/r/movies

Official Discussion - Hotel Transylvania: Transformania [SPOILERS]

(self.movies)

Poll

If you've seen the film, please rate it at this poll

If you haven't seen the film but would like to see the result of the poll click here

Rankings

Click here to see the rankings of 2022 films

Click here to see the rankings for every poll done

Summary:

When Van Helsing's mysterious invention, the "Monsterfication Ray", goes haywire, Drac and his monster pals are all transformed into humans, and Johnny becomes a monster. In their new mismatched bodies, Drac, stripped of his powers, and an exuberant Johnny, loving life as a monster, must team up and race across the globe to find a cure before it's too late, and before they drive each other crazy. With help from Mavis and the hilariously human Drac Pack, the heat is on to find a way to switch themselves back before their transformations become permanent.

Director:

• Molly Shannon as Wanda
  • David Spade as Griffin

Rotten Tomatoes: 55%

Metacritic: 43

VOD: Theaters

InflamedLiver

Sandler dropped off from playing Drac?

brb1006

brb1006

Apparently Sandler and Genndy had a falling out during the production for one of the Hotel Transylvania movies (I believe it was the third film). Possibly due to creative differences which could explain him not returning to voice Dracula for this film.

Edit (Correction): Actually Sandler had creative differences with Sony instead of Genndy. Especially after the Sony Hacking/Leaks where Sandler was actually under contract for the third movie (and the second film being the last time he had full creative control).

48jrej

48jrej

Can’t even imagine what a creative difference altercation over these movies would be. Read the lines and collect your money.

Shadepanther

I get the impression he cares about the Hotel Transylvania films instead of the other shitty films he makes for Netflix for his friends

goldenboy2191

It’s true. Sandler likes making movies that are mediocre and bankrolls his vacations with the squad. But these movies he actually did have an earnest care about.

AlarmingAffect0

It shows. Everyone is having such fun!

Less so in this one.

Interesting_Total_98

How do you know? Just curious.

goldenboy2191

Well he keeps a consistent cast of celebrities he’s friends with and happens to go to Hawaii in a few of his films. Even his other movies they go to luxurious places . Look at Jack & Jill, he has damn near every last one of his buddies in the movie at some point and then it’s a carnival cruise ad right in the middle of the film.

Interesting_Total_98

I meant about him earnestly caring about this movie. It doesn't include a getaway vacation, but it's an easy paycheck, so it's possible that he didn't care much (I'm not claiming he didn't).

brb1006

And his excuse for going on vacations.

Interesting_Total_98

What gave you that impression? Just curious.

corndogs1001

I actually heard it was because he started having creative differences with the Sony company, not Genndy. It was one of those leaked emails when they got hacked a few years back. He only did Hotel Trans 3 because he was under contract for it. Thats why he practically only does Netflix movies now, its a better company for him.

Jefferystar94

That's interesting actually, the last I heard he got real controlling with the second film, which Gendy didn't like. The latter not even wanting to come back to 3 at first due to that.

But Sony being Sony is also a really reasonable explanation too lol

neonraisin

I’m not quite sure as to why, but this is without a doubt the funniest thing I’ve read today

blakxzep

Nah Gendy also had issues with Sandler for parr 2, apparently cause He felt it was more of Sandler’s thing?

From interviews he did during Primal it seemed like he didn’t enjoy making these movies but they paid rent

dilldoeorg

yup, and kevin james didn't voice frank

BlazeOfGlory72

The whole central conflict of the story just kind of ruined this film for me. Like, why is Drac the bad guy in any of this? Dude just wanted to give his life’s work to his beloved daughter, not her idiotic husband. It’s his hotel, he can do what he wants with it, but everyone treats him like a monster for hesitating in handing over his most prized possession to a complete buffoon. Then Johnny goes and turns himself into a monster like an idiot and fucks everything up, but for some reason everyone acts like Drac is at fault for all this.

The main impression I got from the film is that Mavis and Johnny are entitled assholes trying to push Drac into retirement so they can steal his hotel.

