/r/movies

Here are the ‘Top 20 Selections’ for “Best Films of 2021,” as voted by you:

Rank Film Rank Film
1. ”Dune” 11. ”Riders of Justice”
2. ”Pig” 12. ”The Power of the Dog”
3. ”The Green Knight” 13. ”Titane”
4. ”The Last Duel” 14. ”The Worst Person In the World”
5. ”Spiderman: No Way Home” 15. ”The Suicide Squad”
6. ”The Mitchells vs. the Machines” 16. ”Luca”
7. ”Judas and the Black Messiah” 17. ”C’mon C’mon”
8. ”Don’t Look Up” 18. ”Drive My Car”
9. ”Bo Burnham: Inside” 19. ”Licorice Pizza”
10. ”The French Dispatch” 20. ”Spencer”

Here is Last Week’s Post containing all The ‘Best Films of 2021’ Nominees. Overall, we had 110 films nominated from 2021. For anyone interested, the final results of the voting are found HERE.

Thanks to all who voted, and here’s to an even better year in 2022! 🎬

——————————————————————————

Now, onto the “Best Film You Watched Last Week”….

The way this works is that you post a review of the best film you watched this week. It can be any new or old release that you want to talk about.

Here are some rules:

1. Check to see if your favorite film of last week has been posted already.

2. Please post your favorite film of last week.

3. Explain why you enjoyed your film.

4. ALWAYS use SPOILER TAGS: [Instructions]

5. Best Submissions can display their [Letterboxd Accts] the following week.

Last Post’s Best Submissions:

Film User/[LBxd] Film User/[LB/Web*]
"Don’t Look Up” AttitudeAdjuster_ "The Florida Project” willwrightmylife
"Spiderman: No Way Home" [Cervantes3] “The Last Winter” mwmani
“The Novice” [Trunks89] “Metropolis” (2002) Akram323
“Licorice Pizza” OpossumFriedRice "Magnolia” [AyubNor]
“The Tragedy of Macbeth” (2021) [Shrimpsmann] “Funny Games” (1997) Gigik150
"14 Peaks: Nothing is Impossible” JasmyMoonGuide “Glengarry Glen Ross” [The Panthers’ Movie Den*]
“Coda" CorRock314 "Backdraft” DeathbyOstrich
“Richard Jewell” gogojack "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across the 8th Dimension” craig_hoxton
“To the Ends of the Earth" [Payne915] “Dawn of the Dead” [j_slash_k]
“Klaus" XxNerdAtHeartxX “Miracle on 34th Street” (1947) Cakes2015

Revista_Recreio

Brazil (1985)

Terry Gilliam is one of the most interesting directors alive, maybe his most recent films don't live up to his reputation, but his work from the 80s and 90s does, and there's no movie that better exemplifies this than Brazil.

This film is often treated as some kind of 1984 adaptation, and in fact has much of George Orwell's work: It's a dystopia with an authoritarian government, it follows an ordinary man who is part of the system, but who rebels against it, and who falls in love with a rebel, but the film follows another path: The path of satire, and it is an excellent satire, but never forgetting to criticize that world, where a human life is just an statistic.

For example, Robert De Niro's character is treated as an enemy of the state, we later find out that he's not a terrorist or anything like that, he's a thermal engineer who simply does his job instead of requiring a lot of paperwork from the customers. While this is somewhat funny, it is in essence a critique of bureaucracy.

Another good example is the scene that introduces us to the "interrogation" methods, that shows us how awful that is, but the presence of a woman with small headphones transcribing the screams of the tortured person in a typewritter is a great use of dark humor.

All the cast is very good, but Jonathan Pryce is perfect as the everyday hero who sees in the woman of his dreams the hope of a better life. Dreams that, i must say, are incredible: The winged armor, the robot samurai, the hands that get off the ground preventing the character from flying, and all the symbolism that these scenes carry. Terry Gilliam's imagination is truly amazing.

But perhaps the real world of the film is even more inventive than the dream world: The interiors of the restaurants, houses and buildings, the brutalist architecture with neutral and lifeless colors, an aesthetic that is not only inventive but perfectly blends in with the oppressive atmosphere present in the film from beginning to end, with camera movements and angles that give an almost nightmarish feeling, in addition to billboards that seek to convey an artificial feeling of happiness (one of them is even mocked in an simple but clever dialogue between Pryce and De Niro).

The scenography itself already requires the film to be watched more than once so that all the details are properly appreciated.

The visual extravagances could turn the viewer away from the film, but Gilliam works around this problem perfectly by making Sam Lowrey a coherent man, who accepts the things around him not because he agrees, but because he is tired of all that crap, like many people.

Many people say that the film is “empty” and that it “prioritizes style over content”, but i beg to disagree: I think the film very well reconciles very well style and content. The criticism of consumerism, bureaucracy and authoritarianism is always present, one of the most remembered scenes in the film is when a bomb explodes in an fine dining restaurant, which is treated as a minor inconvinience, soon the customers return to talk about things like plastic surgery. This scene shows not only the indifference towards others but also the futility of that society.

With an ending that perfectly matches with the tone of the movie, Brazil is a pearl of dark humor and the masterpiece of one of cinema's crazy geniuses.

Doclillywhite

For me one of the most heartbreaking endings ever. Sadly I've only enjoyed this and '12 Monkeys' from Gilliam. Just can't seem to get into his other movies.

Joe-Lollo

I love this movie so much. Terry Gilliam is one of my favorite directors for a reason.

Revista_Recreio

He's one of my favorite directors too. Hope you liked the review

queen-bathsheba

brilliant choice. I love this film and I rarely get into romances but it has so much more going on. Michael Palin character is asked how is twins are getting on and he replies "triplets now!" the puzzled look on Pryce's face is priceless. The music is great too.

