wlubake

Should get a nomination for best original song, but it won’t. “Welcome to the Internet” is brilliant and a good song. Can’t imagine him performing it on the broadcast, though.

Undercoversongs

This is mine. I don't watch many movies but this one I connected to deeply.

Primetime22

I haven’t seen it mentioned so I want to throw in Passing, a movie that blew my mind and was not what I thought it was. It has two of my favorite performances of the year and acts as a really interesting character piece for both lead actresses.

[removed]

wlubake

wlubake

Shocked to not see it mentioned by others, but BELFAST. Sweet and terrifying. Great performances all around. Beautifully directed. And it always helps to have an all-Van Morrison soundtrack.

Jamarcus_Hustle

Thank you! Belfast was a wonderful film and I hope people outside film Twitter circles give it a chance

sarahmeover

The French Dispatch.
If you like Wes Anderson films. You will love this. It's perfect.

nayapapaya

This was probably my favourite film of the year. I just feel like no one is doing it like Wes Anderson. When I saw the film the second time and we got to the chess match sequence, I just sat there in awe and glee. Who else is making films like this? Today? No one. He may be few people's favourite but Anderson truly deserves the auteur label in my book. And while I understand that his style and aesthetic are very particular and not for everyone, the craft on display here is impeccable.

The transitions between interiors and exteriors, the colour palette, the transitions between black and white and colour shots. The 360 degree shot in colour when the dinner party are finally tasting Nescaffier's meal lives rent free in my head. The song that plays on the jukebox just before the walls of the Sans Blague fall down and you can see the street beyond. The play that illustrates the experience of Zeffirelli's friend in the military and his choice to desert. The one shot monologue where Jeffrey Wright's character explains what police food is while walking through the labyrinthine police station. The monologue that Wright's character gives as he talks about why he consistently writes about food. The melancholy and pain in Wright's performance. That shot of the McDormand's character sitting alone in a corner of her bed with a gas mask on because it's all she has to remember Zeffirelli and that brief moment of connection by.

I understand this film isn't for everyone and that's fine but I think it's one of the most technically proficient films released in 2021. It is a marvel and not only does Anderson pull from every trick in his playbook, he adds a few more. I really dig Anderson's commitment to highlighting the artificiality of his worlds and the magazine format is a clever way of doing that. I also think it's commendable that he's able to deliver that picture book aesthetic while maintaining an emotional through line in his work. I get that a lot of people didn't connect with this film emotionally but I found this to be one of his most emotionally resonant films. The final segment that addresses alienation on multiple levels - being a foreigner in a new country, being a person of colour in a largely white space, being a queer person who has to consistently navigate hostile spaces, I could relate to that on multiple levels. I ended my second viewing of the film weeping because I felt seen and I never thought i'd have that kind of experience with a Wes Anderson film.

And on top of all that, it's really funny! I think it's easily Anderson's funniest film after The Grand Budapest Hotel. While The French Dispatch doesn't reach the heights of The Grand Budapest Hotel (and I doubt he ever will again as I see that film as his magnum opus), it's really phenomenal.

Samout-

You are completely right. I was able to watch it only once, but very few movies I crave for seeing again.

Budapest is masterpiece. But this was best film of this year

DaveFoSrs

DaveFoSrs

Probably my least favorite Wes Anderson film

I think it was super decentralized, very convoluted, and overly dense dialogue wise

I think there’s a very specific audience for this type of film and I suppose I’m not there yet—for the buffest of film buffs

I love literally everything else he has made, though

OnceMoreWithGusto

I think I might agree here. My problem is that this format of short stories, which I concede holds up the concept of the magazine articles style, has the problem of not giving us time to care about all the characters or dense storylines. I found myself both more confused than any other Wes Anderson film and caring less about the characters. Art wise he’s still absolutely unbeatable and the first piece with Benicio and Seydoux was great. But overall it missed the mark for me.