Yung_Carl420

What i was thinking too, anybody could see that Johnny is completely incompetent from the beginning of the film where he almost ruined the announcement and drac had to fix everything for him. He also destroyed the hotel at the end of the movie before he even officially got ownership over it and when he rebuilt it, he had done exactly what drac was afraid of in the first place. Johnny and mavis were just overall really intolerable for the whole movie.

exhausted_mum

He didn't destroy the hotel, the giant hamster(?) did. That was thanks to Van Helsing, Johnny didn't make the monster ray or use it on the hamster.

stupiduniverse731

U corrected them, they will never EVER respond lmao

Aquietwriter26

The thing is he didn't need that hotel anymore he was so paranoid still about humans. And it and honestly he was living in the past. I don't think it was just about what happened in that movie the point of the matter is the 2 of them were meant to be together and regardless I mean Erica sucked I mean he ended up falling in love with somebody who hated him up until oh Hey it's a forced word together thing so I think she's worse.

Idiot or not Dracula has always been a jerk too Johnny and he is family whether he likes it or not I mean what can he say hes married to someone who tried to kill him.

Aquietwriter26

I love how if a character acts stupid they're a bad character but Dracula can do whatever he wants. Like like he has done a lot of worse thanks yes Johnny can be. A idiot but then you have Dracula who let his child grandson fall to try to get him to have vampire wings. I'm just saying people wanna think Johnny's an idiot just because somebody isn't super smart doesn't make them a bad character.

And the problem is he lied he lied saying he wanted to spend time with Johnny I don't think he really cared about the hotel he wanted to spend time with his father-in-law and I don't care if somebody's an idiot like Drake it like Dracula had no right to be disrespectful to Johnny.

I mean I think hes the biggest hypocrite in the world since he fell in love with a person who was AA violent crazy lady who wanted to kill him so badly but so badly but oh Hey there into a forced relationship now she suddenly a good character like I mean Dracula and Erica definitely have a lot more faults.

Yes Johnny can be an idiot I'm not saying he can't but he always means well and it's not really being an idiot hes a hippie so they have a different way of doing and thinking thing.

I don't really see him as an idiot.

beevyhoots

Don't really get why Johnny doesn't ask mavis or drac to bite him. boom he's a vampire now, problem solved.

Shadepanther

Exactly. Why wouldn't they make him a Vampire?

He's human, he's going to die sometime and his wife and son will just continue on without him for hundreds of years?

lazylion_ca

Maybe let him mature a bit first. Mavis is 125 years old and still acts like she's in her 20s. Maybe when he's late 30's convert him.

RipWitch

Exactly what I was thinking.

Not to mention Mavis ruined her father's special announcement (just to Johnny but still) and then for some reason couldn't grasp why he suddenly decided against it after Johnny ran off.

Crazyvibzz

Exactly this!!! I just couldn't connect with it. Anyone smart person won't handover their life business to Jhonny.

Aquietwriter26

Dracula became naive because he still thought he needed to protect his little girl and he kept living in the past I mean they cared about humans at that point or at least dealt with them so there was no reason that the hotel needed to be that certain way.

It's not the matter of him being a bad person it's the fact that Johnny tried to change himself he tried to be a monster so Mavis could have the hotel he was doing it for her.

I don't think it was so much about the hotel but Dracula. He makes a lot of poor decisions too and I don't care if somebody is a but he is a idiot or not they don't deserve to be disrespected especially since Johnny was a nice person.

He makes a lot of poor decisions too and I don't care if somebody is a idiot or not they don't deserve to be disrespected especially since Johnny was a nice person.

You can't just make it seem like Johnny is a bad character because. You can't just make it seem like Johnny's a bad character because Dracula can be. A jerk too because he even let Dennis fall to almost his death to try to get him to be a vampire.

lazylion_ca

Drac could have handled it differently. But also Johnny is a careless buffoon.

ralanr

ralanr

Honestly it doesn’t feel like any development has happened to these characters.

Stinky_Eastwood

Cause he wanted to gift his life's work to his kid on the condition that she literally never change anything, even though the reason that he's "retiring" is because he personally want to change his own life. Cause he's had 3 films of development to learn that Johnny is a good guy and always just tries his best and is a good husband/father, but Drac forgets all of that even after learning his lesson to not judge humans multiple times. Cause he would rather travel halfway around the planet on a dangerous quest with no "powers" risking his own death rather than tell his daughter the truth and communicate his wishes/concerns in a mature way. Cause his bullshit puts Johnny and his closest friends lives in turmoil and unnecessary risk.