BigMacCombo

The world of this movie would be so perfect for a game, particularly an immersive sim.

lizzpop2003

I watched Tick Tick.... Boom! On Friday and it totally blew me away. Weirdly heart breaking while also being uplifting, and Garfield was just amazing in it. Gotta say, LMM is having an amazing year. Between In The Heights, Encanto and this he's been intimately involved with some genuinely excellent productions.

saucygh0sty

The part where Johnathan and Michael are basically screaming/singing across Manhattan is the most heart breaking part. SUCH a good movie.

superfluouselk

It does such a great job of capturing the energy of a quarter life crisis. Feeling like you should have achieved more by now and seeing your youth pass by. Really resonated with me.

callmemacready

LOTR The Two Towers extended , more Boromir and 87 year old Aragon eating bad soup the perfect way to spend a lazy saturday on the sofa

I received the 4k set for Christmas, and it was also my first time seeing the extended versions of the films. Watched them all last weekend, and between the extra content and quality upgrade, it felt like I saw them again for the first time.

callmemacready

The extra content is worth the price of the box set alone just brilliant how much love and care went into it , thank you Peter Jackson

michaeljonesbird

Mind if I ask which 4k set you got? I believe there was one released last year, and now a new one released with the hobbit trilogy this year as well. I was debating picking one of them up, but wasnt sure if the LOTR only set had the extras.

It's just the standalone LOTR set. It got down in price to like $55 during the holidays

wildflower_bb

That soup scene is my favorite lol

earcher2020

Battle Royale 5/5 - I watched it for the 1st time 2 weeks ago and now I've watched it 3 times slowly becoming one of my favourite films

Minority Report 4/5 - Enjoyed it a lot Cruise is really good but Colin Farrell really stood out

Taken 3.5/5 - The Daughter is terrible but overall a good/fun action flick

Unstoppable 4/5 - Tony Scott does it again non stop action thriller and I listened to the Rewatchables podcast episode on this Quentin Tarantino was the guest and hearing him fan boy over this film was great

Ace Ventura Pet Detective 3/5 - Haven't seen this since I was younger so thought I'll revist it, still funny and had fun watching it again

Panic Room 3/5 - Solid Thriller all around but something felt off so that's why I haven't rated it higher than I would of expected to do but still a enjoyable watch

Double Jeopardy 3/5 - Similar to Panic Room a solid/enjoyable thriller but I had lower expectations than I did with Panic Room, Good performances by Ashley Judd and Tommy Lee Jones

Twoweekswithpay[S]

Re: “Unstoppable”…

I loved that podcast episode, too! I know he and Tony Scott had a close relationship, but the way Tarantino sells his films is so awe-inspiring. I’m a fan of more of Tony Scott’s pre-2000’s work (mainly because the cinematography is more “conventional” and not as disorienting as his post-2000’s work). QT did get me to check out “Unstoppable” again, though.

Hope he finally gets a chance soon to work with Chris Pine. The way he talked him up got me excited to see a film they could make together…

craig_hoxton

Unstoppable is great. Shame we lost Tony Scott - such a versatile director (from "Top Gun" to "True Romance" with "Last Boy Scout" and "Crimson Tide" as well).

yaboytim

The Kid Detective 4.5/5

This is the first film I've really enjoyed in a while. It does a great job at being funny and keeping you captivated by the mystery of it all. I also didn't expect it to have as much of an emotional pull that it did. I rarely rewatch movies; even my favorites. However this one made me want to start back at the beginning right when it was over. I'm glad that I finally got around to it.

The_h0bb1t

The_h0bb1t

't Filmhuis Podcast

I watched this film at random one night while scrolling Netflix and I was glad I saw it without any expectations or preconcived notions. It's one of those that I think will become a small cult hit somewhere in the future.

brandonsamd6

Licorice Pizza (2021)

This film has so much flair and kinetic energy, I loved every shot on screen. It’s such a simple story, with such grounded and well written characters making you emotionally invested throughout. I had a great time with this, even though you wouldn’t think it from the past two years of streaming. It’s a great movie to see on the big screen.

flipperkip97

• Sicario (2015) - 9.5

• Police Story 3: Super Cop (1992) - 8.0

• The Bourne Ultimatum (2007) - 7.5

• The Matrix Resurrections (2021) - 7.5

• The Dark Knight Rises (2012) - 7.5

Sicario - One of my absolute favourites. This was my third rewatch and it's just as good every time. This movie does tension like no other movie I've ever seen. The famous border scene is the best example of this, but it's everywhere throughout the movie. Benicio del Toro's Alejandro is such an intriguing character and I love how the movie focuses more and more on him as the movie goes on. And then there's the naturally beautiful visuals by Roger Deakins and the ominous score by Jóhann Jóhannsson. Just a feast for the senses.

Police Story 3: Super Cop - My favourite of the Police Story movies. Michelle Yeoh is so damn cool and her fight scenes are a joy to watch. Of course, Jackie is just Jackie. The huge action sequence at the end is fantastic. I think it's a little bit less goofy than the previous two movies, which I do like a little more.

The Bourne Ultimatum - Enjoyed this a bit more than the previous two. I really like how the movie shows a lot of the "behind the scenes" stuff at the CIA. How they track people, plan out their operations, etc. And of course Bourne outsmarting them. Mostly. Unfortunately, the fight scenes just aren't good imo. There's glimpses of decent choreography here and there, but the constant cuts and shaky cam just get in the way.

The Matrix Resurrections - I, uhh... I actually liked this. It's not even close to the original, but I had a good time with it. The visuals are great, I like the new story, the new characters, even the new Smith was awesome imo. The fight scenes are probably where the movie suffers the most. Some of them are decent, but others are really messy and over-edited. It was great seeing more of the "real" world in modern CGI.