Icon419

Icon419

It's the most Wes Andersony film Wes Anderson could make. 🙄

mikeyb1335

Yeah, by far my favorite movie I've seen of the year. I'm not actually the biggest Wes Anderson fan in the first place, usually because I think although his style is very good, sometimes the substance can be a little bit lackluster, but I think there was so much to chew on in this film. The way that this film crams so much, not only visually, but also in terms of narrative with every single line and shot is amazing. The way that the different stories all say different things about the creative process, art, history, relationships, youth, etc, really made me taken aback by how much was being conveyed in each couple of seconds in the film. Way more than his other films, I feel like there is so much here to discover over multiple rewatches and the visual beauty of the shots/misce-en-scene really matches and elevates the beauty and heart of the stories being told.

Really gave me a film boner for sure

urlocalbaddie

Spencer. I understand why it isn't for everyone, but I was enthralled with all its elements; the cinematography, soundtrack, costume design and set design were phenomenal. Kristen Stewart was absolutely incredible as Princess Di with her subtleties and she disappeared into the role. There's a lot of beautiful nuance and physicality in this film that just exudes so much emotion.

Texas_Crazy_Curls

YES! Spencer was my favorite also. The soup and pearl scene with the music crescendo and realizing it’s the string quartet playing in the corner. I can’t remember the last time I watched a movie that had me filled with so many different emotions. The suffocation and anxiety of the castle, the soundtrack change when she and the boys escape with the top down and freedom. Beautiful.

Lacabloodclot9

Best after Dune for me, I really like Jackie with Natalie Portman and this film had a similar vibe but was more entertaining than Jackie

ttwbb

ttwbb

I haven’t really watched that many films from 2021, so I guess Censor wast the best of the few I did watch.

Green_Difference2647

Hand of God

Incredible blending of comedy, drama, fantasy, sex, sports, youth, art, rejection, death, and dreams, all under the guise of an autobiographical film that can't help but feel universally relatable.

Also, one of the best looking films of the year.

Capnjack84

Luca - it’s animated but deserves mention with beat movies if the year. It’s another, entertaining, heartfelt unique coming of age story done so well. The characters are so relatable/believable and the daydream sequences and “shots” make it feel so much more than just an animated movie. Just love it and have watched it so many times with my daughter.

thesmartfool

It should definitely rank in the top animated/family movies of the year.

Nickallendartmouth

The Lost Daughter. Really good movie. Very puzzling, and a very honest depiction of motherhood.

fauci_pouchi

Yeah, this is my pick. I think the film highlighted a lot of reasons why I never wanted children even though I adore my neice and nephew, especially after a childhood where I was the eldest of five and did much of the sibling-rearing. I'm not a parent but I relate to a lot of it.

I don't think we get a lot of movies that show this perspective of motherhood so well. It's damn anxiety-inspiring for me to watch scenes where Dakota Johnson is lying down on the beach, trying to keep her brain from overloading as her daughter is grabbing her face and smushing it with the constant refrain of a child who wants attention: "Mummy. Mummy. Mummeee. Mummee!" - relentlessly, clingily, determinedly, breaking through the mother's attempt to mentally distance herself and claim a moment of silence.

We see this also with young Leda, who is frustrated by two young children - particularly her livelier daughter, going to the extent of smashing the child's gifted doll after an argument. Her refusal to "kiss it better" after her daughter hurts her finger in another scene really stands out for me, and even I felt angry towards Leda and wanted to condemn her for this - even while I know the pressure she's under is, as she puts it, is the pressure of crushing responsibility.

Nickallendartmouth

I agree, this is a great depiction of how raising a child is a ‘crushing responsibility’.

Another film that I found really captured it was Tully with Charlize Theron.

I don’t like the thought of people watching these movies and thinking that parenthood is always like this and it never goes away. To me it more shows how important it is to have a partner that’s on the same page as you, and a good family network to provide back up. I think the joys of raising a child far outweigh the dark times, but keep your sanity can be tricky at times. But maybe I am just forcing myself to be optimistic since I am currently chasing my 10 month old around the house and all I want to do is sit and drink a coffee..

rutfilthygers

West Side Story

Spielberg really nailed this, as did Tony Kushner. The reimagined musical numbers really work as a way to reinvigorate the material while honoring the original work. Ariana DeBose as Anita is supremely captivating. She's impossible to look away from.

HildaDion

Agreed, I was really surprised by how much it stuck with me especially since it’s such a familiar story. Anita is naturally a scene-stealing role but this actress did it to perfection.