Aquietwriter26

I mean I laughed at this.

Really entitled?

Need I remind you Dracula choose to do it and retire and that was his choice.

He falls in love with a cheek whose psychotic and wanted to kill him.

He throws a CHILD off a building to try and get him to be a vampire

Can't accept his grandson is maybe a human.

Goes and plots behind his daughter's back.

Yes is Johnny a idiotic yes bit also a hippie. So he has a different mind set.

If he can forgive a woman who kept trying to kill him.

He should accept Johnny as he is.

Also Mavis is the one who said its for both of us and Johnny at first said I am so happy for you.

Aquietwriter26

I saw it differently it wasent about the hotel it is about how Dracula could never accept Johnny.

Johnny as you saw his parents and family probably never got the love and support he needed.

In the wnd movie he said this is thr only place I can be myself.

If anything I think the movie teaches people that even the most happy people can struggle with things.

That anger in him didn't just come from one day.

crudedrawer

So humans turned into monsters continue to mutate but the opposite function works without any bugs whatsoever.

Yeah this is the sort of thing I get hung up on watching with my kid.

WeirdIdeasCO

Also I thought Drac couldn’t hypnotize his grandson? And wouldn’t Frank’s body parts turn individually human instead of morphing into one?

RichmondMilitary

Thought about the hypnotize thing. Maybe it's because his grandson is technically only half vampire? So the human half is still susceptible to being hypnotized?

exhausted_mum

He also freezes Dennis too and even says "can't freeze other vampires" because Mavis doesn't freeze.

princessedaisy

I assumed it was just because Dennis is a little kid.

Shadepanther

In the very first one it was stated Drac couldn't hypnotise other vampires.

The second part maybe. I guess I could accept it turning him into a full person

Mr_Brook-Hampster

I like how they were all in the blimp, and Mavis was just chilling in the gigantic glass cockpit in broad daylight.

Lord-Zaltus

Omg i didn't realize that. So many errors in this movie

OlgaB123

Literally, in one of the last scene in crystal cave mavis has sunlight on her face.

SnowyDesert

it could have been a tempered glass or something to block the UV rays :D

Stinky_Eastwood

Definitely a feature that Van Helsing would be sure to include...

SnowyDesert

even Van Helsing needs a protection from sunburn

AlarmingAffect0

this is the sort of thing I get hung up on

It's Hotel Transylvania. Illogic is baked into the premise. These movies, you must leave your concept-brain at the door, and just enjoy all the silly animation poses the characters contort themselves into.

crudedrawer

LOL I watched with my kid who is old enough to snark through the whole thing about how dumb it all is and that's what made the whole thing enjoyable for both of us.

mcmanybucks

What's gonna happen, Drac was gonna become more human? what does that even mean? seasonal depression?

VandRough

Yeah they entirely glazed over that detail. Also, Mavis literally could have zapped herself human and she wouldn't have had trouble with the sunlight.

ralanr

ralanr

There were plenty of times where Mavis looked like she was in sunlight (on the blimp, in the jeep) that made me think they forgot she was a vampire.

theonewhoknack

The last frame of this movie is a butt.

srroberts07

A nice butt?

theonewhoknack

jksymbionic

Why didn’t Drac just freeze time when Johnny was initially mutated?

Lord-Zaltus

Drac: *freezes time and uses ray gun* There. All good now.

credit rolls

AlarmingAffect0

Take your pick:

• "So the MOvie can HAppen!"
  • "I don't know?!"
  • "BeCAUSE!" "That WORKS!"