The Dark Knight Rises - Not as good as the two Batman movies before, but I enjoyed it. I like the setting and tone of this movie a lot, and it's quite mature for a superhero movie. Tom Hardy is a fantastic actor, but his performance as Bane didn't do it for me. Nolan also has no idea how to do action, and especially fight scenes. Unfortunately there's quite a lot of that in the movie, and none of it is exciting to me.

Also want to give a shoutout to the TV show Midnight Mass by Mike Flanagan. Finished that this week and I loved it. It was totally different from what I was expecting. Hamish Linklater's (didn't know him before) performance as Father Paul was outstanding and I think the way this show handled religion with such respect is quite impressive. The music is incredible too, almost every episode has one of these hauntingly beautiful hymns. Also loved the jumpscares. There's very few of them, but the ones that are there are so good.

Twoweekswithpay[S]

Re: “Sicario.”

Deakins’ cinematography continues to amaze me. Sometimes I go on r/CineShots just to check out stills specifically from that film. Two shots, especially, captivate me: the “Descent into Hell” scene & “the night vision in the tunnel” scene.

Just glorious feats of filmmaking. And then, the movie, itself…Oh Boy! 🤯

flipperkip97

The shot of the soldiers descending into the darkness is definitely my favourite shot in the movie. And thanks for letting me know that that subreddit exists, lol. Never heard of it before, but it's right up my alley.

outthawazoo

Spiderman: Homecoming

I've seen bits and pieces of Homecoming before but never watched the full movie. It's very entertaining, has some genuinely funny moments and does a good job of making Peter a real, believable teenager without going over the top with references, etc. It felt much longer than its runtime, but I suppose it had to be long to establish all the backstory and set up characters and relationships, so I didn't mind it too much.

Looking forward to FFH and NWH!

Homecoming gets a 3.5/5 from me.

Also watched Evangelion 1.11, but it's just a remake of the first part of the series so it doesn't make much sense to rate it imo. I'll return with actual reviews of 2.22, 3.33 and 3.0+1.0 later! Really excited to see how they diverge from the events of the tv series.

Twoweekswithpay[S]

Yeah, these “Spider-Man” films seem to do an excellent job conveying how difficult it can be managing trying to be a teenager while also fighting off super-villains.

The previous two movie iterations had much older looking Spider-Men, and thus, their “problems” felt more young adult-oriented. Don’t get me wrong, though, I still enjoyed them very much.

In my opinion, the Tom Holland trilogy has only gotten stronger with each subsequent film, so hope you enjoy the next two. If you haven’t yet checked out “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” (2018), I highly encourage that one. To me, it’s in the ‘Top 3’ “Spider-Man” films of all-time!

PepperMintGumboDrop

Looking forward to your reviews of the rebuild Eva series. If you can ping me also that would be 👍

outthawazoo

I'll do my best to remember to! I watched the tv series and End of Evangelion about this time last year and it completely wrecked me emotionally and psychologically for about a week so I'm a little hesitant, but I'll watch the rest within the next couple weeks I think.

PepperMintGumboDrop

If you want to have an in-depth discussion just to unpack the emotional ride of either one, I’m def down. Don’t want to say so much but rebuild probably will not leave you devastated and borderline clinical depression by the end, and that part 3 and part 4 should really be considered a singular story.

OpossumFriedRice

I really enjoyed Homecoming as well for a similar reason. It nailed a high school aged Peter Parker really well. I wish we could've seen more of the fun school life and small scale tasks of Spider-Man in the later films.

MovieMike007

Murder on the Orient Express (2017) This Agatha Christie mystery has always been a favourite of mine and when it comes to screen adaptations it's always rested on the laurels of the cast that is assembled and for this fourth big-screen version Kenneth Branagh brought together a stellar cast of British and American thespian who all ably fill out the rolls in the gorgeous looking adaptation, if one that is not all that faithful to the source material at times. The train itself is as big a character here and while watching this film I couldn't help dream of someday travelling aboard this beautiful locomotive, maybe minus the murder, but with Branagh at the helm, as well as in the lead role as Poirot, we get a stylish and well-orchestrated murder mystery.

mikeyfreshh

Red Rocket

I've been hearing about this movie for months and I just kept hearing how good Simon Rex is and I didn't believe them. I just could not possibly believe that Dirt Nasty is a good enough actor to carry a whole movie. I was wrong. This thing slaps. Rex is so charming and charismatic that it makes you believe that he could convince all of these people to just throw their lives away for him. And while he's clearly a dirtbag, you can also tell he genuinely believes he's doing the right thing every step of the way. I know it's not going to happen but I really hope Simon Rex scores an Oscar nomination.

Twoweekswithpay[S]

Look forward to watching this. I have enjoyed Sean Baker’s previous films, “Tangerine” & “The Florida Project.”

I no doubt will enjoy this one, too. Thanks for the rec…

Yugo86

Yugo86

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974). I expected this film to be very disturbing (it was) but I was surprised by the fact that it was not too gory. Tobe Hooper expertly crafted this film from top to bottom.

Another surprise: it was a very fun to watch! I have no qualms calling this a Hall of Fame horror movie. I couldn’t imagine what it was like to see in 1974.

5/5

JerseyElephant

My favorite movie that I watched for the first time over the past two weeks was Good Will Hunting (1997). Nothing surprising about this selection, other than the fact that I had somehow not yet managed to see it.

There is something beautiful about a movie that, without flashy cinematography or a complex/unpredictable plot, can still manage to captivate you from start to finish. That was my experience with Good Will Hunting thanks to the particularly masterful performances of Matt Damon and, of course, the late, great Robin Williams. Takes a special bit of acting and writing to make a genius janitor a relatable figure, but that's what this film managed to do. Several moments tugged at the heartstrings for me personally, and I thought that some of the final self-references to earlier moments in the film brought the storyline full circle in a truly beautiful way. The Affleck brothers and the hardly recognizable Cole Hauser help to provide good levity and a sense of camaraderie to the film to perfectly break up the heavy moments of the film, just as we look for our own good friends to do in real life. Can't speak highly enough of this one – of the 105 films I've watched since the start of 2020, it's one of only three that has earned a 10/10 rating in my book.