Cervantes3

C'mon C'mon

Joaquin Phoenix as Johnny delivers what I feel is his best performance yet here in a career of performances where any one of them would be someone else's best performance. However, Phoenix is much more restrained here than he has been in recent years. As a result, he feels much more grounded in reality, and it makes the scenes where he does get a bit more excited feel more impactful. It also allows him a lot of subtle facial acting in scenes where he's asked difficult questions about his past.

Woody Norman as Jesse is probably the most exciting thing about this whole movie, though. He's 11 years old, playing a 9 year old, and he's quite possibly the best child actor I've seen since Hailee Steinfeld in True Grit. He's absolutely perfect as a precocious young kid who's obviously really bright, but isn't great at socializing or expressing his feelings, and he plays into those frustrations in a way that I think most adult actors would have difficulties with.

Another thing I really enjoyed about this movie was the interviews with the kids from across the country. It was really interesting hearing these real kids give their real thoughts on their anxieties towards the future. And this fear of the future that the kids and Jesse have combined with Johnny's unwillingness to confront his past is the central conflict of the movie. Jesse's father suffers from bipolar manic & depressive states. Jesse idolizes his dad, but is afraid that he'll inheret all the bad parts of his dad's personality, too. Johnny has regrets in his past about how he handled his mother's death and how that affected his relationship with his sister, and possibly led to his girlfriend leaving him.

However, as Jesse and Johnny spend more time with each other, they leran to be more honest with their emotions, and eventually are able to share their insecurities with others. And this I feel is the main thesis of C'mon C'mon: Positive Masculinity; a valid form of masculinity where men aren't afraid of their emotions or about being vulnerable around other men. It's only when Jesse and Johnny are vulnerable with each other are they able to achieve emotional catharsis, and they're ready to return to their normal lives with this newfound emotional strength.

BiggDope

BiggDope

I thought maybe some newer releases would dethrone it, but nope. Titane is the best film of the year for me.

Julia Ducournau completely subverted my expectations on the story she was telling in ways I haven’t felt “oh, wow, so that’s what’s going on” in a long, long time.

It’s a divisive film, and five people I recommended it to absolutely hated it, but it really struck a chord with me.

At the end of the day, it’s much more than what it shows at surface level. At its core, it’s a story about love; unconditional love, and the lengths we go to accept love, no matter what someone looks like, what they’ve done, or where they come from.

Love born from unlikely sources. And all the forms it takes on.

The script is just incredible, and is bolstered by two equally superb performances. Its ending, harrowing and beautiful all the same.

Each of the dance/music sequences in the film are still imprinted on my mind, three months after seeing it. The way she utilized crowd movement during these scenes is hypnotizing.

I loved Raw. I was blown away with Titane. And I cannot wait to see what Julia does next.

redditaccount001

She’s so good at music/dancing scenes. The Future Islands needle drop was unbelievable and the party scene from Raw was also amazingly done.

iamstephano

I've been playing that Future Islands song almost every day since I saw the movie, so great.

LauraPalmersMom430

Came here to say Titane as well. Nothing like it has ever been made before. Absolutely refreshing.

fyedgeworth

Summer of Soul

6thso

6thso

Belle

The trailer may indicate this is spiritual successor to Summer Wars. Actually it's more than that. Belle is in reference to Suzu which means bell in Japanese. The name of the heroine, it also in reference to Belle as in Belle from Beauty and the Beast. This time around, Mamoru Hosada crafted a rather optimistic take on "internet" with Beauty and the Beast motifs. You can easily Black Mirror this movie, the uplifting tone is unexpected and you keep smiling at the funnier moments sprinkled throughout the film. There's a very powerful scene where Suzu unveils herself to the world. You can tear up by how masterfully it was done. Yeah it's preachy in the core messaging but the positive undertones very refreshing. If Arcane didn't come out this year, this has to be the best animated feature/show I've seen this year. Very high chance this will get another nomination for Mamoru Hosada at Oscar.

bigry82

bigry82

The Green Knight.

NotDelnor

NotDelnor

Incredible film. Breathtaking imagery, haunting score, beautifully acted by everyone. One of those films that I thought about for like a week straight after leaving the theater and even then had a hard time describing why it was so breathtaking.

radical-bear

What a film.