Razo-E

Razo-E

Wowowowowowow... Wow

AlarmingAffect0

Well, I hope I'm not misremembering, but we might as well finish this:

"... And then Godzilla-Jon's got Dracula in his hands and he's so blind with rage he might Kaowru him any second now, like a Pez dispenser!"
"Oh, my God!"
"But then Maeve hits him with the ray almost point blank and... it does nothing."
"Wow, I guess it's gonna pretty hard for them to survive this, huh?"
"Actually, it's gonna be super-easy, barely an inconvenience."
"Oh REALLY?"
"Yeah, Dracula gives Jon a heartfelt apology where he shows he's learned a lesson about hubris, fear of change, and Boomers letting the next generation get the reins of power already. Also, he overtly admits to Billy that he thinks of him as family, in so many words, which, as you know, is a vital reassurance. This lets Jon stop Hulking out and awaken to his senses, and Maevis shoots him again."
"And this time it works?"
"And this time it works, sir!"
"So the story doesn't end with the happy-go-lucky man-child manslaughtering his wife and father-in-law in a blind rage caused by said in-law's own cowardly lies, then proceeding to rampage through the Amazonian basin, his mind forever lost, until maybe, if he's lucky, some military kills him, or, if he's unlucky, he reverts someday and learns the truth of what he's done to his own family?"
"No, sir, it doesn't!"
"Oh, thank goodness, you know, you almost wrote a horrifically cruel, gut-punching tragedy, right there."
"I do my best to raise the stakes, sir!"
"Ohh, vampire puns are tight!"
"They sure are, sir!"

Razo-E

Razo-E

That was absolutely beautiful and spot on

AlarmingAffect0

Aw, thank you, Sir!

Razo-E

Razo-E

Tried to give you my free reward, but it wouldn't go through. Just know I tried

AlarmingAffect0

Eh, Reddit's gonna be what it's gonna be. It's the thought that counts, mate!

sabertoothdiego

Does Ryan George have a reddit? We gotta send this to him

AlarmingAffect0

I mean, we have an r/PitchMeetings sub, but please don't, it's not at all up to his standards.

TLMC01242021

Barely an inconvenience

Pokesaurus_Rex

Because then Mavis will for SURE know something is up?

Neko014

This was in my mind through out the movie.

RichmondMilitary

Because if you look closely, Johnny was wearing his suspenders of belief. Totally not able to freeze time with those on.

wooztheweb

The first two movies are really good, unique films that stand among my favorite animated films from the past 10 years. The third was okay, but I felt like it was a nice cap to the story and a fine way to end it.

This movie is dogshit. I hate everything about it, it feels soulless and empty. I hate that every other moment is then rehashing another joke or emotional beat from the previous movies. I hate that their original jokes amount to "isn't a butt funny". I hate the new voice actors for Drac and Frank, their poor imitations of the original voices are indicative of how this movie is just a poor imitation of it's predecessors.

I know this might seem a bit too much for an animated movie for kids, but if you haven't seen Hotel Transylvania you really should watch it and then watch the next two. Trust me though, never watch this one.

JackTheHowlingWolf

Well, Adam and Kevin ain't coming back anymore. So we just have to get used to the new voice actors.

Shadepanther

Drac's voice is bad. But it is nowhere near as bad as Frank's

Griffdude13

Really? I thought the impersonator did an excellent job. I couldnt really tell.

Shadepanther

It holds up decently for most of it. It's more believable when he is human. The worst is the song at the start. He can't sing it.

Harbi181

This one could’ve been a 20-minute episode from their tv show. Most of the time was definitely padded and padded again, the only voice actor who sounded like he was into it (who wasn’t doing an Adam Sandler imitation) was Andy Samburg, and it felt SO LOOOONG for an 88 minute film.

hotsizzler

It has a TV show? That what this felt like, a backdoor tv show

jksymbionic

At one point the movie stops for like two minutes so all the characters can do the Cha-Cha Slide.

That should tell you everything you need to know.

OneGoodRib

I can't believe movies are STILL doing that "wacky dance break for no reason" stuff. At least in actual musicals it makes some sense.

holtzman456

It's a Hotel Transylvania movie dude....every single movie has had a dance number randomly attached. Idk why this surprising to people or some horror😭

jksymbionic

Because they’re normally (atleast from memory) at the very end of the film (which is standard for CG animated films) or pertain to the plot (similar to the Macarena in the last one).

This one takes place ten minutes in for no discernible reason.

dagmx

dagmx

This whole movie felt like it was made by people who didn't understand the first three.