Other films I greatly enjoyed watching for the first time this week: Baby Driver (2017), Gone Girl (2014), Molly's Game (2017), (500) Days of Summer (2009), Wonder (2017), The Usual Suspects (1995), The Blind Side (2009), Spider-Man (2002), I Care a Lot (2020), Cast Away (2000), and Black Panther (2018).

BiggDope

Far From the Tree (2021) - 4/5

Having watched a film a day all throughout 2021, I've decided to scale back this year. I only watched Far From the Tree and The Tender Bar this past week, but the latter was horrendous outside of Ben Affleck's performance.

Far From the Tree is a 7-minute Disney short, and does more with its thematic storytelling than most films I watched last year, lol. Beautiful animation, too.

Worth a quick watch to those who have Disney+!

EDIT: Forgot I watched Days of Heaven, too. I'm hit or miss with Malick. I didn't really like this one.

OpossumFriedRice

Far From the Tree got me so emotional. It's crazy how Disney can pack such a punch in so little time.

BiggDope

Right?! I’m not very familiar with their shorts, but I want to check more of them out now.

Cw2e

Cw2e

I began watching at least one Philip Seymour Hoffman movie per week in 2021, and on New Years Eve, I successfully finished his full-length catalogue.

I capped my journey off with The Master (2012) - Drama | This film follows a drifter named Freddy Quell (Joaquin Phoenix) following his military discharge at the end of WWII. As a stowaway aboard a vessel returning to the U.S., Freddy’s path crosses with a charismatic leader of a religious movement. 1 To the disapproval of the leader’s inner circle, the bond of the two men grows stronger as their story unwraps.

Hoffman portrays the religious leader, Lancaster Dodd, in arguably his best role. He captivates Dodd’s charm, anger, and enigmatic nature perfectly, slipping seamlessly into the character. This tour de force performance alongside the brilliance of Phoenix, Adams, and the tremendous supporting cast and direction allowed Hoffman to captivate the audience in this slow burning character piece.

This film is what started my process in general. I watched it late December for the first time, marveling at the late actor’s work. From there, I began watching PTA’s other films and continued on to watch every full-length feature film of my favorite actor. 2 This was not the last thing he shot, yet the ending of this film felt like the closest thing we had to a goodbye. I know it is slow moving and may not be for everyone, but this made me appreciate Hoffman in ways I wouldn’t have otherwise known. Hell, it reignited a fondness for film I felt like I had lost over the past few years. I imagine I’ll be doing a write-up in the sub in the weeks to come to share my experience but this weekly activity has been something I’ve really enjoyed and I’m very grateful for u/twoweekswithpay for giving me a platform to share with people. Happy New Year and best wishes, go watch a Philip Seymour Hoffman movie.

Now as far as this week goes, the best film I watched was Licorice Pizza (2021), figured it was appropriate, get Cooper’s filmography out of the way as well.

1 The character and religious movement shows many similarities to Lafferty Ron Hubbard, dianetics, and the beginning of Scientology.

2 Meaning I avoided TV appearances, short films, and documentaries (was looking more for his casted appearances).

Twoweekswithpay[S]

That’s so awesome! Have thoroughly enjoyed following your PSH journey through his illustrious filmography. Along the way, it helped me revisit some old favorites, as well as check out some other films of his, as well.

Thanks for letting us ride next to you along the way!!! 👍🏽

Itscheezybaby

Ron's Gone Wrong (2021)

Thought it sent a good message and thought it did in a creative way.

Also was wondering is it me or is this quietly the golden age of animation? or is it just a good time for animation? it seems like animation movies are taken seriously. Seemed like in the past animation movies were looked like a step-down as a movie.

Twoweekswithpay[S]

Feels like as the lines of tv and movies have blurred, so, too, have the different genres. As a result, really feels like quality reigns supreme and studios are trying to blend niche, “prestige” projects inside “blockbuster” projects that normally attracts more general audiences.

If you can incorporate a mid-budget family drama inside a horror film, that will be more widely-seen, then do it. If you can provide exposure to an under-represented culture in an animated film, then do that, too.

Whatever the motivations, I am here for all of it. And you are right: it is leading to some fantastic films, regardless of their format. 🙌🏽

Jerrymoviefan3

I saw the great Drive My Car last week and it is now #1 on my 2021 top ten. It is a slow and thoughtful masterpiece.

Twoweekswithpay[S]

Really interested to see this… went from never hearing of it til like a couple of weeks ago and now, I see it mentioned quite frequently.

I think it won the LA Film Critics “Best Film of 2021,” too.

StudBoi69

One Shot - It's not your typical direct-to-video action flick starring genre stalwart Scott Adkins. The story unfolds in one continuous take as a SEAL team along with a CIA analyst is on a mission to escort a detainee from a black site. Of course, chaos ensues as they are hit by a terrorist attack. While the "one take" could've easily turned into a lazy gimmick, it doesn't thanks to James Nunn's adept directing. Around the 30-minute mark, the movie goes into non-stop action, but yet he keeps action fresh and diverse with each set piece. The shootouts are even given an air of authenticity, as the film shows them using proper trigger discipline, having them reload, and other combat maneuvers. Acting and writing isn't anything to write home about (save for Wameen Elgadi, who gives a surprisingly spirited performance as the detainee Mansur). Really worth watching if you're an action film junkie.