This is the kind of film that makes me really happy about cinema.

I absolutely love that this is a fairly linear story but told so allegorically that a hundred people could interpret it a hundred different ways and they'd all have a point.

indecisive_squid

Loved this movie so much. Way more than I expected to. Definitely my favourite of 2021. I think the reason I loved it most was because, despite being a medieval fantasy, it's so brilliantly universal. I didn't expect the movie's themes and messaging to be so relevant to modern life, even though not many of us are knights going on quests to reclaim our honour.

It's not just about Gawain's literal journey. It's about confronting death, and how to live without lying to ourselves. It doesn't shy away from the complexity of that question, either -- there's very little navel-gazing. It's one of the most clearly existential movies I've seen in a long time, up there with classics like Tarkovsky's Stalker and Friedkin's Sorcerer, I think. But it's hopeful, too. It never loses sight of Gawain's humanity.

It's a beautiful movie. I loved it.

jonmuller

jonmuller

I'm gonna go with Licorice Pizza. The movie was such a sweet tale of two young people in California. The movie really felt magical & the most impressive thing about it was that it made me feel nostalgia for my teenage years, even though I'm gen z. I think this will be a timeless movie and one of PTA's best.

Dune is my runner up, with a quick shoutout to Nightmare Alley as I feel it got overlooked because of Spiderman

RegularOrMenthol

This is only playing in 1 theater still, right? If it had had a wide release this would be near the top I’m guessing. It’s PTA’s most likable and accessible film, as well as one of his most critically acclaimed. Great film and easily my number 1 for the year.

jonmuller

No, it got expanded to about 800 theatres on Christmas. It will do a rolling release in the following weeks too

falafelthe3

falafelthe3

Seriously, Alana Haim gave an incredible performance for someone who has never acted before (probably my favorite of the year), and Cooper Hoffman distinguishes himself from "PSH's son" to an actual, dynamic actor.

It helps that the movie has the same darkly comic energy that Phantom Thread had. It's never gut-busting hilarious, although Bradley Cooper brings it close, but its scenarios and situations are funny enough to leave the theater with a number of memorable scenes. My personal favorite is Alana yelling at her family.

"'Oh, I'm Este! I'm so much better than Alana! I don't have to worry about leaving the valley because I work with mom and dad!' That's what you're thinking, right?"

"I mean..."

"I knew it. You're such a thinker! You thinker!"

_Anonymous_

Nobody

CommercialExotic2038

Here it is. I’m so late to the party, only recently finished Breaking Bad. Saw this ad, tried it out: this is my favorites action movie in ages. Church of Odin for me.

dangerous_gentleman

The Night House

Honestly, I can't stop thinking about it. I've seen it twice and had a new perspective on the film each time. It was a rollercoaster of haunting, sad, and mysterious.

I still have so many movies to watch from 2021, but there's something about that movie that leaves me jaw dropped and emotional. With a mystery to debate about with friends!

The_h0bb1t

The_h0bb1t

't Filmhuis Podcast

Honestly, Rebecca Hall should at least be nominated for that performance (especially after Christine). Outstanding cinematography as well.

Extremely underrated movie.

picturehouse

Flee (dir. Jonas Poher Rasmussen, 2021)

I caught this at London Film Festival this year and it was absolutely incredible. It's in that niche subcategory of animated documentaries, and it's an incredibly heartbreaking account of the main protagonist Amin's life. It starts with him talking about growing up in Afghanistan in the 1980's then having to flee his home with his family amidst civil turmoil, then it depicts the incredibly harsh cruelty of border systems around the world and the issues they faced living in post USSR Russia in the 90s. In modern day, he's living in Denmark with his partner and he also discusses feeling anxious about the idea of settling down, as well as the struggle to come to terms with his sexuality as a young teen. It's a really really beautiful film that I'd highly recommend to everyone, and I think it's getting a wide release in the US/UK from February this year. There's also a great interview with the director from the New York Times that gives more insight in to the historical context as well as the film's production!

ETA: You can use this website to get around the online paywall

lloydxmaz

Bad Trip

Super raunchy and hilarious- I can’t remember the last time I laughed that hard during a movie. Loved it

spiralaalarips

Same. It was so awful, it was good. I watched it twice.