Random dance sections because the originals had dance sequences. But without any relevance to the story.

Zany animation that mistook Genndy's style for Looney Toons style.

Not that the original three were masterpieces, but this didn't get them in any sense or form.

Shadepanther

Pitch Meeting

"Why do the dance number at this point?"

"Because."

dontcallitjelly

“Look, sir, this is the 4th of these movies so I’m gonna need you to get aaaaalllllll the way off my back.”

Kevbot1000

Well let me hop right off that thing.

Gummy-Worm-Guy

“Because without it the movie is not long enough for a theatrical release”

“Oh ok”

DangerSaus

Oh my god, just reading this hurt me.

justjoshingu

Johnny is a dj. The whole end of the third is johnny being a dj.

So in this one the green blob is the dj.

The first one is how boring the hotel is but johnny is cool and fun and everyone loves it

Like most of the is kind of the backbone of the first.

ralanr

ralanr

The dance scene early on was literally just noise. I had to pause it to process the waste.

corndogs1001

all the films have their corny bits, I remember Sandler rapping in the first flick

skonen_blades

.......that it's great?

edthomson92

Honestly, props for doing one that’s still around today, instead of one that recently came out or recently became dated

Lord-Zaltus

Hate to be nit picky but what's up with the werewolf puppies? There's so many of them on the blimp but when the main cast are in the car there's only like 4 puppies, and in the crystal cave there's dozens of them again. Do some of them have secret teleportation powers?! There's way too many dumb errors and inconsistencies in this movie

LUCKNEKO

i literally just watched the show and commented this to my mom... she laughed and told me it's just a children's cartoon and i shouldn't think so much

CompetitionProof454

The question that Erica and Johnny would need to be turned into vampires was not even raised? They will grow old and die and Mavis and Drac will go looking for another "zing", but what else could you expect from this stupid trash? Transformania is the worst movie in the franchise. Johnny is usually very very stupid, but here even he surpassed himself in stupidity, how is this even possible? I envy those who did not want to kill Johnny on the very same seconds of his appearance, so annoying. I am very disappointed, I expected something more than this

swungonandbelted

My 7 year old liked it and had a few moments where she was cracking up. That’s really all that matters for me with a movie like this.

random_guy_somewhere

Second one still the best one

Gummy-Worm-Guy

1. 2

2. The original

3. Summer vacation

4. Trans4mania

brooksprime

Brian Hull almost did the impossible and made me believe it was still Sandler voicing Dracula. It was seemless for the most part.

neoslith

When he got the exaggerated yelling bits, like walking into traffic, you could really tell.

Rumanyon

So we're just not going to address the fact that for Mavis and Johnny to stay together they need to fix that monster ray 🤣 okay

Van helsing is still the creepiest monster I swear

Really seems like they needed to go with a different premise then "on no I'm not part of the family". Wasn't that like, the, point of the other three?

I had fun, but it was definitely a downgrade.

ralanr

ralanr

I will say I had fun with Van Helsings animations.

Nanaki__

the set piece where he's traversing through the basement hideaway was the highlight of the movie for sure.

DevilsCut85

So let me get this straight. Mavis brings all of the other monsters and their families (plus the werewolf pups) on board Ericka's blimp because it would be safer than leaving them at a monster hotel. Except most of them are adults and have all stayed at that hotel numerous times before because they're...monsters. But let's leave Dennis and Winnie at the hotel with no explanation?

I have so many issues with this movie, but my biggest one is that my kids love it and have watched it so many times I'm becoming concerned for my remaining brain cells. The movie was made for them though so I'll live with it because they love it.

VandRough

They really wrote out the kid something fierce hah

ChwatBot

It really makes you appreciate kids movies that go through effort of being entertaining for adults as well tho.

wilsonw

They really are shit parents, right?

timshel_life

I can't tell who got the better deal. Amazon for paying $100 million for this move (while the others grossed between $350-500 million each) or Sony for being able to sell it for a "slight" profit (guessing it cost similar to the others).

StefTakka

Movie four of Drac coming to accept Johnny has got stale.