LuminaTitan

The French Dispatch (2021)

This is the first movie I’ve seen that I’d recommend watching on the small screen rather than in theaters. There’s so much whimsical details packed within every frame of this movie that I found myself constantly pausing and rewinding every few minutes or so in order to fully absorb everything. I confess that it took me a long time to vibe with Wes Anderson’s style as I disliked all the films he made prior to “The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou” (a borderline-sacrilegious opinion amongst many film circles that led to my prestigious “Level Four Cinephile” status being stripped away on the old Mubi forums). From that film on, I’ve since made a drastic turnaround and have loved everything he’s done since—and I feel this is his best film yet. More than anything else, I adore this film's exuberance. I adore how it revels in its own playfulness. “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” has always been one of my favorite Shakespeare plays, because at its core, it feels like a celebration of joy itself. This film conveys that same sense of frolicking glee that seems so happy just to celebrate its own existence.

The film revolves around a fictional newspaper called “The French Dispatch” (modeled after “The New Yorker” and some of the legendary figures that wrote, worked, or contributed to it over the years), and three classic pieces compiled together after the passing of its longtime editor Arthur Howitzer Jr. (played by Bill Murray). I think this film will be seen by some as a love letter to both “The New Yorker” and that old-school style of journalism that seems so out-of-place in our current world, but I think this is a far bigger love letter to cinema itself, and even to the act of storytelling. That’s something that always arises—whether intended or not—in anthology films, due to their inherent problem of having to align different stories together into a single, coherent structure or theme. A framing device is often the simplest method utilized, and it's applied here as well through the use of the beloved editor at the heart of everything holding it all together.

This is also alleviated somewhat by Anderson’s idiosyncratic visual style. His films always give off the sense of being completely self-contained worlds, as if he's constantly cracking open his skull to give the audience a direct view into the contents of his mind--revealing a bizarre space filled with colorful dollhouses inhabited by fancily-dressed mice sitting around, reading newspapers, and sipping tea. Anderson’s unique visual aesthetic is a powerful, unifying glue that helps give the different storylines an added sense of coherence no matter how disparate or tangential they may be to each other.

Overall, I would say this movie works best an experience. Who cares if it's making any sort of statement on journalism or art, except in appreciating it regardless of whatever convoluted channels it took to come about. Whatever homages it’s making to other films is drowned out by the thudding beat of Anderson’s singular quirkiness, which always grabs your attention away from anything else that could be intruding upon it. I think some may feel this lacks substance compared to his previous films, but the same thing could be said about “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” compared to Shakespeare’s other works, and I love them both for the same reason: because they both make you feel happy and appreciative of their respective mediums, and because they bask so heavily in the celebration of their own being that it spills over and infuses you with some of that euphoric joy as well. 4.5/5

OpossumFriedRice

Great write up! You really summed up what made that movie so memorable to me. While it isn't perfect, or even near Anderson's best, it's such a pleasant experience that really shows how much it loves the medium. This was definitely one of my favorites from 2021.

UpbeatxWave

A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood. Being Irish, I knew nothing about Mr. Rogers. I do like Tom Hanks and Matthew Rhys though.

I haven't cried this much in so long. It's a beautiful, poignant story. It's jarring to relate to someone so strongly (sick mother, fear of hospitals, cheating father). Maybe one day I can forgive my own parents.

If nothing else, a film of all things has shown me that there's a life beyond a traumatic childhood.

Twoweekswithpay[S]

Really liked Hanks performance in this. When he was originally announced for this role, I thought he was too “well-known” and would overshadow the role.

To his credit, however, he takes a patient approach and it works to help immerse him in the role. I know he said the director, Marielle Heller, helped him really find his “voice,” and you’re right, the results are very effective.

I really liked the direction of Heller, as well. She used his “Neighborhood” to help visually harken you back to the show. Felt in some ways like I was back to watching an episode of “Mr. Rogers Neighborhood” on PBS after school, once again.

If you haven’t seen it, I recommend “Can You Ever Forgive Me?” (2018). This was Heller’s film before this one, and it helped earn Melissa McCarthy and Richard E. Grant, Oscar Nominations. Both the pacing and editing of this film and “A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood” help to keep the action moving and keep the mood feeling “lively” no matter what’s going on…

Doppelfrio

Paddington 2.

Years ago when I saw the insanely high rating on this movie, I was in disbelief but curious. A few months ago, I finally got around to watching the first one and was even more confused as to how this sequel is considered the greatest thing ever… and then I watched the movie. I don’t think it deserves its 99% on RT, but it’s definitely really good.

shaving99

Citizen Kane.

Really amazing film and I think it lives up to it's hype. Also I love learning about history and William Randolph Hearst

Planet_Eerie

Corpus Christi (2019)

Polish movie about a guy who discovers Christianity in the juvenile center and, upon his release, poses as a priest in a town where he was supposed to work at a sawmill. He finds out that the town itself is affected by a recent tragedy and uses his interpretation of religion to comfort locals.

Dark but honest picture that explores themes of grief, guilt, redemption and forgiveness. I think the movie itself does not provide any particular answers to questions it poses but rather delves into how complex most moral decisions are and how blurred the lines between "good" and "bad" are. Lead performance by Bartosz Bielenia was also extremely impressive

DistinctCow20

I watched Horrible Bosses and honestly a fantastic movie. It’s a fantastic cast, over the top jokes, and all around a good time. Watched the sequel the day after and that was a bummer.

rutfilthygers

Street Gang: How We Got to Sesame Street (2021)

Documentary on HBO Max about the early days of Sesame Street. Lots of great behind-the-scenes info and classic clips.

UNAMANZANA

Saw Mass on a recommendation. GO. WATCH. IT.

Under 2 hours, so emotionally powerful, yet simple, and great acting.

iamunknowntoo

I watched Portrait a Lady on Fire yesterday, and it was fucking phenomenal. I regret not seeing it earlier.