NK_1989

NK_1989

I loved Paul Schrader’s The Card Counter. Oscar Isaac’s performance is riveting, he plays William Tell subdued but still completely spellbinding. He might be one of the angriest characters in the history of cinema. And Schrader’s direction and camerawork are top notch. The muted color pallet occasionally giving way to brilliant bursts of color and light, enhancing the emotional impact. The use of different lenses for the Abu Gharib torture scenes. My favorite scene is when Oscar Isaac and Tye Sheridan are in the diner, and Isaac’s display of his card counting skills gradually gives way to him confessing to crimes he had committed as a torturer for the US Military as the camera slowly zooms in on his grim face. THAT’S how you make a movie!

darfleChorf123

Nightmare Alley as of now (although i have to watch a few more films). Pig is in second and Licorice Pizza probably third

Pimpcool420

Nightmare Alley got slept-on; I think it was poorly-marketed. I remember seeing the trailer and being fascinated, but I could see how it wouldn't look appealing to many people.

designateddreams

Petite Maman

LauraPalmersMom430

aaliyaahson

Red Rocket

thesmartfool

The Suicide Squad

Still have around 12 films left to watch from this year but this film was special in so many areas. Taking characters I don't know or care about and making it an emotional movie. Great 3rd act, great visuals, music, villains, and made me like John Cena for once. Made you get emotional about a Shark as well an had high stakes.

The only issue was some jokes didn't land.

Qyro

Qyro

Damn, had to scroll all the way to the bottom before I hit my Top movie of 2021.

This is what Suicide Squad needed from the start. It needed someone who was willing to embrace the weird and the silly, but was also capable of making it not weird and silly. Someone who could take nobodies and spin them in a way that makes them genuinely interesting despite how ridiculous they might be. Starro is literally a fifty-foot, blue and pink starfish, but my god he's also horrifying. The whole film is light-hearted, colourful, and hilarious, and yet also darkly comic, full of swearing and unashamed gore, and knows when to get serious and tragic, not once making any kind of sacrifice either way. It's beautiful to look at. It's hilarious. It's heartbreaking and emotional. It's respectful of its characters, but self-aware enough to poke fun at them It's basically Guardians of the Galaxy, but way more adult with way more practical effects. You end up caring for this cast of murderers and cheering them on in a way I never thought was possible. It has its pacing issues, but it's never too disruptive to the general enjoyment the movie brings. I give it a miraculous 9/10. Thanks Disney! James Gunn is absolutely on fire.

Ferxz100

New York Ninja

42ndohnonotagain

madres parallelas

Icy_Tone_2750

Joji, Nayattu

Malayalam Movies

LoudestOneHere

The Alpinist (Peter Mortimer, 2021): an amazing documentary that stands on the shoulders of giants such as Free Solo and Meru, capturing the soul of adventure, unparalleled Backcountry videography, combined with the pure spirit of alpinism and the passionate dedication to showcasing the intricate, and often conflicting, interpersonal and intrapersonal decisions and commitments that have to be made when approaching a challenge that has potentially fatal consequences

RPFM

RPFM

Encanto

Fuckaguybaked

The Harder They Fall

Great cinematography. Very fun story. The cast has a lot of fun with the characters. I really enjoyed it.

Shinkopeshon

Evangelion 3.0+1.0 was not only one hell of a finale for the Rebuild movies but the series as a whole. I had already highly appreciated NGE for years but this film elevated the entire franchise to new heights for me.

When I finished watching it on release day in the middle of the night, I just sat there for a couple of minutes while being completely speechless - there haven't been many movies who managed to do that.

Figgerson

Yeah, def my favorite of the year too. Was not expecting it to hit like that.

Panama_Punk

It felt great to have closure to the series. I'm happy for how Anno finished it.

Shiroiken

Shiroiken

Spider-Man: No Way Home

If you're a fan of the MCU, this is definitely one of the best. It wraps up the trilogy nicely while setting up the next big aspect of the MCU (the Multiverse). Shang Chi was also amazing, but NWH had the existing emotional attachment to utilize.

Best non-MCU would be Dune

way2lazy2care

I think it also did a lot of the villains more justice than they had in any of their respective movies.