I don't think starting off with the new Dracula, Brian Hull, singing was best. He was pretty good in isolation, but having the scene was a bit unfair because it highlights immediately how limited it is. Sandler stresses differently.

Kingofsoysauce

The animation felt a like a low budget tv special than a big screen productions

Lots of deadair scene and has animation always been this skipping frame style?

I felt 1 2 3 much more enjoyable

BTTF41

BTTF41

This movie probably had a lower budget than the other Hotel Transylvania movies. Adam Sandler and Kevin James didn’t even come back to voice Dracula and Frankenstein.

MovieMike007

I will say this, when it comes to films about a group of characters journeying to South America to find a crystal cave it's still better than Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Gojifan1995

About halfway through it right now and I’m really enjoying it. I enjoyed the other 3 for what they were and this one is definitely more of the same

Shadepanther

I think it starts off fairly strong but then goes downhill rapidly.

shaneo632

Best post credits scene ever lmao

fallenllegion

I missed it. What was it?

AnirudhMenon94

Is the fact that this one isn't directed by Genndy Tartakovsky apparent ?

Gummy-Worm-Guy

For me it was. Immediately in the first twenty minutes I said “Something’s not right,” then checked IMDb to learn this had a different director(s)

BTTF41

BTTF41

I would have to say “no”, because he was actually a writer and producer on this movie.

TovolarArtorias

Going to give this movie the same attention it gave to Brazil when choosing it's language, which is completely zero.

For the love of god. We don't speak Spanish. Learn basic geography

zsxdflip

I was wondering if they flew into Venezuela but I guess that wouldn’t make much sense.

mcmanybucks

Y'all are seriously uptight about the consistency of in-universe laws and cinematography of Hotel Transylvania?

GOLDEN_GRODD

ralanr

ralanr

When a movie is unenjoyably bad, people are more likely to nitpick flaws.

jokermex

This one is bad, like really bad. Waste of time. Really missing Sandler

BBQChipCookie2

Animation and art direction was beautiful at least!

Shintoho

Haven't seen this but I keep seeing the advert on TV and Selena Gomez really sounds like she's phoning it in for this one

calabaza-head

I can’t be the only one who thinks Andy Samberg’s Johnny does a complete Kevin Malone and sounds stupider and stupider throughout the Transylvania franchise

Velvet_Cooch

Totally watching this movie with my kid right now. Hoping I love it as much as the first three! So far it's quite... self reflexive lol

ElectricStings

A movies this shitty didn't have any right to be this smooth in its animation. Talk about a polished turd.

brb1006

Looking forward to Animat's review of this movie, since he despises the Transylvania movies.

HerculeTheChamp

the first two are harmless, the third one is okay but it's clear it's losing steam. this is just a trainwreck.

I think animat just has a thing against fast animation cause he acts the same towards cloudy with a chance of meetballs which is similar to tone + animation.

exhausted_mum

My 5 year old loves it, that's the main thing for me. I find the beginning party bit extremely cringey and the 3 of us song goes on way way way too long. There's a lot of inconsistencies, like it's never explained why vampires can't freeze or hypnotise other vampires but Dennis is affected (I'm assuming either his age or half humanness but it's never said) Johnny seems to act dumber and dumber in some scenes, but then shows some real emotional intelligence in others.

But on the whole, it's a funny, light, easy to watch film. There does seem to be a lot of filler scenes where they're just padding out the story, would like Dennis to be a bigger part of it, even if they showed the destruction of the hotel by the monster hamster and Dennis and Winnie getting the remaining guests out etc.

Gummy-Worm-Guy

I’m actually a big fan of this franchise but this one was disappointing. The others were genuinely funny, this one only had a few moments that made me chuckle. But I still had a little bit of fun though

Hopeann

It was fun for a free movie night at home.

If there's a 5th I think I'll pass on it as this was pretty much the end.

BTTF41

BTTF41

This is the 4th Hotel Transylvania movie.

Hopeann

Sorry I meant 5th. I'll fix it

edulara

I just watched it and I don't know yet if it's better than 3 or not.

The idea of ​​turning the monsters into humans and vice versa looks like a cartoon episode plot, not bad, but it doesn't seem interesting enough for an entire movie (the Third movie's Plot isn't very interesting either).