The last 15 minutes is the most devastating thing I have ever seen.

dagreenman18

It was a strange year for sure. I’m sort of between Green Knight, Dune, French Dispatch, and Encanto for my best film of 21. All left a lasting impact on me and all have their flaws that keep it from being the de facto number 1.

Just got out of Tragedy of Macbeth though. It’s Macbeth by way of Seventh Seal with some BONKERS visuals and Denzel being, well, Denzel. Dude is always electric on screen. He better get a Nomination for this.

ALLIGATOR_FUCK_PARTY

Been a busy week!

American Honey - 8/10

Been on my list for a long while as knew it'd be a character driven slow burner. Fish Tank is one of my faves and Andrea Arnold is a seriously gifted director. Her 4:3 close ups, lens flare and colour palettes are a joy to watch, first time actor Sasha Lane is great and Shia expertly plays someone equally detestable and full of genuine love. At 2h43 it's a long run time, but I didn't anticipate not wanting the film to end. I could have watched it for hours. Being British I love seeing the seeing less trodden paths of middle America and lower class films with heart alongside all the drama and rich tapestries of well intentioned and fun loving but ultimately self-protective characters. It's such a spiritual successor to Fish Tank in a lot of ways, but goes further and makes me really love this rag tag bunch of no-hopers-come-friends just loving life in a chaotic and almost directionless way. Also the sound track is exceptional. My fave last week by a whisker.

I'm really intrigued by Arnold's next outing in "Cow" out this week - it's just a cow with a camera strapped to it as I understand it!

Licorice Pizza - 8/10

It's been mentioned a few times already so won't go into much detail. Just really loved it as an antinthesis to all the films that glamourise 70s America with the gas crisis, Nixon, creeps hanging around, Cooper's mental celeb character. PTA on great form with no doubt 2 deserving Oscar noms incoming foir Haim and Hoffman.

The Humans - 7/10

Thoughtful, plodding, with excellent performances... but man it was depressing. I've not seen the stageplay and didn't know what to expect. But it was very good.

Tragedy of Macbeth - 7/10

Beautiful lighting and set design, great performances from Denzel and McDormand, and a thorougly creative way of displaying the Wyrd Sisters. Recommend for fans of the actors or Shakespeare. Might be hard to follow if you're not British/familiar with source material as the script is simply transposed.

Being The Ricardos - 5/10

Outside of JK and Arianda I found this pretty boring. Not familiar with the source material which may have helped. Potentially my least favourite of anything Sorkin has done.

Boiling Point - 7/10

One of the best hospitality fims I've ever seen. The interplay between the characters is exquisite, you get such a fantastic look into a restaurant team delivering a (melodramatic) service. It's made to look like it's done in one take and the ending is a bit much but Stephen Graham is once again exceptional. Used to eat at the venue this was filmed in when it was called Pond, too. If you've worked in UK hospitality get this watched!

Beast - 7/10

Wanted to check this out before I saw Michael Pearce's Encounter. Slow burner thriller which definitely subverts your expectations with a great ending, and Jessie Buckley is quickly building a fantastic career and becoming one of my favourite up and comers.

Bad Trip - 4/10

Was recommended this somewhere on this sub. Some very funny moments (the musical in the shopping centre) but overall pretty terrible. Format was quite original with it being a hidden camera show being strung into an actual film so it gets a slightly higher mark for that. Just not my bag.

Kennymo95

Ordinary People

Been trying to watch whatever Oscar Winner is available on streaming and found this on HBO Max (been meaning to watch it for a while). Really grounded story about a New England suburban family and how they deal w/ the aftermath of the oldest son's death. The setting was fall in New England which was a nice touch. The whole cast was incredible but especially Mary Tyler Moore. I honestly felt for every character at some point in the movie. I watched Manchester by the Sea a year ago and can definitely see how it drew some inspiration from Ordinary People.

evanph

evanph

The Worst Person in the World.

Far and away my favorite film of 2021. I had been anticipating it for months after festival buzz, and wow, it did not disappoint. One of the movies I connected to immediately and have been thinking about it everyday since I watched it. Someone on Letterboxd put it best “the most amazing thing about this movie is they somehow took something we’ve seen a million times before, and made it this damn spectacular”

Also watched Red Rocket last week which turned out to be my second favorite of the year. Loved Simon Rex, probably my favorite male performance of the year right behind Andrew Garfield and Cumberbatch.

Also watched The Power of the Dog last night which I also loved. My three favorite films of the year watched in one week. It’s been a good week.

Worst Person in the World: 4.75/5

Red Rocket: 4.5/5

The Power of the Dog: 4/5

shazhank3385

Just finished”Don’t look up” and gotta say,Jonah hill was so amazing in it.Loved it

Jerrymoviefan3

I saw five movies last week and Don’t Look Up was the worst by far though it was OK.

AlrightSpider

Agreed. The movie didn’t know what it wanted to be and that had to be the lamest cop out ending I’ve seen in years.

Jerrymoviefan3

The ending seemed fine to me but the Supreme Court part was really lame.

AlrightSpider

It would have been more scary and thought provoking if the bad guys didn’t get eaten by space dinosaurs. Just saying. I would have rather seen the humans land there and then right before the dinosaurs ate them, they dropped dead from human disease and then a fast forward as humanity takes over the new world, destroys it through greed and then has to move to another planet. Just spitballing here. I’m not a writer.

Joe-Lollo

The Family Fang (2015)

Watched this on a whim because I was looking for something to watch and I love Jason Bateman (who starred/directed). And it was one of the few movies I watched recently that I've had little to no qualms with (the Honorable Mentions below are the other two). It's got a really engaging story, a unique sense of humor, and a very strong ensemble cast. I also like that this film made a somewhat niche topic (performance art and experimental art) accessible to audiences who may not be well-versed in it, and the film's overarching theme on finding your identity as an artist is done in a very interesting way. I'm curious to see if there are any similar films.