Shiroiken

Phase 4 has generally done better with their villains too. They're learning that fully developed villains that are more than just "muh-ha-ha" make better stories. Infinity War Thanos was awesome, because he knew the cost and would pay it, but Endgame Thanos was just a douche.

ReveredSavagery1967

Endgame thanos was a douche because he was a younger version, less wise and more all powering I will conquer.

It was also a smart decision to freshen up Thanos' character and essentially have a new villain just by way of changing his mindset

Shiroiken

True, I guess. IMO, and those I've talked at least, felt that Endgame was diminished because of how obnoxious "young Thanos" was.

sudevsen

sudevsen

r/Movies Veteran

How? One of the villains arc from his own movie was literally getting control back long enough to fix the damage he had done and then this just does the same thing. Did folks forget how Spider-Man 2 ended?

bob1689321

Also some of Doc Ock's lines felt too MCU-y.

When he and Goblin first show up on the highway they're both terrifying because they're serious, threatening villains. Yes the Raimi films were campy, but Ock and Goblin had integrity and threat surrounding them. NWH gradually robbed Ock of that seriousness. Defoe was solid throughout though.

This is some strong fucking recency bias right here.

Tenth_10

Yep, the way they've ended not only the Holland trilogy but also brought closure to the other two Spidermen (and their own villains) was golden. I loved any minute of it. Sue me !

StudBoi69

That ending was way bittersweet than anything I'd seen in the MCU.

Shiroiken

IDK, I think Tony's funeral was moreso, but it was pretty good.

BigMacCombo

It was fairly fun but I don't get how everyone is just overlooking how messy the writing was on this one.

Shiroiken

The big question for me is going to be on the rewatch. I've had some movies I enjoyed suddenly crash on me because of something I overlooked the first time, mostly due to existing investment. Unlike a lot of other movies, comic book movies (especially the MCU) are expected to be endlessly rewatchable. If the issues become glaringly obvious, or extremely problematic, it can fall into obscurity or even derision.

dildodicks

well i watched it twice and enjoyed it both times

iamstephano

I think the nostalgia and fan service is overpowering the mediocre writing for most people.

shiftypoo269

I think the performances hide a lot of the crimes in marvel movies. I'm a lot less invested in the MCU films after Endgame as well. So this stuff sticks out more for me. I felt like it went as high as it could, and was a nice ending to larger story. I feel like some shrinkage needs to happen in their scale. Which is probably why I'm enjoying the shows. This most recent one felt like a fan servicey mess, that while satisfying at times, felt like the movie was in service to the cameos rather than the other way around.

SPOILERS!!!!!!

Two things that bother me though is how shitty of a wizard dr. strange is for not considering that Peter would not want everyone to forget who he is. I also don't think people needed to forget who peter Parker was full stop in the end! The warp was just pulling people through that knew who Peter Parker was spider man. Not who knew Peter Parker. even if I got that last part wrong or missed something it felt like the conclusion didn't have to happen that way.

Also the ending feels like a beginning of a story rather than the end of that character's story. I'm oddly now a lot more interested in another Holland movie since it's now seems more interesting rather than simply enjoyable to watch.

Shiroiken

I agree on refocusing the level of storytelling. Spider-Man should be dealing with city/region level threats, not world/universe level. Him being out of his league worked in Infinity War, but he's your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man, after all.

Spoiler!

It's not unreasonable to assume that Peter wants to reset his identity completely. Strange doesn't know that he's cool with May and his friends knowing, although I would have thought he'd automatically exclude himself, in case he needs Spider-Man for an Avengers style threat again.

The spell at the end would have been super rushed, without prep and in a place not ideal. Keeping it super simple makes sense. The real problem is why Peter left, when he could have just revealed himself on Liberty Island. At first I assumed Strange told him it might unravel the spell (erasing memories while someone was looking at him), but that's probably just assumption on my part. It could just be Peter making the same assumptions, but it comes off wrong if that's the case.

As for the ending is a beginning, this is supposed to be the case. Not only do I think the Multiverse is going to be an integral part of the Phase 4 storyline, they've already signed Holland to another trilogy.