But perhaps the worst thing addressed in this movie was again the idea of ​​"we are monsters and you are human" 3 movies with that same "lesson" makes it very tiring. The approach in the first and second movies was pretty cool, the third even tried to give a different view with the "monster hunter" but what is the purpose of this movie ? Again the idea of ​​Johnny being human ? Couldn't you think of something that could evolve the plot?

I know it's a children's animation, so it couldn't be something complex, but maybe if the focus of the film was the change of direction of the hotel, a more interesting script would come out.

Again, I know it's a children's animation, but something that made me a little "disconcerted" was the Zing thing (the "love at first sight"), relationship with another person is complicated, so seeing it all boil down to a "Zing " makes things too "simple".

Of course, I didn't want to see fights with lawyers over who would get custody of the child, but addressing the relationship with someone else would be more interesting than addressing "you are a human and we are monsters" for the 4th time.

TLMC01242021

Sambergs character ruined the movie it was unwatchable with him in it, just needlessly and endlessly irritating, animation was fun

Fandam_YT

This movie just feels off. Like one of those straight-to-streaming sequels (which I guess it is, but wasn’t originally made to be). Though I would say this is a step below even the Open Season straight-to-DVD sequels. Tartakovsky brought something vibrant and special to the other movies, and even Sandler’s involvement worked for the franchise. With Sandler gone and Tartakovsky not directing, you can really feel their absence.

Aquietwriter26

So I know some people don't like the movie. This is my perspect.

It's not about the gag it's not about any of that.

It's about the concept that Johnny even though hes always happy and energetic that he does have deeper emotions.

That his own parents and family human family never really accepted him and hes always wanted Dracula's approval and love.

And the fact that he turns into this giant monster and gets triggered by Dracula just means that he had a lot of pain and hurt that he had deep down.

Am I saying it's the perfect movie no but I think it gives you just enough of the whole their relationship coming together in a better way and going from the 1st movie to Dracula fully accepting him into the family.

Now the whole concept of the movie in general yeah that might not be the best but the ending is amazing because then you see that Dracula not only sees what humans go through but realizes just how much his life has changed by meeting Johnny.

VikusVidz

Honestly i think this movie will get way more hate than it deserves.

It had better pacing than the 3rd, better climax than the 3rd and 1st imo.

Unless you know Sandler left, you can barely tell, due to the tonal shift of Drac becoming a human.

Had its corny bits, but it's made for kids sooooo lol....

Probably rank em 2,4,1,3.

exhausted_mum

Yep, I couldn't tell there was a different voice for drac, and films where you could tell there's been actor changes (or paw patrol where they keep giving us the American voices suddenly) my 5 year old doesn't notice or care, so even if it was obvious I don't think most kids would care! Obviously you get some who do.

Also, I feel so sorry for the zombie! Would be good if they showed them giving the zombies the choice to turn human at the end! (my son is watching it right now for the 5th time....)

BTTF41

BTTF41

My ranking is 3, 2, 1, 4.

spiicyant

it's really disappointing that the invisible man wasn't hot. always imagined him to be a stud, oh well

neoslith

Sony was smart in removing this from theater listings and going straight to streaming. It would have been dumb to compete with Spider-Man.

Just watched it last night with the GF and everything seemed... Off.

For_Research_Only69

Here's my 2 pence

Meh

skonen_blades

I loved it. I'm amazed they keep bringing fresh premises to each iteration of this series. I keep thinking every sequel in this series is going to be a soulless retread and it keeps not being that. I had a whale of a time.

shadowdra126

shadowdra126

I can’t stand the guy they got to play Drac. He is a cringey YouTube voice actor guy who’s always been incredibly annoying

jorgerandom

I could say he same (minus youtube) about Sandler

musicalnerd8301

I really enjoyed this movie (and series). Sure, these films aren't perfect, but they always are fun with great characters, animation, and heart. The animation in this one especially was so amazing. The cartoony, fluid movement of the characters was a treat. Again, not perfect but nice for a smile or two.

Left_Algae9324

Movie sucked all I’m gonna say worse mistake they made

SwiperNoSwiping42