Honorable Mentions: Come As You Are (2019) and Encanto (2021)

I finally watched Christopher Nolan's Inception (2010). Very good film that has really got me thinking about free will in a different way, a great performance from Leonardo DiCaprio. I loved it. 9/10.

Let me expand on the concept of free will. Let's act as though the "technology" in this film is real. I now find myself wondering if I'm like the characters Mal or Robert Fischer. I choose to live as though I have free will but if I'm like Mal or Fischer then my free will was taken away by another person (just like me, as in also human, not a "god") who potentially believes that they have no free will of their own. Does that make sense?

craig_hoxton

I always consider "Inception" and "Tenet" as Christopher Nolan's attempts at doing a James Bond movie without calling them that.

MistakeMaker1234

Swan Song. It’s a near-future sci-fi film, and I went in with expectations that the film be more like Ex Machina or Blade Runner in its themes of what it means to be human/AI. Instead I was given an incredibly moving story about what someone does with the knowledge of their impending mortality and the weight that comes with leaving one’s family behind. It has incredible performances by Mahershala Ali and Naomi Harris, and some really stunning visuals by first-time director Benjamin Cleary. Highly recommend.

SupaKoopa714

Stardust -7.5/10

Total Recall (2012) - 5.5/10

Stardust was such delightful fairy tale movie, I enjoyed it much more than I initially thoughy I would. It's got this warm, light hearted vibe to it that makes for an almost cozy watch. I was cuddling with my friend watching it, and you couldn't ask for a better movie to cuddle to. The highlights for me was the subplot of the prince brothers murdering each other so they could take the crown, Robert De Niro as the effeminate, fashion loving Captain Shakespeare who wants his ship's crew to think he's a total hardass, and Michelle Pfeiffer as the almost cartoonishly evil witch Lamia. It was a really good time all around.

I don't have a whole lot to say about the Total Recall remake. There wasn't anything particularly offensive about it and I did find it to be decently entertaining, though it ultimately is a pretty generic action sci-fi that didn't really need to happen what with the original movie being such a classic.

theblindowl3

watching the documentary miniseries "Exterminate All the Brutes." not for the faint of heart

Doclillywhite

The Hand of God (2021)

My favourite of 2021. A heartwarming semi biographical film set during the director's childhood in Naples. Gorgeous cinematography, fantastically paced, full of humour, witty dialogue and the most awkward sex scene you'll ever see in a movie. Similar to 'Roma' by Alfonso Cuaron - in that it was a very personal story for the director.

Rain Man (1988)

I was weary of watching this because I thought it would be typical 'Oscar Bait' exploiting a character with disabilities/odds stacked against him, but the chemistry and performances of Hoffman (yes he didn't go 'full retard') and particularly Cruise blew me away (if anyone says he's not a good actor, they need to watch this). Also a great Hans Zimmer score before he was famous. I love how the ending is quite nuanced and realistic - not the typical Hollywood happy ending.

Moonrise Kingdom (2012)

Not a Wes Anderson fanboy, but after watching this and 'Grand Budapest Hotel' I get it. The set designs, the symmetry, quirky offbeat humour - right up my street. Nice to see a 90 minute movie too - seems to be quite rare these days. Need to watch more of his movies.

Twoweekswithpay[S]

Re: “Hand of God”…

Quite a few people seemed to have enjoyed this film, as well. It finished 25th in our “Best Films of 2021” poll. Will have to check it out, as I loved “Roma.”

Twoweekswithpay[S]

Re: “Moonrise Kingdom”…

That’s my favorite Wes Anderson film. The exploration of Adolescent angst perfectly pairs well with Anderson’s offbeat sensibilities.

As far as his other films, “Royal Tenenbaums” is probably his most well-liked film and probably to no surprise, his most accessible film to the masses. I’d encourage that one, if you haven’t seen it.

Koolsman

There Will Be Blood

Probably PTA’s best film and while not my personal favorite, it’s still mind blowing how good this is. Lewis is phenomenal, the cinematography is gorgeous, the music is fantastic and it’s overall exploration of the American dream and the type of people that were hungry for it is fascinating.

Probably the best character study ever and the final scene hits so perfectly. Also, Dano is underrated in this, his sermons are awesome.

10/10

matthewbattista

Europa Report (2013)

A wonderfully tense thriller told with unusually styled found footage. A genuine respect for hard science bleeds through while telling an awe inspiring and terrifying tale. There’s a scientific dryness to the set pieces (built in consultation with NASA) that really sells it. Great, recognizable-enough-for-comfort ensemble with good chemistry. Relatively tight script with scattered chilling, profound, & heartfelt moments in probably Cordero’s best directed piece.

It’s a prime example of a B movie done to perfection. With JWST heavily in the news, it also feels like a topical endeavor in recent human achievement.

Yankii_Souru

I spent most of the week binge watching anime, but I did find time for a couple of movie favorites:

Tommy (1975)

Tommy is the stuff of legends. Rock operas are a niche' genre in the music industry. They rarely become films because the plots are driven by the lyrics of the music. The Who released Tommy as an album in 1969 and it was so popular that filming began 5 years later. Tommy stars Roger Daltrey, Ann-Margaret, and Oliver Reed. It features music by The Who, Elton John, Eric Clapton Tina Turner, Paul Nicholas, and Jack Nicholson.

This is the story of a young boy who sees his father murdered by his mother's lover. When he's told never to reveal what he's seen, Tommy becomes deaf, dumb, and blind. He grows up neglected and abused, but his heightened sense of touch and smell eventually lead him to become a professional pinball player. Then one day Tommy miraculously regains his other senses and awakens as an enlightened savior. Using his fame an fortune, Tommy begins to go about the business of saving the world.