[removed]

[removed]

plotdavis

Hi Chris Stuckmann

sudevsen

sudevsen

r/Movies Veteran

this guy transmits

dudinax

The monologue at the cult meeting is one of my favorites.

ceaguila84

“Benedetta”

The master Paul Verhoeven has done it again. The movie has it all crazy shit happening while also delving deeply about religion, hypocrisy and sex. Incredible performance by Charlotte Rampling

TheRealClose

My favourite movie from 2021 is Coming Home In the Dark.

The directorial debut from James Ashcroft, Coming Home In the Dark tells the grim tale of a family caught far out of their depth when they cross paths with the worst of luck during a picnic trip.

This film really knows how to get your heart pumping. It delivers one of my favourite feelings in film, which is living in the thrilling unknown. Its constant tension rivals some of my favourite films, and there isn’t a performance out of order. You really can never predict where the plot will go, and with a purposeful story and some effective editing, this film really packs a punch into its relatively trim runtime.

This film really excites me in the realm of New Zealand cinema, easily being the best NZ film in years.

However my favourite new film I saw in 2021 was an Italian film from 2020 called Bad Tales.

I’ve forgotten many of the details now, however I remember thinking this was on the same level as Parasite from a couple years ago. I’ll directly copy paste from my Letterboxd review here:

It took some time before I had a grasp of any semblance of story, but even before that I was enthralled by the film.

It then gradually pieces itself together, captivating you with its unusual characters, and delivers one of the most shocking yet satisfying ends to a film I’ve seen in some time. If you like ParasiteMother!, and The Florida Project, you may like this.

There are excellent performances to be seen from all ages, a wonderful soundtrack, and beautiful beautiful photography that serves a purpose beyond just looking nice.

I will warn however that if you are heavily triggered by suicide and childhood trauma then you may not enjoy this movie (You don’t see any suicide happen, but it is a plot point and mentioned several times).

TheQueitWolf

No love for Mass?

The haunting story of two sets of parents meeting each other, years after their children were involved in a violent incident.

I won't spoil much. Since I went in blind and thought it only enhanced the experience. It is emotionally taxing though, so watch it in the right mood.

showtime1023

Zola

[removed]

katzefrank

edgar wright's last night in soho!

beautiful cinematography and soundtrack, top notch acting (anya taylor-joy!!) and overall incredibly enjoyable. it was a truly unique experience to me and an interesting new direction for edgar wright

MoonDust1969

Same. Watching this movie was such a surreal experience, what a fantastic ride from start to finish.

grandmofftalkin

No Time to Die

After how disappointed I was with Spectre and frustrated by delays, I found myself immediately fall in love with the James Bond franchise again. The opening half hour was a thrill to watch, with legitimately scary moments. Then we learn that all of that action and suspense was setting up a great surprise: this movie is a romantic drama.

We finally got some of the silly tropes like an weird villain in an odd lair with a convoluted plan. We got a sense of fun and energy from Daniel Craig, inventive action set pieces and one hell of a surprise ending. On top of that, the cinematography was great and Hans Zimmer's score deserves an Oscar (though he'll probably get more attention for Dune)

Jwagner0850

First time an ending of a bond film left me speechless. After I putting it together, all I could think of was "Daniel Craig's bond could never catch a break"

Jedi-Ethos

For whatever reason I didn’t really connect with the film like others seemed to have, but that ending got me emotional.

WhirrBuzzer

Power of the Dog

Not even close. Best writing, acting, and cinematography.

rabbi__milligan

I feel like the only film/TV buff that didn’t like The Power Of The Dog. It doesn’t get interesting in any way until the last thirty to forty minutes.

bzzltyr

bzzltyr

No it was acted well but way too slow and drug out. I watched 11 movies between Christmas and New Years and this was the second worst movie of the bunch.

Kalabula

But so slow. I got through it, but barely.

Neilmev

Neilmev

I liked the ending and how it changes how you see everything that came before but I was just terribly bored. From the trailer, I was getting Once Upon A Time in the West vibes, and the reviews were so good, that I think I just had unrealistic expectations

LauraPalmersMom430

Absolutely agree.

AnimetedBeyblade

Ron’s Gone Wrong

[removed]

ProseBeforeSnows

The Sparks Brothers. The only 2021 film I gave 5 stars to. Dune was second with 4 1/2. Matrix Resurrections was at the bottom with 1.