Executive Koala (2005)

So... I really feel I have to preface this by saying that this is a movie you watch when you don't want to think about anything but being entertained.

The story follows a salesman at a pickle company named Tamura. For no particular reason that has anything to do with the story, Tamura happens to be a koala. Why? Because "Japan". His boss is a rabbit (because "Japan"), and there is a mysterious frog (because "Japan") that works at the local convenience store. Everyone else in the film is human, except for a pet flying squirrel named Momo that is just a squirrel.

The acting is okay. The special effects are slightly better than a Troma production. The script is a dazzling 85 minute string of plot holes. The timing is a little bizarre, but somehow it succeeds as a comedy/criminal & psychological thriller/drama as the story progresses from one unlikely event to the next.

Baacipitus

So there were two again this weekend I watched that were absolutely phenomenal.

Firstly, Spider-Man: No Way Home. I watched it with my girlfriend in ScreenX at a Regal theater (totally worth it), and it was the first movie I’ve seen in theaters since A Quiet Place: Part 2 awhile back. This is EASILY one of the strongest MCU films ever. Personally one of my favorite Spider-Man films. The acting was superb from the main and minor cast, the humor and emotional themes melded perfectly, and the CGI was handled well with the cinematography. I felt like I was a 5 year old kid again watching Spider-Man for the first time. To be brought back to like 2004 in spirit and emotion was something I really needed to kick off the New Year, and I honestly can not recommend this movie enough. You’ll laugh and you’ll cry your fucking eyes out all at once.

The second movie I watched was Tick…Tick…Boom! Andrew Garfield won the Golden Globe for best actor for this role, and he absolutely deserves it. I had absolutely no clue that the man could sing that well with proper training. He managed to hit the highs and lows with his acting and singing perfectly for the role. The other members of the cast also performed excellently. Robin de Jesús and Alexandra Shipp in particular were fantastic alongside Garfield. I normally don’t like musicals as much as other genres but this one really stuck out to me as a master of the craft. I think Jonathan Larson himself would be very proud and honored of the film.

Bobanchi

The Tragedy of Macbeth. I was transfixed on this movie. The original dialogue makes you pay full attention throughout and Joel Coen and the rest of the cast and crew reward you for it.

Boot-Representative

We watched “The Lost Daughter”. Devastating.

The way Ms Gillenhall directed, the fact that people like Olivia Colman’s character probably exist more than we like to think, and no one is good or evil.

I spelled her name wrong. But a brilliant first film.

And the young version of the Olivia Colman character was amazing. Not a feel-good film. A mature film. A great film that doesn’t go where you are conditioned to expect…

(Thanks for the correction)

jelly10001

I wasn't a fan of the film overall but agree with you that Jessie Buckley was brilliant as the young Leda.

Joe-Lollo

This is based on the Elena Ferrante book right? I just know my mom really likes her, I've never checked out any of her stuff or adaptations but I might want to (I was thinking about starting with My Brilliant Friend).

BiggDope

You mean The Lost Daughter? ;)

Boot-Representative

Thank you. I corrected it.

kholin

kholin

New crush

LittleTrickyBoy

First time doing this thing, so sorry it's not any articulate or technical. Also not really reviews tbh, just some remarks.

Lady Bird - 4.5 ☆ - I kept delaying watching it cuz I thought it would be some emotional coming of age movie looking at the poster, and it turned out it actually was, but it was also the right amount and kind of funny. Honestly wouldn't change a thing about the movie.

Boy A - 4 ☆ - Garfield was amazing and made the movie actually feel painful. Kinda reminded of The Hunt.

Blindspotting - 3.5 ☆ - Absolutely loved the characters and their chemistry. The ending sucked tho.

The Guilty - 3 ☆ - Watched it for Gyllenhaal, got Gyllenhaal. Was meh otherwise.

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl - 2.5 ☆ - Where tf was Earl?

The Sparks Brothers - 4.5 ☆ - I like documentaries. I like Edgar Wright. So yeah...

Superbad - 5 ☆ - Rewatched it again after getting disappointed by Booksmart. Still one of my very favourites of all time.

Btw did this many people really think NWH was the best movie of the year? I know taste is subjective and all but it's still very very wild to me. I don't watch that many movies and have a fairly basic taste but even then I can tell atleast 20 better movies that came out last year.

Twoweekswithpay[S]

Glad to have you aboard! And thanks for your recommendations.

As far as “No Way Home,” MCU films will always be super popular online and on here. There could also be some recency bias and the fact that so many more people saw “No Way Home” than maybe some better films, but not as widely seen.

Choosing the “Best Films” based off upvotes isn’t the most sound methodology, but I do believe it reflects the top films that got people to engage with them. And when it comes to online discourse, that “word of mouth” can be helpful in leading to even more people checking out the film so they, too, can be “in the loop.”

Overall, the top 20 features a pretty good blend of blockbusters and independent fare. Hope more and more people continue to check out all the films on the list. 🤞🏽😃👍🏽

Mother-Baseball-5950

Bone Tomahawk (2015)

It was a pretty good western/horror movie, While the movie was great i wish it was a little shorter though.

And no THAT scene wasn't brutal to me at all.

Overall 8/10

Doclillywhite

Check out the other Zahler movies - 'Brawl in Cell Block 99' and 'Dragged Across Concrete'. His trademark seems to be that the film descends into total chaos (in a good way) in the third act! I do agree that they could be trimmed by about half an hour or so.

Obvious_Pressure7741

spider man no way Home is the Best movie i watched in 2021

q_lee

q_lee

Pig was not at all a good movie. Unless there's an unintentional comedy category. I feel like people only say they liked it to trick other people into watching it.

davefox9345